PDA

View Full Version : HBO Series| Lovecraft Country

Trill Clinton
08-18-2020, 09:51 AM
Great pilot episode. Beautifully shot and reminds me of the Watchmen. I want to get into the book series now:toast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvamPJp17Ds

LaMarcus Bryant
08-18-2020, 10:44 AM
Is it super BLM? I'm worn out on that subject tbh

Trill Clinton
08-18-2020, 11:22 AM
Is it super BLM? I'm worn out on that subject tbh

Nope

SpursforSix
08-18-2020, 01:11 PM
Nope

Does it have a hip hop soundtrack?

Trill Clinton
08-18-2020, 01:32 PM
Does it have a hip hop soundtrack?

No

SpursforSix
08-18-2020, 11:23 PM
Great pilot episode. Beautifully shot and reminds me of the Watchmen. I want to get into the book series now:toast

Just finished it. Really good. Think I’ll enjoy this.
Thumbs up.

tenbeersbold
08-19-2020, 01:37 AM
Lmfao like Jordan Peele knows anything about Lovecraft...
Just the usual snide attempt to discredit an actual writer that people appreciate.
More amateurish historical revisionism through the race lens by an uneducated moron.

Lmfao as if anyone anywhere will remember this untalented Hollywood quota queen in a few years
Lovecraft otoh endures because lets face it,White people actually buy books!

Trill Clinton
08-19-2020, 07:56 AM
Just the usual snide attempt to discredit an actual writer that people appreciate.
More amateurish historical revisionism through the race lens by an uneducated moron.

Lmfao as if anyone anywhere will remember this untalented Hollywood quota queen in a few years

Jordan Peele isn't hands on on this. Misha Green has creative control over the series. Relax.

LaMarcus Bryant
08-19-2020, 11:40 AM

When I saw Peele was involved I got worried it would be another black lives this black lives that show at it's core
He's lost all credibility with me after "Us" plus the twilight zone revival was horrible.

Jordan Peele isn't hands on on this. Misha Green has creative control over the series. Relax.

Oh, nice. I'll probably jump in in a few weeks to binge.

SpursforSix
08-19-2020, 01:22 PM
Oh man...Avante would be going bonkers. His love of Lovecraft and his dislike of black non-athletes/musicians.

tenbeersbold
08-20-2020, 02:06 AM
Thing is it does suck just like TZ,get Out,Us etc.
Let me explain why...

Get Out was hyped beyond belief and when I saw it,it didn't resonate with me at all from its lame black/cool guy buddy caricatures and awful cliche dialog to the cartoonishly evil white folk.None of the characters were well written or acted.It seemed in no way authentic or groundbreaking at all to me other than this guy Jordan Peele directed it, some dude who made lame stand up comedy related crap tbh the entertainment worlds form of affirmative action for blacks.

So a quick perusal of his wikipedia confirmed exactly why his work feels lazy and non authentic to me regarding his exaggerated attempts to see everything through race/racism.
One he was raised by his rich white mother in Manhattans Upper West Side.The exact opposite of the 'hood lmfao.
He went to a selective admission public Manhattan day school,ya know the kind whites and asians use so their kids don't have to be around ghetto blacks in NYC.
But then he transfers to the private Calhoun School after 6th grade and graduates HS from there.

Current tuition at Calhoun School about 55,000 dollars a year!!!!! So at six years that's almost 350 grand..
Does a few years at Sarah Lawrence College at 60,000 a year!!!,Doesn't graduate well cause he comes from money,doesn't have to.

So dude has about half a million dollars spent on his education, that is the elite of the elite upper class privileged 1 percenter as you can get!

So forgive me if I find his hysterical,manipulative takes on race amateurish,cartoonish and frankly BORING ,he is a product of the entire privileged system he claims to rant about.
Worse he's made a career of it selling it to black people.

Oh and the capper of it for the hood rats....he married a white woman
Bonus points they named their son Beaumont Gino Peele,how fucking smarmy is that shit...lmfao

ChumpDumper
08-20-2020, 02:49 AM
Thing is it does suck just like TZ,get Out,Us etc.
Let me explain why...

Get Out was hyped beyond belief and when I saw it,it didn't resonate with me at all from its lame black/cool guy buddy caricatures and awful cliche dialog to the cartoonishly evil white folk.None of the characters were well written or acted.It seemed in no way authentic or groundbreaking at all to me other than this guy Jordan Peele directed it, some dude who made lame stand up comedy related crap tbh the entertainment worlds form of affirmative action for blacks.

So a quick perusal of his wikipedia confirmed exactly why his work feels lazy and non authentic to me regarding his exaggerated attempts to see everything through race/racism.
One he was raised by his rich white mother in Manhattans Upper West Side.The exact opposite of the 'hood lmfao.
He went to a selective admission public Manhattan day school,ya know the kind whites and asians use so their kids don't have to be around ghetto blacks in NYC.
But then he transfers to the private Calhoun School after 6th grade and graduates HS from there.

Current tuition at Calhoun School about 55,000 dollars a year!!!!! So at six years that's almost 350 grand..
Does a few years at Sarah Lawrence College at 60,000 a year!!!,Doesn't graduate well cause he comes from money,doesn't have to.

So dude has about half a million dollars spent on his education, that is the elite of the elite upper class privileged 1 percenter as you can get!

So forgive me if I find his hysterical,manipulative takes on race amateurish,cartoonish and frankly BORING ,he is a product of the entire privileged system he claims to rant about.
Worse he's made a career of it selling it to black people.

Oh and the capper of it for the hood rats....he married a white woman
Bonus points they named their son Beaumont Gino Peele,how fucking smarmy is that shit...lmfaoYou voted for a guy like this to be president.

Well there is one difference....

ChumpDumper
08-20-2020, 08:32 AM
Doesn't seem really must-see after watching ep 1 but not a waste of time either. Will probably watch in 2 episode blocks once its run is over like I did Perry Mason.

SpursforSix
08-20-2020, 09:03 AM
Doesn't seem really must-see after watching ep 1 but not a waste of time either. Will probably watch in 2 episode blocks once its run is over like I did Perry Mason.

How was Perry Mason? I was excited for it but only watched the first episode. It didn't really do anything to pull me in.

ChumpDumper
08-20-2020, 10:35 AM
How was Perry Mason? I was excited for it but only watched the first episode. It didn't really do anything to pull me in.The story wasn't quite as satisfying as I thought it could be. It went too far out of it's way to set itself up as a series; the actual plot and subplots suffered because of it IMO. I'm a sucker for noir and the production values are off the charts to create a plausible 1930s LA. I'm kinda glad Robert Downey Jr. didn't play Perry as planned-- Rhys is a little old to be playing a Mason who's just starting his legal career and he's a decade younger than Downey. Casting and acting are good enough to see what happens next season.

SpursforSix
08-20-2020, 11:49 AM
The story wasn't quite as satisfying as I thought it could be. It went too far out of it's way to set itself up as a series; the actual plot and subplots suffered because of it IMO. I'm a sucker for noir and the production values are off the charts to create a plausible 1930s LA. I'm kinda glad Robert Downey Jr. didn't play Perry as planned-- Rhys is a little old to be playing a Mason who's just starting his legal career and he's a decade younger than Downey. Casting and acting are good enough to see what happens next season.

:tu

Trill Clinton
08-20-2020, 11:49 AM
white supremacist incel babble

SpursforSix
08-20-2020, 11:52 AM
^ 75% of ST threads devolve into that. Everything has to have an agenda.

Trill Clinton
08-20-2020, 12:09 PM
^ 75% of ST threads devolve into that. Everything has to have an agenda.

Sad. Create a discord for us.

SpursforSix
08-20-2020, 12:13 PM

Easy...play an F Major Pentatonic scale over A Minor.

SpursforSix
08-20-2020, 12:15 PM

Seriously though...you could probably review a Wiggles album (or Boyz 2 Men) and it would turn into a racial exclusion thread.

SpursforSix
08-20-2020, 12:15 PM
and Wiggles > BTM

Trill Clinton
08-20-2020, 12:21 PM
I really never got into boyz 2 men. I think they're overrated tbh. I'll have to check out the wiggles.

SpursforSix
08-20-2020, 12:54 PM
I really never got into boyz 2 men. I think they're overrated tbh. I'll have to check out the wiggles.

Bend over, I'll fucking show you the Wiggles.

Nivek_ogre
08-20-2020, 04:35 PM
Fuck conservatism. Can't even talk about a fucking show without getting butthurt.

SpursforSix
08-27-2020, 03:22 PM
Just watched Episode 2. I doubt that that I'll watch a third one. First episode was good enough but the second was ridiculous. Even Omar Little couldn't save it.

Chinook
08-27-2020, 10:04 PM

So I'm not overly happy with how the series looks, but the book was a great homage to and critique of Lovecraft. It's not really revisionist history anymore than any other fiction. Basically, it takes the reality that Lovecraft was great at evoking feelings of existential helplessness but also REALLY hated basically every minority and decided to marry the two ideas rather than separating them like a lot of people want to do. One of the obvious issues with Lovecraft for readers from marginalized groups is that the loss over power and meaning aren't that scary because they never had power, and they'd already been told for years that their lives didn't have meaning. So reading Lovecraft through a black lens means you don't have to focus on obscure unintelligible forces. Some exist in the book, but they don't really matter. What matters are the people in power and how insignificant the main characters are to them, and how the MCs still try to find meaning in their lives anyway.

It's a really good exploration of racism from the 30s and earlier, and there are a lot of emotional points while also sticking to a brisk pace due to the book being structured as a series of short stories. I have a bad feeling that the series is going to crank up the supernatural, thus defeating the purpose of the book. It'd recommend the book highly unless hearing about racism triggers you (which I'm guessing it does looking at your post). It's about the black experience at the beginning of the last century. Like it or not, there was a fuck ton of overt and senseless racism then. You simply can't leave it out.

Chinook
08-27-2020, 10:05 PM
Just watched Episode 2. I doubt that that I'll watch a third one. First episode was good enough but the second was ridiculous. Even Omar Little couldn't save it.

I'll wait for the season to wrap up and then go for it. I hope it's good, but I feel like trying to make it into a regular series was a bad idea. It should've been an anthology series like Nightmares and Dreamscapes (but like good).

SpursforSix
08-28-2020, 11:02 AM
I'll wait for the season to wrap up and then go for it. I hope it's good, but I feel like trying to make it into a regular series was a bad idea. It should've been an anthology series like Nightmares and Dreamscapes (but like good).

I'm going to give it one more. But Episode 2 probably showed the formula for what they're going to do the rest of the series. Too many unbelievable moments that aren't related to the fantasy aspect. Just character actions, decisions, and dialog.

SpursforSix
09-25-2020, 02:29 PM
Didn't make it through Episode 3. It's just not very good.

Trill Clinton
09-25-2020, 02:36 PM
I'm still on it. I bought the book and finished it in a week so I can compare and so far they strayed from the book a looooot. This and The Boys are my favorite shows right now.

ChumpDumper
11-03-2020, 02:14 PM
One of the few shows where the secondary character showcases are just as strong if not stronger than the main characters'. Got a couple to go but not feeling like a waste of time at all.