PDA

View Full Version : LA Daily News: Jazz offer MAX to Maggette. (WTF?)

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 06:31 AM
www.dailynews.com/Stories...27,00.html (http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~20955~1512627,00.html)

Maggette, Miller to test Clippers

By Joe Stevens
Staff Writer
Los Angeles Daily News

Whether it has been Clippers general manager Elgin Baylor or executive vice president Andy Roeser, the Clippers have repeatedly said they will match any offer sheet any of their players receives. On Wednesday, that premise will be tested.

Corey Maggette has agreed to sign an offer sheet with the Utah Jazz, and Andre Miller has agreed to sign an offer sheet with the Denver Nuggets, according to multiple sources in the NBA who refused to be identified Monday.

The two are prohibited from signing offer sheets until the free-agent signing period starts Wednesday. However, each has agreed orally to the deals.

Because Maggette and Miller are restricted free agents, the Clippers have the right to match the offers the two receive and keep the players. The team will have 15 days from Wednesday to match the offers.

Maggette's offer sheet is expected to be a maximum deal for six years and about $78 million. If the contract indeed is for the maximum, it will be a surprise because the shooting guard was not expected to lure such a lucrative deal this offseason. The Denver Nuggets met with him last week and reportedly offered him a six-year, $42 million deal.

Miller is expected to sign a six-year, $55 million deal with the Nuggets.

It also is a surprise where Maggette and Miller are signing. Throughout the summer, most speculation had Miller heading to Utah and Maggette going to Denver.

The speculation was fueled by Maggette's closeness to Denver assistant general manager Jeff Weltman, who was the Clippers' director of player personnel when the team acquired him. With point guard John Stockton retiring, Miller appeared to be a fit as a point guard in Utah, where he played college basketball.

Baylor and Roeser did not comment on the possibility of matching Maggette and Miller's contracts Monday.

But last week, Baylor said: "The one message that has been delivered across the board is that we want to keep this group of players on our team, and we will make the effort to do that. We know that the players will explore their options, and we respect their rights to do so. But as we have stated consistently, we don't envision an offer sheet that we wouldn't match."

Roeser, too, has been clear about the Clippers' plan to match offer sheets.

Last week, Roeser said: "We've said all along that we like our players and would like to re-sign them. That's what we intend to do."

The Clippers have two other restricted free agents, Elton Brand and Lamar Odom. One NBA source said Monday there is a chance the San Antonio Spurs will give Brand an offer sheet, but he might not sign it. The Clippers have offered Brand a five-year, $65 million contract, but it is uncertain whether he will accept it.

The Clippers also have four unrestricted free agents, including Michael Olowokandi. Though it had appeared Olowokandi was certain to leave the team, it is not absolute. The Clippers and his agent are expected to meet today, but Olowokandi already has had serious discussions with several teams.

Dunleavy's staff expands: NBA veteran assistant coaches Jim Eyen and Kim Hughes will be hired by the Clippers to join Mike Dunleavy's staff, a source close to the coach confirmed Monday on the condition of not being identified.

Eyen got his start with the Clippers in the 1988-89 season as an assistant under Don Casey. He went on to coach under Dunleavy with the Lakers, Milwaukee Bucks and Portland Trail Blazers and spent the past season as a scout with the New York Knicks.

Though the source said Eyen and Hughes' hiring was a "done deal," Eyen said it was not finalized. He declined to comment on his potential hiring.

"I can say that the Clippers made the perfect choice by hiring Mike," Eyen said from his home in Portland, Ore. "He is a great basketball mind. He's coached all different types of players in different situations, from veteran teams to rebuilding teams. He's done it all."

Eyen will be considered the team's top assistant. Hughes is a former NBA player who has been an assistant coach with the Denver Nuggets.

One more assistant coach is expected to be added. It is unlikely it will be a carry-over from the Clippers' coaching staff this season.

Joe Stevens, (562) 499-1338 [email protected]

KoriEllis
07-15-2003, 06:34 AM
Damn, talk about overpaying.

There's no way Sterling matches that!

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 06:41 AM
This might not be good for Brand coming to SA. I have a feeling that this was due to Maggette and Brand being some sort of package deal. Of course I could be wrong and the Jazz simply F'ed up bigtime.

MannyIsGod
07-15-2003, 08:25 AM
gaaaaaaaahdamn. Magette better be the next mcgrady for that price.

IcemanCometh
07-15-2003, 08:39 AM
maybe the jazz know something we don't, or rather you don't.

IcemanCometh
07-15-2003, 08:44 AM
Its quite simple, the jazz have every confidence that maggette can become a 20+ ppg scorer. Normaly he could be had cheaper but since hes restricted theres teh chance that if you underpay for him the clippers will match. So if you believe he will become a max type player then you pay the max for him now to get him.

smackdaddy11
07-15-2003, 09:11 AM
IF Maggette and Brand want to play together, the Jazz still have room to now ofer Brand a max deal.

I don't like this. :(

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-15-2003, 09:34 AM
the other way to look at it is that between Miller and Maggette thats 133 million in salary committment if Sterling matches. If Brand and Odom sign offer sheets also Sterlings committment will end up being in the 250-300 million range. If Sterling actually does that it will be totally unprecedented and incredibly out of character.

Jimcs50
07-15-2003, 10:49 AM
Bow down to the higher mind people!!! I told you all along that Maggette is better than Odom, and this contract proves my point. I have watched this kid since his one year at Duke and he is going to be a special special player. Look for him to be a 20/5/5 player this year. The Spurs would have been lucky to get this stud on their team, now they have to play against him 4 times a year.:(

Ghost Writer
07-15-2003, 11:09 AM
With Miller and Maggette leaving, what makes you think Sterling won't at least re-up Brand and Odom now?

Question.

:cooldevil

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2003, 11:12 AM
I guess you missed this article, Ghost:

pub237.ezboard.com/ffulls...3980.topic (http://pub237.ezboard.com/ffullsportpressfrm7.showMessage?topicID=3980.topic )

MannyIsGod
07-15-2003, 11:14 AM
Hey what was shawn bradleys first contract?

Or maybe Bryant Reeves?

How much does Alan Houston make?

Contracts mean shit as far as a players skill. The Jazz as desprate to not let it be matched, that is all.

Oh well, sucks for Utah.

Jimcs50
07-15-2003, 11:18 AM
Manny, I will bet you that Maggette scores at least 4 more points per game than Odom this year and shoots a higher FT and FG %.

MannyIsGod
07-15-2003, 11:20 AM
No Jim, but I will bet you that odom has a higher efficency rating and has an overall better year.

Jimcs50
07-15-2003, 11:24 AM
If you score more pts, shoot a higher % from the floor and the stripe, that is efficient enough for me.

MannyIsGod
07-15-2003, 11:26 AM
That kind of straight up comparison doesn't take into account what type of team they are playing on, and what role they ahve on that team.

Maggette on utah would score more points than say Odom on the spurs. He's the number one option there.

Jerry Stackhouse scores a shitload, I don't; consider him a very good player.

Jimcs50
07-15-2003, 11:30 AM
Stackhouse does not shoot a high %(40%) like Maggette(45%). If you shoot a high %, get to the FT line and score points, you are helping you team in many ways. You are getting opponents in foul trouble because you are getting to the FT line, you are making all the possessions count when you score in the 45+% range and you are making opponents double you because you are capable of going off on any given night. Maggette is capable of scoring 40 on you and will on occasion. I have watched this kid many times, believe me in what I am saying here. The Spurs missed the boat IMO.

MannyIsGod
07-15-2003, 11:33 AM
Jim, then all fo that will show up in the efficency ratings.

We'll see, I'm not sold on the kid as a top 10 player in this leauge, and to me, he's not worth the max.

I didn't think Tracey McGrady was worht the max and I now call him the best 2 guard in the game.

We'll See.

Ghost Writer
07-15-2003, 11:38 AM
Marcus, we both want the same thing — for the Spurs to pass on Rasho and call Sterling's bluff. I fear they won't and that "safe" decision could turn the Spurs in a perennial bridesmaid.

Raso is not worth passing on Brand.

:cooldevil

Jimcs50
07-15-2003, 11:39 AM
Please don't mistake my admiration of Maggette for placing him in TMac's category Manny. I would say that Maggette will be a pro in the same stature as say a Jeff Hornicek, a real nice player than can change a defense and win you some games.

Jimcs50
07-15-2003, 11:43 AM
Ghost, are you completly daft???? Do you not think that there are 27 other teams out there that would love to trade all their players with SA???? Bridesmaids??? We have won 2 of the last 5 championships and we have all our key players back from last year except one, who was only a small part of their success last year. 3 of our players are young and still not even close to their potential, and now we have another 7 footer coming in to shore up our frontline who can score, reb, and play some D. I will bet you right now that the Spurs will win as many games as they did last year.

MannyIsGod
07-15-2003, 11:46 AM
Exactly Jim.

Which team other than the Lakers is scary?

Seriously?

NONE.

The Lakers however are only a one year thing.

I feel that ghost will not be happy Untill we field a superstar ladden lineup like the Blazers.

Talk about a team thats a barely a guest to the wedding.

NCaliSpurs
07-15-2003, 11:56 AM
Magette is way overrated.

Statistically, he was only better than SJax because he took more shots. He rebounds a little more (1.4 per game) but plays a little more too.

Mags shoots 35% from the 3pt line and SJacks shoots 32%.

While he does get to the line more, I think that he is not worth anywhere near max.

IMO we are either undervaluing SJacks or we are extremely over-valuing Mags.

Jimcs50
07-15-2003, 12:06 PM
Maggette shoots 45% from the floor...high for a guard.Also, he did not have TD down low getting all the attention and therefore did not have near the open looks from downtown that Jax had....Yes?