PDA

View Full Version : Brett Brown Fired, Room for Pop in Philly?

DMC
08-24-2020, 06:44 PM
There are rumors.

Floyd Pacquiao
08-24-2020, 07:16 PM
Will he take bryn marco and patty with him?

toki9
08-24-2020, 07:20 PM
Jonathon Simmons has since deleted his tweet...but here is what he had to say: "Bout time they fired his ass". (Saw the tweet and then it was deleted. Sorry for not capturing it.)

RC_Drunkford
08-24-2020, 07:58 PM
as long as Pop takes Forbes with him, he can go anywhere

Twisted_Dawg
08-24-2020, 08:45 PM
The Athletic had another piece today with the Nets showing interest in hiring Pop. Curious if Pop is interested in either job, and if so is laying the groundwork for his departure out of SA with his recent string of vitriolic attacks on Trump? Now that would really be CIA Pop.

TDMVPDPOY
08-24-2020, 08:47 PM
good, so he can come back prepare australia for the olympics to finish 4th or lower...

Dverde
08-24-2020, 08:56 PM
It makes sense. Both teams are in the East and the Spurs would never trade Pop to a western conference rival :rollin

DAF86
08-24-2020, 08:57 PM
Jonathon Simmons has since deleted his tweet...but here is what he had to say: "Bout time they fired his ass". (Saw the tweet and then it was deleted. Sorry for not capturing it.)

Did Simmons share time with Brown here in San Antonio? I can't remember.

Twisted_Dawg
08-24-2020, 08:57 PM
If Pop does tell the Spurs he wants a divorce a la Kawhi, I wonder what the Spurs get back in return? A 2021 #1 pick?

Degoat
08-24-2020, 09:14 PM
Why the fck would pop want to leave the spurs??? Lol

KobesAchilles
08-24-2020, 09:18 PM
Anyway we can hire Larry Brown? What’s he up to? I figure he’s worn out of college players by now

Texas_Ranger
08-24-2020, 09:27 PM
Why the fck would pop want to leave the spurs??? Lol

i am sure Pop would rather have Bryn and Patty than Durant and Irving.

DMC
08-24-2020, 09:40 PM
If Pop does tell the Spurs he wants a divorce a la Kawhi, I wonder what the Spurs get back in return? A 2021 #1 pick?

A trip to the Finals in 2021

Degoat
08-24-2020, 09:53 PM
i am sure Pop would rather have Bryn and Patty than Durant and Irving.

why go be a servant, when your king of SA Lol

Uriel
08-24-2020, 09:54 PM
A better question would be whether Brown would be interested in returning to the Spurs' coaching staff.

exstatic
08-24-2020, 10:01 PM

Post Orlando, Simmons wound up in Philly, and was played in only 15 games, and after the season, was traded with another asset for $2M in cash, then cut, getting only $1M this past season. You can’t feed a bazillion kids on that!

toki9
08-24-2020, 11:08 PM

I don't think they did. Brown started with the 76ers in August 2013, and Simmons tried out for Austin in September of 2013. So Simmons played for Brown only from Feburary of 2019 until he was traded again in June of 2019 (Subsequently waived by the Wizards on July 2019).

DAF86
08-24-2020, 11:16 PM
Post Orlando, Simmons wound up in Philly, and was played in only 15 games, and after the season, was traded with another asset for $2M in cash, then cut, getting only $1M this past season. You can’t feed a bazillion kids on that!

It seems like Simmons is just butthurt that Brown figured out he was not an NBA player.

Longlonglongtimelurk
08-25-2020, 05:14 AM
No way Pop goes on to coach another team. It’s stick it out in SA for another year or two or retirement. Have you ever seen a 70+ year old in a new setting? It will end in tears for Philly and Pop would probably lose the players that aren’t willing to be barked at or willing to change their inefficient ways for him.

SpursRussia
08-25-2020, 05:30 AM
Pop to the Nets, Kenny Atkinson to the Spurs. Pop gets to compete for a chip one last time and Kenny was amazing rebuilding BKN with no pieces whatsoever, he can do a great job here. Then Pop can return as POBO and retire a Spur

Kurgan
08-25-2020, 05:53 AM

Pretty much. The only reason Pop would leave is if he REALLY hated the rebuilding process and just wanted to coach another 50 win team. I doubt this though. Pop has always been a control freak and there's no other team in the league where he gets to run everything with absolute authority. The media cannot criticize him in SA, they have a history of blacklisting reporters that do. The front office is controlled by Pop. The ownership won't ever fire him(his buddy Buford is CEO and the Holt children are too green to pull off that kind of controversial move).

The New York media would eat Pop alive. And the Nets are a team where the players(Durant/Kyrie) run the show. After the Nephew drama, Pop isn't moving to a situation where the players have ALL the leverage.

And the Sixers job has the same problems as the Nets job, except the players at the top are worse.

4lifecowboy
08-25-2020, 07:44 AM
Only reason I could see Pop leaving is because the second generation of Holts want to be more hands on. Couple of things though, Brooklyn has no first round pick this year, which mean future picks will probably late picks. Second Kenny Atkinson over Becky Hammond.

dbestpro
08-25-2020, 07:53 AM
A future 1st round pick and Dinwiddie who lives in SA for Pop.

Spurs Homer
08-25-2020, 08:18 AM
Embiid is the reason sixers got swept

he has talent but zero heart

Truth4sale$
08-25-2020, 08:52 AM
From what I have read, Brett Brown is a poor X and O's coach, but was great in player development. I am not sure who is handling player development now, but the Spurs have had success with D.White, but the jury is still out on Murray, Walker IV, Metu and Samanic. Maybe another set of eyes could help. Although that being said, he couldn't get Ben Simmons to work on his outside shot....so how good is his player development???
My thoughts/verdict...pass

mo7888
08-25-2020, 08:56 AM
From what I have read, Brett Brown is a poor X and O's coach, but was great in player development. I am not sure who is handling player development now, but the Spurs have had success with D.White, but the jury is still out on Murray, Walker IV, Metu and Samanic. Maybe another set of eyes could help. Although that being said, he couldn't get Ben Simmons to work on his outside shot....so how good is his player development???
My thoughts/verdict...pass

Simmons isn't going to listen to anyone he doesn't want to unless management forces him to(and they haven't). Guys with less 'juice' don't have that luxury... I'd love to see Brown back on staff here.... I think he will hold out for another HC gig though. I thought he did well when he had more shooting around a younger Embid/ Simmons with guys like Reddick, Saric, and Covington.

Dex
08-25-2020, 09:04 AM
Simmons isn't going to listen to anyone he doesn't want to unless management forces him to(and they haven't). Guys with less 'juice' don't have that luxury... I'd love to see Brown back on staff here.... I think he will hold out for another HC gig though. I thought he did well when he had more shooting around a younger Embid/ Simmons with guys like Reddick, Saric, and Covington.

Yep, he was a crazy bounce in a Game 7 away from upsetting the eventual champs and getting the 76ers to the Finals.

Then Brand and co. sabotaged their plan and put together an awkward team that was further compounded by injuries. People sure do have short memories in the NBA.

mo7888
08-25-2020, 09:16 AM
Shams Charania: "Pop said once the season ended for San Antonio that he intends to continue coaching, and I haven’t sensed an indication that it will be anywhere but San Antonio, but again, the fact remains that there are a lot of connection that the Nets will exercise and see the viability of a pursuit and it may just be a couple phone calls away between, you know, the parties involved and you get to the root idea. But, you know, I think there is some hope within the Nets that this could be a discussion that moves forward."

I'm not against this. I'm not down on Pop like alot of people here are but, I can see the advantage of getting a return for a coach that won't be here over a couple more years. Plus there are guys available who would fit well as a replacement... Ime... Brown... Atkinson... maybe Vaughn....

The question is what would Brooklyn need to give to get him out of his contract here? I'd say their 1st plus a young player. (Allen or Claxton)

SAGirl
08-25-2020, 09:22 AM
No that was when he was traded to Philly.

ZeusWillJudge
08-25-2020, 09:54 AM

Yeah. People talking like the Spurs would "trade" Pop. He would have to trade himself, because he runs the entire show here. He won't get that kind of autonomy anywhere else.

Yes, OP, there is room in Philly for Pop. But not enough room for Pop and his ego.

ZeusWillJudge
08-25-2020, 09:59 AM
It seems like Simmons is just butthurt that Brown figured out he was not an NBA player.

His per-36 stats were actually pretty decent when he did play (for a role player obviously). And he shot something like .430 from 3P.

No, I think the problem was that Brown admitted that he isn't a PG. :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-25-2020, 11:55 AM
I don't think Pop wants to deal with the headache of establishing himself with a new team or market at this point in his career. Philly's a bit of a mess, and who knows what New Jersey is going to look like with two Prima Donnas to cater to out there. Of course, here we have a depleted roster that likely won't compete for sh!t next year, but at least Pop's the king of the sh!t in San Antonio.

bigfan
08-25-2020, 12:06 PM
When Pop leaves the Spurs he will be done in basketball and headed off to some vineyard someplace for a well deserved retirement.

DMC
08-25-2020, 05:23 PM
I told everyone here Simmons was trash.