PDA

View Full Version : Bowen on Pop-Nets rumors: As you continue to hear things, you start to understand that maybe there's more life than we thought

TD 21
08-25-2020, 05:24 PM
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1298349955782934533

Interestingly, he's yet to refute the growing reports. Still can't see it, but if he actually goes through with it, I'll lose all respect for him.

Part of why they're in the predicament they are is because he preferred to attempt to remain competitive. To bail now would reflect poorly, especially considering the organizational ethos/spiel about character and getting over yourself.

You'd think he'd want to return serve to Durant and all the other divas who refused to sign here over the years.

And before anyone claims he'd be doing it for the good of the franchise, a 19th pick in and of itself or packaged more than likely isn't changing their fortunes.

RC_Drunkford
08-25-2020, 05:27 PM
you can't really blame Pop. If the Spurs don't have enough money to bring back Forbes, I can see him go to another franchise to keep coaching his son

DAF86
08-25-2020, 05:48 PM
I will always love Pop, but at this point of his career I would take that 19th pick over Pop any day of the week.

r0drig0lac
08-25-2020, 05:51 PM
if he takes Mills and Forbes with him, goodbye!

mo7888
08-25-2020, 05:51 PM
I will always love Pop, but at this point of his career I would take that 19th pick over Pop any day of the week.

I think I'm in that boat as well...

TD 21
08-25-2020, 05:53 PM

We know he fell off a cliff long ago, but it's about the principle.

Also, I'm sick of these divas and the media who kiss their ass for access to their camp, with their disgusting classism, thinking they can lure any prominent small market name to big markets.

cd021
08-25-2020, 05:54 PM
Would the pick from this year's draft? Even still, I tend to agree.

If Pop wants to leave, then getting a 1st and being able to officially start a new era seems like a pretty good outcome.

DMC
08-25-2020, 05:58 PM
Spurs need a Frank Vogel with the best player on the floor being someone like washed up Paul George (current Paul George) and Carmelo Anthony close 2nd.

Russ
08-25-2020, 06:07 PM
It's always the move at the end of your long career with one team that you regret (apart from, of course, the money :)).

Tony Parker to Charlotte.

Phil Jackson to the Knicks.

Emmitt Smith to Arizona.

The list goes on.

Don't do it, Pop.

GAustex
08-25-2020, 06:13 PM
#well bye gif

DMC
08-25-2020, 06:14 PM
It's always the move at the end of your long career with one team that you regret (apart from, of course, the money :)).

Emmitt Smith to Arizona.

The list goes on.

Don't do it, Pop.

Tom Brady to Florida, Lebron James to LA, Kobe to Denver etc...

daslicer
08-25-2020, 06:31 PM
you can't really blame Pop. If the Spurs don't have enough money to bring back Forbes, I can see him go to another franchise to keep coaching his son

:lmao

daslicer
08-25-2020, 06:33 PM

Emmitt Smith to Arizona.

The list goes on.

Don't do it, Pop.

Pop coaching Durant and Kyrie would be comedy. Both of them would be in tears having to dealing with his yelling. Their not used to dealing with a hard ass coach.

Russ
08-25-2020, 06:56 PM
Pop coaching Durant and Kyrie would be comedy. Both of them would be in tears having to dealing with his yelling. Their not used to dealing with a hard ass coach.

And Pop isn't used to dealing with a hard-ass media.

gambit1990
08-25-2020, 06:57 PM
pop would get that nets team to the finals in year one.

i hate kd and cryrie though so i don’t want pop to go there...

gambit1990
08-25-2020, 06:59 PM
people are overlooking that pop has already been around kd and cryrie with team usa. so it’s not like he’d be dealing with players he’s never dealt with before.

gambit1990
08-25-2020, 07:07 PM
i feel like pop and joe tsai could get along... but just imagine the ny media asking pop about china... no way tsai would be thrilled with what pop would have to say.

Dejounte
08-25-2020, 07:10 PM
Pop is not going to say he loves a kid and call them family and just leave. This would be out of character for him and against everything he stands for.

objective
08-25-2020, 07:33 PM

Agreed.

Hell, let's work some players into it.

Pop & Murray for 19 and Levert OR Dimwiddie, give the point guard reigns to White full time.

Also, I wonder what Pop's assistants would look like.

He'd probably keep Vaughn. Boylen is without a job. Udoka might not get a head job after that Philly disaster.

Maybe drag Chip with him.

dbreiden83080
08-25-2020, 08:34 PM
Brooklyn LOL.. What so Kyrie can get hurt again.. Don't do it Pop..

dbreiden83080
08-25-2020, 08:36 PM
people are overlooking that pop has already been around kd and cryrie with team usa. so it’s not like he’d be dealing with players he’s never dealt with before.

Except Kyrie is garbage.. He's done nothing since he was traded from Cleveland, but run his mouth, change teams, alienate team-mates, and get injured..

This clown only played in 20 games this year.. Then he was talking about how nobody should come back to play because of Social Justice.. When he was too hurt to play anyway.. :rolleyes

That Dude is Toxic..

Chinook
08-25-2020, 08:37 PM
Agreed.

Hell, let's work some players into it.

Think the rule is you can't work players into it. Has to just be the coach for picks or rights.

KobesAchilles
08-25-2020, 09:24 PM
Would love to have Larry Brown back with Gentry running the offense.

ZeusWillJudge
08-25-2020, 09:36 PM

Emmitt Smith to Arizona.

The list goes on.

Don't do it, Pop.

Jeffrey Epstein to the Virgin Islands.

Degoat
08-25-2020, 10:27 PM
I’d be happy for Pop if he chose to join the nets, get one last huge pay day. Can’t see it happening tho

SpurPadre
08-25-2020, 10:50 PM
Bowen just playing to the media buzz. It's BS. Pop is staying put or will retire.

RC_Drunkford
08-25-2020, 11:22 PM
Pop is not going to say he loves a kid and call them family and just leave. This would be out of character for him and against everything he stands for.

exactly. He's not leaving Bryn

ducks
08-25-2020, 11:54 PM
I’d be happy for Pop if he chose to join the nets, get one last huge pay day. Can’t see it happening tho

Yeah the million he got from his property is nothing
He gives no money to any causes and he kisses china feet

He is just one rich white privileged dude he says how bad they are

BackHome
08-26-2020, 12:35 AM
Ok for shits and giggles if Pop wanted to go what would the Nets have to give us regarding draft picks? Also what years could we get the draft picks?

mo7888
08-26-2020, 07:45 AM
Ok for shits and giggles if Pop wanted to go what would the Nets have to give us regarding draft picks? Also what years could we get the draft picks?

A 1st...maybe two 1st's

pookenstein
08-26-2020, 07:54 AM
Imagine if he leaves and the last thing he does as a Spur is talking RC into giving Forbes a 4y/50M contract...

weebo
08-26-2020, 07:59 AM
No reason for Pop to do it...nothing for him to gain and everything to lose. Plus, he's a year or two from calling it quits...it takes at the very least a year to get his system in place...

Trill Clinton
08-26-2020, 07:59 AM
The GOAT coach deserves to be coaching teams with serious finals potential. He doesn't owe SA anything tbh. I hope he leaves and wins a ring or two in NJ before calling it quits.

mo7888
08-26-2020, 08:00 AM
No reason for Pop to do it...nothing for him to gain and everything to lose. Plus, he's a year or two from calling it quits...it takes at the very least a year to get his system in place...

if hes two years from retirement (which I agree with about) that jn itself is incentive to go. He is not going to win a championship here in the next two years... He's got a chance to do that with KD in the east.

KobesAchilles
08-26-2020, 08:17 AM
if hes two years from retirement (which I agree with about) that jn itself is incentive to go. He is not going to win a championship here in the next two years... He's got a chance to do that with KD in the east.
I just don’t see the Nets being actual contenders. First off it would be a miracle is Kyrie played the whole season or lasted til the playoffs. But mainly bc of KD. I don’t see him returning to form. That’s the type of injury a player never recovers from fully. Kobe didn’t. Rudy again didn’t. Even that former Blazer player (forgot his name) where all he was asked to do was hit open 3s wasn’t able to do it. KD is going to miss 25 games minimum next year and I don’t see him playing anymore than 25 minutes a game anyways

Twisted_Dawg
08-26-2020, 08:37 AM
Imagine if he leaves and the last thing he does as a Spur is talking RC into giving Forbes a 4y/50M contract...

And also gets RC to agree to two 2nd round picks as compensation.

weebo
08-26-2020, 08:49 AM

Pop is 71 years old...his legacy is cemented...why go to a new franchise and start all over with everything to lose and nothing to gain. Winning a championship with the Nets won't mean much if you already have 5....at this point I think Pop is just playing out his coaching career with the Spurs...probably just wants to build a solid team for the next coach..after the Olympics pretty sure he'll call it quits.

mo7888
08-26-2020, 09:04 AM
Pop is 71 years old...his legacy is cemented...why go to a new franchise and start all over with everything to lose and nothing to gain. Winning a championship with the Nets won't mean much if you already have 5....at this point I think Pop is just playing out his coaching career with the Spurs...probably just wants to build a solid team for the next coach..after the Olympics pretty sure he'll call it quits.

Maybe...but i don't think he has anything to lose...his legacy is secure...he can only add to it and winning without Duncan would do that.... there's no downside for him....Basically it's just where ever he wants to be..

lefty
08-26-2020, 09:06 AM
lol imagine Larry Brown in today's NBA

look_at_g_shred
08-26-2020, 09:08 AM
Could we send DDR back for N:lolck N:lolrse

KobesAchilles
08-26-2020, 09:15 AM
lol imagine Larry Brown in today's NBA
I think he would work with a young team. The vets would tune him out but nobody here gives a f about Demar or LMA whining.

weebo
08-26-2020, 09:38 AM
Maybe...but i don't think he has anything to lose...his legacy is secure...he can only add to it and winning without Duncan would do that.... there's no downside for him....Basically it's just where ever he wants to be..

Actually, I think he has a lot to lose...let's say he goes to NJ and falls flat on his face...definitely lose some of that shine he has now with the Spurs...plus he's 71 years old...on the Spurs when you have new personnel coming in, you come with the idea of you having to fit in...this is Pop's house...not so with the Nets.. I agree a younger Pop might consider it but at his age it won't happen.

mo7888
08-26-2020, 09:52 AM
Actually, I think he has a lot to lose...let's say he goes to NJ and falls flat on his face...definitely lose some of that shine he has now with the Spurs...plus he's 71 years old...on the Spurs when you have new personnel coming in, you come with the idea of you having to fit in...this is Pop's house...not so with the Nets.. I agree a younger Pop might consider it but at his age it won't happen.

Could be....we'll know shortly

For the record, I think its a good move for him but I don’t think he goes. I think he's got to much power and is content where he is.

Brazil
08-26-2020, 09:59 AM
:lol I don't see it at all.. would not be the first time I'm wrong tho

dbreiden83080
08-26-2020, 02:02 PM
I won't hold anything against Pop if he goes. It does NOT change his legacy, or all the incredible things he's done in SA.. If he thinks he is coaching maybe 3 or 4 more years, and has a shot to win more rings, I get it.. But that job only looks great on paper.. KD coming off a huge injury, and Kyrie is an injury prone Jag-Off..

gambit1990
08-26-2020, 02:11 PM
I just don’t see the Nets being actual contenders. First off it would be a miracle is Kyrie played the whole season or lasted til the playoffs. But mainly bc of KD. I don’t see him returning to form. That’s the type of injury a player never recovers from fully. Kobe didn’t. Rudy again didn’t. Even that former Blazer player (forgot his name) where all he was asked to do was hit open 3s wasn’t able to do it. KD is going to miss 25 games minimum next year and I don’t see him playing anymore than 25 minutes a game anyways
it really comes down to the coach.

the nets have solid, young players. someone has to get kd and cryrie’s egos to gel with the rest of the team.

dbreiden83080
08-26-2020, 03:07 PM

I agree.. They will be all the hype before the season. KD coming back, so many will pick them to win the East.. If Pop were to make this move they would be the popular pick for nearly every so called analyst. But KD would need to be 100% KD, and Kyrie would have to stay healthy, and stop acting like a little bitch.. Unlikely..

paperboy77
08-26-2020, 10:13 PM

:lmao

Fireball
08-27-2020, 02:38 AM
Pop should retire ... he is old ... he looks old ... he should enjoy life. I want Becky and TD coaching the Spurs!

szkorhetz
08-27-2020, 03:00 AM
Pop should retire ... he is old ... he looks old ... he should enjoy life. I want Becky and TD coaching the Spurs!

I am like 99% sure, TD won't be back next year.

cd021
08-27-2020, 03:47 AM
A 1st...maybe two 1st's

One lottery protected 1st seems likely, two 1st's could be possible.

It probably wouldn't be this year's pick, but possibly their 2021 and 2023 pick.

tbdog
08-27-2020, 06:01 AM
Pop is president of basketball operations. Why would he trade himself to another team and make them worse by losing picks ?

exstatic
08-27-2020, 08:09 AM

Larry Brown, in addition to being an outstanding Xs and Os coach, is a world class diva. The most Larry Brown story ever is that he quit his very first coaching job after a few weeks, because they wouldn’t re-carpet his office, he also never stays anywhere very long. If Pop leaves, I want a replacement who can set up a new program, and coach here for at least a decade. That ain’t Larry Brown. One, he’s a diva. Two, he’s older than Pop.

cd98
08-27-2020, 08:45 AM
Pop probably prefers to got to the Nets to get a bigger microphone to talk about his pet issues.

Seventyniner
08-27-2020, 09:29 AM
Larry Brown, in addition to being an outstanding Xs and Os coach, is a world class diva. The most Larry Brown story ever is that he quit his very first coaching job after a few weeks, because they wouldn’t re-carpet his office, he also never stays anywhere very long. If Pop leaves, I want a replacement who can set up a new program, and coach here for at least a decade. That ain’t Larry Brown. One, he’s a diva. Two, he’s older than Pop.

Same here. A Mike Tomlin to Pop's Bill Cowher.

pad300
08-27-2020, 10:01 AM
One lottery protected 1st seems likely, two 1st's could be possible.

It probably wouldn't be this year's pick, but possibly their 2021 and 2023 pick.

I'm sure that the nets would rather give up their pick in the 2020 draft, rather than the 2021... The quality of the 2021 draft is expected to be so much better.

Kurgan
08-27-2020, 10:42 AM
Budenholzer was the ideal Pop replacement. He passed up coaching jobs just to stay with the Spurs longer than he should have. Spurs screwed up by not sending Pop to the glue factory much earlier when Bud was available after his stint in Atlanta.

cd021
08-27-2020, 10:44 AM
I'm sure that the nets would rather give up their pick in the 2020 draft, rather than the 2021... The quality of the 2021 draft is expected to be so much better.

Its hard to say, with the uncertain NBA date, to know whether this Pop situation- if its fair to call it that- will resolve itself before the draft. The 19th pick would obviously be nice to have, but the 2021 and 2023 picks might be more likely.

I'm sure the Nets would like to hold onto that pick too and be more willing to move future picks and I'm not sure that they'd be thinking about the quality of those future drafts when making that decision. Bird in the hand, and all that. Spurs might also prefer the future picks too.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-27-2020, 11:52 AM
Isn't Pop already the league's highest paid coach??

I can't see him going to New Jersey. It would be a Phil Jackson-esque move, and I don't put Pop in that category of person. I think what he created in San Antonio is all Pop, the legacy and the imprint he's made on this league all runs through San Antonio. He's certainly not someone who I could pretend to know what makes him tick, but he seems too sincere and genuine to leave what he's created. My guess is that he's going to see this thing through to an uptick in the rebuild and then retire. A couple more years perhaps.

MultiTroll
08-27-2020, 01:13 PM
Pop is president of basketball operations. Why would he trade himself to another team and make them worse by losing picks ?
Bryn says hello.
Not defending the trey when up 2 with under 10 seconds says hello.
Bryn n Patty as a perimeter defending duo says hello.
Patty is an NBA team leader but Kwa is not.' says hello.

We could go on.

But ya, this is just journalist going for hits.
He's not leaving. And no one in the Spurs org is taking away Grandpas driving.

bigfan
08-27-2020, 05:29 PM
When Pop leaves the Spurs he will be headed to a northern California vineyard.

montgod
08-30-2020, 12:26 PM
Nahh... Pop ain't going anywhere unless he is retiring. He is in that golden age where (local/team) people and the relationships he has with them are more valuable to him than money, especially with the unfortunate passing of his wife. And the biggest proponent of him staying would be Tim Duncan still being around - he definitely wouldn't leave if Tim is going to stay on as coach.

BackHome
08-30-2020, 03:37 PM

Nets are in win now mode they got a window of about 3 to 4 years they need to add veterans if they want a chance at winning a title late draft picks are not going to help them.

itzsoweezee
08-30-2020, 04:04 PM
Told you so. He's gone. The spurs better get some picks back in return