PDA

View Full Version : Paper straws are a failure

DeadlyDynasty
06-28-2020, 09:04 AM
It’s not cost-effective, they disintegrate, and they just plain suck.

Spurtacular
06-28-2020, 09:14 AM
The first generation of Costco straws sucked. They were dissolving on the first soda.
I'm sure they got complaints and something changed. They could last an hour or two or more just fine after that. I even liked them.

InRareForm
06-28-2020, 09:59 AM
I hardly see them anymore tbh

DMC
06-28-2020, 03:32 PM
Metal straws with plastic fittings ftw

ElNono
06-28-2020, 05:18 PM
I second this thread... and disagree with DMC, metal straws suck. Nobody wants to wash and reuse. We're lazy and entitled.

MultiTroll
06-28-2020, 05:32 PM
Bamboo straws you entitled resource wasters.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2020, 05:35 PM
Gonna try silicone straws with my next bunker order. Thanks for reminding me. Just been reusing plastic for awhile.

ElNono
06-28-2020, 05:39 PM
These ones look fairly legit and discardable too:

https://www.amazon.com/100-Organic-Grass-Straws-Drinking/dp/B07YFCTL3J

Spurtacular
06-28-2020, 09:15 PM
I second this thread... and disagree with DMC, metal straws suck. Nobody wants to wash and reuse. We're lazy and entitled.

Glass is better. And if you're using a sh** load of plastic straws, you've forfeited your right to white knight it on environmental issues, tbh.

ElNono
06-28-2020, 09:29 PM
Glass is better. And if you're using a sh** load of plastic straws, you've forfeited your right to white knight it on environmental issues, tbh.

Or maybe turtles are not your thing, tbh (being facetious obviously)

DAF86
06-28-2020, 10:58 PM
Why the fuck do yall need straws for?

DJR210
06-29-2020, 12:36 AM
It’s not cost-effective, they disintegrate, and they just plain suck.

This is all true.. South Beach banned plastics and was forced to try them.. Good luck getting the straw to last for the entire 64 oz margarita

SpursforSix
06-29-2020, 09:16 AM

Was about to post the same question. The only reason I can think to actually buy straws is if you’re making smoothies a lot.

Millennial_Messiah
06-29-2020, 10:36 AM

So your teeth don't rot out?

ChumpDumper
06-29-2020, 12:08 PM
Why the fuck do yall need straws for?Uh, drinking stuff. Especially when driving.

Blake
06-29-2020, 04:33 PM

Easier to drink out of the yeti cup.

I got a 12 pack of hard plastic straws with straw cleaner for $3 at HEB. I've used the hell out of them

DAF86
06-29-2020, 05:05 PM
Uh, drinking stuff. Especially when driving.

Drink straight out of the cup, like a fucking adult.

Also, don't drink and drive. Don't do anything while driving. Like a fucking adult.

DAF86
06-29-2020, 05:06 PM
So your teeth don't rot out?

Brush your teeth, like a fucking adult.

ElNono
06-29-2020, 05:07 PM

We're lazy and entitled.

DAF86
06-29-2020, 05:08 PM
Easier to drink out of the yeti cup.

I got a 12 pack of hard plastic straws with straw cleaner for $3 at HEB. I've used the hell out of them

Drink out of regular cups, like a fucking adult.

DAF86
06-29-2020, 05:14 PM

Owning up, like a fucking adult.

Millennial_Messiah
06-29-2020, 05:22 PM

Your mom's a fucking adult. I exceeded her adultly, womanly desires. (Sorry, Larry.)

DAF86
06-29-2020, 05:32 PM
Your mom's a fucking adult. I exceeded her adultly, womanly desires. (Sorry, Larry.)

Ew, my mom is 60.

Blake
06-29-2020, 05:41 PM
Drink out of regular cups, like a fucking adult.

Lol what does that even mean

Millennial_Messiah
06-29-2020, 05:48 PM
Ew, my mom is 60.

Yeah. That's what I tell SFS/ctoa after he pulls a yo-momma joke on me, but he doesn't seem to care.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2020, 05:59 PM
DAF is choosing a weird hill to die on.

DMC
06-29-2020, 06:43 PM

I put them in the dishwasher and use them throughout the week. No problems.

DMC
06-29-2020, 06:45 PM

Ok Boomer

ElNono
06-29-2020, 06:53 PM
I put them in the dishwasher and use them throughout the week. No problems.

I don't want to carry them around, tbh... I'll probably lose them. My biggest beef with paper straws is at the office. Grab a drink in the AM, that shit is all weak and shitty two hours later. I'm conscious to refill my plastic cup :cry for the good of the environment :cry but I don't want to walk to the cafeteria just to get a new straw. That's just bad design.

MultiTroll
06-29-2020, 07:11 PM
What is it you are drinking that you have to have a straw?

SpursforSix
06-29-2020, 07:20 PM
Ew, my mom is 60.

Well, she fucks like she’s 25. Bag that head and ignore the liver spots and I’m a wild buck all over that sacred meat.

SpursforSix
06-29-2020, 07:25 PM
^ that being said, I’m kind of with you on the straw thing. Unless I’m drinking a smoothie or milkshake, I don’t use a straw. Bunch of girlie men on here.

SpursforSix
06-29-2020, 07:26 PM

Filching your mom.

MultiTroll
06-29-2020, 07:58 PM
Filching your mom.
You weren't with my mom.
But you're convincing me you have spent money and gone this route:

https://static.dezeen.com/uploads/2016/10/eight-best-coffins-urns-halloween-death-roundup_dezeen_2364_col_1.jpg

DAF86
06-29-2020, 08:01 PM
Lol what does that even mean

Learn semantics, like a fucking adult.

SpursforSix
06-29-2020, 08:02 PM
You weren't with my mom.
But you're convincing me you have spent money and gone this route:

https://static.dezeen.com/uploads/2016/10/eight-best-coffins-urns-halloween-death-roundup_dezeen_2364_col_1.jpg

I’m not clicking on your link.

But I’m pretty sure I’ve been with your mom. Skinny woman with snaggle teeth. Smells like Parmesan cheese.

DAF86
06-29-2020, 08:03 PM
DAF is choosing a weird hill to die on.

I'm immortal, like a fucking adult.

ElNono
06-29-2020, 08:14 PM

I don't have to have one, but if I take the drink to my office and spill it, I don't want to mess the whole damn carpet, so I get a lid with it, and a straw. I expect that straw to last, and possibly even reuse it if I get a refill.

MultiTroll
06-29-2020, 08:23 PM

But I’m pretty sure I’ve been with your mom. Skinny woman with snaggle teeth. Smells like Parmesan cheese.
Oh you clicked on it alright.

As for your projection, hope your diet and odor improve.

MultiTroll
06-29-2020, 08:25 PM
I don't have to have one, but if I take the drink to my office and spill it, I don't want to mess the whole damn carpet, so I get a lid with it, and a straw. I expect that straw to last, and possibly even reuse it if I get a refill.
Would a sippy cup be suitably macho in your office buildings environment?

Millennial_Messiah
06-29-2020, 08:45 PM

How does a skinny woman pop out an elephant, tbh?

GAustex
06-29-2020, 09:27 PM

Sippy cup for my coffee and my water (actually my Bubba Jug)-no problems.
Need a good coffee mug like a Yeti so the coffee can make it to noon.

Blake
06-29-2020, 10:10 PM

Do you guys really not drink in the car?

ElNono
06-29-2020, 10:11 PM
Would a sippy cup be suitably macho in your office buildings environment?

Sippy cup for my coffee and my water (actually my Bubba Jug)-no problems.
Need a good coffee mug like a Yeti so the coffee can make it to noon.

Do you guys drink a coke zero from a sippy cup? awkward...

We have those Mars Flavia Barista machines for coffee (and nobody I know drinks coffee with straws), so that's not an issue, tbh

Blake
06-29-2020, 10:17 PM
Do you guys drink a coke zero from a sippy cup? awkward...

We have those Mars Flavia Barista machines for coffee (and nobody I know drinks coffee with straws), so that's now an issue, tbh

Pfftt what kind of girly sissy pussy gets a straw/lid for their super mega big gulp. If you can't drink it lidless while driving you don't deserve to have it

ElNono
06-29-2020, 10:25 PM
Pfftt what kind of girly sissy pussy gets a straw/lid for their super mega big gulp. If you can't drink it lidless while driving you don't deserve to have it

Sorry, I don't speak poor. What's a super mega big gulp?

Blake
06-29-2020, 10:38 PM

It's a 187oz soda for $.23 at 7-11.

ElNono
06-29-2020, 10:43 PM
It's a 187oz soda for $.23 at 7-11.

shit... beetus with a straw

DAF86
06-30-2020, 01:13 AM
My girlfriend uses one of these to go to the gym:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/UlWWHjhIfV8/maxresdefault.jpg

spurraider21
06-30-2020, 01:06 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ish8NBunrQU

Blake
06-30-2020, 01:14 PM
My girlfriend uses one of these to go to the gym:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/UlWWHjhIfV8/maxresdefault.jpg

What do you use

DAF86
06-30-2020, 08:21 PM
What do you use

Glasses, like a fucking adult.

Xevious
06-30-2020, 08:51 PM
When we went to Disney World last they had switched to all paper straws. I agree, they suck. I'd rather just not use one.

Blake
06-30-2020, 09:02 PM
Glasses, like a fucking adult.

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/kid-drinking-milk-glass-girl-37904884.jpg

DAF86
06-30-2020, 09:09 PM
Seriously now, there's no real need for straws sons. I understand compromising the environment for real needs like oil, but for fucking straws? C'mon folks, stop fucking around.

ElNono
07-01-2020, 01:57 PM
There's a million more non-essential-but-functional items out there, if you're gonna have a tantrum about them. Get rid of Kleenex and Paper towels first, then we'll negotiate straws, tbh.

Blake
07-01-2020, 02:58 PM
There's a million more non-essential-but-functional items out there, if you're gonna have a tantrum about them. Get rid of Kleenex and Paper towels first, then we'll negotiate straws, tbh.

Shit, the biggest worst culprit right now is grocery store plastic bags

DAF86
07-01-2020, 05:17 PM

Don't use any of them either, tbh. However, Kleenex are a lot more useful and sanitary than fucking plastic straws, tbh. :lol

DAF86
07-01-2020, 05:20 PM
Shit, the biggest worst culprit right now is grocery store plastic bags

Do you still use plastc bags? We switched to cloth ones years ago.

Blake
07-01-2020, 05:53 PM
Do you still use plastc bags? We switched to cloth ones years ago.

Yeah me too but in Texas whenever a municipality has tried to ban them, Big Plastic Bag and Big Merchant lobbyists invade Austin and have it shot down. Texas politicians really blow.

KobesAchilles
07-01-2020, 06:14 PM
Cheesecake Factory uses those shitty paper straws. They also have really shitty food. I’m not saying there’s a correlation but it’s just one more reason why I hate that place.

We got the cloth bags too but about a quarter of the time my dumbass leaves them in the backseat of my car

ElNono
07-01-2020, 11:33 PM
Don't use any of them either, tbh. However, Kleenex are a lot more useful and sanitary than fucking plastic straws, tbh. :lol

You're :cry killing the trees :cry to blow your nose when you could easily re-use a handkerchief... paper towels pretty much the same thing.

Blake
07-02-2020, 12:19 AM
Cheesecake Factory uses those shitty paper straws. They also have really shitty food. I’m not saying there’s a correlation but it’s just one more reason why I hate that place.

We got the cloth bags too but about a quarter of the time my dumbass leaves them in the backseat of my car

No kidding about cheesecake factory. I really don't get the fascination with that place.

DAF86
07-02-2020, 02:40 AM
You're :cry killing the trees :cry to blow your nose when you could easily re-use a handkerchief... paper towels pretty much the same thing.

Fuck handkerchiefs, tbh. Dirty ass invention. Water and hands, then you wash them good. That's the way to go, tbh.

ElNono
07-02-2020, 03:52 AM
Fuck handkerchiefs, tbh. Dirty ass invention. Water and hands, then you wash them good. That's the way to go, tbh.

:cry why do you hate mother nature :cry? Go hug a tree and repent...

Blake
07-02-2020, 09:18 AM

You blow your nose into your hands?

SpursforSix
07-02-2020, 12:13 PM

Fuck that. The real conundrum is how to wipe your butt with a straw.

SpursforSix
07-02-2020, 12:19 PM
No kidding about cheesecake factory. I really don't get the fascination with that place.

It's probably like any other restaurant that blew up. At one point, the food was probably excellent and then once they scaled up, everything needed to be streamlined. I don't know.
We go maybe once a year and get the Sweet Corn Tamale Cakes, a couple of salads, and cheesecake. It's better than average for a chain restaurant imo.

DAF86
07-02-2020, 09:10 PM

Yeah, with water. I also use a bidet. We are more advanced than you in terms of personal hygiene, tbh.

Blake
07-02-2020, 09:16 PM
Yeah, with water. I also use a bidet. We are more advanced than you in terms of personal hygiene, tbh.

Do you carry water around with you?

DAF86
07-02-2020, 09:28 PM
Do you carry water around with you?

No, but we have bathrooms here, tbh.

Millennial_Messiah
07-02-2020, 10:26 PM

:lol Bidet? Where do you live?

DAF86
07-02-2020, 10:29 PM
:lol Bidet? Where do you live?

Argentina. If you don't use a bidet after every shit, you are doing ass cleaning wrong, tbh. It is not even up for debate, tbh.

Millennial_Messiah
07-02-2020, 10:34 PM
Argentina. If you don't use a bidet after every shit, you are doing ass cleaning wrong, tbh. It is not even up for debate, tbh.

I would have guessed somewhere in Europe. Surprising Argentina even has plumbing, I thought they used the river/lake/creek whenever they needed to take a dump, tbh.

I've never used a bidet, but I also don't just wipe and stick my pants back on and think I'm good. I use the shower to power wash my ass after every time I shit.

DAF86
07-02-2020, 10:42 PM
I would have guessed somewhere in Europe. Surprising Argentina even has plumbing, I thought they used the river/lake/creek whenever they needed to take a dump, tbh.

I've never used a bidet, but I also don't just wipe and stick my pants back on and think I'm good. I use the shower to power wash my ass after every time I shit.

Dude, don't say that shit. That's why people all around the globe then think that you are all a bunch of ignorants, tbh. :lol

Millennial_Messiah
07-03-2020, 10:11 AM
Dude, don't say that shit. That's why people all around the globe then think that you are all a bunch of ignorants, tbh. :lol

So you're a native Argentinian? If so, I'm guessing you started following the Spurs because of Manu? How'd you get into American football when futbol is the national sport, tbh?

leemajors
07-03-2020, 10:21 AM
No reason not to have a bidet these days, you can pick up one off amazon for $40.

Millennial_Messiah
07-03-2020, 10:23 AM
No reason not to have a bidet these days, you can pick up one off amazon for $40.

we don't have the plumbing in america for that... plumbing expenses would run in the hundreds at minimum, and most contractors in the US aren't experienced with installing the plumbing for them to begin with

leemajors
07-03-2020, 10:37 AM
we don't have the plumbing in america for that... plumbing expenses would run in the hundreds at minimum, and most contractors in the US aren't experienced with installing the plumbing for them to begin with

You're an idiot, they take 10 minutes to install.

DMC
07-03-2020, 11:05 AM

Hard to find a good one though. They required tapping into your water source at the rear of the toilet, and that leads to water leaks because the water pressure in your home often will overcome the shutoff valve of the bidet. You need a pressure regulator AFTER the tee, prior to the shutoff valve else you'll have water damage on your floors. The ones that attach to the toilet seat are shit (no pun intended).

In Europe they have them built in, normally, or a hand sprayer with a mixer valve for temp control. Trying to get that here is like finding hen's teeth. I cannot believe in this day and age people are still wiping with paper and not washing shit from their skin.

Millennial_Messiah
07-03-2020, 12:38 PM
You're an idiot, they take 10 minutes to install.

Hard to find a good one though. They required tapping into your water source at the rear of the toilet, and that leads to water leaks because the water pressure in your home often will overcome the shutoff valve of the bidet. You need a pressure regulator AFTER the tee, prior to the shutoff valve else you'll have water damage on your floors. The ones that attach to the toilet seat are shit (no pun intended).

In Europe they have them built in, normally, or a hand sprayer with a mixer valve for temp control. Trying to get that here is like finding hen's teeth. I cannot believe in this day and age people are still wiping with paper and not washing shit from their skin.

Yeah, not everyone is a DIY plumber or a plumber by trade. Most of us have to hire experienced folks. I'm useless when it comes to indoor DIY work.

leemajors
07-03-2020, 01:07 PM

I've had one from Hello Tushy since 2016, and moved twice. Still works great.

DAF86
07-03-2020, 06:25 PM
So you're a native Argentinian? If so, I'm guessing you started following the Spurs because of Manu? How'd you get into American football when futbol is the national sport, tbh?

I first rooted for the Spurs when Jordan retired his second time and saw Elliott hit that Memorial day miracle shot. Then I became an Iverson fan for a while, and then yes, a Spurs fan for life because of Manu and ST.

NFL fan? Just because I like it, tbh. I don't have a team though. First I was a McNair fan, then a Michael Vick one, then Vince Young and Tebow for a second :lol. And now Mahomes and Lamar. I like mobile QB's, tbh.

Millennial_Messiah
07-04-2020, 10:34 AM
I first rooted for the Spurs when Jordan retired his second time and saw Elliott hit that Memorial day miracle shot. Then I became an Iverson fan for a while, and then yes, a Spurs fan for life because of Manu and ST.

NFL fan? Just because I like it, tbh. I don't have a team though. First I was a McNair fan, then a Michael Vick one, then Vince Young and Tebow for a second :lol. And now Mahomes and Lamar. I like mobile QB's, tbh.
Understandable. I wouldn't classify Mahomes as a mobile QB, though, certainly not in the context of Jackson.

SpursforSix
07-04-2020, 03:19 PM
I actually have a stand-up bidet. It’s cool because I can also wash my hair and body in it.

Spurtacular
07-06-2020, 07:47 AM

I actually rooted for Air McNair when he was NCAA Division II if you can believe that. It was a shock to the system when I heard he was murdered. Worse than coming a yard short of the Super Bowl ring.