PDA

View Full Version : Study of 65,000 students in South Korea finds middle and high school children pass it virus as well as adults.

midnightpulp
07-18-2020, 11:23 PM
Children between the ages of 10 and 19 can spread the coronavirus at least as effectively as adults do, according to a recently published study out of South Korea.

Why it matters: The findings come amid a heated global debate on reopening schools as the coronavirus pandemic wears on. Experts warn that if schools resume this fall, communities could see clusters of the infection emerge that include children of all ages, citing the study findings.

How it works: South Korean researchers identified 5,706 people who first reported coronavirus symptoms in their households between Jan. 20 and March 27, when schools in the country were closed, according to the New York Times.

They traced 59,073 contacts from the original cases.

THIS is the gold standard study right now because SK has the best test-and-trace apparatus anywhere in the world.

I would say the happy medium is to maybe open schools elementary schools for children under 10 and continue with remote learning for older children. And only for hot spots. I think regions like Wyoming with 10 people in the whole state can risk broader reopenings.

DMC
07-18-2020, 11:28 PM
You think some of you are flipping out now because of snatch and grab by uncle Sam on city streets, just wait until everyone you know, every place you've been, etc.. gets dissected to the Nth degree through contact tracing. The anti-mask mafia ain't shit. SK level contact tracing would send HIPAA into septic shock.

midnightpulp
07-18-2020, 11:32 PM
You think some of you are flipping out now because of snatch and grab by uncle Sam on city streets, just wait until everyone you know, every place you've been, etc.. gets dissected to the Nth degree through contact tracing. The anti-mask mafia ain't shit. SK level contact tracing would send HIPAA into septic shock.

Yeah, SK level contact tracing wouldn't work socially here due to too many Freedumb idiots and conspiracy theorists (never mind the fact their movement is already being dissected to the Nth degree just from being on fucking facebook). The solution really is a nationwide time out, like what you do to a spoiled child when he's throwing a tantrum. The Freedumbs crowd didn't want to compromise on solutions that would allow an 80% open economy, so now it's time to treat the collective nation like the children we are.

ChumpDumper
07-18-2020, 11:33 PM
You think some of you are flipping out now because of snatch and grab by uncle Sam on city streets, just wait until everyone you know, every place you've been, etc.. gets dissected to the Nth degree through contact tracing. The anti-mask mafia ain't shit. SK level contact tracing would send HIPAA into septic shock.Too late for that, so I'm just going to not like Trump's secret police rather than be distracted by your imagined whataboutism.

RandomGuy
07-20-2020, 09:51 AM

I am actually still annoyed about the Russian bounties on our troops, Trump extorting allies with aid money for bribes, hiring his daughter and son in law and giving them security clearances, and him lining his pockets with visits to his properties, as well as violating the emoluments clause.

The COVID fuckup is just the shit frosting on the dung cake.

That unidentified law enforcement is snatching people off the streets in unmarked vehicles.. that is the M80 candle on that shit cake.

rmt
07-20-2020, 10:52 AM
Big difference between American (individualistic, independent, liberty) and Asian culture (family oriented, socially compliant, herd mentality, subservient, reserved, etc)

boutons_deux
07-20-2020, 11:36 AM
Big difference between American (individualistic, independent, liberty) and Asian culture (family oriented, socially compliant, herd mentality, subservient, reserved, etc)

Euro Caucasians got their pandemics under control, didn't need no Asians

America is unique among industrial nations for not managing down the pandemic.

TSA
07-20-2020, 11:38 AM
THIS is the gold standard study right now because SK has the best test-and-trace apparatus anywhere in the world.

I would say the happy medium is to maybe open schools elementary schools for children under 10 and continue with remote learning for older children. And only for hot spots. I think regions like Wyoming with 10 people in the whole state can risk broader reopenings.https://twitter.com/apsmunro/status/1284794506265722881

https://twitter.com/apsmunro/status/1284794524544446466

https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1284951270176944128

pgardn
07-20-2020, 11:44 AM
Contract tracing becomes incredibly cumbersome and useless when a certain % of a population has it and Or where people mix very freely (us opening up in big cities)

can still be useful in areas of the country that are isolated, not populated, and not and a high percentage of infection.

pgardn
07-20-2020, 11:56 AM
https://twitter.com/apsmunro/status/1284794506265722881

Post the unpublished data the SKs purposely left out Alesdare
Show it and prove your point twitter man.

I have seen unpublished data on this same cohort of childrenAlmost every single secondary case from a child index case SHARED the initial exposureMeaning they probably became infected at the same time, the child just developed symptoms first

One could do this for almost any large study, I have seen unpublished data that indicates...

baseline bum
07-20-2020, 11:59 AM
I am actually still annoyed about the Russian bounties on our troops, Trump extorting allies with aid money for bribes, hiring his daughter and son in law and giving them security clearances, and him lining his pockets with visits to his properties, as well as violating the emoluments clause.

The COVID fuckup is just the shit frosting on the dung cake.

That unidentified law enforcement is snatching people off the streets in unmarked vehicles.. that is the M80 candle on that shit cake.

The COVID fuckup is the cake.

TSA
07-20-2020, 12:03 PM
Post the unpublished data the SKs purposely left out Alesdare
Show it and prove your point twitter man.

I have seen unpublished data on this same cohort of childrenAlmost every single secondary case from a child index case SHARED the initial exposureMeaning they probably became infected at the same time, the child just developed symptoms first

One could do this for almost any large study, I have seen unpublished data that indicates...

:lol "twitter man"

https://twitter.com/apsmunro/status/1285218445420888064

pgardn
07-20-2020, 12:05 PM
:lol "twitter man"

https://twitter.com/apsmunro/status/1285218445420888064

he is becoming one.
he knew the study was going on way back he got access to unpublished data does he ever say he contacted the study group and brought up the omission?
he is a reviewer and he has the data so wtf happened? They brushed off his analysis, what?

that’s how it’s done.

so since you use Twitter so thoroughly why don’t you ask him?

pgardn
07-20-2020, 12:10 PM
There are reviewer’s in this business that have big-time clout and stop the publishing or add doubts to the published where was he? This is right down his alley and he knew about it way back. did he just wait to embarrass the South Koreans?

RandomGuy
07-20-2020, 12:29 PM
Yeah, SK level contact tracing wouldn't work socially here due to too many Freedumb idiots and conspiracy theorists (never mind the fact their movement is already being dissected to the Nth degree just from being on fucking facebook). The solution really is a nationwide time out, like what you do to a spoiled child when he's throwing a tantrum. The Freedumbs crowd didn't want to compromise on solutions that would allow an 80% open economy, so now it's time to treat the collective nation like the children we are.

That is pretty much the only real solution. Tone at the top matters.

Blake
07-20-2020, 12:52 PM

Biggest difference between the US and the rest of the civilized world is that on average our citizens are complete morons. I mean, look at the garbage we elect into our offices.

tholdren
07-20-2020, 01:00 PM
https://twitter.com/apsmunro/status/1284794506265722881

don't use science from unbiased scientists, it's not scientific

Blake
07-20-2020, 01:05 PM
don't use science from unbiased scientists, it's not scientific

"Children almost certainly DO transmit COVID-19," [Alasdair] Munro, a clinical research fellow in pediatric infectious diseases at University Hospital Southampton, said on Twitter on Thursday,....."

https://www.businessinsider.com/children-do-transmit-covid-19-says-researcher-amid-confusion-2020-4

rmt
07-20-2020, 01:05 PM
Biggest difference between the US and the rest of the civilized world is that on average our citizens are complete morons. I mean, look at the garbage we elect into our offices.

Well, at least, no elected official here is committing suicide over allegations of sexual misconduct like SK mayor.

tholdren
07-20-2020, 01:11 PM
"Children almost certainly DO transmit COVID-19," [Alasdair] Munro, a clinical research fellow in pediatric infectious diseases at University Hospital Southampton, said on Twitter on Thursday,....."

https://www.businessinsider.com/children-do-transmit-covid-19-says-researcher-amid-confusion-2020-4

Again you dont respond in a logical manner because you are too emotional. I qas mocking for cherry picking data. And here you prove the point.

Blake
07-20-2020, 01:12 PM
Well, at least, no elected official here is committing suicide over allegations of sexual misconduct like SK mayor.

Here they run for re-election

Blake
07-20-2020, 01:13 PM
Again you dont respond in a logical manner because you are too emotional. I qas mocking for cherry picking data. And here you prove the point.

I proved the point that the source only matters to you nuts when the data confirms your bias.

TSA
07-20-2020, 01:16 PM

"Growing evidence suggests children are less susceptible to infection, have milder infection, and are infrequently responsible for household transmission."

Did you purposely leave off the very next sentence of the article you linked?

tholdren
07-20-2020, 01:19 PM
I proved the point that the source only matters to you nuts when the data confirms your bias.

no you didn't. If you would have read the Twitter thread he says the same thing you had to Google to.find.

Take a math or statistics class. Or even a philosophy class. Your logic is awful

tholdren
07-20-2020, 01:20 PM

no you didn't. If you would have read the Twitter thread he says the same thing you had to Google to.find.

Take a math or statistics class. Or even a philosophy class. Your logic is awful

midnightpulp
07-20-2020, 01:21 PM
[QUOTE=TSA;10199795]https://twitter.com/apsmunro/status/1284794506265722881

So we're at an inconclusive crossroads then. Do you think it's wise to send students back to school wholesale where the consequences are inconclusive? We also still have no robust studies on the long term effects of getting infected. What if we created a generation of asthmatics?

Blake
07-20-2020, 01:23 PM
Did you purposely leave off the very next sentence of the article you linked?

Yes, it wasn't necessary. We've been over this but you're just here to win the internets.

Do kids transmit covid the way adults do? No

Do kids still transmit it? Yes.

It's very simple but you're gonna screech about wanting studies showing kids being mega vectors now.

Blake
07-20-2020, 01:24 PM

But you're a confirmed liar and idiot tho.

Blake
07-20-2020, 01:25 PM

So we're at an inconclusive crossroads then. Do you think it's wise to send students back to school wholesale where the consequences are inconclusive? We also still have no robust studies on the long term effects of getting infected. What if we created a generation of asthmatics?

BUT SWEDEN SAYS IT'S OKAY

tholdren
07-20-2020, 01:47 PM
[QUOTE=midnightpulp;10199885]

BUT SWEDEN SAYS IT'S OKAY
Right. And they have had no lockdown and school continued. They would probably be the best to judge. Go look at their data. Its not the working class or students who are dying.

pgardn
07-20-2020, 01:47 PM

Why did this pediatric research reviewer not get his stuff to SK?
If his claim is legit and important he should have corresponded with this research group. If he is known as top notch, he would have or even if he had concerns as a relative unknown to them, he could have got it through to someone with more clout.
Did he? why not? why did they not read his criticism? too much missing here. He had access to the data he says was left out, explain. He was on this way early in the game.

This requires more info, its not how something this important should work.

tholdren
07-20-2020, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=midnightpulp;10199885]

Why did this pediatric research reviewer not get his stuff to SK?
If his claim is legit and important he should have corresponded with this research group. If he is known as top notch, he would have or even if he had concerns as a relative unknown to them, he could have got it through to someone with more clout.
Did he? why not? why did they not read his criticism? too much missing here. He had access to the data he says was left out, explain. He was on this way early in the game.

This requires more info, its not how something this important should work.

its how every study works.

pgardn
07-20-2020, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE=pgardn;10199914]

its how every study works.

Absolutely wrong.

If the reviewer is correct and had the complaints early on, it would be in the SK published study.
I can see this happening in some obscure journal that no one reviews thoroughly, but not a good reviewer that had the "data that was left out"
He rings the bell early in his Southampton group, not just on twitter for TSA and you.

pgardn
07-20-2020, 01:53 PM
Find it.

tholdren
07-20-2020, 01:54 PM
[QUOTE=tholdren;10199918]

Absolutely wrong.

If the reviewer is correct and had the complaints early on, it would be in the SK published study.
I can see this happening in some obscure journal that no one reviews thoroughly, but not a good reviewer that had the "data that was left out"
He rings the bell early in his Southampton group, not just on twitter for TSA and you.

no, every study has strength weakness and future study. It is science. It is how science works

pgardn
07-20-2020, 02:06 PM
[QUOTE=pgardn;10199924]

no, every study has strength weakness and future study. It is science. It is how science works

Can you not read?

This REVIEWER had data that was "left out" early on.
Why did he not do his job? what happened?

tholdren
07-20-2020, 02:08 PM
[QUOTE=tholdren;10199928]

Can you not read?

This REVIEWER had data that was "left out" early on.
Why did he not do his job? what happened?
Don't you ubderstand the process? Every datum not included in every study.

pgardn
07-20-2020, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE=pgardn;10199943]
Don't you ubderstand the process? Every datum not included in every study.

He is a research REVIEWER and reviewed had access early on and did not tell the authors?
Why not?

Find it. Why not?

This is very important in determining how different countries should go about opening schools.
But he tweets TSA and you? You dont put this stuff out if a REVIEWER has a salient objection.
Im not even saying I dont believe it, what I dont get is the process, it does not work like this on something this important.

And if it does, it needs to be corrected so find out why.
You wont.

tholdren
07-20-2020, 02:15 PM
[QUOTE=tholdren;10199947]

He is a research REVIEWER and reviewed had access early on and did not tell the authors?
Why not?

Find it. Why not?

This is very important in determining how different countries should go about opening schools.
But he tweets TSA and you? You dont put this stuff out if a REVIEWER has a salient objection.
Im not even saying I dont believe it, what I dont get is the process, it does not work like this on something this important.

And if it does, it needs to be corrected so find out why.
You wont.
You dont know what the committee said or did

pgardn
07-20-2020, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE=pgardn;10199957]
You dont know what the committee said or did

Exactly.
Find it since you do.

You dont even know if any committee ever even saw the complaint before twitter.
Find it.

tholdren
07-20-2020, 02:33 PM
[QUOTE=tholdren;10199959]

Exactly.
Find it since you do.

You dont even know if any committee ever even saw the complaint before twitter.
Find it.

Then you admit you don't understand. White flag for gossip accepted

pgardn
07-20-2020, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=pgardn;10199970]

Then you admit you don't understand. White flag for gossip accepted

Yes I admit that you admit you dont know and cant find anything.
You are an old man who does not understand science in its current state or math.
There is nothing this board can do for you.
Just leave.