PDA

View Full Version : Trump's Vaccine Chief Picks His Own Former Employer—Where He Still Holds Millions Worth of Stock—for $2.1 Billion Deal

RandomGuy
07-31-2020, 05:05 PM
I am shocked, shocked I say, to find gambling happening in this establishment.

-------------------------------------------

The White House on Friday awarded a record-breaking $2.1 billion contract for development of a Covid-19 vaccine, raising questions about a former pharmaceutical executive's involvement in the administration's decision.

The deal is for 100 million doses of a vaccine manufactured by Sanofi, a French drug maker, and its British partner GlaxoSmithKline (GSK).

As Fortune reported:

The deal follows billions of dollars of U.S. commitments to other experimental vaccines—all still needing to show their effectiveness in testing—and may stoke concerns that other countries will be left behind. Vaccines are seen as the key to leading the world out of the pandemic that has killed about 675,000 people in a matter of months.

Dr. Moncef Slaoui, a former GSK executive, is head of the White House's Operation Warp Speed, the administration's program to develop and disburse an effective coronavirus vaccine. Slaoui's connection to his former company has been the focus of concern from advocacy groups and politicians skeptical of his claims of neutrality.

According to the New York Times:

Dr. Slaoui is not a federal employee, instead working under a $1 contract that exempts him from federal rules that would require him to list his outside positions, stock holdings and other potential conflicts. Dr. Slaoui said in an interview in May that he was determined to avoid any conflicts of interest, but that his GSK stock represented his retirement from 29 years at the company, and that he had told federal officials he would not take the job if he had to sell it.

============================

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/07/31/trumps-vaccine-chief-picks-his-own-former-employer-where-he-still-holds-millions

hater
07-31-2020, 05:16 PM
"We will drain the swamp and it will be a beautiful sight to see"

Retards: "yeahhhhh!!!!!"

boutons_deux
07-31-2020, 06:02 PM
Trash throwing $Bs at many companies, hoping one of them has an "October Surprise" C19 vaccine that Trash can claim as his own, thinking that would be enough to be re-elected.

Trash's sycophants at FDA will approve some shit, like 50% effective, that a bona fide FDA wouldn't touch.

CosmicCowboy
07-31-2020, 06:08 PM
That's $20 per dose.

How much is a life worth?

Winehole23
07-31-2020, 06:25 PM
That's $20 per dose.

How much is a life worth?it certainly wouldn't be fair to ask a company to provide a vaccine for an historic pandemic at cost, would it?

TSA
07-31-2020, 06:31 PM
I am shocked, shocked I say, to find gambling happening in this establishment.

-------------------------------------------

The White House on Friday awarded a record-breaking $2.1 billion contract for development of a Covid-19 vaccine, raising questions about a former pharmaceutical executive's involvement in the administration's decision.

The deal is for 100 million doses of a vaccine manufactured by Sanofi, a French drug maker, and its British partner GlaxoSmithKline (GSK).

As Fortune reported:

The deal follows billions of dollars of U.S. commitments to other experimental vaccines—all still needing to show their effectiveness in testing—and may stoke concerns that other countries will be left behind. Vaccines are seen as the key to leading the world out of the pandemic that has killed about 675,000 people in a matter of months.

Dr. Moncef Slaoui, a former GSK executive, is head of the White House's Operation Warp Speed, the administration's program to develop and disburse an effective coronavirus vaccine. Slaoui's connection to his former company has been the focus of concern from advocacy groups and politicians skeptical of his claims of neutrality.

According to the New York Times:

Dr. Slaoui is not a federal employee, instead working under a $1 contract that exempts him from federal rules that would require him to list his outside positions, stock holdings and other potential conflicts. Dr. Slaoui said in an interview in May that he was determined to avoid any conflicts of interest, but that his GSK stock represented his retirement from 29 years at the company, and that he had told federal officials he would not take the job if he had to sell it.

============================

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/07/31/trumps-vaccine-chief-picks-his-own-former-employer-where-he-still-holds-millions

“The deal follows billions of dollars of U.S. commitments to other experimental vaccines”

CosmicCowboy
07-31-2020, 06:32 PM
it certainly wouldn't be fair to ask a company to provide a vaccine for an historic pandemic at cost, would it?

Are you an expert on pharmaceutical cost? I'd damn sure pay $20 for a vaccine.

DarrinS
07-31-2020, 06:34 PM
it certainly wouldn't be fair to ask a company to provide a vaccine for an historic pandemic at cost, would it?

You paid $130 for a negative test

CosmicCowboy
“The deal follows billions of dollars of U.S. commitments to other experimental vaccines”

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. A year from now you would be whining that they didn't spent enough on research if we didnt have a vaccine.

Winehole23
Are you an expert on pharmaceutical cost? I'd damn sure pay $20 for a vaccine.Not at all. I presume any loss if loss there be will be publicly subsidized. It would only be fair.

ducks
07-31-2020, 06:48 PM
Dude just allow the drug that already works!

RandomGuy
08-03-2020, 09:13 AM

"The deal is another example of naked self-dealing and corruption, endemic to this administration"

RandomGuy
08-03-2020, 09:14 AM
That's $20 per dose.

How much is a life worth?

How much is a non-corrupt contract awarding process worth?

Winehole23
08-03-2020, 09:23 AM
Dude just allow the drug that already works!Hold your horses, the vaccine hasn't even been made yet!

koriwhat
08-03-2020, 10:25 AM
You paid $130 for a negative test

lmao :tu

Winehole23
08-03-2020, 10:29 AM
You paid $130 for a negative testI'm glad I did. Technically, my insurance paid.

spurraider21
08-03-2020, 10:52 AM
Hold your horses, the vaccine hasn't even been made yet!
He’s quacking about hcq

Winehole23
08-03-2020, 10:55 AM
He’s quacking about hcqmakes sense. it was hard to tell contextually, his post immediately followed my exchange with CC about vaccines.

spurraider21
08-03-2020, 10:57 AM
makes sense. it was hard to tell contextually, his post immediately followed my exchange with CC about vaccines.
Not like ducks is ever the type who could follow a train of thought

boutons_deux
08-03-2020, 10:59 AM
Vaccine project contract raises transparency questions

Executives with pharma ties are exempt from disclosing conflicts.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/31/vaccine-project-contract-raises-transparency-questions-389822 (https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/31/vaccine-project-contract-raises-transparency-questions-389822)

Winehole23
08-03-2020, 11:02 AM
Vaccine project contract raises transparency questions

Executives with pharma ties are exempt from disclosing conflicts.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/31/vaccine-project-contract-raises-transparency-questions-389822 (https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/31/vaccine-project-contract-raises-transparency-questions-389822)PESKY RED TAPE

Will Hunting
08-03-2020, 11:07 AM
Meh, doesn’t bother me too much unless this was a no bid contract in which case Id have an issue with it. If the company can mass produce the vaccine on an expedited basis then $2.1 billion is a small price to pay given the damage this virus has done to our economy.

Winehole23
08-03-2020, 11:24 AM
Meh, doesn’t bother me too much unless this was a no bid contract in which case Id have an issue with it. If the company can mass produce the vaccine on an expedited basis then $2.1 billion is a small price to pay given the damage this virus has done to our economy.There might be downsides to moving too quickly or offering up the American people to be phase III of the vaccine trial

A failed vaccine, for example, would be a pretty big price to pay for undue haste. Can't imagine people would be as willing to get it the second time around.

https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/here-s-why-we-can-t-rush-covid-19-vaccine
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/02/us/politics/coronavirus-vaccine.html
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-risks-of-rushing-a-covid-19-vaccine/

Winehole23
08-03-2020, 11:33 AM
not on my 2020 bingo card on Jan 1

There might be downsides to moving too quickly or offering up the American people to be phase III of the vaccine trial

Winehole23
08-03-2020, 11:39 AM
^^^hopefully, to be cured.

getting slaughtered to no good end on the literal altar of pharmaceutical profits is a predictable outcome too..

boutons_deux
08-03-2020, 12:37 PM
"...the damage this virus has done to our economy."

The economy was damaged by The Trump-Made Pandemic, not the virus.

ie, see other countries doing much better, even Canada.

Winehole23
08-03-2020, 12:41 PM
take a big chance, don't fuck up

DMC
08-03-2020, 12:56 PM

No

Winehole23
08-03-2020, 12:58 PM
Nowhat this "fair" thing you're always banging on about?