08-21-2020, 01:40 PM
https://i.imgur.com/uYaAiRa.jpg

Devin Vassell

College: Florida State
Position: SG/SF
Height: 6-foot-6
Weight: 195 pounds
Draft Range: 5 to 15

Why: Shooting stroke is smooth and is pro-ready due to high release. Shot 41.5% from three-point range. Scrappy, hustling defender. He tries hard defending on the ball and has great help-defense instincts.

Why Not: Slight frame makes it questionable whether he can bulk up. As it is, his lack of strength limits his otherwise high defensive potential. He jumps really well but he doesn't have much quickness, which limits him as a driver and finisher.

Spurs Fit: He'd be similar to Keldon Johnson in that he would start the year in Austin but would be ready for a cup of coffee by the end of the year. Long-term, he'd put pressure on Lonnie Walker IV for minutes.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Danny Green

Spurs Comparison - Floor: 2001 Sean Elliott

Statistics (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/devin-vassell-1.html)
Highlight video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIYx2X0Rpw8)
Interview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iWNQyzW-VM)

exstatic
08-21-2020, 01:45 PM
In before Dejounte says he sucks.

KobesAchilles
08-21-2020, 01:48 PM
Sign me up. Derrick White is literally the only guard above 6'2 on our team that can consistently hit 3's. Would be nice to have a person to actually kick too when somebody drives

Dejounte
08-21-2020, 01:49 PM
In before Dejounte says he sucks.

He sucks

But I'm glad timvp kinda captured what I've been saying all along in his bio.

Dejounte
08-21-2020, 01:53 PM
Sign me up. Derrick White is literally the only guard above 6'2 on our team that can consistently hit 3's. Would be nice to have a person to actually kick too when somebody drives

Keldon? Lonnie? Or you think the bubble games were a fluke?

Aldridge? Lyles?

Our shooting was not the issue, defense and Bball IQ was.

Vassell may be able to shoot but the dude also tries to do more than his skill really is... Think Danny Green whenever he tried to dribble and drive or shoot a long range 2. You want to lose your hair? Sure, draft this guy...

timvp
08-21-2020, 01:55 PM
I'm hoping the NBA is able to get official measurements before the draft. At 6-foot-6, Vassell would be a really good pick at No. 11. At 6-foot-4, I wouldn't nearly be as high on him. He needs to at the very least be a legit 6-foot-5, IMO.

exstatic
08-21-2020, 01:58 PM

White .366
DJ .369
Lonnie .406

ace3g
08-21-2020, 02:02 PM
I'm hoping the NBA is able to get official measurements before the draft. At 6-foot-6, Vassell would be a really good pick at No. 11. At 6-foot-4, I wouldn't nearly be as high on him. He needs to at the very least be a legit 6-foot-5, IMO.

Yeah, this continues to bother me. You see a player's "listed height" and then see said player on the court and it doesn't match the eye test.

I mentioned this in another thread:

I wish teams were required to post stock photos of players both in college/NBA so you can compare heights that way instead of by "listed height." As long as there was no trick photography and every player's photo was taken from the same spot, etc. A photo, such as below, would be a great reference point.

Ideally there would be a database/website where you could compare stock photos of draft candidates to NBA players.

https://scontent-lax3-1.cdninstagram.com/v/t51.2885-15/e35/82888916_482358636003804_1451321858237909413_n.jpg ?_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=100&_nc_ohc=JIoJAw0XivMAX8Nivsl&oh=20d00c7dc37ba5d1aa08174c0c3a0fc4&oe=5F67BF23

pad300
08-21-2020, 02:05 PM
Hey TimVP, as you're clearly making a series of this, I would recommend 2 players 1) Pokusevski - good odds he'll be there at 11, and he might (might, might, might) just be a bit special (look at steal and block percentages) 2) Killian Hayes - he'd be falling a bit, but that sometimes happens... and he's a good player.

Dejounte
08-21-2020, 02:06 PM
Yeah, this continues to bother me. You see a player's "listed height" and then see said player on the court and it doesn't match the eye test.

I mentioned this in another thread:

I wish teams were required to post stock photos of players both in college/NBA so you can compare heights that way instead of by "listed height." As long as there was no trick photography and every player's photo was taken from the same spot, etc. A photo, such as below, would be a great reference point.

https://scontent-lax3-1.cdninstagram.com/v/t51.2885-15/e35/82888916_482358636003804_1451321858237909413_n.jpg ?_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=100&_nc_ohc=JIoJAw0XivMAX8Nivsl&oh=20d00c7dc37ba5d1aa08174c0c3a0fc4&oe=5F67BF23

Trent Forrest is #3 and his listed height is 6'4"
MJ Walker is #23 and his listed height is 6'5"

So Vassell might be 6'6"? Or maybe 6'5.5"? His posture makes it hard to tell. It looks like he's trying to look tall with his shoulders up like that.

FkLA
08-21-2020, 02:07 PM
This is my guy, tbh.

BatManu20
08-21-2020, 02:11 PM
Think he’s gonna be the pick. Should be available at 11 and fits our biggest need.

BatManu20
08-21-2020, 02:14 PM
I have a feeling Vassell and Williams might go back-to-back at 10 & 11 so I think the Spurs will gladly select whichever one PHX doesn’t.

Robz4000
08-21-2020, 02:15 PM
As long as Forbes and Beli are gone I'm all for this kid. I don't see him being more than average to a bit above average defensively in the NBA, but he won't be a liability. Offensively he'll be what Pop wanted Forbes to be.

Dejounte
08-21-2020, 02:15 PM
Think he’s gonna be the pick. Should be available at 11 and fits our biggest need.

What's our biggest need? Defending guards? Say it.

timvp
08-21-2020, 02:19 PM

I think Vassell is going to be a riser. He plays a valuable position and a team out there is going to fall in love with his combination of shooting and defense. I think his actual skill level is more along the lines of a 10-15 pick but this draft is missing wings so that could push him up to the 6-8 range. That could change though if he turns out to be closer to 6-foot-5 and 180 pounds, which is possible.

KobesAchilles
08-21-2020, 02:22 PM
White .366
DJ .369
Lonnie .406
GTFOH with shooting percentages :lmao
Dejounte made 39 threes all year before the bubble (and his shooting sucked during the bubble anyways where his percentage dropped considerably)
Lonnie made 43 threes all year long. He too sucked in the bubble shooting wise.
You can skew the stats anyway you want it, but the fact of the matter is that they don't shoot enough volume for shooting percentage to matter. Derrick for instance made more than double the amount of 3's that Dejounte made. He is barely under making more 3's than DJ and Lonnie combined.

BatManu20
08-21-2020, 02:30 PM
I think Vassell is going to be a riser. He plays a valuable position and a team out there is going to fall in love with his combination of shooting and defense. I think his actual skill level is more along the lines of a 10-15 pick but this draft is missing wings so that could push him up to the 6-8 range. That could change though if he turns out to be closer to 6-foot-5 and 180 pounds, which is possible.

If so then another talented player (probably Williams) would drop to us and I’d be just fine with that.

BatManu20
08-21-2020, 02:31 PM

Sounds likely.

KobesAchilles
08-21-2020, 02:31 PM

Aldridge? Lyles?

Vassell may be able to shoot but the dude also tries to do more than his skill really is... Think Danny Green whenever he tried to dribble and drive or shoot a long range 2. You want to lose your hair? Sure, draft this guy...
Hard to gauge the bubble games. I don't know if they are a fluke or not but Lonnie shot like shit during them. He just doesn't take or make enough 3's for him to matter in that area. Keldon could become that player. I really hope that he is that player and he certainly looked the type in the bubble. Fingers crossed. I'm not going to really respond much to the Trey Lyles comment and just take it as you were joking. The dude averaged 6 points a game and is basically useless.

But it would be nice to not have a midget playing in the backcourt for once. Imagine White, Lonnie, KJ, DJ, and Vassell on the court at all times. No Forbes, No Marco, and No Patty. All guys that can move, can defend (or we hope can defend in Lonnie's case), long, athletic. Not one is a star for sure but they can be solid players who know their roles and play them out. A young Danny Green would be perfect for this team. Unlike a lot of people, I don't expect to get a star, but get me a player who can hit shots and defend and I'm happy.

Dejounte
08-21-2020, 02:38 PM
Devin standing next to MJ Walker (6'5") again:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B01etnjld1c/?igshid=f65o1797sb6e

Malik Osborne (6'9") is fourth from left.

Dejounte
08-21-2020, 02:58 PM
Terrance Mann #14 is listed as 6'5" and plays for the LA Clippers. He is standing next to Devin Vassell here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz_nu74FxYq/?igshid=ulai2vpdciv7

Dejounte
08-21-2020, 03:12 PM
Hard to gauge the bubble games. I don't know if they are a fluke or not but Lonnie shot like shit during them. He just doesn't take or make enough 3's for him to matter in that area. Keldon could become that player. I really hope that he is that player and he certainly looked the type in the bubble. Fingers crossed. I'm not going to really respond much to the Trey Lyles comment and just take it as you were joking. The dude averaged 6 points a game and is basically useless.

But it would be nice to not have a midget playing in the backcourt for once. Imagine White, Lonnie, KJ, DJ, and Vassell on the court at all times. No Forbes, No Marco, and No Patty. All guys that can move, can defend (or we hope can defend in Lonnie's case), long, athletic. Not one is a star for sure but they can be solid players who know their roles and play them out. A young Danny Green would be perfect for this team. Unlike a lot of people, I don't expect to get a star, but get me a player who can hit shots and defend and I'm happy.

Here's my question to you...

If you don't expect to get a star through the draft, how do you ever expect the Spurs to get one?

They're not ever walking through that door in free agency, nor are the Spurs going to gut their team to trade for one. They're too loyal.

If you ain't shooting for the moon with your draft pick and settling for a Danny Green type, how are we ever going to lift off?

I hope the Spurs have a higher mindset than that... And find a prospect with risks and flaws but can at least see something they can mold into their own star.

KobesAchilles
08-21-2020, 03:18 PM

If you don't expect to get a star through the draft, how do you ever expect the Spurs to get one?

They're not ever walking through that door in free agency, nor are the Spurs going to gut their team to trade for one. They're too loyal.

If you ain't shooting for the moon with your draft pick and settling for a Danny Green type, how are we ever going to lift off?

I hope the Spurs have a higher mindset than that... And find a prospect with risks and flaws but can at least see something they can mold into their own star.

I expect us to get one through the draft. But not with the 11th pick and not necessarily this draft either. I really don't expect us to be good until like 3-4 years from now. I say we get rid of all the vets, tank the best we can, grab a top 5 pick and then hope for the best.

Nothing wrong with shooting for the moon, but with what player and who?

BackHome
08-21-2020, 03:57 PM
I think Devin is going to rise and I see him being taken off the board before we pick.

intlspurshk
08-21-2020, 06:35 PM
I would rather pick Issac Okoro He has elite defence, strong body and good motor. If his shooting is improved, he can become a good player.

cd021
08-21-2020, 06:50 PM

I don't think there is a star to be had unless they trade up tbh.

If Vassell is a Danny Green type, then that's a pretty great use of an 11th pick. The track record for the 11th picks is spotty at best. The two best are Reggie and Klay, both of whom are outliers because they came from better drafts.

objective
08-21-2020, 11:03 PM
I'll probably rewatch the FSU games as I mostly focused on Williams

But I'm becoming more and more used to a Vassell pick

I liked Thybulle last year because he was a generational defender at least in zone and would improve the team and create events in limited minutes, I didn't think he would be a star or anything.

And I think he played some small forward this year also.

Vassell may not be the generational defender, but he's active with a nice wingspan, and has plenty of draftniks convinced he's the best perimeter defenders in the draft. Plus better offense and 2 years younger than Thybulle was.

One drawback is that with Keldon breaking out, the amount of available minutes for Vassell might be capped at his size. And he may not have a lot of Star potential.

But he's probably fine.

Having him with Keldon and Murray and White and Lonnie, that's the 1-3 pretty well covered if a little small at SF

Dejounte
08-21-2020, 11:18 PM
I'll probably rewatch the FSU games as I mostly focused on Williams

But I'm becoming more and more used to a Vassell pick

I liked Thybulle last year because he was a generational defender at least in zone and would improve the team and create events in limited minutes, I didn't think he would be a star or anything.

And I think he played some small forward this year also.

Vassell may not be the generational defender, but he's active with a nice wingspan, and has plenty of draftniks convinced he's the best perimeter defenders in the draft. Plus better offense and 2 years younger than Thybulle was.

One drawback is that with Keldon breaking out, the amount of available minutes for Vassell might be capped at his size. And he may not have a lot of Star potential.

But he's probably fine.

Having him with Keldon and Murray and White and Lonnie, that's the 1-3 pretty well covered if a little small at SF

https://media.tenor.com/images/28e137d84c77555be5400b6d67b569dd/tenor.gif

It's like you said, with Keldon blowing up, Vassell is redundant.

Drafting Vassell is succumbing to the fact that our current young core will not get much better to deserve more than 20 minutes each. Theres simply not much minutes to spread around, unless you want to keep playing this farce of a small ball.

Think about it... If from our current core, White gets a sizeable contract, Lonnie gets a sizeable contract (if he does well next year), and then if Keldon continues his trajectory... Max player right there. Then with Vassell? Youre basically admitting that after his rookie year, he will be making DJ level (role player money) salary at his peak. Because surely youre not going to use up all your salary on 1-3? The cap distribution among the positions just doesnt make sense. All of the cap money will go to our guards. Redundancy is the issue here.

ZeusWillJudge
08-22-2020, 09:51 AM
I'm having a hard time imagining that the Spurs would pick Vassell over Saddiq Bey.

I really like the thought of Bey on the floor with Keldon. Keep DDR at the 4 and LMA at the 5.

paperboy77
08-22-2020, 10:28 AM

Aldridge? Lyles?

Another was to say that is Pop and Bryn were the issue. To an extent even LA for thinking he’s the alpha.

ace3g
08-22-2020, 11:32 AM
https://basketball.realgm.com/images/basketball/5.0/template/basketball-icon.gifRealGM Wiretap Devin Vassell Has 'Fans' Within Knicks Organization
Aug 22, 2020 11:56 AM
https://basketball.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/wiretap/photos/2006/Rose_Leon_nyk_200304.jpg

Florida State guard Devin Vassell is reportedly drawing interest within the New York Knicks organization for the upcoming draft, sources told Ian Begley of SNY.
The Knicks have the 8th pick in the draft.

"Vassell...has some fans at Madison Square Garden," reported Begley.

The 19-year-old Vassell averaged 12.7 point and 5.1 rebounds last season at Florida State.

Ian Begley/SNY (https://www.sny.tv/articles/here-s-what-the-knicks-can-do-with-the-no-8-pick-in-the-nba-draft)

DAF86
08-22-2020, 12:04 PM

He's clearly not 6'4". Also, most sites have him at 6'7" with a 6'10" / 6'11" wingspan.

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/devin-vassell/
https://seminoles.com/sports/basketball/roster/devin-vassell/
http://www.tankathon.com/players/devin-vassell
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devin_Vassell
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Devin-Vassell-131122/

He's probably somewhere between 6'6" and 6'7". I will never understand why you guys don't use the metric system.

Chinook
08-22-2020, 12:04 PM
There are plenty of good reasons to not draft Vassell. Thinking the Spurs are set a 1-3 isn't one of them. We're talking about an 11th pick here. If for some reason all of White, Walker, Johnson and Vassell are starter-worthy players, you just trade one and keep it going. There are plenty of scenarios where Walker or Johnson could miss a season or get overpaid in RFA where it'd be nice to have another guy in the wings. And for all we know, next year, one of those guys might be the key incentive in a trade to get that franchise piece. Some problems are good to have, and some things don't need to be problems in the first place.

NickiRasgo
08-22-2020, 12:07 PM
I'm not sold on him. He's skinny so would take time before he bulks up his body. He looks a young Derozan to me with a shooting and defense.

Dejounte
08-22-2020, 04:07 PM
There are plenty of good reasons to not draft Vassell. Thinking the Spurs are set a 1-3 isn't one of them. We're talking about an 11th pick here. If for some reason all of White, Walker, Johnson and Vassell are starter-worthy players, you just trade one and keep it going. There are plenty of scenarios where Walker or Johnson could miss a season or get overpaid in RFA where it'd be nice to have another guy in the wings. And for all we know, next year, one of those guys might be the key incentive in a trade to get that franchise piece. Some problems are good to have, and some things don't need to be problems in the first place.

I agree with you to an extent about drafting a player who would dethrone weaker players and trading away those weaker players when the opportunity comes. But if only that player had high potential. Vassell doesnt move the needle, if this was say, Anthony Edwards then i say go for it. Spending your 11th pick on Vassell is a waste. I would draft Lonnie, White, and Keldon over Vassell if they were all in the same draft... So it all comes down to that. You draft a player with the mindset that they would probably be drafted over the players you have already.

RC_Drunkford
08-22-2020, 07:44 PM
This team could need a Danny Green type player, plus he’s still young and has a lot of room for improvement. I‘d much rather draft a PF though

itzsoweezee
09-25-2020, 12:43 PM
A wing player that can shoot and play D is the most important position on an nba team in 2020. This seems like a no-brainer.

Sugus
09-25-2020, 01:42 PM
A wing player that can shoot and play D is the most important position on an nba team in 2020. This seems like a no-brainer.

Good thing we drafted that exact player last season, in Keldon... But agree on Vassell being a highly sought-after archetype. He probably won't be there at #11, tbh.

Also, I'll hold off my opinion on Vassell until we get combine measurements. If he's strictly a SG with his height/length, he's much less useful than if he has size to play SF part time or even full time. His frame makes me skeptical of the latter, but it'd make him a more enticing pick for sure.

R. DeMurre
09-25-2020, 01:47 PM

Exactly. And the leader of minutes played on the Spurs is a wing player who can't shoot and is a defensive liability. There's the #1 problem.

Dejounte
09-25-2020, 01:53 PM
CEHwbEFDRCL

CFKeIUYpm4B

Low IQ on offense, a twig body that doesn't look like a frame that could fill out. No thanks

Dejounte
09-25-2020, 02:00 PM
https://youtu.be/NrfhjfxhZ_g

Watch Devin and Tyrese back to back and you'll see the difference in IQ. Devin has no awareness of spacing and likes to put himself in awful positions to shoot. (He literally drives into two defenders and pulls up)

Magic number is three for the number of prospects who become stars from the first 10 players picked from the draft. Probably three become mediocre role players and the remaining four fall off the face of the planet.

People really want to bet on Devin?

kobyz
09-25-2020, 02:26 PM
CEHwbEFDRCL

CFKeIUYpm4B

Low IQ on offense, a twig body that doesn't look like a frame that could fill out. No thanks

You just described Paul George

Dejounte
09-25-2020, 02:32 PM
You just described Paul George

Paul George had much wider shoulders

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2013/10/george1-e1383170819780.jpeg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51h3qqemteL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Also, pretty sure Paul is taller and has a longer wingspan. Let's wait for those combine numbers.

Pat Williams is a player who looks like he has Paul George's build. And he looks like he towers over Devin and has a bigger frame.

itzsoweezee
10-15-2020, 12:24 PM
With his new shooting form, maybe Vassell will drop to 11. https://twitter.com/i/status/1316450770447892480

These college players need to stay the fuck away shooting "coaches"

Dejounte
10-15-2020, 12:25 PM
With his new shooting form, maybe Vassell will drop to 11. https://twitter.com/i/status/1316450770447892480

These college players need to stay the fuck away shooting "coaches"

Hopefully he drops past 11.

Dejounte
10-15-2020, 01:04 PM
https://i.imgur.com/7tCcibt.png

Too bad we won't get accurate height measurements for this twig since he opted out of the combine.

Dejounte
10-15-2020, 01:08 PM
https://i.imgur.com/WnH5xnp.png

ace3g
10-15-2020, 02:41 PM
As mentioned in other thread...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EkYt5viWAAE7zNm?format=jpg&name=large

https://twitter.com/BraydenBallin/status/1316806792274477068

Sugus
10-15-2020, 03:16 PM
Hopefully he drops past 11.

Lmfao. As soon as I saw the video of Vassell's "new shooting form" I had to run here and see what the #1 member of the Devin Fan Club had to say about it... :lol

The Truth #6
10-15-2020, 03:37 PM
Lmfao. As soon as I saw the video of Vassell's "new shooting form" I had to run here and see what the #1 member of the Devin Fan Club had to say about it... :lol

That’s a really awkward form. He’s trying to raise his release point?

Sugus
10-15-2020, 05:39 PM
That’s a really awkward form. He’s trying to raise his release point?

There wasn't much to be "fixed" on his previous form, though, which makes it puzzling. His "smooth stroke" and high release were already two strong points for Vassell, he shot 41.5% on 3's and was tauted as a pro-ready shooter. This new form looks godawful. I could easily see him dropping off the top 10 if he'd entered the combine and filmed himself shooting like this, but he didn't IIRC, so we'll see whether his stock takes a hit.

PhantomDashCam
10-15-2020, 07:22 PM
There wasn't much to be "fixed" on his previous form, though, which makes it puzzling. His "smooth stroke" and high release were already two strong points for Vassell, he shot 41.5% on 3's and was tauted as a pro-ready shooter. This new form looks godawful. I could easily see him dropping off the top 10 if he'd entered the combine and filmed himself shooting like this, but he didn't IIRC, so we'll see whether his stock takes a hit.

https://youtu.be/9QZEN7dq_5c

It truly is perplexing. Watched this excellent “for” video from Rob Dauston the other day, and he certainly made a convincing argument (for drafting Vassell in the top 10). Think you would throw that out the window if you watched that new form...:lol

DAF86
10-16-2020, 11:08 PM
Why is he doing soccer throw-ins instead of shooting the ball? Why the fuck would you change your shooting form after hitting 41% from 3?

Drom John
11-11-2020, 10:23 AM
ESPN: Grade ‘A’ NBA mock draft: Our experts’ perfect picks
By ESPN Staff

Devin Vassell
G/F • Florida State • Age 20.2

Flush with perimeter talent, the Spurs might prefer to look toward the frontcourt. But Vassell is far and away my favorite prospect remaining at this point, and his 3-and-D skill set (like Danny Green's) is one San Antonio has long maximized. - Pelton

GAustex
11-18-2020, 09:28 PM
Welcome Mr Vassell

Degoat
11-18-2020, 09:32 PM
The more I think about it, he was a great pick! Has a lot more potential then some other guys

Robz4000
11-18-2020, 09:34 PM
As long as Forbes and Beli are gone I'm all for this kid. I don't see him being more than average to a bit above average defensively in the NBA, but he won't be a liability. Offensively he'll be what Pop wanted Forbes to be.

:tu

spurraider21
11-18-2020, 09:49 PM
damn i hadnt heard about this new shooting form

:lol the fuck is that

8FOR!3
11-18-2020, 09:51 PM
Everybody I really wanted was gone but this isn't a bad pick, especially if he's somewhat comparable to like Mikal Bridges.

JuneJive
11-18-2020, 09:55 PM
That clip was taken at the end of the practice.

He was goofing around.

bdictjames
11-18-2020, 09:56 PM
Hopefully Chip can work with him. Hopefully we have a solid three man!

DAF86
11-18-2020, 09:58 PM
Supposing we trade nobody:

Murray, White, DeRozan, Keldon, Aldridge

Mills, Walker, Vassell, Gay, Poelt

PhantomDashCam
11-18-2020, 10:03 PM
Kevin O’C likes the pick...

https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/1329246451399090181?s=20

TimDunkem
11-18-2020, 10:06 PM
:tu

You know Forbes isn't going anywhere right?

SAGirl
11-18-2020, 10:08 PM
Batmanu called it. I am happy with the puck. Hopefully we see the end of Pop’s undersized sieve shooters (except Patti bc he’s the leader)... Just that alone is something to look forward to.

BillMc
11-18-2020, 10:10 PM

Forbes is gone. And Lonnie needs to get waaay more aggressive/consistent with a new SG in town.

Chinook
11-18-2020, 10:11 PM

Murray, Mills
White, Walker, Vassell
DeRozan, Johnson,
Lyles, Gay, Samanic
Aldridge, Poeltl, Eubanks

With 41 being a front-court player who could replace Eubanks or just slide behind Keldon.

Robz4000
11-18-2020, 10:11 PM

:cry let me believe for now

TimDunkem
11-18-2020, 10:17 PM
Forbes is gone. And Lonnie needs to get waaay more aggressive/consistent with a new SG in town.

:lmao Forbes isn't going anywhere.

DAF86
11-18-2020, 10:20 PM
Murray, Mills
White, Walker, Vassell
DeRozan, Johnson,
Lyles, Gay, Samanic
Aldridge, Poeltl, Eubanks

With 41 being a front-court player who could replace Eubanks or just slide behind Keldon.

Yeah, that's more likely, I was just wishing. Imagine the meltdown if Vassell doesn't get any playing time early on. :lol

ZeusWillJudge
11-18-2020, 10:21 PM

No, Bill. You need to get waaay more aggressive with your sig pics.

Unless/until I read about some personnel changes on this roster, I need something to look forward to.

DAF86
11-18-2020, 10:22 PM
Damn, I didn't expect Bolmaro to go that early.

Chinook
11-18-2020, 10:23 PM
Yeah, that's more likely, I was just wishing. Imagine the meltdown if Vassell doesn't get any playing time early on. :lol

I think we'll see that meltdown. I fully expect the Spurs to sign a guard to fill in that final spot, and that player will get minutes over Vassell.

NickiRasgo
11-18-2020, 10:24 PM
While I'm not high on the pick, it's not bad either. Hopefully we could see sometime a combination of Dejounte, Derrick, Keldon and Devin at the same time and I think it's likely the way Pop played the rotation during the NBA Bubble - played 3 guards at the same time.

poopbox
11-18-2020, 10:31 PM
Ceiling is higher than Danny since he is already WAY more fluid offensively than Danny has ever been.

Saying Vassel celing is Danny Green is saying Vassel will struggle to dribble a basketball his entire nba career...

gambit1990
11-18-2020, 10:37 PM
he’ll be much better than danny green. great frame.

Seventyniner
11-18-2020, 11:02 PM
Kevin O’C likes the pick...

tbh with enough pundits out there, almost every first round pick will be in somebody's top 10.

dbestpro
11-18-2020, 11:04 PM
Release looks a little slow compared to Bey's.

offset formation
11-18-2020, 11:16 PM
Not a bad defensive lineup they could trot out with:

PG: White
SG: Murray
SF: Vassell
PF: Johnson
C: Aldridge

Not a bad mix offensively either especially with LMA extending the floor and Murray developing his midrange.

Sugus
11-18-2020, 11:30 PM
Yay, another guard/small wing to compete for minutes with the two most promising prospects on this team... :spin

Russ
11-18-2020, 11:55 PM
He's a solid ready to go player but also with upside -- a nice combination.

He isn't Wiseman, Okongwu or Avdija but short of that, not bad.

He'll look good a couple years from now.

Dhbsr555
11-19-2020, 05:31 AM

id go for this lineup unfortunately I see lyles starting

Rocalcio
11-19-2020, 06:51 AM
id go for this lineup unfortunately I see lyles starting

Which would make sense, Johnson isn't a 4, he's barely a 3.

Russ
11-19-2020, 07:54 PM
This is my guy, tbh.

Congrats to FkLA and BatManu20 for calling their shot. (As I recall, BatManu also doubled down on it in the Draft Thread.)

offset formation
11-20-2020, 09:25 AM
Not sure if already posted but here's Devin in the Player's Tribune. Scary thing is, kid has Neph like motivation. Good for Spurs but maybe also bad? On the positive if he ever forces his way out, maybe it won't be to go to LA.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/devin-vassell-nba-draft-basketball

Dejounte
11-20-2020, 09:26 AM
Not sure if already posted but here's Devin in the Player's Tribune. Scary thing is, kid has Neph like motivation. Good for Spurs but maybe also bad? On the positive if he ever forces his way out, maybe it won't be to go to LA.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/devin-vassell-nba-draft-basketball

Bruh, I've been reading about other prospects and everyone has "Neph like motivation". I want to see it before I believe it.

offset formation
11-20-2020, 09:32 AM
Bruh, I've been reading about other prospects and everyone has "Neph like motivation". I want to see it before I believe it.

Have you read the piece? Dude has that belief and motivation in himself like we later learned about #2.

By the way, fuck Neph. Give me Vassell and his ability to speak and motivate those around him all day long.

Dejounte
11-20-2020, 09:38 AM
Have you read the piece? Dude has that belief and motivation in himself like we later learned about #2.

By the way, fuck Neph. Give me Vassell and his ability to speak and motivate those around him all day long.

Yes, I read it. I'm with you on "fuck Neph" but when it comes to this, I'm telling you. Every prospect has belief and motivation in himself or so they say. Literally you can find an article like this on almost every prospect.

ZeusWillJudge
11-20-2020, 10:17 AM
Ceiling is higher than Danny since he is already WAY more fluid offensively than Danny has ever been.

Saying Vassel celing is Danny Green is saying Vassel will struggle to dribble a basketball his entire nba career...

He has more in common with Danny than you want to admit.

In live-dribble situations, Devin generates many of his advantages through consistent effort rather than through skill and craft. Has a relatively uninspiring offensive repertoire with the live dribble: heavily relies on sheer height of his release, and is often forced to revert to the left shoulder spin into a hand-transfer dribble which tends to effectively end the sequence
Has not shown evidence of a face-up or back-to-the-basket game in the post
Gets blocked on a high number of attempts of his slashes. This is in part by virtue of his lack of mass, and in part due to Vassell’s propensity to “sky and adjust” rather than play through contact in the lane. There are also strong indicators that Vassell is reliant on a two-footed leap to get proper vertical explosion
Unspectacular dribbler for his size/archetype. Somewhat limited shake–hang dribble and spin-move are about the most you will see, with virtually no multi-move sequences. Left is noticeably weaker than his right: in extended dribbling sequences, we can see the dribble height creep towards his chest line with the ensuing pass being prone to losing accuracy. Generates a decent percentage of his turnovers due to handling errors alone
May be limited in tight C&S scenarios/floppy-type actions. Isn’t the most agile at rounding corners (see below). Likes to insert an extra dribble coming off the screen to allow himself to get both feet set under him, which shortens his window and allows for less flexibility
Has not demonstrated the ability to get the line reliably

offset formation
11-20-2020, 10:22 AM
Wondering how many minutes he gets given his frame is probably just not sufficient to bang yet, with NBA players nightly. And if he's still growing as GM Brian Wright Hopes, he's not going to add much muscle anytime soon.

BackHome
11-20-2020, 10:38 AM
I think he will get the Keldon treatment I don’t see him getting very much minutes in the first half of season and well a lot depends on G League is going to happen. You know I think he is a little bit like Green but I think he will be a better version ex specially on the offense side as someone stated as long as he can dribble he will be better and I agree with that.

K...
11-20-2020, 10:43 AM
Does anyone think that if Danny green were drafted my San Antonio, in the first round, he'd be a more rounded player? He lost a few years with LeBron and the g league, and got mixed with veteran hall of fame ball handlers in the current team would be better or worse than in his prime. Mainly on offense. You can't really replicate wingstop

SpursDynasty85
11-20-2020, 11:41 AM
he’ll be much better than danny green. great frame.

It looks like he will be a little better than Danny Green but it’s not because of frame because Danny had the perfect frame for a wing defender. Vassell is a twig for a SF for now.

poopbox
11-20-2020, 12:32 PM
It looks like he will be a little better than Danny Green but it’s not because of frame because Danny had the perfect frame for a wing defender. Vassell is a twig for a SF for now.

Well he is 20 years old and Danny isn't. So lets let him get 2 years of work in the weight room of a professional nba team before we start worrying about how big he will or won't be.

Dejounte
11-20-2020, 12:39 PM
Well he is 20 years old and Danny isn't. So lets let him get 2 years of work in the weight room of a professional nba team before we start worrying about how big he will or won't be.

Dejounte and White barely have added to their frame after two years and Devin has a similar frame. I don't see him becoming much bigger than he is now.

daslicer
11-20-2020, 12:44 PM
This guy can never be like Kawhi on defense because he doesn't have his physical tools. I'm hoping this guy can be a cross somewhere between Danny Green,Tony Allen,Bruce Bowen.

NickiRasgo
11-20-2020, 07:29 PM
My favorite point guard...

https://scontent.fcrk1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p526x296/126446488_4017498844947424_5416364280709198270_o.j pg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_eui2=AeHpdO5kU7s6y_CA00QCBitaZc3taegyTCllze1p6 DJMKTclvUHDTy97AH0INcWLCEI&_nc_ohc=9UpJPaywHy0AX-Xm8Kx&_nc_ht=scontent.fcrk1-2.fna&tp=6&oh=b4572fc2bf258614b4db68f9c45dbf53&oe=5FDDF1DB

poopbox
10-27-2023, 07:49 PM
Another spurstalk classic :lol