08-23-2020, 08:09 PM
https://i.imgur.com/4rbT97f.jpg

Onyeka Okongwu

College: USC
Position: C/PF
Height: 6-foot-9
Weight: 245 pounds
Draft Range: 3 to 12

Why: Big time defender. Very good rim protector, offers timely help, impressive mobility when defending pick-and-rolls and plays with a consistent motor. Solid rebounder; sets mean screens. Avoids needless fouls well. Extremely efficient on both ends. Offensively, has a good touch and shows a lot promise in the post, as a passer and even as a ball-handler. Shoots 72% from the line and his stroke looks good so he has a chance to expand his range. Runs hard both ways.

Why Not: Not the optimal size for a center. He's 6-foot-9, not overly long and has relatively slender shoulders. He's sturdy but not notably strong yet; sometimes gets pushed around. Not an outside shooting threat right now. A little undisciplined at times in terms of leaving his feet too often. Might be able to play PF down the road if his skills (and range) improve but only a center as it is.

Spurs Fit: At the very least, the Spurs would give him Poeltl's minutes. It's possible he could start next to Aldridge but that's a bit of a longshot.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Rich Man's Tiago Splitter

Spurs Comparison - Floor: Smaller Jakob Poeltl

Statistics (http://www.tankathon.com/players/onyeka-okongwu)
Highlight Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1qUx5SwhXA)
Interview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6H0f___-bc)

r0drig0lac
08-23-2020, 08:20 PM
Adebayo?

Russ
08-23-2020, 08:27 PM
He could be the guy for the Spurs. But how to get him . . .

Okongwu is the prototype new NBA big man – mobile, athletic, runs the floor, great man-to-man defender, rim-protector, catlike offensive moves around the basket, great potential as a shooter. In short, possible star.

Underrated because he is young, played college ball in SoCal like you-know-who (so nobody cares about him nationally), keeps his head down and just performs. He gets lost in the shuffle of SoCal college basketball where even if you win March Madness (7 years in a row and 10 years out of 12) nobody really much cares. You can’t even get anyone to build you a modern gym to play in. Too much to do out here (or so they say).

Okongwu was California Mr. Basketball. Twice. Guess who else won California Mr. Basketball and was kind of overlooked on the national stage?

As far as similarities to that looming presence, Okongwu has also had family tragedy – his older brother died from severe brain trauma after a skateboarding accident. But his family is the opposite of dysfunctional. His parents are Nigerian immigrants and he’s a good student. (By contrast, if you’re Mr. Basketball in California and you end up at San Diego State, you’re not a good student.) Heck, as a Nigerian kid with good grades, he could be from Houston (way more than Compton).

Okongwu is the type of player who could be a better pro player than college player. Because his athleticism, size, and physicality are off the charts. His jumper needs work but his form is good – he shoots 72% from the line, a nice platform for Chip to start with.

Bottom line, Okongwu looks like the type of player who will be better with the Spurs than with another outfit – a player who can be created from raw potential the way the Spurs created Kawhi.

Doubtful that the Spurs will have a shot at him but it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re thinking about how to try.

Dejounte
08-23-2020, 08:28 PM
Reminds me of Anthony Davis

DAF86
08-23-2020, 08:35 PM
No Californians, please.

BG_Spurs_Fan
08-24-2020, 01:45 AM
Really like this kid but can’t see him dropping.

Thomas82
08-25-2020, 10:45 PM
I wonder if he'll grow another inch or 2 since he's only 19.

TD 21
09-20-2020, 03:25 PM
He could be the guy for the Spurs. But how to get him . . .

Okongwu is the prototype new NBA big man – mobile, athletic, runs the floor, great man-to-man defender, rim-protector, catlike offensive moves around the basket, great potential as a shooter. In short, possible star.

Underrated because he is young, played college ball in SoCal like you-know-who (so nobody cares about him nationally), keeps his head down and just performs. He gets lost in the shuffle of SoCal college basketball where even if you win March Madness (7 years in a row and 10 years out of 12) nobody really much cares. You can’t even get anyone to build you a modern gym to play in. Too much to do out here (or so they say).

Okongwu was California Mr. Basketball. Twice. Guess who else won California Mr. Basketball and was kind of overlooked on the national stage?

As far as similarities to that looming presence, Okongwu has also had family tragedy – his older brother died from severe brain trauma after a skateboarding accident. But his family is the opposite of dysfunctional. His parents are Nigerian immigrants and he’s a good student. (By contrast, if you’re Mr. Basketball in California and you end up at San Diego State, you’re not a good student.) Heck, as a Nigerian kid with good grades, he could be from Houston (way more than Compton).

Okongwu is the type of player who could be a better pro player than college player. Because his athleticism, size, and physicality are off the charts. His jumper needs work but his form is good – he shoots 72% from the line, a nice platform for Chip to start with.

Bottom line, Okongwu looks like the type of player who will be better with the Spurs than with another outfit – a player who can be created from raw potential the way the Spurs created Kawhi.

Doubtful that the Spurs will have a shot at him but it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re thinking about how to try.

They could offer Murray, Poeltl (not technically, but agree in principle to not match an offer sheet) and 11 for 7 and Kennard.

Would allow them to consolidate, streamline, re-start the clock and fill a specific need.

Murray and Poeltl could easily cost at or near $25 million annually for the next 4 years. They're already 24 and 25 and limited offensively. Throw in a White extension and the annual total soars past $40 million for players who are probably near their ceilings, aren't stars and likely won't all be easy to move should one emerge at their position in the future.

Maddog
09-20-2020, 05:54 PM
No Californians, please.

Need an uncle check

mo7888
09-20-2020, 06:01 PM
They could offer Murray, Poeltl (not technically, but agree in principle to not match an offer sheet) and 11 for 7 and Kennard.

Would allow them to consolidate, streamline, re-start the clock and fill a specific need.

Murray and Poeltl could easily cost at or near $25 million annually for the next 4 years. They're already 24 and 25 and limited offensively. Throw in a White extension and the annual total soars past $40 million for players who are probably near their ceilings, aren't stars and likely won't all be easy to move should one emerge at their position in the future.

I'm not sure if Okongwu is who I'd target but, I'd be willing to do Murray and 11 for 7 and Kennard. Kennard is a better fit with his outside shooting and there's another year before he gets paid. I could definitely see Detroit doing something along those lines.

Dejounte
09-20-2020, 06:54 PM
https://youtu.be/d9iBjZ1Guiw

Watching him a bit more...

I'm getting Tristan Thompson vibes, but a bigger version of him. In today's NBA that may or may not be a star. I don't know. The body language, to me, is very similar if you watch both back to back. A bigger Tristan Thompson is pretty lethal, given how "small" the actual Tristan plays even though he is a big. They both like to make hook shots and both have solid footwork in the post. Maybe OO is a little quicker? They both also like to fight for offensive rebounds.

https://youtu.be/7a5nP9FR0Ok

https://youtu.be/m3qDexgLOQg

Dejounte
09-20-2020, 07:23 PM
Between the two potential top 10 droppers Toppin and OO, I'd rather take OO. Simply because I believe defense dictates the ceiling of your team and I fear with Toppin, it's just too hard to ignore his flaws on that end. While OO may be more of a clean up / rim running big on offense, it's easier to find line-up combinations to make it work than it is to cover someone who can't protect the rim or stay in front of a man, which apparently Toppin struggles to do.

But if you're trading up, GET HALLIBURTON.

rankingtear
09-20-2020, 07:40 PM
If he falls to 11 that's value, giving up assets to move up 3 spots to get him is just overpay.

TD 21
09-20-2020, 11:24 PM
I'm not sure if Okongwu is who I'd target but, I'd be willing to do Murray and 11 for 7 and Kennard. Kennard is a better fit with his outside shooting and there's another year before he gets paid. I could definitely see Detroit doing something along those lines.

Yeah, I'd probably target Hayes at 7. Haliburton and Okongwu are higher floor, but he's higher ceiling and would fill a more pressing long term need.

DAF86
09-21-2020, 06:49 PM
So, I've been watching a bit of him. He seems to project as a versatile defensive center who lacks in several offensive areas. A more athletic Poeltl if you will.

Although I would be more than fine with that type of player, one has to wonder just how valuable are they in today's NBA. Clint Capela (not a perfect comparisson, I know, but similar in the sense that he is a defense first center whose only offensive contribution comes from being a pick and roll player, got traded away for being unplayable when it really matters). Other defensive centers whose only offensive contribution is the pick and roll I can think of are Gobert, McGee, Poeltl and probably a couple more I'm forgetting. Most go from average to good players, the only border line all-star is Gobbert but only because he's a freak of nature physically, and even then, when it's clutch time, his importance diminished.

What I'm trying to say is that these type of players have a clear ceiling attached to them. With that in mind, is it really worth it to spend a lottery pick on them?

mo7888
09-21-2020, 09:18 PM
So, I've been watching a bit of him. He seems to project as a versatile defensive center who lacks in several offensive areas. A more athletic Poeltl if you will.

Although I would be more than fine with that type of player, one has to wonder just how valuable are they in today's NBA. Clint Capela (not a perfect comparisson, I know, but similar in the sense that he is a defense first center whose only offensive contribution comes from being a pick and roll player, got traded away for being unplayable when it really matters). Other defensive centers whose only offensive contribution is the pick and roll I can think of are Gobert, McGee, Poeltl and probably a couple more I'm forgetting. Most go from average to good players, the only border line all-star is Gobbert but only because he's a freak of nature physically, and even then, when it's clutch time, his importance diminished.

What I'm trying to say is that these type of players have a clear ceiling attached to them. With that in mind, is it really worth it to spend a lottery pick on them?

I feel the same way. You can get a player of similar impact elsewhere and cheaper. Spend the lottery pick on someone who has the potential to be a difference maker.

Dejounte
11-05-2020, 10:38 AM
https://twitter.com/NBADraftWass/status/1324351710811377665?s=19

This thread was really buried

Dejounte
11-05-2020, 10:40 AM
So thats three reported in person meetings out of ten.

Pat, Onyeka, Deni

cd021
11-05-2020, 12:16 PM
Hard to see him falling down to 11 but some one is bound too. I like him, personally, though not my first or second choice.

mo7888
11-05-2020, 10:26 PM
So thats three reported in person meetings out of ten.

Pat, Onyeka, Deni

It looks fairly obvious that we are trading up in this draft..

Sugus
11-05-2020, 11:43 PM
It looks fairly obvious that we are trading up in this draft..

Would love to know whether my guy MoSpur02 has heard something about this possibility...

DPG21920
11-06-2020, 12:02 AM
Yes there’s a possibility. Especially with a Derozan deal possibly adding to their pick trove

MoSpur02
11-06-2020, 03:00 AM
Would love to know whether my guy MoSpur02 has heard something about this possibility...

There’s a chance, but haven’t heard anything solid.

cd021
11-06-2020, 06:41 AM
Yes there’s a possibility. Especially with a Derozan deal possibly adding to their pick trove
Adding to or improving our standing in the draft? I would think the latter.

99 Problems
11-06-2020, 07:43 AM
Leverage, and we might just have some this time around. Would be damn exciting to draft up in that rare air draft altitude tbh.

Dejounte
11-06-2020, 07:58 AM
There’s a chance, but haven’t heard anything solid.

He's alive!!!

R. DeMurre
11-06-2020, 01:16 PM
It would be a pretty cool move by the Spurs if they were confident about their scouting to move up and have two lottery picks in a supposedly down draft year. I like the gamble.

MoSpur02
11-06-2020, 08:13 PM
He's alive!!!

My man! I’ve missed this place, but honestly this pandemic has taken its toll on me. One of my sisters passed away because of COVID. It was one of the hardest things I have had to go through. Didn’t get an opportunity to spend any time with her during her battle with COVID.

The Spurs and the NBA just aren’t what they used to be to me honestly. I watched some games here and there, checked up on this site to read stuff and so on, but it’s not the same. She was a huge Spurs fan and would call me to always ask what channel they were gonna play on and what time.

I haven’t spoke to my source all that much, but really there hasn’t been much to talk about lately in the Spurs world. This site will be the first to know if I get any inside info.

Stay safe y’all. Hopefully some good breaking news comes about sooner rather than later.

Dejounte
11-06-2020, 08:22 PM
My man! I’ve missed this place, but honestly this pandemic has taken its toll on me. One of my sisters passed away because of COVID. It was one of the hardest things I have had to go through. Didn’t get an opportunity to spend any time with her during her battle with COVID.

The Spurs and the NBA just aren’t what they used to be to me honestly. I watched some games here and there, checked up on this site to read stuff and so on, but it’s not the same. She was a huge Spurs fan and would call me to always ask what channel they were gonna play on and what time.

I haven’t spoke to my source all that much, but really there hasn’t been much to talk about lately in the Spurs world. This site will be the first to know if I get any inside info.

Stay safe y’all. Hopefully some good breaking news comes about sooner rather than later.

Mo,

I'm very sorry to hear that. I lost someone very close to me recently too (I'd rather share in private as to who) and it shattered my world. My deepest condolences. It will take time to heal is what I tell myself everyday. Hope you have close friends and family to talk to and if not, myself and Spurstalk family are always here if you want to chat.

MoSpur02
11-06-2020, 08:50 PM
Mo,

I'm very sorry to hear that. I lost someone very close to me recently too (I'd rather share in private as to who) and it shattered my world. My deepest condolences. It will take time to heal is what I tell myself everyday. Hope you have close friends and family to talk to and if not, myself and Spurstalk family are always here if you want to chat.

Appreciate it fam. Thankfully I have a great support system around, but the Spurstalk fam is a great escape no doubt. My condolences to you and your family. Unfortunately I know all to well what it feels like. Again I appreciate the words. 2021 can’t come sooner.

DPG21920
11-06-2020, 09:33 PM
Appreciate it fam. Thankfully I have a great support system around, but the Spurstalk fam is a great escape no doubt. My condolences to you and your family. Unfortunately I know all to well what it feels like. Again I appreciate the words. 2021 can’t come sooner.

Really sorry, Mo. losing loved ones is brutal. Glad you have a great support system and your Spurs fam is here in our own way too.

MoSpur02
11-07-2020, 02:05 AM
Really sorry, Mo. losing loved ones is brutal. Glad you have a great support system and your Spurs fam is here in our own way too.

Thanks my man. Appreciate it

D-Robinson 50 fan
11-10-2020, 12:03 AM

Sorry for your loss.

Try and stay as positive as you can.

hooperflash
11-10-2020, 12:09 AM
My man! I’ve missed this place, but honestly this pandemic has taken its toll on me.

Sorry to hear that brotha Mo. I personally lost my grandmother to this virus along with 4 of her siblings. For a lot of folks they cannot wait to get back to their normal lives - but for the many you have had to bury their loved ones, it'll never feel "normal" again. Rest her soul.

I feel you about the Spurs, I would watch some games here and there as well. I rarely came in here, but this year will be a different one. I can feel the Spurs gears going, PATFO are gonna give us a great product on the court in a few years.

D-Robinson 50 fan
11-10-2020, 11:06 AM
Damn..

To all the folks who have lost loved ones, I'm sorry for your loss.

Alot of silly people in this country tried to act like COVID-19 was a hoax while so many people have succumbed to this awful virus. Sad stuff.

rjv
11-10-2020, 11:46 AM
Damn..

To all the folks who have lost loved ones, I'm sorry for your loss.

Alot of silly people in this country tried to act like COVID-19 was a hoax while so many people have succumbed to this awful virus. Sad stuff.

couldn't agree more. and condolences to all that have lost a loved one.

MoSpur02
11-10-2020, 02:49 PM
Appreciate words from D-Robinson 50 fan, hopper flash, and rjv. Means a lot. My condolences to anyone else who lost a loved one because of Covid.