PDA

View Full Version : Pop bloviates on defunding the police as a great idea

wildbill2u
08-17-2020, 06:16 PM
https://worldnewsera.com/news/us-news/spurs-coach-gregg-popovich-celebrates-austins-move-to-defund-police/

ZeusWillJudge
08-17-2020, 07:41 PM
I was hoping nobody would even post about it. He's turned into a cartoon of himself.

SpurSpike
08-17-2020, 08:12 PM
Don't people understand how this works....

If you de-fund the police guess what you get instead of your local PD? Your county sheriff takes over, as if that is any better... All your doing is removing power from your local city and giving it to the county.

If you go further and de-fund county sheriffs the State Troopers take over, as if they are any better. All your doing is giving more control to the state.

You get rid of state troopers, what do you get? Federal troops, more power for the central government.

Like it or not local PD's are your local representation of law enforcement and its better that they stay than to give more power to the larger entities.

Many cities have different rules and your local PD is there to enforce them. If you make it so that larger entities control the cities it makes it harder for cities to make enforceable rules as the state police may not be familiar with your local law. This opens the door to giving the federal and state governments even more power because they will begin to dictate all the rules to simplify enforcement. Its a slippery slope.

Crazymaddopeyo
08-17-2020, 08:23 PM
He’s right. It’s a good idea, stop giving the police so much money and give it to other social programs. What’s so hard to get about that?

DMC
08-17-2020, 10:15 PM
Defund the game wardens.

DMC
08-17-2020, 10:16 PM
He’s right. It’s a good idea, stop giving the police so much money and give it to other social programs. What’s so hard to get about that?

Like more tents for the homeless, or a clean up crew so they can keep moving around like gypsies trashing up the place. Maybe a dumpster could be put where they camp so they can pile shit around it instead of in it, until one of them moves into the dumpster itself.

ZeusWillJudge
08-17-2020, 10:22 PM

Everything's simple on Sesame Street.

cd98
08-17-2020, 10:35 PM
It’s weird bc the minority communities want more police in their communities to cut back on crime. Those will be the first to feel the impact of a defund. The rich will still have police protection but the high crime areas will have less access to law enforcement.

Floyd Pacquiao
08-17-2020, 10:49 PM
Well maybe we should go after the police unions instead that give these shitty cops 2nd chance after 2nd chance. Redirect funding to more police training

widowmaker
08-17-2020, 10:49 PM
Defund the police so i can sneak into you guys house and slit your throats and nobody will find out until your moms start looking for you.

widowmaker
08-17-2020, 10:51 PM
Trump said that he has cops patrolling shut up and have faith it’s gonna be ok cause Trump said so.

Genovaswitness
08-17-2020, 10:51 PM
pop's brain is rotting while kawhi is looking like he's going to get his 3rd finals MVP. poetry in motion :toast

offset formation
08-17-2020, 11:07 PM
Everything's simple on Sesame Street.

You are aware that most of the other peer countries don't have police departments anything like we do, no? Ever been to Europe?

Also, maybe Americans shouldn't have guns readily available to us like most of the civilized world.

yavozerb
08-17-2020, 11:21 PM
You are aware that most of the other peer countries don't have police departments anything like we do, no? Ever been to Europe?

Also, maybe Americans shouldn't have guns readily available to us like most of the civilized world.
Pretty sure most of us do not want the United States to be like Europe. It's shit like this that well get trump voted for 2nd term. Still unsure of my vote, but I well always support law enforcement

Kurgan
08-17-2020, 11:34 PM
I'll take Pop seriously as soon as he stops accepting blood money from China. As long as he's employed by the NBA, he's also employed by China. The NBA never should have allowed China to invest in the league. It's made them a laughing stock anytime they pretend to care about human lives.

Crazymaddopeyo
08-18-2020, 12:27 AM
Pretty sure most of us do not want the United States to be like Europe. It's shit like this that well get trump voted for 2nd term. Still unsure of my vote, but I well always support law enforcement

You’re in luck because Biden and Harris love cops. Hell she was the top cop and they are not for defunding

El Santo
08-18-2020, 12:34 AM
You’re in luck because Biden and Harris love cops. Hell she was the top cop and they are not for defunding

������

DMC
08-18-2020, 12:51 AM
Well maybe we should go after the police unions instead that give these shitty cops 2nd chance after 2nd chance. Redirect funding to more police training

I would like to go up to one of those 12 bike deep speed traps and fire half of them, then send the other half to do something constructive, like cleaning bathrooms at the city park.

DMC
08-18-2020, 12:54 AM

Yes this is a win/win election. If Biden wins, the amount of face palming will be historic around here, and the shoe on the other foot will be interesting. On the other side, if orange man wins, the screaming and howling at the moon coupled with broken store windows (if any remain) in Portland will be notable, and the "I cost Joe the election" thread will be created downstairs.

ElNono
08-18-2020, 02:24 AM
Yes this is a win/win election. If Biden wins, the amount of face palming will be historic around here, and the shoe on the other foot will be interesting. On the other side, if orange man wins, the screaming and howling at the moon coupled with broken store windows (if any remain) in Portland will be notable, and the "I cost Joe the election" thread will be created downstairs.

Meltdowns will be epic on both sides, I concur... this is definitely the place to be post-election, tbh...

offset formation
08-18-2020, 08:10 AM

"Shit" like what, precisely? Free speech? Black Lives Matter? Wanting police units to stop acting like local military? You're a big boy, if shit like demanding the police stop killing ppl rubs you the wrong way, along with all the other issues wjerethe Republican party has shit the bed, then vote for that Orange Shitgibbon. Don't threaten me like my post is the thing that tipped the scales, lol. I'm having a hard enough time trying to will myself to vote for Biden, but posts like this have me rethinking that reticence...see how that works?

I love it when ppl say ignorant shit like this. Please, do tell me all the negative things about Europe. But please make sure to list where we are vs where a vast majority of European countries are on the World Index of Happiness.

Hint: we are well behind and falling, yr by yr.

Support Trump, Holmes. Sounds like you just need permission to back that egomaniacal, self-absorbed, sociopathic dunce because someone dared criticize police tactics. Go on. It's your conscious, not mine.

Ppl are fucking idiots.

tbdog
08-18-2020, 08:52 AM
America and your guns. They are shooting their brother and sisters, and their little children at schools. They think their invisible sky daddy cares a fuck about them. Their health system is a mess. Your crime and punishment is a mess. Watching from afar has been pretty entertaining. The empire is finally falling.

Trainwreck2100
08-18-2020, 08:59 AM
It's a stupid fucking slogan that always has to be explained. Because when people say it they mean the opposite.

K...
08-18-2020, 09:10 AM
That article is trash and used a misleading summary of the speech. He's doing the same thing he's done at most bubble press conference
[QUOTE]. All the systemic racism we talk about is still there because all we’ve done is talk about it for so long, and nothing has really happened,” he said, “or we’ve taken a step forward and two steps back, but to act the way you just described in San Antonio I hope and in Austin is the way that we have to do this. People will get it done.”

Popovich also used his time to talk about the 1955 lynching of black Mississippi man, Lamar Smith, who was murdered for registering blacks to vote. He then conflated that 65-year-old outrage to today’s election cycle as if it were still happening.

“I just want to bring that up as a reminder to everybody that this fight has been going on for a long time, and we can’t let people who want to suppress the vote win the day,” he said after relating the story of Smith’s lynching.QUOTE]

I don't know where that dumb article came from, but please continue to argue

Budkin
08-18-2020, 09:53 AM

THIS. All "defund the police" means is:

1) Stop equipping them like they are the military
2) Re-allocate some of their funding to social workers so that cops are not the first ones responding to crises involving mental health.

Done.

tmtcsc
08-18-2020, 09:57 AM
Comrade Popovich wants you should vote for chaos & communism. Sick bastard. Can we move him to Brooklyn for Levert and a bag of Funyuns? I won't be voting for Trump but Pop's lost his fucking mind with all his bullshit & extreme liberalism.

offset formation
08-18-2020, 10:23 AM
America and your guns. They are shooting their brother and sisters, and their little children at schools. They think their invisible sky daddy cares a fuck about them. Their health system is a mess. Your crime and punishment is a mess. Watching from afar has been pretty entertaining. The empire is finally falling.

Been failing for decades. It's just become so transparent for the world to see it now. Problem is that it's now an unstoppable train with too much momentum to halt before it does its damage.

Either it picks up momentum and does the world in or we slowly and quietly whimper to a lingering slow dissolution here. Either way, the US as you know it has a terminal disease.

Sadly, like a bull in a china shop, I'd count on the end of the world though if I were a betting man.

offset formation
08-18-2020, 10:25 AM
Comrade Popovich wants you should vote for chaos & communism. Sick bastard. Can we move him to Brooklyn for Levert and a bag of Funyuns? I won't be voting for Trump but Pop's lost his fucking mind with all his bullshit & extreme liberalism.

Liberalism is but the propping up of capitalism. He's a progressive. The world needs more like him.

wildbill2u
08-18-2020, 11:03 AM

She changes positions wherever the wind blows. Not unusual in a politician. The latest I saw on police defunding was a speech where she used the code word "reimagine the police" All the left knows that means fewer police and less enforcement, especially for what are considered by progressives laws aimed at minorities like DUIs , theft under 600$, and immediate release on personal recognizance bonds.

Leetonidas
08-18-2020, 11:06 AM
Defund does not mean abolish or get rid of. Some of yall are hella dumb. It means stop giving them tanks and armored vehicles and military tac gear

offset formation
08-18-2020, 11:11 AM
She changes positions wherever the wind blows. Not unusual in a politician. The latest I saw on police defunding was a speech where she used the code word "reimagine the police" All the left knows that means fewer police and less enforcement, especially for what are considered by progressives laws aimed at minorities like DUIs , theft under 600$, and immediate release on personal recognizance bonds.

That's a distorted view. It means changing the way and manner in which citizens interact with their law enforcement so that it's not immediately adversarial in nature. It means community policing. It means decriminalization of some or all drugs. It means the demilitarization of the police. It means disarming the police. It means turning police into eyes more than clubs, much like the way policing is done in much of the world.

A couple of cops walking the streets with whistles and batons.

It means a lot more than what you said.

Dirks_Finale
08-18-2020, 11:17 AM
Popovich is such a fool.

Let's defund the cops -- make their pay and pensions sh%tty so they can become like Mexico - start taking bribes from the cartels and become corrupt as hell. You think the PD is a corrupt, good old boy club now...just wait till they defend them.

offset formation
08-18-2020, 11:23 AM
Popovich is such a fool.

Let's defund the cops -- make their pay and pensions sh%tty so they can become like Mexico - start taking bribes from the cartels and become corrupt as hell. You think the PD is a corrupt, good old boy club now...just wait till they defend them.

Lol. Decriminalization and legalization of drugs solves part of that made up scenario.

cd98
08-18-2020, 11:41 AM
It's funny because Pop is to the left of Biden/Harris.

spurraider21
08-18-2020, 12:30 PM
Like more tents for the homeless, or a clean up crew so they can keep moving around like gypsies trashing up the place. Maybe a dumpster could be put where they camp so they can pile shit around it instead of in it, until one of them moves into the dumpster itself.
if you cant provide shelters for the homeless population, having the city designate encampment areas with some incredibly basic needs like water, etc, could go a long way. paying police to tear down tents and shoo people away isn't solving anything. its literally kicking the can

offset formation
08-18-2020, 12:32 PM
It's funny because Pop is to the left of Biden/Harris.

There's an entire wing of the Democratic party, plus the Green party that is too. Hell, if you want to break it down by the issues, on average about 75% of the Democrats are left of Biden (ex. 87% of registered Dems support M4A, etc.).

It's a sad thing the Dems did nominating such an establishmentarian old moderate hack.

ducks
08-18-2020, 01:43 PM
https://worldnewsera.com/news/us-news/spurs-coach-gregg-popovich-celebrates-austins-move-to-defund-police/

Oh he wants citizens to have guns to Protect us because we have no police

ducks
08-18-2020, 01:43 PM
Defund does not mean abolish or get rid of. Some of yall are hella dumb. It means stop giving them tanks and armored vehicles and military tac gear

No money means can not get trained

BackHome
08-18-2020, 03:44 PM
That's a distorted view. It means changing the way and manner in which citizens interact with their law enforcement so that it's not immediately adversarial in nature. It means community policing. It means decriminalization of some or all drugs. It means the demilitarization of the police. It means disarming the police. It means turning police into eyes more than clubs, much like the way policing is done in much of the world.

So next school shooting you want the cops to run in with batons. :bobo

stxspurs
08-18-2020, 03:45 PM
Less money=less cops/trainees
Less cops when you need them and before you say f the cops you will probably be the first to call when you get robbed, threatned, triggered or assaulted. Hope the social worker can help you when they arrive.
Armored trucks and gear have thier place in a police force.
If anything i can see more training required which cost money

Crazymaddopeyo
08-18-2020, 04:16 PM
Popovich is such a fool.

WTF? Their pay isn't going to change. Where do you get this info, it means they won't have military like weapons and they won't have to handle every single situation that comes up because other programs will start to be funded that can cover some of what they do right now. They'll be able to get more places because they aren't trying to get a cat out of a tree or whatever.

cool cat
08-18-2020, 04:47 PM

You are such an idiot.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/opinion/sunday/floyd-abolish-defund-police.html

Yes, We Mean Literally Abolish the Police

DMC
08-18-2020, 05:07 PM
if you cant provide shelters for the homeless population, having the city designate encampment areas with some incredibly basic needs like water, etc, could go a long way. paying police to tear down tents and shoo people away isn't solving anything. its literally kicking the can

You seem to think the "homeless population" is a static figure instead of people merging from shitty low income lifestyle where drugs are the detail of the day to simply being given everything they need while camping and sharing stories with close friends.

DMC
08-18-2020, 05:09 PM

Bobbies with whistles and strong condemnation

Joseph Kony
08-18-2020, 05:11 PM
You are such an idiot.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/opinion/sunday/floyd-abolish-defund-police.html

Yes, We Mean Literally Abolish the Police

wow so an opinion article from someone at NYT is your source? fucking moron :lol this is literally one persons opinion and not the majority you stupid fuck. it literally says OPINION at the very top :lmao :lmao try again dipshit

Joseph Kony
08-18-2020, 05:14 PM
right wingers: "we love our guns! we need them to protect ourselves! we dont call the police we shoot first! MAGA! GUNSSZZZ!!!"

also right wingers :cry "we need the police to protect us when black people are in our neighborhood" :cry

fucking pansy ass faggots :lol fuck you and your bitch ass police force

cool cat
08-18-2020, 05:26 PM
wow so an opinion article from someone at NYT is your source? fucking moron :lol this is literally one persons opinion and not the majority you stupid fuck. it literally says OPINION at the very top :lmao :lmao try again dipshit

Yes it's an OPINION you dumb ass, that is what we are talking about. Are you really that dumb you can't fucking understand that :lol:lol:lol

It's the opinion of a community organizer who is activity working on abolishing the police not some dumb ass poster on Spurstalk worried about police tanks.

BackHome
08-18-2020, 05:30 PM
You want to solve the problem is you need a hell of a lot more training as they have the most dangerous job but receive really crappy amount for having to put there life on the line every day. So you want to fix it well that’s a first then focus on mental health which is almost as bad as the drug problem we have going on right now. Third make weed legal legal I don’t think you can make all drugs like meth or heroine legal would have to also vastly increase access to quality Rehab centers.

Then need to totally look at our schools get rid of Teacher Unions actually pay teachers on merit based and definitely increase base salary. All teachers should have free education to pay for Masters or Doctorate and they should also receive more training. Change the whole outlook on school meaning understand that a lot kids don’t want to go to college but when they graduate they have no skills. So a big push would to go back to the old days and have trade schools ie mechanic, AC, Plumbing, IT, Nursing, Housing Construction etc. so these kids can graduate with a skill set to get a decent job in a trade industry they like.

Then focus on the College Scam no way prices should be that high you need to stop these colleges from getting all this free money from the government on all the loans they cover. You give the University no reason to Lower cost when they Know kids have access to loans for 20 grand a year. Also loans should only be for students majoring in something where they can actually get a job when they graduate some of the majors they have out there are ridiculous and students bitch when they can’t find a job with a shitty major. Also university should have grades open records how many of there students graduate and how many get jobs after 6 months of graduating and average salary there students are making.

Lastly I think we need to have classes in basic morality in school starting from day one just teaching kids to be kind to each other and understand that life is precious. It’s sad but Teachers are having to be parents so you might as well have some classes they can teach to help theses kids through school - yes if your gong to make drugs legal you should have students take anti drug classes so they know how fucked up there life will be if they get addicted to them.

BackHome
08-18-2020, 05:30 PM
You want to solve the problem is you need a hell of a lot more training as they have the most dangerous job but receive really crappy amount for having to put there life on the line every day. So you want to fix it well that’s a first then focus on mental health which is almost as bad as the drug problem we have going on right now. Third make weed legal legal I don’t think you can make all drugs like meth or heroine legal would have to also vastly increase access to quality Rehab centers.

Then need to totally look at our schools get rid of Teacher Unions actually pay teachers on merit based and definitely increase base salary. All teachers should have free education to pay for Masters or Doctorate and they should also receive more training. Change the whole outlook on school meaning understand that a lot kids don’t want to go to college but when they graduate they have no skills. So a big push would to go back to the old days and have trade schools ie mechanic, AC, Plumbing, IT, Nursing, Housing Construction etc. so these kids can graduate with a skill set to get a decent job in a trade industry they like.

Then focus on the College Scam no way prices should be that high you need to stop these colleges from getting all this free money from the government on all the loans they cover. You give the University no reason to Lower cost when they Know kids have access to loans for 20 grand a year. Also loans should only be for students majoring in something where they can actually get a job when they graduate some of the majors they have out there are ridiculous and students bitch when they can’t find a job with a shitty major. Also university should have grades open records how many of there students graduate and how many get jobs after 6 months of graduating and average salary there students are making.

Lastly I think we need to have classes in basic morality in school starting from day one just teaching kids to be kind to each other and understand that life is precious. It’s sad but Teachers are having to be parents so you might as well have some classes they can teach to help theses kids through school - yes if your gong to make drugs legal you should have students take anti drug classes so they know how fucked up there life will be if they get addicted to them.

spurraider21
08-18-2020, 05:31 PM
You seem to think the "homeless population" is a static figure instead of people merging from shitty low income lifestyle where drugs are the detail of the day to simply being given everything they need while camping and sharing stories with close friends.
i didnt say its a static figure or imply that poor life choices didnt contribute to their predicament, but they are there nonetheless and are a non-insignificant portion of our population. but addressing an issue that impacts a large group of people would ordinarily have to be done systemically.

Nivek_ogre
08-18-2020, 05:36 PM
Right wing idiots have no idea what defunding the police means.

Dirks_Finale
08-18-2020, 05:37 PM
WTF? Their pay isn't going to change. Where do you get this info, it means they won't have military like weapons and they won't have to handle every single situation that comes up because other programs will start to be funded that can cover some of what they do right now. They'll be able to get more places because they aren't trying to get a cat out of a tree or whatever.

"Defunding police means defunding police"

~Liberal hero and think tank, AOC

Dirks_Finale
08-18-2020, 05:40 PM
Recent mobs of BLM pukes ganging up on innocent folks proves more than ever that police aren't enough. You need home protection....or MORE police. Take your pick.

right wingers: "we love our guns! we need them to protect ourselves! we dont call the police we shoot first! MAGA! GUNSSZZZ!!!"

also right wingers :cry "we need the police to protect us when black people are in our neighborhood" :cry

fucking pansy ass faggots :lol fuck you and your bitch ass police force

offset formation
08-18-2020, 06:32 PM

Perhaps kids shouldn't be accessing military-style weapons? Just a thought.

Also, nowhere did I say there couldn't be armed portions or units. That would be a far cry from what we see nowadays where every damn cop is rolling out with the latest and greatest military bling like they're patrolling Mogadishu or some shit.

The average beat cop though should be unarmed, building relationships. Like they do in much of the world. Think that sounds ridiculous? Maybe we have a gun problem?

R. DeMurre
08-18-2020, 06:33 PM
From a public relations standpoint, Defund is a poor choice of words. I think what most people mean is Reevaluate or Reassess the Police. The Right and the Left will wind up arguing endlessly about the semantics of this phrase, rather than actually doing anything to improve policing.

offset formation
08-18-2020, 06:37 PM
From a public relations standpoint, Defund is a poor choice of words. I think what most people mean is Reevaluate or Reassess the Police. The Right and the Left will wind up arguing endlessly about the semantics of this phrase, rather than actually doing anything to improve policing.

Well that's precisely what it means. Too bad the education level of most ppl prevents them from seeking more information on things that sound odd at first rather than just accepting it outright. But alas, I suppose the marketing on it could be better.

Dirks_Finale
08-18-2020, 07:30 PM

Also, nowhere did I say there couldn't be armed portions or units. That would be a far cry from what we see nowadays where every damn cop is rolling out with the latest and greatest military bling like they're patrolling Mogadishu or some shit.

The average beat cop though should be unarmed, building relationships. Like they do in much of the world. Think that sounds ridiculous? Maybe we have a gun problem?

LMAO

Yes, I'm sure the muggers, killers and rapists will lay down their arms and by influenced by all the talking the unarmed cops will be doing :lol

Joseph Kony
08-18-2020, 07:49 PM
Yes it's an OPINION you dumb ass, that is what we are talking about. Are you really that dumb you can't fucking understand that :lol:lol:lol

It's the opinion of a community organizer who is activity working on abolishing the police not some dumb ass poster on Spurstalk worried about police tanks.

lol cry more faggot. :lol one person saying that in an opinion piece doesnt mean that literally everyone, or even the majority, of people who are for defunding the police want them completely abolished. go back to playing with your little dick while tyrone fucks your wife cus being a cuck is clearly your calling

Joseph Kony
08-18-2020, 07:50 PM
Recent mobs of BLM pukes ganging up on innocent folks proves more than ever that police aren't enough. You need home protection....or MORE police. Take your pick.

lol another cuck whiteboy afraid of black people :lol

:cry they're ganging up on us. :cry

cool cat
08-18-2020, 09:04 PM
lol cry more faggot. :lol one person saying that in an opinion piece doesnt mean that literally everyone, or even the majority, of people who are for defunding the police want them completely abolished. go back to playing with your little dick while tyrone fucks your wife cus being a cuck is clearly your calling

Only bitch that is crying about it being an opinion is you. :lol

Dirks_Finale
08-18-2020, 10:13 PM
lol another cuck whiteboy afraid of black people :lol

:cry they're ganging up on us. :cry

What are you like 12?

cool cat
08-18-2020, 10:39 PM
What are you like 12?

Nah he is one of those sick freaks who project their sexual fantasy's on internet forums.

Bellboy
08-19-2020, 02:20 AM
Defund the Spurs Front Office.

With the contracts they’ve given out the past 3 years, they obviously had to much money to waste in their budget.

offset formation
08-19-2020, 07:54 AM
LMAO

Yes, I'm sure the muggers, killers and rapists will lay down their arms and by influenced by all the talking the unarmed cops will be doing :lol

It only sounds ridiculous because the US has a sociopathic relationship with guns and individualism. We could be more like other places if we wanted to where your response would be laughable. Laws could change. Etc.

But I'm also not naive. I know it's not happening. Not in 'Murikkka.

Mal
08-19-2020, 09:52 AM
Lol

wildbill2u
08-19-2020, 01:50 PM

well, you made a fuller disclosure of the code word "reimagine" than I did because I didn't want to go as far as you did. Thanks, for making my viewpoint on police clearer. I have had more interaction than many with police. People who have a lot of interaction are probably in the wrong in the first place. I don't believe police go looking for trouble in most instances.

pad300
08-19-2020, 06:01 PM

Lying left wing asshole alert!

Let's take a look a what Defund means, where they are trying to do it:

https://nypost.com/2020/06/26/minneapolis-city-council-approves-measure-to-abolish-police-force/

"The Minneapolis City Council on Friday unanimously approved a measure to abolish the city’s police department — a radical proposal amid nationwide efforts by activists to defund local law enforcement agencies."

I will note, that thus far this has been thwarted by the city charter (which specifies a police department and a minimum size), so they are now trying to achieve their goal with a ballot measure - at least the citizens of Minneapolis will get a vote... But no mistake, despite all the leftwing assholes trying to lie about it, so it won't kill them in this election, defund means get rid of.

spurraider21
04-20-2021, 07:52 PM
pop might not be a good coach anymore, but he still brings the goods off the court

:bobo

Allan Rowe vs Wade
04-20-2021, 07:57 PM
disarm the police tbh

Mr. Body
04-20-2021, 08:37 PM
Police do need to be defunded. End qualified immunity. Stop the predation of civil asset forfeiture. If they lose lawsuits, they need to pay for their crimes themselves, instead of taking from taxpayers.

Biggest criminal gang in the United States is the police. They cannot be above the law.

BackHome
04-20-2021, 09:32 PM

The problem is we have a Drug problem in this country which has caused most if not all the problems we are dealing with right now. We have had the War on Drugs since I was a kid and we have been loosing the War ever since we started and the stuff keeps getting more addicting and more lethal every year

If we didn't have such a Drug problem that would work but when a Crack head want's his high he will stab/shoot/beat you for a dollar that ain't no joke - No way would want to be a Cop even if I had a gun but if you said no Guns you would have no Cops

But I agree Police need to tone down the Military newest equipment thing - there is a time and place for that but not every day and not every officer

paperboy77
04-20-2021, 09:39 PM
Some right wing, hardcore conservative person with $$$$ please get me tickets behind Pop and I WILL HECKLE MY ASS OFF OVER SHIT LIKE THIS!

I would most certainly do it.

On another note... how the hell do we still support this idiot? The crap he is spewing isn't helping anything or any side!

Please get me tickets (x2) and I will go to town heckling!

GAustex
04-20-2021, 09:45 PM
Pretty sure if you get out of line they will show you the door.
Spurs do not tolerate going after pop. Hell booing is frowned upon.

BatManu20
04-20-2021, 09:47 PM
Pretty sure if you get out of line they will show you the door.
Spurs do not tolerate going after pop. Hell booing is frowned upon.

Sounds like a dictatorship tbh. :lol

Mr. Body
04-20-2021, 10:34 PM
The problem is we have a Drug problem in this country which has caused most if not all the problems we are dealing with right now. We have had the War on Drugs since I was a kid and we have been loosing the War ever since we started and the stuff keeps getting more addicting and more lethal every year

If we didn't have such a Drug problem that would work but when a Crack head want's his high he will stab/shoot/beat you for a dollar that ain't no joke - No way would want to be a Cop even if I had a gun but if you said no Guns you would have no Cops

But I agree Police need to tone down the Military newest equipment thing - there is a time and place for that but not every day and not every officer

The War on Drugs was never meant to be won. It was meant to subjugate hippies and black people for smoking marijuana and let off rich white assholes for doing cocaine. It was meant to fill prisons and supply the prison-industrial complex with a shit load of money. We have by far the largest incarcerated population in the world, by an incredible amount, because cops and judges just jam any black person they can into jail. Most of the time it's for nonviolent offenses like drug possession.

Welcome to America. Freedom. :lol

Mr. Body
04-20-2021, 10:35 PM
Oh, and the War on Drugs, by getting a lot of black folks and libs in prison meant those people couldn't vote.

War on Drugs started with Nixon, may he burn in hell forever.

ChumpDumper
04-20-2021, 10:39 PM
please get me tickets

Please get me tickets (x2)Have some dignity, man.

paperboy77
04-21-2021, 07:14 AM
Have some dignity, man.

Uh this is a fan forum right? Move along dude.

exstatic
04-21-2021, 07:27 AM
Uh this is a fan forum right? Move along dude.

Fan forum =/= panhandle alley

Move along, yourself, beggar boy.

The Truth #6
04-21-2021, 07:49 AM
The War on Drugs was never meant to be won. It was meant to subjugate hippies and black people for smoking marijuana and let off rich white assholes for doing cocaine. It was meant to fill prisons and supply the prison-industrial complex with a shit load of money. We have by far the largest incarcerated population in the world, by an incredible amount, because cops and judges just jam any black person they can into jail. Most of the time it's for nonviolent offenses like drug possession.

Exactly. Nixon’s team literally laid out this game plan. Because you couldn’t be outwardly and obviously racist anymore, the War on drugs became a useful go between for the same purpose. Besides, even if the War on drugs was somehow honest, attacking it from purely a supply side and not a demand side is very disingenuous

daslicer
04-21-2021, 08:36 AM

Agreed and much like the other useless wars America has fought after WW2.

OldMan88
04-21-2021, 10:31 PM
I’m certainly a supporter of our law enforcement personnel and other first responders who are tasked with keeping us safe from those in our society that can’t follow the laws our elected representatives have passed. I disagree with Pop on most of his political rants because he’s a leftist and I’m not, but he’s right that public service unions, whether they be police, fire or any other public employee union have too much power when they are able to collectively bargain. Even FDR warned against public employees unionizing as being against the interest of the tax paying public. The police unions have made it almost impossible to get rid of bad cops. Same thing with many of the civil service rules.

Obi Juan Kenobi
04-22-2021, 01:41 AM
I’m certainly a supporter of our law enforcement personnel and other first responders who are tasked with keeping us safe from those in our society that can’t follow the laws our elected representatives have passed. I disagree with Pop on most of his political rants because he’s a leftist and I’m not, but he’s right that public service unions, whether they be police, fire or any other public employee union have too much power when they are able to collectively bargain. Even FDR warned against public employees unionizing as being against the interest of the tax paying public. The police unions have made it almost impossible to get rid of bad cops. Same thing with many of the civil service rules.

Wish the rightists would rag on police unions the same way they rag on teacher unions...

james evans
04-22-2021, 07:08 AM

2) Re-allocate some of their funding to social workers so that cops are not the first ones responding to crises involving mental health.

Done.
people still don't understand that shit and it's hilarious hahaha. Yes that's what it means. Police departments don't need tanks and military weapons. Those mfers are bad enough with the weaponry they have.

dbestpro
04-22-2021, 07:36 AM
If people do not understand taking a knee and defund the police then change the language. Stand up for social justice and Mental Health Funding are positive points that everyone can support. After all, the issue is the issues, isn’t it?

OldMan88
04-22-2021, 09:43 PM

Done.

This is NOT all that “defund the police” means to most that are proposing such a ridiculous policy, but I’ll just address the two items you’ve specifically mentioned.

1) If you’re referring to some of the surplus light armored vehicles provided to some police departments, I’m not in complete disagreement with you on this. If the need arises, the community can call on the Governor of the state to ask the national guard to provide assistance, but that would be a problem in time sensitive situations. If you’re talking about the MRAP’s, those are very high & heavy units that can be highly useful for high water rescues or for situations involving the presence of suspected explosives. But I suspect the body armor and weaponry is your concern. My response is there’s been too many situations where the police have been outgunned & out armored by the criminals they encounter, so they need that capacity to respond. The days of packing a 38 caliber police revolver are over.

2) You want a social worker... call a social worker, don’t call 911. Under your plan, how many social workers are going to get seriously injured or killed walking into a unknown domestic dispute in the middle of the night? Any volunteers? Those are the encounters that are statistically the most dangerous for police and the public because of the volatility of the situation.

You want to stop the majority of all police related shootings? Stop resisting arrest. Period. Don’t give that bad cop an excuse. Don’t ruin that good cop’s life by having shot someone on his/her conscience.

DeRozan m8
04-23-2021, 08:58 PM
No wonder this guy never got anywhere without Tim

tbdog
04-23-2021, 11:00 PM
This is NOT all that “defund the police” means to most that are proposing such a ridiculous policy, but I’ll just address the two items you’ve specifically mentioned.

1) If you’re referring to some of the surplus light armored vehicles provided to some police departments, I’m not in complete disagreement with you on this. If the need arises, the community can call on the Governor of the state to ask the national guard to provide assistance, but that would be a problem in time sensitive situations. If you’re talking about the MRAP’s, those are very high & heavy units that can be highly useful for high water rescues or for situations involving the presence of suspected explosives. But I suspect the body armor and weaponry is your concern. My response is there’s been too many situations where the police have been outgunned & out armored by the criminals they encounter, so they need that capacity to respond. The days of packing a 38 caliber police revolver are over.

2) You want a social worker... call a social worker, don’t call 911. Under your plan, how many social workers are going to get seriously injured or killed walking into a unknown domestic dispute in the middle of the night? Any volunteers? Those are the encounters that are statistically the most dangerous for police and the public because of the volatility of the situation.

You want to stop the majority of all police related shootings? Stop resisting arrest. Period. Don’t give that bad cop an excuse. Don’t ruin that good cop’s life by having shot someone on his/her conscience.

Defunding the police is one of the dumbest things out there. It's community suicide.

GAustex
04-23-2021, 11:02 PM
Well we can agree on that

Chinook
04-24-2021, 09:43 AM

That's what SWAT teams are supposed to be for. You can have special forces units with regional response ability while still having the majority of the police departments with a lower level of arms. Right now, everyone has SWAT teams, and the ubiquity has led to a lack of regulation and training. That means a lot of the teams are bad at their jobs, and the need to justify the teams' existences leads to massive overuse (which in turn leads to the loss of lives and money). Fewer units with more training and oversight would mean that when you need the firepower, it's there but when you don't, it's not. It's also be cheaper too, leaving money for social workers. Speaking of whom...

Nah. You call 911 when there's an emergency. You don't call it for police in particular. Ideally, you call in and the dispatch would then send the call to wherever it should go, be it the police, social workers, a hospital, a fire department, so on. That's way, way better than expecting folks to have the different numbers memorized.

You have a really skewed idea of what social workers are. There are plenty who deal with potentially dangerous incidents now, and not only are they way more able to handle themselves in a conflict than you suggest, but they are also WAY more skilled in avoiding escalation in the first place. The assumption that cops are somehow better equipped to handle a DV call shows that there's an information gap here. Police are often massive unqualified for the social-work tasks they pick up now. In the very very least, a social worker should already be accompanying officers to these social situations and be given broad authority to control the situation. Right now there's a misunderstanding that police are the "bosses" of other responders, thinking they can order EMTs to tranquilize people they're holding. In reality, they're all co-equal, and when the situation calls for one of their expertise over the others, they need to be running point.

No. Just no. Resisting arrest is not a capital offense. It's one thing to be attacking an officer, especially with a deadly weapon. It's another thing to be running away or rolling your shoulders or not getting into a police vehicle. I'm normally not one who dismisses cautionary advice as victim-blaming (like you can both teach boys not to rape and teach girls to avoid potentially dangerous situations). But it's critical that we not let the state get the presumption of innocence when it comes to deadly exchanges with civilians. Police officers are human, but they aren't JUST human. They act as instruments of the government, and if we start looking at government killings as "Well we have to change our behavior rather than expect them to fix their procedures", we backslide into authoritarianism really fast. This isn't a left-right thing. Just like their are authoritarian regimes on each side of the spectrum, there are people who oppose them on each side. Unjustified killings always need to go on the state. They don't always need to go on individual officers, but as a whole, it needs to be clear that the government does not have our permission to do extrajudicial executions.

Also, I'm comfortable saying that any officer that kills a person for resisting arrest without clear fear for their lives or those immediately in the area isn't a good cop. They may not be an evil human being, but they were bad at their jobs and absolutely need to be fired at the very least.

MarCowMar
04-24-2021, 11:42 AM
I'm hopeful Pop is just a simp who trusts the media a bit too much, and that he can get back to being a decent coach after the great awakening.

Dverde
04-24-2021, 11:50 AM
If Pop was an outspoken righty, he’d be cancelled by now. He has to be woke. I actually believe he means what he says.

OldMan88
04-24-2021, 12:45 PM
My point about resisting arrest is that once the officer says “You’re under arrest”, you are going to jail. Period. You can go easy, or you can go hard, but you’re going. That’s the way the law works. You will then be able to plead your case before a judge who may or may not agree the arrest was warranted. Fighting the police is just bone headed dumber than dirt stupid, and you could lose big.

If you’re being detained for questioning, say “lawyer” and wait until an attorney is present before answering any questions.

An argument could be made that the rather passive restraint (though obviously & tragically bungled) against George Floyd resulted in a worse outcome than if one of the officers had taken an old fashioned billy club and knocked him out & thrown him in the car. We don’t want to return to the days when that was the default method, but he’d probably still be alive... with a headache, but alive. You can make all the excuses you want, but resisting arrest always lights the fuse for worse outcomes and is totally within the control of the person being arrested who makes that sometimes fatal decision.

ismael-robert
04-24-2021, 03:27 PM
https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/politics/article/San-Antonio-police-union-Coach-Pop-proposition-b-16121211.php
Wasn't sure if yall saw head of police union call out pop for a sit down and told him he threw a brick. Pop declined meeting

The Truth #6
04-24-2021, 03:52 PM
That's what SWAT teams are supposed to be for. You can have special forces units with regional response ability while still having the majority of the police departments with a lower level of arms. Right now, everyone has SWAT teams, and the ubiquity has led to a lack of regulation and training. That means a lot of the teams are bad at their jobs, and the need to justify the teams' existences leads to massive overuse (which in turn leads to the loss of lives and money). Fewer units with more training and oversight would mean that when you need the firepower, it's there but when you don't, it's not. It's also be cheaper too, leaving money for social workers. Speaking of whom...

Nah. You call 911 when there's an emergency. You don't call it for police in particular. Ideally, you call in and the dispatch would then send the call to wherever it should go, be it the police, social workers, a hospital, a fire department, so on. That's way, way better than expecting folks to have the different numbers memorized.

You have a really skewed idea of what social workers are. There are plenty who deal with potentially dangerous incidents now, and not only are they way more able to handle themselves in a conflict than you suggest, but they are also WAY more skilled in avoiding escalation in the first place. The assumption that cops are somehow better equipped to handle a DV call shows that there's an information gap here. Police are often massive unqualified for the social-work tasks they pick up now. In the very very least, a social worker should already be accompanying officers to these social situations and be given broad authority to control the situation. Right now there's a misunderstanding that police are the "bosses" of other responders, thinking they can order EMTs to tranquilize people they're holding. In reality, they're all co-equal, and when the situation calls for one of their expertise over the others, they need to be running point.

No. Just no. Resisting arrest is not a capital offense. It's one thing to be attacking an officer, especially with a deadly weapon. It's another thing to be running away or rolling your shoulders or not getting into a police vehicle. I'm normally not one who dismisses cautionary advice as victim-blaming (like you can both teach boys not to rape and teach girls to avoid potentially dangerous situations). But it's critical that we not let the state get the presumption of innocence when it comes to deadly exchanges with civilians. Police officers are human, but they aren't JUST human. They act as instruments of the government, and if we start looking at government killings as "Well we have to change our behavior rather than expect them to fix their procedures", we backslide into authoritarianism really fast. This isn't a left-right thing. Just like their are authoritarian regimes on each side of the spectrum, there are people who oppose them on each side. Unjustified killings always need to go on the state. They don't always need to go on individual officers, but as a whole, it needs to be clear that the government does not have our permission to do extrajudicial executions.

Also, I'm comfortable saying that any officer that kills a person for resisting arrest without clear fear for their lives or those immediately in the area isn't a good cop. They may not be an evil human being, but they were bad at their jobs and absolutely need to be fired at the very least.

Solid points.

I will add that there’s a great documentary on HBO a few years ago about the behavioral health unit in San Antonio. They were looked down upon by all of the San Antonio Police Department, and whenever the regular cops had to do training in this area they derisively called it “hugs for thugs”. We got a long way to go.

Cops don’t want to deal with mental health or domestic issues. So if they don’t want to do it, then pay someone else to do it. You can call that defund the police, or redistribute funds, or cut taxes for the police, or whatever else. But people aren’t getting good use of their tax dollars. Which, funny enough, is almost always a conservative position.

Obi Juan Kenobi
04-24-2021, 07:45 PM
We need more social workers to become police officers...

OldMan88
04-24-2021, 11:12 PM
We need more social workers to become police officers...

Police departments are always seeking qualified new recruits. Not sure someone of the personality type to go into social work would be willing to go through the training regimen that most police go through.