PDA

View Full Version : Netflix CEO Reed Hastings Gives $120 Million To Historically Black Colleges

ElNono
06-18-2020, 12:26 AM
Netflix CEO Reed Hastings Gives $120 Million To Historically Black Colleges

Reed Hastings, the co-founder of Netflix, and his wife, Patty Quillin, donated $120 million to the United Negro College Fund, Spelman College and Morehouse College (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/17/business/netflix-reed-hastings-hbcus.html), the largest-ever individual gift to support scholarships at historically black colleges and universities. The record donation comes amid protests after the police killing ofGeorge Floyd, and the national conversation about how to end systemic racism. That conversation has included discussions about how to provide more education and job opportunities for African Americans. Unlike the Ivy League universities that have endowments in the tens of billions of dollars -- Harvard University's endowment tops $40 billion -- the top historically black colleges and universities, or H.B.C.U.s, have endowments that are hundreds of millions of dollars. Spelman's, for example, is around $390 million. Mr. Hastings said he and Ms. Quillin wanted to help change that.

They have made education a primary focus of their philanthropy, and have given smaller amounts in the past several years to the same institutions. "I think white people in our nation need to accept that it's a collective responsibility," Mr. Hastings said. Mr. Floyd's killing and the emotional outpouring that followed were "the straw that broke the camel's back, I think, for the size of the donation," he added. Mr. Hastings said he hoped that the donation would lead other wealthy individuals to give to H.B.C.U.s. "Generally, white capital flows to predominantly white institutions, perpetuating capital isolation," he and Ms. Quillin said in a statement (https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/patty-quillin-and-reed-hastings-fund-200-full-scholarships-at-spelman-college-with-a-40-million-gift-301078698.html) announcing the donation on Wednesday.

The report adds that 7 percent of Netflix's employees in the United States are African-American, "as are 8 percent of its company leaders, which is among the highest in the technology industry (but still only about half the share of African-Americans in the overall population)."

:tu:tu:tu

DMC
06-18-2020, 12:35 AM
What's the total in donations from Oprah, LeBron James, the Kobe Bryant estate, Michael Jordan, all these wealthy rappers like Jay-Z?

Spurtacular
06-18-2020, 12:36 AM
Billionaire CEOs good now.

SnakeBoy
06-18-2020, 12:45 AM
Wow that's quite a sacrifice. Hope the dude can get by on the $4.8B he has left.

Spurtacular
06-18-2020, 01:02 AM
Wow that's quite a sacrifice. Hope the dude can get by on the $4.8B he has left.

He'll be able to keep all the blacks on the plantation and make due. :tu

Reck
06-18-2020, 01:05 AM
He'll be able to keep all the blacks on the plantation and make due. :tu

racist derp mode.

Spurtacular
06-18-2020, 01:08 AM
racist derp mode.

Wreck clutching her pearls.

ElNono
06-18-2020, 01:26 AM
What's the total in donations from Oprah, LeBron James, the Kobe Bryant estate, Michael Jordan, all these wealthy rappers like Jay-Z?

Those are all well known philanthropists, tbh... hopefully they're doing their part too...

ElNono
06-18-2020, 01:27 AM

One would hope, tbh, especially since with the conservative boycott going on...

Spurtacular
06-18-2020, 01:47 AM
Those are all well known philanthropists, tbh... hopefully they're doing their part too...

None of them would give you a cup of water if you were on fire unless a camera was rolling, tbh.

FrostKing
06-18-2020, 02:01 AM
Those schools have little diversity. They don't belong in today's new America.

Spurtacular
06-18-2020, 02:10 AM
Those schools have little diversity. They don't belong in today's new America.

It's okay for blacks to be segregationists. Ask the Chumpettes.

Also you're kind of 180'ing on all your sh**.

FrostKing
06-18-2020, 02:13 AM
It's okay for blacks to be segregationists. Ask the Chumpettes.

Also you're kind of 180'ing on all your sh**.
In America, I am a chameleon my friend. Moving all the time growing up developed humor, thick skin and ability to adapt to any circumstance

clambake
06-18-2020, 02:19 AM
Easiest trigger in recent spurstalk history, ELNono

Well played

ElNono
06-18-2020, 02:39 AM
None of them would give you a cup of water if you were on fire unless a camera was rolling, tbh.

That's fine, I can get my own water.

ElNono
06-18-2020, 02:39 AM

Well played

:lol

TDMVPDPOY
06-18-2020, 06:59 AM
how much is the fund donated so far?...wont make a difference

400years in america, still playing the race card, yet new immigrants come to america with 2 blank hands do any job to change their fate...beats coming where they come from...

LkrFan
06-18-2020, 07:20 AM

Even after death, you farmers bring Kobe up for no damn reason. WTF son? :lol

LkrFan
06-18-2020, 07:26 AM
Good shit tbh. That's a start. :tu

We know Black colleges don't get the funding Duke, Ohio State and many many other colleges non-Black get.

I think all black superstar athletes should go Howard and other black colleges. Stop going to UNC or UT or Bama. When Black colleges recruit stars, it will attract ESPN and other revenue streams, etc. This will begin the overdue process of leveling the playing field a bit for minorities.

Trill Clinton
06-18-2020, 07:44 AM

Well played

DMC
06-18-2020, 11:14 PM

Okay so what's the total they've donated to historically black colleges and universities?

DMC
06-18-2020, 11:15 PM

We know Black colleges don't get the funding Duke, Ohio State and many many other colleges non-Black get.

I think all black superstar athletes should go Howard and other black colleges. Stop going to UNC or UT or Bama. When Black colleges recruit stars, it will attract ESPN and other revenue streams, etc. This will begin the overdue process of leveling the playing field a bit for minorities.

Great fucking idea Horatio, let's go to a Mexican system. We should move back to segregation and have the Negro baseball league too. That's a great idea. Why didn't anybody think of that?

ElNono
06-18-2020, 11:15 PM
Okay so what's the total they've donated to historically black colleges and universities?

Dunno, you brought them up, you should know.

DMC
06-18-2020, 11:17 PM

I brought up his estate. He's worth about seven hundred million dollars. How much has he given to historically black colleges and universities? He would not even let his parents have a fucking dime.

ElNono
06-18-2020, 11:20 PM
I brought up his estate. He's worth about seven hundred million dollars. How much has he given to historically black colleges and universities? He would not even let his parents have a fucking dime.

That coz his parents were shit, tbh... he got those genes from somewhere.... all these athletes have foundations to lower their tax bills, tbh

Spurtacular
06-18-2020, 11:27 PM

A fanboy like you will be forever reeling.

Spurtacular
06-18-2020, 11:27 PM

Would've been a billionaire; but had to rape. :lol

FrostKing
06-18-2020, 11:56 PM

Duke has one of the finest Biomedical Engineering departments in the nation. Do those Black schools even have a science building :lol

LkrFan
06-19-2020, 02:08 PM

You only brought up his estate (who's done nothing to deserve your hatred) because he's dead, but I digress.

He's done a ton of things that he didn't want publicity for.

His parents were on his payroll until they stabbed him in the back. Besides Jellybean ain't broke. :lol

Comparing that to him stopping his parents from selling his shit is weak son. Do better. :lol

DMC
06-19-2020, 11:40 PM
You only brought up his estate (who's done nothing to deserve your hatred) because he's dead, but I digress.

He's done a ton of things that he didn't want publicity for.

His parents were on his payroll until they stabbed him in the back. Besides Jellybean ain't broke. :lol

Comparing that to him stopping his parents from selling his shit is weak son. Do better. :lol
What has the estate done for HBCUs? tick tock motherfucker.

Spurtacular
06-19-2020, 11:42 PM

That's not fair. I have no doubt he would've been shitting on Kobe still had he not been dumb enough to kamikaze into a mountain.