PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Who is your Non-Narrative driven Top 5 players in the NBA....

apalisoc_9
09-05-2020, 12:27 AM
Number 1 is very obvious if you've cared to watch any games the last couple years.

1. Playoff Kawhi is just in a different universe right now

Big Gap

2. Frauden consistently competing against the supposed "best" teams with significantly weaker personnel. Warriors and Now lakers.

Big Gap

3. Lebron
4. Luka
5. Giannis

Enough with the nonsense casual take of

"Top 5 is interchangeable"

Ofcourse next season, Steph and KD can easily comeback and I suspect Durant and Kawhi will be the best players in the NBA with frauden just behind them

anon
09-05-2020, 12:34 AM
Kawhi
Tatum
Leborn
Harden
Doncic

Wasn't it you who posted that medical article about players fresh off a major tissue injury needing a minimum of two seasons to even approach their prior production. I kinda believe that since it tallies w/ the eye test. Porzingis 1st year from an ACL doesn't look half of what he was in NYC. Bearish on Durant worldbeater come back on year 1 for this reason.

apalisoc_9
09-05-2020, 12:38 AM
Kawhi
Tatum
Leborn
Harden
Doncic

Wasn't it you who posted that medical article about players fresh off a major tissue injury needing a minimum of two seasons to even approach their prior production. I kinda believe that since it tallies w/ the eye test. Porzingis 1st year from an ACL doesn't look half of what he was in NYC. Bearish on Durant worldbeater come back on year 1 for this reason.

Durant could make next year interesting at least. If Giannis stays and rots with the Bucks, I don't think anyone can make it interesting against a kawhi team..

Giannis playing with a great team, durant returning and gelling with kyrie...

Should be a fun season.

Otjherwise a healthy clippers team wins another boring tittle.

anon
09-05-2020, 12:43 AM
Durant could make next year interesting at least. If Giannis stays and rots with the Bucks, I don't think anyone can make it interesting against a kawhi team..

Giannis playing with a great team, durant returning and gelling with kyrie...

Should be a fun season.

Otjherwise a healthy clippers team wins another boring tittle.

Next year the east is going to be a threeway slugfest between the Cs, Brooklyn & Miami, assuming Attemptafreethrow doesn't demand a trade & meekly waits for his contract to finish.

In the west, obvious challengers are the Mavs & one of GS, Denver & Portland depending on whether one of these franchises add Beal or Jrue to their rosters

R. DeMurre
So you're saying Harden is the second best player on the planet, but he's still a "fraud?" That seems like a narrative driven take if ever there was one.

daslicer
Warriors will be interesting next year if Klay can bounce back from injury especially with that #2 pick.

Clipper Nation
09-05-2020, 12:47 AM
Kawhi
LeBron
Luka
Curry
Giannis

apalisoc_9
09-05-2020, 01:00 AM
So you're saying Harden is the second best player on the planet, but he's still a "fraud?" That seems like a narrative driven take if ever there was one.

Just a choker but still one of the most competitive players today. and if anything Frauden is never rated that high despite being one of the best the last 3 years

Robz4000
09-05-2020, 01:13 AM
Nephew
Antetokounmpo
Harden
LeBron
Lollard

HM: Doncic

JamStone
09-05-2020, 01:19 AM
Jokic
Anthony Davis
Joel Embiid
KAT
Vucevic

Duncan would clearly still be the best or second best player in the league today.

daslicer
09-05-2020, 01:27 AM
Jokic
Anthony Davis
Joel Embiid
KAT
Vucevic

Duncan would clearly still be the best or second best player in the league today.

To be fair I think if Jabbar,Olajuwon came out today they would also be the best or second best. So yeah any skilled big man with a back to the basket game like Jabbar-Olajuwon-Duncan would be in the running to be the best player in the league.

JamStone
09-05-2020, 01:50 AM
Skilled big man with back to the baker game... so Jermaine O’Neal, Carlos Boozer would be in the running for best player in the league too?

daslicer
09-05-2020, 01:51 AM
Skilled big man with back to the baker game... so Jermaine O’Neal, Carlos Boozer would be in the running for best player in the league too?

Was Jermaine Oneal and Boozer as good as Duncan-Jabbar-Olajuwon?

AlexJones
09-05-2020, 02:01 AM
Harden, Kawhi, Giannis, LJ, Doncic

NFL: Mahomes, Lamar, Wilson, Deshaun, Dak

JamStone
09-05-2020, 02:02 AM
In the low post, as skilled back to the basket players, yeah, pretty close. Boozer especially.

What separates guys like Kareem, Hakeem, Duncan from them wasn’t their back to the basket skills.

R. DeMurre
09-05-2020, 02:24 AM
Just a choker but still one of the most competitive players today. and if anything Frauden is never rated that high despite being one of the best the last 3 years

He finished second, first, and second in the last three MVP votes. I'd say that's a pretty consistently high rating over three years. Your way of looking at players is so contrarian. On the one hand, he's "never rated high enough," and he's the second best player on the planet, but also he's a fraud and a choker. Ridiculous.

spurraider21
09-05-2020, 03:37 AM
In the low post, as skilled back to the basket players, yeah, pretty close. Boozer especially.

What separates guys like Kareem, Hakeem, Duncan from them wasn’t their back to the basket skills.
wait you think carlos boozer in the low post was pretty close in skill to hakeem or duncan?

JamStone
09-05-2020, 03:50 AM
wait you think carlos boozer in the low post was pretty close in skill to hakeem or duncan?

Effectiveness, efficiency, sure.

I actually think Hakeem in the low post is way better than anyone ever, including Duncan. But it’s about putting the ball in the basket and scoring. Boozer didn’t have quite the moves Hakeem had. But give him the ball in the post with his back to the basket, and he’ll score at a pretty efficient clip.

Scoring in the low post is not the major differentiating factor between Boozer and those greats.

Rummpd
09-05-2020, 07:20 AM
LaHype James 3-8 When it counts most
DaQuit Davis - no significant playoff moments but a stat king
Bam Bam outplaying pseudo DVP/2x MVP
Tatum perhaps most underrated player in NBA
Butler surprising critics and showing heart

All time is that while Hakeem outplayed DR after MVP season but Robinson also had fine stats despite no help and being often triple team but narrative is DR stunk - reality is Hakeem maybe most skilled offensive big ever and could not miss but DR also got no help.

99 Problems
09-05-2020, 07:55 AM
Only got 4.
Whi
Bron
Millsy
Luka

TDfan2007
09-05-2020, 12:50 PM
Jokic
Anthony Davis
Joel Embiid
KAT
Vucevic

Solid list, tbh

ambchang
09-05-2020, 02:37 PM
Hardens the second best player in this league is proof enough for :lol today’s nba.

TD 21
09-05-2020, 02:55 PM
Scumbag rested 110 games in 3 years, first unwittingly ended up on the most complete team in the league, then blackmailed his way into doing so elsewhere, has received oodles of opponent injury luck too and now all of a sudden he's beyond reproach?

It's funny, hipster media/fans supposedly despise mid rangers except when it's him shoulder checking some helpless opponent and shooting uncontested ones. Then suddenly they've amazing.

Mr. Tunnel Vision is as tainted as Curry and Durant. They've all cheated themselves and the game and forfeited the right to ever be considered among the true all time greats, who didn't need contrived/pristine circumstances to thrive.

daslicer
09-05-2020, 02:59 PM
Scumbag rested 110 games in 3 years, first unwittingly ended up on the most complete team in the league, then blackmailed his way into doing so elsewhere, has received oodles of opponent injury luck too and now all of a sudden he's beyond reproach?

It's funny, hipster media/fans supposedly despise mid rangers except when it's him shoulder checking some helpless opponent and shooting uncontested ones. Then suddenly they've amazing.

Mr. Tunnel Vision is as tainted as Curry and Durant. They've all cheated themselves and the game and forfeited the right to ever be considered among the true all time greats, who didn't need contrived/pristine circumstances to thrive.

His good luck and his good fortune really does remind me of of the good luck and fortunate the Warriors had from 2014-2019.

Clipper Nation
09-05-2020, 04:11 PM

https://i.imgur.com/qhOHVGY.jpg

TD 21
09-05-2020, 04:36 PM
https://i.imgur.com/qhOHVGY.jpg

:lmao Says the hypocrite who was salty about damn near everything (Rivers, Paul, Durant, Warriors, etc.) until his team became one of the cool kids.

Spurtacular
09-05-2020, 07:52 PM
Kawhi had

Siakm
Lowery
Ibaka
Gasol

ambchang
09-07-2020, 05:25 PM
Kawhi is getting overrated like crazy. He’s not the best player in the nba. He is the best GM in the nba though.

daslicer
09-07-2020, 06:20 PM
Kawhi is getting overrated like crazy. He’s not the best player in the nba. He is the best GM in the nba though.

If the Clippers win it all he's going to be up there with Jerry West when it comes to being a GM.

DAF86
09-07-2020, 06:23 PM
Hardens the second best player in this league is proof enough for :lol today’s nba.

He isn't the second best with everyone healthy, tbh.

DAF86
09-07-2020, 06:25 PM

Who is then?

ambchang
09-07-2020, 08:39 PM
Who is then?

Should have said he’s not the clear cut best player in the nba.

Lebron, harden and giannis are all great players. Using :lol today’s nba standards.

DAF86
09-07-2020, 09:34 PM
Should have said he’s not the clear cut best player in the nba.

Lebron, harden and giannis are all great players. Using :lol today’s nba standards.

Nah, to me Kawhi is pretty clearly the best player. He just doesn't stand out so much because he coasts like a motherfucker during the regular season. If he was a stat padding whore like Giannis and Harden, and were on a 4th straight regular season MVP run, nobody would be questioning who the best player is. When it's all said and done Kawhi will probably end as a top 10/15 player of all-time.

ambchang
09-07-2020, 10:27 PM
Nah, to me Kawhi is pretty clearly the best player. He just doesn't stand out so much because he coasts like a motherfucker during the regular season. If he was a stat padding whore like Giannis and Harden, and were on a 4th straight regular season MVP run, nobody would be questioning who the best player is. When it's all said and done Kawhi will probably end as a top 10/15 player of all-time.

His body won’t hold up. His defence is already slipping as he’s focusing more on offence. His body can’t take the toll so he’s saving up the energy for the playoffs. And only for teams he felt like playing for.

Lebron is carrying a team that wouldn’t make the playoffs and making them a contender. Kawhi is taking a team that would be a second rounder or even a wc finalist into a contender ( though favourites). Put Lebron on the clippers and they’d be just as lethal.

DAF86
09-07-2020, 10:40 PM
His body won’t hold up. His defence is already slipping as he’s focusing more on offence. His body can’t take the toll so he’s saving up the energy for the playoffs. And only for teams he felt like playing for.

Lebron is carrying a team that wouldn’t make the playoffs and making them a contender. Kawhi is taking a team that would be a second rounder or even a wc finalist into a contender ( though favourites). Put Lebron on the clippers and they’d be just as lethal.

When the chips go down, and it's do or go home time, Kawhi just has more capacity to take over games than Lebron right now, both on defense and offense. When Kawhi puts his head down and goes to work, there's no stopping him. He's the number one tough bucket getter in the NBA right now. The same with defense. His consistency might not be there anymore, but when you really need to get a stop, Kawhi is the guy you want guarding. And no, he will not switch on game 7 of the WC or NBA finals.

swrowe78
09-09-2020, 02:46 AM
1. Kawhi
2. Lebron

These are the only two players I trust in the playoffs and I know will have deep playoff runs each year. KD was on the tier too, but I don't know if he will come back the same. Big gap after that.

DMC
09-09-2020, 08:56 AM
Kawhi is a great basketball player if you want to win games. He's not a great basketball player otherwise. He is efficient as fuck and doesn't make a shit ton of mistakes. He has no real weaknesses at either end of the floor and his man to man defense is 2nd to none. His detractor is that he cannot play every game, so he's a bit of a pussy in that regard but he's running his career like he's a corporation with a long term goal instead of being a hot item that needs to make hay while the sun is shining at the cost of his future. I'd still take Kawhi over anyone in the league not named Lebron, Anthony Davis or Kevin Durant. You'd still need more production on offense though. If the Clippers could score Klay Thompson they would be better off than they are with Layoff Paul.

Arcadian
09-10-2020, 12:38 AM
Kawhi is a great basketball player if you want to win games. He's not a great basketball player otherwise.

What does that even mean? :lol Everyone wants to win games.

DMC
09-10-2020, 12:44 AM
What does that even mean? :lol Everyone wants to win games.

Wanting to win and playing to win are two different things. Do you think the Thunder were in game winning mode when Russ was doing trip dubs all season, and they were intentionally walking away from rebounds to get him there? Or how about Kobe's forays into stupid stat land or when he was ignoring all other options to try to hero again? Kawhi would not be a good "get crazy stats at all costs" guy because he thrives on efficiency, not on raw numbers. I cannot imagine him blowing coverage to cheat back for easy points, or bitching at a teammate for getting a rebound, or wrestling it away from a center.

lefty
09-10-2020, 01:20 AM
Kawhi had

Siakm
Lowery
Ibaka
Gasol

nah he’s not overrated

Robz4000
09-10-2020, 01:34 AM
Kawhi is a great basketball player if you want to win games. He's not a great basketball player otherwise. He is efficient as fuck and doesn't make a shit ton of mistakes. He has no real weaknesses at either end of the floor and his man to man defense is 2nd to none. His detractor is that he cannot play every game, so he's a bit of a pussy in that regard but he's running his career like he's a corporation with a long term goal instead of being a hot item that needs to make hay while the sun is shining at the cost of his future. I'd still take Kawhi over anyone in the league not named Lebron, Anthony Davis or Kevin Durant. You'd still need more production on offense though. If the Clippers could score Klay Thompson they would be better off than they are with Layoff Paul.

Dominos will never be what he was before he tore his achilles and Lebron is old now. Davis is an example of what you said in your later post, someone who wants to win but doesn't play to win imo. I hate Nephew but I just don't see a better player in the league right now.

DAF86
09-10-2020, 01:36 AM

What "otherwise" is there besides winning games? :lol

Kawhitstorm
09-10-2020, 01:59 AM

Staring down Jeff Green on the bench after making a basket in glorified garbage time.

LkrFan
09-10-2020, 05:48 AM
Before the Clipps colluded with Uncle Dennis, CN would've sed

LeBron

Kawhi
Luka
Curry
Giannis

-25 points son :lol

LkrFan
09-10-2020, 05:50 AM
Anywho

Bron
Kiwi
AD
Luka
Bin Harden

DMC
09-10-2020, 08:48 AM
Wanting to win and playing to win are two different things. Do you think the Thunder were in game winning mode when Russ was doing trip dubs all season, and they were intentionally walking away from rebounds to get him there? Or how about Kobe's forays into stupid stat land or when he was ignoring all other options to try to hero again? Kawhi would not be a good "get crazy stats at all costs" guy because he thrives on efficiency, not on raw numbers. I cannot imagine him blowing coverage to cheat back for easy points, or bitching at a teammate for getting a rebound, or wrestling it away from a center.

Winning RS accolades. Don't act like that's not a thing.

TDfan2007
09-10-2020, 01:12 PM
Tbh it's Kawhi and LeBron's world, and we'll see who the true best player in the league is in the WCF.

Harden is a top 1-2 regular season player, but his complete lack of a mid-range game and refusal to play off ball limits his effectiveness at times in the playoffs.

Kawhi has no flaws in his game anymore now that he's improved his passing, and LeBron is still the greatest combo of skill, IQ, and athleticism in the league. Nobody controls a game better than him.

Arcadian
09-10-2020, 01:44 PM
Okay, but you lost me at "he's not a great basketball player otherwise." Yes he is.

Dirks_Finale
09-10-2020, 03:35 PM
Dominos will never be what he was before he tore his achilles and Lebron is old now. Davis is an example of what you said in your later post, someone who wants to win but doesn't play to win imo. I hate Nephew but I just don't see a better player in the league right now.

If Kiwi wasn't such a mute, I don't even see an argument existing against him, tbh. Lebron is the better leader so people still gravitate towards him as their top player.

The things you do to try and neutralize Lebron are ineffective against Kiwi and his great midrange game. And as others mentioned, if you need a critical stop late, you want Kiwi checking them over anybody else. So he's the best two way player in the NBA.