PDA

View Full Version : pop tp you have the freedom to take it all the way

ducks
11-08-2005, 10:58 AM
``Pop always tells me everytime he calls a timeout I've got the freedom to do that,'' Parker said. ``He said, 'Anytime you want to go all the way to the basket, just do it.' And tonight, it was just a great opportunity to make it happen, and it worked out for me.''

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-08-2005, 11:00 AM
That play was the shit, wasn't it?

Marcus Bryant
11-08-2005, 11:04 AM
Remember when they did that shit against the Lakers in '03? That was Game 6, wasn't it?

That time the entire bench stood up and was walking towards Pop when the Spurs took it straight to the hole, right through a group of bewildered Lakers. If I'm not mistaken they got a 3 point play out of that. Classic.

1Parker1
11-08-2005, 11:21 AM
Damn, I wish someone had a video of that...

FromWayDowntown
11-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Remember when they did that shit against the Lakers in '03? That was Game 6, wasn't it?

That time the entire bench stood up and was walking towards Pop when the Spurs took it straight to the hole, right through a group of bewildered Lakers. If I'm not mistaken they got a 3 point play out of that. Classic.

I vividly remember Antonio Daniels pulling that play in Game 2 of the Laker series in 2002 and seeing Rick Fox crying like a baby about it.

phyzik
11-08-2005, 11:34 AM
you guys talking about the play where Pop was telling TP to call a timeout and TP decided to just run by the whole freaking Bulls team? lol.

DesiSpur_21
11-08-2005, 11:38 AM

I can't seem to remember during live game but it looks like they have deleted in the c'ship DVD if it was in 4th Qtr.

TDMVPDPOY
11-08-2005, 11:57 AM
Do other teams do this besides the spurs??

Puppy Dog
11-08-2005, 12:24 PM
``Pop always tells me everytime he calls a timeout I've got the freedom to do that,'' Parker said. ``He said, 'Anytime you want to go all the way to the basket, just do it.' And tonight, it was just a great opportunity to make it happen, and it worked out for me.''

this is a Good thing.

however, Tony must know WHEN.

it cannot be when Tony WANTS to, it has to be when Tony HAS to, because it is in the best interest of the TEAM.

if our Spurs need to milk the clock? take yo time TP.

if he's outnumbered? take yo time TP.

if TP is WISE with this new power Pop has given him,
out Spurs will be unbeatable.

He is a point guard. He MUST have a pass first mentality, UNLESS, his path is clear. Then yeah, go for it, attack, attack, ATTACK.

Thanks ducks. :tu

Marcus Bryant
11-08-2005, 12:25 PM
I vividly remember Antonio Daniels pulling that play in Game 2 of the Laker series in 2002 and seeing Rick Fox crying like a baby about it.

That was at home, no? I recall them doing it at Staples and winning the game so it must've been '03.

50 cent
11-08-2005, 01:01 PM
I remember them doing it at Staples as well and Phyliss started bitching to the refs that it wasn't fair.

1Parker1
11-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Why do people around here seem to think a PG should always have a past first mentality?

Chauncey Billups doesn't. Starbury doesn't. Arenas doesn't. And aside from Jason Kidd and Steve Nash, no other "TOP 10" Pg really does. Moreover, Pop has continually told Tony to take the shots and be aggressive. He doesn't want Tony to become a pass first PG, so why do so many fans?

If you guys hadn't noticed, we haven't always had the best offensive games in years past. Sure this season we have a lot of shooters, but I recall many seasons where Spurs would go through these offensive droughts where they couldnt buy a basket. What's wrong with Tony looking to score?

FromWayDowntown
11-08-2005, 02:31 PM
That was at home, no? I recall them doing it at Staples and winning the game so it must've been '03.

My recollection is this: it happened in the 2nd Quarter of Game 2 in 2002, in Staples. Antonio approached the Spurs bench as Pop and the gang got ready for a timeout, but before AD called for the timeout, he recognized that the Lakers had relaxed and drove to the rack for a layup. The Lakers acted as though the basket shouldn't have counted, and I think argued that there were bench players on the floor at the time. But the hoop counted and the Spurs ended up winning by 3 after nearly blowing a 16 point halftime lead.

baseline bum
11-08-2005, 03:16 PM

Yeah. It was game 2 of the 2002 WCSF (the one the Spurs won in Staples when when Kobe traveled on the last play of the game). AD went running to the halfcourt line to call timeout, and every Laker except Samaki Walker went to the bench. Daniels took it to the hole and drew the foul on Walker + hit the shot. It was right before halftime I think.

They did it in 2003 in a regular season game at Arco also (live on ABC), with Parker hitting an uncontested layup.

baseline bum
11-08-2005, 03:21 PM
My recollection is this: it happened in the 2nd Quarter of Game 2 in 2002, in Staples. Antonio approached the Spurs bench as Pop and the gang got ready for a timeout, but before AD called for the timeout, he recognized that the Lakers had relaxed and drove to the rack for a layup. The Lakers acted as though the basket shouldn't have counted, and I think argued that there were bench players on the floor at the time. But the hoop counted and the Spurs ended up winning by 3 after nearly blowing a 16 point halftime lead.

The Spurs were up as much as 21 in that game, and had it cut to 1 with like a minute left. :wow

It was only a 2-point game at the end, and the Spurs made Bryant pass to himself after they didn't double off Fisher.

jman3000
11-08-2005, 05:44 PM
He does this at least once or twice a season. Usually no more than that because then it becomes an obvious move and loses the element of surprise. I've seen where he'll pretend to get ready for the timeout, drive, then pull back and call the timeout. It's all a matter of timing and picking your spots.