PDA

View Full Version : Lonnie Walker IV has cut his hair, and shares an emotional post on his motivation for doing it...

Dex
06-12-2020, 10:43 AM
This is already in the LW4 appreciation thread, but thought it deserved its own thread.

Incredibly courageous sentiments from the Spurs budding young star. Really hope this kid can blossom and be a Spur for a long, long time.

Link (https://www.instagram.com/p/CBULIhVBSon/) from Lonnie's Instagram:

The real truth as to why i started doing this early 5th grade, it was a cloaking device for me. During the summer of my 5th grade year I was around more family. Some that names will be left alone I was around more. I was sexually harassed, raped, abused, I even got accustomed to it because being at that age you don’t know what is what. I was a gullible curious kid that didn’t know what the real world was. I had a mindset that my hair was something that I can control. My hair was what I can make and create and be mine. And it gave my confidence. As of recently I wasn’t at my best. Previous History popping up in my head and it sucked mentally “demons”..... because of this virus, I began to truly look at myself in the mirror and see who I truly was even behind closed doors. Long story short I have found peace and internal happiness through this journey god willingly. I forgave everyone even the people that don’t deserve it why? Because it’s dead weight. Time doesn’t wait on anyone so why should I waste my time on it ? Me cutting my hair was more than a cut. My hair was a mask of me hiding the insecurity’s that I felt the world wasn’t ready for. But now better then ever. Out with old. In with the new. I have shed my skin mentally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually. Life will always be hard. Gotta play with the cards your dealt with and try and make a winning hand. And if you lose. It’s never a lost. It’s a lesson 🙏🏾. I’m gonna be off this for awhile still growing through this. Just know I love each and everyone one of y’all. Peace love and happiness 💕🙏🏾

The new doo:

https://i.redd.it/we4txymhw6451.jpg

Chinook
06-12-2020, 11:06 AM
Kinda favors Danny Green now.

hater
06-12-2020, 11:28 AM
Thats some deep shit

And to think maybe woulda never happened if not for covid

TDomination
06-12-2020, 12:21 PM
It makes you think about how you truly don’t know what a person has gone through. I’m glad to hear that he’s been able to overcome it mentally that he could cut out what symbolizes that pain for him.

im truly happy to have him on our team!

Dverde
06-12-2020, 12:37 PM
Hair down, man down

Gibbz
06-12-2020, 12:40 PM
Love our young baller. Real show of strength!

R. DeMurre
06-12-2020, 12:41 PM
Takes a lot of guts to post something like that. I wish this kid nothing but the best in the future, and am betting he channels this to do amazing things.

Chucho
06-12-2020, 01:27 PM
Good man with real conviction.

I want you to succeed, Lonnie. Please, please prove me wrong in what I've said about you.

Trill Clinton
06-12-2020, 01:35 PM
My fav player on the team tbh

spurs10
06-12-2020, 02:05 PM
It did indeed take a lot of courage for him to come forward with this. It shows a lot of character him letting others that have suffered sexual abuse know that 'they're not alone.' Ain't that a man! Go LWIV!!

weeks
06-12-2020, 02:15 PM
Love this kid.

ginobilized
06-12-2020, 04:35 PM
Damn, that’s a heavy truth bomb. Takes some guts to go through that and share it as an adult.
He’s obviously a special person, I hope his game can continue to grow.
Not enough men come forward with this kind of stuff.

slick'81
06-12-2020, 06:34 PM
Much love lonnie

ZeusWillJudge
06-12-2020, 10:19 PM
There's nothing lower than someone who would do something to a kid. It took a lot of courage to talk about it. Wonder if Tony was helping him work through some of that shit?

Come back and kick ass, Lonnie.

Spurtacular
06-13-2020, 12:54 AM
Casually announcing he was raped. Right....

Play Boban
06-13-2020, 01:14 AM
This is great news tbh. All that extra hair was holding him back.

Russ
06-13-2020, 01:24 AM
This is great news tbh. All that extra hair was holding him back.

Samson in reverse?

Slippy
06-13-2020, 05:53 AM

Guessing thats not something you want to advertise. It must of been hard for him to talk about it . Glad to see he at peace now.

ZeusWillJudge
06-13-2020, 11:03 AM

I don't know if you're suggesting that it might not be true, or that he shouldn't have talked about it? When he talked about how his hair was one of the few things he felt like he could control, it's totally consistent with people who have been abused long-term. I doubt that there was anything casual about it for him.

Dex
06-13-2020, 12:36 PM

Maybe you should just stop being a jackass and realize that there are people in this world who struggle with shit like this.

Just a thought.

Larry O
06-13-2020, 12:42 PM
As for Walker, and many others, it's the human thing to do, and that is channel ones pain, anger, and demons that continue to haunt them, through ways of suppression, escape, acting out in a negative way such as acts of rage, etc., or they try to control them. But as LW4 said, until one comes to grips and chooses to face that demon head on: to forgive; to let go and move on, then one can expect the possibility of healing, which will take time, and it varies from person to person. But Lonnie is on the right path now, so kudos to him! Looking forward, I hope he has a wonderful career in basketball, but more importantly, that in life, he would use his platform to help and encourage others and be a positive force to those who may be in similar situations. GLW4G!!!

Leetonidas
06-13-2020, 01:00 PM

What is he supposed to do. Make a scene? So yall can complain then that he shouldn't make a big deal out of it? Foh.

You're clearly sick in the head dude. Get help. I have no idea why a grown man would think there is something to gain for a male admitting his was raped

Robz4000
06-13-2020, 01:11 PM
Props to him for opening up about it, really takes some courage. Sucks he had to go this far in order for Pop to possibly give him consistent playing time, however.

SAGirl
06-13-2020, 02:24 PM
I admire him for sharing his reasons. God bless him.

SPURt
06-13-2020, 04:04 PM
Great kid! I can definitely relate to a childhood like that, takes a lot of courage to be so candid in a public forum. I hope he has a dream career in silver and black and accomplishes all of his personal goals on and off the court.

JPB
06-13-2020, 04:23 PM
There are unfortunately much more kids who get abused that we'll ever heard of... Sharing his experinence and thoughts is important for others currenrly or who have been in the same situation, similarly to "ME TOO" and people taking conscience of how many women were sexually abused or raped.

phxspurfan
06-13-2020, 06:59 PM
wow that's pretty deep

BacktoBasics
06-13-2020, 07:47 PM
Its okay if you want to talk about the times you were raped.

DAF86
06-13-2020, 08:03 PM
I'm not im favour of airing personal stuff on social media, but if he feels this is something he needed to do, good for him.

ducks
06-13-2020, 09:36 PM
Ofcourse nothing from pop on this
To bussy focusing on trump even though spurs pay him for titles

Fingaroll44
06-14-2020, 07:56 AM
Kind of inevitable I guess. How do you run/hide from yourself in a quarantine?

YGWHI
06-15-2020, 11:39 AM
Talking about abuse is part of the healing process. I read other stories and I'm glad that Lonnie can talk about this now because other players couldn't and their lives were really hard.
Kenny Anderson lost all his money and dealt with alcohol and other self-destructive ways. Anderson said he started to be fine after he revealed his story of childhood abuse but it took him 30 years to be able to talk about it.
Keyon Dooling finished in a mental institution for some months because he couldn't deal with a similar story but he got better after he started writing about his abuse.

hombre
06-17-2020, 01:05 AM

If you read the article, it took him time and introspection to come public with what happened to him, forgive in an effort try to put it behind him.

You have a such depressing outlook.