PDA

View Full Version : Three things that are holding the team back the most

8FOR!3
08-06-2020, 02:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2QCgeP7CQs

The Spurs lack size, an athletic true wing. They lack shooting, notably good defensive players in the rotation that can shoot outside of White. And the young guys don't have much experience because they haven't been playing consistently all season until just recently.

What are your guys thoughts on the draft?

spurspl
08-06-2020, 02:55 PM
pop, pop aaand murray

Spurtacular
08-06-2020, 04:16 PM
Poop
Poop's pets
More Poop

8FOR!3
08-06-2020, 04:26 PM
If we’re being serious I think Brian Wright deserves some blame for us not having an athletic true wing with some size. Pop definitely can be blamed for the rest of it

Dingle Barry
08-06-2020, 06:35 PM
White and KJ are the 2 and 3 of the future and their size is fine. I have a lot of hope for #Metu at the 4, although he's certainly not a sure thing.

More than anything else, we need a better PG who can regularly hit the 3 and create offense. A better rebounding and defensive option at C would be nice too.

Dingle Barry
08-06-2020, 06:40 PM
If we’re being serious I think Brian Wright deserves some blame for us not having an athletic true wing with some size. Pop definitely can be blamed for the rest of it

Can you please define what you mean by "true wing" and what their size needs to be?

Genovaswitness
08-06-2020, 06:51 PM
poop, RC, Derrick white, DDR/LMA

8FOR!3
08-06-2020, 07:40 PM
Can you please define what you mean by "true wing" and what their size needs to be?

An example would be, Keldon Johnson is built like a wing, but he's only 6'5. He can't really guard Michael Porter Jr. Someone Rudy Gay's size is more equipment to defend MPJ, he just isn't a good enough defender and doesn't move his feet well laterally anymore. Specifically I would say we need a player 6'7-6'10 who is athletic enough to play small forward or power forward.

I guess my point was, Keldon Johnson is kind of a wing but he is too small to guard the taller wings like MPJ/Isaac/Durant. DeRozan is also kind of a wing, kind of a guard, but not a good defender.

KobesAchilles
08-07-2020, 12:35 AM
Lack of an athletic 6'8 SF, really bad roster construction, and no cap room to fix it

alpha_HaZE
08-07-2020, 01:11 AM
The things that are holding the team back are; Jakob, Jakob, and Jakob!

First it was Jakob who gets in foul trouble, and manages to play only 13 minutes against a big Memphis team, that takes a tow on the playes that have to play again the next day.

Second it was Jacob was abused by a big (again), got into foul trouble (again), but could have won the game for us in the very last possesion. All he had to do is make an easy bucket. And W T F he was doing there clogging the paint for DeMar to begin with??? In that game he had four points and four rebounds, that's ridiculous.

Then this last game against Nuggets, Jokic feasts on him and does not even score four points.

In contrast, Nurk made sure that Malone dif not play Jokic a single minute in the fourth; why have him take that beating on both sides of the flour, those games are not that important for Nuggets.

If Jakob was playing at Drew level we would be undefeated.

duncan2150
08-07-2020, 05:43 AM
This team need an athletic 3/4 and also a 4/5.

Hope we can have it with the draft.

BackHome
08-07-2020, 11:14 AM
BINGO - Totally agree with you I am crossing my fingers Poop and RC get their heads out of there ass and start working the phones and make some trades to help with the rebuild.

dbestpro
08-07-2020, 11:18 AM
1. Defense.
2. Defense.
3. Defense.

cjw
08-07-2020, 11:35 AM
Lack of an athletic 6'8 SF, really bad roster construction, and no cap room to fix it

Morris and a properly utilized Demarre Carroll would have been nice. One backing out and the other being up utilized and then quitting the team set things back this year.

The MLE has basically been a waste for years outside of Rudy Gay.

B1gduff
08-07-2020, 12:08 PM
We truly lack that 6'8 6'9 wing plsyer with a good wing span. Luckily for us, in this years draft there are a few players that fit this size and actually play defense.

Dingle Barry
08-07-2020, 12:23 PM
Mute Cancer really fucked this roster up. Hot take, I know, but I'm still struggling with what could have been.

Dejounte
08-07-2020, 12:45 PM
We truly lack that 6'8 6'9 wing plsyer with a good wing span. Luckily for us, in this years draft there are a few players that fit this size and actually play defense.

Which players? Long and tall players in our draft range are garbage.

RC_Drunkford
08-07-2020, 01:11 PM
Flopovich
Flopovich
Bryn Forbes

BackHome
08-07-2020, 01:11 PM
1. We have no identity
2. We are a terrible defensive team
3. No Position Structure
4. Poop and RC keeping terrible players way to long

Chinook
08-07-2020, 01:18 PM
Mute Cancer really fucked this roster up. Hot take, I know, but I'm still struggling with what could have been.

Nah. What messed up the roster is Pop not prioritizing SFs in the trade and then letting his best defensive wings go. A bunch of teams offered forwards and picks for Leonard, and Pop declined. I get that he wanted Simmons, and honestly Philly should have done that deal. But considering how much the players got in subsequent trades, the Spurs made a huge mistake not accepting 10, Covington and Saric or 12 (and 13) and Harris. Obviously the Toronto trade could've been way fairer too, but that's been harped on to death.

Mugen
08-07-2020, 01:43 PM
I mean there's a clear #1 and about 12 other items that are tied for #2 tbh. :lol

tim_duncan_fan
08-07-2020, 09:46 PM
This team is waaay too short. Dudes sometimes mention Keldon at the 3, but he is short for a 3 as well, despite everything else about him being pretty good.

Another thing holding the two of them, and therefore the team, back is Jakob's and Lonnie's insistence on playing below the rim in spite of their physical gifts. Just pants-on-head retarded. Lonnie just flat out doesn't know how to use his athleticism to be honest. Can't finish at the rim in even the lightest traffic. Both of them need to start dunking on people.

ace3g
08-07-2020, 09:59 PM
Mentioned it a few times time but it would have been interesting to see bubble roster with Lyles- would have balanced the rotations and given us an additional PF.

SL: Dejounte, White, DeRozan, Lyles, Poeltl

Bench: Patty (Quinn), Walker, Keldon, Gay, Eubanks

But yes - we are still too small- need more true SFs and mobile PFs

Don't bring back Forbes and Beli

Trade one or both of DeRozan and Aldridge

GAustex
08-07-2020, 10:14 PM
Morris and a properly utilized Demarre Carroll would have been nice. One backing out and the other being up utilized and then quitting the team set things back this year.

The MLE has basically been a waste for years outside of Rudy Gay.
poop got played by Morris and poop is a senile drunk dumb ass for signing broke down can’t jump can’t run can’t play no more tin man DeMarre Carroll

Capt Bringdown
08-07-2020, 10:24 PM
Forbes, LMA & Murray

Coach X
08-08-2020, 05:00 PM
1. Defense.
2. Defense.
3. Defense.
And I'll add

4 Basketball IQ
5 Toughness

DAF86
08-08-2020, 05:07 PM

If you are going be a forward, at the very least 6'7". 6'8" or 6'9" would be ideal.

DAF86
08-08-2020, 05:18 PM
Nah. What messed up the roster is Pop not prioritizing SFs in the trade and then letting his best defensive wings go. A bunch of teams offered forwards and picks for Leonard, and Pop declined. I get that he wanted Simmons, and honestly Philly should have done that deal. But considering how much the players got in subsequent trades, the Spurs made a huge mistake not accepting 10, Covington and Saric or 12 (and 13) and Harris. Obviously the Toronto trade could've been way fairer too, but that's been harped on to death.

It's incredible how bad PATFO fucked that trade up. They set us back many years with that decision. With that Clippers trade we would be looking at a very exciting next season.

Alexander, Porter Jr., White, Keldon, Walker, Murray, Poeltl, Covington, Harris.

Alexander
White
Covington
Porter Jr
Poeltl

Murray
Walker
Keldon
Harris
Eubanks

Probably one of them wouldn't be here, but you get the picture.

This wasn't even a hindsight thing. Every Spur fan knew back then that the Clippers trade >>>>>> the Toronto one.

exstatic
08-08-2020, 05:20 PM
Forbes
Beli
DD

exstatic
08-08-2020, 05:24 PM
It's incredible how bad PATFO fucked that trade up. They set us back many years with that decision. With that Clippers trade we would be looking at a very exciting next season.

Alexander, Porter Jr., White, Keldon, Walker, Murray, Poeltl, Covington, Harris.

Alexander
White
Covington
Porter Jr
Poeltl

Murray
Walker
Keldon
Harris
Eubanks

This wasn't even a hindsight thing. Every Spur fan knew back then that the Clippers trade >>>>>> the Toronto one.
If you’re implying that the clippers were offering both first rounders, they weren’t. They knew what the score was.

Kurgan
08-08-2020, 05:28 PM

Alexander
White
Covington
Porter Jr
Poeltl

Murray
Walker
Keldon
Harris
Eubanks

Worst trade in NBA history if Keldon doesn't pan out. It's like the Spurs chose to intentionally devolve..trading away two modern wings for a mid-2000s shooting guard(one way mid ranger shooter) and a mid-2000s defensive anchor(no offense, no shooting to stretch the floor). The 2020 Spurs team that Buford and Wright put together might have been good in 2001 but makes no sense in the present era.