PDA

View Full Version : 8:46 Dave Chappelle

Trill Clinton
06-12-2020, 09:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tR6mKcBbT4

This man is a genius. Brilliant.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/36dcd7af6b2a8985db26fde3d3d3a274/tenor.gif?itemid=10765739

Spurtacular
06-12-2020, 10:25 AM
Chumpettes still not bending the knee.

leemajors
06-12-2020, 11:06 AM
:tu

SpursforSix
06-12-2020, 11:25 AM
Whatever. I like Dave Chappelle. One of the funniest guys around. But let's not pretend his CC show didn't heavily rely on skits using stereotypes. It's hard for me to trust celebrities any more than politicians. They have millions of dollars at stake depending on which side of the road they choose at any particular time. Fallon, who's never come across as racist recently had to apologize for doing a Chris Rock impersonation in blackface. But imo, the skit wasn't racist. He was just trying to do Chris Rock. And it was spot on. I doubt Chris Rock was insulted by it.

Point being that it's hard for me to take what any celebrity says and assume they're being 100% honest and not thinking about their career.

Not to mention that Chappelle gets some shit wrong. In particular, there weren't 400 cops going after Dorner because he was black. It's because he was standing up to the system. Some of the biggest manhunts in history were after white people. And when "they" think someone needs to be eliminated, "they" go after them in full force. No different that David Koresh or the dude up in the mountains. Making that a white vs. black thing is just a distraction.

And while I agree that racism exists, it's not the real problem.

This whole thing isn't black vs white. It's really about not wanting people to focus on the real issue. Which is the .1% pretty much controlling everything. Where's the outrage on billion dollar corporations poisoning people throughout history? BigAg, BigPharm? With the government being complicit in the whole thing.

"They" are more than happy to have the rest of us spend months focusing on a career criminal getting murdered by a piece of shit cop. Or some crazy ass president tweeting about dumbass shit.

Anyway...fwiw, I saw a pretty good scifi movie called "The Vast of Night". Low budget but incredibly well done. 7/10

Trill Clinton
06-12-2020, 11:46 AM
Whatever. I like Dave Chappelle. One of the funniest guys around. But let's not pretend his CC show didn't heavily rely on skits using stereotypes. It's hard for me to trust celebrities any more than politicians. They have millions of dollars at stake depending on which side of the road they choose at any particular time. Fallon, who's never come across as racist recently had to apologize for doing a Chris Rock impersonation in blackface. But imo, the skit wasn't racist. He was just trying to do Chris Rock. And it was spot on. I doubt Chris Rock was insulted by it.

Point being that it's hard for me to take what any celebrity says and assume they're being 100% honest and not thinking about their career.

Not to mention that Chappelle gets some shit wrong. In particular, there weren't 400 cops going after Dorner because he was black. It's because he was standing up to the system. Some of the biggest manhunts in history were after white people. And when "they" think someone needs to be eliminated, "they" go after them in full force. No different that David Koresh or the dude up in the mountains. Making that a white vs. black thing is just a distraction.

This whole thing isn't black vs white. It's really about not wanting people to focus on the real issue. Which is the .1% pretty much controlling everything. Where's the outrage on billion dollar corporations poisoning people throughout history? BigAg, BigPharm? With the government being complicit in the whole thing.

"They" are more than happy to have the rest of us spend months focusing on a career criminal getting murdered by a piece of shit cop. Or some crazy ass president tweeting about dumbass shit.

Anyway...fwiw, I saw a pretty good scifi movie called "The Vast of Night". Low budget but incredibly well done. 7/10

I don't think he said 400 cops were after Garner just because he was black. It was because he killed cops. He was drawing parallels to how cops respond when one of theirs is killed vs society when we are killed unjustly by a cop.

SpursforSix
06-12-2020, 12:04 PM
I don't think he said 400 cops were after Garner just because he was black. It was because he killed cops. He was drawing parallels to how cops respond when one of theirs is killed vs society when we are killed unjustly by a cop.

You're 100% right. I went back and re-listened. My bad. But in my above examples, I don't think either killed a cop before the show of force. Point being that when they fully decide to after someone, they don't fuck around. Even if there was a stealthier solution.

One thing that's still fucked up in these situations is how may cops show up. I get having a tactical team and helicopters and shit. But what fucking good is it doing to have street cops with pistols hiding behind the open doors of a patrol vehicle. And it drops all the way down. Passing a guy doing a road DUI test and there's four cop cars lined up. Honestly, if I was going to rob a bank, I'd have several abettors drive around the area swerving and trying to get pulled over.

spurraider21
06-12-2020, 01:17 PM

i dont get what that has to do with chapelle's bit. he specifically said it shouldnt matter what celebrities say.

and comedy standards always change with time. Blazing Saddles would not have been a thing in the 2000's. movies like american pie or even superbad would not be as well received today. that doesn't mean they were bad people for doing it then, but they also recognize that standards change. robert downey jr laughed and said there's no way he could do his tropic thunder thing today, he wont even repeat lines from the movie like "full retard"

i dont see an issue with fallon because comedic standards were different. he recognizes that in today's world, that stuff doesnt fly, and the fact that the footage still exists means people might come across it. if he wants to get ahead of it and apologize, good for him.

trill addressed this below pretty succinctly

everybody has to deal with the 0.1% fucking them. everybody pretends to actually care about it, but few actually vote for people who are actively trying to make a difference there

but while everybody has to deal with the oligarchs fucking the rest of us over, black people (and other minorities, to varying degrees) deal with the additional hurdle of racism that quite frankly you or i dont have to consider in our day to day lives

SpursforSix
06-12-2020, 01:58 PM
i dont get what that has to do with chapelle's bit. he specifically said it shouldnt matter what celebrities say.

and comedy standards always change with time. Blazing Saddles would not have been a thing in the 2000's. movies like american pie or even superbad would not be as well received today. that doesn't mean they were bad people for doing it then, but they also recognize that standards change. robert downey jr laughed and said there's no way he could do his tropic thunder thing today, he wont even repeat lines from the movie like "full retard"

i dont see an issue with fallon because comedic standards were different. he recognizes that in today's world, that stuff doesnt fly, and the fact that the footage still exists means people might come across it. if he wants to get ahead of it and apologize, good for him.

trill addressed this below pretty succinctly

everybody has to deal with the 0.1% fucking them. everybody pretends to actually care about it, but few actually vote for people who are actively trying to make a difference there

but while everybody has to deal with the oligarchs fucking the rest of us over, black people (and other minorities, to varying degrees) deal with the additional hurdle of racism that quite frankly you or i dont have to consider in our day to day lives

I agree about your take on comedy mostly. But I still believe that they (or most entertainers) change their shtick based on what they think will keep them relevant for the longest period of time. And I don't fault them for that. But doing this particular performance right now is a pretty safe move for Chappelle. That being said, he seems like he's always been pretty genuine. I don't know.

As to the .1% fucking everyone, I genuinely do care. But I don't think the majority of people really grasp the magnitude of widespread it is. And it's distorted by broadening it to the 1%.

spurraider21
06-12-2020, 02:41 PM
I agree about your take on comedy mostly. But I still believe that they (or most entertainers) change their shtick based on what they think will keep them relevant for the longest period of time. And I don't fault them for that. But doing this particular performance right now is a pretty safe move for Chappelle. That being said, he seems like he's always been pretty genuine. I don't know.
i dont see any issue with any of this though. would you prefer comedians keep doing things that are in poor taste just because people used to like it? im trying to understand the criticism.

SpursforSix
06-12-2020, 02:55 PM
i dont see any issue with any of this though. would you prefer comedians keep doing things that are in poor taste just because people used to like it? im trying to understand the criticism.

I don't know that what Fallon did was in poor taste even by today's standards. He was just trying to portray Chris Rock who happens to be black. So I don't think him appearing in black face was any kind of throwback to the minstrel shows. Just like I don't think White Chicks or Chappelle doing white face is offensive. Or Jimmy Yang in Silicon Valley. Every race has it's own idiosyncrasies and I don't know that it's racist to lampoon them for comedies sake. Maybe I'm wrong and that in the long term, all of that is hurtful. But I don't know where the final line is drawn. Will we not be able to poke fun at anyone at all? No old people jokes, no portrayals of flaming gay people, no jokes about dumb jocks, etc.
Maybe I got off track there. I just think we've gotten to the point of not using much reasoning when we judge things to be offensive or not.

spurraider21
06-12-2020, 03:02 PM
I don't know that what Fallon did was in poor taste even by today's standards. He was just trying to portray Chris Rock who happens to be black. So I don't think him appearing in black face was any kind of throwback to the minstrel shows. Just like I don't think White Chicks or Chappelle doing white face is offensive. Or Jimmy Yang in Silicon Valley. Every race has it's own idiosyncrasies and I don't know that it's racist to lampoon them for comedies sake. Maybe I'm wrong and that in the long term, all of that is hurtful. But I don't know where the final line is drawn. Will we not be able to poke fun at anyone at all? No old people jokes, no portrayals of flaming gay people, no jokes about dumb jocks, etc.
Maybe I got off track there. I just think we've gotten to the point of not using much reasoning when we judge things to be offensive or not.
honestly, i dont either, and i think that good faith comedy shouldn't really have boundaries (not people doing blatantly racist shit under the guise of comedy).

but that doesnt mean that society's standards dont change. and maybe we've clutched our (collective) pearls a little too tightly, i wouldnt even disagree with that idea. but im not going to think of comedians less if they recognize that and adjust.

spurraider21
06-12-2020, 03:07 PM
best part was him going IN on candace owens

:lmao

SpursforSix
06-12-2020, 03:19 PM
honestly, i dont either, and i think that good faith comedy shouldn't really have boundaries (not people doing blatantly racist shit under the guise of comedy).

but that doesnt mean that society's standards dont change. and maybe we've clutched our (collective) pearls a little too tightly, i wouldnt even disagree with that idea. but im not going to think of comedians less if they recognize that and adjust.

Fair enough. And I don't fault a comedian for apologizing for what they did or changing what they do. I'm just cynical in that I'm not sure their motives aren't more self serving than altruistic. And don't think they should be given extra credit for taking a stand when it's convenient.

SpursforSix
06-12-2020, 03:19 PM
i think that good faith comedy shouldn't really have boundaries (not people doing blatantly racist shit under the guise of comedy).

and this 100%

spurraider21
06-12-2020, 03:21 PM
and this 100%
but then again standup comedy is somewhat distinct from film and tv

SpursforSix
06-12-2020, 03:27 PM
but then again standup comedy is somewhat distinct from film and tv

I"m not following you on the point here.

FrostKing
06-12-2020, 03:35 PM
Whites have certain privileges and so do blacks.

spurraider21
06-12-2020, 03:50 PM
and all those privileges are equal and cancel out and everything fine then

FrostKing
06-12-2020, 03:59 PM
and all those privileges are equal and cancel out and everything fine then
I imagine Hispanics, Asians, Indians are sick of both

Spurtacular
06-12-2020, 06:40 PM

Reck
06-12-2020, 07:15 PM
I didn't think this was too great. Had it's moments, definitely different approach.

I thoroughly enjoyed the decimation of that bitch Candace Owens though. Brilliant Chappelle takedown as usual.

TDMVPDPOY
06-12-2020, 09:06 PM
I imagine Hispanics, Asians, Indians are sick of both

thats why u dont see them out protesting or causing shit

to busy working hard to live that american dream then continue to complain about the system

DAF86
06-12-2020, 09:40 PM
I haven't seen shit yet. But by the looks of it, hypocritical conservatives that sucked Dave's balls when he went after SJW culture on his last special, are now butthurt. You can't have it both ways sons. Either he speaks his truth or he's a brainwashed liberal sheep. Pick one sons. :lol

RandomGuy
06-12-2020, 09:47 PM

Eat a dick. you coward.

Spurtacular
06-12-2020, 10:07 PM
Eat a dick. you coward.

:lol Lashing out in lieu of bending the knee.

Reck
06-12-2020, 10:14 PM
bending the knee.

Is that your new shtick? Not working imo

Spurtacular
06-12-2020, 11:16 PM
Is that your new shtick? Not working imo

It's not my schtick. It's what your side is pressing hardcore.

Are you too racist to bend the knee?

Reck
06-13-2020, 01:25 AM
It's not my schtick. It's what your side is pressing hardcore.

Are you too racist to bend the knee?

I support their cause. Why am I or anyone for that matter required to “bend the knee?”

DAF86
06-13-2020, 01:58 AM
So, just watched it. Interesting and I support the cause, but I really hope people that showed up didn't have to pay, tbh. Folks went waiting for some jokes and they got 30 minutes of venting. :lol

Spurtacular
06-13-2020, 01:59 AM
I support their cause. Why am I or anyone for that matter required to “bend the knee?”

In your case to acknowledge your white privilege among other things.

leemajors
06-13-2020, 12:19 PM
So, just watched it. Interesting and I support the cause, but I really hope people that showed up didn't have to pay, tbh. Folks went waiting for some jokes and they got 30 minutes of venting. :lol

There were 4 hours of comedy, I'd imagine they had a great time.

David Hogg
06-13-2020, 02:42 PM
DarrinS (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=2042) is such a big fan of Dave Chappelle, I’m sure he loved this.

RandomGuy
06-15-2020, 10:06 AM

https://media1.tenor.com/images/36dcd7af6b2a8985db26fde3d3d3a274/tenor.gif?itemid=10765739

Saw it. It was good.

SpursforSix
06-16-2020, 12:52 PM
And btw...calling him a "genius" is a stretch. He's funny to a lot of people but if that doesn't make him a genius.

LkrFan
06-16-2020, 03:35 PM

That MFer is the GOAT. If you got time, here's a good interpretation:
y85u-BVHJIE

Nobody is better than Chappelle. Much respect.

LkrFan
06-16-2020, 03:37 PM

Spot on. That went over his head.

LkrFan
06-16-2020, 03:39 PM
best part was him going IN on candace owens

:lmao

:lol

The worst thing you can do to a Black woman is to talk about her hygiene. She deserved it though :lol

LkrFan
06-16-2020, 03:40 PM

leemajors
06-16-2020, 06:05 PM
And btw...calling him a "genius" is a stretch. He's funny to a lot of people but if that doesn't make him a genius.

I think he did enough with his first few specials and Chappelle Show to qualify him as such, he certainly has the utmost respect of his peers.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-16-2020, 09:12 PM
pretty, pretty good

paperboy77
06-16-2020, 10:12 PM
I've just soled all your "social" problems but I don't think anyone will listen.

Right, wrong or indifferent all races just need to do what they can to make their immediate family succeed (or whatever matters to you). Even if you have to go rogue and go solo. I still haven't heard anyone say they went to college (which can be overrated!), get a USEFUL degree and fail to succeed!

No education working at Walgreens: 30 hours X $10 = $300 x 0.90 (taxes) = $270 take-home pay. This supports SHIT of a lifestyle.... and that's when you're single! LOL.... $14,040 per year.. What a joke.

No education working in the "dumb" construction industry which is ALL about hustle: 50 hours X $14 = $770 x 0.90 (taxes) = $693 take-home pay. You can work with this.... barely. $36,036. This is all starter.... first job.... 18 year old shit... but you will learn SOMETHING. My path went thru construction. Hard work that weeds out the men from the boys. The ones that top off at $18 to $22 per hour and the ones that figure it out and make shit happen make $100K easily. Nothing but hustle and determination. There's so much turnover because many people quit. You have to stick and give it some time.

Go to college and get a legit degree.... from what I've seen in my industry: A 22 year old person that doesn't "really" know shit can START at $70,000 to $90,000! All you have to do is grind it out and get that damn (useful) degree. After that you're making $150,000 ($97,000 after taxes and some BS) or more depending on your role.

NO EXCUSE!!! Only people holding you back is YOU and your "friends" that are full of excuses. Don't listen to the news... Republican or Democratic sites. Just do you. Hustle and understand that every now and then you are born 6' 8" with extraordinary skills the pro's look for. Other than that your are like the rest of the 99.9% on earth. You have to work for it. I will go out and say... outright or secretly say "fuck everyone else!" they don't care for your success.

Moral of the story is: The only thing holding you back is you. Just remember LeBron James coulda been just another 6' 9"... uncoordinated guy struggling to make it.... just like you! Please people don't get caught up in these riots or "rage" and focus on how to put your best step forward.

Make Yourself Great Again! MYGA!

paperboy77
06-16-2020, 10:18 PM

The worst thing you can do to a Black woman is to talk about her hygiene. She deserved it though :lol

Not sure what are your indicators but that girl seems pretty clean. (Indirect data of course.)

Also, that chic drops some serious FACTS most pea-brains don't get. Dumb, idiot, fill-in-the-blank-diss, or whatever.... if you follow her ways you'll be ok in life. Go against it and you'll be a wellfare-dependent mofo for generation to come!

paperboy77
06-16-2020, 10:24 PM
I think he did enough with his first few specials and Chappelle Show to qualify him as such, he certainly has the utmost respect of his peers.

Chappelle certainly entertains me but he's no genius of anything that really matters. Comedy is great and that's probably... maybe 30 minutes a month for me. I deal with actually-everyday-stuff. All this craziness reminds me of a perfect 10 getting all these tattoos. Gonna look terrible when they're skin wrinkles.

SnakeBoy
06-17-2020, 12:33 AM
It was very good, well executed. I'm sure I've seen him do the my lighter won't light routine before though.

LkrFan
06-17-2020, 06:38 AM
Not sure what are your indicators but that girl seems pretty clean. (Indirect data of course.)

Also, that chic drops some serious FACTS most pea-brains don't get. Dumb, idiot, fill-in-the-blank-diss, or whatever.... if you follow her ways you'll be ok in life. Go against it and you'll be a wellfare-dependent mofo for generation to come!

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-17-2020, 09:14 AM
there’s money out there for people willing to dump on their own minority demographic

SpursforSix
06-17-2020, 09:28 AM

Idk...maybe it depends on how loose one uses the word "genius". I think he's one of the funniest comedians out there but there's plenty others. I don't think of them as geniuses.
It's just a matter of preference. Accepting him as genius would make it hard to counter someone calling Taylor Swift a genius. Or Garth Brooks.

leemajors
06-17-2020, 10:05 AM
Chappelle certainly entertains me but he's no genius of anything that really matters. Comedy is great and that's probably... maybe 30 minutes a month for me. I deal with actually-everyday-stuff. All this craziness reminds me of a perfect 10 getting all these tattoos. Gonna look terrible when they're skin wrinkles.

I hope this made sense in your head.

Chucho
06-17-2020, 10:05 AM
Killing them Softly is a top 10 Greatest Special of All Time.

Chapelle Show Season 1 was genius. Season 2 was fantastic. I can see why he quit afterwards, the quality of the "lost episodes" was dumpster juice.

Didn't really care for his most recent specials. He just hasn't been as funny since his return.

leemajors
06-17-2020, 10:06 AM
Idk...maybe it depends on how loose one uses the word "genius". I think he's one of the funniest comedians out there but there's plenty others. I don't think of them as geniuses.
It's just a matter of preference. Accepting him as genius would make it hard to counter someone calling Taylor Swift a genius. Or Garth Brooks.

They have giant marketing machines behind them. Chappelle was on Def Comedy Jam at 19, that's pretty impressive.

Chucho
06-17-2020, 10:07 AM

Not so much a genius, but definitely the best minority comics who stick to the racism angle.

So far as the comedic geniuses of our time, no he is not in the same company as a Will Ferrell (box office alone) or Norm McDonald.

Chucho
06-17-2020, 10:09 AM
They have giant marketing machines behind them.

Are you saying Chapelle has no marketing/PR behind him??

leemajors
06-17-2020, 10:10 AM
Are you saying Chapelle has no marketing/PR behind him??

I am saying the music business works a lot differently than comedy.

leemajors
06-17-2020, 10:10 AM
Not so much a genius, but definitely the best minority comics who stick to the racism angle.

So far as the comedic geniuses of our time, no he is not in the same company as a Will Ferrell (box office alone) or Norm McDonald.

Saget and Norm have been talking about doing a follow up to Dirty Work.

Chucho
06-17-2020, 10:15 AM
Saget and Norm have been talking about doing a follow up to Dirty Work.

They should just release a film version of the Norm podcast, tbh. Shit's better than most comedies that come out.

Chucho
06-17-2020, 10:19 AM
I am saying the music business works a lot differently than comedy.

But it's the same difference compared to what SFS was saying.

Chapelle does get the benefit of being known and having more marketing behind him than any other counterpart that isn't Amy Schumer in 2016. He does have a pop-culture audience that would call him a genius the same way pop-cultists would call Swift a genius.

Darth_Pelican
06-17-2020, 10:23 AM
hLOw_SzkRQ8

leemajors
06-17-2020, 10:31 AM
But it's the same difference compared to what SFS was saying.

Chapelle does get the benefit of being known and having more marketing behind him than any other counterpart that isn't Amy Schumer in 2016. He does have a pop-culture audience that would call him a genius the same way pop-cultists would call Swift a genius.

Gotcha, but I would say Chappelle isn't a self promoter in the slightest, as those two are but the result is the same. If you haven't seen Garth's fumbling social media attempts I would recommend it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyGG0VMldg0

Chucho
06-17-2020, 10:43 AM
Gotcha, but I would say Chappelle isn't a self promoter in the slightest, as those two are but the result is the same. If you haven't seen Garth's fumbling social media attempts I would recommend it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyGG0VMldg0

Man, honestly, I haven't heard about Garth Brooks in a lonnngggg time till I saw this thread. I'll have to watch this vid in a few moments.

Does anyone remember when he hosted SNL back in the late 90s and the specific sketch was a game show sketch called "Old French Whore"? I've searched high and low for that specific sketch and can't find it.

Chucho
06-17-2020, 10:47 AM
...and I found a good portion of it on my first Google search since the last time I looked for it. Found it on a "That week in SNL Twitter from this past Feb.

Sweet.

paperboy77
06-17-2020, 08:14 PM
I hope this made sense in your head.

You are stuck in a rut and can't (won't) figure out why.. probably.