PDA

View Full Version : Woj: Sense Is Spurs Utilize 8 Games As Developmental; Walker At Forefront

TD 21
07-02-2020, 05:25 PM
Starts just after the 7 minute mark on his latest podcast. That's about it for the extent of the Spurs talk.

Good news and an obvious decision . . . which is why it was in peril.

ace3g
07-02-2020, 05:56 PM
Starts just after the 7 minute mark on his latest podcast. That's about it for the extent of the Spurs talk.

Good news and an obvious decision . . . which is why it was in peril.

Thanks for the info.

7:11 mark (link to WojPod)

https://dcs.megaphone.fm/ESP7204557021.mp3?key=4fe1c4fa4a1080253b7f2fa13359 60fd

playblair
07-02-2020, 06:44 PM
if thats true becky should be coaching not popovich

TimDunkem
07-02-2020, 06:52 PM
if thats true becky should be coaching not popovich

Uh no. Poop is playing God and will only allow Becky to make that leap when HE thinks she's ready and no sooner.

FkLA
07-02-2020, 07:01 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. Brent Forms needs to continue getting his minutes to reach his tremendous potential.

itzsoweezee
07-02-2020, 08:42 PM
This just means Forbes is going from the number 3 option to number 2

widowmaker
07-02-2020, 09:00 PM
Summer league in a “season”. I hope lebron catches covid mid way through.

widowmaker
07-02-2020, 09:01 PM
Cry baby

Chinook
07-02-2020, 09:03 PM
The Spurs have every chance to make the playoffs and should go for it above all else. It just helps that playing Walker is the best way to go about doing that. Walker should start, and Johnson should get a ton of minutes. Eubanks should get some minutes to since he's expiring, but I'm not uber hopeful about his future value. I'd only start playing Samanic if the team gets eliminated, and Metu not at all.

alpha_HaZE
07-03-2020, 01:16 AM
Uh no. Poop is playing God and will only allow Becky to make that leap when HE thinks she's ready and no sooner.

If you had to take a guess, you genius, who knows the Spurs system better Timmy or Becky???? Timmy of course, he is the obvious choice not Becky.

alpha_HaZE
07-03-2020, 01:49 AM
The Spurs have every chance to make the playoffs and should go for it above all else. It just helps that playing Walker is the best way to go about doing that. Walker should start, and Johnson should get a ton of minutes. Eubanks should get some minutes to since he's expiring, but I'm not uber hopeful about his future value. I'd only start playing Samanic if the team gets eliminated, and Metu not at all.

Only way I see us making the playoffs is if those five playoffs teams we face are not playing their starters as much and are taking it easy on us, in which case we probably have to beat 1 of the following three; Kings, MEM, and Pels, to go 6-2 and have legit chances for 9th.

But I 100% agree that our best bet is playing Walker and our young players; Trey; Jakob, Derrick and Dejounte should all see more minutes. Probably Keldon too especially if we start 2-2, or 1-3.

Trey for example, scores significantly more points in games that LA sits. And Jacob when given the chance scores with high efficiency near the basket, he also screens well and helps guys like Lonnie attack the basket.

I was looking and this season's DJ's stats and compares favourably with George Hill in the same age. Hill is shorter but they have almost the same wingspan, Hill was 10 pounds heavier. Of course, DJ is the superior rebounder. Georgie scores with higher efficiency mostly because he was pretty good at attaching the rim, and DJ struggles in that area. But is not by much. The rest of the STATS are almost identical with a few minor differences. Without LA there should be more open paths to the basket and hopefully DJ has added some muscle.

And, like Brad Stevens said, we are treating it as a new season, and if that's the case; all of our youngsters should be one year better right?

tim_duncan_fan
07-03-2020, 02:09 AM
If you had to take a guess, you genius, who knows the Spurs system better Timmy or Becky???? Timmy of course, he is the obvious choice not Becky.

Who says Tim is actually serious about coaching and not just hanging out?

R. DeMurre
07-03-2020, 06:39 AM
I think the most dramatic daily event in the 8 games and the playoffs will be the announcements of which players have most recently tested positive for Covid... Championship favorites and odds could change daily depending on who gets sick, and the combination of close contact and Florida just being Florida will guarantee a steady stream of new cases. From day to day, the positive cases will be the big story, followed by the rush to count down the quarantine days after positive cases test negative again. What, for example, are the odds no one tests positive during the best of seven quarterfinal, semifinal, and championship rounds? I can see a Lakers/Bucks finals where Lebron is out after game 1, Giannis is out after game 2, and game 5 features multiple guys who haven't started for either team all season.

R. DeMurre
07-03-2020, 06:53 AM
Barring major injuries to stars, I'm generally not a fan of the asterisk debate in the NBA, but if Games 6 and 7 of the finals are characterized by Pat Connaughton and Marvin Williams outdueling Alex Caruso and Jared Dudley, it'll be hard to take it too seriously.

MultiTroll
07-03-2020, 09:46 AM
Tell Pop he'll be viewed as super woke and add to his social legacy if he stays home to avoid Covid while aiding the protesters movement.

Worth a shot. :lol

MultiTroll
07-03-2020, 09:52 AM
WTF does WOJ mean by "my sense is"?

is his "sense" from talking to players coaches and executives and them telling him shit 'off the record' or is it just PURE speculation based on "reasons"

Can he tell me was his sense is on lotto numbers...

I'm really WTF?
:lol todays sports media

spurspl
07-03-2020, 11:54 AM
i wish i could see a s5: murray/loonie/keldon/samanic/poeltl

talkspurs
07-03-2020, 12:05 PM
i wish i could see a s5: murray/loonie/keldon/samanic/poeltl

I would like to see that 5 or put Metu in for Luka either way would be good. Would still like to see Luka gets lots of PT but I think he is further behind Metu in development.

R. DeMurre
07-03-2020, 12:25 PM
DeRozan deciding to join the ranks of those not participating would be the best thing for White, Murray, Lonnie, and Keldon.

TD 21
07-03-2020, 03:26 PM

Seriously?

DeRozan deciding to join the ranks of those not participating would be the best thing for White, Murray, Lonnie, and Keldon.

He'll probably go and after they're pretty much officially eliminated in short order and really turn it into a glorified summer league, with his minutes cut or even asked to sit out entirely, probably pout and maybe even go so far as to leave the team.

I wouldn't care except for the reality that it could push him to opt out and leave for nothing. In this scenario, the Pistons loom.

murpjf88
07-03-2020, 04:48 PM
He'll probably go and after they're pretty much officially eliminated in short order and really turn it into a glorified summer league, with his minutes cut or even asked to sit out entirely, probably pout and maybe even go so far as to leave the team.

I wouldn't care except for the reality that it could push him to opt out and leave for nothing. In this scenario, the Pistons loom.

Getting DeRozan's contract off the books should be the agenda. This toothless player is only here because Pop didn't want to rebuild in his final coaching days. Unfortunately for him, he's been forced to do it anyways. DD would net the Spurs a big fat nothing on the market with a year left on his contract before hitting free agency. Opting out would be the best thing to happen to the Spurs since Otto Frederick Rohwedder invented sliced bread.

TD 21
07-04-2020, 03:20 PM
Getting DeRozan's contract off the books should be the agenda. This toothless player is only here because Pop didn't want to rebuild in his final coaching days. Unfortunately for him, he's been forced to do it anyways. DD would net the Spurs a big fat nothing on the market with a year left on his contract before hitting free agency. Opting out would be the best thing to happen to the Spurs since Otto Frederick Rohwedder invented sliced bread.

Nah, extracting a modicum of value in return for him should be the agenda. This is the last franchise that can afford to be giving away more assets.

He'll have a narrow market and any team trading for him would more than likely do so either with an extension as a contingency or with the understanding that there's a good chance of his re-signing.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-05-2020, 11:50 AM
Let's hope Forbes isn't part of the future, but yeah, that's about the best we could hope for with this ragtag bunch.

baseline bum
07-05-2020, 12:40 PM
Nah, extracting a modicum of value in return for him should be the agenda. This is the last franchise that can afford to be giving away more assets.

He'll have a narrow market and any team trading for him would more than likely do so either with an extension as a contingency or with the understanding that there's a good chance of his re-signing.

What do you expect to get for DeRozan? I doubt there will be much of anything offered other than bad contracts teams want to get out of. Unless the Spurs can land a half-decent first round pick I'd prefer letting him walk for nothing.

TimDunkem
07-05-2020, 12:58 PM
Whatever you do, try to get a 1st rounder for DeRozan. Letting him walk for nothing would be the last resort.

talkspurs
07-05-2020, 01:26 PM
Whatever you do, try to get a 1st rounder for DeRozan. Letting him walk for nothing would be the last resort.

I would much rather let him walk then have him on the team another year. He controls this but I doubt we can get much for him in a trade.

itzsoweezee
07-05-2020, 02:37 PM

Addition by subtraction. Don't let the door hit you on the way out

TimDunkem
07-05-2020, 02:43 PM
Agreed he needs to go. It would be a shame if you got absolutely nothing back, but they need to if it comes to that.

gambit1990
07-05-2020, 02:51 PM
i honestly don't see a big market for demar... he showed who he is in TOR.

maybe masai would be interested? off the top of my head, i think just... TOR, DET, NYK would have some interest in demar.

TD 21
07-05-2020, 03:28 PM
What do you expect to get for DeRozan? I doubt there will be much of anything offered other than bad contracts teams want to get out of. Unless the Spurs can land a half-decent first round pick I'd prefer letting him walk for nothing.

If he opts in or out but works with them on a sign and trade, I suspect they'll push to pull off a trade like the one with the Pistons I proposed (DeRozan, White, 11 for 5 and Kennard), because that's probably the only way they're going to get marked value.

On his own, he probably fetches possible salary filler plus 1-2 of: decent young veteran, heavily protected 1st (the convoluted type that could convert to 2 2nds if not conveyed by whenever), or C prospect verging on bust.

exstatic
07-05-2020, 04:04 PM
If he opts in or out but works with them on a sign and trade, I suspect they'll push to pull off a trade like the one with the Pistons I proposed (DeRozan, White, 11 for 5 and Kennard), because that's probably the only way they're going to get marked value.

On his own, he probably fetches possible salary filler plus 1-2 of: decent young veteran, heavily protected 1st (the convoluted type that could convert to 2 2nds if not conveyed by whenever), or C prospect verging on bust.
I don’t want any of that, and I don’t want to ship out any of our young players just to get rid of him. The Kawhi trade was never going to be a success. At that point, LMA and DD were nothing more than a bridge to the future. We’ve crossed that bridge, and it’s time to let DD walk, and play the young players. No point in turning this into a g-league player to be named later in a few more iterations, as the returns get worse and worse.

TD 21
07-05-2020, 04:35 PM
I don’t want any of that, and I don’t want to ship out any of our young players just to get rid of him. The Kawhi trade was never going to be a success. At that point, LMA and DD were nothing more than a bridge to the future. We’ve crossed that bridge, and it’s time to let DD walk, and play the young players. No point in turning this into a g-league player to be named later in a few more iterations, as the returns get worse and worse.

Such short sighted thinking. How do you know one of those things doesn't become something worthwhile? Or become part of another trade down the line for something worthwhile? Or frees them up to move a piece they otherwise would have been reticent to for something worthwhile?

This organization needs to be in asset collection mode, taking baby steps, trying to hit as many singles as they can.

If push comes to shove, they can't afford to turn down any potential assets, no matter how minimal they are.

talkspurs
07-05-2020, 05:09 PM
Such short sighted thinking. How do you know one of those things doesn't become something worthwhile? Or become part of another trade down the line for something worthwhile? Or frees them up to move a piece they otherwise would have been reticent to for something worthwhile?

This organization needs to be in asset collection mode, taking baby steps, trying to hit as many singles as they can.

If push comes to shove, they can't afford to turn down any potential assets, no matter how minimal they are.

How do you know the player we sign does not be come great or any of those other things you listed? If it is a 2nd then he is almost a FA that we could find now. If it is a FA that is on the way out then he would be taking a spot on the roster. Having the extra spot/money can also be considered an asset.

TD 21
07-05-2020, 05:51 PM
How do you know the player we sign does not be come great or any of those other things you listed? If it is a 2nd then he is almost a FA that we could find now. If it is a FA that is on the way out then he would be taking a spot on the roster. Having the extra spot/money can also be considered an asset.

Good, young assets generally come via the draft or trade. Sure, you'll see the odd Dinwiddie, Harris, etc. signed and go on to become an asset, but it's rare.

The extra money is irrelevant. They have plenty of cap space going forward, no superstar/star is signing here and they're too senile to use the room as a dumping ground for dead money to collect extra picks.

Extra spot, also irrelevant. If need be, they can always cut loose some fringe player, like Metu.

R. DeMurre
07-05-2020, 06:08 PM
I would still trade DeRozan for Batum. Yes, Batum has a ton of shortcomings at this point, but I still think a 6'8" guy who plays a little bit of D, shoots the three, and would be happy as a reserve would be an improvement over a guy who needs to star with tons of minutes and takes away development time from White, Murray, and Walker. It's addition by subtraction, plus a 15 mpg role player. Maybe Charlotte throws in something else, like a second rounder.

tbdog
07-05-2020, 06:27 PM
I want Hield. He is not happy in Sacramento.

talkspurs
07-05-2020, 07:23 PM
Good, young assets generally come via the draft or trade. Sure, you'll see the odd Dinwiddie, Harris, etc. signed and go on to become an asset, but it's rare.

The extra money is irrelevant. They have plenty of cap space going forward, no superstar/star is signing here and they're too senile to use the room as a dumping ground for dead money to collect extra picks.

Extra spot, also irrelevant. If need be, they can always cut loose some fringe player, like Metu.

Both players you listed were actually drafted. They were drafted in the second round. When you get that though you also usually get a bad contract with it. Unless a team can absorb his salary in cap room they also have to send someone back. this takes a spot and money. A second rd draft pick is not much higher odd of finding someone the finding someone on FA.

Extra cap space can be used to facilitate other dates and get asset back from those trades so money can be relevent. I think ATL, Bklyn and bostn have done this.

You down play metu. I understand what you are saying here but Metu should be getting PT. Also what im talking about is picking up a flyer that turns into someone . I not talking about getting someone off of buyout. these players would not replace someone but could fill an empty spot.

TD 21
07-05-2020, 11:58 PM
Both players you listed were actually drafted. They were drafted in the second round. When you get that though you also usually get a bad contract with it. Unless a team can absorb his salary in cap room they also have to send someone back. this takes a spot and money. A second rd draft pick is not much higher odd of finding someone the finding someone on FA.

Extra cap space can be used to facilitate other dates and get asset back from those trades so money can be relevent. I think ATL, Bklyn and bostn have done this.

You down play metu. I understand what you are saying here but Metu should be getting PT. Also what im talking about is picking up a flyer that turns into someone . I not talking about getting someone off of buyout. these players would not replace someone but could fill an empty spot.

I meant when they got to the Nets.

I don't foresee the Spurs making any trade involving DeRozan where they take back a bad contract.

Again, when I see the Spurs absorb dead money into cap space to collect more picks, I'll believe it.

Metu was just an example of the type of minimal fringe player type that always gets traded/waived if need be to create roster space in trades.

talkspurs
07-06-2020, 05:33 PM
I meant when they got to the Nets.

I don't foresee the Spurs making any trade involving DeRozan where they take back a bad contract.

Again, when I see the Spurs absorb dead money into cap space to collect more picks, I'll believe it.

Metu was just an example of the type of minimal fringe player type that always gets traded/waived if need be to create roster space in trades.

I would say there are probably more players in the NBA that got pick up with a new team or went undrafted then were drafted in late first or second round.

Why would someone give us a good player for him. If it is just a pick they have to have cap room to absorb DDr contract.

The Spurs usually dont have money. Dont think they will have much even if he leaves but until they have room it is hard to know if they would do that or not.

TD 21
07-06-2020, 11:45 PM
I would say there are probably more players in the NBA that got pick up with a new team or went undrafted then were drafted in late first or second round.

Why would someone give us a good player for him. If it is just a pick they have to have cap room to absorb DDr contract.

The Spurs usually dont have money. Dont think they will have much even if he leaves but until they have room it is hard to know if they would do that or not.

So you don't want the possibility of finding a diamond in the rough just because of the unlikelihood of doing so . . . meanwhile, there's no downside to going this route.

Someone will give something of decent value, but as I've said, the best chance to receive marked value is to combine him with other asset(s).

tmtcsc
07-06-2020, 11:57 PM
Who says Tim is actually serious about coaching and not just hanging out?

Same could be said for the roster and if they are serious about playing. I don't see it. Zero commitment to defense, zero on-court leadership, non-competitive, Uggh, this team should have been blown up.

exstatic
07-07-2020, 03:03 PM
So you don't want the possibility of finding a diamond in the rough just because of the unlikelihood of doing so . . . meanwhile, there's no downside to going this route.

Someone will give something of decent value, but as I've said, the best chance to receive marked value is to combine him with other asset(s).

I’d put much more faith in our FO finding a rough diamond than picking through other teams trash.

talkspurs
07-07-2020, 08:30 PM

The possibility at what cost though.
There is downside as the player we get will eat a roster spot and possibly some cap space. If we get a first back unless we send him over seas will cost roster spot for years.

If we packaged him with someone to get someone good then maybe it would be worth it. (but some here will think someone else should have been traded). Haveing to package him with someone to get something of value shows how little value he has.

TD 21
07-08-2020, 04:42 PM
I’d put much more faith in our FO finding a rough diamond than picking through other teams trash.

That was one example of the type of asset they might receive.

Again, if/when he gets traded, I suspect it'll be for something like the Pistons one I proposed, where they land a potential core piece.

Failing that, I actually think they'd retain him for a final season before they'd trade him for one-two of the three lesser assets. Then, either try to work a sign and trade the following off season or lose him for nothing.

The possibility at what cost though.
There is downside as the player we get will eat a roster spot and possibly some cap space. If we get a first back unless we send him over seas will cost roster spot for years.

If we packaged him with someone to get someone good then maybe it would be worth it. (but some here will think someone else should have been traded). Haveing to package him with someone to get something of value shows how little value he has.

You're overthinking this. A roster spot/cap space are not issues in this situation. What is, are assets, particularly of the high end variety. The next best thing to those is depth of assets. By adding to the pile, it creates more possibilities down the line.

talkspurs
07-08-2020, 06:03 PM
You're overthinking this. A roster spot/cap space are not issues in this situation. What is, are assets, particularly of the high end variety. The next best thing to those is depth of assets. By adding to the pile, it creates more possibilities down the line.

I think you are thinking we get back a much better asset then we do. Bet the best we would get back as far as a pick would be a low 1st. I dont even think we wold get that back.

TD 21
07-08-2020, 06:52 PM
I think you are thinking we get back a much better asset then we do. Bet the best we would get back as far as a pick would be a low 1st. I dont even think we wold get that back.

JuneJive
07-08-2020, 07:39 PM
A draft pick is what the Spurs need as their record on that front is excellent.

talkspurs
07-08-2020, 08:21 PM
neither one of those really entice me.

DAF86
07-09-2020, 12:48 PM
Murray, White, Walker, Samanic, Poeltl

Weatherspoon, Forbes, Johnson, Lyles, Metu

TDomination
07-09-2020, 01:06 PM
Murray, White, Walker, Samanic, Poeltl

Weatherspoon, Forbes, Johnson, Lyles, Metu

i wish this was our 8 game lineup. Maybe patty instead of Forbes for these 8 games.

RC_Drunkford
07-10-2020, 11:22 AM
the line ups will be Murray/Forbes/DeRozan/Lyles/Poeltl and White/Mills/Walker/Gay/Zeller. Flopovich won't switch things up

exstatic
07-10-2020, 02:20 PM
the line ups will be Murray/Forbes/DeRozan/Lyles/Poeltl and White/Mills/Walker/Gay/Zeller. Flopovich won't switch things up

Right, because Woj never gets real, unpublished info.

Show the doctor on the doll where Pop touched you.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
07-10-2020, 05:44 PM
part of me (ok my groin) hopes that pop goes completely mad scientist with lineups during the bubble like a stoned senile nelly

Allan Rowe vs Wade
07-10-2020, 05:45 PM
if he goes full CIAPOPS he could revolutionize the game, again

FutureMan
07-11-2020, 10:23 PM
If the Spurs are looking to find out if DeRozan, Lyles, & Poeltl are worth keeping long term. I’d hope they would consider a lineup like this:

Murray
Walker
DeRozan.
Lyles
Poeltl.

dbestpro
07-12-2020, 09:35 AM
It would be a great time to see what the youth could do but Pop will do what he thinks is best which means he will go with the vets and they will lose about 6 games.

BackHome
07-12-2020, 10:05 AM
It would be a great time to see what the youth could do but Pop will do what he thinks is best which means he will go with the vets and they will lose about 6 games.

+ 1

poopbox
07-16-2020, 02:23 PM
Anything other than playing young players as much as you can is a waste of time

Spurtacular
07-16-2020, 09:29 PM
Of course Summer League is developmental.

alpha_HaZE
07-17-2020, 02:04 AM
:whine:whine:whine:whine:whine:whine:whine

Maddog
07-17-2020, 06:13 AM
“If we play well enough to get into the playoffs, that would be great,” Popovich said. “But my goal is development right now.”

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/San-Antonio-Spurs-playoff-chase-secondary-to-15414349.php

ginobilized
07-17-2020, 07:33 AM
“If we play well enough to get into the playoffs, that would be great,” Popovich said. “But my goal is development right now.”

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/San-Antonio-Spurs-playoff-chase-secondary-to-15414349.php

Fair enough, hope this bodes well for the whippersnappers.
Or
Is this CIA Pop gunning for another LOB on the backs of Forbes and Samanic?

r0drig0lac
07-17-2020, 08:01 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/6JB4v4xPTAQFi/giphy.gif

spurspl
07-18-2020, 06:41 AM

yeeah right...and the s5 with kings will be: murray/forbes/ddr/gay/zeller

Holden_Caulfield
07-18-2020, 11:41 AM
i hope pop retires soon or get an upper management role. we need a new leadership at the head coach position with these young guys.

Gibbz
07-18-2020, 12:38 PM
yeeah right...and the s5 with kings will be: murray/forbes/ddr/gay/zeller

The depressing part is I think he does view Forbes as one of those "development" pieces.