PDA

View Full Version : Cassell comes back to town: Ex-Wolves point guard has no ill will

ducks
11-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Cassell comes back to town: Ex-Wolves point guard has no ill will
By DAVE CAMPBELL, AP Sports Writer
November 7, 2005

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Sam Cassell insisted he harbored no bad feelings for the Minnesota Timberwolves.

After all, he enjoyed the best season of his 13-year career with them, and he forged some quality friendships. But Cassell also made it clear that he still thinks he was unfairly blamed for some of Minnesota's problems last season.

``Just because I didn't meet and greet everyone around here,'' Cassell said, shaking his head about the suggestion that he and Latrell Sprewell soured the chemistry in the locker room.

ADVERTISEMENT
After playing in his first All-Star game and helping lead the Timberwolves to the Western Conference finals in 2004, Cassell missed most of that series against the Los Angeles Lakers with a bad back and hip and needed surgery that summer. He returned in the fall a little out of shape and carped about his contract at the beginning of training camp, an ominous sign of the troubles that followed.

A bum hamstring limited him to 59 games, and Minnesota finished a disappointing 44-38 -- missing the playoffs for the first time in nine years after the firing of coach Flip Saunders.

Then in August, Cassell was sent to the Los Angeles Clippers in a trade that brought point guard Marko Jaric to the Wolves. After facing his old teammates, and beating them 100-99, on Saturday, Cassell arrived at Target Center on Monday for the first time since the deal -- ready for the rematch.

Introduced before the game, Cassell received mostly cheers -- with a handful of boos.

``My stay in Minnesota, it was cool with me,'' he said after the morning shootaround. ``I still have a lot of friends that are members of the Timberwolves right now. ... But this is an opportunity for me just to help a young Clipper team. We're headed in the right direction. We've got guys who understand how to play.''

Los Angeles, which added Cassell and Cuttino Mobley to its backcourt during the offseason, brought a 3-0 mark and the conference's only perfect record into Monday's game.

Because of Sprewell's and Cassell's contract complaints, and decreased production, it made them obvious targets for criticism. Owner Glen Taylor even called their additions a ``failed experiment.''

``It's really easy to pick people out and blame people for whatever,'' said Minnesota center Michael Olowokandi. ``That's true for Sam.''

But Cassell didn't seem to mind being the scapegoat, even though he disagreed with the characterization. He was more concerned about boasting that the Wolves would have made the postseason had he stayed healthy.

``Ask the opposing coaches,'' he said. ``The game plan was totally different when I was out there and when I wasn't out there.''

A free-agent-to-be next summer, Cassell seemed content with his new team. He still has plenty of that Baltimore-bred confidence, too, happily pointing out that Minnesota was planning to put its best defender, Trenton Hassell, on his 35-year-old body.

It should be an interesting year for him and the Clippers.

``I'm looking forward to this,'' he said.