PDA

View Full Version : Article: Why An Off-season Trade Of Aldridge To Portland Could Be A Win-Win

cd021
06-09-2020, 11:19 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/why-lamarcus-aldridge-spurs-blazers-trade-win-win/

The Gist: Spurs get future assets, Portland Gets Aldridge and Aldridge gets to finish his career in Portland.

MultiTroll
06-09-2020, 11:40 AM
"It’s also unclear how much interest the Blazers have in a reunion with Aldridge."

Um ya there is no way Portland is giving up as much as described in the scenarios. Those would be great trades for the Spurs.

RD2191
06-09-2020, 11:43 AM
LMA never should've been a Spur, career loser whose never had what it takes.

weeks
06-09-2020, 11:45 AM
true but we can't get any free agents regardless so we're stuck with who we get

DPG21920
06-09-2020, 11:55 AM
This is the content I like to see :tu

GAustex
06-09-2020, 11:55 AM
At the time wit KY?
Was not it a decent thought?

Uriel
06-09-2020, 12:09 PM
A bunch of injured and / or washed up veterans plus a low first round pick isn’t exactly the most appealing package to part with your best player for. I’d rather keep him for next season (which would likely be Pop’s last), go all-in, and then thank him for his services next offseason when he’s past his prime and returns to Portland for his farewell tour.

Leetonidas
06-09-2020, 12:14 PM
I'd rather trade him to a team that needs a second or third star to get them over the top. Sending him to Portland just because he prefers that is likely what the Spurs would do but the assets they'd trade suck for LMA. I'd rather look elsewhere.

phxspurfan
06-09-2020, 12:18 PM
Portland wants to sign him for free, not trade valuable assets for him

spurspl
06-09-2020, 12:30 PM
great deal but portland will probably wait and sign him as a FA

DPG21920
06-09-2020, 12:52 PM

They cannot afford another year of not making a real push.

ZeusWillJudge
06-09-2020, 01:30 PM
A bunch of injured and / or washed up veterans plus a low first round pick isn’t exactly the most appealing package to part with your best player for. I’d rather keep him for next season (which would likely be Pop’s last), go all-in, and then thank him for his services next offseason when he’s past his prime and returns to Portland for his farewell tour.

What does "go all-in" look like with this team?

From Downtown
06-09-2020, 01:52 PM
But does it make sense for them with Nurk coming back?

spurspl
06-09-2020, 02:00 PM
But does it make sense for them with Nurk coming back?

lillard/cj/anfernee/lma/nurkic soo yes it makes sense. The question is will POR sacrifice 1st round pick to get LMA one year earlier. I doubt.

Gibbz
06-09-2020, 02:13 PM
lillard/cj/anfernee/lma/nurkic soo yes it makes sense. The question is will POR sacrifice 1st round pick to get LMA one year earlier. I doubt.

I don't know. Dame has to be pretty fed up and is getting to the age where he can't afford to waste another year.

BackHome
06-09-2020, 02:18 PM
A first round pick with LMA would net us a late first round pick which if I am Portland I am going all in win mode so would do it.

spurspl
06-09-2020, 02:31 PM
I don't know. Dame has to be pretty fed up and is getting to the age where he can't afford to waste another year.

i did not notice that POR cant trade 1st 2020, only 2021 draft, soo yeah now it makes more sense for POR.

talkspurs
06-09-2020, 03:13 PM
they could pick and trade the Players Spurs want after the Draft.

spurspl
06-09-2020, 03:30 PM
they could pick and trade the Players Spurs want after the Draft.

imo 14th draft player+collins,hood and ariza is too much for lma, isnt it??

lmbebo
06-09-2020, 03:42 PM
Think this basic trade has been thrown around on this forum for awhile. Maybe had Whiteside before as an expiring contract.

Im ok with it. Not gonna get a huge return on a 34 year old player. Not familiar enough Collins to guesstimate his potential . Article doesn't get into contract terms of the players involved. SA is looking to have space in 2021 and I don't think they would do this trade unless they had a clear path to dump any player that goes beyond that date.

I would also throw this in:

Looks like they all have potential to be off books by 2021. But taking on Hood and Ariza. Would look to have one or both of them and/or Gay to be gone as well. Old and/or injured SFs ...

TD 21
06-09-2020, 04:12 PM
We've had this discussion before and I still don't buy that the Trail Blazers would move two quality young assets and gut their wing depth, only to be left with a top heavy, ill-fitting roster.

The logical trade is still Aldridge for Nurkic. Who knows if he'll ever be the same again, but if he can even get back to 80-90%, the Spurs more than likely can't get a better asset than that. Meanwhile, the Trail Blazers would be left with a sensible roster that would leave them squarely in pseudo contention territory.

talkspurs
06-09-2020, 05:38 PM
imo 14th draft player+collins,hood and ariza is too much for lma, isnt it??

Depends on how ad they want him back. Aldridge was an all star last year I think. He is getting old yes but still has a few years. 14th pick is also not a high pick. the pick is the main component of this trade most of the rest is cap filler/some hope.

DPG21920
06-09-2020, 05:44 PM
We've had this discussion before and I still don't buy that the Trail Blazers would move two quality young assets and gut their wing depth, only to be left with a top heavy, ill-fitting roster.

The logical trade is still Aldridge for Nurkic. Who knows if he'll ever be the same again, but if he can even get back to 80-90%, the Spurs more than likely can't get a better asset than that. Meanwhile, the Trail Blazers would be left with a sensible roster that would leave them squarely in pseudo contention territory.

Hood and Ariza wouldn’t be gutting their depth at all. They have Little there ready for a bigger role and Melo. Not to mention Ariza/Hood suck.So between guys on their roster needing bigger roles and MLE to replace some depth, no question they improve their team.

DPG21920
06-09-2020, 05:56 PM
There are many teams that could use LMA where trades are conceivable. POR makes a ton of sense because there already seems to be more than mutual interest between the two star players and a history and environment (Lillard getting PAID & POR needing to advance).

But the real question is going to be what is SA planning to do? If Pop sticks around then it seems highly unlikely they will change course? If Pop didn’t want this last season to be a rebuild for his last year, why would he want his real last year to be a rebuild?

Spurs have shown a stunning lack of direction and cohesiveness and creativity so I am not holding my breath on them working deals.

Floyd Pacquiao
06-09-2020, 05:57 PM
I’d rather rid derozan and keep Aldridge. When LA is shooting 3s he’s the perfect center for today’s game ; he’s a good rim protector as well

cd021
06-09-2020, 06:22 PM
i did not notice that POR cant trade 1st 2020, only 2021 draft, soo yeah now it makes more sense for POR.

Portland isn't bound by the Stepian Rule, they drafted Nasir Little last season. They have their firsts going forward.

TD 21
06-09-2020, 06:36 PM
Hood and Ariza wouldn’t be gutting their depth at all. They have Little there ready for a bigger role and Melo. Not to mention Ariza/Hood suck.So between guys on their roster needing bigger roles and MLE to replace some depth, no question they improve their team.

It would on the wings and they'd have limited flexibility to replace them. Good luck getting serviceable 2-way wing play for cheaper or contending without it.

Little can't shoot and a lineup featuring him and Nurkic would be spacing deficient around their big 3. Also, Aldridge can't defend "PF's" anymore and Anthony can't defend "SF's".

murpjf88
06-09-2020, 07:43 PM
There are many teams that could use LMA where trades are conceivable. POR makes a ton of sense because there already seems to be more than mutual interest between the two star players and a history and environment (Lillard getting PAID & POR needing to advance).

But the real question is going to be what is SA planning to do? If Pop sticks around then it seems highly unlikely they will change course? If Pop didn’t want this last season to be a rebuild for his last year, why would he want his real last year to be a rebuild?

Spurs have shown a stunning lack of direction and cohesiveness and creativity so I am not holding my breath on them working deals.

You grossly exaggerate LMA's value. The Cavs wouldn't even give up a late first rounder for him and now he's two years older, with a balky shoulder. Portland won't give up squat to get him and they probably wouldn't have to either. Pop will accept whatever crap the Blazers would be willing to part with because he doesn't like to be confrontational. That would be worse than keeping his sulky ass in San Antonio another year which is what they should have done with Kawhi.

alpha_HaZE
06-09-2020, 11:38 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/why-lamarcus-aldridge-spurs-blazers-trade-win-win/

The Gist: Spurs get future assets, Portland Gets Aldridge and Aldridge gets to finish his career in Portland.

I got roasted when I advocated trading LA for Nurkic + Al-Farouq Aminu a couple of summers ago.

Having said that, it might be a good trade for us.

spurs10
06-10-2020, 12:21 AM
They cannot afford another year of not making a real push. This is my thought. Known of them have time to dawdle. Now would be the time.

cd021
06-10-2020, 12:41 AM
I got roasted when I advocated trading LA for Nurkic + Al-Farouq Aminu a couple of summers ago.

Having said that, it might be a good trade for us.
That may have been more related to timing. Aldridge was coming off his best season then, it might've seemed like the Spurs were selling low. Nurkic, when healthy is a good asset. Aldridge is 10 years older and still better but swapping the two now would make a lot more sense.

cd021
06-10-2020, 12:51 AM

Problem is that Portland can't really afford to wait. They have a really good player who shows interest in joining their team and their best player apparently wants to play with him again.

Their a small market team with a couple of stars in their late 20's. Now's the time for them to make a push towards contention, not wait until after next season and hope he is still interested and hasn't fallen off.

They cannot afford another year of not making a real push.

Agreed. They went from the WCF to, likely, not making the playoffs. That probably isn't going to sit well with Lillard. They'll probably going to need to do something big sooner rather than later or risk Lillard and or CJ eventually wanting out.

alpha_HaZE
06-10-2020, 03:15 AM
That may have been more related to timing. Aldridge was coming off his best season then, it might've seemed like the Spurs were selling low. Nurkic, when healthy is a good asset. Aldridge is 10 years older and still better but swapping the two now would make a lot more sense.

Sorry, not after his best season but after the season where he asked to be traded, sorry texted Damian and asked if Portland can trade for him. Portland fans had given up on Nurkic and even though he was a very friendly contract; 10mi a year or something close to that, they were ready to trade him. My reasoning at the time was with LA gone we are more likely to keep Kawhi and if not we are ready for a rebuild.

Ocotillo
06-10-2020, 08:35 AM
You're going about this all wrong, if Dame and LMA want to play together again, bring Dame to SA.

TD 21
06-10-2020, 03:39 PM
Here's an alternate one: Aldridge for Hood, Hezonja and the 14th (or if they sneak in, 15th-17th).

Hood is projected to return from his torn Achilles by the start of next season. Obviously, he won't be 100% and the deal is primarily about the pick, but he'd fill a short term need (though erratic, a proven wing shooter/scorer) and if his return is similar to Gay's, he could probably fetch 2 2nd's by the trade deadline.

slick'81
06-10-2020, 03:46 PM
You mean spurs would actually do something to benefit the team? shocker

MultiTroll
06-10-2020, 03:58 PM
You're going about this all wrong, if Dame and LMA want to play together again, bring Dame to SA.
Unloading DD would be great. But who else has to go?
DJ, Walker IV and White?
I don't like it.

cd021
06-10-2020, 06:08 PM
Here's an alternate one: Aldridge for Hood, Hezonja and the 14th (or if they sneak in, 15th-17th).

Hood is projected to return from his torn Achilles by the start of next season. Obviously, he won't be 100% and the deal is primarily about the pick, but he'd fill a short term need (though erratic, a proven wing shooter/scorer) and if his return is similar to Gay's, he could probably fetch 2 2nd's by the trade deadline.

Nurk or Ariza would have to included to make the math work on a trade.

If Portland won't give up Nurk, then Collins and Ariza would need to be subbed in to make the math work/ keep their team salary down ( either way the shouldn't be a tax-paying team though).

It would leave Portland with a hole at SF but they didn't have an issue with entering this season without one. I think they'll try and address their issues in the draft. Dame, CJ, Nurk and Aldridge is too talented a core to pass up for the relative low cost of Collins and a late first.

I do agree that Hood and even Ariza could be flipped for second's by next deadline, that would be a perk of acquiring them in a trade.

TD 21
06-10-2020, 06:28 PM
Nurk or Ariza would have to included to make the math work on a trade.

If Portland won't give up Nurk, then Collins and Ariza would need to be subbed in to make the math work/ keep their team salary down ( either way the shouldn't be a tax-paying team though).

It would leave Portland with a hole at SF but they didn't have an issue with entering this season without one. I think they'll try and address their issues in the draft. Dame, CJ, Nurk and Aldridge is too talented a core to pass up for the relative low cost of Collins and a late first.

I do agree that Hood and even Ariza could be flipped for second's by next deadline, that would be a perk of acquiring them in a trade.

It depends on the cap. Right now, the Trail Blazers are projected to be about $16 million under it, which is the difference between Aldridge's '20-'21 salary and the combined total of Hood's and Hezonja's.

They quickly moved to attempt to shore up "SF" though and Ariza played well (unsustainably so, granted). In free agency, they'd likely be left with lesser options like Harkless again, Carroll or Robinson.

They've always been high on Collins and given that he's a theoretical fit next to Aldridge and unlikely to break the bank, I doubt they'd move him.

Different circumstances/players, but the Pistons supposedly couldn't get an asset for Drummond (other than cap space) and the Cavaliers can't get one for Love, so it's unlikely Aldridge fetches multiple ones.

Also, the Spurs are an easy mark, who'll likely be more concerned with "doing right by" Aldridge than maximizing value.

talkspurs
06-10-2020, 08:25 PM
It depends on the cap. Right now, the Trail Blazers are projected to be about $16 million under it, which is the difference between Aldridge's '20-'21 salary and the combined total of Hood's and Hezonja's.

They quickly moved to attempt to shore up "SF" though and Ariza played well (unsustainably so, granted). In free agency, they'd likely be left with lesser options like Harkless again, Carroll or Robinson.

They've always been high on Collins and given that he's a theoretical fit next to Aldridge and unlikely to break the bank, I doubt they'd move him.

Different circumstances/players, but the Pistons supposedly couldn't get an asset for Drummond (other than cap space) and the Cavaliers can't get one for Love, so it's unlikely Aldridge fetches multiple ones.

Also, the Spurs are an easy mark, who'll likely be more concerned with "doing right by" Aldridge than maximizing value.

Drummond cant shoot and still had a PO so it was a 2 yr contract. Love I think has 3. Both of these are also considered overpaid. LMA only will ave one left and is not considered overpaid.

JuneJive
06-10-2020, 09:59 PM
It's all empty talk.

Portland won't go for any type of a deal involving a '21 pick and the Spurs won't accept anything less.

weeks
06-10-2020, 10:40 PM
:lol after how well that worked out for Aldridge? Dame ain't leaving Portland for SA

TD 21
06-10-2020, 11:52 PM
Drummond cant shoot and still had a PO so it was a 2 yr contract. Love I think has 3. Both of these are also considered overpaid. LMA only will ave one left and is not considered overpaid.

Hence why I said different circumstances/players. The point was, Aldridge is definitely worth a solid asset, but probably not multiple ones.

cd021
06-11-2020, 12:13 AM

I was operating under the assumption that the cap for next season will be around $105 million (previously, it was projected to be $115 million but it looks it will drop by around $10 million).

They'd be able to fit Aldridge in with Nurkic Cj Dame and their lottery pick plus the remaining players in the roster all while staying just under the presumed luxury tax.

Drummond had half a season left on his deal, Love is overpaid on a long-term deal with injury concerns. Aldridge has a full season remaining, has largely been healthy for his career (season ending injury not withstanding) and he's better than both.

Portland could very well like Collins but if it came down to it, I think they'd move him in order to get Aldridge. He not only puts them back in contention but it would also appease Lillard.

Prime BEEF
06-11-2020, 01:12 AM
Think Portland would do Nurkic/Ariza/14th pick for LMA. Doubt they would do Nurkic/Hood/Collins/14th pick for LMA. I think they prefer hood over ariza and just makes sense to move ariza’s contract money wise. And they like Collins too much and wouldn’t want to move him. I think the foundation of the deal for SA is Nurkic and 14th pick. If the deal doesn’t include that then should probably just walk away.

gambit1990
06-11-2020, 02:51 AM
click on the link for clicks

gambit1990
06-11-2020, 02:54 AM
la is an sa treasure

TD 21
06-11-2020, 03:43 PM
I was operating under the assumption that the cap for next season will be around $105 million (previously, it was projected to be $115 million but it looks it will drop by around $10 million).

They'd be able to fit Aldridge in with Nurkic Cj Dame and their lottery pick plus the remaining players in the roster all while staying just under the presumed luxury tax.

Drummond had half a season left on his deal, Love is overpaid on a long-term deal with injury concerns. Aldridge has a full season remaining, has largely been healthy for his career (season ending injury not withstanding) and he's better than both.

Portland could very well like Collins but if it came down to it, I think they'd move him in order to get Aldridge. He not only puts them back in contention but it would also appease Lillard.

Well if that's the case, my proposal would obviously be moot.

Again, I get the differences. I'm not saying Aldridge's value is equal to theirs, I'm saying I don't think he's worth multiple assets to their zero.

One of Nurkic, Collins or the (projected) 14th pick would have to be the asset and I actually think Collins is the one they'd be least amendable to moving in this trade.

Nurkic or 14th (plus Ariza and Hood) is an interesting debate for the Spurs, but I'd lean towards the latter because it can be used as part of a vehicle to another trade or make it easier to part with a player in a trade because they could conceivably select a similar one to replace them.

wildbill2u
06-11-2020, 04:30 PM
I wonder if LMA would be insulted if Portland didn't want him this coming year. Sure, the smart move by Portland would be too wait, but LMA is coming to grips with the fragility of the body in this game, no matter how powerful. Plus the end of a career is in sight for him anyway. He might think Portland shouldn't overlook him this year, if they really want him.

Who knows? We can all spin scenarios but so many things come into play with the business side of this damn game.

8FOR!3
06-12-2020, 08:45 AM
I would do any combination of Nurkic or Collins and the 14th pick for Aldridge. Whoever you have to throw in to make the money work. Dame is turning 30 and I would think it behooves them to make him happy by bringing Aldridge in. His contract ends after next season, right? I would think Portland doesn't want to risk it.

cd021
06-12-2020, 05:42 PM
Well if that's the case, my proposal would obviously be moot.

Again, I get the differences. I'm not saying Aldridge's value is equal to theirs, I'm saying I don't think he's worth multiple assets to their zero.

One of Nurkic, Collins or the (projected) 14th pick would have to be the asset and I actually think Collins is the one they'd be least amendable to moving in this trade.

Nurkic or 14th (plus Ariza and Hood) is an interesting debate for the Spurs, but I'd lean towards the latter because it can be used as part of a vehicle to another trade or make it easier to part with a player in a trade because they could conceivably select a similar one to replace them.

The Hood, Ariza, Collins and a 1st package wasn't meant to net the Spurs two assets, though it would obviously work out that way. Its really the only way that the math could work on a deal without including Nurk. I don't see Portland moving their lottery pick, only their 2021 first, because if they were to acquire Aldridge and keep Nurk then that pick would probably be twenties.

If Portland is willing to move Nurk, then Nurk and Ariza would work financially (Hood's inclusion wouldn't be necessary). That trade would have additional benefits to Portland; they could essentially offset Aldridge's salary and it would allow them to keep their first rounders.

If they do value Collins, then they'd be able to keep him too. That could make dealing Nurk more palatable to them. For the Spurs, a healthy Nurk is obviously a good return for Aldridge- though i'd worry that the Spurs wouldn't rebuild, instead try and retool.

TD 21
06-13-2020, 08:28 PM
The Hood, Ariza, Collins and a 1st package wasn't meant to net the Spurs two assets, though it would obviously work out that way. Its really the only way that the math could work on a deal without including Nurk. I don't see Portland moving their lottery pick, only their 2021 first, because if they were to acquire Aldridge and keep Nurk then that pick would probably be twenties.

If Portland is willing to move Nurk, then Nurk and Ariza would work financially (Hood's inclusion wouldn't be necessary). That trade would have additional benefits to Portland; they could essentially offset Aldridge's salary and it would allow them to keep their first rounders.

If they do value Collins, then they'd be able to keep him too. That could make dealing Nurk more palatable to them. For the Spurs, a healthy Nurk is obviously a good return for Aldridge- though i'd worry that the Spurs wouldn't rebuild, instead try and retool.

The math would work without a 1st that wouldn't even convey for a year.

I see these as the options: 1. Aldridge for Nurkic, 2. Aldridge for Ariza, Collins, 3. Aldridge for Ariza, Hood, 1st. Salary filler could be added to either of the first two if required.

I've thought all along that the Spurs will look to retool more so than re-build. I think they hope they have a bunch of potential core pieces in place already (including the incoming lottery pick) and will look to surround them with young veterans who can keep them somewhat competitive as they develop. The team will still suck either way, but there's still a difference between competitive bad and uncompetitive bad.

ducks
06-13-2020, 10:12 PM
With the salary cap going down would this be wise ?

pad300
06-13-2020, 10:26 PM

Depends which variant... Aldridge for Nurkic + Pick, would save the Spurs cap-space.

cd021
06-14-2020, 07:25 AM
The math would work without a 1st that wouldn't even convey for a year.

I see these as the options: 1. Aldridge for Nurkic, 2. Aldridge for Ariza, Collins, 3. Aldridge for Ariza, Hood, 1st. Salary filler could be added to either of the first two if required.

I've thought all along that the Spurs will look to retool more so than re-build. I think they hope they have a bunch of potential core pieces in place already (including the incoming lottery pick) and will look to surround them with young veterans who can keep them somewhat competitive as they develop. The team will still suck either way, but there's still a difference between competitive bad and uncompetitive bad.

-The Aldridge For Nurk, straight up, wouldn't work. Nurk will make $14.1 million. Aldridge will make $27.7 million. Hood would need to be added to meet trade requirements.

-The Ariza+Collins deal also wouldn't work, financially but just barely.

-The Ariza+Hood and a 1st would just barely work financially.

I would think Portland would to keep the outgoing salaries in the general range as Aldridge's massive salary to avoid any chance of paying the luxury tax. That's especially true with the report that the entire 20-21 season might be played without fans in the stadium ( that 40% of overall league revenue gone).

Thats why Nurk and Ariza trade seems to be the best Nurkic trade, in theory. They get to keep their picks, Collins, add Aldridge and still stay under the luxury tax.

If not Nurk then Collins would have to be included, otherwise they'll likely pay the tax. Ultimately, if Collins is the big holdup in in a potential Aldridge for Ariza, Collins, Hood and a '21 first then I could see Dame being the tiebreaker. That's a big enough of a deal where they'll likely at least consult with him, he'd likely approve.

Even if they love Collins, its a big risk to turn down such a trade and risk alienating Lillard and CJ. Their in their late 20's and playing for a small market team, that is generally the time and situations were stars begin to demand trades.

cd021
06-14-2020, 07:39 AM

The trade I proposed in the article would add about $3.5 million to the Spurs cap. That would put them at around $127 million.If they're willing to trade Aldridge then it signals a rebuild. DeRozan would likely be traded too, assuming that he opts in.

They can shed a lot of salary in a potential DeRozan trade (particularly to the Knicks, who reportedly have interest in him). They could also shop Ariza and Hood and shed even more salary. They could be underneath the lowered cap by the end of next season.

Depends which variant... Aldridge for Nurkic + Pick, would save the Spurs cap-space.

That trade doesn't work, financially. Also don't think Portland would move both Nurk and a pick. Nurk and Ariza would probably be the best/ most realistic Nurk package for Aldridge. Nurkic and Ariza make about $800,000 less than Aldridge next season.

DPG21920
06-14-2020, 09:26 AM
Nurk is not an asset. He may be to POR but shouldn’t be for SA with that injury.

TD 21
06-14-2020, 03:44 PM
-The Aldridge For Nurk, straight up, wouldn't work. Nurk will make $14.1 million. Aldridge will make $27.7 million. Hood would need to be added to meet trade requirements.

-The Ariza+Collins deal also wouldn't work, financially but just barely.

-The Ariza+Hood and a 1st would just barely work financially.

I would think Portland would to keep the outgoing salaries in the general range as Aldridge's massive salary to avoid any chance of paying the luxury tax. That's especially true with the report that the entire 20-21 season might be played without fans in the stadium ( that 40% of overall league revenue gone).

Thats why Nurk and Ariza trade seems to be the best Nurkic trade, in theory. They get to keep their picks, Collins, add Aldridge and still stay under the luxury tax.

If not Nurk then Collins would have to be included, otherwise they'll likely pay the tax. Ultimately, if Collins is the big holdup in in a potential Aldridge for Ariza, Collins, Hood and a '21 first then I could see Dame being the tiebreaker. That's a big enough of a deal where they'll likely at least consult with him, he'd likely approve.

Even if they love Collins, its a big risk to turn down such a trade and risk alienating Lillard and CJ. Their in their late 20's and playing for a small market team, that is generally the time and situations were stars begin to demand trades.

You're right. I was looking at their guaranteed total and overlooked the inclusive one.

Aldridge will make $24 million, but yeah Hood would need to be added to Nurkic to make it work.

Ariza and Collins works by including Hezonja ($1.98 million player option that I'd imagine he's likely to pick up).

Ariza could be borderline finished anytime, but he's essential to them because the only viable replacement would be Harkless, a lesser 3-point shooter, that they got rid of because he was erratic and not thrilled with his role. Bey looks like a potential plug and play option, but he may not last until their pick (if Spurs don't trade up, he's probably a strong candidate) and it'd be risky on their part to rely on him.

Lillard applying pressure is the Spurs' best potential leverage, but again, since when have they driven a hard bargain? In the end, Olshey will probably hold the line at one of the three assets they deem most expendable and the Spurs will probably capitulate so that they can "do right by" Aldridge.

cd021
06-15-2020, 12:12 AM
You're right. I was looking at their guaranteed total and overlooked the inclusive one.

Aldridge will make $24 million, but yeah Hood would need to be added to Nurkic to make it work.

Ariza and Collins works by including Hezonja ($1.98 million player option that I'd imagine he's likely to pick up).

Ariza could be borderline finished anytime, but he's essential to them because the only viable replacement would be Harkless, a lesser 3-point shooter, that they got rid of because he was erratic and not thrilled with his role. Bey looks like a potential plug and play option, but he may not last until their pick (if Spurs don't trade up, he's probably a strong candidate) and it'd be risky on their part to rely on him.

Lillard applying pressure is the Spurs' best potential leverage, but again, since when have they driven a hard bargain? In the end, Olshey will probably hold the line at one of the three assets they deem most expendable and the Spurs will probably capitulate so that they can "do right by" Aldridge.

-I was wrong too, I said Aldridge was making $27.7 million next season but I was thinking about DeRozan's option. He'll make $24 million.

-I think Collins is a fine prospect but if he's the sole prospect then I'm not interested and I don't think that PATFO would be either unless they add their '21 pick.

-They may need Ariza but I still think they'll want to keep Nurk more. If Lillard were to have his input I think he'd rather him and CJ plus Aldridge and Nurkic.

That makes them a contender. They'll have to find a plug and play 3 in that scenario. There are some options in the draft like Vassell and Okoro, but they are unlikely to slide to 14. There would be a hole there in my original trade scenario but considering they entered this season with a hole at 3, i'm sure that Portland would be willing to do it again- next season, but with a big talent upgrade.

-Agreed. The Spurs don't tend to drive a hard bargain, that a concern in a trade with the Blazers. I think that they'd probably ask for Nurk, considering he's closer in value to Aldridge- when healthy.

If and when Portland shoots that down, San Antonio would likely pivot towards a '21 first rounder. That wouldn't be a bad asset considering that the '21 draft is supposed to be much better than this draft.

TD 21
06-15-2020, 04:50 PM
-I was wrong too, I said Aldridge was making $27.7 million next season but I was thinking about DeRozan's option. He'll make $24 million.

-I think Collins is a fine prospect but if he's the sole prospect then I'm not interested and I don't think that PATFO would be either unless they add their '21 pick.

-They may need Ariza but I still think they'll want to keep Nurk more. If Lillard were to have his input I think he'd rather him and CJ plus Aldridge and Nurkic.

That makes them a contender. They'll have to find a plug and play 3 in that scenario. There are some options in the draft like Vassell and Okoro, but they are unlikely to slide to 14. There would be a hole there in my original trade scenario but considering they entered this season with a hole at 3, i'm sure that Portland would be willing to do it again- next season, but with a big talent upgrade.

-Agreed. The Spurs don't tend to drive a hard bargain, that a concern in a trade with the Blazers. I think that they'd probably ask for Nurk, considering he's closer in value to Aldridge- when healthy.

If and when Portland shoots that down, San Antonio would likely pivot towards a '21 first rounder. That wouldn't be a bad asset considering that the '21 draft is supposed to be much better than this draft.

- In theory, I don't think they'd be and I wouldn't be either. In reality, I'm not sure they can do better and if that's true, then it's either that/something of commensurate value or lose him for nothing the following off season.

- Maybe, but Nurkic-Aldridge is untenable in today's NBA and even if he can regain previous form, for a team trying to contend that would lack superior (super)star power, fit/depth become even more paramount. That's why they should prioritize Collins/Ariza/picks over Nurkic/Hood.

- As you said, they're unlikely to be available at 14. Even in the event one unexpectedly is, Vassell is a 2.5 and lacks the strength to defend big wings and Okoro can't shoot. They're also rookies, who might not be ready.

gambit1990
06-15-2020, 04:54 PM
just skimmed the article but i don't see a trade between the two teams.

i think spurs would want more than the blazers are willing to give. if i'm moving la and not getting a great return then i'd wanna attach demar... but then there'd be too many moving parts by then.

gambit1990
06-16-2020, 05:10 AM
la, rudy gay, trey for gobert, ingles, and ed davis.

buttsR4rebounding
06-16-2020, 05:49 AM
Portland has the highest payroll in the league. They are not signing Aldridge without a trade unless he signs for the mid level exception.

cd021
06-16-2020, 10:27 AM
- In theory, I don't think they'd be and I wouldn't be either. In reality, I'm not sure they can do better and if that's true, then it's either that/something of commensurate value or lose him for nothing the following off season.

- Maybe, but Nurkic-Aldridge is untenable in today's NBA and even if he can regain previous form, for a team trying to contend that would lack superior (super)star power, fit/depth become even more paramount. That's why they should prioritize Collins/Ariza/picks over Nurkic/Hood.

- As you said, they're unlikely to be available at 14. Even in the event one unexpectedly is, Vassell is a 2.5 and lacks the strength to defend big wings and Okoro can't shoot. They're also rookies, who might not be ready.

-If Collins, Ariza and the '21st pick, then that's a decent enough of a package for the Spurs to consider. Portland would be able to keep Hood, giving them at least at the 3 for them to try and add too, in the draft and free agency. They should still be able to stay under the tax while adding LMA to a Lillard, CJ and Nurkic core.

Spurs get an extra first in a better draft by moving on from Aldridge. They'd also likely be able to flip Ariza for a second or two and the Spurs would have a season to evaluate Collins before potentially having to pay him. That's about a good of a win-win scenario for Portland and San Antonio as I can realistically think of.

-I could see trade negotiations going like:

Spurs: We want Nurkic
Portland: (If Yes) Nurkic and Hood for Aldridge.
Spurs: (If No to Nurkic) We want a first rounder for Aldridge then.
Portland: (If Yes) Ariza, Collins, and protected '21 first round pick for Aldridge.

I don't think the Spurs are particularly good at playing hardball but I could see them not being in any rush not trade LMA, unless if Portland comes off of Nurk or a 1st. Failing to upgrade the team, after likely missing the playoffs, could provide Portland with enough pressure to reconsider later during the off-season.

spurspl
06-16-2020, 10:56 AM
PATFO always want too much in return so i wont be surprised if they ask for sth like: nurkic/ariza/anfernee and 1st 20'

TD 21
06-16-2020, 03:55 PM
-If Collins, Ariza and the '21st pick, then that's a decent enough of a package for the Spurs to consider. Portland would be able to keep Hood, giving them at least at the 3 for them to try and add too, in the draft and free agency. They should still be able to stay under the tax while adding LMA to a Lillard, CJ and Nurkic core.

Spurs get an extra first in a better draft by moving on from Aldridge. They'd also likely be able to flip Ariza for a second or two and the Spurs would have a season to evaluate Collins before potentially having to pay him. That's about a good of a win-win scenario for Portland and San Antonio as I can realistically think of.

-I could see trade negotiations going like:

Spurs: We want Nurkic
Portland: (If Yes) Nurkic and Hood for Aldridge.
Spurs: (If No to Nurkic) We want a first rounder for Aldridge then.
Portland: (If Yes) Ariza, Collins, and protected '21 first round pick for Aldridge.

I don't think the Spurs are particularly good at playing hardball but I could see them not being in any rush not trade LMA, unless if Portland comes off of Nurk or a 1st. Failing to upgrade the team, after likely missing the playoffs, could provide Portland with enough pressure to reconsider later during the off-season.

Hood is a T-rex armed 2.5 and will be coming off a torn Achilles. The reality is, there is no readily available Ariza replacement. The best bet is probably the corpse of Batum, who's on track for a buyout after next season's trade deadline. They'd probably have the inside track and the best chance to revive him, a la the Spurs with Diaw.

I don't think the Spurs are in a rush to trade Aldridge either. Ideally, I think they'd actually probably like to have him finish his career here. But the reality is, his willingness to play out his contract is probably tied to what happens to DeRozan and either way, it's clear he doesn't intend to stay beyond that.

The thing is, Collins essentially would be the 1st round pick. He's 22-23 with basically 2 years experience and likely a better prospect than what they'd find with a projected early-mid 20s 1st, even in a deep draft. Obviously, him being basically the lone asset would be a last resort type thing, but if push comes to shove it beats nothing.

ZeusWillJudge
06-16-2020, 06:57 PM
Aldridge leaves the Spurs.
Aldridge goes to Portland.

Win-win

TD 21
08-02-2020, 11:02 AM
Whatever possibility that might have existed of them parting with Nurkic, is likely gone. He's somehow bounced right back and doesn't seem to have hit his ceiling yet either.

That probably leaves a 1st or maybe Collins, plus Ariza, Hood and if necessary, salary filler.

The Heat would probably do Olynyk and 23.

The Nets, maybe Allen, Prince, Kurucs.

cd021
08-02-2020, 11:22 AM
Whatever possibility that might have existed of them parting with Nurkic, is likely gone. He's somehow bounced right back and doesn't seem to have hit his ceiling yet either.

That probably leaves a 1st or maybe Collins, plus Ariza, Hood and if necessary, salary filler.

The Heat would probably do Olynyk and 23.

The Nets, maybe Allen, Prince, Kurucs.

-A '21 first and Ariza and Hood works but they'd have nothing on the wings as we've discussed. I still think that they'd do that and the Spurs would too.

-I've thought about about that trade and I think that might be as likely of a destination for Aldridge, if the Spurs are open to trading him. Riley doesn't seem to care much for 1sts, they aren't necessarily dependent on them because they are so good at finding talent in the G-league.

I think the timing could be tricky, but still possible. The Heat would still have to make the pick due to the Stepien rule but the Spurs and Heat could agree to the Aldridge for Olynyk and a 1st ahead of the draft so that might not be an issue.

-I haven't seen that incarnation before, have to think more about that one.

TD 21
08-02-2020, 03:11 PM
-A '21 first and Ariza and Hood works but they'd have nothing on the wings as we've discussed. I still think that they'd do that and the Spurs would too.

-I've thought about about that trade and I think that might be as likely of a destination for Aldridge, if the Spurs are open to trading him. Riley doesn't seem to care much for 1sts, they aren't necessarily dependent on them because they are so good at finding talent in the G-league.

I think the timing could be tricky, but still possible. The Heat would still have to make the pick due to the Stepien rule but the Spurs and Heat could agree to the Aldridge for Olynyk and a 1st ahead of the draft so that might not be an issue.

-I haven't seen that incarnation before, have to think more about that one.

I suspect the Spurs only do that if it's a means to an end, where it either sets up a 3 team trade or another trade that allows them to acquire a potential core building block or solid young veteran.

In and of itself, I don't think they're interested in a likely early 20s pick (supposedly deep draft or not) as the primary asset for Aldridge or DeRozan.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-03-2020, 11:46 AM
Moving Aldridge would depend on what you could get back. He's still a guy that can go 17-10 on a nightly basis and anchor the middle. Hard to replace that, despite the thinking by some that he's expendable.

BackHome
08-03-2020, 12:26 PM
I agree but I Hope after this season Spurs really open the phone lines and see what they can get for LMA, DeRozan, and Rudy. I think we could get some decent deals for Rudy and DeRozan potential interested teams: Toronto, Miami, New York, and the Nets.

DAF86
08-03-2020, 03:22 PM
The main reasoning behind an Aldridge trade is finally giving Poeltl the starter position for good. If we don't trade LA Poeltl will be likely gone and we can't afford that. He's one of our best players for the foreseeable future.

Trading LA before next season starts is a must.

Rummpd
08-03-2020, 03:34 PM
Trade LA if Poetl continues to play well is a no brainer

cd021
08-03-2020, 07:00 PM
I suspect the Spurs only do that if it's a means to an end, where it either sets up a 3 team trade or another trade that allows them to acquire a potential core building block or solid young veteran.

In and of itself, I don't think they're interested in a likely early 20s pick (supposedly deep draft or not) as the primary asset for Aldridge or DeRozan.

Maybe. I think the Spurs expect to bring this team back next season, maybe minus Forbes and Beli.

Still, if Portland or Miami inquire about Aldridge, and offer similar packages, then I still think its hard for them to say no. Aldridge had held up rather well for a 35 year old but getting a 1st round pick for him, especially with him being a free agent after next season, is better than what the Spurs could otherwise reasonable expect. The Spurs should take such an offer and move forward.

cd021
08-03-2020, 07:05 PM
I agree but I Hope after this season Spurs really open the phone lines and see what they can get for LMA, DeRozan, and Rudy. I think we could get some decent deals for Rudy and DeRozan potential interested teams: Toronto, Miami, New York, and the Nets.

Golden State has been rumored for Gay. Not sure how real that interest is but they'd be able to acquire him in their trade exception.

The main reasoning behind an Aldridge trade is finally giving Poeltl the starter position for good. If we don't trade LA Poeltl will be likely gone and we can't afford that. He's one of our best players for the foreseeable future.

Trading LA before next season starts is a must.

The main reason for trading Aldridge is to get an asset for him before he leaves in FA. Poeltl is an RFA in the worst possible time to be an RFA, while playing the least valued position. They can retain him on a long-term deal and then proceed with both if they wanted too.

I like Poeltl a lot and think that he should start next season but that is dependent on whether the Spurs deal Aldridge.

ace3g
08-03-2020, 07:06 PM
Can we trade LA for TJ Warren?

https://twitter.com/ClutchPointsApp/status/1290438155280297985

r0drig0lac
08-03-2020, 08:22 PM
if Nets GM (Durant / Irving) wants to go all in next season, just offer Aldridge and Demar to the Nets. Irving / Demar / Durant / Aldrige / Deandre would be by far the most talented s5 in the league and, if it didn't work out, they would have enough space to try to recruit Giannis in the summer;

RC_Drunkford
08-03-2020, 08:28 PM
I wouldn't neccessarily move Aldridge. If the return is right of course you do it, but this team still needs a big and he's still the best player on the team plus he's shooting 3s now. I'd rather move DeRozan

Collins21
08-03-2020, 08:45 PM
I wouldn't neccessarily move Aldridge. If the return is right of course you do it, but this team still needs a big and he's still the best player on the team plus he's shooting 3s now. I'd rather move DeRozan

IMO there's a lot of moveable trash on this team aside from Aldridge. I'm not moving him for the trash that Portland has to offer. If you can get something good for him by all means trade him but no trash from Portland.

C-Dub
08-03-2020, 08:56 PM
Trade LMA to the Nets for Taurean Prince and future 1st. LMA has 24k left on his contract compared to 28k left for Prince over a 2 year span. So a little more maneuvering to make the money work out for both teams. LMA will stretch the floor with his 3 ball alongside DeAndre Jordan. When DDR Opts out to sign with a so called legitimate title contender, the Spurs should then sign Ibaka (30yrs old) whom will be a free agent. Resign Jakob and let Forbes walk. Bring back Belinelli on a vets minimum to help Patty with Corporate Knowledge. Promote Drew and Quinn from their 2 way contracts. Use Gay as trade bait at next season's trade deadline depending on where the team stands at that time. Next season potential rotation goes as follows:

1. DJM, White, LW4, Lyles, Poeltl
2. Patty, KJ, Prince, Gay, Ibaka
3. QW, Marco, Luka, Drew, 1st Rd

With this lineup, Ibaka will average more minutes than Lyles and just as much as Poeltl even though he'll be coming off the bench. Seems like a real playoff team to me.

tbdog
08-03-2020, 09:40 PM
Yuk. ^

RC_Drunkford
08-03-2020, 09:53 PM
Trade LMA to the Nets for Taurean Prince and future 1st. LMA has 24k left on his contract compared to 28k left for Prince over a 2 year span. So a little more maneuvering to make the money work out for both teams. LMA will stretch the floor with his 3 ball alongside DeAndre Jordan. When DDR Opts out to sign with a so called legitimate title contender, the Spurs should then sign Ibaka (30yrs old) whom will be a free agent. Resign Jakob and let Forbes walk. Bring back Belinelli on a vets minimum to help Patty with Corporate Knowledge. Promote Drew and Quinn from their 2 way contracts. Use Gay as trade bait at next season's trade deadline depending on where the team stands at that time. Next season potential rotation goes as follows:

1. DJM, White, LW4, Lyles, Poeltl
2. Patty, KJ, Prince, Gay, Ibaka
3. QW, Marco, Luka, Drew, 1st Rd

With this lineup, Ibaka will average more minutes than Lyles and just as much as Poeltl even though he'll be coming off the bench. Seems like a real playoff team to me.

This team won't win shit with Lyles and Poeltl starting. Both are garbage, back ups at best

TD 21
08-03-2020, 10:14 PM
Maybe. I think the Spurs expect to bring this team back next season, maybe minus Forbes and Beli.

Still, if Portland or Miami inquire about Aldridge, and offer similar packages, then I still think its hard for them to say no. Aldridge had held up rather well for a 35 year old but getting a 1st round pick for him, especially with him being a free agent after next season, is better than what the Spurs could otherwise reasonable expect. The Spurs should take such an offer and move forward.

I don't know about expect, but I do think they'll take the same approach they did with the Scumbag trade, which is choose the direction of best perceived value.

If they can get what they're seeking for Aldridge and DeRozan, they pull the trigger. If not, probably not (which is stupid).

23 isn't great in and of itself, but add it to Murray and 11 and maybe it gets them 5 and Brown, for example. Plus, Olynyk is a useful stopgap.

cd021
08-06-2020, 03:18 AM
I don't know about expect, but I do think they'll take the same approach they did with the Scumbag trade, which is choose the direction of best perceived value.

If they can get what they're seeking for Aldridge and DeRozan, they pull the trigger. If not, probably not (which is stupid).

23 isn't great in and of itself, but add it to Murray and 11 and maybe it gets them 5 and Brown, for example. Plus, Olynyk is a useful stopgap.
The way White's playing, White plus 11 alone should get them a top 5 pick, in theory. Especially because he's still under rookie scale for next season and he then enters RFA.

I still think Murray holds value around the league but, admittedly, that $64 million dollar deal is looking like an overpay at the moment. He's younger and has higher upside but he's also already gotten paid so that's probably a negative in a deal. Spurs are unlikely to trade either but I still think White is the best trade chip of the two, even before White's play in the bubble and certainly now.

There could be a three team trade with Miami, Detroit, and San Antonio and could look like:

Detroit Gets: Derrick White, Chris Silva, and the 11th pick

San Antonio Gets: The 5th Pick, Kelly Oylnyk and the 23rd pick

Miami Gets: LaMarcus Aldridge and Thomas/ Brown Jr.

Spurs would end up with the 5th pick, 23rd pick and Olynyk for Aldridge, White, and 11. That's not bad return.

TD 21
08-06-2020, 05:41 PM
The way White's playing, White plus 11 alone should get them a top 5 pick, in theory. Especially because he's still under rookie scale for next season and he then enters RFA.

I still think Murray holds value around the league but, admittedly, that $64 million dollar deal is looking like an overpay at the moment. He's younger and has higher upside but he's also already gotten paid so that's probably a negative in a deal. Spurs are unlikely to trade either but I still think White is the best trade chip of the two, even before White's play in the bubble and certainly now.

There could be a three team trade with Miami, Detroit, and San Antonio and could look like:

Spurs would end up with the 5th pick, 23rd pick and Olynyk for Aldridge, White, and 11. That's not bad return.

Yeah and even if it isn't, the Spurs would have no business giving up a third asset.

I don't think he really does. Most teams are set at "PG" and even those that think they can turn him into a 3 and D type, are they giving up value and paying him $4/64 million for the chance to find out?

White is definitely a better trade asset. Not only flat out better, but malleable.

Not bad at all. Think it'd have to definitively be Thomas instead of Brown Jr., but I'd consider pursuing 5 even if Avdija is gone. Hayes/Haliburton are interesting.

DAF86
08-06-2020, 05:47 PM
Who are we kidding sons? We all know we are standing pat. The bright spot is that I want to believe Pop saw the light and he will no longer play Forbes and Beli over guys like Walker and Johnson.

A rotation of:

PG-White
SG-Johnson
SF-DeRozan
PF-MLE (Crowder?) or draft pick.
C-Aldridge

Bench: Murray, Mills, Walker, Gay, Poeltl

Should be good enough to make the playoffs without much sweat I believe.

spurspl
08-06-2020, 05:57 PM
Who are we kidding sons? We all know we are standing pat. The bright spot is that I want to believe Pop saw the light and he will no longer play Forbes and Beli over guys like Walker and Johnson.

A rotation of:

PG-White
SG-Johnson
SF-DeRozan
PF-MLE (Crowder?) or draft pick.
C-Aldridge

Bench: Murray, Mills, Walker, Gay, Poeltl

Should be good enough to make the playoffs without much sweat I believe.

1rnd exit

ddr should be out, add joe harris via FA and maybe we can get higher in PO. But it also depends who we gonna draft.

DAF86
08-06-2020, 06:05 PM
1rnd exit.

Most likely. Although I could see a second round with a few things going our way.

cd021
08-08-2020, 07:51 PM
Yeah and even if it isn't, the Spurs would have no business giving up a third asset.

I don't think he really does. Most teams are set at "PG" and even those that think they can turn him into a 3 and D type, are they giving up value and paying him $4/64 million for the chance to find out?

White is definitely a better trade asset. Not only flat out better, but malleable.

Not bad at all. Think it'd have to definitively be Thomas instead of Brown Jr., but I'd consider pursuing 5 even if Avdija is gone. Hayes/Haliburton are interesting.

-I think it's going to take another season of meh play for team's to realize that Murray isn't worth that contract. Even still, Murray playing extended minutes could put up some eye-popping numbers across the board. Team's may no may not be smarter than not to fall for that.

-Yeah, White's cheap deal plus the ability to negotiate his next deal definitely makes him a better asset, not to mention that he's been playing great in the bubble.

-That trade, while definitely possible, would be very bold, likely bolder than something they would actually do. They could definitely still do the Aldridge to Miami trade though. I think the way White's playing would make it harder for PATFO to move him unless they think that top 5 pick nets them a future star.

I think Avdija is the most likely to fit that bill and be on the board. I do like Hayes's game; he looks like a very good play-maker, defender and has improved as a shooter, but if White's this type of player going forward I don't know about trading White to draft Hayes.

TD 21
08-09-2020, 10:58 AM
-I think it's going to take another season of meh play for team's to realize that Murray isn't worth that contract. Even still, Murray playing extended minutes could put up some eye-popping numbers across the board. Team's may no may not be smarter than not to fall for that.

-Yeah, White's cheap deal plus the ability to negotiate his next deal definitely makes him a better asset, not to mention that he's been playing great in the bubble.

-That trade, while definitely possible, would be very bold, likely bolder than something they would actually do. They could definitely still do the Aldridge to Miami trade though. I think the way White's playing would make it harder for PATFO to move him unless they think that top 5 pick nets them a future star.

I think Avdija is the most likely to fit that bill and be on the board. I do like Hayes's game; he looks like a very good play-maker, defender and has improved as a shooter, but if White's this type of player going forward I don't know about trading White to draft Hayes.

Maybe, but his contract will only get more difficult to move in this scenario. They need to try to get out in front of it and kill 2 birds with one stone (rid themselves of him and get another play maker who's at least a willing volume 3-point shooter) with the type of trade I proposed.

Counting stats don't matter, fit and role do. A perimeter player who can't create or shoot and is low IQ is useless offensively.

I meant they'd trade Murray in that proposal. White, I can't see it at this point. Even if they see star potential Avdija or Hayes (Halburton's ceiling is probably elite role player), they'd also have to still believe in Murray being something of consequence and that's a combination that's difficult to believe.

Bill Walton Saga
08-11-2020, 09:01 PM
We don't want Aldridge back so put a stop to this nonsense now, please.

Bill Walton Saga
08-11-2020, 09:04 PM

he just dropped 61 points tonight. He's got some time left...lol

BackHome
08-11-2020, 10:55 PM

I think Rudy has upped his trade value Spurs should definitely take and make calls for him I am looking at Boston’s 25th pick, or Philly”s 22nd pick, or maybe Nets 19th pick.

cd021
08-12-2020, 05:05 AM
Maybe, but his contract will only get more difficult to move in this scenario. They need to try to get out in front of it and kill 2 birds with one stone (rid themselves of him and get another play maker who's at least a willing volume 3-point shooter) with the type of trade I proposed.

Counting stats don't matter, fit and role do. A perimeter player who can't create or shoot and is low IQ is useless offensively.

I meant they'd trade Murray in that proposal. White, I can't see it at this point. Even if they see star potential Avdija or Hayes (Halburton's ceiling is probably elite role player), they'd also have to still believe in Murray being something of consequence and that's a combination that's difficult to believe.

So something like:

Detroit Gets: 11th Pick, 23rd pick, Murray, Silva

Miami Gets: Aldridge, Thomas

San Antonio Gets: Olynyk & the 5th pick

I have mixed feelings about that type of trade. Spurs would essentially be trading Murray, Aldridge, and 11 for the 5th pick. Do I think Murray is great? No, but I don't like the idea of essentially rerouting an asset (the 23rd pick) as sweetener for Detroit to take him on.

I think he'd net a late first rather than requiring a late first for another team to take him on. Teams are probably chalking up his play to missing his entire 3rd season and then the four month stoppage in play this season. If Murray continues to play like he's played, then after next season that could very well mean that teams start viewing him as a negative asset however.

Obviously their are upsides too, like that is that the Spurs get off of Murray and his probable bad deal before it even starts. They'd also keep White, who has an outside shot at becoming a star, and possibly Avdija, also possibly a future star.

Not to mention moving Aldridge allows for them to continue with the Poeltl/ Eubanks center core. They've played well and could probably be re-signed and back next season, for a salaries less than half of what LMA will make.

I think it's almost as unlikely, however, that PATFO would trade Murray as they would White-which doesn't make a lot of sense but that's how they tend to operate.

TD 21
08-12-2020, 03:38 PM
So something like:

Detroit Gets: 11th Pick, 23rd pick, Murray, Silva

Miami Gets: Aldridge, Thomas

San Antonio Gets: Olynyk & the 5th pick

I have mixed feelings about that type of trade. Spurs would essentially be trading Murray, Aldridge, and 11 for the 5th pick. Do I think Murray is great? No, but I don't like the idea of essentially rerouting an asset (the 23rd pick) as sweetener for Detroit to take him on.

I think he'd net a late first rather than requiring a late first for another team to take him on. Teams are probably chalking up his play to missing his entire 3rd season and then the four month stoppage in play this season. If Murray continues to play like he's played, then after next season that could very well mean that teams start viewing him as a negative asset however.

Obviously their are upsides too, like that is that the Spurs get off of Murray and his probable bad deal before it even starts. They'd also keep White, who has an outside shot at becoming a star, and possibly Avdija, also possibly a future star.

Not to mention moving Aldridge allows for them to continue with the Poeltl/ Eubanks center core. They've played well and could probably be re-signed and back next season, for a salaries less than half of what LMA will make.

I think it's almost as unlikely, however, that PATFO would trade Murray as they would White-which doesn't make a lot of sense but that's how they tend to operate.

I view it like this . . .

- Aldridge is clearly walking in a year, if not traded before then. As we've discussed, he's probably worth one decent asset.

- With Murray, adding 23 isn't to find a taker for him, it's to get to 5 (plus they'd get Brown, a same aged, similar replacement), because I don't think Murray and 11 does it.

- Avdija, Hayes or Haliburton, would theoretically add the much needed play making and in the case of the first two, seeming puncher's chance at a star upside.

- Olynyk would pave the way for Poeltl to start, while replacing Aldridge as a stretch five.

cd021
08-16-2020, 08:35 AM
I view it like this . . .

- Aldridge is clearly walking in a year, if not traded before then. As we've discussed, he's probably worth one decent asset.

- With Murray, adding 23 isn't to find a taker for him, it's to get to 5 (plus they'd get Brown, a same aged, similar replacement), because I don't think Murray and 11 does it.

- Avdija, Hayes or Haliburton, would theoretically add the much needed play making and in the case of the first two, seeming puncher's chance at a star upside.

- Olynyk would pave the way for Poeltl to start, while replacing Aldridge as a stretch five.

In that case, I think trading Murray would be better than trading White. Though I don't think they'd even actually consider doing so until after next season.

BackHome
08-16-2020, 10:37 PM

Pretty nice trade I would definitely do it.

mo7888
08-17-2020, 11:56 AM
In that case, I think trading Murray would be better than trading White. Though I don't think they'd even actually consider doing so until after next season.

I agree with trading Murray over White but, I just don't see Detroit giving up their top pick. I think we'd be looking at a straight trade with Miami and either trading Murray in a separate deal somewhere or trying to include him to Miami in a larger deal that brought back Herro (doubt they would include herro though).

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-17-2020, 12:21 PM
I still like LMA, and now that he's stretching the floor with the 3 ball, he's a far better option than anything else we can put out there at center. Let LMA and DDR run with all the youth, get rid of Forbes, give Mills back his towel waving duties, get a decent SF/PF, and the Spurs will be fine.