PDA

View Full Version : Celtics: Larry Bird 1986 Playoffs Highlights - G.O.A.T.!

zhugelianges
06-13-2020, 03:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OhYw2cFMc4

"Larry Bird 1986 Playoffs Highlights - G.O.A.T.!" is a offense and defense highlights compilation I made for One of the Greatest Small Forwards Ever, Larry Bird, in his playoffs run in 1986. It includes the very specific post moves in low post by Prime Larry Bird and large amount of great passes and ball fakes for Larry Bird during one of the Greatest NBA playoffs performance in the NBA (in 1986) so far.

Larry Bird is clearly one of the Greatest....

3-peat MVP
winning MVP and FMVP at the same time in 1986
in finals posting nearly 24+10+10 with 50% FG%
clearly insane

Hope you enjoy the video. If you like my video, please share the video and subscribe to my channel.

LkrFan
06-13-2020, 08:29 AM
:lol

MultiTroll
06-13-2020, 11:33 AM
Excellent. Always like seeing real hoop.

Too bad Stern took out the Rockets after 86.

lefty
06-13-2020, 11:35 AM
Excellent. Always like seeing real hoop.

Too bad Stern took out the Rockets after 86.

Gotta protect that Hollywood $$$$$$$$&$$

phxspurfan
06-13-2020, 06:22 PM
Slow as shit, slow release would get packed into the 3rd row

No long defenders in those days, they had Dominique falling down defending him. No way he gets that kind of space against guys even like Pat Beverly much less Kawhi/Paul George etc

Basically the game back then was shooting guards and centers. No small forwards doing what they do now.

Put Doncic in that NBA and he dominates more than Bird.

Spurtacular
06-13-2020, 06:23 PM
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1973/8181/products/[email protected]?v=1565121316

lefty
06-13-2020, 10:46 PM
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1973/8181/products/[email protected]?v=1565121316

True true

lefty
06-13-2020, 10:51 PM

No long defenders in those days, they had Dominique falling down defending him. No way he gets that kind of space against guys even like Pat Beverly much less Kawhi/Paul George etc

Basically the game back then was shooting guards and centers. No small forwards doing what they do now.

Actually with his 3 pt shooting and passing abilities Bird would thrive in today’s NBA

Spurtacular
06-13-2020, 10:55 PM

:lmao Did you just say Patrick Beverly gonna stop Larry Bird?
Jordan tried. He got owned.

And Dennis Rodman / Scottie Pippen were better defenders in the post than Kawhi / George.

phxspurfan
06-13-2020, 11:48 PM
Actually with his 3 pt shooting and passing abilities Bird would thrive in today’s NBA

No doubt Bird would be good today. But just another one of the good SFs. There are many like him now

phxspurfan
06-13-2020, 11:49 PM
:lmao Did you just say Patrick Beverly gonna stop Larry Bird?
Jordan tried. He got owned.

And Dennis Rodman / Scottie Pippen were better defenders in the post than Kawhi / George.

Jordan’s defense was overrated. But put a Pippen type on him, someone that’s as tall as him and probably faster, and he wouldn’t get his shot off. Someone like KD or Kawhi would eat him up

Spurtacular
06-14-2020, 12:24 AM
put a Pippen type on him, someone that’s as tall as him and probably faster, and he wouldn’t get his shot off. Someone like KD or Kawhi would eat him up

They did. Pippen. And he couldn't shut down old injured Bird for that matter.
Bird would tear KD or Kawhi a new one, bruh. Especially KD.

Spurtacular
06-14-2020, 12:26 AM
Jordan’s defense was overrated.

He's arguably the best one-on-one defender of players 6'6" and under.

TDfan2007
06-14-2020, 11:31 AM

Somebody here doesn't play competitive basketball...

daslicer
06-14-2020, 12:10 PM
Jordan’s defense was overrated. But put a Pippen type on him, someone that’s as tall as him and probably faster, and he wouldn’t get his shot off. Someone like KD or Kawhi would eat him up

I don't know if you are trolling or if you are serious but Bird had some good games against Pippen when he was past his prime.

ewKkvMs54dc

lefty
06-14-2020, 12:50 PM
TOSB Bird even scored a game winner on the road in both Pippen and Jordan’s faces :lol

Dirks_Finale
06-14-2020, 01:20 PM
No doubt Bird would be good today. But just another one of the good SFs. There are many like him now

Not 1 SF today possesses Bird's basketball IQ which is what made him better than everyone else. Only player i have seen on par with Bird in that department was Tim Duncan.

Spurtacular
06-14-2020, 04:32 PM
Not 1 SF today possesses Bird's basketball IQ which is what made him better than everyone else. Only player i have seen on par with Bird in that department was Tim Duncan.

I have them top two with Bird having the edge.

Spurtacular
06-14-2020, 04:35 PM

What you don't understand is that the NBA wasn't soft back then. Doncic wouldn't have the free reign to chuck.
And if he tried to, his 3 percentage would be way down.

Neo.
06-14-2020, 06:32 PM
Not 1 SF today possesses Bird's basketball IQ which is what made him better than everyone else.

i think other players have comparable basketball iq, including lebron and cp3 (although not a sf)

i think what set him apart, was that along with the iq, bird had the best approach to the game ive ever seen, in terms of the proper balance between taking over the scoring load and creating for others at the right times. timmy and luka (although early for him) are probably the only other players ive seen with the balance of those two things that bird had.

Neo.
06-14-2020, 06:36 PM
What you don't understand is that the NBA wasn't soft back then

not sure what this has to do with luka, especially since absolutely nothing about him is soft (unless youre talking about complaining, which has nothing to do with being soft, as opposed to the fact that he doesnt get calls that any other decent player gets)

Doncic wouldn't have the free reign to chuck.
And if he tried to, his 3 percentage would be way down.

"chucking" is much of the reason his 3pt % isnt great. if he just stuck to taking open spot up 3s, his 3pt% would likely be much better, but the threat of the step-back makes defenders have an even harder time figuring him out and help him tremendously when trying to create space against more athletic defenders

phxspurfan
06-14-2020, 08:13 PM
I don't know if you are trolling or if you are serious but Bird had some good games against Pippen when he was past his prime.

ewKkvMs54dc

way to cherry pick examples when Bird was an NBA golden boy and Pippen was a brand new rookie

phxspurfan
06-14-2020, 08:14 PM
i think other players have comparable basketball iq, including lebron and cp3 (although not a sf)

i think what set him apart, was that along with the iq, bird had the best approach to the game ive ever seen, in terms of the proper balance between taking over the scoring load and creating for others at the right times. timmy and luka (although early for him) are probably the only other players ive seen with the balance of those two things that bird had.

KD

KobesAchilles
06-15-2020, 11:50 AM
KD
KD what? I know you're not putting Mr. Iso ball out there as a high iq player. The dude was bitching about running an actual system that required him to screen and cut and play off-ball. The Thunder got routinely exposed because all Westbrook and KD know how to do is dribble dribble shoot.

I will say this about Bird, his passing game is really what separates him from other SFs (not including Lebron). And yes I know Pip was a "point forward" but he still wasn't as good at it as ol Larry. Nobody had a better pass fake than Larry and that led to so many easy buckets. That's part of what made him so hard to guard, the dude was tall af, could shoot like no other, post up, shoot with either hand, and played so unselfishly that opponents didn't know if he was going to pass or shoot. Everyone shits on his athleticism, but when you got all the other parts of his game along with a brain that just understands everything, it's beautiful to watch man. Just like Timmy down in the post.

lefty
06-15-2020, 12:30 PM
KD what? I know you're not putting Mr. Iso ball out there as a high iq player. The dude was bitching about running an actual system that required him to screen and cut and play off-ball. The Thunder got routinely exposed because all Westbrook and KD know how to do is dribble dribble shoot.

I will say this about Bird, his passing game is really what separates him from other SFs (not including Lebron). And yes I know Pip was a "point forward" but he still wasn't as good at it as ol Larry. Nobody had a better pass fake than Larry and that led to so many easy buckets. That's part of what made him so hard to guard, the dude was tall af, could shoot like no other, post up, shoot with either hand, and played so unselfishly that opponents didn't know if he was going to pass or shoot. Everyone shits on his athleticism, but when you got all the other parts of his game along with a brain that just understands everything, it's beautiful to watch man. Just like Timmy down in the post.
Bird's passing is amazing

The only modern player who reminds me of Bird in that area is Jokic; his assists are really carbon copies of Bird's it's uncanny

i'm_still_beta
06-15-2020, 12:50 PM

:lmao Good Lord!

BTW Dominique Wilkins, Alex English, Bernard King, Adrian Dantley, Dr J, Mark Aguirre, Dennis Rodman. What a bunch of scrubs

phxspurfan
06-15-2020, 12:54 PM
Bird's passing is amazing

The only modern player who reminds me of Bird in that area is Jokic; his assists are really carbon copies of Bird's it's uncanny

much shorter, skinnier Jokic is exactly what Bird would be in today's uber athletic NBA. He would be curb stomped. He would be a poor man's Lonzo Ball. Or a 1 inch taller Shaun Livingston. A role player who would have to make his shot a lot quicker to get it off against NBA level wing defenders.

Just look at other shooters and see their quick releases, to see what type of shooter works these days.

1mylpwZVbjk

-Blot8-kXBY

YFPK-iODifo

now slow ass Bird. Look at him double clutch every shot here and hold his elbow way out like a shot put. Easy to block that shit. Reminds me of Lonzo Ball

MrE_NeoQQEY

0CNxoTKvG20

lefty
06-15-2020, 02:59 PM
I meant in term of passing, don’t get it twisted lol, and I don’t think Jokic has been curbstomped

Bird could hit quick release 3s, he didn’t have to do it often as he was able to create separation or was open

And yeah Bird won multiplet 3 pt contests but he reminds you of Lonzo, that logic :lol

Dirks_Finale
06-15-2020, 04:03 PM
Headshot.

I meant in term of passing, don’t get it twisted lol, and I don’t think Jokic has been curbstomped

Bird could hit quick release 3s, he didn’t have to do it often as he was able to create separation or was open

And yeah Bird won multiplet 3 pt contests but he reminds you of Lonzo, that logic :lol

phxspurfan
06-15-2020, 04:39 PM

Jokic is pretty decent, not doubt about that. Great court vision. Can pass over and under other centers. But -- Jokic is a center, guarded by centers. Which in today's NBA isn't saying much, as the centers today aren't what they were in the 90s or 2000s. They're all out of their element trying step back jumpers and shit. Big difference than being guarded by the best players in the NBA (wings). Also, Jokic gets tired playing like 30 minutes but thats beside the point lol

And I can win the lottery or have a 40" vert, I just need to watch some youtubes and try harder but too busy playing video games lulz

Anyway, to /thread:

Bird not the GOAT. Not even close to GOAT statusPERIOD

He was a cute 80s bballer who whites liked bc they wanted/needed someone to root for in a largely black sport. A good foil to compete with Magic and the Showtime Lakers. Also didn't have any physical gifts besides height, and his health fell off a cliff so his career doesn't even match guys like LeBron in the GOAT SF debate. That's it. And tbh he was overmatched by Jordan, the GOAT, who just happened to join the NBA in the same decade. Too bad the Bulls didn't get things together until the 90s, otherwise the C's would be like all the 90s guys with no rings bc of Mike.

lefty
06-15-2020, 04:51 PM
Lol at the lottery analogy, but I meant he did
He just didn’t do it often because of the reasons I mentioned

TDfan2007
06-16-2020, 10:56 AM
much shorter, skinnier Jokic is exactly what Bird would be in today's uber athletic NBA. He would be curb stomped. He would be a poor man's Lonzo Ball. Or a 1 inch taller Shaun Livingston. A role player who would have to make his shot a lot quicker to get it off against NBA level wing defenders.

Just look at other shooters and see their quick releases, to see what type of shooter works these days.

1mylpwZVbjk

-Blot8-kXBY

YFPK-iODifo

now slow ass Bird. Look at him double clutch every shot here and hold his elbow way out like a shot put. Easy to block that shit. Reminds me of Lonzo Ball

MrE_NeoQQEY

0CNxoTKvG20

There are ways to make up for a slower release (ex creating more separation ala Harden). And basketball is not just about vertical athleticism...

Bird had every skill in the book and was ridiculously coordinated for his size. He would've been great in any era, especially one such as today where you can't touch anyone and people do almost nothing but run around and jack up 3s .

Tim Duncan made a career out of destroying guys who were bigger, stronger, and more athletic than him. In basketball, size, coordination, and skill can make up for athletic disadvantages.

baseline bum
06-16-2020, 11:13 AM
I feel bad for fans who never got to watch Bird during his era. That guy had almost everything offensively: range, court vision, he was devastating in the post, reliable at the free throw line, even if you were up in his shit the guy could consistently hit difficult shots like no one I have seen other than Kobe, and he was legendarily clutch. Yeah he was horrendous defensively but he's right there with LeBron and Jordan for the most complete packages I have ever seen offensively.

SpursforSix
06-16-2020, 11:19 AM
Is Bird the best player with a terrible NBA body?

SpursforSix
06-16-2020, 11:29 AM
I feel bad for fans who never got to watch Bird during his era. That guy had almost everything offensively: range, court vision, he was devastating in the post, reliable at the free throw line, even if you were up in his shit the guy could consistently hit difficult shots like no one I have seen other than Kobe, and he was legendarily clutch. Yeah he was horrendous defensively but he's right there with LeBron and Jordan for the most complete packages I have ever seen offensively.

For real. I was anti-Bird mostly because I was pro Magic starting with their college careers. And that was because I was pro Moncrief and Bird's team took them out of the bracket.

But yeah...unless you really saw him play, it would be hard to understand how great he really was. His understanding of the game and reflexes were as good as it gets. I'm not sure who the best comparison to him even is.

phxspurfan
06-16-2020, 12:10 PM
Is Bird the best player with a terrible NBA body?

No that's Charles Barkley

SpursforSix
06-16-2020, 12:14 PM
No that's Charles Barkley

That's a good one. I'd still give it to Bird though. Agguire was the first one that came to mind.

Dirks_Finale
06-16-2020, 05:26 PM
Truth!

Guy chain smoked and drank beer like crazy :lol. Could barely jump over a monday morning newspaper...yet outsmarted everyone on the floor on a nightly basis. Really incredible to see him play and a shame he didn't take better care of himself. Would have loved to see him play into the late 90's.

lefty
06-16-2020, 06:17 PM
Bird is also the GOAT trash talker

yeah other legends were good trash talkers but most of the time they talked trash against guys you expect them to beat

Bird was just on another level when it came to talk shit :lol

ambchang
06-16-2020, 07:41 PM
True true

Are you saying a garbage man is the GoAT?

Canyonero
06-16-2020, 08:10 PM
Such a hard working high IQ baller.

lefty
06-16-2020, 09:01 PM
Such a hard working high IQ baller.

You forgot crafty

Clipper Nation
06-17-2020, 11:36 AM

:lol He'd be another Gordon Hayward at best. The NBA has real athletes now, not a bunch of plumbers and accountants for Bird to pad his stats against (while playing on mega-stacked teams).

Spurtacular
06-17-2020, 04:36 PM

:lol Desperate

Spurtacular
06-17-2020, 04:44 PM
MrE_NeoQQEY

Pretend GOAT MJ: He didn't take off his top yet. I'd hate to see him when he takes off his top.

Didn't need to. :lol

Beat Dale Ellis, who many were saying was the best 3 shooter ever. :lol

:lol And raises the finger before the winning shot goes in.

phxspurfan
06-17-2020, 10:40 PM
MrE_NeoQQEY

Pretend GOAT MJ: He didn't take off his top yet. I'd hate to see him when he takes off his top.

Didn't need to. :lol

Beat Dale Ellis, who many were saying was the best 3 shooter ever. :lol

:lol And raises the finger before the winning shot goes in.

:lol bragging over a score of 17 in the 3pt shootout. Never seen so many bricks in my life. I think Bonner and Belinelli both shot better when they were there.

Bertans would be a better shooter.

lefty
06-17-2020, 10:45 PM
:lol bragging over a score of 17 in the 3pt shootout. Never seen so many bricks in my life. I think Bonner and Belinelli both shot better when they were there.

That specific contest was more about how he finished, he was going to lose then he flipped the switch

Bird also scored 24 or 25 in his first 3 pt contest win, you know when not every ball (or something like that) was worth 2 points like in today’s 3 point contest :lol
Amd before the same contest he asked his opponents who was going to finish 2nd :lol

Spurtacular
06-17-2020, 10:56 PM

He had to miss a few to make it close and dramatic.

TBH though:

College Bird w/no severed finger: Pistol Pete, Predrag Stojakovic, Drazen Petrovic
Pro Bird w/ severed finger: Reggie Miller, Ray Allen, Dirk Plus

Spurtacular
06-17-2020, 10:58 PM
That specific contest was more about how he finished, he was going to lose then he flipped the switch

Bird also scored 24 or 25 in his first 3 pt contest win, you know when not every ball (or something like that) was worth 2 points like in today’s 3 point contest :lol
Amd before the same contest he asked his opponents who was going to finish 2nd :lol

The balls were a bit weightier then, too. It had a significant effect on percentages.

lefty
06-17-2020, 11:16 PM
The balls were a bit weightier then, too. It had a significant effect on percentages.

True true

phxspurfan
06-17-2020, 11:46 PM

Bend over, I'll show you some weightier balls of significant percentage

ambchang
06-20-2020, 10:16 AM
:lol He'd be another Gordon Hayward at best. The NBA has real athletes now, not a bunch of plumbers and accountants for Bird to pad his stats against (while playing on mega-stacked teams).

That a why draymond green is some kind of defender of the century.

Paul George being sobbed by Ingles and associates.

i'm_still_beta
06-20-2020, 12:42 PM
:lol at those who think that 90's Jordan's Bulls would constantly beat Showtime Lakers, Bird's Celtics and Bad Boy Pistons. If these Bulls played in the 80's, Jordan would be lucky to have 2 rings let alone 6.

Neo.
06-20-2020, 01:56 PM
:lol at those who think that 90's Jordan's Bulls would constantly beat Showtime Lakers, Bird's Celtics and Bad Boy Pistons. If these Bulls played in the 80's, Jordan would be lucky to have 2 rings let alone 6.

this

or that they would constantly beat

big 3 spurs, big 3 lakers, big 3 celtics in the mid to late 00s
the big 4 spurs, bron heat and kd/russ thunder in the early 10s
the bron cavs and steph/kd warriors of the mid-late 10s

lefty
06-20-2020, 10:28 PM

this

Dirks_Finale
06-20-2020, 10:48 PM
this

or that they would constantly beat

big 3 spurs, big 3 lakers, big 3 celtics in the mid to late 00s
the big 4 spurs, bron heat and kd/russ thunder in the early 10s
the bron cavs and steph/kd warriors of the mid-late 10s

Neo.
06-20-2020, 11:37 PM

beating a 73 win team in the finals means you are no slouch of a team. not to mention had injuries not plagued them in 2015, or had the kd move not happened, they may well have won 2-3 championships. not saying they would have 100% beaten the bulls, but we can't just reason the bulls beat them without effort. then again, reasoning when LeBron is involved in a discussion isn't your strong suit

Spurtacular
06-21-2020, 04:34 AM
I'll take Pippen's Bulls over Kyrie's Cavs, tbh.

Killakobe81
06-26-2020, 02:29 PM

both are great but this is hyperbole.
Duncan is greater than Bird overall but not peak ...Bird had the greater peak Duncan the better. Career

Spurtacular
06-26-2020, 08:11 PM
both are great but this is hyperbole.
Duncan is greater than Bird overall but not peak ...Bird had the greater peak Duncan the better. Career

I'll take peak Bird over peak Duncan.

But damn, peak Duncan was destroying the Shaq Lakers dynasty and getting a quadruple double in the finals.

Spurtacular
07-03-2020, 12:55 AM
zhugelianges (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=50765)

Years back there was perfect video of the McHale vs Olajuwon 86 finals match-up. It was like 27 minutes or something; it was comprehensive and very well done. But then it disappeared from YT.

If you're looking for a project, I suggest that one. That was more of an epic match-up than people realize.

lefty
07-03-2020, 08:30 AM
zhugelianges (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=50765)

Years back there was perfect video of the McHale vs Olajuwon 86 finals match-up. It was like 27 minutes or something; it was comprehensive and very well done. But then it disappeared from YT.

If you're looking for a project, I suggest that one. That was more of an epic match-up than people realize.
Yep I remember that video

Spurtacular
07-03-2020, 07:48 PM
Yep I remember that video

Yea, not sure if I'm misremembering the time or not. But it was dang good.

lefty
07-03-2020, 08:11 PM
Yea, not sure if I'm misremembering the time or not. But it was dang good.

Post moves greatness

Spurtacular
07-03-2020, 08:27 PM
Post moves greatness

It was amazing. McHale's moves were better of course. But even young Hakeem had some impressive moves that complimented GOAT post player McHale. You could see where Hakeem later stole all his moves from. Media never likes to mention that. They act like Hakeem is a grand wizard who invented all his moves.

Spurtacular
07-04-2020, 07:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSdL0NSi80c

i'm_still_beta
07-04-2020, 08:03 AM
It was amazing. McHale's moves were better of course. But even young Hakeem had some impressive moves that complimented GOAT post player McHale. You could see where Hakeem later stole all his moves from. Media never likes to mention that. They act like Hakeem is a grand wizard who invented all his moves.

Mchale didn't invent them too. Post moves aren't some secret weapon.

Their styles were different too. I feel like Mchale had bigger array of moves. Up and under was his go-to move. He hit more creative and tougher shots inside.

Hakeem's post game was more spin-based although he used up and under often. He used dream shake. He also had slightly quicker fadeway (and more range with it).

Don't know who had better post game.

i'm_still_beta
07-04-2020, 08:16 AM
Mchale's post game was more like classic, traditional; Hakeem's post game was unique, unorthodox, if that's make any sense.

That's why I don't think that Hakeem stole anything. His game was unique

Spurtacular
07-04-2020, 09:12 AM
Mchale didn't invent them too. Post moves aren't some secret weapon.

Their styles were different too. I feel like Mchale had bigger array of moves. Up and under was his go-to move. He hit more creative and tougher shots inside.

Hakeem's post game was more spin-based although he used up and under often. He used dream shake. He also had slightly quicker fadeway (and more range with it).

Don't know who had better post game.

The way McHale did it; his moves were pretty much an invention. Of course he wasn't the first to ever do a pivot or up and unders.

lefty
07-04-2020, 07:09 PM
Hakeem was more raw back then but for a sophomore who started playing bball only a few years earlier he already had some nice post moves and even hit a few of his great fadeaway turnaround jumpers in Parish’s face

Spurtacular
05-28-2021, 06:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x56QCv21-hs