PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk draft bargains / sleepers

ZeusWillJudge
08-31-2020, 01:35 PM
There is always lots of talk about what to do with the first round pick, and with the Spurs having their best pick since '95, it's being talked to death. But I am always thinking about the steals in the draft. Not finding another Klay Thompson at #11, but maybe another Danny Green at #46. Or another undrafted Fred Van Vleet.

So let's suppose the Spurs trade one of the youngs and get an early second round pick thrown in. (Say the Sixers' 34 or 36 pick just for laughs.) Who do you think might be lurking on the board that could help raise the Spurs floor? Who do you like with the Spurs 41 pick in the second round? How about guys who might go undrafted?

I'll start with a few:

1. Jordan Nwora. I liked Nwora during the college season. He was looking like a lock for a first round pick, but his stock dropped - I think too far. No matter what, he's still one hell of a 3P shooter, and he has the skills and height to get the off often enough at the next level. I think he's a better defender than he's gotten credit for. He's not going to drop out of the draft, but it looks like he will probably fall to the early-ish second. I'd take a shot on him at 36 or 41 without question.

2. Grant Riller. The Spurs need a point guard. No matter what anybody says, the Spurs need a point guard. Probably two point guards. If they aren't going to get a top-tier point with the 11 pick, they could still pick up a quality backup with the fantasy 34 pick above. I think that''s Riller. He'll be an offensive machine. And while he's not been a great defender, our benchmark there is Bryn Forbes. I'm convinced he'll go in the early second, maybe not making it down to the Spurs 41 pick, but if he's there I'd have to think about picking him. If a player from Dayton can be projected in the Top 5, there's no reason why a player from Charleston can't be worthy of an early second round pick.

3. Kenyon Martin Jr. Youth, talent, athleticism, and NBA genes. He's listed at 6'6", except when he's listed at 6'7". As young as he is, he could easily have another inch in him. He'll probably be there at 41 because he's such an unknown, but I would take a throw at him if he's still there - especially if they were able to get one of those earlier second-rounders. Or if they could pick up a later second round pick for cash like we've seen numerous times. He could go undrafted. If I were the Spurs I would have a contract ready and his number on speed dial if that happens.

4. Tre Jones. I love Tre Jones with a mid-second round pick. Did I mention that the Spurs need a PG? He's a good two-way player, though at 6'1" he's not going to defend three positions, but I think he'll do a creditable job with 1's and 2's. Some mocks have him going in the late first or early second, but if he's there at 41 he'd make a good addition to the Spurs Halloween bucket. Don't like Jones? Substitute the name Devon Dotson. And did I mention that the Spurs need a PG - even if it's a backup PG?

exstatic
08-31-2020, 02:12 PM
Paul Reed. TaT has him as #17 on their big board, but #42 in their mock. That’s almost a full draft round of missed value.

Chinook
08-31-2020, 02:13 PM
Paul Reed and Xavier Tillman. All day on those two for 41. I'd love to get a late first to snag one of them. They're both gamers who'd fill an obvious need.

Seventyniner
08-31-2020, 02:17 PM
Are there any teams with picks in the 30s that are likely willing to trade their pick? For a while those early 2nds were seen as gold because they didn't have to conform to the rookie draft scale, but I don't know how much that attitude has changed.

mo7888
08-31-2020, 02:29 PM
Paul Reed, Reggie Perry, and Robert Woodard (if he falls, I expect him to go late in the first). I do like Tre Jones as a high floor low ceiling guy to work with a second unit as well.

Robert Woodard is the one I want most though. Athletic, good 3pt%, can guard 4 positions and is already physically strong.

exstatic
08-31-2020, 02:30 PM
Are there any teams with picks in the 30s that are likely willing to trade their pick? For a while those early 2nds were seen as gold because they didn't have to conform to the rookie draft scale, but I don't know how much that attitude has changed.

Philly has 4 overall second rounders, and two in the 30s.

Dejounte
08-31-2020, 02:34 PM
Seeing as how this organization runs things like they're always broke as fuck, I won't be surprised if they invest more into their second rounders vs looking for a free agent to overpay. It's good value, especially if you think about the type of player Q is... Spends one year in the G league, then looks ready to contribute for next year and probably will be extended for pennies.

I think they go for another old rookie in the second round. Someone who plays like a vet.

Dejounte
08-31-2020, 02:38 PM
My guesses: Xavier Tillman, Tyler Bey, Paul Reed, Woodard II, Killian Tillie

exstatic
08-31-2020, 02:41 PM
Seeing as how this organization is broke as fuck, I won't be surprised if they invest more into their second rounders vs looking for a free agent to overpay. It's good value, especially if you think about the type of player Q is... Spends one year in the G league, then looks ready to contribute for next year and probably will be extended for pennies.

I think they go for another old rookie in the second round. Someone who plays like a vet.

We really need to. No point in signing someone to the MLE. They’ll likely be far older than our core in a year or so. That type of contract should be for a piece to push you deep into the playoffs. We’re not at the point where any player who is on the back side of their career and would take the MLE would give us a significant boost.

Dejounte
08-31-2020, 02:46 PM
We really need to. No point in signing someone to the MLE. They’ll likely be far older than our core in a year or so. That type of contract should be for a piece to push you deep into the playoffs. We’re not at the point where any player who is on the back side of their career and would take the MLE would give us a significant boost.

The problem is this team loves "vets who can mentor young players". If we trade any one or two of: DeMar, Gay, Aldridge, Mills. I can definitely see us signing a washed up player for their "veteran knowledge and professionalism".

pad300
08-31-2020, 03:29 PM
Abdoulaye N'doye could easily be as good a player as Devin Vassel. Killian Tillie would be a first rounder if hadn't had all the injuries.

Seventyniner
08-31-2020, 03:35 PM

Thanks. :bobo

Sure sounds like there's a deal to be had, even if it's something like #41 and a future second or cash for #34 and #49.

mo7888
08-31-2020, 04:02 PM
The problem is this team loves "vets who can mentor young players". If we trade any one or two of: DeMar, Gay, Aldridge, Mills. I can definitely see us signing a washed up player for their "veteran knowledge and professionalism".

Tyson Chandler to mentor Poeltl and be a veteran presence would be ok with me if we move lma. One year and cheap

spurspl
08-31-2020, 04:08 PM

same here but id add also: vernon, oturu and nwora.

Russ
08-31-2020, 04:11 PM
Another guy who might be worth a look in the 2d round is Cassius Stanley, a 6'5" shooting guard from Duke.

He's quite a leaper who shot .474, .360 from 3 and .733 from the line. He's great in transition (which may inflate his FG% somewhat) but looks like he also has potential from the outside. He also rebounds and defends pretty well for a player his size.

A leg injury hampered him somewhat his freshman year, but he still made the ACC All-Freshman Team. I'm not sure why he was a 21 year old freshman at Duke but that may be why he might be attainable at 41.

Of course, this doesn't exactly address a need, but if he's the best available. . . .

ZeusWillJudge
08-31-2020, 04:34 PM

The Sixers aren't going to keep 4 second round picks. They have 34 and 36, both of which have the possibility of snagging a sleeper that no one decided to give a guaranteed contract. They also have 49 and 58, but those aren't worth much other than tying a guy down who might go elsewhere as an undrafted free agent.

The Pelicans have 39, 43, and 60 and they are going to be shopping around.

D-Robinson 50 fan
08-31-2020, 07:48 PM
Deep 2nd round or undrafted players

University of Virginia (power forward) Mamadi Diakite
Height 6'9" Weight 225

https://www.thestepien.com/2020/04/27/mamadi-diakite-scouting-report/

Gonzaga University (Center/Power Forward) Killian Tillie
Height 6'10" Weight 220

https://www.thestepien.com/2020/03/30/killian-tillie-scouting-report/

Utah State University (shooting guard) Sam Merrill
Height 6'5" Weight 205

http://www.tankathon.com/players/sam-merrill

Washington State University (Shooting guard/Small Forward) C.J. Elleby
Height 6'7" Weight 200

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1962324

D-Robinson 50 fan
08-31-2020, 07:53 PM
Abdoulaye N'doye could easily be as good a player as Devin Vassel. Killian Tillie would be a first rounder if hadn't had all the injuries.

I like N'Doye and Tillie a lot also.

bad thing with Tillie is he's had a couple of injuries to his lower extremities already and his quickness isn't awful but not greatly the guy can play the game though.

N'Doye is a pretty versatile overall player. Can do a bunch of things ok but not great. Lol

D-Robinson 50 fan
08-31-2020, 07:54 PM
Another guy who might be worth a look in the 2d round is Cassius Stanley, a 6'5" shooting guard from Duke.

He's quite a leaper who shot .474, .360 from 3 and .733 from the line. He's great in transition (which may inflate his FG% somewhat) but looks like he also has potential from the outside. He also rebounds and defends pretty well for a player his size.

A leg injury hampered him somewhat his freshman year, but he still made the ACC All-Freshman Team. I'm not sure why he was a 21 year old freshman at Duke but that may be why he might be attainable at 41.

Of course, this doesn't exactly address a need, but if he's the best available. . . .

Another one of my sleepers I didn't name. He is a very interesting player.

tbdog
08-31-2020, 08:07 PM
Do you think second rounders will be bought this year with owners getting tight on the books due to covid?

pad300
08-31-2020, 08:35 PM
Do you think second rounders will be bought this year with owners getting tight on the books due to covid?

I expect there will be some movement, and I think the price will be down. Some owners/franchises will want/need money, others will see an opportunity to buy cheap...

exstatic
08-31-2020, 09:30 PM
The Sixers aren't going to keep 4 second round picks. They have 34 and 36, both of which have the possibility of snagging a sleeper that no one decided to give a guaranteed contract. They also have 49 and 58, but those aren't worth much other than tying a guy down who might go elsewhere as an undrafted free agent.

The Pelicans have 39, 43, and 60 and they are going to be shopping around.

I know that. Someone just asked about second rounders.

ZeusWillJudge
09-01-2020, 01:11 PM
I know that. Someone just asked about second rounders.

I knew you had it. I was just giving some extra detail. Philly and NO are both likely to toss some second round picks. This is going to be a weird draft season, just because of all the uncertainty over the cap for the next 2-3 seasons.

This probably isn't the draft to luck into a star talent, but it could be a good year to shore up with some future role-players. I just hope they aren't passive.

ZeusWillJudge
09-01-2020, 01:33 PM
Malachi Flynn?

Did anybody watch SD State this year? I didn't see a single game. Just wondering if all this sudden hype about their PG means anything. They put together a good season, and he led them in just about everything except rebounds. Still, he looks like he was pretty much the same player he was his first two years, playing against shitty competition in the Mountain West.

Just wondering if any of you watched him and saw anything to justify this flurry of mentions?

Chinook
09-01-2020, 09:49 PM
I was looking at Tankathon again to see who had what second-rounders, and I saw that they project the 60th pick to be used on Paul Eboua. Dude's a 6-8 PF with a 7-2 wingspan a good athleticism. He has like no skills though. He uses a push-shot form, which isn't consistent. If the main guys we seem to want in the second are gone, I wouldn't mind using the pick for a flier on a guy with a physical profile to be a good defender. I don't think the production is there right now, and his age is concerning. But he seems like a guy who could easily go under the radar, and his rebounding is already an NBA-caliber skill.

exstatic
09-02-2020, 07:11 AM
I was looking at Tankathon again to see who had what second-rounders, and I saw that they project the 60th pick to be used on Paul Eboua. Dude's a 6-8 PF with a 7-2 wingspan a good athleticism. He has like no skills though. He uses a push-shot form, which isn't consistent. If the main guys we seem to want in the second are gone, I wouldn't mind using the pick for a flier on a guy with a physical profile to be a good defender. I don't think the production is there right now, and his age is concerning. But he seems like a guy who could easily go under the radar, and his rebounding is already an NBA-caliber skill.

Based on your description, this is a guy you wait to see if he goes undrafted, and try to get him to sign a 2 way contract with you gleague team. If we were picking in our usual last three spots in the round, I might entertain drafting him, but 41 is way too high for a physical profile.

exstatic
09-02-2020, 07:12 AM

Based on your description, this is a guy you wait to see if he goes undrafted, and try to get him to sign a 2 way contract with you gleague team. If we were picking in our usual last three spots in the round, I might entertain drafting him, but 41 is way too high for a physical profile.

Chinook
09-02-2020, 07:24 AM

I agree 41 is high for a pure flier. But it's also a bit low for an elite draft-and-stash prospect. Eboua isn't American. I don't think the prospect of playing in the d-league is going to get him to come over. I also don't know that a two-way spot is going to be available with Quinn and 41. He's not close to my top target in the second round, and it would definitely make more sense to draft him if the team acquires a later second. But it would also be nice to get the draft-and-stash coffers filled again. It's a bad strategy in the first round, but there's nothing wrong with get rights to as many guys as possible and being able to choose the ones who develop. The balance is that the team won't get those guys for peanuts anymore.

ZeusWillJudge
09-02-2020, 09:04 AM
I agree 41 is high for a pure flier. But it's also a bit low for an elite draft-and-stash prospect. Eboua isn't American. I don't think the prospect of playing in the d-league is going to get him to come over. I also don't know that a two-way spot is going to be available with Quinn and 41. He's not close to my top target in the second round, and it would definitely make more sense to draft him if the team acquires a later second. But it would also be nice to get the draft-and-stash coffers filled again. It's a bad strategy in the first round, but there's nothing wrong with get rights to as many guys as possible and being able to choose the ones who develop. The balance is that the team won't get those guys for peanuts anymore.

It would be nice to have a guy with length, who defends and pulls down rebounds, just for situational use. He sounds like a guy you would love to spend some time with Chip in the summers. I would be good if the Spurs had a relationship with his team, to try and make sure he develops. It would be even better to get him in Austin. Working is one thing - working on the right things is another. I found this article on him. https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2020/4/15/21202790/paul-eboua-nba-draft-scouting-report-video-analysis One of the clips shows him doing a good job boxing on a rebound (which some of the current SA players could learn from). He's not totally awkward with the ball or anything, but there's one clip that shows him dribbling into the paint that made me laugh because it reminded me of Danny Green.

6'8", athletic, and a willing defender? And I bet he's never had a real shooting coach. I can see why you'd throw a late second rounder at him as a stash.

exstatic
09-02-2020, 09:27 AM
It would be nice to have a guy with length, who defends and pulls down rebounds, just for situational use. He sounds like a guy you would love to spend some time with Chip in the summers. I would be good if the Spurs had a relationship with his team, to try and make sure he develops. It would be even better to get him in Austin. Working is one thing - working on the right things is another. I found this article on him. https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2020/4/15/21202790/paul-eboua-nba-draft-scouting-report-video-analysis One of the clips shows him doing a good job boxing on a rebound (which some of the current SA players could learn from). He's not totally awkward with the ball or anything, but there's one clip that shows him dribbling into the paint that made me laugh because it reminded me of Danny Green.

6'8", athletic, and a willing defender? And I bet he's never had a real shooting coach. I can see why you'd throw a late second rounder at him as a stash.

I’d be willing if we could buy one of Philly’s late second rounders (they have four total 2nds), but not at 41.

MR-Clutch
09-02-2020, 11:41 PM
I think Kira Lewis will be a steal at where he is being projected, he reminds me of deaaron fox. I also think Tyrell Terry is gonna be an effective player. I think both have the potential to end up as top 10 best players from this draft.

spurspl
09-03-2020, 07:35 AM
idk why but i have a feeling that smb from a 2nd round in this draft will be an all star

ZeusWillJudge
09-10-2020, 11:40 AM
One of the guys I forgot about was Kaleb Wesson. Big, strong guy who can shoot the 3 and rip down rebounds. Decent defender, and forces his way to the FT line a LOT. He came to college somewhere around 300 lbs. but he trimmed down to 255 and got a lot more mobile. I like him better than any backup big the Spurs had on the roster this year. I think he's a guy who could get legit NBA minutes, who will be on the board when they make their second pick.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-10-2020, 12:00 PM
I'd say use the 41 on someone with all of the tools who maybe just needs to develop his shot. If you can find the size, speed and work ethic, I'd take someone who's a bit raw at that spot. As others have said, picking that high doesn't have to translate into a long-term project.

My guess is that there will be some sleepers who fall. It was an especially tough year to scout with no games going on this spring. I'll be really curious to see how we'll use that pick. Definitely a chance for a steal.

timvp
09-10-2020, 01:25 PM
This draft is weak on the top but I'm pretty impressed by the depth. Last count I had about 45 players I'd be happy with at 41. :tu

Yeah, all five of those are names that stand out to me as potential Spurs picks, tbh. Good call.

You might also be able to catch an interesting yet flawed prospect in freefall like Josh Green, Isaiah Stewart or Theo Maledon like they did with DeJuan Blair.

Prime BEEF
09-10-2020, 02:37 PM
Tyler Bey, Paul Reed, Desmond Bane, Jordan Nwora, Kenyon Martin Jr

would be super stoked if the spurs selected one of these guys. Think they are underrated and will be sleeper picks.

kobyz
09-10-2020, 03:25 PM
Jay Scrubb - similar prospect to Lonny Walker

BackHome
09-12-2020, 02:04 PM
Prime - Check out a YouTube video “ 4 Sleepers in 2020” by Sub Me In Coach - I think anyone looking at sleeps or steals will enjoy it.

D-Robinson 50 fan
09-12-2020, 09:21 PM
I agree with the folks who said that this draft is some what deep. I think we should be able to get 2 quality players pretty easily if the front office doesn’t overstate some of these guys upside.

i think it’s going to be a lot of solid rotation level players in this draft. It’s not strong on sure fire star players and that’s why the media is down playing it so much.

ZeusWillJudge
09-13-2020, 01:26 AM
Prime - Check out a YouTube video “ 4 Sleepers in 2020” by Sub Me In Coach - I think anyone looking at sleeps or steals will enjoy it.

He's got some good picks on the video. I already said I like Riller and I'd like to have an extra second round pick that's early enough to take him. And we talked about Kira Lewis' speed up above.

Desmond Bane can shoot the shit out of the long ball. If he didn't have those T-Rex arms he'd be getting a lot more attention. But he does have T-Rex arms, and a slow release. He's probably going to get swallowed up by NBA defenders, and his limited reach is def not an asset on defense.

Xavier Tillman is just the opposite. He has long arms for his height, but he can't shoot for shit. I don't think he's enough of anything to make it in the NBA. He's not an NBA 3, and he doesn't have the springs to overcome his height at the 4. I wouldn't be surprised if someone puts him on a 2-way. He would be one of those guys you pull for, but I don't think he'll ever get a lot of minutes outside the G-League.

Still, any one of those guys could carve out a niche with the right team.

PhantomDashCam
09-18-2020, 10:34 PM
Jay Scrubb - similar prospect to Lonny Walker
I think the Spurs have looked at him for sure. According to this article, he has worked out in San Antonio.
https://www.wdrb.com/sports/bozich-jay-scrubbs-father-says-his-son-will-crack-nba-draft-lottery/article_d352698e-bc98-11ea-bb0c-b34ff5da1537.html
Will be interested to see how he performs and measures out at the combine. He could turn a lot of heads.

Dejounte
09-19-2020, 01:42 AM
There has been a lot of buzz on Scrubb that I've seen

His dad is giving me some serious Uncle Dennis vibe though judging from that article. Scary

exstatic
09-19-2020, 08:01 AM
There has been a lot of buzz on Scrubb that I've seen

His dad is giving me some serious Uncle Dennis vibe though judging from that article. Scary

I don’t remember Uncle D shamelessly pimping Kawhi in the media. Definitely a Ball family vibe, though.

The reality is that they’re blowing his chance by being impatient. He should have gone to Louisville for a season. White followed a far longer, weirder path to the NBA, and snuck into the First round. I can tell you that his dad isn’t helping matters. Ball vibe without Ball talent = undrafted. No team wants that kind of drama for a long shot development project.

The Truth #6
09-19-2020, 12:27 PM
I’d love Tyler Bey but I think he’ll be gone by the time of our second pick. I get a Shawn Marion vibe with him.

PhantomDashCam
09-21-2020, 11:05 PM
https://www.babcockhoops.com/post/pre-draft-workouts-jay-scrubb

Great read on Jay Scrubb and scouting as a profession from the ground floor. Has the complete offensive toolkit but struggles “mightily” defensively. I believe he has as much upside as any guard in the draft.

BackHome
09-22-2020, 07:55 AM
I wonder what his comment about he “must get stronger and learn how to play” means? I guess from the article he has skills but questions on his basketball IQ and will probably need a year or two of solid G League playing time in order to break bad habits and rebuild him.

ZeusWillJudge
09-22-2020, 11:03 AM
https://www.babcockhoops.com/post/pre-draft-workouts-jay-scrubb

Great read on Jay Scrubb and scouting as a profession from the ground floor. Has the complete offensive toolkit but struggles “mightily” defensively. I believe he has as much upside as any guard in the draft.

I'm convinced that there are players out there who could have played NBA ball, but never got the opportunity for one reason or another. Say what you want about Jonathon Simmons, he was good enough to get two NBA teams to pay him a bunch of money. BUT... Simmons played for a D-1 college, and then did two years in the D-League.

I don't know anything at all about Scrubb, except that he has some red flags. He got an offer to come play for Louisville, which was a perfect opportunity to play D-1 ball, and he committed. Then he thanked them by changing his mind and entering the draft. That article confirmed what I had heard - that he couldn't qualify academically for a D-1 school, which is why he was at a junior college. That's okay... high school kids do dumb things, and some outgrow it. But it makes him pretty much a poster boy for someone who should have taken that offer from Louisville, and proved himself. And it sounds like his dad is heavily involved in his decisions, which reminds me too much of Uncle whether it's true or not.

Now he's got an agent, and is fully committed to the draft. I hope he makes it, just because it would be a great story. But I wouldn't even throw 41 at him, without a clear understanding with him and his agent that he's going to spend the first year in Austin. There's miles of desert between shooting 46% from 3P against junior college defenders and playing both ends of the court in the NBA. Plus, he's got the worst basketball name in history.

dbestpro
09-22-2020, 11:15 AM
One of the guys I forgot about was Kaleb Wesson. Big, strong guy who can shoot the 3 and rip down rebounds. Decent defender, and forces his way to the FT line a LOT. He came to college somewhere around 300 lbs. but he trimmed down to 255 and got a lot more mobile. I like him better than any backup big the Spurs had on the roster this year. I think he's a guy who could get legit NBA minutes, who will be on the board when they make their second pick.

I agree. The fact that there was little to no reply on this post indicates he is a real sleeper, but could be one of those guys who sees 20 mpg plus in about 3 years.

PhantomDashCam
09-22-2020, 03:27 PM
I don't know anything at all about Scrubb, except that he has some red flags. He got an offer to come play for Louisville, which was a perfect opportunity to play D-1 ball, and he committed. Then he thanked them by changing his mind and entering the draft. That article confirmed what I had heard - that he couldn't qualify academically for a D-1 school, which is why he was at a junior college. That's okay... high school kids do dumb things, and some outgrow it. But it makes him pretty much a poster boy for someone who should have taken that offer from Louisville, and proved himself. And it sounds like his dad is heavily involved in his decisions, which reminds me too much of Uncle whether it's true or not.

Now he's got an agent, and is fully committed to the draft. I hope he makes it, just because it would be a great story. But I wouldn't even throw 41 at him, without a clear understanding with him and his agent that he's going to spend the first year in Austin. There's miles of desert between shooting 46% from 3P against junior college defenders and playing both ends of the court in the NBA. Plus, he's got the worst basketball name in history.

Think you make some excellent points.

The Louisville decision is an interesting one, although perhaps not as cut and dried as it appears.
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/basketball/2020/04/03/nba-or-louisville-inside-trinitys-jay-scrubbs-historic-decision/5112962002/

Some of the other the items mentioned in this article sound terrifying, such as ‘he’s not going to the NBA to be in the D-League’ via his dad etc.

However, this was written in April, the kid has just turned 20 and has potential to be ‘special’ from a position that is arguably the most saturated in the NBA (the 2 - 3)? I feel that definitely warrants further investigation and have no doubt the Spurs will do just that.

FWIW, I am by no means hitching my wagon or obsessed with Jay as a prospect. Thought it was an interesting read and discussion though.

BackHome
09-22-2020, 05:39 PM
Yeah another player that caught my eye is Elijah Hughes a SF 6’6 who definitely has some skills will have to dig a little deeper.

As far as some other guys late or not drafted I like:

1. Paul Eboua - PF 6’8 Wing 7’2 - Raw athlete
2. Tres Tinkle - SF 6’8 - Nice outside shooter
3. C.J Ellebry - SG 6’6 - Another outside sweet shooter
4. Malcom Cazalon - SG 6’6 - Great Hops has some upside (FRANCE)
5. Emmitt Williams - PF 6’6 Wing 6’11. A Blue Collar Worker definitely a hard worker glue kind of guy

Dejounte
09-23-2020, 09:41 PM
Liking Leandro Bolmaro if we trade down ...

He follows Luka, Patty, Manu, and the Spurs on IG....

But he also follows the Lakers.

Just not sure how they could bring him over with his new contract.

ZeusWillJudge
09-23-2020, 11:07 PM
Liking Leandro Bolmaro if we trade down ...

He follows Luka, Patty, Manu, and the Spurs on IG....

But he also follows the Lakers.

Just not sure how they could bring him over with his new contract.

Bolmaro has a lot of mannerisms that look like Manu. I'm not saying he's going to play like Manu, but you can really tell that he grew up watching Manu and copying his style. It's really cool to watch him come into the paint and cradle the ball next to his body like Manu did - sort of like a football running back.

His buyout is only $900K, so he would only have to pay $150K out of his own pocket. But he's already announced that he's not going to come to the NBA this next season, no matter what. It sounded like he's staying in this draft, but he's not considering leaving Barca this year. He would be a good investment for a team that can afford to wait. I would take him on the Spurs for sure, but I don't think they can spent #11 that way right now, and I don't think he'll make it to #41.

Damn good pick, though. :tu

D-Robinson 50 fan
09-24-2020, 09:41 PM
https://youtu.be/Ewt31VahYBg

With as good as Jerami Grant has played the last 2 seasons I really think Diakite out of UVA could be a little similar type player.

Hopefully our guys can get him in the 2nd round or as an undrafted free agent

the draft express link didn’t take into account his UVA play
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Mamadi-Diakite-84531/

duncan2150
09-26-2020, 04:24 AM
Immanuel quickley coule be an interesting 2nd rounder.

Not a big guard, not a pass first guy but a deadly shooter. Coule be a good player of the bench.

PhantomDashCam
09-27-2020, 06:44 PM
https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/09/26/2020-nba-draft-tyrell-terrys-stock-to-rise-with-latest-measurements/

Tyrell Terry supposedly has grown a couple of inches and put on close to 20 lbs since end of season. Think there will be a lot of instances of this with 2020 prospects. If Kira Lewis grows an inch or two and has dedicated himself physically, IMHO hard to pass that up at 11.

kobyz
09-27-2020, 07:01 PM
https://youtu.be/Ewt31VahYBg

With as good as Jerami Grant has played the last 2 seasons I really think Diakite out of UVA could be a little similar type player.

Hopefully our guys can get him in the 2nd round or as an undrafted free agent

the draft express link didn’t take into account his UVA play
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Mamadi-Diakite-84531/

No way he can play on the wing like Grant, he's energy big in the mold of Larry Nance jr

BackHome
09-27-2020, 07:28 PM
https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/09/26/2020-nba-draft-tyrell-terrys-stock-to-rise-with-latest-measurements/

Tyrell Terry supposedly has grown a couple of inches and put on close to 20 lbs since end of season. Think there will be a lot of instances of this with 2020 prospects. If Kira Lewis grows an inch or two and has dedicated himself physically, IMHO hard to pass that up at 11.

He is my Dark Horse at number 11 I think he will be a very good starter for any team in one or two years. In a perfect world would love to work a trade with LMA or Derozz where we able to keep our 11th pick and then pick up Kira latter but I know that is not going to happen.

Dejounte
09-29-2020, 08:08 PM
Apparently the Spurs interviewed this guy:

https://youtu.be/LB8mvnpjxSg

Who the fuck is this guy lmao

Dejounte
09-29-2020, 11:15 PM
Checked him out a bit... Plays a bit like Zeke Nnaji. A little bit more mobile maybe. Has a weird looking shot but it goes in.

ZeusWillJudge
09-30-2020, 12:54 AM
Checked him out a bit... Plays a bit like Zeke Nnaji. A little bit more mobile maybe. Has a weird looking shot but it goes in.

He's a great big bastard, isn't he? Looks like a Turkish Steven Adams. I didn't see that the Spurs interviewed him, but I believe you.

Did you read his story? He played pro ball in Europe. Played a preseason exhibition game against the Nets when he was 17 years old. Then after playing as a pro, he decides to go to college? The NCAA made him sit out 9 games, and donate $1K to a charity of his choice, and declared him eligible. Since when did the NCAA start selling eligibility? It's the stupidest damn thing I've ever heard of. If you want make him college eligible, just do it. Don't make him pay money to some damn charity.

So he plays for NC State. Then he decides to test the NBA draft. I guess he didn't get the interest he wanted, so he goes back to college - but not to NC State. He transfers to Georgetown, which means he has to sit out a year to become eligible there. He plays one year for Georgetown, then says he'll forego a redshirt year there to enter this draft.

I've never seen a bio like that, ever.

Dejounte
09-30-2020, 07:16 AM
Yeah, in case someone doesn't believe:

https://twitter.com/kylecohenNBA/status/1309956348633849858?s=19

Dejounte
09-30-2020, 07:20 AM
He's a great big bastard, isn't he? Looks like a Turkish Steven Adams. I didn't see that the Spurs interviewed him, but I believe you.

Did you read his story? He played pro ball in Europe. Played a preseason exhibition game against the Nets when he was 17 years old. Then after playing as a pro, he decides to go to college? The NCAA made him sit out 9 games, and donate $1K to a charity of his choice, and declared him eligible. Since when did the NCAA start selling eligibility? It's the stupidest damn thing I've ever heard of. If you want make him college eligible, just do it. Don't make him pay money to some damn charity.

So he plays for NC State. Then he decides to test the NBA draft. I guess he didn't get the interest he wanted, so he goes back to college - but not to NC State. He transfers to Georgetown, which means he has to sit out a year to become eligible there. He plays one year for Georgetown, then says he'll forego a redshirt year there to enter this draft.

I've never seen a bio like that, ever.

Guess he wanted to transfer to Georgetown because of Patrick Ewing.

He can sort of shoot off the dribble similar to Jalen (obviously not as good) which is nice. Has a soft touch around the rim.

BackHome
09-30-2020, 09:33 AM
I wonder if they going to let Poodle walk?

pad300
09-30-2020, 10:49 AM
I wonder if they going to let Poodle walk?

I doubt they've made that decision; it'd depend on what he wants as a contract. But no doubt they are doing their due diligence so as to have options.

talkspurs
10-03-2020, 11:59 AM
Was wondering what some of yalls opinion of Josh Hall was?

Dejounte
10-06-2020, 09:10 PM
What about Mason Jones?

I like prospects who can take it to the hoop and draw fouls. Sometimes you can gauge their toughness that way.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hoopshype.com/2020/04/30/nba-draft-prospect-mason-jones-i-can-achieve-being-an-all-star-or-being-an-mvp-in-the-league/amp/

Dejounte
10-06-2020, 09:21 PM
https://twitter.com/AhbAnalytics/status/1256648336532287489?s=19

Apparently weighed 270 lbs and lost 70 lbs in a year.

Dejounte
10-06-2020, 09:23 PM
https://twitter.com/AhbAnalytics/status/1256796779447795713?s=19

https://twitter.com/AhbAnalytics/status/1256797986513989632?s=19

https://twitter.com/AhbAnalytics/status/1256799386841079808?s=19

Dejounte
10-06-2020, 09:29 PM
Seems like a solid pick if we go big with our 1st.

White/ Murray/ Q
DeMar/ Lonnie/ Mills
Keldon/ Jones
Lyles/ Gay/ Samanic
Aldridge/ Smith/ Eubanks

Dejounte
10-06-2020, 09:45 PM
"How do you think your perimeter defense will translate to the next level?

MJ: I feel like I can really guard one through four. I can do a lot. I can guard a point guard, I can guard a shooting guard and I can guard a small forward; it’s just about the match-ups. I had to play a lot of four because our team was small and Coach just wanted us to go small, so I was doing everything I could do for our team. As you can tell if you watched us play, we switched everything one through five. When I go to the next level, that is really going to carry on because I was able to guard so many positions. So dealing with my IQ and the way I’m going to keep getting faster on my foot speed and everything that is going to happen this summer while training will help me as it translates to the next level."

Dejounte
10-07-2020, 08:55 AM
https://youtu.be/PmPk7WxjlDo

He started basketball as a high school senior because he was overweight the years prior. He wasn't recruited to any colleges. Sounds like another Derrick White story to me.

The only thing is he is another "secondary playmaker" type. Meaning he'll have to take the ball away from DJ, White, DeMar, Keldon, if we want him to play at his best. Which is not that big an issue for me... he's a better ball handler and way better shooter than DJ and DeMar won't be here forever... and since Mason is a great shooter, maybe he can learn to play a bit better off the ball.
Sugus take a look at this guy (as a 2nd round pick) when you have time.

Dejounte
10-07-2020, 10:25 AM
Straight up makes a mockery out of Yves Pons, one of the best defenders in college:

https://youtu.be/dC_M2bC-aPs

Okoro couldn't stop him:

https://youtu.be/4NmQB-L33-o

Bro

Boi is a killa

kobyz
10-07-2020, 12:31 PM
Straight up makes a mockery out of Yves Pons, one of the best defenders in college:

https://youtu.be/dC_M2bC-aPs

Okoro couldn't stop him:

https://youtu.be/4NmQB-L33-o

Bro

Boi is a killa
Less athletic Devin Booker vibes

Sugus
10-07-2020, 01:32 PM
https://youtu.be/PmPk7WxjlDo

He started basketball as a high school senior because he was overweight the years prior. He wasn't recruited to any colleges. Sounds like another Derrick White story to me.

The only thing is he is another "secondary playmaker" type. Meaning he'll have to take the ball away from DJ, White, DeMar, Keldon, if we want him to play at his best. Which is not that big an issue for me... he's a better ball handler and way better shooter than DJ and DeMar won't be here forever... and since Mason is a great shooter, maybe he can learn to play a bit better off the ball.
Sugus take a look at this guy (as a 2nd round pick) when you have time.

I've been avoiding this thread just because I haven't scouted any second-round prospects, and I don't want to get my hopes up for even more players we probably won't draft. But being that it's a personal recommendation... I'll check it out and get back to you. Haven't got any horse in the second-round-pick race so might as well scout at least one or two guys, tbh. It's gonna take way too long until the draft comes, anyways...

Dejounte
10-07-2020, 02:06 PM
I've been avoiding this thread just because I haven't scouted any second-round prospects, and I don't want to get my hopes up for even more players we probably won't draft. But being that it's a personal recommendation... I'll check it out and get back to you. Haven't got any horse in the second-round-pick race so might as well scout at least one or two guys, tbh. It's gonna take way too long until the draft comes, anyways...

https://youtu.be/vl4uAhG0R5A

Yeah, I get it. I was avoiding this thread too. There's just way more probability to get the pick wrong since there's a crap load more prospects to choose from and because well, the Spurs are the Spurs. The reason why I think Mason could be a target is because of his story.... The Spurs always get someone with a story.

duncan2150
10-07-2020, 06:50 PM
What about Mason Jones?

I like prospects who can take it to the hoop and draw fouls. Sometimes you can gauge their toughness that way.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hoopshype.com/2020/04/30/nba-draft-prospect-mason-jones-i-can-achieve-being-an-all-star-or-being-an-mvp-in-the-league/amp/

What do you think of immanuel quickley ?

i will see some of mason jones vids

Dejounte
10-07-2020, 07:25 PM

I checked him out real quick.

My preliminary eval of Quickley is this:

A quicker version of Forbes. I say this because he doesn't flash many offensive moves besides the spot up 3, floater (looks more efficient than Forbes). He doesnt look like he can be creative out of an ISO like Mason can. Whenever I look at prospects, I look for an eye popping skill and so far I don't see one. He can pass better than Forbes.

PhantomDashCam
10-07-2020, 08:06 PM
Desmond Bane (@DBane0625) Tweeted:
How many do you see in a row 👀 https://t.co/JuFBylAOn0

https://twitter.com/DBane0625/status/1311786721307230209?s=20

Won’t be available in the 2nd round but Geez...

ZeusWillJudge
10-07-2020, 08:39 PM
Desmond Bane (@DBane0625) Tweeted:
How many do you see in a row  https://t.co/JuFBylAOn0

https://twitter.com/DBane0625/status/1311786721307230209?s=20

Won’t be available in the 2nd round but Geez...

:D That's amazing. Thanks for posting. I love Bane. Right now, like at this moment, there is nothing that Bryn Forbes does that Bane couldn't do better. I guess Forbes knows the Spurs' "system" - assuming that still even exists, but that's about it. I think he could be a really good NBA player, but there are some physical stats floating around that are either cause for worry or cause to draft him in the lottery.

I think I posted this above, but I can't remember. I found the measurements on the Stepien. I don't have any idea where they got them, but something ain't right. According to this report, he's got a really short wingspan, but his standing reach is pretty normal. His no-step vertical is pretty bad, but his max vertical is really damn good. The most confusing thing is that his sprint time is pathetically slow, but his shuttle time is faster than anything I remember seeing. https://www.thestepien.com/2020/04/06/desmond-bane-scouting-report/

I think that shuttle time has to be a mistake. But if it's right? With his 3P% and strength, plus that kind of reaction time and direction change ability, I'd consider drafting him at 11. Can't be right... can it?

rankingtear
10-07-2020, 08:54 PM
Spurs worked out Bane last year. He's going first round is the consensus right now. Phoenix 76ers and Bucks

PhantomDashCam
10-07-2020, 09:14 PM
Spurs worked out Bane last year. He's going first round is the consensus right now. Phoenix 76ers and Bucks

Yeah that’s what I’ve read too. Guy will come in and challenge for a starting position wherever he goes.
Now if Atlanta are serious about shoring up their backcourt to mitigate some of Tre’s deficiencies, could see a scenario where Bane is available at 11 and Spurs offering a conservative package for the swap.

duncan2150
10-08-2020, 01:41 AM
I checked him out real quick.

My preliminary eval of Quickley is this:

A quicker version of Forbes. I say this because he doesn't flash many offensive moves besides the spot up 3, floater (looks more efficient than Forbes). He doesnt look like he can be creative out of an ISO like Mason can. Whenever I look at prospects, I look for an eye popping skill and so far I don't see one. He can pass better than Forbes.

I understand the comp. He is a way better Version of a small shooting SG ala forbes.
Like you said He is quicker, with a good wingspan 6'9 for 6'3, a more deadly shooter than Forbes imo. He could be decent off the bench.

Dejounte
10-08-2020, 08:18 AM
B8SPaZnpMbW

He's got that Luka/ Harden step back.

Started basketball really late similar to Siakam.

This guy is the real sleeper. Will be following him after he gets drafted, even if it isn't the Spurs. Really intriguing skillset that cannot be found anywhere else in the 2nd round.

Dejounte
10-08-2020, 08:19 AM
I understand the comp. He is a way better Version of a small shooting SG ala forbes.
Like you said He is quicker, with a good wingspan 6'9 for 6'3, a more deadly shooter than Forbes imo. He could be decent off the bench.

Yeah, I agree he's way better than Forbes. If we didn't have so many combo guards, I'd be okay with him.

kobyz
10-08-2020, 11:37 AM

seems similar to Bryn Forbes

Dejounte
10-08-2020, 08:53 PM
https://twitter.com/masonjones2/status/1314372589490503680?s=19

Dejounte
10-15-2020, 01:15 PM
https://twitter.com/masonjones2/status/1316797728249257984?s=19

MY SLEEPER PICK OF 2020

TDMVPDPOY
10-15-2020, 04:20 PM
better not draft some midget, spurms already got 2 midgets like forbes and wombat on the team...

ginobilized
10-15-2020, 06:10 PM
Paul Reed, Mason Jones or Desmond Bane would be great 2nd round pick.

PhantomDashCam
10-18-2020, 03:48 AM
https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/1317624039851130880?s=20

- Discussions about Sleepers or guys he has higher than other mocks - From the 29:30 mark

Isaiah Stewart - Doesn’t exactly fit the prototype of a modern day big, a bit undersized - has talent though, big bodied
His mental make up, personality- he is just built to succeed. “He’s willing, and able to run through a brick wall for you.”

Malachi Flynn - Seems undersized, but this kid was DPOY in his conference. Tough, intelligent, a silent assassin “won’t be punked in the NBA.”

Elijah Hughes - Older player, under recruited. “Growth” mindset. Keeps adding, refining his game.

Jalen Harris - Combo guard. Killer instinct scorer. Will tear you up.

Some guys he think may be overrated (at least not as high on them as some) - Tyrese Haliburton, Cole Anthony and Tyrese Maxey.

ZeusWillJudge
10-18-2020, 06:45 PM
Paul Reed, Mason Jones or Desmond Bane would be great 2nd round pick.

Or Grant Riller.

https://www.thestepien.com/2020/02/20/grant-riller-scouting-report/

Dejounte
10-18-2020, 06:53 PM
Or Grant Riller.

https://www.thestepien.com/2020/02/20/grant-riller-scouting-report/

Other than being really old already, dude is a legit shot creator based off my stats thread. He's not just a softie shooter either, he'll take the bumps inside which I love. Haven't watched him at all but maybe I should.

Edit: i guess Mason Jones is old too, but the few inches he has over Grant makes me take him first.

Dejounte
10-18-2020, 07:02 PM
Hmm... Watching a little bit.. his form on outside 3s is ugly.. uses a lot of strength from the arms to shoot and theres a hitch.. gonna need a lot of help to change that. If he doesn't, not a big deal since he's a scoring threat in the mid range

ZeusWillJudge
10-19-2020, 03:34 PM
Hmm... Watching a little bit.. his form on outside 3s is ugly.. uses a lot of strength from the arms to shoot and theres a hitch.. gonna need a lot of help to change that. If he doesn't, not a big deal since he's a scoring threat in the mid range

I think he'll be fine on the offensive end. He's got a legit first step, and he can create his own shot. I agree his 3P stroke isn't as silky as someone like Forbes. But he can negotiate extra space for himself, and he finishes through contact well on the inside - so I think his numbers hold up pretty good at the next level.

The biggest question mark is on the defensive end. I think he's got the physical tools to be adequate there, if he's willing. With all the guards the Spurs have, they would be drafting him for Austin the first year. At 41, I think you get something out of him no matter what, so his upside is a bonus. He could have a lot of people wishing they had picked him before 41.

Bellboy
10-21-2020, 12:10 PM
When can we draft Victor Wembanyama ?

Dex
10-21-2020, 12:21 PM
When can we draft Victor Wembanyama ?

We're gonna need bigger jerseys.

exstatic
10-21-2020, 12:57 PM
We're gonna need bigger jerseys.

No shit, plays for INSEP, that French basketball academy that produced most of their great generation. There was a clip of he and Rudy Gobert, and Gobert couldn’t get to his shot. His wingspan is 8’0”, so his release would naturally be pretty high. He’s 16, so class of ‘22.

Dejounte
10-22-2020, 01:47 PM
https://twitter.com/SwaggyShipley/status/1319340144739127298?s=19

Shooting fadeaways and halfcourt 3s. Draft him with the 11th pick at this point.

Chinook
10-22-2020, 05:28 PM
Remain intrigued by Eboua. Dude has the frame to be a legit forward. I don't like that he's as raw as he is for his age, but he's a good candidate to sign to a two-way deal, and that's something that might be important if the Spurs trade Aldridge or DeRozan for multiple contracts.

PhantomDashCam
10-24-2020, 02:56 AM
Daniel Oturu’s Combine numbers
https://www.startribune.com/ex-gophers-star-daniel-oturu-stands-out-during-virtual-nba-draft-combine/572842752/

Oturu, who is 6-foot-10 and 240 pounds, shot 67.5 percent from three-point range (104 for 154) and 87 percent from the free throw line (87 for 100) at the P3 Sports Science facility in Santa Barbara, Calif.

In other testing results, Oturu’s box lane agility drill (11.37 seconds), 3/4 court sprint (3.28 seconds), standing vertical jump (29.5 inches) and max vertical (35.5 inches) topped averages at his position from the 2019 NBA Draft combine in Chicago.

Overall, his 2020 pre-draft assessment was pretty impressive for an athlete at his size and length, which included measurements of a 7-4 wingspan, 9-2 standing reach and 9.25-inch hand width.

talkspurs
10-24-2020, 09:16 AM
https://www.startribune.com/ex-gophers-star-daniel-oturu-stands-out-during-virtual-nba-draft-combine/572842752/

He is someone I would like to get if we picked up another 1st. Dont think he will drop to us in the second.

ginobilized
10-24-2020, 02:20 PM
Oturu is someone I'd love to see on the Spurs. Right attitude and has a ton of upside, not at 11, though.
Such a strange feeling to dig this deep into players that were once expected to be well into their first pre-season by now. What a weird year.

PhantomDashCam
10-25-2020, 03:21 AM
https://youtu.be/sE3uFY-o9gA

Sleepers Video or a.k.a guys who will outperform expected draft positions.

Some familiar names amongst Spurs fans: Desmond Bane, Malachi Flynn, Paul Reed, Xavier Tillman and Sam Merrill.

Malachi Flynn’s name comes up a lot now so not sure he is a sleeper anymore. May have worked his way into the 1st round now. Ditto with Desmond Bane, but a great video none the less.

ZeusWillJudge
10-25-2020, 12:19 PM
Sleepers Video or a.k.a guys who will outperform expected draft positions.

Some familiar names amongst Spurs fans: Desmond Bane, Malachi Flynn, Paul Reed, Xavier Tillman and Sam Merrill.

Malachi Flynn’s name comes up a lot now so not sure he is a sleeper anymore. May have worked his way into the 1st round now. Ditto with Desmond Bane, but a great video none the less.

Malachi Flynn committed to one college. Then not long before the school year started, he "changed his mind" and went to Washington State. His second year at W State the team went something like 12-20, and he announced he was leaving, without even having a place in mind to go. He chose San Diego State, which played against a schedule ranked at 3.9 - which is damned close to junior college competition. He had to redshirt a year at SDSU, so he's as old as a 4-year player, without 4 years of experience.

Fuck Malachi Flynn.

I actually like Paul Reed, but not before 41. If he can up his 3P shot, he could be a decent player. And he's showed signs of being able to shoot them. Draft him in the second round, put him in Austin, and see if he puts the work in? Not so bad. He's got legit upside.

Sam Merrill played in the same conference as Malachi Flynn, against a strength of schedule just about as shitty. He's 6'5". Yay. I don't know if he's really moving up. But if he really is, I would love to know why.

PhantomDashCam
10-25-2020, 05:32 PM
Without getting into Malachi Flynn’s personal history (to which I know very little about), this list is more about a players projected draft range and how their performance in an NBA environment may contradict where they end up being drafted.

Flynn and Tre Jones may be two of the more NBA ready PGs in the draft but at best will be drafted in late 1st- early 2nd.

Malachi Flynn sounds like a high level role player on a contender, a Draymond Green type.

Paul Reed draws comparisons to Precious Achiuwa but he is considered a 2nd round pick, despite being similar ages.

Sam Merrill is mocked to be a late 2nd/undrafted prospect - but because of his elite NBA skill of shooting, may end up playing meaningful minutes for a contender in his rookie year.

I’m not suggesting the Spurs draft any of these guys btw, just showing the depth/parity of talent in the draft.

ZeusWillJudge
10-25-2020, 07:32 PM
Without getting into Malachi Flynn’s personal history (to which I know very little about), this list is more about a players projected draft range and how their performance in an NBA environment may contradict where they end up being drafted.

Flynn and Tre Jones may be two of the more NBA ready PGs in the draft but at best will be drafted in late 1st- early 2nd.

Malachi Flynn sounds like a high level role player on a contender, a Draymond Green type.

I wasn't bashing you for bringing him up. I was giving my own opinion, like everyone else does.

I'm saying that you can't ignore Flynn's "personal history". I am really, REALLY sick of guys who don't honor their commitments to their team and teammates. No, not talking about Kawhi. Or at least not just Kawhi. Flynn quit W State like a bitch, because they had a bad season - it was a jab at everyone (except him). That sounds like a fun guy to have on this roster.

And you sure as hell can't ignore the fact that his best play came while facing a Strength Of Schedule of 3.93. If you're not familiar, that is a laughably low level of competition. Some top-level players drop in the draft when scouts notice that their numbers go to shit when they face better teams. Playing against a 3.93 SOS is like looking at a guy who puts up numbers in the G-League. You have to know a lot more than his stats.

Put those two things together, and he's a great guy for the Spurs to stay away from in the draft. It was a lot quicker for me to just say Fuck Malachi Flynn.

I’m not suggesting the Spurs draft any of these guys btw, just showing the depth/parity of talent in the draft.

I got that. It was general, and I was being specific about the Spurs. I've spent a lot of time saying that I would like to have another lower first round pick and a high level second round pick. I just wouldn't use one of them on Malachi Flynn. That's all.

PhantomDashCam
10-25-2020, 07:50 PM
I wasn't bashing you for bringing him up. I was giving my own opinion, like everyone else does.

I'm saying that you can't ignore Flynn's "personal history". I am really, REALLY sick of guys who don't honor their commitments to their team and teammates. No, not talking about Kawhi. Or at least not just Kawhi. Flynn quit W State like a bitch, because they had a bad season - it was a jab at everyone (except him). That sounds like a fun guy to have on this roster.

And you sure as hell can't ignore the fact that his best play came while facing a Strength Of Schedule of 3.93. If you're not familiar, that is a laughably low level of competition. Some top-level players drop in the draft when scouts notice that their numbers go to shit when they face better teams. Playing against a 3.93 SOS is like looking at a guy who puts up numbers in the G-League. You have to know a lot more than his stats.

Put those two things together, and he's a great guy for the Spurs to stay away from in the draft. It was a lot quicker for me to just say Fuck Malachi Flynn.

I got that. It was general, and I was being specific about the Spurs. I've spent a lot of time saying that I would like to have another lower first round pick and a high level second round pick. I just wouldn't use one of them on Malachi Flynn. That's all.

Apologies pal. Never took it personal. Was glad for the input and didn’t mean to come off as defensive. I mistyped before, meant to say Xavier Tillman was the Draymond Green type.

ZeusWillJudge
10-25-2020, 08:28 PM
Apologies pal. Never took it personal. Was glad for the input and didn’t mean to come off as defensive. I mistyped before, meant to say Xavier Tillman was the Draymond Green type.

I liked Jordan Nwora through the season. I still do. But he had a couple of poor games against good teams, and his draft stock went to hell. (I still think he will be a draft day bargain.) Flynn never faced a team anywhere close to those two teams that hurt Nwora's draft stock so much.

I mentioned earlier that most fans (and most of the people doing mock drafts) don't look at SOS much, if at all. Nwora played for Louisville. They faced an SOS of 9.08 his first year, and 11.04 his second year. This year their SOS was "only" 7.55, so I understand some of the concerns about him. But put that into perspective against Flynn facing a 3.93 SOS, and you have to wonder if people would be talking about Flynn this highly if he had played in a tougher conference.

This is just a hobby for all of us. I mean, the Spurs almost never call me for advice on who to draft. But it's a yearly pastime. You can look at Sports-Reference.com and get the college stats of all these players. And the last block in the per game section is SOS. Off the top of my head, the only first round pick I can remember in the last few years who played against a weaker SOS was Chandler Hutchison. He's actually been decent, considering. So I guess if I'm being honest, Flynn's personal stuff is a big factor for me. But I've been reading some of the PR about Flynn being one of the best PG's in this draft, and I still don't think you can base that much on his college performance.

szkorhetz
10-26-2020, 07:04 AM
What about Bolmaro?
I could see the Spurs take a chance on him with the second round pick.

buttsR4rebounding
10-26-2020, 07:11 AM
What about Bolmaro?

I haven't seen a mock in quite some time that has him falling that far. Most have him as a late 1st round pick.

exstatic
10-26-2020, 07:44 AM
I think Bolmaro pulled out of the draft.

Dejounte
10-26-2020, 07:45 AM

He pulled out from playing in the NBA for next season. He can still be selected.

exstatic
10-26-2020, 08:21 AM
He pulled out from playing in the NBA for next season. He can still be selected.

Is he 22?

Dejounte
10-26-2020, 08:53 AM
https://twitter.com/masonjones2/status/1320722438590791683?s=19

My boyyyyyy

ZeusWillJudge
10-26-2020, 09:41 AM
What about Bolmaro?

I haven't seen a mock in quite some time that has him falling that far. Most have him as a late 1st round pick.

I would have loved to see Bolmaro on this team. I don't think I would have taken him at 11, and he was unlikely to drop to 41.

But, yes, as Exstatic and Dejounte said, he has committed to staying put at least for this upcoming season, rather than coming to the NBA. I have no idea where he will be drafted because of that. If the Spurs were going to pick a guy that wouldn't be here for at least a year, he would be a good choice. But I hate... really HATE... the idea of using any more picks on guys who wind up never coming to the NBA.

mo7888
10-26-2020, 01:23 PM
I would have loved to see Bolmaro on this team. I don't think I would have taken him at 11, and he was unlikely to drop to 41.

But, yes, as Exstatic and Dejounte said, he has committed to staying put at least for this upcoming season, rather than coming to the NBA. I have no idea where he will be drafted because of that. If the Spurs were going to pick a guy that wouldn't be here for at least a year, he would be a good choice. But I hate... really HATE... the idea of using any more picks on guys who wind up never coming to the NBA.

I agree with all of that but, if he fell to 41 I'd still pick him and wait.

Dejounte
10-27-2020, 09:04 PM
https://twitter.com/EricPMusselman/status/1321268624993275906?s=19

My boyyyyyyyyy

Dejounte
10-27-2020, 09:12 PM
https://twitter.com/EricPMusselman/status/1321269968189665281?s=19

DRAFT THIS MAN

Dejounte
10-29-2020, 08:02 AM
https://www.ktsm.com/sports/college-sports/nmsu/nm-states-trevelin-queen-hoping-to-be-selected-in-nba-draft/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Spurs probably want to pick up this guy undrafted for their gleague team sort of like what they did with Daulton Hommes

ZeusWillJudge
10-29-2020, 08:56 AM
https://twitter.com/EricPMusselman/status/1321269968189665281?s=19

DRAFT THIS MAN

https://www.ktsm.com/sports/college-sports/nmsu/nm-states-trevelin-queen-hoping-to-be-selected-in-nba-draft/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Spurs probably want to pick up this guy undrafted for their gleague team sort of like what they did with Daulton Hommes

Thanks for keeping up with combine things, and posting up. I'm on a project right now, and I don't have time to do it.

I'm always a sucker for guys like Trevelin Queen. I want to see guys like that make it. I have to say, though, I went and took a quick look at this college stats. NM State had a -4.34 SOS this year? Yeah, that's MINUS 4.34. I'm sure there are plenty of those out there, and I'm just not looking at those guys and those schools. But a minus 4.34 strength of schedule? :lol He shot 3's pretty well, but I don't think he's getting a call during the draft like the article is talking about. But a stint in the G-League could be in his future, like you said.

PhantomDashCam
11-03-2020, 05:13 PM
https://twitter.com/BryanKalbrosky/status/1322635794771824648?s=20

Guys that will probably go undrafted. A lot were participants at the PBC and selected as honorees.
Can see the Spurs looking at a guy like Nate Darling as a 2 way contract signing.

Dejounte
11-03-2020, 05:17 PM
Do we have any more room for Gleague guys to be signed on the 2 way though? Or is this going to be similar to Daulton Hommes?

PhantomDashCam
11-03-2020, 05:28 PM
Pretty sure Eubanks Two- Way has expired. Not sure on the status of Q’s contract, whether it was for 1 or 2 years.
According to this can keep max of 2 on the books per team.

https://2ways10days.com/nba-two-way-contracts-faq-70d1c9cbbe9

What is the duration of a two-way contract?
Players can either sign for one or two years under two-way contract provisions, with the exception being players entering their third year of NBA service as they can only sign a one-year deal. At the end of contract, the NBA team will have the right to tender a qualifying offer to the player should they choose to do so.

R. DeMurre
11-14-2020, 12:55 AM
I mentioned earlier that most fans (and most of the people doing mock drafts) don't look at SOS much, if at all. Nwora played for Louisville. They faced an SOS of 9.08 his first year, and 11.04 his second year. This year their SOS was "only" 7.55, so I understand some of the concerns about him. But put that into perspective against Flynn facing a 3.93 SOS, and you have to wonder if people would be talking about Flynn this highly if he had played in a tougher conference.

Obi Toppin's SOS was 3.69 last season.

R. DeMurre
11-14-2020, 01:16 AM
I wonder if anyone has done a study on the value of the 31st pick in the draft... In financial terms, it's a really great pick to have-- you get a guy who's practically a first rounder, but the financial risk/ salary cap hit is as close to zero as you can get. A guy like Xavier Tillman led the entire NCAA in BPM and DBPM against a tough schedule and might be a productive bench big for years, but could be taken for a two year test drive with almost no financial investment risk. From a purely statistical angle with regard to potential talent and salary cap considerations, I'd think 31 through 35 should coveted much as a mid 20s pick.

rankingtear
11-14-2020, 03:15 AM
I wonder if anyone has done a study on the value of the 31st pick in the draft... In financial terms, it's a really great pick to have-- you get a guy who's practically a first rounder, but the financial risk/ salary cap hit is as close to zero as you can get. A guy like Xavier Tillman led the entire NCAA in BPM and DBPM against a tough schedule and might be a productive bench big for years, but could be taken for a two year test drive with almost no financial investment risk. From a purely statistical angle with regard to potential talent and salary cap considerations, I'd think 31 through 35 should coveted much as a mid 20s pick.

1. First rounders can also be taken for a 2 year test drive, third year is team option
2. They also hit RFA a year earlier

R. DeMurre
11-14-2020, 04:36 AM
1. First rounders can also be taken for a 2 year test drive, third year is team option
2. They also hit RFA a year earlier

Right, but a first round pick is guaranteed money according to their draft position. A second round pick is almost always much less expensive-- typically four years for about $6mil+ or three years for $4mil+ or below $1mil for a single season... peanuts in terms of an NBA contract. By comparison, Keldon Johnson-- a 29th pick-- is guaranteed $4mil for his first two seasons. Not a huge difference, but a difference.

rankingtear
11-14-2020, 05:35 AM
Right, but a first round pick is guaranteed money according to their draft position. A second round pick is almost always much less expensive-- typically four years for about $6mil+ or three years for $4mil+ or below $1mil for a single season... peanuts in terms of an NBA contract. By comparison, Keldon Johnson-- a 29th pick-- is guaranteed $4mil for his first two seasons. Not a huge difference, but a difference.

That is a 1.7 mil difference, Brogdon for example is making 18 mil in his fourth year that's 14 mil difference what he could have made if he was drafted 29th.

ZeusWillJudge
11-14-2020, 10:24 AM
Obi Toppin's SOS was 3.69 last season.

Yeah, I know... it's one of the things that really gives pause about him. If I was just looking at numbers, I wouldn't be thrilled with him at all because of it. I still think his offense will translate, but I also think he's most likely to be one-dimensional. On the right team, that's probably good enough.

Just for comparison - have you ever looked at Ja Morant's college SOS at Murray State? Yeah, it's not a misprint. I said it in some thread, maybe this one - if last year's ROY can come from Murray State, there's no reason why Toppin can't be a Top 10 pick this year, out of Dayton.

I didn't mean to say that a weak SOS is a hard and fast rule that means a player isn't good enough. But it is a yellow flag. You also have to look at how the player put up his numbers in college. A 7-footer who dominates smaller, slower players in the blocks doesn't impress me nearly as much a guy with handles and athleticism.

R. DeMurre
11-14-2020, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I know... it's one of the things that really gives pause about him. If I was just looking at numbers, I wouldn't be thrilled with him at all because of it. I still think his offense will translate, but I also think he's most likely to be one-dimensional. On the right team, that's probably good enough.

Just for comparison - have you ever looked at Ja Morant's college SOS at Murray State? Yeah, it's not a misprint. I said it in some thread, maybe this one - if last year's ROY can come from Murray State, there's no reason why Toppin can't be a Top 10 pick this year, out of Dayton.

I didn't mean to say that a weak SOS is a hard and fast rule that means a player isn't good enough. But it is a yellow flag. You also have to look at how the player put up his numbers in college. A 7-footer who dominates smaller, slower players in the blocks doesn't impress me nearly as much a guy with handles and athleticism.

Nice post.

For me, Toppin has the double whammy of weak SOS and advanced age. Despite just finishing his sophomore year, he's about a year older that Xavier Tillman, who just finished his junior year. He's two years older than Haliburton, and three years older than Wiseman. And Defense: Toppin doesn't even talk about it in interviews I've seen. It's like defense is not on his radar, even though every scouting report about him brings it up... to me, that's a third warning flag. Players from Wiseman to Tillman talk about it extensively, and a guy like Paul Reed says things like he wants to lead all rookies in rebounding, but Toppin is usually content to talk exclusively about scoring.

R. DeMurre
11-14-2020, 11:37 AM
That is a 1.7 mil difference, Brogdon for example is making 18 mil in his fourth year that's 14 mil difference what he could have made if he was drafted 29th.

Good point. Brogdon played it really smart.

exstatic
11-15-2020, 08:00 AM
Good point. Brogdon played it really smart.

What? Did he tell teams not to take him the first round? Anything else is just the luck of the draw.

R. DeMurre
11-15-2020, 12:31 PM
What? Did he tell teams not to take him the first round? Anything else is just the luck of the draw.

No, I just mean playing well and then working out a nice fat raise in his fourth year.

ZeusWillJudge
11-17-2020, 11:42 PM
If the draft comes anywhere close to the mocks, there are several players who could go undrafted that would be great pickups. I hope the Spurs have at least a 2-way contract ready for Kaleb Wesson, the moment #60 is called - assuming he really does go undrafted. I can't believe he might go undrafted.

He's a legit big man. He was too heavy his when he first went to college, but he lost weight and started looking really good. Word is he's down to about 250 now, and stronger than ever. He's a guy who can get in and root under the basket, but he also shot .420 from 3P last year, on a reasonable number of attempts for a big man. He's 6'9" barefoot, and has around a 7'3" wingspan. And he held up very well against some of the better bigs in the NCAA last year.

If he really does go undrafted, it would be a crime. But it would be a bigger crime not to be waiting for him if that happens.

Chinook
11-17-2020, 11:47 PM
If the draft comes anywhere close to the mocks, there are several players who could go undrafted that would be great pickups. I hope the Spurs have at least a 2-way contract ready for Kaleb Wesson, the moment #60 is called - assuming he really does go undrafted. I can't believe he might go undrafted.

He's a legit big man. He was too heavy his when he first went to college, but he lost weight and started looking really good. Word is he's down to about 250 now, and stronger than ever. He's a guy who can get in and root under the basket, but he also shot .420 from 3P last year, on a reasonable number of attempts for a big man. He's 6'9" barefoot, and has around a 7'3" wingspan. And he held up very well against some of the better bigs in the NCAA last year.

If he really does go undrafted, it would be a crime. But it would be a bigger crime not to be waiting for him if that happens.

I think there are a number of bigs who will be there at 41 and later because how many talented PGs are in the draft and how teams value wings so much. I don't think Oturu will be there anymore, but I could see the Spurs easily replacing Eubanks with their second or even a two-way UDFA.

rankingtear
11-17-2020, 11:53 PM

High on him too. Good passer, which is crucial for pick and a pick and pop Big. Reggie Perry is another one more athletic, dad is a coach skilled for age and Malik Fitts.

There seems to be a little consensus for Woodard at 41. Yam Madar is a good draft and stash flyer. Isiah Joe may be the best shooter in the draft can't defend though.

pad300
11-18-2020, 12:31 AM
I said it at the start of the thread (and for last years draft), Abdoulaye N'Doye is an NBA player. He might be another Danny Green - which is really good value at 41.

ZeusWillJudge
11-18-2020, 11:00 AM
High on him too. Good passer, which is crucial for pick and a pick and pop Big. Reggie Perry is another one more athletic, dad is a coach skilled for age and Malik Fitts.

There seems to be a little consensus for Woodard at 41. Yam Madar is a good draft and stash flyer. Isiah Joe may be the best shooter in the draft can't defend though.

I've read some crazy bad stuff about Wesson's athleticism - supposedly out of the "combine" they held this year. I don't have any way of knowing what is truth and what is rumor. If it's true, he's as earth-bound as Duncan was. And maybe that's going to keep him from being drafted. But I watched him play, and I watched him handle a number of bigger-name big men. I'm convinced he would have value in the NBA. Especially on a min contract as an undrafted free agent. (Did I mention that he shot 42% from 3P, on a decent number of attempts for a big man?)

We've got lots of other threads for predicting draft picks. All I'm saying is that if Wesson's name isn't called, I would really like to see the Spurs get him. Last year most of the best undrafted free agents got locked up on the first day.

R. DeMurre
02-28-2021, 07:45 PM
A lot of people here liked Paul Reed as a sleeper in the draft, and he's looking like the MVP of the G League right now, putting up 22.4 ppg, 11.3 rpg, 2.2 spg, & 2.1 bpg, while shooting about 65% from two & 43% from three. I've watched him in a few G League games and he looks like a very modern defender, who at 6'9" with a 7'2" wingspan switches seamlessly onto SFs and Cs. Good guy to keep an eye on for the future.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/r/reedpa01d.html

paperboy77
02-28-2021, 08:38 PM
A lot of people here liked Paul Reed as a sleeper in the draft, and he's looking like the MVP of the G League right now, putting up 22.4 ppg, 11.3 rpg, 2.2 spg, & 2.1 bpg, while shooting about 65% from two & 43% from three. I've watched him in a few G League games and he looks like a very modern defender, who at 6'9" with a 7'2" wingspan switches seamlessly onto SFs and Cs. Good guy to keep an eye on for the future.

I sure like him. Has some familiar moves offensively.

D-Robinson 50 fan
02-28-2021, 09:59 PM

I brought up how well he has been playing in the Austin Toros thread. He is balling and been efficient

exstatic
02-28-2021, 10:15 PM
I brought up how well he has been playing in the Austin Toros thread. He is balling and been efficient

Tankathon had him #17 on their big board.

bluebellmaniac
02-28-2021, 11:21 PM
Are you thinking of trading for him?

exstatic
02-28-2021, 11:37 PM
Are you thinking of trading for him?

If I were in a fantasy league, absolutely. Keep him for next year. I don’t, however, run the Spurs FO, and I doubt His current team would want to part with him.

bluebellmaniac
02-28-2021, 11:40 PM
Just window shopping then.

RC_Drunkford
03-07-2021, 05:41 AM
Garrison Brooks of UNC is a sleeper. Watched Duke vs UNC yesterday and he's the best player on that Tar Heels team. Seems like a typical Spurs type player and although his 3-point and free throw shooting numbers look bad, his midrange game is elite. He's projected as a late 2nd-rounder, but has all the tools to become an NBA player

R. DeMurre
03-09-2021, 02:17 AM
If I were in a fantasy league, absolutely. Keep him for next year. I don’t, however, run the Spurs FO, and I doubt His current team would want to part with him.

Reed's on a two way contract now and there's a chance he signs a regular contract with the 76ers to finish the year, but unless that's a multi-year deal, he'll be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

BackHome
03-09-2021, 11:55 AM
I really like the kid he impressed me if we were able to move Rudy or Mills to Philly I would want him in the trade.

Chinook
03-09-2021, 04:28 PM
Reed's on a two way contract now and there's a chance he signs a regular contract with the 76ers to finish the year, but unless that's a multi-year deal, he'll be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Nah. Two-way contracts always grant RFA rights to the team. Even if they for some reason converted his contract to a remainder-of-season deal, he should still be an RFA.

D-Robinson 50 fan
03-09-2021, 04:34 PM
I like the G league Ignite power forward Isaiah Todd if we draft in the low teens and 20’s

The Truth #6
03-09-2021, 07:11 PM
I like the G league Ignite power forward Isaiah Todd if we draft in the low teens and 20’s

ESPN interview/film session.

https://youtu.be/jRL5KgH5Auc

R. DeMurre
03-09-2021, 11:23 PM
Nah. Two-way contracts always grant RFA rights to the team. Even if they for some reason converted his contract to a remainder-of-season deal, he should still be an RFA.

:tuMy mistake-- yeah, RFA.