PDA

View Full Version : State Job Termination Regulations?

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Am I correct in that Texas is an "at-will employment" state?

What are the rules behind that? I can't find much on the TWC's Web site.

easjer
11-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Dunno - I know here (University of Houston) it's practically impossible to get fired. But I don't know if that is a result of staff legislation or state legislation.

Michael
11-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Texas is an "at-will employment" state. I'm not sure about all the rules concerning it. I'm more familiar how it relates to non-competition covenants. Essentially for an at-will employee the contract may not specify the length of employment and time of termination. If the contract specified length of employment for an at-will employee then it is an illusory (i.e. false) contract, which is unenforceable.

SA210
11-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Texas is an "at will" employment state.

As my former employer told me, he could fire me for any reason and he could get away with it because in the state of Texas, we are employed at will.

The only problem is, he told me he didn't want or like mexicans running his businesses and always referred to employees as "wetbacks", so it didn't work in his case, because those comments are prohibited employment practices under Title VII of the Civil rights Act of 1964.

So, basically you can get fired for any reason or no reason at all; as long as it is not discrimination according to the Act.

Or unless there is a certain contract that states otherwise with your employment. I don't know All there is to know about it, I'm just speaking from my own experience.

Hope that helps.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-08-2005, 01:16 PM
It does. Thanks.