PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Truth Nuke: Jim Duncan wouldn’t even be drafted in today’s nba tbh

Play Boban
09-04-2020, 02:01 PM
Too slow, too unskilled, can’t shoot, too immobile. Maybe he could have a solid career in China still, but no chance he could make it in today’s nba.

TimDunkem
09-04-2020, 02:17 PM
How bored are you?

daslicer
09-04-2020, 02:18 PM
How bored are you?

This

Play Boban
09-04-2020, 02:28 PM
How bored are you?
Is that a retort to the truth nuke just dropped on all of you?

Play Boban
09-04-2020, 02:29 PM
This
Prove me wrong. But you can’t because you know I’m right.

TimDunkem
09-04-2020, 02:29 PM
Very bored I take it.

Dirks_Finale
09-04-2020, 03:19 PM
Tim was pretty spry his first 8-9 years, though. Go back and watch the old playoff games in like 99 vs the Lakers.

And he already had a nice 20 foot jumper. I can not be convinced he couldn't step back and develop a reliable three if need be. Plus he was smarter than everyone on the court and still would be, so yeah...

MultiTroll
09-04-2020, 03:35 PM
0/10. Get some rest or whatever you need son. Come back with a real thread.

daslicer
09-04-2020, 03:44 PM
Tim was pretty spry his first 8-9 years, though. Go back and watch the old playoff games in like 99 vs the Lakers.

And he already had a nice 20 foot jumper. I can not be convinced he couldn't step back and develop a reliable three if need be. Plus he was smarter than everyone on the court and still would be, so yeah...

From '97-'06 he was super spry.From '06-'08 he started to lose his spryness. Then after '08 he had completely lost it.

Dirks_Finale
09-04-2020, 03:54 PM
Yeah, 08 Tim is sorta useless in this game today.

From '97-'06 he was super spry.From '06-'08 he started to lose his spryness. Then after '08 he had completely lost it.

JamStone
09-04-2020, 04:09 PM
Going undrafted is extreme, but I honestly do question Duncan’s career trajectory in today’s league. I look at a couple current bigs. Not the same type of player as Duncan, but more to illustrate how Duncan as still an elite talent might not have the same career success now.

Look at the guys now who are viewed as among the best of the current group of bigs. Anthony Davis, Joel Embiid. They’re both considered top players, sometimes top 10, Davis at some point in recent years maybe top 5. But even with the superstar production, they’ve never been viewed as one of the two or three best players in the league. They’re not viewed as the type of franchise player you can build a championship team around. They have to play Robin. Their low post scoring opportunities are limited if not marginalized. They have to be able to rely to some level on perimeter skill and be able to play in open court.

So when I think of Duncan playing now, it’s not that I think he couldn’t hang, but how almost all teams would use his talents much differently. He’d be more 30+ year old Duncan being a secondary offensive option to Tony Parker, except he’d be that from day 1 of his rookie season. So I do question if he’d win multiple League MVPs or be the centerpiece of a championship team. I think those are legitimate questions. But suggesting he’d go undrafted is too much.

JamStone
09-04-2020, 04:17 PM
For the record, I question how Shaq would fit in today’s game too.

He literally could not play defense against 75% of the league now.

Dirks_Finale
09-04-2020, 04:32 PM

Young and in shape Shaq would be fine. He was athletic enough to dominate down low and quick enough to check bigs on the perimeter.

The statistics tell us that two point shots need to hit at around a 60% clip in order to be as valuable as a 3 point shot in this day and age. And Shaq was at or around 60% for his entire career and that was before 6'5 centers existed :lol

Now, the bloated "I recover on company time" Shaq is Boban. Doesn't see the court much.

JamStone
09-04-2020, 05:08 PM
Tbh, that young, athletic Shaq running with guards and leading the break was only his first couple seasons. For sure, by the time he was with the Lakers he was too big, too heavy. Maybe out of shape is too harsh, but certainly not quick or mobile enough for today’s game.

Rummpd
09-04-2020, 05:29 PM
Basketball official here and changes in games come in waves - sure analytics favor shooting lots of threes over the mid-range but they also favor drives to hoop and I believe under a coach who encouraged he could of hit threes with practice, and although he could not jump as high or run as fast as some he had deceptive quickness and off the charts bb IQ and could adapt any era especially he was so non selfish. Winners never out of fashion!

daslicer
09-04-2020, 05:31 PM
Basketball official here and changes in games come in waves - sure analytics favor shooting lots of threes over the mid-range but they also favor drives to hoop and I believe under a coach who encouraged he could of hit threes with practice, and although he could not jump as high or run as fast as some he had deceptive quickness and off the charts bb IQ and could adapt any era especially he was so non selfish. Winners never out of fashion!

I look at Jokic a guy who is slow as fuck and has no leaping abilities dominate on the offensive end with his post game and have a hard time believing Tim wouldn't be great in this era.

dbreiden83080
09-04-2020, 05:42 PM
https://i.makeagif.com/media/7-13-2016/47RDT5.gif

JamStone
09-04-2020, 05:43 PM
Being great and having the same type of career he did are not the same. Expect Jokic to win multiple League MVPs and be the Finals MVP of multiple championship teams? Adapting, being a winner, being great. Take those out of the equation. In this era, would Tim Duncan win multiple MVPs, multiple championships as the franchise player, and go down as a top 10 player in league history? Is there any big man drafted in the past two decades that will have that type of career in today’s game?

dbreiden83080
09-04-2020, 05:44 PM

Yeah but put him down low and just keep passing it to him.. He's going for 50 a game.

JamStone
09-04-2020, 05:45 PM
Yeah but put him down low and just keep passing it to him.. He's going for 50 a game.

Play run-and-gun uptempo style and put him in pick-and-roll every time on defense, he dies of cardiac arrest by halftime.

dbreiden83080
09-04-2020, 05:48 PM
Play run-and-gun uptempo style and put him in pick-and-roll every time on defense, he dies of cardiac arrest by halftime.

He never played much D anyway. But he'd be dunking 40 times a game.. Hell even today Joel is at his worst when he comes off the block.. Trying to be that Big shooting 3's..

JamStone
09-04-2020, 05:59 PM
Big man PNR defense has changed, even more drastically just the last few years. Big men can’t drop in the lane anymore. They have to play up, they have to hedge the ball handler who is usually a good to great shooter, play man up on a guard if there’s a switch, and still have to recover to the roller if no switch. Makes you tired just thinking about it. Put Shaq in the PNR with Jamal Murray as the ball handler and for every dunk he makes, he’s giving up a wide open three pointer to a great three point shooter. At least on the other end, you can hack Shaq to prevent a dunk sometimes. Shaq dropping in the lane on PNR or having to play man up on a guard is game over.

The game has changed man.

dbreiden83080
09-04-2020, 06:08 PM
Big man PNR defense has changed, even more drastically just the last few years. Big men can’t drop in the lane anymore. They have to play up, they have to hedge the ball handler who is usually a good to great shooter, play man up on a guard if there’s a switch, and still have to recover to the roller if no switch. Makes you tired just thinking about it. Put Shaq in the PNR with Jamal Murray as the ball handler and for every dunk he makes, he’s giving up a wide open three pointer to a great three point shooter. At least on the other end, you can hack Shaq to prevent a dunk sometimes. Shaq dropping in the lane on PNR or having to play man up on a guard is game over.

Changed for the better or worse? Watching Giannis he can't do anything in the half court.. Give him a little of what Duncan or Hakeem had on the block and Heat would be down 2-0 right now.. Everything is head down to the basket.. And he can't shoot.. So a Big that can't shoot is going to win back to back League MVP's.. But everyone says the 6'11 guy must be a 3 PT shooter. Well he sucks at it..

And so the Jackson's and Riley's of the world would NOT want Shaq? Or they would build a great physical half court team around him? Sure guys like Duncan and Hakeem would do better on D because of their mobility than Shaq.. But Surround Shaq with great shooters.. You play to the strengths. Shaq and Kobe together today can't win? What do you think? Seems silly to me..

daslicer
09-04-2020, 06:41 PM
Being great and having the same type of career he did are not the same. Expect Jokic to win multiple League MVPs and be the Finals MVP of multiple championship teams? Adapting, being a winner, being great. Take those out of the equation. In this era, would Tim Duncan win multiple MVPs, multiple championships as the franchise player, and go down as a top 10 player in league history? Is there any big man drafted in the past two decades that will have that type of career in today’s game?

Jokic's inability to be a rim protector is what holds him back from being an MVP candidate. The biggest weakness in his game is he's a terrible interior defender and is not good at defensive rotations. Unfortunately he can't help it because he's not quick enough laterally to ever be great defender. Duncan would not have those problems since he had great mobility and lateral quickness when he was in his prime.

JamStone
09-04-2020, 06:52 PM
Changed for the better or worse? Watching Giannis he can't do anything in the half court.. Give him a little of what Duncan or Hakeem had on the block and Heat would be down 2-0 right now.. Everything is head down to the basket.. And he can't shoot.. So a Big that can't shoot is going to win back to back League MVP's.. But everyone says the 6'11 guy must be a 3 PT shooter. Well he sucks at it..

And so the Jackson's and Riley's of the world would NOT want Shaq? Or they would build a great physical half court team around him? Sure guys like Duncan and Hakeem would do better on D because of their mobility than Shaq.. But Surround Shaq with great shooters.. You play to the strengths. Shaq and Kobe together today can't win? What do you think? Seems silly to me..

It’s not an opinion piece on the state of the game. I didn’t say the game’s better. Just different. Even in the playoffs, there’s less and less halfcourt sets, at least the 20+ second, run multiple actions type sets. It’s transition, delayed transitioned, shoot the first open three, or drive and finish or drive and kick. Giannis is a 30 point scorer without being able to do anything in the halfcourt set.

Giannis is not a good shooter. But he’s 7 foot physical freak who fits today’s game because the uptempo style doesn’t negatively affect his style. Put the Shaq comparison aside. He fits today’s game because he has a similar style to LeBron in that he’s a freak who can play all five positions and handle the ball, rebound, push the break, and finish at the rim.

Phil Jackson would not be Phil Jackson in today’s game. And Riley would not want anything to do with 330+ pound Shaquille in today’s evolved game. In fact, I bet you Riley hated Shaq’s poor conditioning and got rid of him as quickly as he could after the championship.

JamStone
09-04-2020, 07:04 PM
Jokic's inability to be a rim protector is what holds him back from being an MVP candidate. The biggest weakness in his game is he's a terrible interior defender and is not good at defensive rotations. Unfortunately he can't help it because he's not quick enough laterally to ever be great defender. Duncan would not have those problems since he had great mobility and lateral quickness when he was in his prime.

Because defense is what prevented guys like Steve Nash and Steph Curry and Dirk and Harden from being MVPs over the past decade and a half...

Jokic isn’t an MVP candidate because in this offensive explosion of an era, a guy who scores 20 PPG might as well be scoring 12 PPG. There will be multiple players who hover around or over 30 PPG in today’s game, and they’ll always be viewed as MVP contenders. Right or wrong, agree or disagree, that’s just how it will be. Anthony Davis’ best season where he put up 28/11/2.6 blks/1.5 stls and led a shit Pels teams to their best record in like a decade, and he still finished behind Harden and LeBron for the MVP.

09-04-2020, 07:13 PM
If anything Jim would dominate even more in t:loldays nba tbh

Mitch
09-04-2020, 07:16 PM
Being a homosexual, it's quite likely he would be drafted #1 no matter since it'd be a good PR move. Rockets would love him :lol

Spurtacular
09-04-2020, 07:42 PM
Sure Duncan would be in the NBA. But would he get a lot of bench time like Capella, Boban, etc?

Dirks_Finale
09-04-2020, 07:46 PM
Once Shaq got that first title he started piling on weight and it would be over for him. His pick n roll defense was maybe the worst in the NBA. Really would have required him slimming down and he just never had such discipline.

Dirks_Finale
09-04-2020, 07:56 PM
Sure Duncan would be in the NBA. But would he get a lot of bench time like Capella, Boban, etc?

Boban can actually make a FT. :lol

daslicer
09-04-2020, 08:01 PM
Because defense is what prevented guys like Steve Nash and Steph Curry and Dirk and Harden from being MVPs over the past decade and a half...

Jokic isn’t an MVP candidate because in this offensive explosion of an era, a guy who scores 20 PPG might as well be scoring 12 PPG. There will be multiple players who hover around or over 30 PPG in today’s game, and they’ll always be viewed as MVP contenders. Right or wrong, agree or disagree, that’s just how it will be. Anthony Davis’ best season where he put up 28/11/2.6 blks/1.5 stls and led a shit Pels teams to their best record in like a decade, and he still finished behind Harden and LeBron for the MVP.

1. You are right about Harden,Dirk,Nash,Curry. I didn't consider them when I thought about the defensive aspect of my argument. I was just factoring in why I feel Jokic is flawed. It's possible Jokic could win an MVP if the Nuggets have a break through season of winning 60 plus games and finish with the best record in the league. Winning I still believe helps tremendously in winning the MVP. Think about it Nash won 2 MVP's and it was mainly due to leading his Sun teams to elite records.
2. Davis was never going to get the MVP simply because his Pels didn't finish with a top 4 record. Westbrook is the only guy in the last 40 years to win the MVP and not have a team with a top 4 record so it's rare you are going to get the award if your team is not elite.

AlexJones
09-04-2020, 08:04 PM
There's no way he'd sniff top 5 today. He'd be better than Gobert still, but come on.

Neo.
09-04-2020, 08:20 PM

It’s not an opinion piece on the state of the game. I didn’t say the game’s better. Just different. Even in the playoffs, there’s less and less halfcourt sets, at least the 20+ second, run multiple actions type sets. It’s transition, delayed transitioned, shoot the first open three, or drive and finish or drive and kick. Giannis is a 30 point scorer without being able to do anything in the halfcourt set.

Giannis is not a good shooter. But he’s 7 foot physical freak who fits today’s game because the uptempo style doesn’t negatively affect his style. Put the Shaq comparison aside. He fits today’s game because he has a similar style to LeBron in that he’s a freak who can play all five positions and handle the ball, rebound, push the break, and finish at the rim.

Phil Jackson would not be Phil Jackson in today’s game. And Riley would not want anything to do with 330+ pound Shaquille in today’s evolved game. In fact, I bet you Riley hated Shaq’s poor conditioning and got rid of him as quickly as he could after the championship.

all this tbh :toast

plus the way you are allowed to defend the post is much different now as well, with zone defense being allowed. it allows much more strategy for denying the ball getting into the post cleanly. previously, you either had to blatantly send a double or it was an illegal defense. but with zone being allowed, teams can shade to discourage the entry pass much differently. the 04 Pistons were a perfect example of this in how they defended shaq in the finals. once shaq got the ball, it was pretty much an easy bucket, he could have averaged 40ppg that series, but they did such a good job denying him the ball in spots he was comfortable, that he just didn't get nearly as many opportunities as he would have liked. so many times they just couldn't cleanly get it into him, and had to leave it to kobe to find some way to make something out of nothing with a short shot clock against a defense full of wings who could make him work. take away the allowing of zone defense, and i highly doubt detroit wins that series.

its just not as easy anymore to consistently get clean passes into the post with room to operate, even with a bunch of three point shooters around. defensive strategy has evolved to help reduce the effectiveness of low post players.

Spurtacular
09-04-2020, 08:20 PM
Once Shaq got that first title he started piling on weight and it would be over for him. His pick n roll defense was maybe the worst in the NBA. Really would have required him slimming down and he just never had such discipline.

But he could shoot 80 FG on dunks against these center-less teams.

Dirks_Finale
09-04-2020, 08:23 PM
But he could shoot 80 FG on dunks against these center-less teams.

What about his pathetic pick n roll defense though? You think he could get away with it in this day and age?

Spurtacular
09-04-2020, 08:27 PM
What about his pathetic pick n roll defense though? You think he could get away with it in this day and age?

He'd have had to retired five years earlier or gotten in better shape; but I think you're over thinking it some.

Play Boban
09-04-2020, 09:47 PM

Shaq would have a nice career in China imho

TimDunkem
09-04-2020, 11:22 PM
I know one thing. Young Dunc wouldn't be getting shit on by P.J. Tucker.

Kyle_Kuzma
09-04-2020, 11:30 PM
Too slow, too unskilled, can’t shoot, too immobile. Maybe he could have a solid career in China still, but no chance he could make it in today’s nba.
duncan would be a rich man jahlil okafor :lol they both have the same offensive skill set

back to the basket big men are dead. he’d still be a starter because of his defense but he’s pretty much useless offensively. 15 ppg and 10 rpg would be his ceiling.

he’d be a top 7 big man for sure, above deandre ayton and steven adams.

daslicer
09-05-2020, 12:04 AM
duncan would be a rich man jahlil okafor :lol they both have the same offensive skill set

back to the basket big men are dead. he’d still be a starter because of his defense but he’s pretty much useless offensively. 15 ppg and 10 rpg would be his ceiling.

:lol Just because your boy AD can't back down PJ Tucker and Harden doesn't mean back to the basket style of play isn't effective.

daslicer
09-05-2020, 12:04 AM

:lol Just because your boy AD can't back down PJ Tucker and Harden doesn't mean back to the basket style of play isn't effective.

Kyle_Kuzma
09-05-2020, 12:15 AM
come on bruh. i like duncan tbh but what i spit is nothing but truth.

duncan wouldn’t be a top 10 player in this association.

kawhi
lebron
harden
giannis
steph
KD
Luka
AD
tatum
lillard
donovan mitchell
jimmy butler
cp3

would all be in front of duncan

ya cant build a championship with a center in today’s era.

prime kobe would be a god if he played in today’s game:lol

daslicer
09-05-2020, 12:32 AM
come on bruh. i like duncan tbh but what i spit is nothing but truth.

duncan wouldn’t be a top 10 player in this association.

kawhi
lebron
harden
giannis
steph
KD
Luka
AD
tatum
lillard
donovan mitchell
jimmy butler
cp3

would all be in front of duncan

ya cant build a championship with a center in today’s era.

prime kobe would be a god if he played in today’s game:lol

The only big man today that has a legit back to the basket game is Jokic and very few guys can guard him. No way would you ever see Harden or PJ Tucker trying to guard him. Only reason Jokic is not a top 5 player is because he's a poor defender and limited on the defensive end. Hard for me not to see Duncan not being even more dominant on the offensive end after watching what Jokic is doing. Duncan would be able to dominant the defensive end unlike Jokic.

Playing back to the basket is lost art. It's why AD and Giannis are both getting exposed right now because both don't have the ability to play that type of game. AD can't do it simply because he's not strong enough to do it. Giannis can't do it because he never developed the footwork and fundamental skill set to do it.

apalisoc_9
09-05-2020, 12:35 AM
Nah.

Peak Duncan would easily be the 2nd best player today. Probably even the best player.

That homo was a champion and the smartest superstar i have ever seen play the game of basketball.

Kyle_Kuzma
09-05-2020, 12:52 AM
The only big man today that has a legit back to the basket game is Jokic and very few guys can guard him. No way would you ever see Harden or PJ Tucker trying to guard him. Only reason Jokic is not a top 5 player is because he's a poor defender and limited on the defensive end. Hard for me not to see Duncan not being even more dominant on the offensive end after watching what Jokic is doing. Duncan would be able to dominant the defensive end unlike Jokic.

Playing back to the basket is lost art. It's why AD and Giannis are both getting exposed right now because both don't have the ability to play that type of game. AD can't do it simply because he's not strong enough to do it. Giannis can't do it because he never developed the footwork and fundamental skill set to do it.

if jokic is your standard, be advised that he’s ineffective as seen in the playoffs :lol

jamal murray had to drop 2 50 pt games to carry that bamma to the second round :lol

AD is a soft ass bitch but he’s still much more valuable than duncan because of his offense.

defensively it’s a tie. dont think duncan can guard perimeter players like AD so by virtue, brow would be ranked higher in today’s association.

duncan as the 1st option on any team would either make um worse or you wont see a significant improvement.

replace giannis with prime duncan and the heat would still run circles on that bucks team, fasho.

this is not an insult, its just the reality of today’s low quality, trash game.

Kyle_Kuzma
09-05-2020, 12:57 AM
Nah.

Peak Duncan would easily be the 2nd best player today. Probably even the best player.

That homo was a champion and the smartest superstar i have ever seen play the game of basketball.

:lol...the “smartest” angle is probably one of the dumbest take tbh.

there’s plenty of dumb players with championship rangs.

talent/organization >*

daslicer
09-05-2020, 01:23 AM
if jokic is your standard, be advised that he’s ineffective as seen in the playoffs :lol

jamal murray had to drop 2 50 pt games to carry that bamma to the second round :lol

AD is a soft ass bitch but he’s still much more valuable than duncan because of his offense.

defensively it’s a tie. dont think duncan can guard perimeter players like AD so by virtue, brow would be ranked higher in today’s association.

duncan as the 1st option on any team would either make um worse or you wont see a significant improvement.

replace giannis with prime duncan and the heat would still run circles on that bucks team, fasho.

this is not an insult, its just the reality of today’s low quality, trash game.

1. Jokic was the reason why the nuggest won the series. Murray was terrible in game 7. It was Jokic that nuggets went to in the 4 quarter to win the game and get buckets. For a bum Jokic average 26 pts and 8 rebound along with 5 assists on above 50 percent shooting. I know you will bring up Murray's 50 point games but Jokic's presence on the court plays a huge role in Murray being able to get easy buckets. Jokic was also statistically better than Murray in the playoffs last year. Last year Jokic in the playoffs average 25-13-8 on 50 percent shooting while Murray averaged 21-4-4 on 42 percent shooting. It's clear Jokic is the best player on the Nuggets. Go ask Nuggets fans who they value more and they will tell you it's Jokic.

2. Only thing AD does better on the offensive end compared to prime Duncan is he's a much better jump shooter. I'm not a fan of AD's game and never have been. He's in the mold of a Garnett-Robinson-Bosh type of bigman which is he's reliant on shooting jumpers and slashing to the basket to get his on the offensive end but has little to no post up game. It's why Houston can get away with guarding him with midgets and force the Lakers to play their game. Historically you don't win with those type of bigs as your number 1 option. I don't see prime Duncan struggling defensively he was great at switching on rotations and also has higher IQ than AD on the defensive end.

3. :lol Duncan would not struggle against Bam Adebyo. The problem with Giannis game is he's a 7 ft Russell Westbrook. He's reliant just barreling his way to the basket for a lay up or a dunk. He has no counters to doing anything else once a team forms a wall around him. It's what has hurt the bucks down the stretch when the game has gotten close against the Heat in the 4th quarter. Duncan again is great at switching so I don't see how he would have any problems defending against the Heat.

Arcadian
09-05-2020, 02:10 AM

And then in 2011 he somehow got better again, culminating in his First Team All-NBA selection in 2013.

TDfan2007
09-05-2020, 11:25 AM
So... I'm confused. When are we saying this modern NBA started? Because Tim Duncan, on one knee, was the best player on a championship team in 2014, and was a bounce away from being finals mvp in 2013. He was smart and skilled enough to transition from the best post big in the league to arguably the best PNR big in the league by 2013. He could've adjusted to anything.

Prime Timmy could hit the outside shot, had a faceup offensive game, and was one of the few bigs in the league along with Garnett and Wallace who could hedge on 3 point shooters and recover to his man/protect the rim. He routinely took guys off the dribble and either finished at the rim or made one of his finesse moves to score. He was much more than a low post scorer.

Just imagine today's "switch everything" defense putting a guard on prime Timmy...he would average 30 or 20 and 7-8 assists depending on the team's double strategy.

Embiid and Jokic are both arguably top 10 players in today's game. Timmy was better than both. Surround that man with shooters, and one perimeter play maker, even today, and it's over.

TDfan2007
09-05-2020, 12:16 PM
For a taste of how prime Tim Duncan would fare in today's league, let's see how he did in the playoffs vs the 2005 run and gun Suns.

27.4 ppg 13.8 rpg 3.2 apg 1.8 bpg shooting 53% from the field. Spurs win 4-1.

Mind you, Tim was playing on 2 bum ankles in this series, and at times had to guard guys like Quentin Richardson due to matchups

I think he would've been just fine :lol

Play Boban
09-05-2020, 12:24 PM
For a taste of how prime Tim Duncan would fare in today's league, let's see how he did in the playoffs vs the 2005 run and gun Suns.

Mind you, Tim was playing on 2 bum ankles in this series, and at times had to guard guys like Quentin Richardson due to matchups

Denial isn’t just a river in Egypt :lmao

TDfan2007
09-05-2020, 12:47 PM
Denial isn’t just a river in Egypt :lmao

Have you seen the trailer for Death on the Nile? Looks dope

TimDunkem
09-05-2020, 12:50 PM
Tim Duncan was also killing AD on one leg in 2016 so...

JamStone
09-05-2020, 01:27 PM

If you add the 2005 Phoenix Suns to the 2019-20 NBA, they’d rank 28th (out of 31 teams) in FGA, dead last in 3PTA, 21st in scoring, 30th in pace of play, ahead of only the Charlotte Hornets. Not really an accurate representation of today’s league.

And I believe that’s the series the mobile, jumpshooting big man in Stoudemire averaged like 37-38 points on Tim and the Spurs.

dbreiden83080
09-05-2020, 02:32 PM

Suns Averaged 110 PPG that year. The way the refs call it in 2020 they'd score around 160..

TDfan2007
09-05-2020, 08:15 PM
If you add the 2005 Phoenix Suns to the 2019-20 NBA, they’d rank 28th (out of 31 teams) in FGA, dead last in 3PTA, 21st in scoring, 30th in pace of play, ahead of only the Charlotte Hornets. Not really an accurate representation of today’s league.

And I believe that’s the series the mobile, jumpshooting big man in Stoudemire averaged like 37-38 points on Tim and the Spurs.

30th in pace? Well I'll be damned :lol times have changed.

Regardless, if a peg-legged Tim Duncan could maintain all star level play in 2015, I think prime Timmy would be just fine. Best player in the league? Maybe not. Top 5-10? I'd say easily

dbreiden83080
09-05-2020, 08:44 PM
30th in pace? Well I'll be damned :lol times have changed.

Regardless, if a peg-legged Tim Duncan could maintain all star level play in 2015, I think prime Timmy would be just fine. Best player in the league? Maybe not. Top 5-10? I'd say easily

If we put Giannis on the 99 Spurs and take Tim off.. Is he ever going to score the ball? Good Luck..

"Slow pace create my own shot half court.. Uh I am Fucked"

Play Boban
09-10-2020, 02:17 PM
If we put Giannis on the 99 Spurs and take Tim off.. Is he ever going to score the ball? Good Luck..

"Slow pace create my own shot half court.. Uh I am Fucked"
Giannis would destroy the nba in 99. The talent level back then was so much lower he’d probably score 50 a game and Michael Jordan would be relegated to the second best player, way behind Giannis. In today’s nba Jordan would just be a glorified late career Dwayne Wade imho. A consistent 14 ppg scorer who can’t shoot.

Play Boban
09-10-2020, 02:19 PM
If you think Jordan would even sniff an All Star Game in today’s nba I’ve got some beachfront property in San Antonio to sell you. :lmao

lefty
09-10-2020, 02:46 PM

no

if those Suns played today they would take more FGA 3PTFGA etc

lefty
09-10-2020, 02:47 PM
If you think Jordan would even sniff an All Star Game in today’s nba I’ve got some beachfront property in San Antonio to sell you. :lmao:lol Jordan would have his ass handed to him if he played today tbh

TDfan2007
09-10-2020, 07:44 PM
Not sure if this is all just a schtick/trolling, or if y'all are that stupid. PlayBoban needs meds. Lefty...idk. I feel like you're just pushing back against the "today's NBA" crowd.

Either way, Jordan would dominate today, seeing as how a lesser version of him is arguably the best player in the league right now...so there's that.

Plus, that psycho wouldn't need to make up stories to get himself going in today's league. He'd just need a Twitter account :lol

Dirks_Finale
09-10-2020, 07:53 PM
:lol Jordan would have his ass handed to him if he played today tbh

By who?

They would all be scared lil biznitches genuflecting to the GOAT, tbh :lol

Pretty sure Lebron would be pulling all the strings he could to be his Pippen :lol

Dirks_Finale
09-10-2020, 07:55 PM
Not sure if this is all just a schtick/trolling, or if y'all are that stupid. PlayBoban needs meds. Lefty...idk. I feel like you're just pushing back against the "today's NBA" crowd.

Either way, Jordan would dominate today, seeing as how a lesser version of him is arguably the best player in the league right now...so there's that.

Plus, that psycho wouldn't need to make up stories to get himself going in today's league. He'd just need a Twitter account :lol

It is :lol

Play Boban
09-10-2020, 10:46 PM
Can you explain to me how a guard who can’t shoot and gets his points off low efficiency twos would be a star in this league? MJ would be lucky to even be a starter imho. He’d be an offensive liability in today’s nba.

Play Boban
09-10-2020, 10:49 PM
:lol Jordan would have his ass handed to him if he played today tbh
Truth nuke. Great minds thinks alike tbh :smokin

Dirks_Finale
09-11-2020, 12:10 PM
So the guy who worked harder than everyone else in his era wouldn't develop a better 3 point shot in this era...why?

Can you explain to me how a guard who can’t shoot and gets his points off low efficiency twos would be a star in this league? MJ would be lucky to even be a starter imho. He’d be an offensive liability in today’s nba.

Play Boban
09-11-2020, 12:48 PM
So the guy who worked harder than everyone else in his era wouldn't develop a better 3 point shot in this era...why?
He didn’t have the skill. If he did he would’ve made threes in his era. As it was he was a terrible shooter. 3 points is 3 points and we had the same 3 point line rule back then tbqh and yet Jordan couldn’t cut it. An overrated player imho.

09-11-2020, 12:54 PM
By who?

They would all be scared lil biznitches genuflecting to the GOAT, tbh :lol

Pretty sure Lebron would be pulling all the strings he could to be his Pippen :lol

:lol tbh ...

Dirks_Finale
09-11-2020, 01:30 PM
:lol tbh ...

:lol

Dirks_Finale
09-11-2020, 01:34 PM
He didn’t have the skill. If he did he would’ve made threes in his era. As it was he was a terrible shooter. 3 points is 3 points and we had the same 3 point line rule back then tbqh and yet Jordan couldn’t cut it. An overrated player imho.

That's because it was considered a bad shot. Jason Kidd was a horrific brick layer who developed a nice 3 point shot. Jordan would have done the same. His range wouldn't be that of Curry or Durant, but he'd at least have a decent corner 3.

Play Boban
09-11-2020, 01:59 PM
That's because it was considered a bad shot. Jason Kidd was a horrific brick layer who developed a nice 3 point shot. Jordan would have done the same. His range wouldn't be that of Curry or Durant, but he'd at least have a decent corner 3.
It was just as good of a shot then as now. Three points is three points. He just didn’t that’s the talent. He’d be lucky to be a rotation player in today’s nba imho.

Buddy Mignon
09-11-2020, 10:49 PM

I don't agree with you... he and Karl Townes are basically the same exact player. Carbon copies.

phxspurfan
09-11-2020, 10:53 PM
Unbelievably stupid take.

dbreiden83080
09-16-2020, 07:10 AM

He would develop a more credible three point shot obviously. But he wouldn’t have to overshoot the three. That would limit his game. Nobody can stop his mid range attack. And nobody can stop him from getting to the basket especially in his youth. He’s one guy nobody should ever be questioning dominance in today’s game. You can’t even touch him. The Pistons would clothesline him to the deck and he still was averaging 35 a game.

dbreiden83080
09-16-2020, 07:11 AM

In a league in which James Harden is winning scoring titles, you have somebody claiming that Michael Jordan would be ineffective. That is some serious trolling.

dbreiden83080
09-16-2020, 07:15 AM
Giannis would destroy the nba in 99. The talent level back then was so much lower he’d probably score 50 a game and Michael Jordan would be relegated to the second best player, way behind Giannis. In today’s nba Jordan would just be a glorified late career Dwayne Wade imho. A consistent 14 ppg scorer who can’t shoot.

Do you honestly believe this guy is a better athlete and more skilled basketball player than a prime version of David Robinson? Did you actually watch David play in his youth? David could shoot the mid range jumpshot. David could score easily in the half court setting. He was a monster defensively. He could run the court like a deer. I’m not hearing any explanation for how Giannis is going to score the basketball with a slower pace and a half court setting. He can’t shoot, he has no low post moves, he doesn’t even make that many free throws. So what?

Kawhitstorm
09-16-2020, 08:44 AM

Amare averaged 37 b/c the strategy was not to help off shooters on PnR (3 > 2)

Play Boban
09-16-2020, 08:51 AM
Do you honestly believe this guy is a better athlete and more skilled basketball player than a prime version of David Robinson? Did you actually watch David play in his youth? David could shoot the mid range jumpshot. David could score easily in the half court setting. He was a monster defensively. He could run the court like a deer. I’m not hearing any explanation for how Giannis is going to score the basketball with a slower pace and a half court setting. He can’t shoot, he has no low post moves, he doesn’t even make that many free throws. So what?
Yes, I watched my man DRob and he is not made for today’s NBA. He would have to work his way up through the G league.

Play Boban
09-16-2020, 08:52 AM
He would develop a more credible three point shot obviously. But he wouldn’t have to overshoot the three. That would limit his game. Nobody can stop his mid range attack. And nobody can stop him from getting to the basket especially in his youth. He’s one guy nobody should ever be questioning dominance in today’s game. You can’t even touch him. The Pistons would clothesline him to the deck and he still was averaging 35 a game.
Three point shots don’t grow on trees. If he could shoot better, he would’ve in his era. But he didn’t have the talent of today’s cats, so he never was able to.

Play Boban
09-16-2020, 08:53 AM
In a league in which James Harden is winning scoring titles, you have somebody claiming that Michael Jordan would be ineffective. That is some serious trolling.
Ad hominem attack per par, can’t argue with my truth nukes

dbreiden83080
09-16-2020, 09:18 AM
Three point shots don’t grow on trees. If he could shoot better, he would’ve in his era. But he didn’t have the talent of today’s cats, so he never was able to.

When he came into the league he was known as a great athlete, defensive player that simply drove to the basket. Second half of his career he destroyed everybody with his mid range attack. Hell he had a great mid range game only a few seasons into his career. Even though he was still driving more. He can’t develop a three point shot? You’re kidding yourself.

dbreiden83080
09-16-2020, 09:21 AM
Yes, I watched my man DRob and he is not made for today’s NBA. He would have to work his way up through the G league.

He has everything that Giannis has athletically plus a diverse basketball skill set that Giannis doesn’t have. When all I have to do defensively is build a wall to prevent you from going to the basket to shut down your offensive repertoire. Your skill set sucks. I don’t need a team full of a plus athletes to stop that.

Kyle_Kuzma
09-16-2020, 09:28 AM
if your big cant hit a three or make plays for others, he’d be sitting on the bench on this era :lol

dbreiden83080
09-16-2020, 09:30 AM
if your big cant hit a three or make plays for others, he’d be sitting on the bench on this era :lol

Giannis Three point attempts are comical at best. He also can’t shoot the ball from 15, 20 feet hell He can barely shoot the ball from 5 feet.

Floyd Pacquiao
09-16-2020, 09:31 AM
https://youtu.be/yNGkYsMYKhE
old gimpy Duncan taking over a close out game against Ibaka Durant and Westbrook. You mean to tell me a young Duncan couldn’t dominate those same players who are in the league today?

dbreiden83080
09-16-2020, 09:35 AM
https://youtu.be/yNGkYsMYKhE
old gimpy Duncan taking over a close out game against Ibaka Durant and Westbrook. You mean to tell me a young Duncan couldn’t dominate those same players who are in the league today?

To stop Tim Duncan from scoring the basketball you had to do more than build a wall to cut off driving lanes. The lack of skill sets from the big Man today is pathetic.

Play Boban
09-19-2020, 09:20 AM
When he came into the league he was known as a great athlete, defensive player that simply drove to the basket. Second half of his career he destroyed everybody with his mid range attack. Hell he had a great mid range game only a few seasons into his career. Even though he was still driving more. He can’t develop a three point shot? You’re kidding yourself.
If he could develop a three point shot, why didn’t he? Are you saying he was lazy?

Play Boban
09-19-2020, 09:21 AM
lakerfan gets it imho

dbreiden83080
09-19-2020, 09:27 AM
If he could develop a three point shot, why didn’t he? Are you saying he was lazy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03GT8q3BCZY

Jordan would average 40 today easily.. Again Harden puts up 35. Yeah Harden.. That's the dude in todays game that would be checking Mike..

Whew look at that suffocating D..

https://i.insider.com/53553afa6bb3f77d58a35745?width=400&format=gif

Play Boban
09-20-2020, 10:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03GT8q3BCZY

Jordan would average 40 today easily.. Again Harden puts up 35. Yeah Harden.. That's the dude in todays game that would be checking Mike..

Whew look at that suffocating D..

https://i.insider.com/53553afa6bb3f77d58a35745?width=400&format=gif
:lmao trash take :lmao

dbreiden83080
09-22-2020, 05:59 AM
:lmao trash take :lmao

"Play Boban" Average Take

"Jordan is garbage"

"Yeah that's all"..

Spurtacular
09-22-2020, 09:56 PM
Watching a conference finals featuring Howard, Millsap, etc. And even shitty Anthony Davis being discussed as best player in the playoffs.

SMH that this thread was made, tbh.