PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Priority #1: Don't Re-sign Bryn Forbes

timvp
08-16-2020, 10:54 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/bryn-forbes-san-antonio-spurs-free-agency/

Even if the Spurs could re-sign him at the same salary (approximately $3 million), I wouldn't be on board. Sorry.

Dejounte
08-16-2020, 11:00 PM
Lmao to make an article about Bryn like this is gold.

On topic though, I think i would take him back if it was only 3 million, provided he plays very limited minutes and ends up as a backup for guys who get injured.

ducks
08-16-2020, 11:05 PM
No I would rather give minutes to someone else their d can only be better

ducks
08-16-2020, 11:06 PM
I doubt he wants to resign now if he thinks he has to come off the bench

ducks
08-16-2020, 11:07 PM
Think new coach and gm may be number one priority

Dejounte
08-16-2020, 11:10 PM

Even if the Spurs could re-sign him at the same salary (approximately $3 million), I wouldn't be on board. Sorry.

Also, dont you think youre lowering his trade value by posting this article? What if a GM was like... Hmm should I take Bryn from the Spurs for our 15th pick? Their GM was pretty convincing.... Let me google him.... *Finds timvps article* wait wtf! He sucks!

r0drig0lac
08-16-2020, 11:10 PM

On topic though, I think i would take him back if it was only 3 million, provided he plays very limited minutes and ends up as a backup for guys who get injured.please no

Robz4000
08-16-2020, 11:11 PM
Not a doubt in my mind he'll be back tbh. At least if Pop is still around.

Dejounte
please no

3 mil is nothing brah..

kht
Eh, he can easily become a spark plug off the bench for another team. Go get paid Bryn. You earned it.

exstatic
08-16-2020, 11:13 PM
We’ve been talking about the cap figure for next year, and they’re going to have a hard time putting together a full roster, even if they bring back none of the expirings. The cap is $109M, and the Spurs have $120m in salary set for next year already, and that’s 12 guys, including partials for Metu, Lyles, and Zeller. They already have to sign one more player to hit the minimum of 13, so if they cut any of these 3, the replacements will have to be cheap.

Keep in mind that we missed the playoffs, so being a taxpayer probably isn’t on the table. It wouldn’t shock me if the Spurs Danny Greened DeRozan for the same offense: opting in when they really didn’t want him to. If they could dump him into someone’s capspace, that would make putting a decent roster together much easier.

Nivek_ogre
08-16-2020, 11:19 PM
He's the main reason this team was so bad this season. Not totally his fault because he doesn't decide if he plays or not but I'm tired of that subject. His attitude and defence sucks. He'd be valuable if he shot lights out but that only happens once every 12 games.

r0drig0lac
08-16-2020, 11:28 PM
3 mil is nothing brah..
it's not about the salary, if he is in the roster, he will definitely play .... that's the problem.

TimDunkem
08-16-2020, 11:30 PM
He's literally one of the worst players in the NBA. He'll be out of the league in a few years.

Dejounte
08-16-2020, 11:31 PM
He's the main reason this team was so bad this season. Not totally his fault because he doesn't decide if he plays or not but I'm tired of that subject. His attitude and defence sucks. He'd be valuable if he shot lights out but that only happens once every 12 games.

Nah, i think the main problem was we went into the season thinking two forwards would be big contributors but they weren't (Morris, Carroll).

TimDunkem
08-16-2020, 11:31 PM
it's not about the salary, if he is in the roster, he will definitely play .... that's the problem.
There is not one player he can defend in the NBA. Every single player he matched up against scored on him.

Dejounte
08-16-2020, 11:32 PM

Like i said, if he only plays in garbage time, hes fine.

FutureMan
08-16-2020, 11:39 PM
Which teams would even start him though??

timvp
08-17-2020, 12:01 AM

i would take him back if it was only 3 million, provided he plays very limited minutes and ends up as a backup for guys who get injured.

if he only plays in garbage time, hes fine.

https://i.imgur.com/3SSu3ed.jpeg

timvp
08-17-2020, 12:05 AM
Not a doubt in my mind he'll be back tbh.

Kori Ellis: What are you writing about?
timvp: I'm writing about Bryn Forbes and why the Spurs shouldn't re-sign him.
Kori Ellis: K ....... but you know they're going to re-sign him, right? :lol
timvp: .... :(

KobesAchilles
08-17-2020, 12:11 AM
It's priority #1...2...3....4...Lebron James style...5...6...https://www.google.com/search?q=lebron+not+one+not+two+gif&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwivyre9vKHrAhWNdqwKHeGhDd4Q2-cCegQIABAA&oq=lebron+not+one+not+two+gif&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQA1CrM1iwOWCeOmgAcAB4AIABLYgBogGSAQE 0mAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWfAAQE&sclient=img&ei=HRE6X-_HNI3tsQXhw7bwDQ&bih=903&biw=1920#imgrc=B62pUBn4tt4A2M

Robz4000
08-17-2020, 12:21 AM
Kori Ellis (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=6): What are you writing about?
timvp (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8): I'm writing about Bryn Forbes and why the Spurs shouldn't re-sign him.
Kori Ellis (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=6): K ....... but you know they're going to re-sign him, right? :lol
timvp (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8): .... :(

:depressed

ElNono
08-17-2020, 12:34 AM

sup brah, this thread is 3 years too late, tbh.. but thanks nonetheless

BG_Spurs_Fan
08-17-2020, 12:41 AM
The only chance of not re-signing him would be if some GM saves them from themselves and offers him a great contract.

NASpurs
08-17-2020, 12:55 AM
sup brah, this thread is 3 years too late, tbh.. but thanks nonetheless

Edgelord subject title by Popoligists three years too late.

R. DeMurre
08-17-2020, 12:55 AM
Yep, agree 100%... I'd go as far to say that if Forbes averaged 20 mpg this season instead of 25 mpg, the Spurs would be in the playoffs.

spurs10
08-17-2020, 01:33 AM
This makes my head hurt. Especially Kori's, likely dead-on, premonition. I'm sure Pop was just trying to raise his value for the sake of his kids. Hopefully someone bites.

Fireball
08-17-2020, 02:09 AM
Amen

objective
08-17-2020, 03:07 AM
Forbes is terrible.

There is no salary he's acceptable at anymore. Maybe if Mills was traded, but even then, Weatherspoon is probably better.

Shakril
08-17-2020, 04:09 AM
Forbes alone has cost the spurs at least 4-5 games. How many close games did the spurs lose, cause Forbes couldnt guard a hydrant, while better players like White, Johnson or Poeltl were sitting and watching this catastrophe.

No Forbes, Spurs Playoffs. Somehow i think pop wanted to end the streak on purpose. Thats why forbes played so much.

DAF86
08-17-2020, 05:23 AM
timvp can you change the "happy", "amused", "excited", "indifferent", "sad", "angry" reactions on the articles? Many times they don't reflect what we feel. For example this piece, I'm 100% with you on the matter, but how should I react? I'm neither happy, excited, sad or anything else there. I would just like to put "like" or "I agree". :lol

RC_Drunkford
08-17-2020, 05:38 AM
Forbes alone has cost the spurs at least 4-5 games. How many close games did the spurs lose, cause Forbes couldnt guard a hydrant, while better players like White, Johnson or Poeltl were sitting and watching this catastrophe.

No Forbes, Spurs Playoffs. Somehow i think pop wanted to end the streak on purpose. Thats why forbes played so much.

10-15 games , not exaggerating

Chomag
08-17-2020, 07:30 AM
I could go on and on on the shortcomings of Forbes but we all allready know what they are even those that won't admit it. So I won't beat that dead horse...

However him taking minutes away from players that that are clearly much better then him is pure insanity. It's like taking a Prius to a race trackmeet when you have a Ferrari sitting in your garage.

BackHome
08-17-2020, 08:01 AM
Nice kid but it’s time to move on and Mills is the exact same player so we don’t need two undersized SG in the team. Some team could use him Lort know Philly needs some outside shooting.

BillMc
08-17-2020, 08:06 AM
I mean timvp's writing is always excellent (the main reason I come here) but did we really need yet another thread bashing Forbes? You had to know people were just going to pile on.

Nivek_ogre
08-17-2020, 08:07 AM
Nah, i think the main problem was we went into the season thinking two forwards would be big contributors but they weren't (Morris, Carroll).

Those players didn't matter once the season was under way because they were non factors playing wise. Bryn started and played lots of minutes over better players. He's definitely a case of subtraction by addition.

FutureMan
08-17-2020, 08:16 AM
If they resign Forbes I feel like Mills will be traded to the Warriors for a couple 2nd’s. Maybe that’s why Mills didn’t play that much in the bubble?

look_at_g_shred
08-17-2020, 08:20 AM
I had a dream that nephew was back on the team.......it felt so real lol

Dex
08-17-2020, 08:42 AM

Hopefully this quote from Pop isn't as damning as it appears on the surface. This feels like a loaded question for the reporter to ask.

What is Pop supposed to say? "Yeah, we don't really like his short ass and can't wait to be rid of him"?

Also, this came at the beginning of this season when Forbes was still coming off an overachieving year...I wonder if Pop would still feel the same after another season of watching him (and the team) underperform.

Either way, Pop is never going to be the guy to throw his own players under the bus (accept for when he annually pulls the soft card, but he does that for the team as a whole). If Pop can say nice things that will help a guy get a payday elsewhere (like Boban, J-Simms, Anderson, Baynes, etc..) he will try to do that.

That said, I definitely do not want Forbes back next season. Like OP said, we already are hamstrung at the SG position and any minutes given to Bryn would just be stunting the development of more talented and well-rounded players Murray, White, Walker, KJ, and even Witherspoon.

The only way Bryn makes sense is a spark-plug off the bench or filling garbage time, but if the last two seasons have taught us anything, I don't trust Pop to use him in that capacity.

SpurSpike
08-17-2020, 08:44 AM
If they resign Forbes I feel like Mills will be traded to the Warriors for a couple 2nd’s. Maybe that’s why Mills didn’t play that much in the bubble?

This.

I saw an article from a golden state themed website a few weeks back that said they were looking closely at the Spurs this off season to possibly have a fire sale on vets. The two players they are looking at are Mills and Rudy. Golden state is one of the few organizations I think Pop would be willing to trade Mills to seeing as they will be a strong team and Pop has a good relationship with Kerr. If there was ever a time to extract value out of Mills this is the time to do it. If Pop is serious about going all in on the youth next season, a culture reset seems inevitable.

With that said i feel if they do trade Mills we are probably keeping Forbes, but if he is willing to take the backseat spark plug off the bench role Mills has occupied it may not be all that bad to keep Forbes if the price is right and lets be honest, the Spurs have the upper hand on those negotiations.

mo7888
08-17-2020, 10:14 AM
This.

I saw an article from a golden state themed website a few weeks back that said they were looking closely at the Spurs this off season to possibly have a fire sale on vets. The two players they are looking at are Mills and Rudy. Golden state is one of the few organizations I think Pop would be willing to trade Mills to seeing as they will be a strong team and Pop has a good relationship with Kerr. If there was ever a time to extract value out of Mills this is the time to do it. If Pop is serious about going all in on the youth next season, a culture reset seems inevitable.

With that said i feel if they do trade Mills we are probably keeping Forbes, but if he is willing to take the backseat spark plug off the bench role Mills has occupied it may not be all that bad to keep Forbes if the price is right and lets be honest, the Spurs have the upper hand on those negotiations.

I agree with this... I think we keep either Mills or Forbes. I'm hoping we keep Mills because I do think he adds more stability along side the young guys and his contract comes off next summer.

Floyd Pacquiao
08-17-2020, 10:40 AM
How confident really are y’all that the spurs aren’t gonna resign him patty mills style at midnight? It’s gonna happen... you can feel it.... It’s a damn disgrace that some posters here have more sense when it comes to this than pop does.

TimDunkem
08-17-2020, 10:42 AM
He can do nothing well. Even his best "skill", shooting, isn't very good. He's a chucker more than anything.

Can not pass, run an offense, or break down a defense.

THERE IS NOT A PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE HE CAN GUARD.

Not even valuable as an end of the bench piece as there are countless "shooters" in this league, some of which will be cheaper.

We already have two of those aforementioned shooters in Belinelli and Mills. Both are better players.

He isn't even a bargain at his current deal considering all his issues, and he will likely expect MORE.

We already have so many guards. He will only take PT away from better players.

He will likely be out of the league in a few years.

If he did stay, he will not only be overpaid but overplayed. He will never be the 15th man which is where he belongs if you're forced to shoehorn him onto the team.

There is literally no reason to retain him.

Dex
08-17-2020, 10:52 AM
I mean timvp's writing is always excellent (the main reason I come here) but did we really need yet another thread bashing Forbes? You had to know people were just going to pile on.

I don't disagree.

But if there is one thing the Spurs could do that will piss me off this offseason, it will be bringing back Forbes (especially if we overpay him).

I'm fine with DeMar opting in. I'm fine with Aldridge and Gay coming back. I'm fine with us having another quiet offseason where we don't make any blockbuster moves (like usual).

But Forbes has become my scapegoat, and I will die on this hill if I need to.

Seems like a nice kid, but....bye Felicia.

TimDunkem
08-17-2020, 10:54 AM
I don't disagree.

But if there is one thing the Spurs could do that will piss me off this offseason, it will be bringing back Forbes (especially if we overpay him).

I'm fine with DeMar opting in. I'm fine with Aldridge and Gay coming back. I'm fine with us having another quiet offseason where we don't make any blockbuster moves (like usual).

But Forbes has become my scapegoat, and I will die on this hill if I need to.

Seems like a nice kid, but....bye Felicia.
It's a reasonable hill to die on. There are plenty of graphs that show this MF'er at the bottom of the league, but you don't even need numbers to see that there wasn't a player he "guarded" that didn't shit all over him this season.

TimDunkem
08-17-2020, 10:55 AM
This is the type of guy who COWERS on defense. He's the guy who moves out of the way. He's the one who allows his man to blow by him and watch his big guy behind him deal with it, taking his eyes off his next rotation. He's the guy who is the one missing all those important rotations in the big moments. He's the one who gives up 20 then throws up 3 fingers when he goes 1 of 8 from three. You play Forbes and you will hemorrhage points. Plain and simple. Teams were zeroing in on him all season.

Having Forbes and playing him is like shooting yourself in the foot when it comes to the ultimate goal of contending. It's like giving everyone else a head start in the race.

KobesAchilles
08-17-2020, 11:20 AM
I tried making a thread about his positive traits and play but everyone lost their shit in it and just bashed him. Sad really. The dude would be a fan favorite on any other franchise.

ducks
08-17-2020, 11:21 AM
I home derozan demands spurs let him walk

TimDunkem
08-17-2020, 11:23 AM
I tried making a thread about his positive traits and play but everyone lost their shit in it and just bashed him. Sad really. The dude would be a fan favorite on any other franchise.
lmao No he wouldn't. No one likes the guy who gives up 20 every night then throws up his fingers when he goes 1 for 8.

And, yeah, that's reasonable when you try to polish a turd or put lipstick on a pig.

Dex
08-17-2020, 11:26 AM

Being a "fan favorite" doesn't bring results.

Marks was a fan favorite. Bonner was a fan favorite. Boban was a fan favorite.

No one is saying Bryn is a bad guy, or that he isn't like by the fans or his teammates. The problem is that he is just not suited to be a high-level NBA player (and may even be a fringe NBA player).

Those things don't always co-exist.

TimDunkem
08-17-2020, 11:29 AM
Some of you have gladly accepted the shit sandwiches Greg Poop feeds you and are calling them delicious and it's sad.

TDomination
08-17-2020, 11:51 AM
Just knowing that he is not coming back would make my summer.

KobesAchilles
08-17-2020, 12:13 PM
Being a "fan favorite" doesn't bring results.

Marks was a fan favorite. Bonner was a fan favorite. Boban was a fan favorite.

No one is saying Bryn is a bad guy, or that he isn't like by the fans or his teammates. The problem is that he is just not suited to be a high-level NBA player (and may even be a fringe NBA player).

Those things don't always co-exist.
He produced more 3 pointers made than anyone else on the team. He gave room for DDR and LMA to work. We made it to the playoffs with him last year and had a winning record with him last year. Dejounte is the one who fucked things up and didn’t produce. You want to blame someone then blame Dejounte for making a whopping 34 threes this year. Bryn was responsible for 33% of our production from downtown.

TD 21
08-17-2020, 12:14 PM
The biggest problem with him bringing him back isn't the act itself (they need all the volume 3-point shooting they can get), it's that because he's played such a prominent role in recent seasons, that it won't be to be the 11th man.

It'll probably be at the expense of one of Johnson/Walker being a permanent fixture in the rotation when they have the full squad. Sure, having a fully squad is rare in this league, so they'll still play a good amount, but still.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-17-2020, 12:15 PM

Hopefully this quote from Pop isn't as damning as it appears on the surface. This feels like a loaded question for the reporter to ask.

What is Pop supposed to say? "Yeah, we don't really like his short ass and can't wait to be rid of him"?

Also, this came at the beginning of this season when Forbes was still coming off an overachieving year...I wonder if Pop would still feel the same after another season of watching him (and the team) underperform.

Either way, Pop is never going to be the guy to throw his own players under the bus (accept for when he annually pulls the soft card, but he does that for the team as a whole). If Pop can say nice things that will help a guy get a payday elsewhere (like Boban, J-Simms, Anderson, Baynes, etc..) he will try to do that.

That said, I definitely do not want Forbes back next season. Like OP said, we already are hamstrung at the SG position and any minutes given to Bryn would just be stunting the development of more talented and well-rounded players Murray, White, Walker, KJ, and even Witherspoon.

The only way Bryn makes sense is a spark-plug off the bench or filling garbage time, but if the last two seasons have taught us anything, I don't trust Pop to use him in that capacity.

Please, Pop, please don't resign Forbes. I think we caught a glimpse of how competitive the Spurs can still be without playing this guy that, in no way, shape, or form, should be in the NBA.

No one is going to sign him. Let him have that test of the free agent market.

This will be a senility test for Pop, because if the Spurs spend any money on Brynn after witnessing first hand that they're better off without him, it means the old man has definitely lost it.

The bubble games restored some of my confidence in the FO and the Spurs ability to scout and develop talent. Signing Forbes to a new deal would ruin it.

Good article Timvp!

Mugen
08-17-2020, 12:23 PM
:lol Pop's #1 priority is making sure that POS is locked up for years to come.

FutureMan
08-17-2020, 12:28 PM
This.

If Mills is traded I could see Forbes signing a deal like JJ Barea’s last contract (4 years - 16 million). Only thing I would change is to have it decrease over time.

Year 1 - 4.3 million
Year 2 - 4 million
Year 3 - 3.9 million
Year 4 - 3.8 million

Leetonidas
08-17-2020, 12:30 PM
I really hope some retarded team like the Knicks offers him 8+ million a year so SA will let him walk. Otherwise he is going to be back next year. Just watch

Mugen
08-17-2020, 12:33 PM
I actually disagree in that the Spurs #1 priority is convincing Pop to retire tbh. :lol

crc21209
08-17-2020, 12:37 PM
He produced more 3 pointers made than anyone else on the team. He gave room for DDR and LMA to work. We made it to the playoffs with him last year and had a winning record with him last year. Dejounte is the one who fucked things up and didn’t produce. You want to blame someone then blame Dejounte for making a whopping 34 threes this year. Bryn was responsible for 33% of our production from downtown.

I agree that he's probably the best 3 point shooter on the team. But he didnt even do that right this year. His shooting regressed and he sucks in every other area of the game. He throws lazy passes, he gets blown by on defense almost every time down the floor, etc. etc. etc.

Dverde
08-17-2020, 12:59 PM
I like how OG Pop would say no one is guaranteed to start....now Pop kept referring to Forbes as a “starter”.

SpurSpike
08-17-2020, 01:05 PM
If Forbes would just draw a charge every once in a while he would be a much better player. Its hard to believe that you can be an undersized starter in the NBA for 2 years and NEVER draw a single charge! If you are a small NBA player one of the best things you can do on the defensive end is take a charge. This is the biggest difference between him and Mills tbh, Mills is willing to take a charge.

If we do bring him back there better be some clause that adds a bonus if he takes a certain # of charges.

Especially since teams started targeting him and singling him out as the weak link in our rotation, he should be racking up charges left and right.

TimDunkem
08-17-2020, 01:23 PM
If Forbes would just draw a charge every once in a while he would be a much better player. Its hard to believe that you can be an undersized starter in the NBA for 2 years and NEVER draw a single charge! If you are a small NBA player one of the best things you can do on the defensive end is take a charge. This is the biggest difference between him and Mills tbh, Mills is willing to take a charge.

If we do bring him back there better be some clause that adds a bonus if he takes a certain # of charges.

Especially since teams started targeting him and singling him out as the weak link in our rotation, he should be racking up charges left and right.
Forbes cowers and backs off on defense. He might end his career never purposely trying to draw a charge.

RC_Drunkford
08-17-2020, 01:24 PM
they will resign him and act like it's a bargain. Pop then goes and either tries to start Mills or plays Mills and Forbes together off the bench next season.

NASpurs
08-17-2020, 01:34 PM
Mr Fake Hustle still fooling everyone.

Robz4000
08-17-2020, 01:42 PM
I really hope some retarded team like the Knicks offers him 8+ million a year so SA will let him walk. Otherwise he is going to be back next year. Just watch

Spurs would match that tbh.

Degoat
08-17-2020, 01:46 PM
I’m gonna get some hate for this but I hope we keep Forbes lol he just shouldn’t play ahead of white, Lonnie, Keldon, and DJ. If Patty takes on more of a player/coach thing and doesn’t play any I think Forbes would be fine in patty’s current role

ZeusWillJudge
08-17-2020, 02:00 PM
Go down the list and find the best available 3P shooter in the G-League. Sign him. Whoever he is, he's a better defender than Forbes.

But didn't Bryn have like a B+ average for the season in the grade threads?

Edit:

I’m gonna get some hate for this but I hope we keep Forbes

Let me be the first to officially hate that idea.

Uriel
08-17-2020, 02:09 PM
How does Bryn Forbes compare with Matt Bonner? Both were widely reviled in SpursTalk. Both were considered 3-point marksmen who were complete pushovers on defense. Yet Bonner was a plus-minus king while Forbes’ plus-minus is atrocious.

TimDunkem
08-17-2020, 02:19 PM
How does Bryn Forbes compare with Matt Bonner? Both were widely reviled in SpursTalk. Both were considered 3-point marksmen who were complete pushovers on defense. Yet Bonner was a plus-minus king while Forbes’ plus-minus is atrocious.
I was a top Bonner hater back in the day, but he was simply a choker. Still, he managed to play well during the regular season and always played at least average defense.

Forbes just sucks at everything.

itzsoweezee
08-17-2020, 02:27 PM
There is absolutely zero role for Forbes on this team. Please stop talking about "garbage time". Anytime he's on the court is garbage time

r0drig0lac
08-17-2020, 02:29 PM
How does Bryn Forbes compare with Matt Bonner?

Bonner was a mediocre nba player, Forbes is a mediocre cba player

Sugus
08-17-2020, 02:30 PM
Lol @ people trying to defend Forbes and his inexcusably bad showing this season on the counts that he is a "great shooter" and that he's had a large portion of the Spurs' made 3s. You can literally put any other SG in Forbes' role and give him Forbes' green as pasture light, and they'll have similar if not outright better results. This guy is a certified chucker... Literally no accountability from Pop or coaching, since he's been the "designated shooter" of the starters all season long. He's trash off ball, can't hold the rock for dear life when he does get it, no handles whatsoever, bad or inexistent passing ability beyond swinging it around on the perimeter (when he isn't taking it upon himself to bump his FGA into double figures), no athleticism or speed to speak of, no lateral quickness, no notable jumping ability, no finishing moves beyond that soft ass floater that he tries sometimes.... And I haven't begun speaking to his defensive woes.

You can put Weatherspoon in his exact role, and he would perform better. Murray as a SG, even considering his hesitance to shoot 3's, would perform better. In fact, I'm kind of struggling to think of players that would actively be worse at his role than he was this year, for the team as a whole. The solution to the Spurs' woes isn't to try to work around the Frankenstein starting lineup by trying to plug the obvious shooting hole with a one-dimensional, not-even-that-good-at-shooting "marksmen". You work it from the ground up, and try to create a balanced team, one that's fit for the modern game and can play on both ends of the floor. The league is actively and quickly moving away from one-dimensional players, especially when they're defensive sieves, and most especially at the guard positions. And if all this wasn't enough, you also have to take into account that the Spurs have a boatload of guards they need to develop and give minutes to, that have been hindered by Forbes' ubiquity in the lineups this season.

There is no place for Forbes on the Spurs, neither starting nor bench. We can easily run a DW/DJM/KJ starting trio, staggering either DW or DJ to run the bench with Patty/Weatherspoon at the 2 and Lonnie at the 3, with hopefully Lonnie moving to the 2 and a project 3 being brought along. Even if we trade Patty for assets, like we should, Weatherspoon has shown himself in the bubble to the point that you almost *have* to give him the chance, over a known commodity like Forbes. Just get him out... Before Pop starts drinking and getting in his feelings.

itzsoweezee
08-17-2020, 02:31 PM
I’m gonna get some hate for this but I hope we keep Forbes lol he just shouldn’t play ahead of white, Lonnie, Keldon, and DJ. If Patty takes on more of a player/coach thing and doesn’t play any I think Forbes would be fine in patty’s current role

Lol. Patty is light years better than Forbes

GAustex
08-17-2020, 02:33 PM
The problem is not Forbes it is who is playing him.

TimDunkem
08-17-2020, 03:06 PM
The problem is not Forbes it is who is playing him.
Yeah totally not Forbes fault that he isn't an NBA level player. Good point.

Dingle Barry
08-17-2020, 03:40 PM
Even if he was better than he is, bringing him back would be retarded. You can't have half your roster made up of shooting guards.

pad300
08-17-2020, 03:41 PM

On topic though, I think i would take him back if it was only 3 million, provided he plays very limited minutes and ends up as a backup for guys who get injured.

Does the term opportunity cost mean anything to you? Just No!

Dingle Barry
08-17-2020, 03:45 PM
Yeah totally not Forbes fault that he isn't an NBA level player. Good point.

But that's just how God made him :cry:cry:cry

SAGirl
08-17-2020, 04:41 PM

Although it’s a loaded question the one who brought up the subject of paying him was Pop. He said either we pay him or lose him. And that still remains the situation.

I think the only way the Spurs get saved from re-signing him is if someone really wants him and prices him out of their budget. That seems easy since from what I am reading the Spurs budget is tight after Murray’s extension kicks on, but the market is also depressed.

poopbox
08-17-2020, 04:41 PM
Arguably the flat out worse player in the nba...

Only saving grace is how many guards we have...

No way he is coming back...I think the "injury" he had was the polite way of the spurs telling him he won't be back...

SAGirl
08-17-2020, 04:53 PM
I liked this post not to favor Bryn but because I do think Dejounte has been very disappointing. I have mentioned it elsewhere and hoping he’s better next season of course...

Degoat
08-17-2020, 05:16 PM
Well Forbes is the best shooter on the team, but don’t worry, y’all will get yalls wish and he’ll go to a team like the Mavericks or Warriors and blossom like bertans did when he left

Sugus
08-17-2020, 05:32 PM
Well Forbes is the best shooter on the team, but don’t worry, y’all will get yalls wish and he’ll go to a team like the Mavericks or Warriors and blossom like bertans did when he left

His defensive woes alone are a bigger hindrance to the team than the plus in shooting he brings to the table, and Pop cannot realistically be trusted to put him in the role he deserves (5-10m spark bench SG) if he stays, so yeah... Hope he blossoms elsewhere tbh, don't really have anything against Forbes the person, he's got kids to feed.

Russ
08-17-2020, 05:44 PM

Forbes is the type of player whose production will go way up on a good team. He's a pure shooter who can hit big shots under pressure (witness the last Spurs' playoff game).

At this stage in the Spurs' rebuilding, he's the type of player who is easy to target for his poor defense. (Guys in his role on good teams aren't expected to stop their man one-on-one amid chaos -- just not his thing.)

That said, he is an asset who should be re-signed (even by the Spurs) for the right price.

(I'm expecting many of the following: :lmao

Don't disappoint. :))

timtonymanu
08-17-2020, 05:52 PM
I don’t care how nice he is in the lockerroom. Fuck Bryn Forbes. I will gladly start protesting the old man to retire if that faggot Forms is brought back in any capacity.

talkspurs
08-17-2020, 05:59 PM

You do realize bertans did not play this year also right. Murray was not the only change.

MultiTroll
08-17-2020, 06:12 PM
I don’t care how nice he is in the lockerroom. Fuck Bryn Forbes. I will gladly start protesting the old man to retire if that faggot Forms is brought back in any capacity.
You could be starting a movement.
Spurs Fans Lives Matter ?

Dverde
08-17-2020, 06:24 PM
Run! Bryn has an offer sheet! Don’t show it to Pop!

Leetonidas
08-17-2020, 07:10 PM

:lol Bertans being a 6'10" forward and a better shooter than Forbes makes him infinitely more valuable to an NBA roster than a midget SG with abysmal defense that can't even crack 40% from distance. Difference is if Spurs had traded Forbes to Washington and kept Bertans they'd have won like 10 more games :lol not even remotely comparable tbh

NASpurs
08-17-2020, 07:46 PM
:lol Bertans being a 6'10" forward and a better shooter than Forbes makes him infinitely more valuable to an NBA roster than a midget SG with abysmal defense that can't even crack 40% from distance. Difference is if Spurs had traded Forbes to Washington and kept Bertans they'd have won like 10 more games :lol not even remotely comparable tbh

Sounds more like Gary Neal than Bertans.

cjw
08-17-2020, 07:48 PM
We’ve been talking about the cap figure for next year, and they’re going to have a hard time putting together a full roster, even if they bring back none of the expirings. The cap is $109M, and the Spurs have $120m in salary set for next year already, and that’s 12 guys, including partials for Metu, Lyles, and Zeller. They already have to sign one more player to hit the minimum of 13, so if they cut any of these 3, the replacements will have to be cheap.

Keep in mind that we missed the playoffs, so being a taxpayer probably isn’t on the table. It wouldn’t shock me if the Spurs Danny Greened DeRozan for the same offense: opting in when they really didn’t want him to. If they could dump him into someone’s capspace, that would make putting a decent roster together much easier.

Not sure I agree. Even if you removed 100% of Demar’s salary and renounced everyone (including Poeltl), you’re right around $95 million. That’s only $14 million of space plus the smaller room exception, and you’re down two key players. Keep Poeltl at $8 million, and you’re probably down to $6 million of room plus the room exception. If we have learned anything, it’s VERY hard to find impact players for that type of money.

I’d rather keep Demar and operate over the cap with the larger MLE ... or keeping Poeltl. Probably can’t do both and operate under the tax.

Alternatively, you get Demar to opt in and be traded (or if he wants to go to a team with no cap space, sign and trade) and get back assets for him.

tl;dr = unless you’re significantly under the cap, cap space doesn’t do jack for you. Now if we’re talking about trading one of Mills or Gay too, plus moving on from Lyles, then significant space can be created.

TimDunkem
08-17-2020, 07:49 PM
Sounds more like Gary Neal than Bertans.

Gary could legitimately drop buckets from most areas of the court. He also had a big game in the Finals. Yeah Mike Miller with one shoe scored on him, but I bet Mike Miller on one shoe could score on Forbes RIGHT NOW.

K...
08-17-2020, 08:46 PM
Nice, Timvp, reverse psychology!

timtonymanu
08-17-2020, 09:45 PM
Gary could legitimately drop buckets from most areas of the court. He also had a big game in the Finals. Yeah Mike Miller with one shoe scored on him, but I bet Mike Miller on one shoe could score on Forbes RIGHT NOW.

I use to say Forbes was Gary Neal in the Danny Green role but Neal was at least useful during his time here. I seriously can’t think of a worse player at shooting guard than Forbes that was getting major minutes on the roster. That Lapro guy that was on the team for a bit couldn’t have been worse than Forms.

GAustex
08-17-2020, 09:49 PM
Every keyboard coach on this web site saw it. Opponents easy scores are soul sapping.
Poop playing Bryn was a yoke that was too great to bear.

superbigtime
08-17-2020, 10:34 PM
How confident really are y’all that the spurs aren’t gonna resign him patty mills style at midnight? It’s gonna happen... you can feel it.... It’s a damn disgrace that some posters here have more sense when it comes to this than pop does.

Guilty. This brought me back to reality.

Kurgan
08-17-2020, 11:50 PM
They will overpay him. Just like they did with Patty. The Kawhi drama left a lot of shattered egos in the Spurs front office so "culture" guys like Patty and Bryn are valuable to them unfortunatly.

KobesAchilles
08-18-2020, 07:55 AM
You just don’t let elite talent walk away. That’s all I’m saying. We will and should re-sign Bryn. He is an ELITE shooter

K...
08-18-2020, 09:16 AM
The forbes vs neal comparison omits how good a hack looked next to Tim Duncan. Duncan made tons of scrub guards viable

DAF86
08-18-2020, 09:33 AM
You just don’t let elite talent walk away. That’s all I’m saying. We will and should re-sign Bryn. He is an ELITE shooter

You are missing the blue font.

RC_Drunkford
08-18-2020, 12:37 PM

then Patty has to get traded and that ain’t happening. They pay him 13.5 million next year

weeks
08-18-2020, 01:07 PM
or a thanks maybe.
coz timvp deserves thanks for doing all this even when the team sucks

weeks
08-18-2020, 01:08 PM
You are missing the blue font.

sometimes, the things one says are so blue, the eye automatically adjusts the color

DPG21920
08-18-2020, 10:08 PM
I have no faith in the Spurs front office regarding free agency or trades. They will have to prove they are even competent let alone great here soon. They have been downright one of the worse front offices in the last few years in these areas.

Also while everyone loves Mills he proved leadership isn’t worth $ on a team without stars and that isn’t good. Great - they didn’t kill each other while losing. They still lost.

Murray and Lonnie and Keldon are the leaders. Players don’t respect the 9-12th guys if they suck no matter how nice

NASpurs
08-19-2020, 09:14 AM
I have no faith in the Spurs front office regarding free agency or trades. They will have to prove they are even competent let alone great here soon. They have been downright one of the worse front offices in the last few years in these areas.

Also while everyone loves Mills he proved leadership isn’t worth $ on a team without stars and that isn’t good. Great - they didn’t kill each other while losing. They still lost.

Murray and Lonnie and Keldon are the leaders. Players don’t respect the 9-12th guys if they suck no matter how nice

Remember when they traded Bertans for basically the guy in my avatar while getting the shaft from Morris and then eventually cutting Carroll? PATFO :lol

GAustex
08-19-2020, 09:42 AM
Carroll be styln though

GAustex
08-19-2020, 09:43 AM
On Holts dime