PDA

View Full Version : Salvage Title?

Mixability
11-07-2005, 06:28 PM
How easy is it to get a salvage title turned into a clean title? I'm looking at buying a brand new car that had some minor fender work done, but it has a salvage title. Nothing is wrong with the car at all. The reason I'm looking at this car is that the same car brand new is running about $15,000 more at the dealership. I would rather spend that money on my kids future college tuition. What would I have to do at the DPS/DMV in order for this vehicle to be legally driven?

Vashner
11-07-2005, 07:18 PM
It's impossible(to change the title status). Salvage titles are exactly that.. normally indicates damage to frame and critical components.

You can drive a salvage title if the vehicle passes inspection and of course you get insurance. I used to have an RX7 that I rebuilt from crash and burn. I rebuilt it from parts out of El Camino junkyard :)

Mixability
11-08-2005, 12:06 AM
Well there was no frame damage, just body damage. I thought I saw a "rebuilt title" on the DMV website. So the car can never have a clean title?

CosmicCowboy
11-08-2005, 09:16 AM
nope

Mixability
11-08-2005, 09:19 AM
nope

damn :pctoss

Vashner
11-08-2005, 10:40 AM
If there was a way to do that then every chop shop from here to Mexico city would be selling them as normal used cars. It's a consumer protection thing. Now it will let you buy a frame and build a road worthy vehicle. But that's a risk you take safety wise with the vehicle.

CosmicCowboy
11-08-2005, 10:57 AM
The car can be legally driven and if it is in as good a shape as you say then just plan on driving it till the wheels fall off...whatever you save on the purchase you will lose on the resale...the only way around that is to drive "all the goodie" out of the vehicle...

Don't trust a car dealer that it just had "minor" damage...get it checked out by a reputable shop before you buy it...

What kind of car is it? If it is a unibody frame then there may be no visible damage but the frame might not be "square" anymore after they pulled it out...

CosmicCowboy
11-08-2005, 11:01 AM
also, don't forget that there were thousands of vehicles with water damage from the hurricanes that were salvaged that didn't have "body" damage...someone could have stuck in new carpet and seats and you may be buying a "pretty" vehicle that has perpetual electrical/computer problems.

Kip Fanatic
11-08-2005, 12:24 PM
I understood that you can change it from Salvage to a clean title. I think you have to go to another state and register the vehicle. Something like that. Its a lot of work, but it can be done. I have bought a salvaged vehicle. Its runs great and have had no problems. However, I saw the car before it was re-conditioned. I knew exactly what I was buying.

It saved me around $8000.00.

Mixability
11-08-2005, 12:55 PM
I understood that you can change it from Salvage to a clean title.

Me too. The Texas DMV website has forms for a salvage title to be turned into a rebuilt title and then a rebuilt to a clean. It sounds like a lot of work, but the savings would be worth it. I'm kinda reconsidering it now, but who knows....

Vashner
11-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Talk about stubborn. Do you even know what a crumple zone is? There is a lot of physics involved. And insurance companies and consumers don't need cars that have been totalled and then changed to a clean title. It's wrong... what part about that don't you understand? A buyer should have the right to know. You have no right to cover up vehicle history.

Kip Fanatic
11-08-2005, 01:30 PM
I would really consider it. I only bought my vehicle like that because I saw the car before it was fixed. I saw all the damage upfront and was OK with it. I also didn't commit until I was pleased with the body work. I made sure the paint was good and test drove on two different occasions.

A friend of mine bought a salvaged vehicle and had it turned into a clean title.

Kip Fanatic
11-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Talk about stubborn. Do you even know what a crumple zone is? There is a lot of physics involved. And insurance companies and consumers don't need cars that have been totalled and then changed to a clean title. It's wrong... what part about that don't you understand? A buyer should have the right to know. You have no right to cover up vehicle history.

I don't think he wants to buy it to sell it. I think he wants to buy to save money by not buying a new vehicle. That's the reason I bought mine. I needed a vehicle that would save me gas and found one. When I bought I signed documents saying I understood the car did not have the airbags.

I agree that the buyer has the right to know what he/she is buying. If he tries to trade it in he won't be able to, but I think he is wanting to buy one for personal use.

Mixability
11-08-2005, 03:19 PM

Damn, calm down. I meant that I was reconsidering, meaning that I was having second thoughts about buying it. And that was because of your advice, which I thank you for. But jeez, take a chill pill.

I don't think he wants to buy it to sell it. I think he wants to buy to save money by not buying a new vehicle. That's the reason I bought mine. I needed a vehicle that would save me gas and found one. When I bought I signed documents saying I understood the car did not have the airbags.

I agree that the buyer has the right to know what he/she is buying. If he tries to trade it in he won't be able to, but I think he is wanting to buy one for personal use.

YOU get what I was trying to say. I wasn't trying to "clean up" a vehicle to rip someone off. I'm trustworthy(unlike Duff :angel ) and would feel horrible if I did that.

SpursWoman
11-08-2005, 03:23 PM
I had a "flood damage" title once that happened to be a big surprise when we got it in the mail. Acutally, it shouldn't have been that big of a surprise considering we'd replaced everything electrical in it by then. :fro

I highly recommend getting it thoroughly checked out by more than one independant mechanic if I were you. There's a reason why the price is that drastically reduced if it was only *minor* damage.

PM5K
11-08-2005, 03:23 PM
I don't get this thread, why do you want a clean title anyway?

Kip Fanatic
11-08-2005, 03:32 PM

Maybe he wants to get is insured. Insurance companies don't usually insure "salvaged" vehicles.

PM5K
11-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Maybe he wants to get is insured. Insurance companies don't usually insure "salvaged" vehicles.

They won't insure them or they won't fully insure them?

Kip Fanatic
11-08-2005, 03:37 PM
I don't think they will insure them period. I think.

Mixability
11-08-2005, 03:48 PM
I don't think they will insure them period. I think.

right!

Mixability
11-08-2005, 03:51 PM

I'm picky about things like that and I need to insure it too, but I'm really thinking not to get it, since I would rather pay extra for peace of mind.

Gatita
11-08-2005, 04:03 PM
My sister bought a 2004 Grand Am for 6500 last year. It was a salvage. It runs and looks like new. She does have full coverage insurance.

Mixability
11-08-2005, 04:07 PM
She does have full coverage insurance.

with who?

CosmicCowboy
11-08-2005, 04:08 PM
My sister bought a 2004 Grand Am for 6500 last year. It was a salvage. It runs and looks like new. She does have full coverage insurance.

dang girl! Don't confuse them with facts!

Gatita
11-08-2005, 04:12 PM
dang girl! Don't confuse them with facts!

Its the truth. I had a salvage car when I was 21, a pontiac sunfire. I used it for a couple of years and then gave it to my brother. Who in turn gave it to his girlfriend. It is still running today. In good condition.

Me and my sister have the same insurance company, Farm Bureau.

ObiwanGinobili
11-08-2005, 04:33 PM
I've had 2 salvage cars..... ( only had them for a short period since we sold them for the cash :bling :bling)

a '99 Explorer, and a '02 Altima - both had full ins.

SpursWoman
11-08-2005, 04:36 PM
I had insurance on the flood car, it can't be any different. :fro

Mixability
11-08-2005, 05:18 PM
I've decided to wait on a new car, since I'd rather have a brand new vehicle with piece of mind and not have to worry that my front end is gonna fall off on the highway.

Kip Fanatic
11-08-2005, 05:45 PM
I've decided to wait on a new car, since I'd rather have a brand new vehicle with piece of mind and not have to worry that my front end is gonna fall off on the highway.

To each his own. I have full coverage on my salvaged vehicle. It runs great. Thank God. I would do it again if I were to see the damage ahead of time. That's my opinion though.

ObiwanGinobili
11-08-2005, 06:08 PM
We are fixin to buy 2-3 cars ... all salvage vehicles.

Emo did autobody and frame for 9 yrs untill yesterday (yesterday was his 1st day @ toyota). So we buy 'em screwed up and then fix them oursleves.

He just got done helping out his unlce on a '02 Saturn. bought for $800, parts were $450. After 3 weekends of work he's got an awesome vehicle with 32K miles on it for his teenager. OUr nephew plans on keeping that thing until lthe day it dies.

I can;t wait to get started on our cars.... hopefully a small truck and a med. sedan.
Maybe a secound compact car for my mom if the $$ is right...