PDA

View Full Version : Danny Green woulda been the difference in Game 7 against the Nuggets tbh

kht
08-14-2020, 12:16 PM
How in the world did they manage to convince us to give them Danny Green and manage to keep both OG and Siakam?

The front office continues to make head scratching decisions. Like giving an old fart like Pau Gasol, who was turning 38, a multi-year extension.

Chinook
08-14-2020, 12:28 PM
Weird rehash, but as the high priest of the Church of Green, I'm always up for supporting LDN. If they got contract-year Green, they wouldn't have even played Denver in the first round. Dude was really good on both ends. I get that he'd worn out his welcome, but trading him as a throw-in rather than Gasol was a horrible use of resources

K...
08-14-2020, 12:31 PM
I maintain the Spurs assumed green would opt out and planned around that, only for him to opt in, so he was effectively salary dumped.

phxspurfan
08-14-2020, 12:34 PM
Not that significant of a game in Spurs lore to bring up 2-3 years later tbh, but no. Green hasn't been clutch since 2013

Chinook
08-14-2020, 12:38 PM
Not that significant of a game in Spurs lore to bring up 2-3 years later tbh, but no. Green hasn't been clutch since 2013

He basically won Game One in 2014 and gave the Spurs a chance in 2015 with his defense. People remember Paul hitting that shot over Green (and Tim) but many forget Green had a number of big stops in that game, including blocking Griffin straight up twice.

Robz4000
08-14-2020, 12:43 PM
He basically won Game One in 2014 and gave the Spurs a chance in 2015 with his defense. People remember Paul hitting that shot over Green (and Tim) but many forget Green had a number of big stops in that game, including blocking Griffin straight up twice.

People also forget about Game 5 against Houston in 2017. Dude scored all our points in OT iirc.

Nivek_ogre
08-14-2020, 12:57 PM
Who gives a shit

kht
08-14-2020, 01:10 PM

With KD going down, we coulda chipped last year. I had us over Portland for sure, so that's a birth to the WCF at least.

Floyd Pacquiao
08-14-2020, 01:14 PM
Danny green would’ve made it tough on Jamal Murray for sure. Would’ve gave Derrick white some help being as he was the only good perimeter defender the spurs had last year

RC_Drunkford
08-14-2020, 02:12 PM
Replace Bryn Forbes with Danny Green and we easily go to the WCF in 2019 and make the playoffs in 2020

gambit1990
08-14-2020, 02:16 PM
How in the world did they manage to convince us to give them Danny Green and manage to keep both OG and Siakam?
the spurs also sent the raptors $5 million dollars in the deal. crazy.

Leetonidas
08-14-2020, 02:21 PM
He played like dogshit for us the last couple years and he has been dogshit for LA this year. He's not a difference maker at this point. But replacing Forbes with almost anyone might have been the difference :lol

Chinook
08-14-2020, 02:21 PM
the spurs also sent the raptors $5 million dollars in the deal. crazy.

No need to brag to us about your team getting one over on Pop.

TDomination
08-14-2020, 02:55 PM
this is an odd thread timing wise but i am one who was discouraged with the spurs when i heard green was traded along with kawhi. i thought it was beyond dumb to not only give them our best perimeter defender, but our 2nd perimeter defender as well. without green we were left without defense. green was limited but he was still an asset.

a backcourt of white and green would have been nice. our defense would have been miles better than white/forbes. seriously.

frustrated when the trade happened but it was out of my control so not much i can do except shrug and move on.

R. DeMurre
08-14-2020, 02:58 PM
I know a guy who's still mad that M*A*S*H was cancelled.

Collins21
08-14-2020, 11:57 PM
Replace Bryn Forbes with Danny Green and we easily go to the WCF in 2019 and make the playoffs in 2020

People underestimate how good that 2018-2019 could have been once they gelled after the Rodeo Road Trip I feel there wasn't anybody they couldn't have beat if Pop would have played the right people.

Kurgan
08-15-2020, 01:30 AM
Danny being thrown into the trade as filler was always stupid, especially when we weren't getting back any wings. The trade permanently gutted our wing depth for years resulting in the Forbes/Mills/Marco lineups we see today. Horrible trade. Says a lot about Brian Wright that he was the chief architect of this disaster. Wouldn't be surprised if he was the one behind the Demarre Carroll/Bertans move as well.

azzkicker007
08-15-2020, 06:25 PM
People also forget about Game 5 against Houston in 2017. Dude scored all our points in OT iirc.

This! I believe without Green’s ass whooping in Game 5 OT we don’t make it to the WCF that year.

Dex
08-15-2020, 06:27 PM
I know a guy who's still mad that M*A*S*H was cancelled.

:lol

Robz4000
08-15-2020, 06:36 PM
Danny being thrown into the trade as filler was always stupid, especially when we weren't getting back any wings. The trade permanently gutted our wing depth for years resulting in the Forbes/Mills/Marco lineups we see today. Horrible trade. Says a lot about Brian Wright that he was the chief architect of this disaster. Wouldn't be surprised if he was the one behind the Demarre Carroll/Bertans move as well.

He was tbh.

Spurtacular
08-15-2020, 07:22 PM
I called that either Mills, Forbes or both needed to be cut out of the rotation for Game 7.
ST gave me all kinds of sh** for it. :lol

rudwick
08-15-2020, 08:08 PM
I’m still mad that we took Kyle Anderson instead of Nikola Jokic. :bang:spin

ZeusWillJudge
08-17-2020, 01:56 PM
Well he sure as shit wasn't the difference maker in Game 6 against the Heat. Or Game 7 against the heat. He went 2-11 from 3P and 0-8 from 2P in those two games. If he was as sure-fire as the OP thinks, the Spurs would still be undefeated in the Finals.

But, yeah, when the choice is between him and Forbes, Danny would have been better.

Chinook
08-17-2020, 03:13 PM
Green legit sonned LeBron one-on-one on the break with the game on the line at the end of Game Six. He didn't shoot well, but his defense was on point, and it gave the team a chance to win. Hands down best defensive play by a perimeter defender in Spurs history, but because SA lost, folks remember the Leonard block on Westbrook more.

timtonymanu
08-17-2020, 04:26 PM
Green remains one of the most underrated Spurs, just based on this thread.

When Lamarcus came here, Danny’s productiveness was gone. He was a horrible fit in the Aldridge offense but anyone with a brain knows what Danny brings to the right team.

TD 21
08-17-2020, 06:11 PM
Green remains one of the most underrated Spurs, just based on this thread.

When Lamarcus came here, Danny’s productiveness was gone. He was a horrible fit in the Aldridge offense but anyone with a brain knows what Danny brings to the right team.

Nice try. The "Aldridge offense" was actually the Scumbag offense when Green's inexplicable regression began and he thrived in it last season (more luck for Scumbag) before coming back down to earth this season in the "James offense". You know, the guy who's about as good a play maker that's ever lived.

I know this board mostly dislikes Aldridge, but the truth is the biggest 3 aging out and Scumbag's meteoric rise had far more to do with the changing of the offense that he ever did.

ZeusWillJudge
08-17-2020, 07:39 PM
Green legit sonned LeBron one-on-one on the break with the game on the line at the end of Game Six. He didn't shoot well, but his defense was on point, and it gave the team a chance to win. Hands down best defensive play by a perimeter defender in Spurs history, but because SA lost, folks remember the Leonard block on Westbrook more.

Danny played 41:28 and LeBron scored 32 and had a triple double, but you're just going to say he did most of that when Danny was out. Doesn't matter. Danny has always been a nightmare when he puts the ball on the floor. The Heat ran him off the 3P line in games 6 and 7, and he was completely shut down on the offensive end. That makes him a D guy.

I love the guy, weak handles and all. My only comment was about the idea that he automatically would have made the difference in a series. He made the difference in some series, and others he didn't. But I agree that his defense was always important.

If you want to talk about him being undervalued, though, I don't think anyone undervalued Danny more than Pop. He scapegoated him all the time and eventually used him as trade ballast.

Chinook
08-17-2020, 08:42 PM
Danny played 41:28 and LeBron scored 32 and had a triple double, but you're just going to say he did most of that when Danny was out. Doesn't matter. Danny has always been a nightmare when he puts the ball on the floor. The Heat ran him off the 3P line in games 6 and 7, and he was completely shut down on the offensive end. That makes him a D guy.

I love the guy, weak handles and all. My only comment was about the idea that he automatically would have made the difference in a series. He made the difference in some series, and others he didn't. But I agree that his defense was always important.

If you want to talk about him being undervalued, though, I don't think anyone undervalued Danny more than Pop. He scapegoated him all the time and eventually used him as trade ballast.

He wasn't close to James' primary defender. He wasn't even the secondary defender. Sounds like you remember the game mostly from the box score.

ZeusWillJudge
08-17-2020, 10:17 PM
He wasn't close to James' primary defender. He wasn't even the secondary defender. Sounds like you remember the game mostly from the box score.

LMAO. I remember the game just fine. I thought you said he owned LeBron on defense. You were only talking about "on the break". Brilliant!

You giving whole-game credit for one play. "He made a great play on LeBron in Game 6. So he def would have made the difference in the Denver series." :lol

playblair
08-17-2020, 10:27 PM
i think people forget our gm is the same gm who tanked the pistons.....brian wright is turrible

Chinook
08-18-2020, 07:23 AM
LMAO. I remember the game just fine. I thought you said he owned LeBron on defense. You were only talking about "on the break". Brilliant!

No, you don't. You thought Green guarded James up and down the court and looked at the box score. If you actually did remember the game, you'd know that Green guarded Wade and actually did really well on him. You can actually argue that the series was lost because Pop thought Diaw was the better choice to spell Kawhi on James than Green. The next year, he played Green on James more, and while it's not like Danny shut Lebron down, it didn't require the team to scramble to help him the way they had to with Diaw. It also helped that Leonard had grown over the last year and didn't need as much spelling as he did in 2013. Still, in both series, Green's defensive stats were tremendous.

You giving whole-game credit for one play. "He made a great play on LeBron in Game 6. So he def would have made the difference in the Denver series." :lol

It wasn't just a play. It was the best defensive play in the team's history. Regardless, the Spurs barely lost the Denver series despite playing no defenders besides White. Replace Forbes defense with Green's and is possible the Spurs win Game Two as well as Game One and pretty much close out the series pretty early.

Kevin
08-18-2020, 10:39 AM
People forgot at how super star dependent Green is for open looks. Highly unlikely he shoots as well without super star Kawhi on his team especially with all the spacing issues the Spurs have had over the past couple seasons.

ragas
08-19-2020, 06:09 AM
Danny Green making the difference in Game 1 :lmao

RC_Drunkford
08-19-2020, 07:07 AM
People forgot at how super star dependent Green is for open looks. Highly unlikely he shoots as well without super star Kawhi on his team especially with all the spacing issues the Spurs have had over the past couple seasons.

DeRozan and White would definitely know how to get him open shots

RC_Drunkford
08-19-2020, 07:09 AM

Manu's block on Harden was way bigger. Just off impact alone. And that block from nephew on Westbrook is legendary. I thought we lost the series when Westbrook started running down the court

ragas
08-19-2020, 08:09 AM
https://twitter.com/Deee909/status/1295894666550755328

Dex
08-19-2020, 10:00 AM
https://twitter.com/Deee909/status/1295894666550755328

:lol

BackHome
08-19-2020, 10:27 AM
Danny is our secrete weapon with the Flakers to help stop them from winning another ring.

lefty
08-19-2020, 10:55 AM
Which one OP?

BackHome
08-19-2020, 02:57 PM
i think people forget our gm is the same gm who tanked the pistons.....brian wright is turrible

I know why the hell did we hire this dude? We could not find someone better?

Chinook
08-19-2020, 03:00 PM
Manu's block on Harden was way bigger. Just off impact alone. And that block from nephew on Westbrook is legendary. I thought we lost the series when Westbrook started running down the court

It's hard to say blocking a desperation three in the second round is better than blocking the best player in the world one-on-one at the rim in the Finals. As far as Leonard goes, it's half of a legendary sequence along with Tim posting up Ibaka to seal the series. Basically, the Green play was sandwiched between a Manu turnover and a Parker brick. Imagine if Tim turns the ball over instead and the Thunder end up taking the game and series. That's basically what happened around the Green play. I don't have an issue putting either Leonard's or Manu's play as more iconic or legendary. But better? No. Stopping the best player in the league in his prime straight up with the series on the line, while being fouled? Can't think of another play like it.

RC_Drunkford
08-20-2020, 06:49 AM
that's fair. Spurs just didn't win that game so it won't really be remembered

Rusty
10-02-2020, 10:48 PM
Danny Green 1-8 from 3 :rollin

timtonymanu
10-02-2020, 11:33 PM
My nigga about to get ring #3. Honestly happy for him, tbh.

ElNono
10-03-2020, 04:27 AM

DAF86
10-03-2020, 04:31 AM
L.D.N.

Chinook
10-03-2020, 07:13 AM
Pretty sure he was awesome in Game One.

DMX7
10-03-2020, 08:12 AM
Looks like Danny got more ink since the last time I saw him play

Dverde
10-03-2020, 11:56 AM
Gotta give to Danny, guy made a solid career (two lucrative contracts) with bench level skills.

Kawhitstorm
10-03-2020, 12:39 PM
Gotta give to Danny, guy made a solid career (two lucrative contracts) with bench level skills.

Patrick McCaw 3peated without getting off the bench

timtonymanu
10-03-2020, 06:06 PM

Just like how we gave 50 million to a bench level player and still treat him like a closer.

DAF86
10-03-2020, 06:40 PM
Patrick McCaw 3peated without getting off the bench

Well, there you have the difference. 3 rings being a starting SG. :worthy:

Capt Bringdown
10-03-2020, 09:29 PM
Green's doing great in LA because his scoring is not needed.

If you depend on his scoring, as the Spurs did, he will let you down cuz that's what scrubs do.

Rusty
10-03-2020, 09:51 PM
Green's doing great in LA because his scoring is not needed.

If you depend on his scoring, as the Spurs did, he will let you down cuz that's what scrubs do.

Are you kidding me?? Lakers fans absolutely hate this guy and wants him gone next season:lol. The same way Spurs fans wanted to trade this guy for a long time

DMC
10-04-2020, 12:42 AM
Danny was an elite level defender and top tier transition defense, best on the Spurs roster in transition imo.

K...
10-04-2020, 07:55 AM
Green 3 kawhi 2 as it goes

cd98
10-04-2020, 09:48 AM
Green 3* kawhi 2 as it goes

Fixed.

timtonymanu
10-05-2020, 01:55 AM
Are you kidding me?? Lakers fans absolutely hate this guy and wants him gone next season:lol. The same way Spurs fans wanted to trade this guy for a long time

Lakers fan bitch about everyone except Kobe. Look at the way they treated Pau because of their irrational Kobe love. They hated LeBron for years because he was a threat to Kobe's legacy and now he's leading them to another title. Spoiled and fickle fanbase, but honestly so are a lot of Spurs fans including myself. :lol

And now a lot of Spurs fan wish Danny was back on the team. Washed up Danny Green >>>>> relying on Scrubnelli, 50 Mills, and Forbes. The teams he's starting on generally make it far and always make the playoffs while Bryn singlehandedly ended our playoff streak.

weeks
10-05-2020, 02:07 AM
Danny was an elite level defender and top tier transition defense, best on the Spurs roster in transition imo.

He had a lot of crucial chase down blocks for a guard.
Man....wingstop. rip

spurs10
10-05-2020, 02:09 AM
Danny brought a lot to our team. His defense made him a huge part of our success. Might get 3 championship rings with a b2b this year. Couldn't happen to better guy!

timtonymanu
10-06-2020, 11:52 PM
LDN about to have more rings than Nephew :toast

Kawhitstorm
10-08-2020, 10:44 PM
LDN about to have more rings than Nephew :toast

...all thanks to Kiwi carrying him to a chip :toast

Chinook
10-09-2020, 10:40 PM
Would've been a legend had he hit that shot. Looks like it was blocked, but that last play had a lot of bad errors. That he wasn't in for that final play means Vogel probably won't trust him for the rest of the series.

BWS-1994
10-09-2020, 10:46 PM
Would've been a legend had he hit that shot. Looks like it was blocked, but that last play had a lot of bad errors. That he wasn't in for that final play means Vogel probably won't trust him for the rest of the series.

Lebron should’ve taken that shot IMO.

ginobilized
10-09-2020, 10:49 PM
That was such a Steve Kerr/John Paxson situation. Alas, poor Danny.

BWS-1994
10-09-2020, 10:56 PM
Lebron should’ve taken that shot IMO.

Finally saw the play (was only looking at play by play) and wow... that was wide open... miss :wow

poopbox
10-09-2020, 11:15 PM
Danny has been beyond trash in this series...

He was so trash tonight that even an all time great playoff game from lebron couldn't fix it...

Lakers make sure to keep him far away from Jimmy cause they know that is easy money...

Dann can't even chase this Dj Tanner looking Robinson dude around screens anymore...

Such a shame...

widowmaker
10-10-2020, 09:12 AM
Yeah he was the difference maker last night, so i heard im one of the millions not watching the finals. Lakers are boring.

Dverde
10-10-2020, 10:47 AM
Patty is pretty worthless nowadays, but he would have knocked down that three pointer.

KobesAchilles
10-10-2020, 12:24 PM
Has Danny Green ever made a game winning 3 in the playoffs before? I hear Lebron say it was the right b-ball move to pass him the ball, but that is questionable. Danny is apparently shooting 27% from 3. You would have to think a Lebron iso jumper has a better than 27% chance of scoring. This is why he will never be the GOAT.

cool cat
10-10-2020, 05:22 PM
I would rather be up 3-2 in the finals with Danny Green then whatever situation we are in now.

ElNono
10-10-2020, 05:50 PM
He's Danny League... remember? Not sure why anybody expects him to be anything but a role player, tbh

Dverde
10-10-2020, 08:50 PM
Super Morris Bros really dropping their stock in the bubble. He was the really choke job in that sequence.

DeRozan m8
10-11-2020, 12:04 AM
Not sure how anyone who watched Danny the last few years with us would want him back.

Unless you have dementia

TDMVPDPOY
10-11-2020, 06:03 AM
who here thinks he go party after the game with the heat if they do win, like last time...

Dverde
10-11-2020, 08:53 AM
who here thinks he go party after the game with the heat if they do win, like last time...

Good point. Forgot about that shit. He’ll be scared to take another big shot this series. He almost extended the Raptors-GSW finals with his choking play.

Leetonidas
10-11-2020, 10:20 AM
:lol Laker fans knowing Spurs fans pain now. If only every year was a contract year for Dleague Danny

timtonymanu
10-11-2020, 12:17 PM
Not sure how anyone who watched Danny the last few years with us would want him back.

Unless you have dementia

I mean shit the alternate we went for was starting Bryn Forbes. I’d still take washed up Danny green over him. Might not even be a thought next year if Lonnie and keldon continue to develop.

ElNono
10-11-2020, 03:13 PM
I mean shit the alternate we went for was starting Bryn Forbes. I’d still take washed up Danny green over him. Might not even be a thought next year if Lonnie and keldon continue to develop.

How about I wouldn't like to see either? That sounds like the best option overall.

BWS-1994
10-11-2020, 03:43 PM
Danny and his fiance getting death threats now?

timtonymanu
10-11-2020, 09:44 PM
Congrats to LDN, Danny League, one more ring than Nephew.

DAF86
10-11-2020, 09:57 PM
LDN doing what even the Spurs can't, b2b champion. :worthy:

R. DeMurre
10-11-2020, 10:52 PM
Damn, Danny Green sure has done well for himself. He has a personal back to back with two teams, has three rings total, and will go for a personal threepeat next year while making $15 mil. Not bad for the 46th pick in the draft.

DeRozan m8
10-12-2020, 03:45 AM

Both Bryn and Danny can be easily replaced by someone better though

I will never understand the Bryn thing

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-12-2020, 11:23 AM
Danny parlayed his Spurs success into two more rings. Good job for a guy on the downside of his career.

He looks pretty done at this point, though.

daslicer
10-12-2020, 11:53 AM
Danny parlayed his Spurs success into two more rings. Good job for a guy on the downside of his career.

He looks pretty done at this point, though.

I felt last year he made a bigger contribution in winning a ring. Him taking out Klay Thompson is what got the Raptors to win the series.