PDA

View Full Version : So anyone else having trouble getting change made lately?

baseline bum
08-23-2020, 03:57 PM
Went to Walmart on Friday to pick up some groceries and only one of the 8 or 9 self-checkouts would take cash because the rest were out of change. Grabbed some Mexican food yesterday and they couldn't give the 20 cents change I was due so I just told them to throw in another green sauce and we'll call it good. Grabbed some Vietnamese food today and they had to round the bill to the nearest dollar too. What the fuck kind of third world shit is this to not have a properly functioning currency?

spurraider21
08-23-2020, 03:58 PM
Went to Walmart on Friday to pick up some groceries and only one of the 8 or 9 self-checkouts would take cash because the rest were out of change. Grabbed some Mexican food yesterday and they couldn't give the 20 cents change I was due so I just told them to throw in another green sauce and we'll call it good. Grabbed some Vietnamese food today and they had to round the bill to the nearest dollar too. What the fuck kind of third world shit is this to not have a properly functioning currency?
i've been seeing coin shortage signs at local markets for a while now, but i buy everything on card anyway

ducks
08-23-2020, 03:59 PM
I use my debit card mostly
What happens when you make $$$$$$ on betting on trump over Clinton

baseline bum
08-23-2020, 04:01 PM
i've been seeing coin shortage signs at local markets for a while now, but i buy everything on card anyway

I buy cash whenever possible in person because taking credit cards sucks if you're a small business owner. Not only do the credit card companies take a tribute out of the payment but they also take their sweet time paying the owners. And no way I'd trust using a debit card.

ElNono
08-23-2020, 04:07 PM

We discussed this a while back. It's the economy not moving and the fact that's cheaper to make bills than coins (plus bills have a shorter lifetime than coins). Also, the mint doesn't have the authority to change the metals on coins to make them cheaper, only Congress can approve that change, and we know how well Congress is running right about now.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/why-do-us-coins-seem-to-be-in-short-supply-coin-shortage.htm

Spurtacular
08-23-2020, 04:25 PM
All part of the plandemic. We called this in advance.

ChumpDumper
08-23-2020, 04:27 PM
All part of the plandemic. We called this in advance.:lol no you didn't

Spurtacular
08-23-2020, 04:28 PM
Derp

ChumpDumper
08-23-2020, 04:29 PM
DerpWhat about you?

DarrinS
08-23-2020, 04:35 PM
I use card for everything.

Blake
08-23-2020, 04:38 PM
It's definitely way past time to at least scrap the penny.

spurraider21
08-23-2020, 04:40 PM
I buy cash whenever possible in person because taking credit cards sucks if you're a small business owner. Not only do the credit card companies take a tribute out of the payment but they also take their sweet time paying the owners. And no way I'd trust using a debit card.
People with cards tend to spend more than cash users too, psychologically. Stores will also analyze what % of sales are in card and markup prices accordingly.

I do all my shopping at Kroger and Trader Joe’s so I’m not to worried about them as if they were struggling mom and pop

ducks
08-23-2020, 04:41 PM
It's definitely way past time to at least scrap the penny. round up an no income tax would fix that

Will Hunting
08-23-2020, 04:42 PM
round up an no income tax would fix that
You mean no sales tax retard?

Reck
08-23-2020, 04:44 PM
And no way I'd trust using a debit card.

Why is that?

baseline bum
08-23-2020, 04:44 PM
People with cards tend to spend more than cash users too, psychologically. Stores will also analyze what % of sales are in card and markup prices accordingly.

I do all my shopping at Kroger and Trader Joe’s so I’m not to worried about them as if they were struggling mom and pop

Another reason I prefer buying cash whenever possible. Always easy to buy extra crap when you don't have that experience of physically giving something of value away in exchange. But most restaurants I go to are mom and pop places, especially now since I know they desperately need the business while Whataburger or Texas Roadhouse really is in no danger of going under.

Will Hunting
08-23-2020, 04:46 PM
You guys are better men than me. I have two cards that I use for everything - my Amex which I use 90% of the time, and my Chase Sapphire for all the places that don't take Amex. The points I get with my Amex offer too much to pass up.

Blake
08-23-2020, 04:56 PM
Why is that?

Punching in your PIN at the register? Ehh

Reck
08-23-2020, 05:00 PM
Punching in your PIN at the register? Ehh

In this day in age there is no way you wouldn't know any funny business took place within seconds.

You literally get notified for the smallest thing these days.

ElNono
08-23-2020, 05:03 PM
You guys are better men than me. I have two cards that I use for everything - my Amex which I use 90% of the time, and my Chase Sapphire for all the places that don't take Amex. The points I get with my Amex offer too much to pass up.

Me too. Haven't carried cash around in ages. Plus things like apple pay or now the contactless cards make it quick and convenient to pay.

Blake
08-23-2020, 05:14 PM
In this day in age there is no way you wouldn't know any funny business took place within seconds.

You literally get notified for the smallest thing these days.

I had credit card funny business happen to me about a year ago with someone in California using "my card" at several different Target stores. Even though I disputed the charges, it still sucked and I can only imagine the extra amount of suckage if they had my PIN number.

spurraider21
08-23-2020, 06:00 PM
i use my citi double points almost exclusively

i was explaining to bb why i dont feel bad about using cards

DMC
08-23-2020, 07:46 PM
I have a few hundred in my wallet that I've had for months. Sometimes I tip in cash and put zero on the tab so the waiter has the option to pay or not pay taxes.

TXstbobcat
08-23-2020, 09:35 PM

the Wells Fargo propel card has a really good rewards program too.

Trainwreck2100
08-24-2020, 02:41 AM

Yep, I have 2 cards as well 1 with 2% back on everything one with 3% back on dining

rmt
08-24-2020, 08:01 AM
Yes. Pollo Tropical has a sign about their preference for debit, credit or gift cards - will give change if in the mid but will forgo if $16.02 - 3 kids' meals.

I've rolled up most of my change (had a big plastic container of it) but gotta make an appointment at the bank to turn it in (can't go thru the drive thru/chute obviously).

CosmicCowboy
08-24-2020, 08:20 PM
I love taking and using credit cards on iffy clients. I get paid in a week at most and don't have to fuck with invoicing and hoping they pay in 60-90 days. I personally use a cash back credit cards for business and personal and nake at least $5000 a year tax free doing it.