PDA

View Full Version : Quick reaction: who do you keep/drop?

itzsoweezee
08-13-2020, 07:21 PM
Forget about salaries, positions, etc., who would you keep and drop from the roster going into next year?

Keep
White
Johnson
Walker
Eubanks
Sandwich
Metu
Mills
Weatherspoon

Drop
Forbes
Gay
Murray
Bellynelly
Poetl
Derozan
Aldridge
Lyles

spurspl
08-13-2020, 07:35 PM
if its not about money id also keep poeltl and gay. drop metu. The rest seems ok

look_at_g_shred
08-13-2020, 07:35 PM
Metu is absolute trash bro.

look_at_g_shred
08-13-2020, 07:36 PM
I factually don’t mind DDR for one more year. Him and Kj play well together.

BatManu20
08-13-2020, 07:37 PM
DDR is gonna be here next year whether you like it or not. He’s opting in. Could potentially be traded before the deadline if there’s a team desperate enough.

Patty is Pop’s pet and will likely be a Spur for life.

Poeltl, despite his shortcomings, needs to be re-signed so long as it’s on a friendly deal. Functional 7-footers don’t grow on trees and we gave away our franchise player to get him.

Marco is likely gone.

Metu is trash and should be gone but he’ll likely still be here as we don’t have any better options as of yet and little money to spend in FA.

Darius Bieber
08-13-2020, 07:39 PM
Doesn't matter. The west is stacked next year - Spurs will finish last.

Truth4sale$
08-13-2020, 07:42 PM
Keep Murray,poerlt, Lyles,...maybe move Metu to a two way deal if he is willing.

itzsoweezee
08-13-2020, 07:55 PM
By the way, if Keldon is not starting at the beginning of the season, I'm burning this site down

Kurgan
08-13-2020, 07:58 PM
:lol at keeping Metu but dropping Jakob. I dislike the soft Austrian as much as the next guy but he's a decent defender and Spurs have no depth at C.

John B
08-13-2020, 08:03 PM
For sure Forbes and Belli.. and Mills with spot minutes. I still think they can push the Aldridge, Demar and Gay but now with the right athletic talent around who plays defense.

RC_Drunkford
08-13-2020, 08:07 PM
Drop:
Forbes
Belinelli
Lyles
Metu

Keep:
White
Keldon
Walker
Samanic
Eubanks
Weatherspoon
Aldridge
Poeltl

Move if the return is right:
Mills
Gay
DeRozan
Murray

Pay him but let him play for the Rockets:
Demarre Carroll

MoSpur02
08-13-2020, 08:08 PM
Metu is not too bad, but needs to accept a role where all he does is grab boards and play defense. Too bad his basketball IQ is an issue.

I’m on the fence Murray to be honest. Not sure what happened in the bubble. I was expecting a bigger impact from him. He needs to work on his ball handling and decision making.

Walker stays. He needs to figure out his role and not be so indecisive. He needs to work on his jumper a little more, ball handling, and learn the defense a little better.

Gay should stay. He played great, but could’ve been playing like he did as an audition for another team. He is not too bad as a 4.

Derozan is not bad. His 4th quarter play in the bubble was off the charts. He put the team on his back and led them. Don’t extend him though unless it’s a friendly deal, which I doubt he’ll take.

Aldridge is a good piece to keep because he can spread the floor and can give you around 20 a night.

I’d keep Lyles. He is a smart player and showed flashes of being a solid role player who can stretch the floor.
If it were me I would say bye to Marco, Forbes, and Mills.

Kurgan
08-13-2020, 08:10 PM
Mills is a culture guy. He'll stay and has another year on his contract. Metu is done. Forbes and Belli should be gone to make room for the youngsters in the backcourt. White and Keldon are obvious keepers. Keep Jakob too assuming he doesn't overvalue himself. Drew is cheap and would be a fine backup big. Try to shop Mah Touches and Dumbar for anything of value. Use Murray as a sweetener if need be. Gay should have some value in the league among the contenders looking to improve their bench. A late 1st should be possible.

NASpurs
08-13-2020, 08:11 PM
I don't have problems with Beli, Mills or even Forbes if Popovich wasn't so adamant about giving those guys prominent roles on the team. But he can't help himself... so naturally I want to get rid of them. And DDR too. Too many chefs in the kitchen with LMA coming back. I just want the young guys to grow and not get DDR's career loser mentality. Shit is contagious.

Joseph Kony
08-13-2020, 08:15 PM
I think the Spurs can keep one of LMA or DD, but definitely not both. I respect the work LMA put in to drag this sorry team to the playoffs the last two years, but trading him this offseason would be for the best. If DeRozan opts in, then you keep him and hopefully he shows out and you trade him to a contender at the deadline. If not then play it out. If he wants to resign on a team friendly deal and plays the role he did in the bubble, i would not mind keeping him at 14-18 mil a season. Anything more than that, no thanks. I just think LA takes up too many possessions on offense, and we can probably replace his D more easily than Demar's O. I wouldn't care if DeRozan left though or if Spurs S&T him in the off season. Rudy is another guy I wouldn't mind for like 7-9 mil a year but he'll want more than that and Pop will play him too much. Murray probably needs to go, but i'd give him one more season

Keep:

White
Johnson
Poeltl
Walker
Lyles (since he'll be cheap)
Mills (you know he isn't going anywhere anyway)
Maybe DeRozan

Drop:
FORBES!!!!!
Marco
Aldridge
Gay
Metu

Indifferent:

QW
Eubanks
Murray (wouldn't be upset if he were traded)
Samanic

MoSpur02
08-13-2020, 08:17 PM
Oh yeah Eubanks has gotta go.

Joseph Kony
08-13-2020, 08:18 PM
what sucks is you know Lillard could totally make Portland trade for LMA, but they have Nurkic, so I doubt he would want to anyway :lol i would much prefer to have him or Collins instead of LMA

SAGirl
08-13-2020, 08:37 PM
Demar played well in the bubble.
WE have to consider that he played all season next to Forbes (limited shooter/scorer, no defense whatsoever, doesn't pass), and Murray (limited offensive player who lacks court vision) and he was still individually an effective offensive player.

baseline bum
08-13-2020, 08:47 PM

This restart was preseason to every team not battling for the 8 and 9 seeds. Spurs, Suns, Blazers didn't all of a sudden get good. I wouldn't read too much into these 8 games.

B1gduff
08-13-2020, 08:57 PM
Dropping Murray?? Dude just signed a 4yrs contract....he ain't leaving. Allow him to have regular offseason, no inuries, rehab,,etc. Dude's only heading his 3rd year of actually playing with the big squad...peeps forget that it took Ingram 3+ year to breakout. Not saying Murray is going to break out like Ingram but give him a chance. Also get him in a wiight room.

DD and LA aren't going anywhere, til the mid season. But i do think that LA might need to take a step back on offene, similar to Gasol did with Tronto.

Bring Gay back, seemed like he actually enjoyed playing with the younger guy and that pase felt it worked for him

Eubank defiently deserves a back up back up role, that could come in when needed.

BlackAndWhite
08-13-2020, 08:58 PM
Drop Forbes, Belinelli and Metu. Keep the rest of the squad

Kurgan
08-13-2020, 09:00 PM
Dropping Murray?? Dude just signed a 4yrs contract....he ain't leaving. Allow him to have regular offseason, no inuries, rehab,,etc. Dude's only heading his 3rd year of actually playing with the big squad...peeps forget that it took Ingram 3+ year to breakout. Not saying Murray is going to break out like Ingram but give him a chance. Also get him in a wiight room.

DD and LA aren't going anywhere, til the mid season. But i do think that LA might need to take a step back on offene, similar to Gasol did with Tronto.

Bring Gay back, seemed like he actually enjoyed playing with the younger guy and that pase felt it worked for him

Eubank defiently deserves a back up back up role, that could come in when needed.

Murray's garbage handles are indicative of a poor work ethic. Combine that with his mediocre bball iq and you have someone who probably won't ever get any better than he is right now.

itzsoweezee
08-13-2020, 09:03 PM

Normally, I'd definitely like to keep Murray around, but I know if he's on the roster, he's likely taking minutes away from Keldon. What absolutely must happen next year is a White-Johnson starting backcourt.

B1gduff
08-13-2020, 09:09 PM
Murray's garbage handles are indicative of a poor work ethic. Combine that with his mediocre bball iq and you have someone who probably won't ever get any better than he is right now.

All of our young guys have bad handles and tunnel vison, expect Keldon (which he can also improve). Like i said, let they get regular offseason and work out these issue and than come back for the next season. These guy are still young and there no point in giving up on them right now.

B1gduff
08-13-2020, 09:12 PM
Normally, I'd definitely like to keep Murray around, but I know if he's on the roster, he's likely taking minutes away from Keldon. What absolutely must happen next year is a White-Johnson starting backcourt.

Keldon is more 2- small ball 4. Murray also isn't the only one that going to take mins away from Keldon, you got white, lonnie, dd, trey, and gay. I do beleive that Keldon will be a focus point next year. would not be surprised if he take someonce's spot. On that note, both Murray and Walker need to step it up, theyt got guys behind them ready to take them over. This could also be good thing for them.

LongtimeSpursFan
08-13-2020, 09:15 PM
Drop

Metu
Weatherspoon
Forbes
Zeller

B1gduff
08-13-2020, 09:16 PM
In regard to Metu, i think he needs to drop his ego. He has a chance to be a solid player, but he will never be a start and he needs to accept and play his role.

Larry O
08-13-2020, 09:23 PM
Hmmm... wonder if PATFO will do some soul searching and realize that now that the playoff streak is over, it is now time to go ahead and concede with the idea of trying compete for a championship contention for the next 2 years, at least, and begin the rebounding process. I can see Pop tell DDR, LMA and RG22 if they, at this point of their careers, to go ahead and sign up for a team with championship contention, while the Spurs continue with the young bloods minus Forbes. I can see Mills staying as part of the veteran leadership with perhaps resigning Lyles and JP25 unless they decide to opt out to also go to a contender as well. And if these decisions are made, then this may have been the last time we saw Pop as the head
coach for the Spurs. This would be an interesting scenario, because now is the time to rebuild, but on the other hand, I can also see this organization wanting to remain competitive and do some minor tweaking to this current roster. There is a lot of uncertainties going forward, especially with the COVID-19 pandemic, but it has always seemed to be the organization's goal to bring to the fans, a product that brings championships, or is competitive. It will be an interesting offseason for sure. Let's see how things will unfold! GSG!!!

tbdog
08-13-2020, 10:13 PM
Spurs can rebuild at anytime.

KobesAchilles
08-14-2020, 09:14 AM
Keep Forbes, White, DDR, LMA, KJ; Lonnie, Spoon and Mills. Oh and Drew also

Drop Murray (team made the playoffs with the exact same roster except White played instead of him. Dude is the reason why we didn’t make it). Drop Belli. Drop Gay. And drop Poetl

mo7888
08-14-2020, 09:23 AM
I'm dropping Forbes, metu, belli, and one of lma or ddr

BackHome
08-14-2020, 12:18 PM

Drop Murray (team made the playoffs with the exact same roster except White played instead of him. Dude is the reason why we didn’t make it). Drop Belli. Drop Gay. And drop Poetl

You lost me after “Keep Forbes”. :dramaquee

crc21209
08-14-2020, 12:35 PM
First and foremost, PLEASE get rid of Forbes.

Drop:
Belinelli
Metu

Keep:
White
K. Johnson
Walker
Samanic
Eubanks
Weatherspoon
Aldridge
Poeltl

Mills
Gay
DeRozan
Murray

The tough decision for me though is....what to do about Aldridge and DeRozan. They dont mesh very well together. Either we stay committed to LA and drop DeRozan, or we run smaller lineups with DeRozan and crew and drop LA. I think one of the main reasons DeRozan was so successful in the bubble was because LA wasnt there to take up space....

EasyMoney
08-14-2020, 12:48 PM
Keep:
White
Murray
Johnson
Walker
Weatherspoon
Shamanic
Poeltl
Eubanks
Aldridge
Mills
Gay(move if possible)
Derozan(move if possible)

Drop:
Forbes
Lyles
Metu
Belinelli

Replace the drop with 2020 picks and free agent 3&d wing players

EasyMoney
08-14-2020, 01:00 PM

Lakers added Anthony Davis, clippers added kawhi and paul george, thunder added chris paul and Danilo gallinari, rockets added Russell westbrooks, utah added Mike Conley, portland added Carmelo anthony.

I wouldn't really say dejounte is the reason the spurs didn't make it. And it's unfair to blame a 23 year old coming from an acl year for that. The western conference changed dramatically over a few months but let's blame a 23 year old kid as to why they didn't make it.

cjw
08-14-2020, 01:11 PM
I can see Pop tell DDR, LMA and RG22 if they, at this point of their careers, to go ahead and sign up for a team with championship contention, while the Spurs continue with the young bloods minus Forbes. I can see Mills staying as part of the veteran leadership with perhaps resigning Lyles and JP25 unless they decide to opt out to also go to a contender as well.

Why do people keep talking about Poeltl and Lyles “opting out”? Poeltl is a restricted free agent in one of the worst free agent markets we’ve seen in years given a lower potential cap, and Lyles is under contract unless the Spurs decide to cut him loose ($1 million guaranteed). If Poeltl doesn’t want to be here, he can take the qualifying offer and be an UFA next summer. But more likely he signs an extension, or there is a sign and trade.

Agree with you on LMA, Demar and Gay. Don’t need all of them if going through a rebuild, and if you can get back some assets for them (assuming Demar opts in, which we’ll know shortly).

First and foremost, PLEASE get rid of Forbes.

Drop:
Belinelli
Metu

Keep:
White
K. Johnson
Walker
Samanic
Eubanks
Weatherspoon
Aldridge
Poeltl

Mills
Gay
DeRozan
Murray

The tough decision for me though is....what to do about Aldridge and DeRozan. They dont mesh very well together. Either we stay committed to LA and drop DeRozan, or we run smaller lineups with DeRozan and crew and drop LA. I think one of the main reasons DeRozan was so successful in the bubble was because LA wasnt there to take up space....

Basically agree with what you said. I look at it this way:

Hope DeRozan opts in, though part of that may be an agreement that if he opts in and the plan is to trade him, he has some say over where he goes.
You canvas the market on DeRozan, Aldridge, Gay and Mills to see if anything can be brought back of value. That may include taking back dead weight plus draft capital. As you said, the fit between LA and Demar is awkward at best. Gay could be very valuable to a contender.
If the decision is to move Aldridge, you still pick the best player available in the draft and don’t waste it on a big man just because.
I’m on the fence with Murray. Jekyll and Hyde. If another team overvalues him, you have to be comfortable moving on from him. Heck, Pop traded George Hill once upon a time and he doesn’t love Murray that much.
You can’t be scared of missing the playoffs next year. The west is stacked, and it’s more important to build the young foundation into a stronger contender in future years. There will be tons of cap space in the summer of 2021 to supplement the pieces you already have.

exstatic
08-14-2020, 01:18 PM
Drop Forbes, Belinelli and Metu. Keep the rest of the squad

This, and sign Eubanks to an NBA contract, sign the first rounder, and agree to a two way contract with the second rounder.

Oh, and dump Zeller.

That would be a 14 man roster, plus 2 two ways.

Thomas82
08-14-2020, 01:24 PM
Mills is a culture guy. He'll stay and has another year on his contract. Metu is done. Forbes and Belli should be gone to make room for the youngsters in the backcourt. White and Keldon are obvious keepers. Keep Jakob too assuming he doesn't overvalue himself. Drew is cheap and would be a fine backup big. Try to shop Mah Touches and Dumbar for anything of value. Use Murray as a sweetener if need be. Gay should have some value in the league among the contenders looking to improve their bench. A late 1st should be possible.

I agree with all of this.

venitian navigator
08-14-2020, 05:50 PM
with DDR opting in and looking like a different and better player I presume that the FO choice will be to be back next season with quite then same players...waiting for next years when all big contracts (DDR, LA, Gay and Mills) will be over...we are already over 120 millions without the possible resignings (Forbes, Beli, Poeltl).
No cap space and only MLE available.
Only decisions to make are :
0) White and Poeltl extensions
1) draft selections
2) decide if give someone the MLE (hoping they'll do only if it is a good one, not a finished player like Carroll)

For different reasons, Beli and Forbes should not be considered part of the future and their only chance to be still part of the team could be if they are available for minimum contracts...White and Poeltl both deserve an extension but, considering the market, only if the numbers are very friendly;White has health problems and a dangerous playing style on defense, Poeltl don't have the numbers to be actually considered our starting big.

Obviously if ther's a proposed trade of our big players for young promising pieces or future picks they have to evaluate them...but I doubt anybody will give something really valuable for DDR (old playing style) or Gay and LMA (too old guys)

tholdren
08-14-2020, 08:47 PM
Murray and walker can only stay if spurs get rid of Aldridge. They are both worthless half court players with low iq. They can keep one and turn into new age Bruce bowen. Sad how the NBA can employ pgs with no court vision passing or dribbling skill. But than one fast break dunk every other game tho

lmbebo
08-14-2020, 08:49 PM
Keep
White
Johnson
Walker
Eubanks
Saminic
Mills
Poetl

Drop/Trade
Forbes
Gay
Murray
Bellini

Derozan
Aldridge
Lyles

Don't see much changing except Bellini leaving again. Metu will not be resigned. Weatherspoon probably sticks around ...