PDA

View Full Version : Rumors Suggest Brooklyn Nets Want to Hire Spurs Coach Gregg Popovich

DC23
07-04-2020, 05:14 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-rumors-brooklyn-nets-gregg-popovich/

Supposedly, the Nets are planning on making Pop the kind of offer you can't refuse.

But Pop clearly loves where he's at. How likely is he to accept such an offer?

dbestpro
07-04-2020, 05:31 PM
Pop should take the offer. He can still draw up the plays. His rotations suck but all he has to do is leave his ace players on the floor. No players to screw up, I mean develop. Maybe, he could convince the Nets to trade Dinwiddie for Forbes.

lmbebo
07-04-2020, 05:31 PM
Dunno, don't care. I'm not sure money is his driving force in life right now. I could see him being a consultant if he retires from coaching the Spurs to keep himself busy.

But he has power and influence with the Spurs. New generation of players maybe not as receptive to his style of coaching?

lmbebo
07-04-2020, 05:33 PM
Will add that if he decides to go -- it might be a Clippers/Boston scenario where it would be a trade. Pop is under contract with teh Spurs for an undisclosed amount of years/money.

GAustex
07-04-2020, 05:43 PM
I hope so

RD2191
07-04-2020, 05:50 PM
Pop would never leave the Spurs. Come on now.

Robz4000
07-04-2020, 05:54 PM
He should tbh, would be best for him and the Spurs.

TDMVPDPOY
07-04-2020, 05:55 PM
go there and run for public govt seat?

playblair
07-04-2020, 06:04 PM
he sold his house so the rumors may be true.....

Degoat
07-04-2020, 06:18 PM
Yeah like mentioned above he was selling his house, one last big pay day would insure his family wealth for generations to come

talkspurs
07-04-2020, 06:23 PM
He aint leaving to go coach somewhere else. I hope he does leave though.

lmbebo
07-04-2020, 06:58 PM

Think he moved out of the home several years ago. Means nothing

Chomag
07-04-2020, 07:11 PM
Can he take Forbes with him?

Twisted_Dawg
07-04-2020, 07:44 PM
With his ego, Pop would take that job in a heartbeat hoping to win a championship with another team. He knows that will never happen here with the current roster he and RC constructed. The bigger question is if Durant and Kyrie are behind this move.

KobesAchilles
07-04-2020, 08:01 PM
Nets get: Pop and Forbes in a blockbuster signing of the century
Spurs get: better

exstatic
07-04-2020, 08:07 PM

It’s more likely that he’s retiring to his vineyard than taking another job. That would also ruin his untouchable record of most wins by a coach who only coached one franchise.

TD 21
07-04-2020, 08:21 PM
They can't offer him what he covets most and is used to possessing: Autonomy.

He's also more than likely had his fill of dealing with divas and is probably too close to the end to be seduced by money and/or the prospect of chasing a championship.

spurs10
07-04-2020, 08:25 PM
They can't offer him what he covets most and is used to possessing: Autonomy.

He's also more than likely had his fill of dealing with divas and is probably too close to the end to be seduced by money and/or the prospect of chasing a championship. This

tmtcsc
07-04-2020, 09:22 PM

Sadly, I don't think he felt the need to live in a nearly 10,000 square foot home anymore. Especially after his wife passed.

MarCowMar
07-04-2020, 09:27 PM
So after Pop talking down to us about our white privilege he goes and takes another lucrative job, in a profession that has a finite # of openings, that he doesn't even want, and denies a black person the opportunity?

I guess I need to let his liberal wisdom sink in a little longer..

daslicer
07-04-2020, 10:04 PM
Sadly, I don't think he felt the need to live in a nearly 10,000 square foot home anymore. Especially after his wife passed.

One of my close friend's uncle is multi millionaire. I remember when we were in college that my friend would invite me to stay with him at his Uncle's mansion(which is 10K sq ft) whenever his Uncle went on vacation trips. His uncle would pay him money to guard his house. I remember being blown away by the size of the house and telling my friend you must have a great time in here. My friends response was "Actually it gets pretty depressing being alone in here. The size of this place really magnifies the loneliness" So I can only imagine how Pop feels being old and alone in his mansion.

Play Boban
07-04-2020, 10:05 PM
I’d pay his salary in Brooklyn. Chase the old commy out!

ZeusWillJudge
07-04-2020, 10:08 PM
I'd throw in Forbes to sweeten the deal.

Genovaswitness
07-04-2020, 10:22 PM
good. Get him out of here

widowmaker
07-04-2020, 10:28 PM
He should take that offer to get away from this bullshit fan base.

Black lives matter right? But not one Mexican American life matters right?

widowmaker
07-04-2020, 10:30 PM
good. Get him out of here

Why dont you get out of here? Real question not a smart ass remark.

widowmaker
07-04-2020, 10:32 PM
Hey man i just found out russia is under attack they need u to go back and help them.

Genovaswitness
07-04-2020, 10:52 PM
Why dont you get out of here? Real question not a smart ass remark.

Hey man i just found out russia is under attack they need u to go back and help them.

oh look my unhinged stalker! reminder I’ve never gone out of my way to find your posts to respond to them. I hope kori or one of the other admins calls a welfare check to your home you fucking freak

Chillen
07-05-2020, 12:26 AM
I would like to see this happen for him. Maybe be the head coach for like 3 seasons and retire. Spurs need to go into full rebuild mode and with Pop gone it's a step in the right direction. Time to move on next season, Spurs had a great run with Pop. Coach these last 8 games and move on. This is a great offer for Pop, he should accept. Spurs will always welcome him back with open arms.

Chillen
07-05-2020, 02:26 AM
This is actually to perfect so it won't likely happen. Pop would be a good fit for a Durant/Irving duo. If Spurs want to go into full rebuild mode than this is a perfect sendoff and goodbye for Pop to get the chance to coach Durant/Irving for a few seasons and retire.

gambit1990
07-05-2020, 03:08 AM
i'd say pop could get the nets to the ECF... but kyrie irving.

gambit1990
07-05-2020, 03:21 AM
pop + demar for dinwiddie, harris, levert, allen.

then hire kenny atkinson.

gambit1990
07-05-2020, 03:28 AM
i don't see pop leaving though... unless he wants to bolster his legacy. does he really wanna deal with NY media though? on the plus side, his social statements would carry more weight.

exstatic
07-05-2020, 06:53 AM
This is actually to perfect so it won't likely happen. Pop would be a good fit for a Durant/Irving duo. If Spurs want to go into full rebuild mode than this is a perfect sendoff and goodbye for Pop to get the chance to coach Durant/Irving for a few seasons and retire.

:lol. Those are the exact types of players that Pop doesn’t connect with: prima donnas. That’s the reason I see this as nothing more than a rumor during a time withou on the court stories.

widowmaker
07-05-2020, 09:00 AM
oh look my unhinged stalker! reminder I’ve never gone out of my way to find your posts to respond to them. I hope kori or one of the other admins calls a welfare check to your home you fucking freak

Dont send someone to deal with me deal with me yourself pussy.

Dex
07-05-2020, 09:54 AM
Pop would kill Kyrie on the first day of training camp.

Realdeal1
07-05-2020, 10:31 AM
Would be a good move for both Pop and the spurs ... Spurs can finally rebuild and Pop has a legit chance to win 1 more title maybe 2 at the most with Durant and Kyrie ... for a combined 6-7 titles as a Head coach to cement his legacy ...

Realdeal1
07-05-2020, 10:32 AM
Btw Sean Marks already shot down the rumors

Dex
07-05-2020, 10:42 AM
Would be a good move for both Pop and the spurs ... Spurs can finally rebuild and Pop has a legit chance to win 1 more title maybe 2 at the most with Durant and Kyrie ... for a combined 6-7 titles as a Head coach to cement his legacy ...

Pop's legacy is already cemented even if he never sniffs another playoffs. He will go down as one of the top coaches to ever coach the game.

Do you really think Pop is going to leave the house he built to chase another ring for "accolades"?

Realdeal1
07-05-2020, 10:46 AM
Pop's legacy is already cemented even if he never sniffs another playoffs. He will go down as one of the top coaches to ever coach the game.

Do you really think Pop is going to leave the house he built to chase another ring for "accolades"?

I meant further cement his legacy .... Obviously if he doesn’t win another title or ever coach again he will still go down as one of the greatest coaches of all time ... I meant kinda how like Phil Jackson won 5 more titles with the lakers after winning 6 with the bulls ... geez ... anyways I don’t think it will happen

TD 21
07-05-2020, 11:02 AM

:lmao You were doing so well too, with your social justice commentary . . . but you just had to go and ruin it.

RC_Drunkford
07-05-2020, 11:21 AM
I wish he would. We could land KD for Aldridge and DeFrozan.

paperboy77
07-05-2020, 11:21 AM
Vamonos Greg. Don't let the door hit you

Truth4sale$
07-05-2020, 11:44 AM
I dont see a trade for Popovich, but a deal could be made in the off season. The Nets are trying to win NOW, and the reality will hit for the Spurs after 8 games. Any chance they Nets take either Rudy Gay, Aldridge or DeRozan

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-05-2020, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't want to coach Kyrie, or KD for that matter. The east should be pretty wide open save for the Bucks, and Coach Bud seems to struggle a bit at beating his former mentor.

But talk about two prima donnas. Lots of future headaches for that coach. Pop's coasting in at this point. I doubt he'd have the energy to manage those two egos, plus the scrutiny of the east coast media.

Dirks_Finale
07-05-2020, 01:11 PM
Bigger market for him...better platform to spew all his radical, liberal B.S.

gambit1990
07-05-2020, 02:42 PM
Pop would kill Kyrie on the first day of training camp.
you'd think but but i wouldn't be surprised if they actually have a positive relationship from team usa.

ZeusWillJudge
07-05-2020, 03:23 PM

He got there by working a black man like a rented mule. He didn't build that.

8FOR!3
07-05-2020, 03:37 PM
Pop's worth 30 million and he's 71 years old, what's an offer that he can't refuse? Another 30 million? 50 million? I don't see any of those as an offer you can't refuse at his age. He doesn't need money.

TD 21
07-05-2020, 03:40 PM
Bigger market for him...better platform to spew all his radical, liberal B.S.

:lmao Only in this arrogant, dumb, uneducated, segregated, soft, bereft of leadership, embarrassment to humanity of a country, could social justice be described as "radical, liberal B.S.".

The same idiots who have attempted to politicize not only that, but wearing a mask and social distancing to attempt to keep themselves and those they care about safe and slow the spread of a potentially deadly virus, with unknown long term affects.

Who needs common sense though when you've got "freedom" and can do as you please (if you're white, at least) with no repercussions?

phxspurfan
07-05-2020, 03:48 PM
He can join the FO as GM like he was with the Spurs. Be the Bill Parcells of the NBA, the turn around artist

phxspurfan
07-05-2020, 03:52 PM
Pop's worth 30 million and he's 71 years old, what's an offer that he can't refuse? Another 30 million? 50 million? I don't see any of those as an offer you can't refuse at his age. He doesn't need money.

Maybe he wants more rings to pass Phil

exstatic
07-05-2020, 04:11 PM
He can join the FO as GM like he was with the Spurs. Be the Bill Parcells of the NBA, the turn around artist

Sean Marks is their GM. Pop would never do that.

exstatic
07-05-2020, 04:13 PM

Yeah, that’s never going to happen. He’s got 5 and Phil coat tail rode to 11 rings. It took Pop 24 years, and one amazing, loyal player to get those 5.

Dirks_Finale
07-05-2020, 10:59 PM
I have never politicized the mask issue. I wear one to help slow the spread. It works.

I'm talking about the white guilt trip that constantly comes out of Pop's rich, white mouth. :lol

:lmao Only in this arrogant, dumb, uneducated, segregated, soft, bereft of leadership, embarrassment to humanity of a country, could social justice be described as "radical, liberal B.S.".

The same idiots who have attempted to politicize not only that, but wearing a mask and social distancing to attempt to keep themselves and those they care about safe and slow the spread of a potentially deadly virus, with unknown long term affects.

Who needs common sense though when you've got "freedom" and can do as you please (if you're white, at least) with no repercussions?

TD 21
07-05-2020, 11:54 PM
I have never politicized the mask issue. I wear one to help slow the spread. It works.

I'm talking about the white guilt trip that constantly comes out of Pop's rich, white mouth. :lol

You're missing the point.

ZeusWillJudge
07-06-2020, 01:33 AM

Who needs common sense?

Frederick Douglass was an abolitionist. (That means he fought to get rid of slavery.) He was described by abolitionists in his time as a living counter-example to slaveholders' arguments that slaves lacked the intellectual capacity to function as independent American citizens. (That means he was black, and really, really smart.)

Hans Christian Heg was an abolitionist. (Albeit a white one.) He was a member of an anti slave-catcher militia. He died trying to end slavery.

Statues of both of them got torn down by stupid fucking neanderthals like you. Only a mind like yours could look at the idiocracy you are currently living in and call it "social justice".

Sharpen those sticks, Bonzo. I'm ready for some new hairless apes to evolve.

ZeusWillJudge
07-06-2020, 01:50 AM

These looters needa get some shit for justice. But they don't need masks, because the virus has an allergy to melanin.

Are these "the same idiots" you were talking about, or are these other idiots? Asking for a friend.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fearloftaint.files.wordpress.com%2 F2015%2F04%2Flooters.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

8FOR!3
07-06-2020, 07:51 AM

Maybe. I still don't think that team is the favorites over LA or next year's GSW. Maybe the could win the East but it wouldn't be easy. Durant will be 32 next year coming off a major injury. We have no idea if he'll be the same.

MultiTroll
07-06-2020, 03:56 PM
Source: Steven A Smith.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/5162ddee-0565-43cf-8dff-0e487d649242/svn/toilet-paper-28-95003-64_1000.jpg

Chucho
07-06-2020, 04:09 PM
Kyrie and Durant have too much political power for Poppressive to put a knee to their throats. If he can't stunt their progress, he wants nothing to do with them.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-06-2020, 04:29 PM
Want in one hand and shit in the other.

Larry O
07-06-2020, 05:07 PM
Hmmm.... in my opinion, I just don't see Pop taking this job. For one: Kyrie & Durant... SMH. It will take a special coach to coach those two, & I just don't see Pop having the patience to deal with them, let alone a whole new challenge with a new team; a new city; a more aggressive press who is probably more critical than SA's. Here in SA, Pop is KING & he's set for life here. Pop will claim that he's not the type that's out for accolades, money or be in the spotlight. But on the other hand, if Pop feels that he's been complacent for too long in SA, & in his competitiveness, he is looking for a new challenge; a fresh new start after the death of his wife, in a different city; on a new team with the great talents of Irving & Durant, & with the high percentage chance to win a Chip, while having Marks to back him up, may sound good to him, along with the chance to add to his legacy, & I'm sure that the dollars would make some sense, too! But at the end of the day, I just see Pop ending his coaching career with the Spurs & somehow, using his platform as a spokesperson for justice or some other cause. Or just Kick back drink wine & enjoy life.

lefty
07-07-2020, 09:12 AM
:lol Pop would get along with this dude :

https://twitter.com/mmpadellan