PDA

View Full Version : Best tortilla chips?

InRareForm
08-28-2020, 08:25 PM
What's your favorite place that makes tortilla chips?

InRareForm
08-28-2020, 09:49 PM
Tostitos regular imo

RD2191
08-28-2020, 09:55 PM
Santitas Sazonados

GAustex
08-28-2020, 10:39 PM
For some reason i recall really liking Chipotle chips-like they sprinkled crack on them

08-29-2020, 07:09 AM
Doritos obviously tbh

SnakeBoy
08-29-2020, 01:05 PM
Haven't been there in ages but Alamo Cafe had good chips. Their salsa sucked though so that made the good chips pointless.

DJR210
08-29-2020, 01:33 PM
The ones HEB makes in house are great.. really thin restaurant style, and they have em in different flavors too. Really good w/ a garlic lime guac

Neo.
08-29-2020, 03:15 PM
On The Border restaurant sucks

but the chips they sell at stores are great

also Julio's

Reck
08-29-2020, 03:24 PM
Tostitos Hint Of Lime

That was quick. RIP thread. :lol

I usually stay away from anything with corn in it but these are just too damn good.

baseline bum
08-29-2020, 03:35 PM
On The Border restaurant sucks

but the chips they sell at stores are great

also Julio's

The Julio's Freaking Hot Chips are great

DJR210
08-29-2020, 03:35 PM
Julio's are good too

DMC
08-29-2020, 03:55 PM
Papasitos chips are perhaps the best, their salsa not so much

Chucho
08-30-2020, 01:05 PM
As long as they aren't stale, over fried and/or over salted, it doesn't really matter to me. Its the salsa that matters.

baseline bum
08-30-2020, 01:15 PM
As long as they aren't stale, over fried and/or over salted, it doesn't really matter to me. Its the salsa that matters.

So what salsa then? I like making one with tomatillo, serrano, chicken stock, garlic, and onion, shit is great on chips or chorizo and egg, or shit anything practically. Though I also love making a salsa with arbol, pequin, and tomatillo too. Kind of prefer that one for tacos and not chips though.

Millennial_Messiah
08-30-2020, 05:00 PM
For some reason i recall really liking Chipotle chips-like they sprinkled crack on them

agreed, it sucks they didn't include those with the summer 2016 chiptopia thingy but you did get one free chips and guac a month along with the uber-cheap burrito bowls with extra tortillas... if you knew what to do. It was a once in a lifetime thingy.

Millennial_Messiah
08-30-2020, 05:01 PM
The ones HEB makes in house are great.. really thin restaurant style, and they have em in different flavors too. Really good w/ a garlic lime guac

I agree, HEB ones are the cheapest in the store and they're a lot better than most the name brands, especially Mission (those are the worst).

ChumpDumper
08-30-2020, 05:20 PM
Whatever's fresh and not salty is fine mostly. It's the stuff that goes on the chips that's supposed to impress.

Millennial_Messiah
08-30-2020, 05:53 PM
Whatever's fresh and not salty is fine mostly. It's the stuff that goes on the chips that's supposed to impress.

disagreed here. The chip makes the nacho/quesadilla/whatever... the bread makes the sandwich, the pita/naan flatbread makes the gyro/falafel, etc... the pie crust makes the pie, the cake mix makes the cake.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
08-30-2020, 06:24 PM
the foreskin makes the penis

oh wait, wrong thread nvm

RD2191
08-30-2020, 09:44 PM
the foreskin makes the penis

oh wait, wrong thread nvm
:rollin

Dirks_Finale
08-31-2020, 12:31 AM
Paquis are pretty good with a nice variety.

Spurtacular
08-31-2020, 07:19 AM
Restaurant chips are the best, tbh.

SpursforSix
08-31-2020, 09:27 AM
Paquis are pretty good with a nice variety.

yeah...if you're just grabbing a bag of chips and aren't dipping them in something, Paquis have a good variety with good flavor.

KobesAchilles
08-31-2020, 07:07 PM
Haven't been there in ages but Alamo Cafe had good chips. Their salsa sucked though so that made the good chips pointless.
They have the best cheese though. That’s what I dip their chips in. Also love their tortillas

Millennial_Messiah
08-31-2020, 07:52 PM
Restaurant chips are the best, tbh.

what restaurant?

Spurtacular
08-31-2020, 07:54 PM
what restaurant?

Just in general. They are made fresh and typically less dry.

Millennial_Messiah
08-31-2020, 09:00 PM
Just in general. They are made fresh and typically less dry.

i'm sure your average Minnesota "mexican" restaurant would just use store bought trash. The fake "mexican" food I had in Louisville Kentucky tasted like fucking chef boyardee ravioli in a slightly different shape (I ordered the beef enchiladas). Note to self, never ever get "mexican" food in a state that doesn't actually border Mexico.

SpursforSix
09-01-2020, 12:21 PM
i'm sure your average Minnesota "mexican" restaurant would just use store bought trash. The fake "mexican" food I had in Louisville Kentucky tasted like fucking chef boyardee ravioli in a slightly different shape (I ordered the beef enchiladas). Note to self, never ever get "mexican" food in a state that doesn't actually border Mexico.

You're probably full of shit. Mexicans move all over the place. I've had great Mexican food in Colorado, Louisiana, and Arkansas. In fact, if you go to a reasonably successful Mexican restaurant somewhere, they should be pretty good.

And Oklahoma

Millennial_Messiah
09-01-2020, 03:39 PM
You're probably full of shit. Mexicans move all over the place. I've had great Mexican food in Colorado, Louisiana, and Arkansas. In fact, if you go to a reasonably successful Mexican restaurant somewhere, they should be pretty good.

And Oklahoma

I can see Colorado for sure because of the influx, and possibly OKC because of the proximity, but... the Deep South? I doubt it. More French speakers than Spanish speakers in Louisiana.

All I'm saying is the Mexican food experiences I've had in the Midwest over the course of my life have been downright bad. (Nebraska, Louisville, Cincinnati, Buffalo)

The place I was referring to in Louisville was called "El Nopal"... it was within a Ramada in north Louisville near the river. If you're ever in Louisville and feel like coughing up $14 on canned garbage, go for it and see what I mean.

SpursforSix
09-01-2020, 04:44 PM
I can see Colorado for sure because of the influx, and possibly OKC because of the proximity, but... the Deep South? I doubt it. More French speakers than Spanish speakers in Louisiana.

All I'm saying is the Mexican food experiences I've had in the Midwest over the course of my life have been downright bad. (Nebraska, Louisville, Cincinnati, Buffalo)

The place I was referring to in Louisville was called "El Nopal"... it was within a Ramada in north Louisville near the river. If you're ever in Louisville and feel like coughing up $14 on canned garbage, go for it and see what I mean.

If I want to spend $14 on garbage, I can just fuck your mom 28 times.

Millennial_Messiah
09-01-2020, 04:52 PM
If I want to spend $14 on garbage, I can just fuck your mom 28 times.

Lol. Implying you're a john at a prostitute shop.

#MiddleSchoolMentality

ChumpDumper
09-01-2020, 04:54 PM
Lol. Implying you're a john at a prostitute shop.

#MiddleSchoolMentalityYou think you buy them at shops?

Chucho
09-01-2020, 04:58 PM
So what salsa then? I like making one with tomatillo, serrano, chicken stock, garlic, and onion, shit is great on chips or chorizo and egg, or shit anything practically. Though I also love making a salsa with arbol, pequin, and tomatillo too. Kind of prefer that one for tacos and not chips though.

Yeah, I like green salsas more than red. And pretty similar recipe too, sometimes I will switch out the pepper depending on what I'm making, like if I want a green chile on a burger, I will do anaheim peppers with a small serrano or jalapeno for some heat.

Like most, I like a good guacamole to go with muh chips, but sometimes I might be low an avacado or two, so a goo green salsa base is really easy to throw an avacado into for an avacado salsa.

Chucho
09-01-2020, 05:09 PM
You think you buy them at shops?

I chuckled knowing he's googling "what do you call a prostitute shop?".

Millennial_Messiah
09-01-2020, 05:12 PM
You think you buy them at shops?

I don't know. I've never paid for sex.

ChumpDumper
09-01-2020, 05:15 PM
I don't know. I've never paid for sex.It's not required.

SpursforSix
09-01-2020, 10:27 PM
I don't know. I've never paid for sex.

Me neither. The sex with your mom is free. The $0.50 is for a plastic sack.

IronMexican
09-02-2020, 12:21 AM
The Pueblo Lindo brand at Aldi is really good. Some items there suck and some fucking slap

Spurtacular
09-04-2020, 08:54 PM

I'm in CA and not MN right now. Fifteen years ago, you're probably right. But the popularization of Mexican food as well as the spread of migrants is likely improving the quality in various states. It wouldn't surprise me to find a few good Mexican restaurants in the Twin Cities. I don't recall any good Mexican restaurants when I was in MN; though there were some okay street vendors.

clambake
09-05-2020, 01:50 AM
I'm in CA and not MN right now. Fifteen years ago, you're probably right. But the popularization of Mexican food as well as the spread of migrants is likely improving the quality in various states. It wouldn't surprise me to find a few good Mexican restaurants in the Twin Cities. I don't recall any good Mexican restaurants when I was in MN; though there were some okay street vendors.
Check out this post from derp

Millennial_Messiah
09-05-2020, 08:50 AM
Plenty of Mexican food to be had in CA, but you have to go to the central valley (highway 99) to get the good, authentic, (not ironically) cheap stuff like you'd find in San Antonio.

Spurtacular
09-05-2020, 09:04 AM
Check out this post from derp

You are a very emotionally unadvanced person, dude. It's pretty sad to behold.

Spurtacular
09-05-2020, 09:09 AM
Plenty of Mexican food to be had in CA, but you have to go to the central valley (highway 99) to get the good, authentic, (not ironically) cheap stuff like you'd find in San Antonio.

There's some hole in the wall places here that are marginally better than the chain restaurants. Maybe I haven't had the best of the best, but there tends to be a ceiling for me for Mexican food. It's not like BBQ where you have it and it's pretty dang good but then you go to some hole in the wall place and it's totally next level.

tlongII
09-05-2020, 11:31 AM
Chili’s used to have great chips but I haven’t been to one in over 10 years.

Spurtacular
09-05-2020, 04:14 PM
Chili’s used to have great chips but I haven’t been to one in over 10 years.

I went to Chilli's for the first time in about that long the other day.
But I didn't have any chips to say. Don't think I've ever had chips at Chilli's for that matter tbh.

Millennial_Messiah
09-05-2020, 04:39 PM
There's some hole in the wall places here that are marginally better than the chain restaurants. Maybe I haven't had the best of the best, but there tends to be a ceiling for me for Mexican food. It's not like BBQ where you have it and it's pretty dang good but then you go to some hole in the wall place and it's totally next level.

That's exactly what I was talking about.

You pay roughly half the price for fresher, less industrialized/institutionalized food, made by real cooks instead of prepared in factories and warmed up by lame chain restaurant line "cooks". And you're supporting small business instead of corporatocracy. Who cares if there's a few cobwebs in the ceiling corner and mold or mildew near the corners of the lower part of the walls? If the food is twice as good for half the price, you're getting a great deal IMO.

tlongII
09-05-2020, 05:59 PM
I went to Chilli's for the first time in about that long the other day.
But I didn't have any chips to say. Don't think I've ever had chips at Chilli's for that matter tbh.

They made them fresh every day here. Very good.

DMC
09-05-2020, 06:06 PM
Chili's could be the shittiest chain restaurant not named Denny's in the US.

baseline bum
09-05-2020, 06:50 PM

Not as long as Applebees is in existence

Millennial_Messiah
09-05-2020, 06:53 PM
Not as long as Applebees is in existence
Agreed on that one

Applebees and TGI Fridays are the worst of their genre

Spurtacular
09-05-2020, 07:55 PM

They got rid of the chicken fried steak.

Spurtacular
09-05-2020, 07:56 PM
Agreed on that one

Applebees and TGI Fridays are the worst of their genre

I thought I saw TGI Friday's were going out of business. Maybe that wasn't all the chains though.

Spurtacular
09-05-2020, 07:57 PM
That's exactly what I was talking about.

You pay roughly half the price for fresher, less industrialized/institutionalized food, made by real cooks instead of prepared in factories and warmed up by lame chain restaurant line "cooks". And you're supporting small business instead of corporatocracy. Who cares if there's a few cobwebs in the ceiling corner and mold or mildew near the corners of the lower part of the walls? If the food is twice as good for half the price, you're getting a great deal IMO.

I think the hole in the wall place is a dying breed though. Gentrification's a bitch.

Spurtacular
09-05-2020, 07:58 PM
They made them fresh every day here. Very good.

Fresher's better. I must've had the chips at Chilli's at some point. It's just pretty hazy in my mind unfortunately.

Chucho
09-05-2020, 08:17 PM

What the hell are you talking about.

California Mexican food is basically street tacos and super burritos.

Just stop, please

Spurtacular
09-06-2020, 02:41 PM
What the hell are you talking about.

California Mexican food is basically street tacos and super burritos.

Just stop, please

As opposed to what? Not busting your balls here. What do you consider authentic Mexican food?