PDA

View Full Version : Trump wants to destroy Social Security

RandomGuy
08-13-2020, 10:31 AM
A dream of conservatives for close to 100 years.

A very senile Trump struggled to articulate what he wanted to actually do with a second term, and has settled on this gem:

Abolish the payroll tax that funds Social Security and Medicare, essentially doing away with these programs.

Talk about a gift to Democrats. Here is the only real issue we need to be running on after this, IMO.

Winehole23
08-13-2020, 11:17 AM
"Tremendous economic growth" will allow us to draw SS from the general fund.

RandomGuy
08-13-2020, 11:32 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o84U6421OOWegpQhq/giphy.gif

CosmicCowboy
08-13-2020, 11:34 AM

That's where it comes from already. The "trust fund" is a fable.

RandomGuy
08-13-2020, 11:38 AM
That's where it comes from already. The "trust fund" is a fable.

It is funded by the payroll tax. they pull a switcheroo with that indeed. Should have an ironclad wall between the two, IMO.

"fable" is a bit of an exaggeration, but close enough.

Still, kick out the payroll tax, and what happens?

CosmicCowboy
08-13-2020, 12:53 PM
It was my understanding it was a temporary thing during the covid crisis. Not planned for long term. kind of like the $600 a week for the unemployed.

Personally, I think it was stupid to do the SS deferral. They would still owe the SS tax in April after Biden is elected.

Besides, don't pretend Democrats give a shit about old people and social security. You have old people living on $1060 a month on SS while the young unemployed were getting $600 a week.

ducks
08-13-2020, 01:08 PM
Fake news

boutons_deux
08-13-2020, 01:15 PM
the SS trust fund is as secure and reliable as any US Treasury bond.

When the SS calls it in, the General Fund will have to pay up what I borrowed from SS trust fund.

CosmicCowboy
08-13-2020, 01:44 PM
the SS trust fund is as secure and reliable as any US Treasury bond.

When the SS calls it in, the General Fund will have to pay up what I borrowed from SS trust fund.

in other words, benefits are paid from the general fund. There is no "trust fund". Thanks for playing, Boukaki.

hater
08-13-2020, 01:46 PM
Fake news

Dump said if Biden wins we would speak Chinese which is also fake news.

Both teams are fake news and anyone believing either shit is a fucking retarded slug brained covid infested turdnugget

pgardn
08-13-2020, 02:57 PM
Dump said if Biden wins we would speak Chinese which is also fake news.

Both teams are fake news and anyone believing either shit is a fucking retarded slug brained covid infested turdnugget

I know who I will believe first and foremost.
And its not the red team that has bowed to a pathological liar.

ChumpHumper
08-13-2020, 03:02 PM
Bài dēng xūyào huòshèng, yīncǐ wǒmen kěyǐ yǒngbào yīgè jiǎo cǎi dìmiàn de jiāhuo, jìnrù xià yīgè shìjì.

拜登需要获胜,因此我们可以拥抱一个脚踩地面的家伙,进入下一个世纪。

SnakeBoy
08-13-2020, 03:04 PM
Besides, don't pretend Democrats give a shit about old people and social security. You have old people living on $1060 a month on SS while the young unemployed were getting $600 a week.

RandomGuy
08-13-2020, 04:01 PM

We do give a shit. That you think it is "pretend" says a lot about how twisted your perception of reality is by whatever news bubble you live in.

The problem is the policy straightjacket that the fascist party has backed itself into with their no tax pledges. Half the country would scream bloody murder and call it a communist takeover if those benefits were made even modestly more generous, and you fucking well know it.

Don't pretend the Republican party gives even the tiniest squirts of shit about anyone other than their megadonors.

RandomGuy
08-13-2020, 04:02 PM
[echo chamber seal clapping]

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/investigations/article/covid-death-toll-houston-tx-texas-higher-data-15478269.php

RandomGuy
08-13-2020, 04:06 PM
in other words, benefits are paid from the general fund. There is no "trust fund". Thanks for playing, Boukaki.

"in other words" you are pushing the analogy too far.

Benefits are paid from the SS fund. Feel free to show otherwise.

They do play shell games, but your statement is provably false. There are some pretty solid legal walls between the two. Yes they can borrow/repay but the benefits have a very clear source.