PDA

View Full Version : Physicists only please

SpursforSix
07-31-2020, 01:00 PM
I was walking down the hall to the bathroom the other day and started flapping my arms. Not sure why but just felt like it.

But it made me wonder if there was some speed that I could flap my arms at that would provide enough lift to make me hover or fly. Or will there never be enough surface area / lift shit to allow me to take flight.

And this doesn't have to be a real life discussion. Theoretically, is there some speed that a human could flap his arms at and achieve flight?

SpursforSix
07-31-2020, 01:03 PM
Also...for you smart asses...I'm not worried about control at this point.

baseline bum
07-31-2020, 02:13 PM
No matter how hard you fap you'll never fly.

DMC
07-31-2020, 06:01 PM
You're creating lift in both directions, so opposing forces. Plus you're probably a fat ass.

pgardn
07-31-2020, 10:17 PM
You're creating lift in both directions, so opposing forces. Plus you're probably a fat ass.

so if you jumped off a ladder and flap your wings arms as fast as SF six you would stay suspended in air.

that’s cool

you don’t want to mention gravity.

MultiTroll
07-31-2020, 10:34 PM
Keep practicing.

pgardn
07-31-2020, 10:36 PM
Keep practicing.

practicing what?

DMC
07-31-2020, 10:47 PM
so if you jumped off a ladder and flap your wings arms as fast as SF six you would stay suspended in air.

that’s cool

you don’t want to mention gravity.

Helicopters face gravitational forces. It doesn't stop them from flying. If he gained enough positive lift even off of a ladder, or building, or whatever... he'd be able to hover. Neutralizing forces means gravity is the boss. I did say he's a fat ass. Why do you think that matters? Without gravity you don't need lift. You only need propulsion (space travel).

I get it you think you're a physics guru but it's quite obvious you lack basic reasoning skills.

MultiTroll
07-31-2020, 10:54 PM
practicing what?

This. He should keep practicing this like 14 hours per day for the next 20 years:

I was walking down the hall to the bathroom the other day and started flapping my arms. Not sure why but just felt like it.

But it made me wonder if there was some speed that I could flap my arms at that would provide enough lift to make me hover or fly. Or will there never be enough surface area / lift shit to allow me to take flight.

And this doesn't have to be a real life discussion. Theoretically, is there some speed that a human could flap his arms at and achieve flight?

pgardn
07-31-2020, 10:57 PM
Helicopters face gravitational forces. It doesn't stop them from flying. If he gained enough positive lift even off of a ladder, or building, or whatever... he'd be able to hover. Neutralizing forces means gravity is the boss. I did say he's a fat ass. Why do you think that matters? Without gravity you don't need lift. You only need propulsion (space travel).

I get it you think you're a physics guru but it's quite obvious you lack basic reasoning skills.

you said he would get lift in both directions.
That is stupid.

he won’t get a lift in either direction.

he will fall because of gravity has nothing to do with lift.
i’m not a guru, but I’m not you either thankfully

and being a fat ass does not make him accelerate down any differently unless it changes his resistance to air

Drop a marble and a bowling ball from the same height and tell me which one is the ground first

SF6 would be your bowling ball

pgardn
07-31-2020, 11:00 PM
Helicopters get lift because the blade is basically a moving wing.
Jets get lift because they propel themselves horizontally and the air rushing over the nonmoving wing creates lift because it’s cambered just like the helicopter blade

you love getting yourself in messes

A little addition

A propeller is also basically a moving wing that gets the plane moving horizontally until the air rushes over the wings fast enough so that the wings give it lift up

pgardn
07-31-2020, 11:05 PM
This. He should keep practicing this like 14 hours per day for the next 20 years:

you want injured?

And not from falling.

DMC
08-01-2020, 12:21 AM
you said he would get lift in both directions.
That is stupid.

he won’t get a lift in either direction.

he will fall because of gravity has nothing to do with lift.
i’m not a guru, but I’m not you either thankfully

and being a fat ass does not make him accelerate down any differently unless it changes his resistance to air

Drop a marble and a bowling ball from the same height and tell me which one is the ground first

SF6 would be your bowling ball

his arm isn't a bowling ball. On the downward stroke he would create a small amount of upward lift. One the up stroke he would create a small amount of downward push. if there's wind coming from his flailing arms, he's pushing air therefore creating some equal and opposite reaction force, though canceling as the frequency increases and the force peaks become closer together.

Being a fat ass means he's affected more by gravity. It takes more thrust to get a C5 off the ground than to get a Cessna off the ground, because of weight. He doesn't need to accelerate down since he's on the ground, dipshit. You put him on ladder. Tie the marble to a quadcopter then tie the bowling ball, see which one gets lifted.

You really do try too hard to be impressive but your lack of common sense makes you look pedantic and trite, and stupid.

baseline bum
08-01-2020, 12:31 AM
his arm isn't a bowling ball. On the downward stroke he would create a small amount of upward lift. One the up stroke he would create a small amount of downward push. if there's wind coming from his flailing arms, he's pushing air therefore creating some equal and opposite reaction force, though canceling as the frequency increases and the force peaks become closer together.

Being a fat ass means he's affected more by gravity. It takes more thrust to get a C5 off the ground than to get a Cessna off the ground, because of weight. He doesn't need to accelerate down since he's on the ground, dipshit. You put him on ladder. Tie the marble to a quadcopter then tie the bowling ball, see which one gets lifted.

You really do try too hard to be impressive but your lack of common sense makes you look pedantic and trite, and stupid.

His arm is only moving two inches when he faps though.

DMC
08-01-2020, 12:35 AM
His arm is only moving two inches when he faps though.

Only his wrist or his sister's wrist.

DMC
08-01-2020, 12:39 AM
Helicopters get lift because the blade is basically a moving wing.
Jets get lift because they propel themselves horizontally and the air rushing over the nonmoving wing creates lift because it’s cambered just like the helicopter blade

you love getting yourself in messes

A little addition

A propeller is also basically a moving wing that gets the plane moving horizontally until the air rushes over the wings fast enough so that the wings give it lift up

:madrun

ElNono
08-01-2020, 12:49 AM
OP, if you attach a turbine to your ass, you probably will get lift... might not even need to flap, tbh

pgardn
08-01-2020, 12:52 PM

No he is NOT affected more by gravity. A bowling ball accelerates in free fall the same as a marble basically.
The Earth will attract him (the bowling ball) with a greater force, but because he has more inertia (a fat ass bowlling ball) he will accelerate down at the same rate as a marble.
This was a huge finding by Galileo and then explained by Newton. And its NOT common sense unless you know a tiny bit of physics, which you dont.

Lift is absolutely not created by the mechanism you describe. The downward stroke WOULD not give him lift. Lift is created by air moving over surfaces with different shapes, the cambered wing being the best example.

Keep going.
Common sense physics guy.
Display your ignorance again.

pgardn
08-01-2020, 12:55 PM
:madrun

Exactly how you should feel.
Why do you always stick your penis for brain in places you should not?
Bottom line is you dont know what the fck you are talking about.

Keep going.

SpursforSix
08-01-2020, 02:40 PM

But on the upward flap, I’m rotating my palms out.

SpursforSix
08-01-2020, 02:46 PM
No he is NOT affected more by gravity. A bowling ball accelerates in free fall the same as a marble basically.
The Earth will attract him (the bowling ball) with a greater force, but because he has more inertia (a fat ass bowlling ball) he will accelerate down at the same rate as a marble.
This was a huge finding by Galileo and then explained by Newton. And its NOT common sense unless you know a tiny bit of physics, which you dont.

Lift is absolutely not created by the mechanism you describe. The downward stroke WOULD not give him lift. Lift is created by air moving over surfaces with different shapes, the cambered wing being the best example.

Keep going.

That was one of the cooler things I learned in early physics. That a feather and bowling ball would hit the ground at the same time if dropped from the same height in a vacuum.

Also that regardless of lateral speed, gravity has the same effect. Can’t remember the exact law. But a bullet shot from a gun would hit the ground the same time as a dropped bullet. Assuming the gun was parallel to the ground. I suppose that would have to be in a vacuum to be exact.

spurraider21
08-01-2020, 04:29 PM

Keep going.
he's also assuming that the downward flap will have the same (or opposite) effect as the upward stroke such that they will negate one another, which isnt necessarily true

DMC
08-01-2020, 04:46 PM

Keep going.
Display your ignorance again.:lol
So the arm to hand doesn't have different shapes and flapping doesn't create air movement over the surfaces, so birds never get into the air via thrust, flapping their wings is useless and they only "fly" because of what you described. All else is fraud.

You're like a 1st year physics student fixated on terminology and blind to common sense.

Bowling ball/marble means shit if you're standing on the ground already. Heavier objects require more thrust to take off ergo more affected by gravity. Everyone knows 1st year physics (9th grade actually) so your physics ciphering doesn't impress.

You're a dumb ass. Pretty certain you're OCD and most likely bipolar.

DMC
08-01-2020, 04:49 PM
he's also assuming that the downward flap will have the same (or opposite) effect as the upward stroke such that they will negate one another, which isnt necessarily true

Not necessarily untrue either.

spurraider21
08-01-2020, 04:51 PM
Not necessarily untrue either.
true

DMC
08-01-2020, 04:52 PM

Then you just changed the equation. You could probably fly across a river but not a lake.

ElNono
08-01-2020, 04:52 PM
OP, are you going to be wearing you Beats Max Pro headphones during this exercise? If they're the wired version, make sure to unplug before trying to fly, tbh...

pgardn
08-01-2020, 05:21 PM
:lol
So the arm to hand doesn't have different shapes and flapping doesn't create air movement over the surfaces, so birds never get into the air via thrust, flapping their wings is useless and they only "fly" because of what you described. All else is fraud.

You're like a 1st year physics student fixated on terminology and blind to common sense.

Bowling ball/marble means shit if you're standing on the ground already. Heavier objects require more thrust to take off ergo more affected by gravity. Everyone knows 1st year physics (9th grade actually) so your physics ciphering doesn't impress.

You're a dumb ass. Pretty certain you're OCD and most likely bipolar.

"You're like a 1st year physics student fixated on terminology and blind to common sense." I am using the terms as they are used in physics.
You are the one relying on shit common sense that is actually not common sense as proven from experiments already mentioned.

Take birds first that dont fly well:
What do they do? Jump from a high point and then create lift because their wings have the ability to position themselves in which air flows over the top of the wing faster than the bottom creating lift. Take ducks taking off from ponds. The create "lift" fowardly in a complex stroke and then when they gain enough forward or horizontal speed theychange the orientation and shape tocreate real UPWARDS lift and can fly very long distances while gently balancing the upward lift against gravity to maintain a steady altitude.

Thrust is actually pushing mass backwards (exhaust gas) which by law the law of conservation of momentum drives the body of a jet forward or a rocket up.

Please keep going and proving the board you are a dumbass while calling me bipolar and OCD.
And wtf happen Ms Crutchfield, how come you can understand me now?
I dont need to google this shit, but if YOU did, you would stop. And you probably have which is why you descended into embarrassment which is understandable.

please Continue the fake shit. Just pull stuff out your ass, Im enjoying it.

pgardn
08-01-2020, 05:36 PM

Go to a cliff.
Jump.
Then position your hands in a cambered position, think of a glider with its top surface bulged out and the bottom more in.
Hope air flows faster over the top portion of your hand compared to the bottom.

If you have done all of the above and still crash down, you need much bigger hands, which you would.
Go back up and try again with larger hands. Or maybe use a hang glider.
And you really want to just give up on the flapping stuff thats quite difficult and uses tons of energy.
Dream of gliding smoothly, not flapping.

DMC will explain how airplanes flap their wings as the plane gains speed down the runway. Then he will tell you how the airplanes stop flapping their wings and just gently glide up. We have all seen airplanes flapping their wings. Hell, thats half the fun of flying. Then ask him about helicopters.

pgardn
08-01-2020, 05:38 PM
Please keep this thread alive DMC.

You are looking pretty.
Believe in yourself.

pgardn
08-01-2020, 05:50 PM
That was one of the cooler things I learned in early physics. That a feather and bowling ball would hit the ground at the same time if dropped from the same height in a vacuum.

Also that regardless of lateral speed, gravity has the same effect. Can’t remember the exact law. But a bullet shot from a gun would hit the ground the same time as a dropped bullet. Assuming the gun was parallel to the ground. I suppose that would have to be in a vacuum to be exact.

Exactly.
Just because you fire a bullet horizontally at a high speed, gravity does not all of the sudden just turn off. "Oh, that bulletis going too fast, I cant act on it" says the EArth. NO.
And yes air is a big problem, but the the experiment was actually very well done on the old show Mythbusters in I believe, in an airplane hangar.

But now here is the genius of Newton: He had already figured out this rule and he knew the Earth was round (unlike TGY). So theoretically if you could fire a bullet horizontally from a height on the round earth the faster you could shoot the bullet you would eventually reach a speed where it would never hit the Earth and just fall around it (again leaving out air as it becomes a very strong restive force at high speeds). We call this an orbit. Its fckn cool by my reckoning. These guys who thought all of this stuff hundreds of years back were amazing. We got people on the board that still cant understand what they did and they are living now. They got NASA to explain it all to them, but no... Common sense rules, whateverthefck that means. As the above makes more sense to me.

DMC
08-01-2020, 07:28 PM
"You're like a 1st year physics student fixated on terminology and blind to common sense." I am using the terms as they are used in physics.
You are the one relying on shit common sense that is actually not common sense as proven from experiments already mentioned.

Take birds first that dont fly well:
What do they do? Jump from a high point and then create lift because their wings have the ability to position themselves in which air flows over the top of the wing faster than the bottom creating lift. Take ducks taking off from ponds. The create "lift" fowardly in a complex stroke and then when they gain enough forward or horizontal speed theychange the orientation and shape tocreate real UPWARDS lift and can fly very long distances while gently balancing the upward lift against gravity to maintain a steady altitude.

Thrust is actually pushing mass backwards (exhaust gas) which by law the law of conservation of momentum drives the body of a jet forward or a rocket up.

Jesus dude, you're like RG with the entry level math shit. So ducks take flight by creating lift by what? Flapping their wings! Way to kick your own ass.

Wait, or is it that they wait for a strong wind to create lift and off they go, since flapping doesn't work.

Please keep going and proving the board you are a dumbass while calling me bipolar and OCD.
And wtf happen Ms Crutchfield, how come you can understand me now?
I dont need to google this shit, but if YOU did, you would stop. And you probably have which is why you descended into embarrassment which is understandable.

Pretty sure the sane on the board (loose term around here) know this is a satire thread. You're the only one tweaking off about rudimentary physics.

please Continue the fake shit. Just pull stuff out your ass, Im enjoying it.
You forgot the apostrophe in your "Im". It should be "I'm".

:lol internet physics warrior

DMC
08-01-2020, 07:34 PM
Go to a cliff.
Jump.
Then position your hands in a cambered position, think of a glider with its top surface bulged out and the bottom more in.
Hope air flows faster over the top portion of your hand compared to the bottom.

If you have done all of the above and still crash down, you need much bigger hands, which you would.
Go back up and try again with larger hands. Or maybe use a hang glider.
And you really want to just give up on the flapping stuff thats quite difficult and uses tons of energy.
Dream of gliding smoothly, not flapping.

DMC will explain how airplanes flap their wings as the plane gains speed down the runway. Then he will tell you how the airplanes stop flapping their wings and just gently glide up. We have all seen airplanes flapping their wings. Hell, thats half the fun of flying. Then ask him about helicopters.

https://sciencenode.org/img_2019/2019-05-13/hummingbird_and_robot.gif

pgardn
08-01-2020, 08:08 PM
Jesus dude, you're like RG with the entry level math shit. So ducks take flight by creating lift by what? Flapping their wings! Way to kick your own ass.

Wait, or is it that they wait for a strong wind to create lift and off they go, since flapping doesn't work.

Pretty sure the sane on the board (loose term around here) know this is a satire thread. You're the only one tweaking off about rudimentary physics.

You forgot the apostrophe in your "Im". It should be "I'm".

:lol internet physics warrior

You can create "lift" in ANY direction dumbass if you can change the orientation of a wing AND have air running over the wing at different speeds.
The only thing flapping does is run air over a wing that can change shape. It does not create an upward and downward force that cancel each other as you stated dumbass.

Ms. Crutchfield is back!
Im sure she is... Lose an argument in a painful fashion, default to spelling or anything else.

You saying SF6 flapping his arms would create upward and downward forces was idiotic.
Now you go into denial and distortion of what I have said, this is typical.
Im not a physicist. But its painfully obvious I understand science a hell of a lot better than you do.

And you have the gall to call me an internet warrior... oh Crutchfield, bend over and bark like a dog.

Keep going with this physics stuff though please.
Teach us your common sense.

pgardn
08-01-2020, 08:15 PM
Cool picture though, I just saw it.

I will now edit the above (underline) and show you exactly what I said about what you just showed.
And because you found this, I know you looked up the other stupid stuff you said, and what I said...
And then you tapped out.
Especially on the gravity stuff which was a blatant misunderstanding you had/have.

And try to concentrate on the bolded above.

MultiTroll
08-01-2020, 10:21 PM
Maybe you could get work as a drone.
With ad sponsorship.

Like Jergens.

SnakeBoy
08-03-2020, 02:41 PM
Flapping is the wrong way to go about it

https://media1.tenor.com/images/1d567268481accd8a8cd817e36a8bfc2/tenor.gif?itemid=3558178

SpursforSix
08-04-2020, 10:33 AM
Flapping is the wrong way to go about it

https://media1.tenor.com/images/1d567268481accd8a8cd817e36a8bfc2/tenor.gif?itemid=3558178

Uh...she's not getting any lift. So...

pgardn
08-04-2020, 01:39 PM

Oh, I think her red with golden boob holders top is serving its purpose.

SpursforSix
08-04-2020, 02:32 PM
Oh, I think her red with golden boob holders top is serving its purpose. Ha. Low key funny. 8/10

pgardn
08-04-2020, 09:27 PM
Ha. Low key funny. 8/10

bend over and I'll have you singing High key funny.

SpursforSix
08-04-2020, 10:39 PM
bend over and I'll have you singing High key funny.

2 joke average of 4/10

pgardn
08-05-2020, 08:51 AM
2 joke average of 4/10

Dammit.

The overuse of the "bend over" line sealed my expected demise.

SpursforSix
08-05-2020, 09:03 AM
Dammit.

The overuse of the "bend over" line sealed my expected demise.

If you were going to use it, the best spot was....

Bend over, I'll give you some fucking lift.

But then it wouldn't have allowed your first joke.

pgardn
08-05-2020, 09:54 AM
If you were going to use it, the best spot was....

Bend over, I'll give you some fucking lift.

But then it wouldn't have allowed your first joke.

Delivery, timing, cadence, intonation, its all too much for me via this medium of communication.
I do find myself wanting to use the word plow though.
And plow just does not fit with the theme of your desire to become aerodynamic.

... while moving your arms.

SpursforSix
08-05-2020, 10:03 AM
Delivery, timing, cadence, intonation, its all too much for me via this medium of communication.
I do find myself wanting to use the word plow though.
And plow just does not fit with the theme of your desire to become aerodynamic.

... while moving your arms.

I guess you could endeavor to create your own signature line using, "plow".

pgardn
08-05-2020, 10:38 PM
I guess you could endeavor to create your own signature line using, "plow".

btw you do realize you gave me a 0/10 for the bend over joke, that’s extraordinarily harsh imo. I may have to ask for a formal inquiry.

Im not sure how to property petition the most honorable panel though.

pgardn
08-06-2020, 08:17 AM
SF6

https://mobile.twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1290867644263014400

I don’t do the embed tweet things so I would like you to watch this and if it is not at least
9 .5 out of 10 I’m gonna have to ask you to step down as chairman
of humor.

SpursforSix
08-06-2020, 09:25 AM
btw you do realize you gave me a 0/10 for the bend over joke, that’s extraordinarily harsh imo. I may have to ask for a formal inquiry.

Im not sure how to property petition the most honorable panel though.

Yeah...I totally get the math.

pgardn
08-06-2020, 10:14 PM
a fckn zero...

christ.

phxspurfan
08-07-2020, 12:39 PM

free body diagram my homie. Your wings will never flap fast enough/the Earth air mix will never have the viscosity to exceed the downward gravitational force of your fat ass, especially just after those breakfast tacos.

SpursforSix
08-07-2020, 01:10 PM
free body diagram my homie. Your wings will never flap fast enough/the Earth air mix will never have the viscosity to exceed the downward gravitational force of your fat ass, especially just after those breakfast tacos.

I'm not sure why everyone here thinks I'm fat. I've pretty svelte. Plus, I said, "theoretically". Obviously, I can't flap my arms fast enough right now. But with some body modifications, maybe it's possible.
I'm just trying to figure out what to do in my spare time. If achieving flight is a possibility, then I might decide to not rewatch Downton Abbey. Or maybe I spend less time playing video games.

pgardn
08-07-2020, 01:13 PM
free body diagram my homie.

Holy crap.
somebody understands

pgardn
08-07-2020, 01:24 PM
I'm not sure why everyone here thinks I'm fat. I've pretty svelte. Plus, I said, "theoretically". Obviously, I can't flap my arms fast enough right now. But with some body modifications, maybe it's possible.
I'm just trying to figure out what to do in my spare time. If achieving flight is a possibility, then I might decide to not rewatch Downton Abbey. Or maybe I spend less time playing video games.

That picture DMC put up of the hummingbird and robot.
Thats what you will have to be able to do, cambering your arms at exactly the right interval of time in the arm stroke.
I say you sprint the 200 and merely hold you cambered arms out and take off. That would be much easier, especially considering your MS sprint times.
Now after you become airborne, you will have to learn a stroke that will require you to camber your arms at exactly the right time.

Or like the buzzard and albatross, you might just look for the right air currents. It would really be much easier if you had hollow bones and feathers. Might look to the fruit bat as the example of the largest mammal that actually flies for tips. You will have to grow skin between very enlarged finger bones though to act as your cambered wing instead of arms.

Tough proposition, Godspeed...

Chucho
08-07-2020, 02:55 PM
I'm not sure why everyone here thinks I'm fat.

Your terrible taste in audio gear.