PDA

View Full Version : RASHO 6 years 45 million on espn

ducks
07-15-2003, 01:31 PM
The San Antonio Spurs have found their replacement for retired center David Robinson.

Free-agent center Rasho Nesterovic will sign a six-year contract estimated at $45 million with the Spurs, agent Bill Duffy told ESPN.com's Marc Stein on Tuesday.

Rasho Nesterovic narrowed his wish list down to two teams (Minnesota and San Antonio) and one long shot (New York). The defending champion Spurs, with two-time MVP Tim Duncan, won out.

"Rasho has a great fondess for Gregg Popovich," Duffy told ESPN.com. "This is a great opportunity to join a championship-caliber organization."

The Spurs, struggling to make use of their $15 million-plus in salary-cap space despite winning their second NBA title in franchise history last month, had been pursuing Nesterovic aggressively since missing out on Jason Kidd, Alonzo Mourning and P.J. Brown. The Spurs were also in talks with Indiana's Brad Miller.

Nesterovic already has a seven-year offer on the table worth more than $50 million from the Wolves, who desperately wanted to keep Nesterovic alongside Kevin Garnett on their front line. Minnesota was also hoping to add power forward Juwan Howard, but the Orlando Sentinel reported in Monday's editions that Howard has picked the Magic over the Wolves.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here. Also, send Stein a question for possible use on ESPNEWS.
link (http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/stein_marc/1580887.html)

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 01:33 PM
That deal starts at $6 million.

SpursFanInAustin
07-15-2003, 01:35 PM
That leaves us with $8-10 million to play with, right?

MannyIsGod
07-15-2003, 01:35 PM
Great price for Rasho no matter how you view it. Even less money than minniesota.

Nice.

smackdaddy11
07-15-2003, 01:36 PM
The Cap # becomes extremely important now.

42.5 mil come to papa :wacko

ducks
07-15-2003, 01:36 PM
cap should be out today

Truthsayer
07-15-2003, 01:38 PM
That's a bargain for a seven footer with skilz.

Morphgizmo
07-15-2003, 01:39 PM
Agreed MB.

Rasho at only $6 million starting is a nice safety net for the Spurs an allows them to keep their hat in the Brand lottery. If Brand falls through the cracks, toss big money at Odom or equivelant, and nab a backup point.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 01:42 PM
If the cap is $42.5 million then that should leave the Spurs with roughly $10.5 million. My guess is that the Spurs and Nesterovic might have agreed to a range of starting salaries depending on where the cap comes in. That way they could still make a play for a free agent in Brand or Odom's class (25% of cap).

Of course, I'm only a amateur when it comes to this cap stuff. Please direct all questions about the CBA to GhostWriter.

GrandeDavid
07-15-2003, 01:42 PM
I'll just trust Pop's instincts on this one. I do like the fact that he really likes Pop and that he is joining a championship-caliber team with a true team concept. I think that his positive attitude, physical skills and learning from Tim Duncan will make him twice the player he was in Minny.

spurster
07-15-2003, 01:43 PM
The rest of the summer is yet to be played out, but it will count as a major disappointment if Rasho ends up being the only big signing.

By itself though, this is a decent signing. The Spurs will have someone decent at center. Now while the Spurs make a play at Brand, we can complain about our hole at backup PG.

smackdaddy11
07-15-2003, 01:44 PM
Of course, I'm only a amateur when it comes to this cap stuff. Please direct all questions about the CBA to GhostWriter.
:lol

ChumpDumper
07-15-2003, 01:49 PM
Pop would play it pretty safe if he's this close--he might even have an agreement to pay Rasho an amount dependent on the on the cap.

Rasho must really have hated Minny, because he really seems to be playing ball to make this work.

SequSpur
07-15-2003, 01:55 PM
Great.. Lottery Bound. Maybe we can pull another Drob or Tdunc...

:depressed

SpursWoman
07-15-2003, 01:58 PM
Good, I'm glad you don't like him Sequ.

If I remember correctly, you didn't much care for Manu-re, either. :wink

exstatic
07-15-2003, 01:59 PM
^^^^That may be your dumbest post yet, SequCracker, and that's saying a LOT. :rollin

If you put Tim out there with 4 guys from the Y, the team would win 50 and be in the WC playoffs. Lottery...sheesh.

picnroll
07-15-2003, 02:02 PM
Can't believe some people. We just got pimped by Kidd. O'Neal went for the mony (and loyalty). PJ Brown takes less money to stay in NO. Now we have a guy coming to the Spurs for LESS money, willing to work with us on the money to get in more talent, a bargain for a skilled 7 footer, going to fit in well with the team chemistry-wise, undoubtedly going to bust his hump to improve, and some people are bitching about him. Infuckingcredible.

Walton Buys Off Me
07-15-2003, 02:04 PM
I will be level-headed and reserve comment or judgement till I see the final product.

However, if this is our 'big score', as ESPN is reporting then I'm not going to be happy

Truthsayer
07-15-2003, 02:06 PM
Can't believe some people. We just got pimped by Kidd. O'Neal went for the mony (and loyalty). PJ Brown takes less money to stay in NO. Now we have a guy coming to the Spurs for LESS money, willing to work with us on the money to get in more talent, a bargain for a skilled 7 footer, going to fit in well with the team chemistry-wise, undoubtedly going to bust his hump to improve, and some people are bitching about him. Infuckingcredible.

Ungratefull spoiled beeches. :rolleyes

gospurs21
07-15-2003, 02:08 PM
sequ is mr opposite guy

anything he says is usually the opposite that turns out to be the truth.

picknroll, I agree a guy willing to work with us moneywise, has heigth, and Pop meets with him on day 1. What's not to like?

Now lets go get Brand and really put the fear into the la geezers.

Go Spurs...

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 02:10 PM
No contracts have been signed and Spurs fans are already jumping. No surprise.

Ghost Writer
07-15-2003, 02:17 PM
Yes, I am the self-proclaimed "Cap Master". I leave number-crunching to nerds.

Well, at least we signed someone this offseason. And I am happy we addressed the hole at center.

Now to get in the game with the Clippers.

:cooldevil

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 02:20 PM
Ghost,

First I hope that you are seated.

This is going to come as a shock to you but if you are going to hear it you might as well hear it from me:

YOU ARE A "NERD."

Sincerely,
Mr. Bryant

Jimcs50
07-15-2003, 02:21 PM
The Spurs have quite the international flavor now. How many Spurs were born outside the US? Lets see. TD, Kerr, Parker, Rasho and Manu....anyone else? Scola maybe?

junglespur
07-15-2003, 02:23 PM
Ludden says $42M, not $45M. Maybe a little more spare change to go after Brand with...

NEW: Nesterovic to sign six-year, $42 million deal with Spurs

By Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

Web Posted : 07/15/2003 11:15 AM

Minnesota free-agent center Rasho Nesterovic has committed to signing a six-year contract with the Spurs worth about $42 million, a league source said this morning.
Spurs officials had yet to receive official notification from Nesterovic, but they had been led to believe he has agreed to sign with the team.

Nesterovic, 27, spent the first five seasons of his NBA career with the Timberwolves. He enjoyed his best season last year, averaging 11.2 points and 6.5 rebounds.

[email protected]

07/15/2003
mysanantonio (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/story.cfm?xla=saen&xlb=211&xlc=1025840)

Temple Of The Dog
07-15-2003, 02:27 PM
i'm thinking that this contract starts out at a little less than 6 million. (around 5.7)

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 02:29 PM
$42 mil? That'll knock it down a little from $6 mil starting. Good deal.

smackdaddy11
07-15-2003, 02:29 PM
If it is 42 mil Sterling will have his hands full. :)

KoriEllis
07-15-2003, 02:30 PM
$42M would be great. That would mean it starts at $5.7M. I think the Spurs intentionally went low with Rasho to have enough money to still make major moves. I hope so.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2003, 02:32 PM
Man who's feeling like shit now?

KG's running buddy left him for over 10 million dollars less to play with the "boring" TD.

AHF

scott
07-15-2003, 02:34 PM
Using the forumula of:

x + 1.1x + 1.21x + 1.33x + 1.46x + 1.61x = Total Contract Amount

I estimate the deal to be starting at the following amounts:

If $48mil (as reported on another site): $6.23 Million

If $45mil: $5.84 million

If $42mil: $5.45 million

This is a contract assuming 10% annual raises.

Given a $42.5 million cap, the max starting salary is $10.625 million.

We would be able to sign Rasho and Brand if the total deal is worth $45 or $42 million.

SpursWoman
07-15-2003, 02:34 PM
:lol @ AHF!

:sleep :sleepy :sleep :sleepy :sleep :sleepy

:fro

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 02:35 PM
scott,

I don't know. You better run those numbers by Ghost first.

-MB

JED916
07-15-2003, 02:37 PM
that's just 5.5 mil first year. Good value

Ghost Writer
07-15-2003, 02:37 PM
No scott, let the nerd with the pocket protector and the Chinese calculator figure it out for us. Why waste our time crunching cap numbers when we've got a resident dork to do it for us?

Temple Of The Dog
07-15-2003, 02:39 PM
42-48 million is what i thought they'd offer over 6 years (starting at around 6 million) 45 for 6 still beats out 50 million over 7 years. (that was the reported offer by minny) i thought he'd announce by noon too, but i think these reports aren't false... so... maybe its a done deal?

in the end, i think we outbid minny and i think rasho didn't want to stay anyway... and you have to remember that the total number (no matter if its between 42 to 48 wouldn't effect the cap that much for this year with the right increase per season)

scott
07-15-2003, 02:40 PM
While I can't be 100% sure, I'm fairly confident that Matthew uses the HB10b or the 12c. As far as I know, both are made in the USA.

spurster
07-15-2003, 02:47 PM
x + 1.1x + 1.21x + 1.33x + 1.46x + 1.61x = Total Contract Amount
I believe the correct formula is

x + 1.1x + 1.2x + 1.3x + 1.4x + 1.5x = Total Contract Amount

The raises aren't compounded.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 02:50 PM
I ran the #s and came up with a $5.6 mil starting salary for 6 years with $560k annual raises.

scott
07-15-2003, 02:50 PM
Raises would be compounded, otherwise they wouldn't really be 10% raises.

In your scenario, the raise after the second offseason would only be 9%.

scott
07-15-2003, 02:55 PM
You're right, of course.

members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#45 (http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#45)

45. Are the raises compounded? In other words, is each raise a percentage of the previous year's salary?
No. The raise is always a percentage of the first year salary. So if a team signs another team's player (10% maximum raise) to a six year contract starting at $10 million, the maximum raise is $1 million each year. So this player's six-year salary would be:

Year 1 $10 million
Year 2 $11 million
Year 3 $12 million
Year 4 $13 million
Year 5 $14 million
Year 6 $15 million

That kinda sucks- thankfully the real world isn't that way.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2003, 02:55 PM
Raises are computed (the 10% and 12.5%) on the first year's pay, not compounded pay.

Remember the term base year compensation? This is where it comes from - players in their "base" year.

AHF

maxpower
07-15-2003, 03:01 PM
"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY, SPURS ORGANIZATION" - HYPERCRITICAL NITPICKERS/BANDWAGONERS/SOOTHSAYERS/ADD'ers

I would never imagine the amount of negativity an organization could get but a month removed from the NBA championship.

One month ago...to the day.

So we didn't get kidd...would not address the need of the team...meh.

Did not get Jermaine O....would have addressed need and give him best chance at aquiring a ring...c'est la vie.

They are supposedly getting a big man, however. A somewhat quick and young 7 footer with a midrange jumper.

A midrange jumper.

All the pundits and experts expound almost religiously on how the NBA has lost the art of the midrange shot. Supposedly it's either a dunk or a 3.

How do you kill a zone...

Outside shot seems to be the simplest way...

Passing the ball

Penetration

I guess you guys can do the math.

The Spur's defense does not emphasize the one on one D-up...save for Bowen. It does require much communication and help...fundamentals if you will, patience, learning, understanding...simply put ...teamwork.

Although Rasho may not be an all world player. He seems to have the traits and skills which will allow him to complement and contribute to the team. I for one will or would not denounce my allegience to the team or badmouth them or cast any and every negative thought on how the organization has failed miserably this offseason. It is very disenchanting to hear supposed "fans" wail away....I don't know there was anything the organization could have done to persuade their top choices to decide otherwise...although I am satisfied ...all that cap space will not be tied into an older player who duplicates a position.

bigzak25
07-15-2003, 04:49 PM
All Defensive team he is not, but I can't complain.
Of the guys out there, he's the best and the price was right.

i'll be praying for Brand now thankyou......
:angel

T Park Num 9
07-15-2003, 04:51 PM
If Brand doesnt come they still go after Gilbert Arenas and have the next Isaiah Thomas and Joe Dumars combo :hat

SPURS21
07-15-2003, 05:34 PM
we learned the holting-pattern is a waste of time and won a championship while doing it

also, all this means is that we are still a contender and not a dynasty in the making

I'd rather pay rasho 6 mill a year than half tjhe big guys in the L
Steve Smith made 9 mill last year did he not?

Hopefully Pop has something more up his sleeve

Ghost Writer
07-15-2003, 06:25 PM
People can b1tch about Nesterovic all they want.

We just signed a kid who put up better numbers than Robinson last season at half the price of Robinson last season.

I'll take that.

SequSpur
07-15-2003, 06:32 PM
We just signed a kid who put up better numbers than Robinson last season at half the price of Robinson last season.

Season don't mean shit.

In the playoffs, David Robinson was a force! I don't see Nesterholting pattern putting up 25% of what David did...

Shit Nesterovic can't even spell playoff win.

Robinson would use Nesterovic like a piece of toilet paper after dropping a big ol shit.

Not even a comparison.

BS!

T Park Num 9
07-15-2003, 06:34 PM
That manure ginobili and Stephen Jackson aint shit huh.....

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 06:36 PM
Great, now Sequ is going Ghostal.©2003 MB Players, Inc.

Ghost Writer
07-15-2003, 06:42 PM

Until Brand and ODom are off the market, it is not fair to call this summer a disaster.

We just signed a center who put up Robinson-esque numbers for half as much as it would've cost us to sign an aging veteran PF/C like PJ Brown.

That's good sh1t right there.

kohai
07-15-2003, 06:46 PM
Great, now Sequ is going Ghostal

And...we have a winnner for POST OF THE DAY.:lol :rollin

Spursman
07-15-2003, 06:51 PM
I am curious about one thing. Everyone is hanging on Brands nutsack, why (I alread know he is a good player and I would like to have him too)? I mean we just got Nesterovic at Center and Duncan is already our PF. How would getting Brand playout in the rotation?

SequSpur
07-15-2003, 06:53 PM
Sequ is going Ghostal

:smokin

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 06:53 PM
Someone would leave the rotation...and the team.

adidas11
07-15-2003, 06:54 PM
Excellent point, Spursman.

Look for San Antonio to go after another key wingman, instead of Brand (for example, Odom)

Ghost Writer
07-15-2003, 06:57 PM
Spursman? I thought you were dead.

We'd either trade Nesterovic, experiment with a triple towered lineup or bring him off the bench. He'd only making like $6 million for krissakes.

If you get Brand, don't sweat the details. Marvel at the possibilities.

T Park Num 9
07-15-2003, 06:57 PM
My guess would be Malik Rose would be traded.

Possibly to Detroit for a Chucky Atkins, or a sign and trade Malik and Speedy to Washington for a Larry Hughes and somethin else?

or sign and trade Malik and speedy to whatever team wants Speedy as a starter.

Truthsayer
07-15-2003, 07:08 PM
Brand could play SF.

STARTERS
C - Rasho Nesterovic
PF - Tim Duncan
SF - Elton Brand
SG - Manu Ginobili (w/some minutes as PG)
PG - Tony Parker

BACKUPS
PF/C - Malik Rose
SF - Bruce Bowen
SG - Stephen Jackson
PG - Steve Kerr
C - Kevin Willis

BENCHWARMERS
G - Devin Brown
C - Menke Bateer

T Park Num 9
07-15-2003, 09:42 PM
thats a GD good team there Truth.

That would be IMO the front runner for the Ring.

Dunkel Weizen
07-15-2003, 10:46 PM
Could Brand really play SF? Does he have the skill set?

What about Nesterovic at the 3? I know he has the outside game, but can he move?

Or maybe just stick Duncan, Nesty, and Brand out there and figure you've got enough pieces of all 3 frontcourt positions and the talent and size to kick ass.