timvp
08-21-2020, 06:53 PM
https://i.imgur.com/vhdTptv.jpg

Deni Avdija

Position: PF/SF
Height: 6-foot-9
Weight: 215 pounds
Draft Range: 4 to 14

Why: Very skilled for someone his size. Can dribble and pass it. May even be able to direct an offense down the line. Physical at the rim. Plays hard and could develop into a leader. Smart in terms of making the right pass and helping on defense.

Why Not: Not much of a shooter. Historically, he's been about 30% from three and 55% at the line. His athleticism is questionable. While he has good straight-line speed, he's not an explosive leaper and isn't overly quick. Has relatively short arms.

Spurs Fit: He'd compete early on for minutes. He's further along than Samanic was, for example, but probably isn't a Day 1 rotation player.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Skinny Hedo Turkoglu

Spurs Comparison - Floor: Fat Hedo Turkoglu

Statistics (https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Deni-Avdija/Summary/116938)
Highlight Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmKrg1zWVys)
Interview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM2muYg5OBE)

lmbebo
08-21-2020, 07:00 PM
Pass

Joseph Kony
08-21-2020, 07:11 PM
this dude is getting a lot of hype from what i've seen on other boards. i have a feeling that this is the guy Spurs are eyeballing but he will probably be taken before the 11th spot

Robz4000
08-21-2020, 07:17 PM
Rumor has it his stats have been inflated massively in order to try to manufacture an Israeli NBA star. Also heard he has character issues. Pass.

intlspurshk
08-21-2020, 07:22 PM
Pass to be honest

Russ
08-21-2020, 07:40 PM
Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Skinny Hedo Turkoglu

Spurs Comparison - Floor: Fat Hedo Turkoglu

That's harsh. :lol

I see more Manu than Hedo. Avdija has big upside -- most of the guys at 11 just don't.

In fact, most of these guys that are likely (at least maybe) available at 11 being profiled (Williams, Vassell, Nesmith, Bey, surely he'll be soon) would be nice additions for a team who just needs X. That 3&D sparkplug, that defensive dog, that great role-player, that great teammate.

I don't think the Spurs are at that point yet. They're still looking for the guy who could be a cornerstone. They need to aim higher.

Deni has a low floor (could be a bust) but a high ceiling -- I like his chances. He might be worth an upward trade (but, alas, that's probably not possible).

timvp
08-21-2020, 08:23 PM
That's harsh. :lol

I see more Manu than Hedo. Avdija has big upside -- most of the guys at 11 just don't.

Didn't mean for it to be overly harsh, tbh. Hedo at his best was pretty darn good. I could see Avdija turning into a high-end starter.

I don't see a super upside, though. First of all, he has to be a threat as a shooter to be a good player. Considering he's a 55% free throw shooter, could he actually develop into a good shooter? Maybe but it's far from certain. But then on top of that, even if his shot comes around, he doesn't have that Manu-esque athleticism to take him to the next level. He has more of that Hedo craftiness and mobile-for-his-size attribute that could allow him to be a very valuable piece to a puzzle as long as his skills keep progressing.

Overall, though, I am admittedly lower on Avdija than most. His Euroleague stats were pedestrian. His Israeli league stats were decent to good but that's a bad league and he's on the team with by far the most talent. His team was force-feeding him at times and a decent chunk of his stats came when his team was blowing out the competition.

I see him ranked closer to 12-15 range rather than most who have him 4-8. I would support the Spurs picking him at 11 if they think he's the best player on the board but I don't see enough to trade up to get him, tbh.

ace3g
08-21-2020, 08:26 PM
Too bad we got the 2003-2004 version of Hedon't and not 2004-2009 Hedo.

timvp
08-21-2020, 08:32 PM
Too bad we got the 2003-2004 version of Hedon't and not 2004-2009 Hedo.

:lol Hedo was pretty terrible that season at the start because, as he admitted, he came into the year carrying about 25 extra pounds of breakfast tacos. As the year went along, though, he really improved ... until, of course, he fell on his face in the playoffs.

Chinook
08-21-2020, 08:45 PM
Now if we could ever get to Toppin...

objective
08-21-2020, 10:47 PM
Hedo pioneered the "Not try very hard off the bench and whine about how hard it is to get a rhythm off the bench" strategy to sucker Pop into moving Manu to the bench and getting away with it because Manu was such a team player.

It was a long tradition of guys marveling to the media about how much better they performed as starters.

---

That being said, I think Advija would be a great 6th man ala Manu :lol

Dejounte
08-28-2020, 09:19 AM
CEb4GNEjtuk

Fusternino
08-28-2020, 12:25 PM
Wingspan?

exstatic
08-28-2020, 12:34 PM
Wingspan?

Supposedly, the draft combine will be regional. That’s usually where you get measurements.

DAF86
08-31-2020, 08:19 PM
Wingspan?

Pretty underwhelming for a guy his size. 6'9" same as Keldon, less than Dejounte.

kobyz
09-02-2020, 06:56 AM
His wingspan being small is fake news, he has wingspan in the 7'1"-7'2" range, and he's a stud, Jimmy Butler/Gordon Hayward type!

DAF86
09-02-2020, 08:11 AM
His wingspan being small is fake news, he has wingspan in the 7'1"-7'2" range, and he's a stud, Jimmy Butler/Gordon Hayward type!

Why would someone lie about a wingspan to make it shorter? The lying part usually involves overselling something, tbh.

exstatic
09-02-2020, 08:27 AM
Yeah, there were rumors last year that Brandon Clarke had a 7 foot wingspan, too. Turns out it was the same as his listed height. Don’t believe any measurements until they are official, from the draft combine.

Russ
09-02-2020, 08:36 AM
This guy reminds me of Pete Maravich at times. Same jaunty long strides, same grace, same fluid quickness, same crazy passes. Both are pretty good shooters, but way more fun to watch with the ball.

Play Boban
09-02-2020, 08:44 AM
Rumor has it his stats have been inflated massively in order to try to manufacture an Israeli NBA star. Also heard he has character issues. Pass.
Antisemitic rumors tbh

lefty
09-02-2020, 11:02 AM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/l0HlQbWAiABdVKHaE/source.gif

ZeusWillJudge
09-02-2020, 12:48 PM
Both of his parents were basketball players - his dad played professionally around Israel. Not high-level ball, but Deni still has good genes, and probably had a ball in his hand from the time he could walk. He is being pimped pretty hard, but that's not a conspiracy theory. It's happening more and more every draft.

They're billing him as a combo forward, but there's no way he survives as a PF any time soon. He's closing in on 20, and he's not exactly advanced for his age. And his offensive game is terrible. If he was coming out of an American college, I don't think he'd be getting this kind of attention.

I'd spend 11 on him, though reluctantly because they already have one Samanic. But he'd probably be BPA at 11, and they aren't identical. But I sure as hell wouldn't give away talent to trade up for him.

kobyz
09-02-2020, 02:21 PM
Why would someone lie about a wingspan to make it shorter? The lying part usually involves overselling something, tbh.

I didn't say someone lied, I'm saying there's a misconception about his wingspan, there is no official measurement that someone base his statement on him having small wingspan... But on the other end there's a statement of Deni's teammate Omri Casspi compliment Deni wingspan in jealousy!

kobyz
09-02-2020, 02:25 PM
Both of his parents were basketball players - his dad played professionally around Israel. Not high-level ball, but Deni still has good genes, and probably had a ball in his hand from the time he could walk. He is being pimped pretty hard, but that's not a conspiracy theory. It's happening more and more every draft.

They're billing him as a combo forward, but there's no way he survives as a PF any time soon. He's closing in on 20, and he's not exactly advanced for his age. And his offensive game is terrible. If he was coming out of an American college, I don't think he'd be getting this kind of attention.

I'd spend 11 on him, though reluctantly because they already have one Samanic. But he'd probably be BPA at 11, and they aren't identical. But I sure as hell wouldn't give away talent to trade up for him.

actually started playing basketball at a later age than his peers, around 10yo

ace3g
09-30-2020, 03:13 PM
https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/1311397947318448128

BackHome
09-30-2020, 03:29 PM
The Knicks a good organization - Oh Please Stop. :lol

Ocotillo
09-30-2020, 04:02 PM
The Knicks a good organization - Oh Please Stop. :lol Does that demonstrate a low BBIQ?

Floyd Pacquiao
10-01-2020, 03:31 PM
Does anyone believe that pop would want him at 11 since he’s pro Isreal? We all know pops radical views

TD 21
10-01-2020, 03:45 PM
:lmao "Radical views", because he's a proponent of human rights/equality. What a messed up, disgraceful country.

All you dumb hicks out there have been so brainwashed and kept in the dark with this fear mongering nonsense that common sense is beyond your comprehension.

The Truth #6
10-01-2020, 03:55 PM
Does anyone believe that pop would want him at 11 since he’s pro Isreal? We all know pops radical views

What is pop’s radical view on Israel?

ZeusWillJudge
10-01-2020, 05:09 PM
actually started playing basketball at a later age than his peers, around 10yo

LOL. No he didn't. If I'd seen this, I would have corrected your dumb ass before this. I don't give a rat fuck what your Google article told you, he was playing basketball before he was 10.

I don't know for sure when he started playing organized ball, but he had a ball in his hands since he was a toddler. His dad was a pro, and started coaching youth basketball when Deni was little. They lived about a block away from the house I stayed in while I was consulting there, and his dad was a local celebrity. The International School was right there in Herzliya, and the Israeli kids used to run circles around all the diplomat kids. The school moved down the road to HaSharon somewhere around '07 or '08, and I'm pretty sure Zufer's kid was playing by then.

buttsR4rebounding
10-01-2020, 07:10 PM
LOL. No he didn't. If I'd seen this, I would have corrected your dumb ass before this. I don't give a rat fuck what your Google article told you, he was playing basketball before he was 10.

I don't know for sure when he started playing organized ball, but he had a ball in his hands since he was a toddler. His dad was a pro, and started coaching youth basketball when Deni was little. They lived about a block away from the house I stayed in while I was consulting there, and his dad was a local celebrity. The International School was right there in Herzliya, and the Israeli kids used to run circles around all the diplomat kids. The school moved down the road to HaSharon somewhere around '07 or '08, and I'm pretty sure Zufer's kid was playing by then.

Now that’s coming with the goods.

bdictjames
10-01-2020, 08:06 PM
That comparison is money :lol

kobyz
10-02-2020, 09:28 AM

"Avdija was born on kibbutz Beit Zera, Israel.[1] He played association football until he entered fourth grade, when he began focusing on basketball"
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deni_Avdija

ZeusWillJudge
10-02-2020, 06:44 PM
"Avdija was born on kibbutz Beit Zera, Israel.[1] He played association football until he entered fourth grade, when he began focusing on basketball"
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deni_Avdija

Oh, well, if WikiPedia says it, it must be true. :lol

Here... this took me all of 30 seconds to find on the same Internet you use: "He started playing basketball when he was 8 years old. Avdija played for the Bnei Herzliya youth team and later joined the Maccabi Tel Aviv youth team in 2013. Avdija led Maccabi to three consecutive youth state championships from 2017 to 2019."

And I'm telling you that some little kid was shooting on a short hoop outside the house in about 2006. It was a one-way street and I had to drive by the house every day when I was there because I couldn't get to the highway any other way. I never stopped to ask his name, but it seems pretty obvious.

The point is that these young guys whose dads were ballers have a big head start, and a good chance that they were schooled in fundamentals from childhood. (Not to mention athlete genes.) It's not a guarantee, but I've started to believe that it's a factor worth weighing. He'll be gone before the Spurs pick, though.

R. DeMurre
10-02-2020, 07:33 PM
The point is that these young guys whose dads were ballers have a big head start, and a good chance that they were schooled in fundamentals from childhood. (Not to mention athlete genes.) It's not a guarantee, but I've started to believe that it's a factor worth weighing. He'll be gone before the Spurs pick, though.

There was this kid in our elementary school whose dad was a teacher & basketball coach at a nearby high school, and he told us that he had to regularly practice dribbling for half an hour with his good hand tied to a belt loop behind his back because his dad said he relied too much on it. We thought that was hilarious at the time. In retrospect, that's great teaching.
Plus there's that whole 10,000 hours of practice theory that I think is mostly true.

kobyz
10-03-2020, 01:36 AM
Oh, well, if WikiPedia says it, it must be true. :lol

Here... this took me all of 30 seconds to find on the same Internet you use: "He started playing basketball when he was 8 years old. Avdija played for the Bnei Herzliya youth team and later joined the Maccabi Tel Aviv youth team in 2013. Avdija led Maccabi to three consecutive youth state championships from 2017 to 2019."

And I'm telling you that some little kid was shooting on a short hoop outside the house in about 2006. It was a one-way street and I had to drive by the house every day when I was there because I couldn't get to the highway any other way. I never stopped to ask his name, but it seems pretty obvious.

8 years old is still later than most... and he wasn't lived or raised with his dad growing up, it's not a story of a dad pushing his kid to basketball from the moment he was born or having privilege, it's a kid who figure out slowly what he want to do in life on his own while his formar bb player dad enter the picture after only for support

ace3g
10-26-2020, 08:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b65052S_tm4&feature=youtu.be

ZeusWillJudge
10-26-2020, 09:27 PM
Avdija is going to participate in the combine. These guys aren't:

Onyeka Okongwu, Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, Patrick Williams, Cole Anthony, Obi Toppin, Tyrese Maxey, Aaron Nesmith, Saddiq Bey

Dejounte
10-26-2020, 09:29 PM
Avdija is going to participate in the combine. These guys aren't:

Onyeka Okongwu, Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, Patrick Williams, Cole Anthony, Obi Toppin, Tyrese Maxey, Aaron Nesmith, Saddiq Bey

Don't forget Poku

ZeusWillJudge
10-26-2020, 09:51 PM
:lmao "Radical views", because he's a proponent of human rights/equality. What a messed up, disgraceful country.

All you dumb hicks out there have been so brainwashed and kept in the dark with this fear mongering nonsense that common sense is beyond your comprehension.

LOL. I didn't see this before, either, or I would have straightened your dumb ass out too. Another person who doesn't know dog dick about the thing he's ranting about.

There are mosques all over that country. Drive through the countryside after sundown and there are green lights all over the place. There were places where you could look around and see three or even four of them, from one single spot. There is a mosque in downtown Tel Aviv that had fallen into disrepair, so the Israelis took up a collection and paid to fix it up. During some of the big wars, the people in Haifa (for instance) took their Palestinian neighbors into their houses to protect them. There are Palestinian villages all fucking over the country - and they leave rebar sticking out from the tops of their houses, so they can say they are unfinished and not pay taxes. The people aren't fighting all the time. Deni Avdija's father is a Muslim, and he's a celebrity. Nobody gives a shit, except for the idiots that occasionally blow up buses and malls. People with anger issues, like you.

Maybe if you read some history instead of Reddit, you wouldn't be so stunted and angry. All through history there were actual tribes made up of both Jews and Arabs. Lots of them. People like you talking about fear mongering would be funny if you weren't so pathetic.

"Fat, lazy, and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." - Zeus

ZeusWillJudge
10-26-2020, 09:56 PM
Don't forget Poku

Damn, you're right.

Do you know if they are inviting any of the G-League "Elite" players like they did last year? This whole offseason is just so strange.

The Truth #6
10-26-2020, 10:06 PM
Is this a new trend for so many players to skip the combine?

Dejounte
10-26-2020, 10:10 PM
Is this a new trend for so many players to skip the combine?

I think this is the first year it has ever been like this. Usually, only a couple from the top five would skip it. Never this many.

Dejounte
10-26-2020, 10:11 PM
Damn, you're right.

Do you know if they are inviting any of the G-League "Elite" players like they did last year? This whole offseason is just so strange.

Honestly, no clue about all this "Elite" hoopla going on.

The Truth #6
10-26-2020, 10:18 PM
I think this is the first year it has ever been like this. Usually, only a couple from the top five would skip it. Never this many.

I hope this uncertainty benefits the Spurs with the 11th pick. If they're done their homework early.

ZeusWillJudge
10-26-2020, 10:30 PM
Honestly, no clue about all this "Elite" hoopla going on.

Meh. I don't even know if they held the Elite Camp this year. Probably not, now that I think about it. "You guys are scrubs - we don't have to keep you in a bubble." That doesn't sound right. :lol

This whole thing is just so strange. So many players opting out of the combine.

Dejounte
10-26-2020, 10:34 PM
Part of me thinks it's the players' agencies going on a little power trip...

TD 21
10-27-2020, 03:29 PM
LOL. I didn't see this before, either, or I would have straightened your dumb ass out too. Another person who doesn't know dog dick about the thing he's ranting about.

There are mosques all over that country. Drive through the countryside after sundown and there are green lights all over the place. There were places where you could look around and see three or even four of them, from one single spot. There is a mosque in downtown Tel Aviv that had fallen into disrepair, so the Israelis took up a collection and paid to fix it up. During some of the big wars, the people in Haifa (for instance) took their Palestinian neighbors into their houses to protect them. There are Palestinian villages all fucking over the country - and they leave rebar sticking out from the tops of their houses, so they can say they are unfinished and not pay taxes. The people aren't fighting all the time. Deni Avdija's father is a Muslim, and he's a celebrity. Nobody gives a shit, except for the idiots that occasionally blow up buses and malls. People with anger issues, like you.

Maybe if you read some history instead of Reddit, you wouldn't be so stunted and angry. All through history there were actual tribes made up of both Jews and Arabs. Lots of them. People like you talking about fear mongering would be funny if you weren't so pathetic.

"Fat, lazy, and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." - Zeus

You took this out of context genius and :lmao at the old, closet racist, who constantly rants and raves, claiming someone else has "anger issues". How dare I have the audacity to disagree and debate basketball on a basketball message board.

ZeusWillJudge
10-27-2020, 06:45 PM
You took this out of context genius and :lmao at the old, closet racist, who constantly rants and raves, claiming someone else has "anger issues". How dare I have the audacity to disagree and debate basketball on a basketball message board.

There wasn't an ounce of basketball in what you said. Calling a country disgraceful, and people hicks, when it's you that hasn't been outside your own county. Of course I'm going to spank you and send you to your room.

"Closet racist" :lol The Battle Hymn of the Repugnant.

TD 21
10-27-2020, 06:52 PM
There wasn't an ounce of basketball in what you said. Calling a country disgraceful, and people hicks, when it's you that hasn't been outside your own county. Of course I'm going to spank you and send you to your room.

"Closet racist" :lol The Battle Hymn of the Repugnant.

It wasn't meant to be about basketball and as if your miserable, closet racist ass would know where I've been.

Dejounte
11-02-2020, 12:05 PM
Spurs worked him out

https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1323309326061195266?s=19

Dejounte
11-02-2020, 12:08 PM
Deni has been my tier 1 prospect for awhile now alongside Halliburton

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/1323306675550396417?s=19

rjv
11-02-2020, 12:20 PM
Spurs worked him out

https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1323309326061195266?s=19

not sure why this would have been a serious look over unless the spurs are looking to move up somehow.

DPG21920
11-02-2020, 12:27 PM
Bust

Dejounte
11-02-2020, 12:28 PM
not sure why this would have been a serious look over unless the spurs are looking to move up somehow.

The outrage of people here if the Spurs move up to get Deni when Wiseman is available lol

DPG21920
11-02-2020, 12:30 PM

Very common. Especially if you’re in the lottery. Teams request workouts with tons of guys they may never get; usually it’s the player/agent that decline though if they don’t like a team or think there’s a chance.

But every team prob requests workouts from the top 10 guys

buttsR4rebounding
11-02-2020, 12:35 PM
Very common. Especially if you’re in the lottery. Teams request workouts with tons of guys they may never get; usually it’s the player/agent that decline though if they don’t like a team or think there’s a chance.

But every team prob requests workouts from the top 10 guys

Except this year they are limited to 10 in-person workouts. It seems like a real waste if it is merely subterfuge on the Spurs part.

Sugus
11-02-2020, 12:40 PM
Do we know whether the Spurs have worked out Wiseman? This could very well be a smoke-and-mirrors move on the Spurs' part. But I'd also be happy with Deni... Position-wise, I'd rather we have Wiseman since he compliments the current core much better, but of course, we don't have any player on the team right now that should actively deter the Spurs from drafting BPA in any position. I'd take Avdija - especially with the rumors that both Charlotte and GSW are interested in Wiseman. The third pick might be easier to get than #2.

Joseph Kony
11-02-2020, 12:40 PM
Except this year they are limited to 10 in-person workouts. It seems like a real waste if it is merely subterfuge on the Spurs part.

Yep. shows at the very least the Spurs are contemplating trading up to a top 5ish spot

Dejounte
11-02-2020, 12:49 PM
If Deni is our pick AND he becomes an all star, I could see him being very marketable. He's got the looks, the charm, and the game. It would bring SA back to the spotlight again. His jersey would sell like hot cakes.

DPG21920
11-02-2020, 12:50 PM

Not when you are pick 11

DPG21920
11-02-2020, 12:53 PM
Spurs have drafted guys they haven’t worked out before.

If LaMelo and Edward’s declined to workout for you and you’re pick 11 that means your 10 workouts would be the next 10 best guys after LaMelo and Edward’s for example

Dejounte
11-02-2020, 12:55 PM
Spurs have drafted guys they haven’t worked out before.

If LaMelo and Edward’s declined to workout for you and you’re pick 11 that means your 10 workouts would be the next 10 best guys after LaMelo and Edward’s for example

They also drafted guys they've worked out.

JuneJive
11-02-2020, 12:57 PM
Who knows. He is the guy you'd want to move up for.

But I really doubt the Spurs have the ammo to get there.

Sugus
11-02-2020, 01:09 PM
Who knows. He is the guy you'd want to move up for.

But I really doubt the Spurs have the ammo to get there.

I really think it might not cost all that much (relatively) to get to the top of this draft. Especially if Charlotte ends up trading for #2 and GSW doesn't have many suitors for #3 with one of the "surefire" top prospects already gone...

DPG21920
11-02-2020, 01:41 PM
They also drafted guys they've worked out.

Duh :lol?

What’s the point of saying that? Look, working out Deni is both common and can mean they are interested and trying to move up. Both can be true.

However, regardless if they are trying to move up they would 100% still be requesting a workout and doing their due diligence (maybe he falls etc). But especially in the lottery you try to workout the best 15 guys.

Dejounte
11-02-2020, 01:46 PM
Duh :lol?

What’s the point of saying that? Look, working out Deni is both common and can mean they are interested and trying to move up. Both can be true.

However, regardless if they are trying to move up they would 100% still be requesting a workout and doing their due diligence (maybe he falls etc). But especially in the lottery you try to workout the best 15 guys.

The same question can be asked about you saying "the Spurs draft players they don't workout". What's the point?

Like the other guy pointed out, the Spurs only have ten in person visits. Combine that with RC Buford reportedly scouting Deni at one of his games, which was overseas, earlier this year ... Well, sometimes it's not nothing.

Just because you don't like the guy, doesn't mean there couldn't be real interest there for the Spurs.

PhantomDashCam
11-02-2020, 01:48 PM
Edit: Sorry missed this.

Degoat
11-02-2020, 01:56 PM
Pretty interesting imo, top 5 projected picks don’t workout for teams drafting at 11, but it probably is smoke screen

Prime BEEF
11-02-2020, 02:01 PM
Bust
Yup. Think he’ll be a bust too

mo7888
11-02-2020, 02:30 PM
It really doesn't make sense to use one of your 10 official workouts with a player you don't think will be available in your range unless your considering moving to a different range.

DPG21920
11-02-2020, 06:12 PM
The same question can be asked about you saying "the Spurs draft players they don't workout". What's the point?

Like the other guy pointed out, the Spurs only have ten in person visits. Combine that with RC Buford reportedly scouting Deni at one of his games, which was overseas, earlier this year ... Well, sometimes it's not nothing.

Just because you don't like the guy, doesn't mean there couldn't be real interest there for the Spurs.

What? There’s a massive difference in teams who draft guys they never work out (rare) and teams that work out the top players when they own a lottery pick.

The “duh” was referring to the obvious statement that of course they have also drafted players they worked out. Like what does that add to the conversation?

Whether I like him or not has absolutely nothing to do with the context of this conversation. Even if Sa HATED Deni they would still work him out.

When you pick 11 and you get 10 workouts you workout the 10 best players. No matter what Deni is on that list especially knowing that 99.99% LaMelo and/or Edward’s would not grant you a workout.

So no matter what Sa would be requesting this Deni workout. They may love him and trade up and get him. That doesn’t change the point I’m making.

DPG21920
11-02-2020, 06:14 PM
It really doesn't make sense to use one of your 10 official workouts with a player you don't think will be available in your range unless your considering moving to a different range.

Why would Deni not be in your range? Guys fall all the time.

If you know Edward’s and LaMelo 100% won’t be there pick 11, you use your 10 spots on the next 10 best guys because you are GUARANTEED to get one of them. Deni is in that next 10.

SpursGuy91
11-02-2020, 06:33 PM
What? There’s a massive difference in teams who draft guys they never work out (rare) and teams that work out the top players when they own a lottery pick.

The “duh” was referring to the obvious statement that of course they have also drafted players they worked out. Like what does that add to the conversation?

Whether I like him or not has absolutely nothing to do with the context of this conversation. Even if Sa HATED Deni they would still work him out.

When you pick 11 and you get 10 workouts you workout the 10 best players. No matter what Deni is on that list especially knowing that 99.99% LaMelo and/or Edward’s would not grant you a workout.

So no matter what Sa would be requesting this Deni workout. They may love him and trade up and get him. That doesn’t change the point I’m making.
If SA absolutely HATED Deni they probably wouldn't have him in their top ten. NBA teams don't exactly build their big boards around mock drafts from questionable sources, they build them on great scouting. Chances are if they have them in their top ten they actually like him.

DPG21920
11-02-2020, 06:45 PM
If SA absolutely HATED Deni they probably wouldn't have him in their top ten. NBA teams don't exactly build their big boards around mock drafts from questionable sources, they build them on great scouting. Chances are if they have them in their top ten they actually like him.

Meh. Consensus definitely matters. If anything it does regards to value/trades etc.

But sure it was about making the point stick; Spurs pick 11 and regardless of how much they like him they would want to know for sure and would be working him out.

Does SA go with their board no matter what? Yeah sure. But the fact that Deni is consensus top 10 is because enough people have done their due diligence around the league and it shaped how they build their own boards. You can not like someone and still want to work them out to make 100% sure you didn’t miss something

PhantomDashCam
11-02-2020, 06:53 PM
https://twitter.com/r0ckssss_/status/1323319452088344578?s=20

Sugus
11-02-2020, 08:48 PM

If you know Edward’s and LaMelo 100% won’t be there pick 11, you use your 10 spots on the next 10 best guys because you are GUARANTEED to get one of them. Deni is in that next 10.

I disagree with this line of reasoning, tbh.

The Spurs shouldn't necessarily use their 10 limited workouts on the top-10 (or top 9 according to your example), and maybe not even 5 of them; they can assume a small pool of top players (let's say Wiseman, LaMelo, Deni, Edwards) most certainly won't be available at 11, and if they were, they'd be BPA by such a wide margin that they wouldn't need to have worked them out to draft them on the spot. Then, they can use their 10 workouts on prospects 5 through 15 of their big board, and get a much more thorough evaluation of prospects that are likely to fall near their range. There can always be last minute trades, so having worked out the highest possible amount of players who could end up drafted around you would be the best strategy.

Of course, that all hinges on the Spurs assuming they won't be moving up by any means... Which is exactly what's interesting about them working out Avdija, who by all accounts is far from the Spurs' range. I personally think it's smoke and mirrors, and the Spurs can also perfectly follow my strategy for 9 or 8 of their workouts, then do a couple of "random" top players they'd like to see. But I don't understand why you're denying the possibility so vehemently...

DPG21920
11-02-2020, 08:58 PM
I disagree with this line of reasoning, tbh.

The Spurs shouldn't necessarily use their 10 limited workouts on the top-10 (or top 9 according to your example), and maybe not even 5 of them; they can assume a small pool of top players (let's say Wiseman, LaMelo, Deni, Edwards) most certainly won't be available at 11, and if they were, they'd be BPA by such a wide margin that they wouldn't need to have worked them out to draft them on the spot. Then, they can use their 10 workouts on prospects 5 through 15 of their big board, and get a much more thorough evaluation of prospects that are likely to fall near their range. There can always be last minute trades, so having worked out the highest possible amount of players who could end up drafted around you would be the best strategy.

Of course, that all hinges on the Spurs assuming they won't be moving up by any means... Which is exactly what's interesting about them working out Avdija, who by all accounts is far from the Spurs' range. I personally think it's smoke and mirrors, and the Spurs can also perfectly follow my strategy for 9 or 8 of their workouts, then do a couple of "random" top players they'd like to see. But I don't understand why you're denying the possibility so vehemently...

I’m not. I’m simply saying it’s not informative that they did this. Doesn’t mean there’s no interest but IMO it’s not “telling”

rankingtear
11-02-2020, 09:00 PM
I assume this is for Chip to see his shooting form if it is fixable. He is known to be a Manu type competitor those players usually pan out. With GS and MIN shopping their picks the option is there to move up and spurs are evaluating if it is worth it considering they have to give up Murray or White.

GS is playing CHA right know to trade up for Wiseman. They can probably dump Wiggins contract on CHA then flip the 3rd pick for another asset and a lottery pick.

mo7888
11-02-2020, 09:22 PM

Deni is a top 3 pick... he's not falling to 11... if we want him we are moving way up.

Dverde
11-02-2020, 09:53 PM
Luka success in Dallas makes me believe this guy will be gone by 11. Seems like that DDR pick swap with ATL would be necessary. He looks like a bum to me tho.

bdictjames
11-02-2020, 10:08 PM
Yes I agree - Deni reminds me more of Dragan Bender than Luka. Luka has an insane feel for the game, I think Deni is kind of raw still.

Thomas82
11-02-2020, 10:51 PM
Luka success in Dallas makes me believe this guy will be gone by 11. Seems like that DDR pick swap with ATL would be necessary. He looks like a bum to me tho.

I don't think he's our real target. I think the workout was just PATFO doing their due diligence.

NickiRasgo
11-02-2020, 11:11 PM
Hard pass. His weaknesses are alarming esp. in moving up for the draft heck even @ 11th.

DPG21920
11-02-2020, 11:39 PM
Deni is a top 3 pick... he's not falling to 11... if we want him we are moving way up.

I’ll take that bet. If he goes in top 3 you win. If not? I do. What do you want to bet?

mo7888
11-02-2020, 11:48 PM
I don't know I'm not much of a gambler... $100 bucks?

Degoat
11-02-2020, 11:59 PM
Deni is 3rd on my wish list but I do admit he does has some definite bust potential lol

DPG21920
11-03-2020, 12:10 AM
I don't know I'm not much of a gambler... $100 bucks?

Sure. I probably won’t even make you pay up either ;)

Chinook
11-03-2020, 12:19 AM
So one thing that hasn't been asked is if Murray and White WANT to be Spurs long term. I think there's a decent chance at least one of them doesn't want to, so a trade could happen. The Spurs find themselves in a Parker/Hill situation where they can use the value of one to boost the value of the other. For Hill, the Spurs supposedly being willing to move Tony created the impression that they saw George as the PG of the future. If they signal they are willing to move Murray, then White's value might see the same boost or vice-versa, though to a smaller extent. The same is actually true for both of those guys and Walker/Johnson if the Spurs suggest they are willing to move DeRozan, but there's more noise there.

That's all a long way of saying that the team might well have a pick in the top seven despite it currently looking like they won't give themselves the chance. Maybe something like DMDR and LMA for 7 and Griffin could make sense. It gives the Pistons a strong lineup while saving them future salary. I think 11 is too strong to add in considering how much money they're giving up for a player who isn't a clear upgrade. But if that's what it takes to get the guy they want, it could make sense.

Murray, Mills, Vet PG
Johnson, White, Weatherspoon
Avidjia (7), Walker, Woodard (41)
Griffin, Gay, Samanic
Poeltl, Lyles, Eubanks

That's not the worst team out there, thought it would for them to open up a max slot in 2021 unless Blake was willing to opt out and re-up for a fair bit less.

In case folks were still wondering, THIS is why SA was stupid for releasing Carroll without getting a good deal in the buyout. They'd likely be able to include him in a plenty of deals to get rid of his salary. Now, it stays stuck, unstretched on the cap next season.

DPG21920
11-03-2020, 12:29 AM
From what I gather White and Murray want to be here. However, with White he does want to be paid fairly (first big deal, not someone with high career earnings). He seems to be going into negotiations with every intention of staying as long as Spurs make fair offers.

mo7888
11-03-2020, 07:55 AM
Sure. I probably won’t even make you pay up either ;)

Lol... Paying up won't be a problem..

DPG21920
11-03-2020, 08:20 AM
Lol... Paying up won't be a problem..

No lol - I meant I would probably tell you to donate it to a charity vs paying me

Prime BEEF
11-03-2020, 09:43 AM
So one thing that hasn't been asked is if Murray and White WANT to be Spurs long term. I think there's a decent chance at least one of them doesn't want to, so a trade could happen. The Spurs find themselves in a Parker/Hill situation where they can use the value of one to boost the value of the other. For Hill, the Spurs supposedly being willing to move Tony created the impression that they saw George as the PG of the future. If they signal they are willing to move Murray, then White's value might see the same boost or vice-versa, though to a smaller extent. The same is actually true for both of those guys and Walker/Johnson if the Spurs suggest they are willing to move DeRozan, but there's more noise there.

That's all a long way of saying that the team might well have a pick in the top seven despite it currently looking like they won't give themselves the chance. Maybe something like DMDR and LMA for 7 and Griffin could make sense. It gives the Pistons a strong lineup while saving them future salary. I think 11 is too strong to add in considering how much money they're giving up for a player who isn't a clear upgrade. But if that's what it takes to get the guy they want, it could make sense.

Murray, Mills, Vet PG
Griffin, Gay, Samanic
Poeltl, Lyles, Eubanks

That's not the worst team out there, thought it would for them to open up a max slot in 2021 unless Blake was willing to opt out and re-up for a fair bit less.

In case folks were still wondering, THIS is why SA was stupid for releasing Carroll without getting a good deal in the buyout. They'd likely be able to include him in a plenty of deals to get rid of his salary. Now, it stays stuck, unstretched on the cap next season.
Would also want Kennard in that deal if we sent Det DDR and LMA. So DDR/LMA to Det for Griffin/Kennard/#7

but I’d prefer to do Murray, Gay, DDR to Det for Griffin/Kennard/#7

Sugus
11-03-2020, 12:03 PM
Would also want Kennard in that deal if we sent Det DDR and LMA. So DDR/LMA to Det for Griffin/Kennard/#7

I'd say that's a more realistic deal as well. I can't see Detroit taking on both DDR and LMA's salaries in this uncertain financial climate, and given both players' ages. A deal including a young "PG" like DJ who's locked up on a "good" contract for years, sounds much more palatable.

Chinook
11-03-2020, 12:25 PM

I think Detroit would want 11 too in that deal, which would be dicey.

Chinook
11-03-2020, 12:31 PM
I'd say that's a more realistic deal as well. I can't see Detroit taking on both DDR and LMA's salaries in this uncertain financial climate, and given both players' ages. A deal including a young "PG" like DJ who's locked up on a "good" contract for years, sounds much more palatable.

I don't get why you think taking DJM's and Gay's deal instead of LMA's is better for DET financially. It's more money, and more long-term money while also leaving a hole that isn't there right now. For the Spurs, it's a poor use of resources, because they'll have to make up for losing two guards while only getting a decent one back. Then they'd have to deal with a LMA/Griffin front court. Talented, but I don't think they'd play well together.

I do get the appeal of moving Murray to off-set some of Griffin's money. They'd probably have a realistic path to a max slot if they did that. It's just not my main priority anymore unless the Spurs move up to 7 to draft Haliburton or something. Then you try to trade for a mid-first to draft a wing

mo7888
11-03-2020, 12:42 PM
No lol - I meant I would probably tell you to donate it to a charity vs paying me

I like that.... if I win...send mine to St Jude's...

RC_Drunkford
11-03-2020, 12:49 PM

Luka was a star when he was 19. He outplayed Dragic at Eurobasket being that young. Deni is nowhere near that

The Truth #6
11-03-2020, 01:32 PM

Murray, Mills, Vet PG
Griffin, Gay, Samanic
Poeltl, Lyles, Eubanks

Solid points re: the Hill and Parker situation. Lots of smoke and mirrors with the Spurs, which is smart.

Prime BEEF
11-03-2020, 03:41 PM
I don't get why you think taking DJM's and Gay's deal instead of LMA's is better for DET financially. It's more money, and more long-term money while also leaving a hole that isn't there right now. For the Spurs, it's a poor use of resources, because they'll have to make up for losing two guards while only getting a decent one back. Then they'd have to deal with a LMA/Griffin front court. Talented, but I don't think they'd play well together.

I do get the appeal of moving Murray to off-set some of Griffin's money. They'd probably have a realistic path to a max slot if they did that. It's just not my main priority anymore unless the Spurs move up to 7 to draft Haliburton or something. Then you try to trade for a mid-first to draft a wing
I'm not a fan of Deni at all. If the FO would make that trade to get #7 to me it should be to move up to get Haliburton. That's why i'm not as worried about losing Murray and DDR.

Chinook
11-03-2020, 04:34 PM
I'm not a fan of Deni at all. If the FO would make that trade to get #7 to me it should be to move up to get Haliburton. That's why i'm not as worried about losing Murray and DDR.

I'm not married to the dude either. But this thread was talking about the Spurs working him out, so I put him as their pick.

DPG21920
11-03-2020, 05:50 PM
I like that.... if I win...send mine to St Jude's...

Same - great bet!

Sugus
11-03-2020, 07:35 PM

I think it's more palatable to Detroit since, while true that it's more long-term money with DJ's 4-year deal, it's also a lot of long-term security for a young player who, in their eyes, is coming off a down season after an ACL and could be breaking out soon. Of course, we Spurs fans know it ain't happening, but I can see Detroit talking themselves into it. DDR+LMA is not only a LOT of money, it's also mostly guaranteed that neither of them will re-sign there after their contracts end, so they'd be losing their lottery pick for a one-year rental of two vets that aren't moving their needle. Matter-of-fact, to be honest, I don't see why Detroit would do that deal at all, except maybe to get out of Griffin's salary, which I don't know that they're too desperate to do (and what's more, willing to sacrifice a #7 pick to do).

Maybe "more financially palatable" would've been the right expression. In any case, I don't think either trade is likely, especially without having to throw #11 in - Detroit isn't losing their lottery pick for over-the-hill, overpaid vets who won't take them anywhere and won't re-sign there, whether that combination is DDR/LMA or Gay/DDR or whomever, tbh.

Dverde
11-03-2020, 10:05 PM
Luka was a star when he was 19. He outplayed Dragic at Eurobasket being that young. Deni is nowhere near that

Its not that people think Deni is on Luka’s level. Someone will want to reach for a Euro in a league with uncertainty. I think he’ll be picked between pick 5 and 9, but I am also an idiot who is guessing.

ace3g
04-21-2021, 07:20 PM
I haven't seen full video but apparently teammate immediately covered his leg after injury...

https://twitter.com/ClutchPointsApp/status/1385024690326958081

Dejounte
04-21-2021, 07:29 PM
Oh fuck wow

BackHome
04-21-2021, 07:35 PM
Man that does not look good at all - hopefully it's something he can recover from it always sucks to see players get these type of major injuries

ace3g
04-21-2021, 08:24 PM
Wizards rookie forward Deni Avdija (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/avdijde01.html?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-) suffered a hairline fracture in his right ankle, ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski tweets.