PDA

View Full Version : I talk about Pop's lack of accountability on video

8FOR!3
08-15-2020, 09:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhGu8seOGqw

I try to be as fair as possible. Watch the whole video, because I give Coach Pop credit where credit is undeniably due. 22 straight seasons of not missing the playoffs says everything you need to know about Pop as a coach. However, I do think once you win all those championships and have that kind of track record, it basically becomes where you no longer are held accountable for anything. Think Coach K at Duke, you can tell his teams while still top tier aren't as coached up as they were 10+ years ago. But at the same time these coach's track records are so good they're pretty much unapproachable.

The whole point of this video is basically, no I'm not trying to say I have any bit of the basketball acumen Pop has...but we all know the rotations weren't good during the season before the restart, and the young guys proved that they belonged all along in the 8 game restart. Reporters are essentially scared to ask him anything of substance. I think it's fair to criticize him and hold him accountable for his stubbornness and still recognize that he's the GOAT.

MultiTroll
08-15-2020, 01:15 PM
His "You guys (the media) keep asking me about the playoff streak" was simply a Strawman by Pop.

By proclaiming the sports media is hounding him about it (they have not been), he then tries to create the fake narrative of *I don't care about it* as if he is oh so humble. The schtick has been old for quite some time.

On to the point of reg season lineups, beyond horrible. It can be said that perhaps K Johnson would not have been as good as he was without the G League. Fair enough. But certainly by late in the season of course any coach with a BBIQ of over .00000001 would known that playing KJ along with starting White with DJ etc. Vs Bryn Beli Patty. :)

It was a great streak. Pop is not like Bellichek and clearly cannot adapt to modern NBA strategy.

He'll continue to provide entertainment next year. We can hope that after the Young Uns played well in the Bubble he will be forced to adjust.

8FOR!3
08-15-2020, 01:23 PM
His "You guys (the media) keep asking me about the playoff streak" was simply a Strawman by Pop.

By proclaiming the sports media is hounding him about it (they have not been), he then tries to create the fake narrative of *I don't care about it* as if he is oh so humble. The schtick has been old for quite some time.

On to the point of reg season lineups, beyond horrible. It can be said that perhaps K Johnson would not have been as good as he was without the G League. Fair enough. But certainly by late in the season of course any coach with a BBIQ of over .00000001 would known that playing KJ along with starting White with DJ etc. Vs Bryn Beli Patty. :)

It was a great streak. Pop is not like Bellichek and clearly cannot adapt to modern NBA strategy.

He'll continue to provide entertainment next year. We can hope that after the Young Uns played well in the Bubble he will be forced to adjust.

Good point about Keldon Johnson probably needing G League time the first half of the season. But when he was ready to be brought up, he should have replaced Belinelli in the rotation. Belinelli's shooting was not good.

Dejounte
08-15-2020, 02:06 PM
Good point about Keldon Johnson probably needing G League time the first half of the season. But when he was ready to be brought up, he should have replaced Belinelli in the rotation. Belinelli's shooting was not good.

He was already starting to take Beli's minutes but the season was stopped by covid. His minutes were increasing every game.

paperboy77
08-15-2020, 04:06 PM
He was already starting to take Beli's minutes but the season was stopped by covid. His minutes were increasing every game.

IMO Beli was an issue for the pt he was getting but not the main problem. Pop sticking to Bryn was the worst in the world.

weebo
08-15-2020, 04:50 PM
this was a learning year for the Spurs...develop the young guys while trying to get into the POs.

tbdog
08-15-2020, 05:26 PM
Forbes was the main issue. You can use Forbes for 15 min p/g here and there, and ride him when he is hot. You might even get away with it in the playoffs in the East. But to start him in the west and play him the third most minutes. Criminal.

timtonymanu
08-15-2020, 05:59 PM
He has to prove it through his offseason changes. If he’s just gonna pull the same nonsense like giving charity minutes to Forbes and still relying on Patty and Beli like he did or just any of the crap he did this season, then honestly Pop better go. He’s already losing it and typical Pop won’t take accountability for anything. Smh.

I don’t care about his reputation, gtfo the team with that toxic mindset.

Spurtacular
08-15-2020, 06:17 PM
this was a learning year for the Spurs...develop the young guys while trying to get into the POs.

Every year is a learning year for you.

GAustex
08-15-2020, 07:31 PM
Spurs under performed and it is attributed to one thing-poop

BackHome
08-15-2020, 08:20 PM
Unless we were secretly tanking :eyebrows

spurs10
08-15-2020, 08:39 PM
Having won 5 NBA Champions in a 15 year time is a record few coaches in the NBA today will match. After scumbag demanded a trade after we paid him 19 million to rehab for an entire season, we were not in a position to compete for a championship. The 'Bubble' was a good way to end the season. It was fun. However, I don't think after going to the playoffs for an outstanding 22 years in a row Pop was fixated on any record. 22 years is extremely impressive.

He's a 1st ballot Hall Of Fame coach.

K...
08-15-2020, 08:45 PM
The "ow forbes sucks" kind of ignores that the good guards (tony parker, murray, lonnie, and white) have all had major injuries that kept them from being in the lineup, meanwhile mills, forbes, belli are fucking unkillable.

Yes, pop played Mills and forbes too much but it's not entirely his fault.

RC_Drunkford
08-17-2020, 01:27 PM
send Flopovich to a forster home

DMC
08-17-2020, 10:29 PM
I think you're a good analyst of sorts but you spent most of the video offering disclaimers for your opinion. You don't need to do that. Pop doesn't give 2 shits what fans think about his rotations and history shows he's going to spend most of the season experimenting. He doesn't care about what most people think successful seasons mean, he wants to see individuals work hard and get something from it. It sucks he's a coach more than a president of basketball operations, because his interest seems focused on the personal coaching aspect more than building a competitive team.

I think Pop knows what he has, and when you don't have enough building blocks to contend (after what he's been through for 20+ years) then you just make decisions that seem silly to fans hoping to see the playoffs again. Most coaches are fighting for their jobs, trying to make the playoffs any way they can (and that's not a guarantee of employment, just ask Dwayne Casey, Lionel Hollins or George Karl). Pop has this freedom to experiment thanks to him not fucking up too much during the Duncan years. What's amusing is that other teams think Pop could plug and play when even recent history shows most stars don't really want to play for him.

I feel like Pop is always looking for another Tony or Manu, or Kawhi. He seems to hard stop people we think are talented right away, and lets the obvious dead enders run amok.

Finally, the media has asked Pop countless times about the streak, he brushed it off and refused to comment on it.

BackHome
08-17-2020, 10:46 PM
Well I am thinking since he put up for sale his White Mansion I wonder if that means this was his last year?