PDA

View Full Version : WTF Doc had his SA home burned down by skinheads??

gospursgojas
06-18-2020, 02:31 PM
On Flying Coach podcast Doc Rivers and Steve Kerr discussing race and racists and such. Doc stated his home here in SA was burned down by skin heads. I’ve never heard this story before. Found the one link below discussing it. Anyone know anymore to this story and if they ever prosecuted anyone for it?

https://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/rivers-burns-article-1.776410

Twisted_Dawg
06-18-2020, 02:38 PM
I know the party who bought his burned house in Shavano Park and rebuilt it. He said what he was told by people in the know in Shavano Park was that Doc had a crazy girlfriend who got into his house while Doc and his wife were out of town and started the fire by turning an iron on and leaving it on some clothes.

daslicer
06-18-2020, 02:43 PM
I know the party who bought his burned house in Shavano Park and rebuilt it. He said what he was told by people in the know in Shavano Park was that Doc had a crazy girlfriend who got into his house while Doc and his wife were out of town and started the fire by turning an iron on and leaving it on some clothes.

Interesting if that's true. It maybe the reasons why Doc never fully pursued the arsonist.

gospursgojas
06-18-2020, 02:44 PM

Wow. That’s a twist in the story. Could it be Shavano being Shavano and protecting image tho?

Twisted_Dawg
06-18-2020, 02:49 PM
Interesting if that's true. It maybe the reasons why Doc never fully pursued the arsonist.

It wouldn't have been up to Doc to pursue any alleged arsonist. That responsibility lies with law enforcement. I've been in that house on Ottawa Dr in Shavano Park after the fire and when it was repaired. I don't know if it's true a crazy girlfriend did that, but I was told the story by the guy who bought the house.

Atl Spur
06-18-2020, 03:28 PM
Maybe it was skinheads.......Texas is Texas! The place that brought you white dudes dragging a black dude behind their truck!

lmbebo
06-18-2020, 03:53 PM
Never believed that story .... Family lives in that neighborhood and its been relatively quiet for years.... I think Benoit Benjamin's family used to live in that neighborhood as well.

TXstbobcat
06-18-2020, 04:42 PM

Andre Rison had the same crazy female problem.

DesignatedT
06-18-2020, 05:03 PM
Prob had nothing to do with race and I don't see anything in that article pointing to that conclusion. More garbage.

phxspurfan
06-18-2020, 07:16 PM
Might have happened, who knows. Shavano is sketchy. One of my HS GFs lived behind the house of Allen Blackthorne (millionaire who killed his wife).

https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/Former-S-A-millionaire-who-hired-hitman-to-kill-5907669.php

lmbebo
06-18-2020, 09:03 PM
Might have happened, who knows. Shavano is sketchy. One of my HS GFs lived behind the house of Allen Blackthorne (millionaire who killed his wife).

https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/Former-S-A-millionaire-who-hired-hitman-to-kill-5907669.php

Know someone who worked with him ... completely surprised by it.

alpha_HaZE
06-18-2020, 11:32 PM
On Flying Coach podcast Doc Rivers and Steve Kerr discussing race and racists and such. Doc stated his home here in SA was burned down by skin heads. I’ve never heard this story before. Found the one link below discussing it. Anyone know anymore to this story and if they ever prosecuted anyone for it?

https://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/rivers-burns-article-1.776410

100% true, Austin Rivers, his son, said the same thing in the Lowe Pod a few years ago. Apparently people were upset a black man married a white woman. Yikes.

JPB
06-19-2020, 03:21 AM
You guys have funky neighborhoods...

DJR210
06-19-2020, 04:04 AM
Maybe it was skinheads.......Texas is Texas! The place that brought you white dudes dragging a black dude behind their truck!

East rural Texas is almost a completely different state..

Atl Spur
06-19-2020, 04:12 AM

The fact that it happened anywhere is the issue; that explanation is pretty consistent with U.S history.

pookenstein
06-19-2020, 05:37 AM
Perhaps his crazy GF was a skinhead? :smokin

boutons_deux
06-19-2020, 08:31 AM

It's Deep South as much as LA to GA is Deep South.

I grew up over there when it was Jim Crow country, and still is socially.

Nasty fucking place, sends Louie Gohmert to Congress

Trill Clinton
06-19-2020, 10:08 AM
I believe him. Wealthy black guy in a upscale neighborhood with a white wife...yea racists don't like that.

Twisted_Dawg
06-19-2020, 10:37 AM
100% true, Austin Rivers, his son, said the same thing in the Lowe Pod a few years ago. Apparently people were upset a black man married a white woman. Yikes.

I believe him. Wealthy black guy in a upscale neighborhood with a white wife...yea racists don't like that.

Because Austin Rivers restates a story his father told, this makes the event 100% accurate?
It would seem if indeed skinheads pulled off this hate crime, then the Shavano Police, Texas Rangers and FBI would have been all over that case and eventually made an arrest. But oddly there was no reports of skinhead activity before or after the fire. The case just quietly died.

Shavano Police are very aggressive with speeders and random people driving through their neighborhood. It's not a place to be if you dont live there. So to think that some skinheads just rolled up to Doc's house in their ride, parked in the circular driveway, and let themselves in to start a fire is a stretch.

As far as the white wife angle, we've had plenty of black players that had white wives or girlfriends and they were never victims of skinheads.

Trill Clinton
06-19-2020, 10:52 AM
Because Austin Rivers restates a story his father told, this makes the event 100% accurate?
It would seem if indeed skinheads pulled off this hate crime, then the Shavano Police, Texas Rangers and FBI would have been all over that case and eventually made an arrest. But oddly there was no reports of skinhead activity before or after the fire. The case just quietly died.

Shavano Police are very aggressive with speeders and random people driving through their neighborhood. It's not a place to be if you dont live there. So to think that some skinheads just rolled up to Doc's house in their ride, parked in the circular driveway, and let themselves in to start a fire is a stretch.

As far as the white wife angle, we've had plenty of black players that had white wives or girlfriends and they were never victims of skinheads.

Yes I will take the word of the person(s) who were there versus a messageboard rumor. Idk why its so hard to believe he was a victim of a hate crime.

KobesAchilles
06-19-2020, 11:16 AM
Don’t know either way. But Shavano was very isolated back in the day. This was before all the shit that’s there now. Wouldn’t be surprised if someone was racist against Rivers but it definitely wasn’t a skinhead. There’s literally a police station two blocks away. No skinhead is going there: A) in the rich area where they had to know the streets bc the roads are confusing as fuck in those neighborhoods, easy to get lost. B) They had to know which one was Rivers house. If anything it was an inside job (whether someone in the neighborhood or his ex-side chick)

Austin Rivers though wouldn’t know if it was the side piece and I’m sure Doc wouldn’t advertise it. What’s he supposed to tell his son back then? Well I was cheating on your mom with this other chick and then I ended it with her and she took it really bad and threatened me.

Either way tho a lot of shady shit happened in Shavano. The place basically had a law of its own and not all of it was on the up and up. Lots of suicides in that place too.

Atl Spur
06-19-2020, 11:17 AM
Yes I will take the word of the person(s) who were there versus a messageboard rumor. Idk why its so hard to believe he was a victim of a hate crime.

It’s not hard...... they just don’t like facing truth and dealing with it.

TimDunkem
06-19-2020, 11:19 AM
I'd be surprised, but not shocked. This is Texas after all.

1stborn
06-19-2020, 01:13 PM
I remember that, Joey was at my party the weekend before he went and killed Blackthorne’s ex.

Floyd Pacquiao
06-19-2020, 01:28 PM
Gotta be tough for skin heads in SA, it’s like 70% Mexican down there

elbamba1
06-19-2020, 02:00 PM
Typical Clark neighborhood.

elbamba1
06-19-2020, 02:07 PM

San Antonio, especially during the late 90s and early 2000s was a really big news town so a Spurs player's home being burned down by a skin head would hardly be important enough to make headlines.

Kool Bob Love
06-19-2020, 02:25 PM
Gotta be tough for skin heads in SA, it’s like 70% Mexican down there
Plot twist it was a wealthy Mexican Nationalist. A “ese” if you will.

ZeusWillJudge
06-19-2020, 08:17 PM
Maybe it was skinheads.......Texas is Texas!

You fucking mouth-breather. What a stupid thing to say, even for you.

Spurtacular
06-19-2020, 08:53 PM
This fails the sniff test, tbh.

Atl Spur
06-19-2020, 11:48 PM
You fucking mouth-breather. What a stupid thing to say, even for you.

Where did you graduate from?

Atl Spur
06-19-2020, 11:51 PM
That poor lad doesn’t know Texas history....you are not even worth insulting. Zeus, you might want to head on over to the little kids table.

DMC
06-19-2020, 11:52 PM

You're doing a bang up job there in Atlanta, home of the pro-slavery movements and resting place of the TOSB portion of Tiago Splitter.

DMC
06-19-2020, 11:52 PM
Where did you graduate from?

Likely a college that doesn't end sentences with prepositions.

Atl Spur
06-20-2020, 12:05 AM
Likely a college that doesn't end sentences with prepositions.

Lol........ that’s cute! Where did you graduate from smart guy?

Atl Spur
06-20-2020, 12:17 AM
You're doing a bang up job there in Atlanta, home of the pro-slavery movements and resting place of the TOSB portion of Tiago Splitter.

At least you have some balls.....kind of! I’m from Texas you know? I made a statement about Texas........ is it really that hard to research the depths of racism in Texas throughout history? I won’t insult you, you be well sport!

Atl Spur
06-20-2020, 12:22 AM
That dude ( I use that term loosely ) jumped off quick! I’m not going to insult you.

DJR210
06-20-2020, 05:33 AM
It's Deep South as much as LA to GA is Deep South.

I grew up over there when it was Jim Crow country, and still is socially.

Nasty fucking place, sends Louie Gohmert to Congress

Yeah.. If I was dark skinned I'd make sure my tank was full when passing through that shit hole :lol

DJR210
06-20-2020, 05:36 AM
The fact that it happened anywhere is the issue; that explanation is pretty consistent with U.S history.

I agree.. but you said Texas is Texas.. People here typically blend together just fine in metro and college towns, East Texas, Jasper namely, is a completely different type of place and anyone that's been through there knows what I mean

Atl Spur
06-20-2020, 06:13 AM
I agree.. but you said Texas is Texas.. People here typically blend together just fine in metro and college towns, East Texas, Jasper namely, is a completely different type of place and anyone that's been through there knows what I mean

I’m from Texas; played football out there.

DMC
06-20-2020, 08:45 AM
I’m from Texas; played football out there.

No one cares.

Atl Spur
06-20-2020, 09:19 AM
No one cares.

Ok. Thanks for sharing. Where did you go to school? Asking for a friend ........

DMC
06-20-2020, 10:28 AM
Ok. Thanks for sharing. Where did you go to school? Asking for a friend ........

You lost me at "friend".

Atl Spur
06-20-2020, 11:35 AM
You lost me at "friend".

Deflection with a hint of non- comprehension....a losing combination for most but somehow you make it work! Waiting on that school name.

DMC
06-21-2020, 07:39 PM
Deflection with a hint of non- comprehension....a losing combination for most but somehow you make it work! Waiting on that school name.

Keep waiting.

Atl Spur
06-22-2020, 08:47 AM
Keep waiting.

DMC.......has it come to this? Lol. Where’s that Zeus when you need him? I miss you buddy....... you can stop hiding bubba!

Atl Spur
06-22-2020, 08:54 AM
Nathan............. waiting on that data big guy. Help educate me on how & why these events took place ( massacre in Tulsa & Tuskegee Studies ). Call a friend, I’m sure Zeus has some insight & infinite wisdom! You guys are a treat we don’t deserve!

DMC
06-22-2020, 11:57 PM
Nathan............. waiting on that data big guy. Help educate me on how & why these events took place ( massacre in Tulsa & Tuskegee Studies ). Call a friend, I’m sure Zeus has some insight & infinite wisdom! You guys are a treat we don’t deserve!

You're the Avante of Atlanta.

Atl Spur
06-23-2020, 07:14 AM
You're the Avante of Atlanta.

That’s it?

wildbill2u
06-23-2020, 11:15 AM
This would have been front page news and Doc would surely have mentioned it the other players and a leak from them would have occurred. 2. If there are any skinheads organized in SA, they would have continued to do what skinheads do. Anyone heard of any similar cases? 3. All things considered race relations have been pretty good in San Antonio. The schools were integrated as soon as the Brown V. Board of Education was decided by the Supreme Court without any big problems like happened in Little Rock. 4. Lots of black Spurs players have made SA their permanent home after retirement and continued to be valuable and active members of the community. I don't think they would have chosen SA for their permanent home unless they felt comfortable that some skinheads weren't going to burn them out.

If I was Doc and had a crazy girlfriend who came over and set my house on fire, I'd float a story about skinheads or something too.

I call BS on this report.

Atl Spur
06-23-2020, 11:27 AM
This would have been front page news and Doc would surely have mentioned it the other players and a leak from them would have occurred. 2. If there are any skinheads organized in SA, they would have continued to do what skinheads do. Anyone heard of any similar cases? 3. All things considered race relations have been pretty good in San Antonio. The schools were integrated as soon as the Brown V. Board of Education was decided by the Supreme Court without any big problems like happened in Little Rock. 4. Lots of black Spurs players have made SA their permanent home after retirement and continued to be valuable and active members of the community. I don't think they would have chosen SA for their permanent home unless they felt comfortable that some skinheads weren't going to burn them out.

If I was Doc and had a crazy girlfriend who came over and set my house on fire, I'd float a story about skinheads or something too.

Do you live in San Antonio? Sean Elliott just spoke on this........ no need to explain for us.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-23-2020, 12:03 PM
link to sean’s commenta?

TimDunkem
06-23-2020, 12:49 PM
link to sean’s commenta?

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020/06/08/spurs-great-sean-elliott-shares-emotional-story-of-being-called-n-word-while-golfing-with-bruce-bowen-in-san-antonio/

elbamba1
06-23-2020, 01:40 PM
https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020/06/08/spurs-great-sean-elliott-shares-emotional-story-of-being-called-n-word-while-golfing-with-bruce-bowen-in-san-antonio/

Sean didn't speak to Doc's situation. But I can agree with his comments that he feels like he has to represent black people.

wildbill2u
06-23-2020, 01:46 PM
Do you live in San Antonio? Sean Elliott just spoke on this........ no need to explain for us.

I grew up in SA and lived there for many years. I was part of a student body at a prominent high school which made an effort to have black students enroll without any scenes like those at Little Rock high during the years immediately after the Brown v. Board of Education ruling that outlawed so-called separate but equal schools and mandated integration. Were there individual instances of racism? Probably, but the general view of the students was to make integration a non-issue.

I have a grandson, Alejandro, who may run into bias issues in SA, but hopefully not often and without serious damage to his psyche. No place that I know is completely free from the tribal core that develops racism. I've run into Black people and Brown people who hate me for simply being a white person, even when they don't know me. We've seen plenty of racism on ST where people can hide behind their usernames to call other people names. It goes with the territory of being part of humanity I guess. There are always going to be morons who see only skin color for their assessment of a person.

I read the comment from Sean. He expressed his feelings about being black in San Antonio with comments that he runs into prejudice here occasionally, but never blames all whites or San Antonio. There may be better places in the world to live, but he chose this place --and most of us, white, Black and Brown are happy he did. He didn't mention the skin head fire thing though which started the discussion.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-23-2020, 04:04 PM
Who are these people with heads made entirely of skin?

I require more information please.

Twisted_Dawg
06-24-2020, 07:12 AM

Keep in mind the fire started in Doc's wife's clothes closet. Does that sound like an act by "skinheads", or a bitch move by an angry, crazy jilted girlfriend?

FrostKing
06-24-2020, 11:12 AM
Keep in mind the fire started in Doc's wife's clothes closet. Does that sound like an act by "skinheads", or a bitch move by an angry, crazy jilted girlfriend?
Considering what we know publicly of Doc and Austin's dating lives - this is most likely true.

Not another noose in the garage conspiracy

Atl Spur
06-24-2020, 12:29 PM
Considering what we know publicly of Doc and Austin's dating lives - this is most likely true.

Not another noose in the garage conspiracy

Let’s hope not, this country has too many ( noose ) situations present throughout history.

wildbill2u
06-24-2020, 06:50 PM
No noose is good noose

OldMan88
06-25-2020, 12:37 AM
Doc is attempting some revisionist history. This story is pure bullshit.

Atl Spur
06-25-2020, 01:10 PM
I don’t know either way but let’s not act like it’s far fetched homies.

Chucho
06-25-2020, 01:15 PM

He didn't kill his wife. He paid a Mexican to kill his ex-wife.

His daughters Stevie and Daryl went to school with me for a few years before they left with their mom to Florida.

Chucho
06-25-2020, 01:16 PM
So, it seems Doc is another Smollet/Bubba Wallace?

pad300
06-25-2020, 01:40 PM
I don’t know either way but let’s not act like it’s far fetched homies.

It's pretty far fetched that an NBA coach would get his house burned down by skinheads without their being a major fuss...

Chucho
06-25-2020, 01:51 PM
It's pretty far fetched that an NBA coach would get his house burned down by skinheads without their being a major fuss...

Correct. And, during this same time was around the time those skin heads beat the shit out of a few gays in Olmos Park and it was all over the news and they captured them. It was hella news around that time in that area.

That was in Alamo Heights. You can't get more old-money, racist than Alamo Heights in San Antonio.

Twisted_Dawg
06-25-2020, 02:03 PM
He didn't kill his wife. He paid a Mexican to kill his ex-wife.

His daughters Stevie and Daryl went to school with me for a few years before they left with their mom to Florida.

He didn't pay the Mexican to kill his wife. He simply wanted him to rough her up and scare her. The Mexican didn't quite understand the orders and killed her.

Chucho
06-25-2020, 02:34 PM
He didn't pay the Mexican to kill his wife. He simply wanted him to rough her up and scare her. The Mexican didn't quite understand the orders and killed her.

No sir.

Detectives went on to discover that Blackthorne had asked Daniel Alex Rocha, a bookie with whom he golfed, to take care of Bellush so he could gain custody of their daughters. Rocha contacted Samuel Gonzales, whose cousin, Jose Luis Del Toro Jr., killed Bellush.In addition to Blackthorne, Rocha and Del Toro were sentenced to life in prison.

Atl Spur
06-25-2020, 10:04 PM

If you say so����

callo1
06-26-2020, 01:49 PM
Always heard this was a cover story for his girlfriend having done it, but hey, I wasn't there.

Insofar as Sean, he is one of the nicest and approachable guys you could imagine. I met him a few times.

I think there are times when people confuse somebody who is just being an a-hole for true racism. I am not saying this is true in Sean's case, but there are people out there who just say hateful things, not because it is rooted in racism, but because they are just a-holes. People like to get a rise from others by talking junk. Take these forums as proof...it happens all of the time.

My wife and I have been attacked with racist comments in the past, and while some may have been legit racism, most I attribute to people just being a-holes. There are a-holes of every color in the world...best to just ignore them. Ignoring them strips them of their pseudo power.

Atl Spur
06-26-2020, 02:35 PM
You can be an Ahole without being racist but all racist are Aholes! Being called a racial slur in a derogatory manner constitutes racist behavior.

ZeusWillJudge
08-08-2020, 04:20 PM

YOU don't live in SA, you constantly whining faggot. I know Sean personally. Used to live near him and we both kept big saltwater aquariums. That little un-air conditioned fish store off Vance Jackson used to give him a discount on shit... because he's a much-loved celebrity.

He gets treated like royalty in San Antonio, by damn near everyone. And if you asked him that directly he would agree. So he was at La Cantera playing golf with business execs, and some asshole driving by yelled a word. They yell shit at the golfers right there all the time, because they watched Happy Gilmore or something. They yell whatever they think will fuck with the golfers. That one incident has so little to do with the way he is treated, it's totally insignificant. If he's making the point that there are still racists, fine. But when that's your best example, it's just not that bad. I would have told him that, and would tell him that now if I lived there still. I guarantee you, his response would be something like, "Oh, no, I didn't mean it like that."

He's a really good guy. You aren't. And you talk out of your ass way, way too much.

Atl Spur
09-30-2020, 12:58 AM
YOU don't live in SA, you constantly whining faggot. I know Sean personally. Used to live near him and we both kept big saltwater aquariums. That little un-air conditioned fish store off Vance Jackson used to give him a discount on shit... because he's a much-loved celebrity.

He gets treated like royalty in San Antonio, by damn near everyone. And if you asked him that directly he would agree. So he was at La Cantera playing golf with business execs, and some asshole driving by yelled a word. They yell shit at the golfers right there all the time, because they watched Happy Gilmore or something. They yell whatever they think will fuck with the golfers. That one incident has so little to do with the way he is treated, it's totally insignificant. If he's making the point that there are still racists, fine. But when that's your best example, it's just not that bad. I would have told him that, and would tell him that now if I lived there still. I guarantee you, his response would be something like, "Oh, no, I didn't mean it like that."

He's a really good guy. You aren't. And you talk out of your ass way, way too much.
I just saw this........lol! No words for you.......