PDA

View Full Version : [News Article] Popovich misses Boban

Dejounte
09-01-2020, 01:39 PM
https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/content/i-felt-like-an-idiot-popovich-discusses-boban-marjanovic-leaving-the-spurs

First,

Let's get the basic conversations out of the way,

In before "SpURs aRe StUpID fOr LetTiNg gO oF BoBaN"

Boban is not going to make any team a contender. He's a solid backup center who contributes well.

What I'm more interested in is:

1) why players like Boban want to stay in SA, because let's face it, it's not because of the city
2) i think it's great insight to what the Spurs tell their own players, specifically when he says, "loyalty only goes so far"

lefty
09-01-2020, 01:42 PM
PlayBoban

MultiTroll
09-01-2020, 02:16 PM
:cry Spurs had to give Gasoft, Porker and Manu 15 million each. :cry

Spurs are stupid for letting go of Boban.

RC_Drunkford
09-01-2020, 02:39 PM
that 2016 team was the most loaded Spurs team ever. 15 deep, even our 3rd stringers ran through the opponents and extended leads in garbage time. I have no clue how we could lose to OKC cause Pop had to play West and Diaw together all the time. That Spurs vs. Warriors series would've been epic.

Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Aldridge, Nephew, Danny Green, Diaw, West, Boban, etc. on one team. You have to win a chip with that roster :pctoss

DJR210
09-01-2020, 03:43 PM
After Boban put on a show that night in Philly, I wanted them to supermax him

Uriel
09-01-2020, 03:46 PM
that 2016 team was the most loaded Spurs team ever. 15 deep, even our 3rd stringers ran through the opponents and extended leads in garbage time. I have no clue how we could lose to OKC cause Pop had to play West and Diaw together all the time. That Spurs vs. Warriors series would've been epic.

Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Aldridge, Nephew, Danny Green, Diaw, West, Boban, etc. on one team. You have to win a chip with that roster :pctoss
I remember Duncan injured his knee midway through that season and he was never the same since then. Probably would've won that OKC series if he had stayed healthy all year long.

Spurtacular
09-01-2020, 05:05 PM
Backup C my ass. Dude's good for 30-20.

RC_Drunkford
09-01-2020, 05:24 PM
I remember Duncan injured his knee midway through that season and he was never the same since then. Probably would've won that OKC series if he had stayed healthy all year long.

he was still a 10 points 10 rebounds per game big with elite rim protection. We would've won that series if Flopovich would've played Aldridge/Diaw Duncan/West instead of Aldridge/Duncan Diaw/West. Or if he had played Boban next to Diaw or West. But you know how Pop is

exstatic
09-01-2020, 05:24 PM

Yup, and that knee was the one he had likely overtaxed by favoring it over his braced one. That was literally the second wheel to fall off, and he retired.

daslicer
09-01-2020, 06:37 PM
he was still a 10 points 10 rebounds per game big with elite rim protection. We would've won that series if Flopovich would've played Aldridge/Diaw Duncan/West instead of Aldridge/Duncan Diaw/West. Or if he had played Boban next to Diaw or West. But you know how Pop is

Duncan looked real bad during the end of the regular season and into playoffs it continued. For me it was painful to watch him labor up the court. He reminded me a lot of Robert Parish during Parish's final years in the NBA with the Hornets and Bulls. I was just glad that in his final game he went out with a good game.

daslicer
09-01-2020, 06:47 PM

OKC was always a tough match up when you factor in the refs and them having the best player on the court in Durant. A lot of things went against the Spurs in that series. The way game 2 ended was controversial due to the refs screwing up at the end and costing the Spurs the game. Also LMA and #2 both had games where they just straight up choked in the series. I just remember how terrible #2 was in game 6 that Pop even benched him. After that game I didn't believe #2 had it in him to reach superstardom. Looking back it's very frustrating that the Spurs had to go through growing pains with #2 before he finally figured how to be consistent in the playoffs. Playing West and Diaw was terrible. Pop could have played Boban more but I don't think he would have helped much on the defensive end since he's slow footed and I can't imagine him protecting the rim from prime Durant/Westbrook. Ultimately Duncan having 2 bad knees really sunk the Spurs because they couldn't counter OKC's size. If the Spurs had 2015 Duncan then they would have won the series.

MarCowMar
09-01-2020, 11:49 PM
Sign Boban and Bol and lobby for a rules change that makes them useful defensively.

We must preserve our big men!

Play Boban
09-02-2020, 12:46 AM
PlayBoban (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49799)
Sup my dude. Good article OP.