PDA

View Full Version : Extend White ASAP How much Is he worth?

smush
08-07-2020, 12:21 PM
As soon as season is over I would offer 4 years for 50 million.

cd021
08-07-2020, 12:23 PM
4 years, $60 million tbh.

phxspurfan
08-07-2020, 12:29 PM
He won't be asking for less than what Murray is making.

r0drig0lac
08-07-2020, 12:30 PM
54/3

EasyMoney
08-07-2020, 12:30 PM
If dj gets $64 then white deserves $80

spurspl
08-07-2020, 12:33 PM
spurs are screwed if he ask more than murray got (probably he will). so yeah, thanks to all who gave murray this contract. There will be two overpaid players in spurs. Great rebuild

Dejounte
08-07-2020, 12:37 PM
However much a 20/5/5 player is worth

Collins21
08-07-2020, 12:38 PM
spurs are screwed if he ask more than murray got (probably he will). so yeah, thanks to all who gave murray this contract. There will be two overpaid players in spurs. Great rebuild

Nah White won't be overpaid the dude is showing you he can play and his worth more than Murray but really all you do is hate. You confused me when you said Josh Jackson was better.

spurspl
08-07-2020, 12:40 PM
Nah White won't be overpaid the dude is showing you he can play and his worth more than Murray but really all you do is hate. You confused me when you said Josh Jackson was better.

im not hating but telling the truth. Yea white >murray and white should be paid more, sth around murrays contract. But now, if whites agent are smart the will be asking for sth like 80-90/4

Collins21
08-07-2020, 12:46 PM
im not hating but telling the truth. Yea white >murray and white should be paid more, sth around murrays contract. But now, if whites agent are smart the will be asking for sth like 80-90/4

You're hating by saying paying White 80 million is an overpay. White is playing like a top 10 pick n his draft class and that's what atop 10 pick in their draft class would get on an extension.

smush
08-07-2020, 12:56 PM
Good points on him not asking for less than Murray. Maybe go 4/70.

spurspl
08-07-2020, 01:11 PM
You're hating by saying paying White 80 million is an overpay. White is playing like a top 10 pick n his draft class and that's what atop 10 pick in their draft class would get on an extension.
for example: oladipo 85/4
imo 60/4 for white
and 45/4 for murray, that would be a fair price

Collins21
08-07-2020, 01:12 PM
for example: oladipo 85/4
imo 60/4 for white
and 45/4 for murray, that would be a fair price

Hey if White signed for 60 I'd be happy but if they gave him 80 after giving the less talented Murray 65 I''d understand that too.

Chinook
08-07-2020, 01:14 PM
It's a less generous market right now. I don't think White will get a raise beyond what Murray gets. I don't see a reason why the team shouldn't wait until next year to pay Derrick anyway. If anything this should be a cautionary tale to not extend rookie-contract players. Best-case scenario for the Spurs is that they draft an instant-impact player and make a decent run next year and go into the 2021 free-agent market as a team with tons of cap space and a good cast of guy locked into deals. That's harder if White already counts for his contract rather than his (albeit inflated) cap hold.

cjw
08-07-2020, 02:32 PM
It's a less generous market right now. I don't think White will get a raise beyond what Murray gets. I don't see a reason why the team shouldn't wait until next year to pay Derrick anyway. If anything this should be a cautionary tale to not extend rookie-contract players. Best-case scenario for the Spurs is that they draft an instant-impact player and make a decent run next year and go into the 2021 free-agent market as a team with tons of cap space and a good cast of guy locked into deals. That's harder if White already counts for his contract rather than his (albeit inflated) cap hold.

Beat me to it. There’s a chance they don’t extend IF they’re planning on using space in the summer of 2021 with Aldridge and Demar off the books.

But if the front office thinks it’s a buyer’s market and able to extend him below market because of outside circumstances, you do it every time.

kht
08-07-2020, 02:33 PM
50mill/4year is a lowball lol. 70-80/4 year

DAF86
08-07-2020, 02:39 PM
The best player on the team. Been saying it for a while. If they resign him right now, they might be able to get him for what Murray got.

FkLA
08-07-2020, 02:41 PM
Supermax imo

Seventyniner
08-07-2020, 02:46 PM

Agreed. Basically the same reason they held off a year on Number Two's max extension.

8sy21vd
08-07-2020, 02:47 PM
Sad White pre-COVID had to mostly come off the bench with Forbes starting and Mills getting more run them him lol. Pop neutered him but he's got that aggressiveness and coincidence going. Got to get rid of Demar or LA for next season though to max his effectiveness. Murray like most say here needs to develop into a Danny role; just doesn't have the temperament and skill set to be a point although he could be a really good player in the right role.

8sy21vd
08-07-2020, 02:48 PM
Supermax imo

I hope his uncle isn't his agent lol

exstatic
08-07-2020, 02:52 PM

Uh, the Spurs extended Dejounte last fall, and the cap figure was coming in at $109M. The cap figure for next year will be $109M

phxspurfan
08-07-2020, 02:55 PM
Sad White pre-COVID had to mostly come off the bench with Forbes starting and Mills getting more run them him lol. Pop neutered him but he's got that aggressiveness and coincidence going. Got to get rid of Demar or LA for next season though to max his effectiveness. Murray like most say here needs to develop into a Danny role; just doesn't have the temperament and skill set to be a point although he could be a really good player in the right role.

On a team like Orlando/Brooklyn/Washington/Phoenix where he could just run up and down the floor like a gazelle jacking up shots with no discipline or hope to win the game, he would look better. In a system as structured as the Spurs, with so much accountability and highlighting specific skills (rotations, communication, running set plays or specific motions, distribution, spacing, shooting percentage, limited PT, making the right passes on time), he sucks ass pretty much and bogs down the offense with poor timing (sadly).

Chinook
08-07-2020, 02:57 PM
Uh, the Spurs extended Dejounte last fall, and the cap figure was coming in at $109M. The cap figure for next year will be $109M

I don't get your point. Murray was signed back when the NBA realistically expected their cap to increase for the next few years. Now they're talking about the cap being artificially held UP at the same level and the subsequent years taking the hit, and that's not even considering that this Corona stuff isn't going away, or at least the effects of it on the psyche of sports fans isn't.

SpurSpike
08-07-2020, 03:00 PM
Spurs payed Murray based on his potential ceiling. White is a more refined player and arguably at his ceiling now so i believe a similar deal is fair.

exstatic
08-07-2020, 03:00 PM
I think a lot has to do with where they draft. If the draw a good pick, top 2 or 3, pay the already developed youngsters, and roll the dice that the high lottery pick can develop into your franchise guy, and to hell with the 21 cap room. If you draft at 11, maybe hold off on White until next summer, and wade into the FA market with gusto.

DAF86
08-07-2020, 03:02 PM
Spurs payed Murray based on his potential ceiling. White is a more refined player and arguably at his ceiling now so i believe a similar deal is fair.

Nah, if only from experience and confidence his ceiling will grow exponentially. He's nowhere close his ceiling.

BillMc
08-07-2020, 03:05 PM
White will probably only get 1 new contract in his physical prime. He has to make his money now being an older player for a rookie contract. I'd think he'd be less willing to take a smaller salary. DJ is younger and was coming off an injury, White is older and healthy. I'd expect his agent to push for more. Whether he gets it is another thing. He deserves it though.

spurspl
08-07-2020, 03:05 PM

why do u think that white is at his ceiling now? bc what i see is white playing better and better in every game while djm is still the same or even slighltly worse...

SpurSpike
08-07-2020, 03:15 PM
Perhaps white is not at his ceiling but he is playing very very well. I guess what i meant is that White is playing at the level the Spurs probably expect Murray to play in the future when he finally starts to realize his potential. So a similar deal wouldn't be a stretch, maybe pay him a few million more since they aren't gambling with his development like they did with Murray.

FkLA
08-07-2020, 04:01 PM
Nah, if only from experience and confidence his ceiling will grow exponentially. He's nowhere close his ceiling.

Even if he was, 20-5-5 and an absolute beast on defense is worth more than 4 yrs/$60 mill, tbh.

tmtcsc
08-07-2020, 04:05 PM
White & Johnson are worth more than Murray & Walker. The latter 2 guys need to get their shit together or SA just needs to move them. Murray for sure. He is who I thought he was. ALL TALK and SELFIES.

DAF86
08-07-2020, 04:34 PM
Even if he was, 20-5-5 and an absolute beast on defense is worth more than 4 yrs/$60 mill, tbh.

Shhh, don't say it too loud. The less we have to pay him, the better to make up for what we overpaid for Instagramballer.

TXstbobcat
08-07-2020, 04:37 PM
4 years/$80 million

MannyIsGod
08-07-2020, 05:00 PM

Show me the players at White's age that have shown dramatic improvement? I can think of a couple but that's it. He's likely near his ceiling.

DAF86
08-07-2020, 05:04 PM
Show me the players at White's age that have shown dramatic improvement? I can think of a couple but that's it. He's likely near his ceiling.

Age has little to do here. Experience, time in the league and role play a much bigger part here. If White takes the confidence gained from this bubble mini-tournment, and Pop mantains his role as a primary playmaker, White will only get better with time as he starts to believe more in himself and the game slows down for him. He might be at his physical prime, he's nowhere close to his productivity prime.

phxspurfan
08-07-2020, 06:19 PM

If the Spurs FO said that to his agent they'd be laughed out the room and White would be headed straight to another team.

phxspurfan
08-07-2020, 06:20 PM
4 years/$80 million

this

KobesAchilles
08-07-2020, 06:30 PM
We are going to fuck up our cap anyways bc we have turned into the Minnesota Timberwolves. White has no leverage so we should low ball him, counter and get him at a reasonable price

spurspl
08-07-2020, 06:43 PM
We are going to fuck up our cap anyways bc we have turned into the Minnesota Timberwolves. White has no leverage so we should low ball him, counter and get him at a reasonable price

but still, minny have some high value young stars on a fair longterm contract (dlo and towns), rookie with potential (culver) and a high pick in this yr draft. Spurs have... well...* travolta lookin around the room meme*

FkLA
08-07-2020, 07:11 PM

Emmanuel David Ginobili

KobesAchilles
08-07-2020, 07:22 PM
but still, minny have some high value young stars on a fair longterm contract (dlo and towns), rookie with potential (culver) and a high pick in this yr draft. Spurs have... well...* travolta lookin around the room meme*
We have culture and Forbes :lol

spurraider21
08-07-2020, 07:26 PM
white's 3 point stroke has looked a lot better and quicker... its clear he's still improving his game

SAGirl
08-07-2020, 07:28 PM
White will probably only get 1 new contract in his physical prime. He has to make his money now being an older player for a rookie contract. I'd think he'd be less willing to take a smaller salary. DJ is younger and was coming off an injury, White is older and healthy. I'd expect his agent to push for more. Whether he gets it is another thing. He deserves it though.
This is what I am thinking too. His agent should look for more than Murray.

DeRozan m8
08-07-2020, 07:57 PM
Fuck Murrays contract tbh

Dhbsr555
08-07-2020, 08:10 PM
White will get 20 plus whether it’s from the spurs or not

look_at_g_shred
08-07-2020, 08:31 PM
Dude went from not being able to shoot to being a 3 point threat. Add that to his elite defense, play making, manu esque bbiq...he should get like 4/100

BackHome
08-07-2020, 08:49 PM
Not that much because of Corona the Cap is not going up the NBA is bleeding money right now. But I do agree I think him and Keldon are our building blocks

paperboy77
08-07-2020, 08:55 PM
Great topic. Important topic. Spurs better not screw this up. The man is better than many of these hyped up star players. He's the real deal. Very much like KL when he started on the up and up. White should definitely become an all-star.... if fans ever go back to appreciating real impact over the superficial.

White is a cornerstone for the future. There's a lot of shitty players making >20M. Having said all that.. if we can get him on the cheap i say go for it. On the cheap... 13 per year. Hey he's a freaking 29 pick! Systemic profiling right there. :spin

slick'81
08-07-2020, 09:11 PM
they paid murray on potential and now are going to have to pay up to keep white in town

phxspurfan
08-07-2020, 10:22 PM
they paid murray on potential and now are going to have to pay up to keep white in town

Depending on how he's advised by his agent, we may lose White regardless since PATFO went all in on Murray with that deal. No way White wants to share PG duties with a guy who can't dribble, pass or shoot

BackHome
08-07-2020, 10:31 PM
They paid Murray in Potential they paying White on Production.

Dhbsr555
08-07-2020, 11:41 PM
Pretty damn sure spurs lock him up

Dhbsr555
08-07-2020, 11:42 PM
Great topic. Important topic. Spurs better not screw this up. The man is better than many of these hyped up star players. He's the real deal. Very much like KL when he started on the up and up. White should definitely become an all-star.... if fans ever go back to appreciating real impact over the superficial.

White is a cornerstone for the future. There's a lot of shitty players making >20M. Having said all that.. if we can get him on the cheap i say go for it. On the cheap... 13 per year. Hey he's a freaking 29 pick! Systemic profiling right there. :spin
Very doubtful he’s averaging 22 ppg in the bubble he will get 18-22

tim_duncan_fan
08-08-2020, 12:13 AM
Something to keep in mind, devil's advocate or whatever, he's averaging 20+ppg over like 4 games.

What if he regresses to the mean?

spurs10
08-08-2020, 12:32 AM
White will be paid, rightfully so.

SpursDynasty85
08-08-2020, 07:47 AM
Anyone else notice how Dejounte looked beastly those 2 or 3 games right before he got his extension? Dude still looks like a rookie. Im hoping it's because of the Spurs' confusion of strategy (Line up changes, confusion of veteran lead team or developing young guys)

B1gduff
08-08-2020, 11:38 AM
Best solution to extedning White would be to wait until next season. He's doing incredible in the restart, but it's been only 4 games. Don't forget the dude went off in the Denver series for the first 3 or 4 games, and than Denver made an adjustment and shut him down. Lets see what he can do in a full year, if he'll able to put in 20 ppg, that pay him. if he'd can acomplish about 70% of what he's dong right now, he worth about 15ish mil per year and if he regress back to the norm, pay him about 10 mil a year.

Basically

If he can average 18+ ppg, with solid defense = He's a max player
15ish ppg, with solid defensae= murray money
Back to his Carrer norms= DG type of contract, hopefully.

Seventyniner
08-08-2020, 12:39 PM
4/72 is my knee-jerk guess, if he continues to play as well as he has so far in the bubble.

R. DeMurre
08-08-2020, 01:10 PM
White is one of the most underrated players in the NBA right now. I imagine most GMs are drooling at the idea of landing him.

C-Dub
08-08-2020, 06:06 PM
White is going to get at least what DJM got but no more. Maybe the amount of years will be different. White nor DJM really care about who's running the PG position because Pop plans on having at least 3 playmaking ballhandlers in the game at 1 time adding LW4 into the mix. White, DJM and LW4 will be running the point and breaking down the defense. The Spurs need both White and DJM on the team moving forward especially on the defensive end of things.

MannyIsGod
08-08-2020, 06:54 PM
Emmanuel David Ginobili

I'm skeptical he can reach that high but I hope you're right.

exstatic
08-08-2020, 10:41 PM
Something to keep in mind, devil's advocate or whatever, he's averaging 20+ppg over like 4 games.

He getting regular run over 30 mpg. That’s all he’s needed.

Dejounte
08-08-2020, 11:07 PM
White is one of the most underrated players in the NBA right now. I imagine most GMs are drooling at the idea of landing him.

How many 20/5/5 players ALSO play defense like D White? Probably very few. He's a 2 way player like Kawhi. He probably wont be recognized as a MVP candidate because his name and style isnt sexy, but he's a damn good player. He will probably deserve the max, but we are lucky he didnt display this much earlier or else he would have gotten it. He will get a team friendly deal when he's convinced a good team will be built around him. He's humble enough to accept it. We have our first piece of the puzzle.

BackHome
08-08-2020, 11:55 PM
The only concern I have with White is his feet if he can stay healthy he will a very good building block.

Truth4sale$
08-09-2020, 12:22 AM
White wasted a year of his career sitting behind Dejointe and Bryn Forbes, when he was clearly the better player. At the least he should get what Chris Levert got from the Nets, in 2019, ..3 yrs/52 Million. Hard to say how coronavirus impacts the cap but he might be the best the Spurs have for awhile. His shooting, playmaking and IQ is worth likely 15 million a yeat.

cd021
08-09-2020, 04:43 AM

This is something that needs to be discussed tbh.

He's shooting 45% on 8.5 3's per game. That's not sustainable.

-If he's a starter, going forward, is he really going to shoot 8.5 3's in 32 mpg? Better yet, is he really going to shoot anywhere near 45% from 3? More likely he's closer to 6 3's per game on maybe 37% from 3.

-His 6.5 FTs per game is sustainable, while he can stand to actually improve on his 81% FT.

-He's actually only taken only 26 shots from inside the arc in 5 games. When his outrageous shooting comes back down to earth, that's where he can stand to improve. He's generally a good finisher at the rim and a good mid-range shooter.

All of this is to say that he's likely not going to be able to keep this up, at least not how he's been doing it. He can still be a 20/6/6 player assuming that his improved offensive aggression is here to stay but that's hard to say for certain.

If he's a 20/6/6 player then 4 years, $80 million is probably fine.

When that's combined with Murray, who's looking less likely to live up to that $64 million then that could be an issue.

TD 21
08-09-2020, 11:11 AM
4 years, $60 million tbh.

I know the financial climate is going to be uncertain for a while, but I still don't see how he get's less than Murray. I threw out 4/70 recently.

When that's combined with Murray, who's looking less likely to live up to that $64 million then that could be an issue.

That's what I've alluded to all along with these two. Sure, they have the cap space, but do you want to tie up that much combined money in a non All-Star caliber back court?

Choosing one always made sense. What White has done recently is illuminate the fact that it should be him, despite his relatively advanced age and lack of extension.

cd021
08-09-2020, 03:27 PM
I know the financial climate is going to be uncertain for a while, but I still don't see how he get's less than Murray. I threw out 4/70 recently.

That's what I've alluded to all along with these two. Sure, they have the cap space, but do you want to tie up that much combined money in a non All-Star caliber back court?

Choosing one always made sense. What White has done recently is illuminate the fact that it should be him, despite his relatively advanced age and lack of extension.

-I think 4 years, $60 million is probably the floor, while 4 years, $80 is probably the most I could see him getting. 4 years, $70 million would be the sweet spot.

-I have doubts that his 22 ppg output is sustainable in the long term, at least how he's done it, but if he's this aggressive on offense and getting the minutes then he could still be a 20/6/6 type of player. For 4 years, $70 million that's probably a bargain, plus and the Spurs would have him locked up for age 26-31.

-Murray and White, if that's the Spurs starting backcourt of the future, is fine at $33.5 million combined per seasons-- for a total of three seasons. If, say, Walker or another player ends up replacing Murray in the starting lineup during that time then that becomes an issue. That could very well happen, so that could indeed become an issue.

Truth4sale$
08-09-2020, 05:32 PM
The drop off in ball movement after White was injured in the Pelican game shows his value. He might not have years of NBA experience but he is a two way player entering his prime. I like the idea of a 4 yr/70 million with incentives.

TD 21
08-09-2020, 05:46 PM
-I think 4 years, $60 million is probably the floor, while 4 years, $80 is probably the most I could see him getting. 4 years, $70 million would be the sweet spot.

-I have doubts that his 22 ppg output is sustainable in the long term, at least how he's done it, but if he's this aggressive on offense and getting the minutes then he could still be a 20/6/6 type of player. For 4 years, $70 million that's probably a bargain, plus and the Spurs would have him locked up for age 26-31.

-Murray and White, if that's the Spurs starting backcourt of the future, is fine at $33.5 million combined per seasons-- for a total of three seasons. If, say, Walker or another player ends up replacing Murray in the starting lineup during that time then that becomes an issue. That could very well happen, so that could indeed become an issue.

It just depends on the context. On a good team, is he a 20-22 ppg scorer? Probably not, but this is a team more than likely at most a year away from losing the "mid 3" and right now he's the only other option on the roster capable of assuming a primary offensive role.

That's why counting stats are largely irrelevant because they're so context dependent.

It's fine if that's a back court capable of building an above average offense around or you have a wing or big to fulfill that role, but Murray is an inept offensive player and I still think White ultimately settles into that nebulous zone between star and role player.

DAF86
08-09-2020, 05:53 PM
It looks White is heading for that Jrue Holiday underrated type.

RC_Drunkford
08-09-2020, 06:17 PM
Locking White up on a team friendly salary will be a key move for the future. Especially because the Spurs still have to pay Demarre Carroll for a few years. Anything under 20 Million per year is good value for a player like him.

Kurgan
08-10-2020, 12:42 AM
Locking White up on a team friendly salary will be a key move for the future. Especially because the Spurs still have to pay Demarre Carroll for a few years. Anything under 20 Million per year is good value for a player like him.

Disgusting that we're paying him 6 mil next year to play for someone else. How do Buford/Wright still have a job after how they handled the Kawhi trade and last summer's nightmare acquisitions(Morris/Carrol)?