PDA

View Full Version : China approves national security law for Hong Kong against threats of U.S. retaliation

ElNono
06-29-2020, 11:10 PM
China approves national security law for Hong Kong against threats of U.S. retaliation

SINGAPORE —

China approved a sweeping new national security law for Hong Kong Tuesday aimed at stifling dissent in a city where millions protested the past year demanding greater autonomy from Beijing.

The law drastically changes the complexion of Hong Kong society, which has long enjoyed special freedoms absent from the mainland that for decades have contributed to the city’s status as a global financial hub.

The unanimous passage of the law by China’s top legislature plunges Beijing’s relationship with other major powers into deeper uncertainty. In just the past few months, China has taken a more confrontational stance with the United States, Taiwan, India and Australia.

In anticipation of the law’s passage, U.S. Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo announced Monday the the U.S. would restrict exports of defense equipment to Hong Kong: “The Chinese Communist Party’s decision to eviscerate Hong Kong’s freedoms has forced the Trump Administration to re-evaluate its policies toward the territory,” Pompeo said in a statement.

Hong Kongers fear the law will erode many of the freedoms they’ve been accustomed to for generations, including the right to assembly, speech and an independent media. The move, though expected, was still startling and comes at a time when the Communist Party is determined to bring the semiautonomous city more tightly into Beijing’s orbit.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-06-29/hong-kong-national-security-law

velik_m
06-29-2020, 11:57 PM
:( Expected, but still sad day for democracy.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2020, 11:58 PM
And we're not in a position to do anything about it.

redzero
06-30-2020, 12:05 AM
I'm just waiting for Corporation™ to tell me how to feel about it.

ElNono
06-30-2020, 12:08 AM

Don't think the UK is either... just pathetic stuff all around.

Spurtacular
06-30-2020, 03:26 AM

What would Hillary have done?

Ef-man
06-30-2020, 09:07 PM

And what would Trump have done if he were not busy golfing, hiding in bunker, holding rallies, not reading intelligence reports, or cutting back on covid testing?

pgardn
06-30-2020, 09:41 PM
What would Hillary have done?

Oh obviously sent troops.
WWIII

We have no human rights issues to stand on you big faggot because we have shown the world we dont care a bit about human rights.
We want out, every country for itself. MAGA.... Yeah thats going peachy, we look and feel so great under this orange clown.

Spurtacular
06-30-2020, 09:54 PM
Oh obviously sent troops.
WWIII

We have no human rights issues to stand on you big faggot because we have shown the world we dont care a bit about human rights.
We want out, every country for itself. MAGA.... Yeah thats going peachy, we look and feel so great under this orange clown.

Okay, if you're done lashing out, tell us for real what you think she would've done differently.

baseline bum
06-30-2020, 09:57 PM
And what would Trump have done if he were not busy golfing, hiding in bunker, holding rallies, not reading intelligence reports, or cutting back on covid testing?

Probably fucked his daughter some more

pgardn
06-30-2020, 09:59 PM
Okay, if you're done lashing out, tell us for real what you think she would've done differently.

Had enough human rights standing to say we will discuss this and we will not observe Hong Kong as a full state of China.
We recognize the original position the British first set up.
Send a ship with goods and articles they feel are needed as decreed by the original agreement.

Why do you think Taiwan is still basically independent from China, how is this done? Do you have a clue?
China could take Taiwan if they wanted why dont they?

DMC
06-30-2020, 10:05 PM
Good, fuck them.

Spurtacular
06-30-2020, 10:12 PM
Had enough human rights standing to say we will discuss this and we will not observe Hong Kong as a full state of China.
Send a ship with goods and articles they feel are needed as decreed by the original agreement.

Why do you think Taiwan is still basically independent from China, how is this done? Do you have a clue?

The original position set up was that Hong Kong goes back to China in 1996.

Go ahead and tell us why Taiwan is "independent" of China.

DMC
06-30-2020, 10:14 PM

You probably created a very specific part of Taiwan that shall henceforth go unmentioned, because you're the creator.

pgardn
06-30-2020, 10:16 PM
The original position set up was that Hong Kong goes back to China in 1996.

Go ahead and tell us why Taiwan is "independent" of China.

With their own government.
We could push very hard on this with help from allies.
Its not gonna happen because fck everybody I still have my coffee in the morning.

Do you think Taiwan should mail it in as well?

pgardn
06-30-2020, 10:17 PM
You probably created a very specific part of Taiwan that shall henceforth go unmentioned, because you're the creator.m

Scotch anyone?

pgardn
06-30-2020, 10:28 PM
I wonder how editing Time Magazine is going for DMDrunk.

Spurtacular
06-30-2020, 11:32 PM
With their own government.

No. You're confusing that with whatever compromises may have happened post 1996.

pgardn
07-01-2020, 09:31 AM
No. You're confusing that with whatever compromises may have happened post 1996.

no you just don’t get it

Look up one country two systems set to expire in 2047

hater
07-01-2020, 09:57 AM

:lmao calling Hong Kong rioters democracy advocates

hater
07-01-2020, 09:58 AM
Good, fuck them.

They probably said the same thing when Trump unleashed the military on peaceful Americans in DC

And they will say the same when we reach 100k infections a day tbqh

pgardn
07-01-2020, 10:00 AM
:lmao calling Hong Kong rioters democracy advocates

this and Covid definitely gave the Chinese good excuses to come in and take over

Spurtacular
07-01-2020, 10:02 AM
no you just don’t get it

Look up one country two systems set to expire in 2047

Then that's the extension. You said the original deal. It expired in 1996, bruh.

RandomGuy
07-01-2020, 10:57 AM

eyup. This was inevitable the day the British handed it over. I expect a lot of capital, both monetary and human to hit the lifeboats.

pgardn
07-01-2020, 10:58 AM
Then that's the extension. You said the original deal. It expired in 1996, bruh.

They go together bruh.
If the Chinese say fck the extension, then we say okay, Hong KOng is autonomous Bruh.
We treat them as we would Taiwan. The Chinese would not touch them. But that is definitely a dangerous move now because we are in an extremely weak position internationally. We might not even get help from GB.

RandomGuy
07-01-2020, 10:59 AM

Too bad Trump couldn't be bothered to put his golf clubs down long enough to do anything. :lol white power tweet

Spurtacular
07-01-2020, 11:04 AM
They go together bruh.

An original is an original. An extension is an extension
Basic terminology, dude.

pgardn
07-01-2020, 11:11 AM
An original is an original. An extension is an extension
Basic terminology, dude.

Read my statement again.
If they terminate the extension, we terminate the initial. One was supposed to lead into the other so as to create a smooth transition. They do relate to each other dude. This is very common in international agreements.

Dude.

Spurtacular
07-01-2020, 11:21 AM
Read my statement again.
If they terminate the extension, we terminate the initial. One was supposed to lead into the other so as to create a smooth transition. They do relate to each other dude. This is very common in international agreements.

Dude.

Accept your fail.

https://cdn1.vectorstock.com/i/thumb-large/01/95/red-check-mark-sign-addition-icon-vector-13230195.jpg

DMC
07-01-2020, 12:48 PM
They probably said the same thing when Trump unleashed the military on peaceful Americans in DC

And they will say the same when we reach 100k infections a day tbqh

They say it already every time they fuck us over with sending us shitty stuff, selling shity test kits and trying to crush the fucking market everywhere with their cheap-ass labor.

ElNono
07-01-2020, 01:33 PM
The disheartening thing about this, IMVHO, is that this is indeed that one time where there's no doubt whatsoever that democracy and freedom is getting destroyed.

The US has intervened and frankly, obliterated, other countries under much more controversial and flimsy excuses (and by this I don't necessarily mean an armed conflict involving NATO is warranted, but simply singling out the hypocrisy here).

I suppose Honk Kong just doesn't have oil and/or is not an ally of Israel, tbh...

pgardn
07-01-2020, 02:33 PM
Accept your fail.

https://cdn1.vectorstock.com/i/thumb-large/01/95/red-check-mark-sign-addition-icon-vector-13230195.jpg

the only thing in this discussion to accept is that you are a knucklehead.

pgardn
07-01-2020, 02:38 PM
The disheartening thing about this, IMVHO, is that this is indeed that one time where there's no doubt whatsoever that democracy and freedom is getting destroyed.

The US has intervened and frankly, obliterated, other countries under much more controversial and flimsy excuses (and by this I don't necessarily mean an armed conflict involving NATO is warranted, but simply singling out the hypocrisy here).

I suppose Honk Kong just doesn't have oil and/or is not an ally of Israel, tbh...

With the some of the demonstrations going overboard, and especially getting raked by the virus, HK really does not have much of a chance unless we really stepped up and showed we meant it. Not gonna happen with the current admin. No backing from any other country with the orange guy in power. I would not be surprised if the current business types and students that lead the HK resistance against Chinese interference just tell us to go fck ourselves even if we did offer help. We are not exactly a glowing beacon of democracy currently.

diego
07-01-2020, 04:16 PM

I agree with what you're saying but I think it's important to note that the Brits only started democratic reform in the mid eighties once negotiations to return HK were underway and really only to create this conflict with China, before then they were happy to segregate, gerrymander, censor press, restrict assembly, appoint officials, etc, and the west was happy to go along. So while I agree that peoples rights are being trampled, I don't think it's especially different from whats happened there the past 200 years or even what goes on most places. Political and economic elite uses police to repress, cheat to keep and expand their power, while the large lower class feels unrepresented and taken advantage of by the political and economic elite.. but because it's COMMUNIST CHINA we have to have extra outrage apparently.
The only influence the us could have had in this matter was to set the example and win the moral high ground, but that ship sailed a long time ago. Hong Kong is not an independent country and has never been.

ElNono
07-01-2020, 10:20 PM
I agree with what you're saying but I think it's important to note that the Brits only started democratic reform in the mid eighties once negotiations to return HK were underway and really only to create this conflict with China, before then they were happy to segregate, gerrymander, censor press, restrict assembly, appoint officials, etc, and the west was happy to go along. So while I agree that peoples rights are being trampled, I don't think it's especially different from whats happened there the past 200 years or even what goes on most places. Political and economic elite uses police to repress, cheat to keep and expand their power, while the large lower class feels unrepresented and taken advantage of by the political and economic elite.. but because it's COMMUNIST CHINA we have to have extra outrage apparently.
The only influence the us could have had in this matter was to set the example and win the moral high ground, but that ship sailed a long time ago. Hong Kong is not an independent country and has never been.

Fair points.

Millennial_Messiah
07-01-2020, 10:28 PM
They go together bruh.
If the Chinese say fck the extension, then we say okay, Hong KOng is autonomous Bruh.
We treat them as we would Taiwan. The Chinese would not touch them. But that is definitely a dangerous move now because we are in an extremely weak position internationally. We might not even get help from GB.

I say, Drop twin H-Bombs in the middle of the (East Asian) night, on July 4th U.S. time. One lovely dose of mushroom plutonium for each of Beijing and Pyongyang.

There will never be a greater "Proud To Be An American" moment. :toast

spurraider21
07-01-2020, 10:34 PM
extra ironic since the extent of china's communism has been mostly nominal in recent decades