PDA

View Full Version : Poeltl on the way out?

ragas
07-03-2020, 02:28 AM
Interview with the Austrian Press Agency:

https://m.spox.com/at/sport/ussport/nba/2007/Artikel/jakob-poeltl-liebaeugelt-mit-abgang-von-san-antonio-spurs.html
Likes it in SA, but not happy with his role & playing-time. Definitely will also look after other options in FA

ZeusWillJudge
07-03-2020, 02:34 AM
It says, "The page you requested could not be found"... in German.

SpurSpike
07-03-2020, 02:52 AM
He does seem like he wants to move on. Here is the article translated...

Jakob Pöltl is toying with the departure from San Antonio Spurs

Jakob Pöltl can imagine saying goodbye to his current NBA team San Antonio Spurs. The 24-year-old's contract expires at the end of the season. Pöltl is looking for a chance for more playing time, he could advertise the league sequel to the Corona break at the end of July in Disney World in Orlando.
The Viennese wants to make his future dependent on the team composition. In San Antonio, he had to line up behind the former all-star LaMarcus Aldridge in the past two years.

"I don't know if that's an optimal situation for me another year," said Pöltl in an interview with APA . "I would be interested to look at at least a few other options and maybe find something that fits the concept better."

Pöltl becomes a restricted free agent, the Spurs can catch up with any offer from a competitor in the fall. The Austrian emphasized that he was generally positive about the team and the organization. "But as far as my career and my development are concerned, my role and the playing time are currently in the foreground."

Jakob Pöltl: "I expected more"

Before the Corona mandatory break, the center used an average of 16.6 minutes this season, scoring 5.3 points and 5.3 rebounds per game. "Then I'm in my fifth year in the NBA. I'm not saying now that I expected from the start to play 30 minutes in the fifth year, but I was expecting progress every year."
However, the values ​​are currently stagnating. Pöltl said that this had to do with his own achievements. "It depends a lot on how well I play. Last year I expected more - from myself, but also from my role and my minutes. That's why I don't want to play another year under similar conditions if it doesn't have to be."

https://www.spox.com/de/sport/ussport/nba/2003/Bilder/poelts.jpg© GEPA

Jakob Pöltl to the Detroit Pistons?

His agent keeps Pöltl up to date on possible offers. He has been associated with his former Toronto Raptors coach Dwane Casey and the Detroit Pistons. The 2.13-meter man could significantly increase his market value with a strong performance in Orlando - especially since Aldridge is out of action for the rest of the season due to shoulder surgery.
Pöltl does not see himself threatened by center colleague Tyler Zeller's short-term commitment. "On paper, there is a chance that there will be plenty of play time."
The Viennese want to take on more responsibility. The sideband strain in the knee that had forced him to watch before the corona break has healed. "I haven't felt anything in training for weeks," said Pöltl. However, the conditions for the restart are "not optimal". Only three weeks of team training are available to the Spurs from their arrival in Orlando. This will be followed by eight games in two weeks from July 31.
The chance of a subsequent playoff participation is manageable with four wins behind the Memphis Grizzlies eighth in the Western Conference. The Texans hope for ninth place, which could justify a kind of round of hope against the eighth. "We lost one of our best players and it will certainly not be easy," said Pöltl. "But if we're going there, it must be the goal."

ragas
07-03-2020, 02:59 AM
Thx for translating!

exstatic
07-03-2020, 07:37 AM
He’s restricted, so he’s likely not going anywhere.

Genovaswitness
07-03-2020, 08:15 AM
maybe he should score more than 5 points a game if he wants minutes

ragas
07-03-2020, 08:19 AM
He’s restricted, so he’s likely not going anywhere.

depends on the offer sheet

ragas
07-03-2020, 08:23 AM
maybe he should score more than 5 points a game if he wants minutes

maybe he would if Murray & Forbes could pass the ball.
And it seems there’s no need for defense.

horseshue
07-03-2020, 08:43 AM
He doesn't have any valuable skill set, so i dont see him going anywhere.

GAustex
07-03-2020, 08:50 AM
he is a better than average defender

cd98
07-03-2020, 09:27 AM
It's funny that the Pistons want yet another Spurs big man.

He should be patient. His time will come. LMA is not long to be on the Spurs roster. I'd be surprised if he makes it through the entire season next year.

lmbebo
07-03-2020, 09:50 AM
I dunno if translation is accurate. But wouldn't be surprising. A) he wants as much as money as he can get. Exploring the market allows him that. Unless he was a MAX player, I think any player would do what he is doing. B) If he's not happy with his role here, he needs to expand his game. Develop an outside shot. Its the way the league is going.

TimDunkem
07-03-2020, 09:55 AM
Let someone else overpay him.

KobesAchilles
07-03-2020, 10:04 AM
Told you Zeller was his replacement

DesignatedT
07-03-2020, 10:22 AM
I like him at the right price. I would try to keep him around tbh.

Leetonidas
07-03-2020, 11:36 AM
Not surprised. Dude is our best defensive player. Routinely would come in and impact the game and barely play after that.

B1gduff
07-03-2020, 11:43 AM
it would be quite stupid of Poeltl to leave. Dude has developed so much with us. Still remember 1st day, he had no offensive game, looked lost on defense. There still more to learn. Plus he'll have more time at the C when LA Leaves, it'll be his role to lose.

talkspurs
07-03-2020, 12:04 PM
I want to see Potel play with Metu during the 8 games. If they could be a good big man combo that would be great for our future. Would allow lyles or Luka to play the back up big.

dbestpro
07-03-2020, 12:09 PM
I have no doubt he will go elsewhere and triple his production. It is called the post pop effect.

Leetonidas
07-03-2020, 12:23 PM
I have no doubt he will go elsewhere and triple his production. It is called the post pop effect.

And then Pop gets praised in the media for developing him :lol

Play Boban
07-03-2020, 12:26 PM
He needs to be free. Poop is holding him back pe rpar disguising.

R. DeMurre
07-03-2020, 12:29 PM
All of his advanced stats are very good. It's absurd that he gets half the minutes of DeRozan. And he's one of the best defenders on a team sorely hurting for defense. I can understand why he'd want to look elsewhere.

GAustex
07-03-2020, 12:36 PM
Pöltl Should jump ship.
The poop led team is a cluster
Walker and White too

lefty
07-03-2020, 01:42 PM
Scola thread!

Seventyniner
07-03-2020, 02:19 PM

What examples do you have of that?

alpha_HaZE
07-03-2020, 03:01 PM
So we basically we will need to trade LA to keep Jokob.

B1gduff
07-03-2020, 03:02 PM
I too wish to know these examples!

TD 21
07-03-2020, 03:14 PM
This might not just be minutes related, he might actually prefer to be elsewhere because I'm sure he sees the writing on the wall with DeRozan and the pathetic lack of play making beyond him and realizes even starting and playing 25-30 mpg, it's unlikely he'll be maximized here.

Given how much this organization loves being poached and giving away good assets in general and how unlucky they are, watch the Pistons or some other team come with a bloated (in excess of the MLE) offer sheet and them replace him with another net negative to add to the collection.

All of his advanced stats are very good. It's absurd that he gets half the minutes of DeRozan. And he's one of the best defenders on a team sorely hurting for defense. I can understand why he'd want to look elsewhere.

It's logical with the construction of the roster. Aldridge can't defend "PF's" anymore and they can't afford a non shooter in the starting lineup.

Even if you want to argue to balance out their minutes more, Aldridge would have sulked and possibly asked out again. Given what they've been trying to achieve, they couldn't have that.

gambit1990
07-03-2020, 05:52 PM
not surprised he might want to be elsewhere and i don't blame him

exstatic
07-03-2020, 06:34 PM
I want to see Potel play with Metu during the 8 games. If they could be a good big man combo that would be great for our future. Would allow lyles or Luka to play the back up big.

Lyles is already better than Metu, and Luka will be soon. Metu will be lucky to be on the roster if there is any contention for the last spot. His year 3 is only partially guaranteed.

exstatic
07-03-2020, 06:40 PM
This might not just be minutes related, he might actually prefer to be elsewhere because I'm sure he sees the writing on the wall with DeRozan and the pathetic lack of play making beyond him and realizes even starting and playing 25-30 mpg, it's unlikely he'll be maximized here.

Given how much this organization loves being poached and giving away good assets in general and how unlucky they are, watch the Pistons or some other team come with a bloated (in excess of the MLE) offer sheet and them replace him with another net negative to add to the collection.

It's logical with the construction of the roster. Aldridge can't defend "PF's" anymore and they can't afford a non shooter in the starting lineup.

Even if you want to argue to balance out their minutes more, Aldridge would have sulked and possibly asked out again. Given what they've been trying to achieve, they couldn't have that.

Dr. Strange used the Eye to scan 14 million futures with Jakob on any team , and in zero of them was he maxed by any team. Here’s a tip: if your name isn’t Anthony Davis or Karl Anthony Towns, you’re not getting a Max deal going forward. No center not in that group is. It’s a little mans game now, and only elite PGs and SFs are seen as franchise pieces.

rascal
07-03-2020, 06:58 PM

Spurs players usually don't do much when they leave outside of KL.

EasyMoney
07-03-2020, 07:55 PM
Dont blame him. Barely had more like 12mpg because he exclusively played behind lamarcus.

Shakril
07-03-2020, 08:29 PM
He consistently was the best Defender on the Team. He is one of the best Blocker and Screen Setters of the league, above average in Defense and Rebounds and efficent on the offensive end. And even though he is limited skillwise, he is very mobile which actually is good for this league. But because of Reasons unknown to anyone but Pop, Poeltl was the Player with the least amount of minutes amongst regular players. And that includes Belinelli, Gay and Forbes.

No matter Stat you look at, with him on the Court the Team was better. Not because he is the greatest Player of all time, but because he actually can defend and the spurs dont have many Defenders on the roster. And that showed game-in and game-out.

So yeah i can see why he wants out.

talkspurs
07-03-2020, 09:12 PM
Lyles is already better than Metu, and Luka will be soon. Metu will be lucky to be on the roster if there is any contention for the last spot. His year 3 is only partially guaranteed.

I think many people underestimate him. I was Supporting DJ when he was a rookie and people still are underestimating him. Now I dont know how good Metu will be but he is at least an NBA player and I think better then Lyles. I also believe he would be a much better C then Lyles. As you pointed out next year is only partially guaranteed so now is the time to see what he can do against NBA players. Why should we wait till he is on another team and he turn out good and be I wish we still had him.

Dex
07-03-2020, 09:19 PM
Dude got buried behind Aldridge and Gay.

It makes sense on the surface, looking strictly at the star power of the names ahead of him.

But his impact on the team should be taken more into consideration.

phxspurfan
07-03-2020, 10:40 PM
Maybe suck ass a little less and you’ll play more

phxspurfan
07-03-2020, 10:42 PM
I like him at the right price. I would try to keep him around tbh.

He’s not going to stay for the right price. He thinks he’s the 7 foot Austrian Michael Jordan apparently

phxspurfan
07-03-2020, 10:43 PM
he is a better than average defender

and that’s all he is. At a position no one values unless you’re defending the 3 good true big men left in the NBA

horseshue
07-03-2020, 11:41 PM
All true good centers are shooting trees these days, without that he is a replacement level player without any particulay good skillset, that separates him from the rest.

horseshue
07-03-2020, 11:43 PM
Dr. Strange used the Eye to scan 14 million futures with Jakob on any team , and in zero of them was he maxed by any team. Here’s a tip: if your name isn’t Anthony Davis or Karl Anthony Towns, you’re not getting a Max deal going forward. No center not in that group is. It’s a little mans game now, and only elite PGs and SFs are seen as franchise pieces.

Jokic, Embeed, Porzingis are all max players as a centers.

Obi Juan Kenobi
07-03-2020, 11:59 PM
As Lando Calrissian would say...this Kawhi deal is getting worse all the time...

tholdren
07-03-2020, 11:59 PM
Jokic, Embeed, Porzingis are all max players as a centers.

sad day when lamelo bal picked for nba.

Spurtacular
07-04-2020, 03:11 AM
Bigs are victims of the pussification of the NBA, tbh.

horseshue
07-04-2020, 03:28 AM
sad day when lamelo bal picked for nba.

What was your point?

DAF86
07-04-2020, 04:09 AM
Just trade Aldridge for whatever we can get and give Poeltl the starting C spot.

cd021
07-04-2020, 05:06 AM
It's funny that the Pistons want yet another Spurs big man.

He should be patient. His time will come. LMA is not long to be on the Spurs roster. I'd be surprised if he makes it through the entire season next year.

-That is kinda interesting, Baynes, Boban, and potentially Poeltl.

-Agreed, I think Aldridge could even be gone by the off-season. He could be playing 30mpg as soon as next season.

Spurtacular
07-04-2020, 05:46 AM
Robert Parish would average 11.2 MPG in today's NBA.

99 Problems
07-04-2020, 07:31 AM
He can be at Clipps for the repeat next season with Kiwi. Not as if the Clipps going again with Noah.

TD 21
07-04-2020, 03:15 PM

Max? I said, in excess of the MLE; meaning something like 4/$40 million. That's the only type of offer sheet that's going to give the Spurs pause.

In addition to the players horseshue listed, Adebayo, Ayton and Jackson Jr. are all likely or at least candidates to receive the max on their rookie extensions, as well as Gobert on his third contract.

Shakril
07-04-2020, 04:34 PM
it would be quite stupid of Poeltl to leave. Dude has developed so much with us. Still remember 1st day, he had no offensive game, looked lost on defense. There still more to learn. Plus he'll have more time at the C when LA Leaves, it'll be his role to lose.

This a misconception. His first games with the spurs were just bad. But in Toronto he already proofed his value. Of course he developed further in San Antonio, but ironicly beeing behind LMA with limited Minutes halted his progress a little bit. When you looked at his stats, he had better ones in Toronto.

exstatic
07-04-2020, 08:53 PM
This a misconception. His first games with the spurs were just bad. But in Toronto he already proofed his value. Of course he developed further in San Antonio, but ironicly beeing behind LMA with limited Minutes halted his progress a little bit. When you looked at his stats, he had better ones in Toronto.

He played behind Valanciunus in TOR.

exstatic
07-04-2020, 08:55 PM
Max? I said, in excess of the MLE; meaning something like 4/$40 million. That's the only type of offer sheet that's going to give the Spurs pause.

In addition to the players horseshue listed, Adebayo, Ayton and Jackson Jr. are all likely or at least candidates to receive the max on their rookie extensions, as well as Gobert on his third contract.

No one is going to offer a career backup C that kind of money. Hell, there will be starters that won’t get offered that much. So many of you STILL fail to recognize the sea change, that centers hold little value in this NBA.

TD 21
07-04-2020, 11:39 PM
No one is going to offer a career backup C that kind of money. Hell, there will be starters that won’t get offered that much. So many of you STILL fail to recognize the sea change, that centers hold little value in this NBA.

He's clearly a starting caliber C, one of the two archetypes of the position that's in vogue and again, the only way to attempt to poach a quality RFA is to overpay. If someone offers more or less market value, barring extreme cap issues (which the Spurs don't have), of course the incumbent team is going to match.

Shakril
07-05-2020, 06:22 AM
He played behind Valanciunus in TOR.

Yes, and? He played more minutes and was more involved behind valanciunas. Was also an integral part of the Bench Mob, which was considered good enough to be a starting five on some other (weaker) teams.

And if you believe that centers have no value, well looks which positions many top players have right now, yes center.

ismael-robert
07-05-2020, 03:34 PM
They're all stretch centers n can shoot threes

Shakril
07-07-2020, 05:51 PM
Small Update:

There was another Interview on ORF, which is an Austrian news outlet.

Basicly its similar to the one, with which the thread was opened.

Small Summary:

In Essence, he very much likes the Spurs Organization, but that his minutes and role are not were he wanted them to be coming into his fifth year.
His main goal was to develop and make progress each year, but feels that he stagnates in his fourth year and expected more from himself but also to have more opportunities.
He does not want repeat that stagnation in his fifth year. He sees the Orlando Bubble as chance to showcase his value and hopes to make the playoff with the team.

------

In the interview he attacks noone, just stating his personal opinion about his status as player and what he wants. What he said kinda reflects what i have seen from him all year long.
Seeing the Playing Time below i understand were he is coming from.

Average Playing time from regular Players on the Team:

DeRozean: 34.3 Min
Aldridge: 33.1 Min
Forbes (?!): 25.1 Min
DJM: 25.0 Min
White: 24.1 Min
Mills: 22.7 Min
Gay: 21.5 Min
Lyles: 20.2 Min
Poeltl: 16.6 Min
Belinelli: 15.0 Min
Walker: 14.5 Min

I hope we can agree that Poeltl and Walker played well enough to deserve more minutes.

RC_Drunkford
07-07-2020, 09:40 PM
of course this franchise would lose him for nothing, keep DeRozan and have Tyler Zeller as his replacement. Flopovich keeps fuckin it up. Then next year he will say: "He looks like a completely different player. I haven't seen him play like that." Like he did when after he picked Plumlee instead of Bam Adebayo for Team USA.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-08-2020, 01:03 AM
Yes, and? He played more minutes and was more involved behind valanciunas. Was also an integral part of the Bench Mob, which was considered good enough to be a starting five on some other (weaker) teams.

Not sure why someone would write easily disprovable things as if they're facts. Just a couple of clicks away - Poeltl played 15.8 mins per game in his two seasons in TOR and 16.6 in SA with identical FGAs, so he didn't play more and he wasn't involved more.

And if you believe that centers have no value, well looks which positions many top players have right now, yes center.

Which centers? The ones who can shoot and you can run the whole offense through?

The Poeltl archetype is definitely not very valuable in today's NBA.

Shakril
07-08-2020, 02:48 AM
Not sure why someone would write easily disprovable things as if they're facts. Just a couple of clicks away - Poeltl played 15.8 mins per game in his two seasons in TOR and 16.6 in SA with identical FGAs, so he didn't play more and he wasn't involved more.

Which centers? The ones who can shoot and you can run the whole offense through?

The Poeltl archetype is definitely not very valuable in today's NBA.

*facepalm*

You know that if you read stats you should be able to understand them. The 15.5 Min in Toronto are not reflecting his real playing time. As a Rookie and sophomore he played less minutes in the beginning and earned more. When you look at games, he ofte had games with over 20 Mins. In the Playoffs he did not play much.

When you talk about centers. Embid, Antetekoumpo and others WERT NOT 3 Point shooters when they became allstar. Also i did not say Poeltl was on their level, i refuted that Centers arent worth anything.
Poeltl is a Mobile Big, who is very effective with People around him who can shoot the 3. There is so much evidence fort that, is a unbelievable i have to point that out.

In Essence, do your homework before trying to educate someone. Sometimes you americans try to be stupid on purpose it seems.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-08-2020, 03:05 AM
*facepalm*

You know that if you read stats you should be able to understand them. The 15.5 Min in Toronto are not reflecting his real playing time. As a Rookie and sophomore he played less minutes in the beginning and earned more. When you look at games, he ofte had games with over 20 Mins. In the Playoffs he did not play much.

So he didn't play more and he wasn't involved more? Gotcha. Glad we're in agreement.

When you talk about centers. Embid, Antetekoumpo and others WERT NOT 3 Point shooters when they became allstar. Also i did not say Poeltl was on their level, i refuted that Centers arent worth anything.

You're the one who keeps bringing all stars for comparison.

Poeltl is a Mobile Big, who is very effective with People around him who can shoot the 3. There is so much evidence fort that, is a unbelievable i have to point that out.

Who do you compare Poeltl to, that got his contract in the last couple of years then? How much do you think he's worth?

In Essence, do your homework before trying to educate someone. Sometimes you americans try to be stupid on purpose it seems.

Well that's just stupid, wrong and unnecessary, but not unexpected.

TimDunkem
07-08-2020, 07:53 AM
Look at every Poeltl thread.

Look at every post that even vaguely criticizes Yakob.

Now look at who replies to every single one. :lmao

Take his dick out of your mouth and turn the Poeltl notifications off, Shakril. :lol

TimDunkem
07-08-2020, 07:55 AM
Poeltl's skillset is replaceable and his offense is garbage. The Spurs don't have enough good passers or ball handlers to make him look consistently great. So either he stays for cheap, or another team overpays him. Hope it's the former, but if he won't then adios you fucking stiff.

RC_Drunkford
08-04-2020, 06:33 AM
He does seem like he wants to move on. Here is the article translated...

Jakob Pöltl is toying with the departure from San Antonio Spurs

Jakob Pöltl can imagine saying goodbye to his current NBA team San Antonio Spurs. The 24-year-old's contract expires at the end of the season. Pöltl is looking for a chance for more playing time, he could advertise the league sequel to the Corona break at the end of July in Disney World in Orlando.
The Viennese wants to make his future dependent on the team composition. In San Antonio, he had to line up behind the former all-star LaMarcus Aldridge in the past two years.

"I don't know if that's an optimal situation for me another year," said Pöltl in an interview with APA . "I would be interested to look at at least a few other options and maybe find something that fits the concept better."

Pöltl becomes a restricted free agent, the Spurs can catch up with any offer from a competitor in the fall. The Austrian emphasized that he was generally positive about the team and the organization. "But as far as my career and my development are concerned, my role and the playing time are currently in the foreground."

Jakob Pöltl: "I expected more"

Before the Corona mandatory break, the center used an average of 16.6 minutes this season, scoring 5.3 points and 5.3 rebounds per game. "Then I'm in my fifth year in the NBA. I'm not saying now that I expected from the start to play 30 minutes in the fifth year, but I was expecting progress every year."
However, the values ​​are currently stagnating. Pöltl said that this had to do with his own achievements. "It depends a lot on how well I play. Last year I expected more - from myself, but also from my role and my minutes. That's why I don't want to play another year under similar conditions if it doesn't have to be."

Bruh 5 years in the NBA and you still foul every 30 seconds? You can't shoot free throws? You don't even have a reliable hook shot? And you want to start?????

EasyMoney
08-04-2020, 07:30 AM
Steven Adam's would be 100x better for this team, and that's considering he don't shoot at all either.

ragas
08-04-2020, 07:48 AM
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Bruh 5 years in the NBA and you still foul every 30 seconds? You can't shoot free throws? You don't even have a reliable hook shot? And you want to start?????

it's 4 years in a very limited role. Poeltl never said he wants to start, but a bigger role (more minutes) every year. and he also said in the interview that it's on him to earn it. don't need to say that he has to avoid fouling out ;-) i'm sure he knows better than you what he has to work on. and he knows what he can do better than others. perhaps you should mention this also. it's no coincidence he has the best netrating on the team.

BackHome
08-04-2020, 11:12 AM
If your not keeping him then do a sign and trade and if your doing that might as well go straight to tank mode and trade Deroz, LMA, and Rudy.

Seventyniner
08-04-2020, 11:49 AM
Steven Adam's would be 100x better for this team, and that's considering he don't shoot at all either.

Not on that contract. He makes more than Aldridge.