Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 11:27 AM
Ford: The Great Clippers Exodus

By Chad Ford
NBA Insider
Send an Email to Chad Ford &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Monday, July 14
Updated: July 14
10:06 AM ET

Two weeks ago, we wrote that Clippers owner Donald Sterling would be the real power broker this summer. With five prominent free agents up for bid, four of them restricted, the rest of the league huddled in war rooms wondering the same things -- will the Clips match?

For the past two weeks, the Clippers have told every NBA team flirting with Elton Brand, Corey Maggette or Lamar Odom that they will, indeed, match any offer. They've also been beating the war drums of late that they'll hold onto Andre Miller, even with young point guards Marko Jaric and Keyon Dooling in place. And as for Michael Olowokandi, the team's only unrestricted free agent, they may hold the cards to his future as well -- via sign-and-trade.

Now, with the signing period just two days away, several owners are ready to call Sterling's bluff.

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
Corey Maggette
Guard-Forward
Los Angeles Clippers
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
2002-2003 SEASON STATISTICS
GM&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp PPG&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp RPG&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp APG&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp FG%&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp FT%
64&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 16.8&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 5.0&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 1.9&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp .444&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp .802

Over the weekend, Miller and Maggette both received offers from both the Nuggets and Jazz. But in a bizarre twist, Miller is set to sign a six-year, $55 million offer sheet with Denver, and Maggette is ready to sign a six-year deal with the Jazz for something above the $42 million the Nuggets offered him on Friday.

Huh? Wasn't Utah the No. 1 team on Miller's list? And didn't Maggette claim the Nuggets were his top choice?

Here's how things went down this weekend:

On Friday, the Nuggets put a six-year, $42 million offer on the table for Maggette, two league sources told Insider. Both sources, who were familiar with Maggette's thinking, expected his to agree to Denver's offer sheet for three big reasons: 1) The Nuggets were offering more money than any other team; 2) Maggette preferred playing for Denver over the Jazz; and 3) he told them he would.

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
Andre Miller
Point Guard
Los Angeles Clippers
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
GM&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp PPG&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp RPG&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp APG&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp FG%&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp FT%
80&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 13.6&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 4.0&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 6.7&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp .406&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp .795

Visits to both teams had gone well, but Maggette felt more comfortable with his role on the team and the talent that would surround him in Denver -- there was a clear opening at shooting guard, and he'd get to play with Carmelo Anthony and either Miller or Gilbert Arenas.

However, things began to change on Saturday, after Miller decided to commit to the Nuggets, as well.

The writing was on the wall on Friday, one source within the Jazz told Insider. During a meeting with Jazz owner Larry Miller on Thursday, Andre Miller's agent, Lon Babby, repeatedly voiced concerns about his client having to fill the shoes of John Stockton. Babby was afraid that, with Stockton and Karl Malone both gone, the Jazz would inevitably lose a step or two this season. After the nightmare season Andre Miller endured in L.A., Babby didn't want his client to take the brunt of the criticism if the Jazz missed the playoffs for the first time in two decades.

The money between the two clubs was the same, and ultimately the point guard felt Denver might be a better situation for him. When he reportedly committed to the Nuggets on Saturday, the Jazz were stunned. Owner Miller, along with many in the organization, felt ultimately the Clippers' guard would choose Utah over Denver.

When he didn't, according to several sources, the Jazz went into damage-control mode, offering Maggette a deal on Saturday that trumped the money in the Nuggets' offer. Maggette's agent, Rob Pelinka, told the Rocky Mountain News on Sunday evening that Maggette would accept the Jazz's offer.

Maggette, however, still seemed on the fence. He also spoke with the Rocky Mountain News on Sunday and confirmed Insider's report on Friday that he had, indeed, received an offer from the Nuggets. As to which one he'll actually sign, he wouldn't commit.

"I'll know that probably Wednesday," Maggette said. "As of now, nothing is finalized. ... Denver is a really nice place, and I'd love to play there, but I'm keeping my options open until Wednesday."

However, as of Sunday night, it appeared unlikely the Nuggets would be able to match Utah's offer. Denver had thought it would be able to sign Maggette, a point guard such as Miller or Gilbert Arenas, and Olowokandi, who is scheduled to meet with Nuggets owner Stan Kronke today. Olowokandi is expecting an offer.

"I would think there would be an offer if I'm meeting with the owner," said Olowokandi, who has indicated the Nuggets are at the top of his list. "I would be surprised if there isn't an offer."

Their thinking was that if they paid Miller a starting salary of $7 million a season and Maggette a starting salary of $5.5 a season, they would have had been able to offer Olowokandi a deal starting at $6 million a season (assuming a $42 million salary cap). However, with the Jazz upping the ante for Maggette, the Nuggets likely will have to choose whether to remain in the bidding for him or give up and focus only on Olowokandi.

If the Nuggets don't come through, the Grizzlies reportedly are ready to work out a sign-and-trade that would bring Olowokandi to Memphis in return for Wesley Person (in the last year of his deal) and a future first-round pick.

And let's not forget about Brand. The Jazz have told him they'll give him a six-year max deal if he wants it. But the Spurs spent a big chunk of the weekend negotiating with Brand's agent, David Falk, about a deal that would bring Brand to San Antonio.

All of the weekend wrangling will leave Sterling & Co. with some tough decisions. Miller, Maggette and Brand can't sign until Wednesday, at which point Clippers will have 15 days to match.

No one knows what they'll do. But because of minimum payroll requirements, they have to spend at least $31.5 million on players' salaries (assuming that the salary cap is set at $42 million). Right now, L.A. has only six players under contract and $11.7 million in committed salaries. They're going to have to make up the additional $20 million somehow. Even if the team paid Brand's maximum salary, it would still have roughly $10 million in cap space to fill.

That's why many believe that, ultimately, the team will match any offer Brand, Maggette or Odom. Under the rules, they have to pay someone.

Odom, who appears unlikely to get an offer worth signing, likely will accept the Clippers' $4.7 million one-year qualifying offer rather than risk the team matching a longer-term offer sheet from another club.

It also explains why Maggette had to stiff-arm his first choice, the Nuggets, for his second choice, the Jazz. There was a strong likelihood that the Clippers would've matched a Maggette offer that started at $5.5 million a season. Maggette is hoping the extra money the Jazz are offering will be enough to scare L.A. away. Even at the bigger number, though, the Clips still might match.

The mandatory minimum payroll also why a sign-and-trade with the Grizzlies makes some sense. If they have to spend money anyway, shipping Olowokandi to the Grizzlies and taking back a one-year deal worth $7.7 million (Wesley Person) helps them get to the minimum salary without making a long-term commitment.

But let's not get too carried away. If Brand, Miller, Maggette are all matched, Sterling would be committing $180 million in guaranteed money to three players. Regardless of minimum payrolls and lots of chest thumping out in L.A., we'll believe that when we see it.

Around the league
*&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Sources inside the Jazz, Heat and Nuggets all feel that restricted free agent Gilbert Arenas is returning to the Warriors. His agent, Dan Fegan, hasn't moved off of his $9 million a year demands. All three teams still have interest, but not at that price.

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
Gilbert Arenas
Point Guard
Golden State Warriors
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
82&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 18.3&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 4.7&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 6.3&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp .431&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp .791

However, there may be one dark-horse out there worth watching. Arenas really wants to play in L.A. His first choice was the Lakers. But now that they've locked up Gary Payton, he actually wouldn't mind playing for the Clippers -- especially if they lock up one or two of their free agents. And, according to sources, he might be willing to come off his exorbitant contract demands to do it.

Would the Clippers bite?

*&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp The Spurs are still stuck in limbo waiting on another high-profile free agent. The team has spent hours trying to figure out how to lure Elton Brand to San Antonio without the Clippers matching, but it won't be easy.

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
Elton Brand
Power Forward
Los Angeles Clippers
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
62&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 18.5&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 11.3&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 2.5&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp .502&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp .685

Several sources inside the Spurs feel strongly that the Clippers will match any offer. They've played with creative contracts that would discourage L.A. from matching -- but right now nothing seems to have clicked.

The Spurs ultimately may just have to take a pass on Brand. They've already been burned once this summer. While the team flirted with Jason Kidd, it lost out on the chance to sign P.J. Brown. After Kidd told the Spurs he was staying in New Jersey, they quickly tried to piece together a deal for Brown. But by the time they got it to him on Friday, it was too late. Brown had spent several days talking with the Hornets and had basically agreed to re-sign with them by the time the Spurs came up with their offer.

The Spurs also risk losing Rasho Nesterovic. As Insider first reported last week, the team is high on him, and Nesterovic would prefer to play in San Antonio, all things being equal. The T-Wolves have already made him a big-time offer, and he probably would be unwilling to wait the 15 days it would take to see if the Clips matched the offer for Brand.

Right now it doesn't appear the Spurs will take that risk.Nesterovic's agent, Bill Duffy, said that his client likely will make his decision on Tuesday.

*&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Juwan Howard's decision to sign a five-year, $28 million deal with the Magic will leave the Pistons and the T-Wolves scrambling.

The T-Wolves are in the worst shape. There's a good chance they could lose Nesterovic to the Spurs. Without Howard, the team could actually be worse off than it was last season -- that can't be what vice president Kevin McHale envisioned when he said the team was going to be aggressive this summer.

With all of the top players off the board, their best shot at a tough, low-post player may be free agent Tyrone Hill.

The Pistons didn't really need Howard, but he was a nice saftey blanket. Don't be shocked if, with the Pistons' three favorite guys off the board -- Howard, Alonzo Mourning and Brown -- if Joe Dumars pursues a couple of Larry Brown favorites -- Speedy Claxton and/or Derrick Coleman.

:cooldevil

scott
07-14-2003, 11:35 AM
Well ****... at least we are trying. Maybe we can get extra creative in the next day or two.

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 11:38 AM
Indeed.

It's nice to know that all hands are on deck to get Brand, although the outlook is bleak.

When you read this article, it should become apparent that unless a miracle to get Brand is made, there won't be anyone left to get.

Hurray for the Holt-ing Pattern!

MannyIsGod
07-14-2003, 11:43 AM
You know, it woudlnt' piss me off so much if I knew the bastard was going to try to put together a team that would compete, but all he's doing is meeting the minimum fuckign payroll.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 11:46 AM
The only way they get Brand is to give up Parker. Better move might just be to sign Nesterovic and tender a serious offer to Odom or Arenas. Then the Spurs get a nice young perimeter talent with at least all-star potential and a big. If they make an offer to Odom they can investigate potential trades while waiting for Sterling to pass.

scott
07-14-2003, 11:49 AM
I'm starting to warm up that idea, MB.

After all, the Lakers managed to put together 3 straight titles with only one (albeit extremely dominant) bigman. We aren't that much different in that respect.

If we could add the kind of talent that COULD become a Kobe-like scorer (much like the Magic did with TMac), we'd be in better shape than the 2000-2002 Lakers, because our supporting cast would be significantly better than theirs would.

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 11:50 AM
On the one hand, you'll forsake Brand to sign Nesterovic and on the other you puke at the thought of Olowokandi.

Mesmerizing.

MannyIsGod
07-14-2003, 11:51 AM
Dude, all i know, is that if sterling wants parker for brand, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

And if we can't resign speedy, I start manu at the one and let Kerr back him up.

IN A HEARTBEAT.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 11:54 AM
The best approach now is to get the best talent available. Brand is a great talent but his situation seems hopeless. If, for example, Brand was willing to sign a max offer with the Spurs and the Spurs could get Arenas with the remainder then I would recommend that. Should the Clippers match then the Spurs could look at either adding a stopgap big via free agency or through a trade. Let's not forget that Speedy is out there and the Wiz did offer Haywood last season for him. If Washington wants to use their mid-level exception for someone other than Speedy perhaps the Spurs could go that route. The key is to come out of this summer with some talent...other than that named "Tim Duncan" of course.

scott
07-14-2003, 11:57 AM
Making offers to Brand and Arenas might be ideal. $6.3 sounds about right.

Next summer we could give Manu a one year MLE to earn his bird rights and give him a nicer payday the following year- right?

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 11:58 AM
Sterling is losing Andre Miller. While I'd laugh at you if you offered me Parker for Brand, Sterling might want to save money and get a promising young PG while he's at it. We'd have to throw in picks and money, too, of course. Maybe another.

Oh, wait. I forgot. We a;ready pursued a S&T with Sterling and he flatly refused.

MannyIsGod
07-14-2003, 11:58 AM
Well, it looks like Arenas won't budge from 9 per, which I dontk now if the spurs are willing to pay.

I'd pay arenas about 7-8, but he also wants to go to LA. So maybe he doesn't want to play in SA.

who knows.

scott
07-14-2003, 12:00 PM
Arenas WANTS to go to LA?

Well, maybe at this point in his career he is just a bling-bling chaser, and we'd be best off letting him waste away in Clipperland.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 12:01 PM
Sterling is losing Andre Miller. While I'd laugh at you if you offered me Parker for Brand

Now what exactly do you expect to get for an Elton Brand who's a restricted free agent?

Of course I've forgotten that you weren't in the Parker > Kidd camp, you were in the Whitney > Parker one.

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 12:05 PM
In an effort to antagonize me, you've misse dthe bottom line once again, MB.

If Sterling were interested in a S&T, our second-best player, picks and cash might get the deal done.

But so far, he's not.

Next.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 12:07 PM
I'm just exposing the flaw in your argument. For those not mired in your self-loathing Spurs fandom, Parker is on the upper end of the talent range as far as what a NBA GM could expect to get back in return for a RFA like Brand.

ducks
07-14-2003, 12:18 PM
But the Spurs spent a big chunk of the weekend negotiating with Brand's agent, David Falk, about a deal that would bring Brand to San Antonio:blah

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 12:19 PM
The flaw in your thesis is that Sterling is interested in a sign and trade.

It would take a lot more than Parker to get bRand, son. All-Star big men are valued much more highly than burgeoning PGs.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 12:33 PM
If the Spurs put Parker on the table you can be rest assured that Sterling will listen...and accept.

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 12:44 PM
If that's true, the Spurs and the Clippers would have a deal on the table right now, no?

Question

Spurs trade Parker and whatever to get Brand and then immediately re-sign Claxton who wants to start or go after Areans. Too simple. Too tidy. Too ballsy. Are the homers ready to part with parker yet?

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 12:51 PM
Maybe the Spurs don't want to deal Parker just yet. Of course that know-nothing front office thinks that Parker is better than Chris Whitney so WGAF?

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 12:59 PM
Oh, yeah. The Spurs are waiting to see who blinks forst with a team that already told them they won't pursue a sign and trade.

Whitney was putting up better numbers than Parker at the time the Spurs homers were christening him the next Gary Payton.

scott
07-14-2003, 01:08 PM
Several sources inside the Spurs feel strongly that the Clippers will match any offer. They've played with creative contracts that would discourage L.A. from matching -- but right now nothing seems to have clicked.

I'm curious what "creative" contracts the Spurs are attempting. You'd think the only offer to Brand would be a fairly straight forward Max 6 Year deal. The CBA prohibits making non-monetary offers that the original team would be unable to match- so what's left to offer?

Whottt
07-14-2003, 01:09 PM
Sterling doesn't have as much power in this as it seems. If Brand is hostile to the idea of staying in LA and Sterling wants to get anything of value for him he will almost have to do the S&T with the team of Brand's choice for what ever he can get.

If we sign Nesterovich to a longeterm dea and Brand accepts the 1 year qualifying offer to walk next season, this offseason will have been a colossal failure.

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 01:10 PM
Ford must be alluding to S&T options, no?
I don't understand the "creative" part either, scott. I thought it was pretty cut-and-dry.

Whottt
07-14-2003, 01:12 PM
What about a no trade clause?

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 01:12 PM
scott, it could be the payout to Brand in the event of a career-ending injury. Just a thought.

scott
07-14-2003, 01:17 PM
If it is a guaranteed contract, wouldn't Brand still collect his paychecks even if he got hurt in game 1 of the pre-season? But since Brand is only 24 maybe they would agreet to a pay-out to cover the rest of Brand's feasible career after this contract in the event of injury.

Interesting.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 01:19 PM
I believe the "guaranteed" adjective refers to the fact that the contract is guaranteed as long as the player can perform his duties. Payouts in the event of serious season- or career ending-injury are different, IIRC.

scott
07-14-2003, 01:22 PM
Gotcha.

But if Brand were to go down in year 1, we'd still be on the hook for 6 years when it comes to the salary cap (barring any exemptions granted by the league)- right?

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 01:27 PM
As far as I know that is correct, scott. I recall looking at that issue back when Elliott was injured but it's been a while and I'm too lazy to look at the CBA right now. Maybe the FAQ has something.

adidas11
07-14-2003, 01:36 PM
Another flaw in this Brand for Parker argument, is that people are assuming the Clips need/want a point guard since they are losing Miller. That is not necessarily the case. I think the Clips already have a young and promising foreign player (his name escapes me at the moment) who was the backup point guard last year. A major reason why they are willing to let Miller go is because they already have this point guard, and he has basically been set as the starting PG for next season.

Can anyone pull up his name? I don't have time right now, here at work.

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 01:37 PM
If his name escapes you at the moment, adidas, then chances are he's not as attractive as Parker. But to suggest Parker would get Brand on his own is absurd.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 01:39 PM
The Clippers don't seem to have a problem with duplicity in talent at any position. If they were offered Parker they'd take it, especially when the alternative is Brand walking away next summer with nothing in return.

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 01:43 PM
Who the fvck do you think the Spurs offered when they first apporaoched the Clips for a S&T and were denied, Marcus?

Question.

Whottt
07-14-2003, 01:46 PM
Adidas I think the PG you are thinking about is Marko Jaric, Manu's backcourt teamate from Kinder Bologna.

If Sterling wanted a PG he could just go out and sign Arenas and not have to give up Brand.

ChumpDumper
07-14-2003, 01:47 PM
Marko Jaric.

Ghost Writer
Oh yeah, since Sterling is all about the Benjamins, baby.

C'mon, Whott.

Marcus Bryant
Who the fvck do you think the Spurs offered when they first apporaoched the Clips for a S&T and were denied, Marcus?

Not Parker, genius.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-14-2003, 01:50 PM
Well things certainly are interesting.

I will say our off-season is an unmitigated failure if we don't get one of Brand, Odom, or Arenas to go with Nesterostiff.

AHF

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 01:55 PM
Then who, jack@ss. Who's left under contract?

Please don't tell me that the front office offered Rose & Bowen for Brand! :rollin

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 01:56 PM
Probably something along the lines of draft picks. Much like what you recommended last week.

Whottt
07-14-2003, 01:57 PM
Ghost, Sterling has to meet the minimum payrole...if he signs Arenas and keeps Odom.. Brand won't want to leave.

Sterling is gonna pay to keep Brand, the only way we can get Brand out of this deal, is if Brand wants out of LA.

Trust me, I have been following this for the entire year...I wasn't wasting time on the Kidd scenario.

Brand doesn't really want to leave LA, he just wants the Clips to keep talent around him, mainly Magette and Odom. Brand has said he will take less if Sterling tries to keep those guys. He also said he would take less last year if the Clips would sign Kandi...Kandi said he would take less last year as well, if moves were made to keep the Clips competitive.

The whole key to getting Brand out of LA is to make Brand want to leave LA for SA...if that can be done getting Brand is relatively easy IMO. We should have had Gervin, DROB, Jax and Duncan on Brand's doorstep back on July 1st.

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 02:00 PM
Whott, Sterling will make minimum payroll by re-signing Brand and Odom, which is why I don't think we'll get either despite the hallucinations of desperate men here.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 02:08 PM
Sterling's so worried about minimum payroll that he's going to take on $120 mil+ in long term obligations? Yeah right.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-14-2003, 02:09 PM
Sterling cares about minimum payroll.

He also cares about not being tied up for 150 million to 3 guys over the next 6-7 years.

AHF

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 02:09 PM
What do you think Sterling would have to pay Arenas then, Marcus?

You assume Brand and Odom would result in $120 million anyway. It could be less if no teams have the balls to offer both of them contracts.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 02:12 PM
You guys act like a long term contract is no big deal, especially to someone like Sterling. Now you suggest that he would just sign players to such deals just to meet minimum payroll for this upcoming season. Get real. Virtually all long term NBA contracts are guaranteed for a number of years, if not in their entirity.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-14-2003, 02:14 PM
What does it have to do with balls and offering contracts?

Teams can just whisper in the ear of their agents to sign one year QOs and they'll give them a call next July 1st, and it's all over.

AHF

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 02:15 PM
No.

We think he'll definitely match any offer for Brand and with all of his other free agents leaving, why wouldn't he keep his weed connect Odom?

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 02:17 PM
Oh so now suddenly Donald Sterling has changed the management philosophy for his club and will start taking on large long term contracts? Yeah right.

scott
07-14-2003, 02:19 PM
Maybe Jesus has told Donald to pay his FAs.

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 02:22 PM
Why don't you two convince the front office of what you're finally coming around to:

Offer Brand a contract.

scott
07-14-2003, 02:26 PM
Finally coming around to?

Hmmm... what was it that I said on July 1?

1) Inquire about a S&T for Brand (which we have done and been turned down).

2) Offer Elton Brand a contract if other top F&A options have been exhausted (which they have).

Thanks for participating, Ghost Writer.

Whottt
07-14-2003, 02:47 PM
Ghost...signing Odom and Brand does not necessarily mean he is carrying the mimimum payroll and Arenas may find the Clips appetizing compared to Denver...

This is a very black and white issue...

If Sterling does commit to signing key FA's Brand will stay. If he doesn't Brand will leave. Sterling either has to put up or shut up.

But make no mistake about it...Sterling is willing to pay the max to keep Brand..Sterling left that 6th year off just to see if Brand will take the bait if it is offered...he won't, money his not his absolute concern..Brand is a quality individual.

If Brand doesn't see a commitment to winning he is gonna walk.

The plot thickens with the hiring of the asskissing yesman Dunleavy, but hopefully Brand will see through the charade..because we all know Sterling isn't going to carry a big payroll..

If Sterling makes overtures towards fielding a winner..Brand will accept the Clippers offer, we have read he is considering it yes?..That is the only longterm offer he will be accepting this offseason.

Apart from Brand becoming disenfranchised and pressuring Sterling to trade him...

If Sterling drops the ball and loses Magette or fails to lock Odom up..Brand will walk..and our efforts should be concentrated on making him walk our way, even if it is next season.

bugramps
07-14-2003, 04:06 PM
Interesting little bit in a J.A. Adande column from the LA Times. It's not breaking news, but just a bit telling:

Did you notice that while the Lakers are clipping coupons and buying Hall of Famers on the discount rack, the Clippers laid out $65 million to restricted free agent Elton Brand, only to be told, "We'll get back to you."

Maybe the kid is trying to help the Spurs work something out so as not to get outbid or maybe a sign and trade. Who knows? I just thought it was interesting.

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 04:12 PM
Sorry, scott. As the annoting, unimaginative bastard child of MarcusBryatnt, I often blend you two together.

A week ago, I drew limited support for pursuing Brand at all costs.

scott
07-14-2003, 04:17 PM
Don't worry about it, Ghost Writer. As the top graduate from the T Park Typographical Institute, I often just laugh at you.

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 04:21 PM
Like I said, you are annoting. :lol

DuffMcCartney
07-14-2003, 04:39 PM
I think the being a restricted free agent is pretty fucked....the NBA needs to take that out of their CBA. Seriously. Not that but the thing where an player has to take what their team matches, its almost run like as if they could care less about where a player wants to play.

scott
07-14-2003, 04:43 PM
Or perhaps the NBA could adopt the NFL's RFA process in which it costs you a draft pick to sign another team's RFAs. When you sign another teams RFA, you send back a pick in the round that the player you are signing was originally drafted in.

The only problem with that is that the NBA draft isn't quite as significant as the NFL draft, where you can get 2-3 starters in just about any given year of the draft. That makes draft picks in the NFL much more valuable, making you think twice about signing an RFA.