PDA

View Full Version : Will COVID-19 Inadvertently Resolve the Social Security Issue?

DMC
09-05-2020, 09:39 PM
With so many people dying who are older and in poor health already, will the virus have a side effect of relieving pressure from the boomer generation on the social security funds?

Discuss

Spurtacular
09-05-2020, 09:47 PM
Have the Chumpettes show you numbers that deaths among the elderly are increasing dramatically.

#NotGonnaHappen

ChumpDumper
09-05-2020, 09:53 PM
No. That was easy.

DMC
09-06-2020, 12:51 AM
Why not?

ElNono
09-06-2020, 01:24 AM
With so many people dying who are older and in poor health already, will the virus have a side effect of relieving pressure from the boomer generation on the social security funds?

Discuss

I don't know that there was pressure, necessarily. But more to the point, only a certain amount, since there's survivor's benefits too.

DMC
09-06-2020, 01:50 AM
I don't know that there was pressure, necessarily. But more to the point, only a certain amount, since there's survivor's benefits too.

Surviving spouses can also be the only ones still alive when COVID hit, so I think it's a wash where that's concerned. Why wouldn't the higher than expected deaths of elderly people relieve some SS pressure being brought about by the fact that 10K Americans are turning 65 daily? Is it because some people who would normally be paying in aren't getting a paycheck so no payments are being made into SS, so offsetting the difference?

ElNono
09-06-2020, 02:11 AM
Surviving spouses can also be the only ones still alive when COVID hit, so I think it's a wash where that's concerned. Why wouldn't the higher than expected deaths of elderly people relieve some SS pressure being brought about by the fact that 10K Americans are turning 65 daily? Is it because some people who would normally be paying in aren't getting a paycheck so no payments are being made into SS, so offsetting the difference?

Some kids get survivor's benefits too, so it's clearly not necessarily a wash, but obviously it's possibly 'better' than paying out the whole benefit. That said, considering the government can't technically go bankrupt, I'm not so sure this is as much of an issue.

It would be perhaps a massive inflation problem at some point in the future, but, for example, a payroll tax cut would be a much bigger blow to SS.

tholdren
09-06-2020, 09:35 PM
Some kids get survivor's benefits too, so it's clearly not necessarily a wash, but obviously it's possibly 'better' than paying out the whole benefit. That said, considering the government can't technically go bankrupt, I'm not so sure this is as much of an issue.

It would be perhaps a massive inflation problem at some point in the future, but, for example, a payroll tax cut would be a much bigger blow to SS.

lolololopol

Excess deaths lolololololoolo

ElNono
09-06-2020, 10:31 PM
lolololopol

Excess deaths lolololololoolo

:lmao more meltdowns
:lmao 10k deaths

tholdren
09-07-2020, 08:53 AM
notice el wrongwrong has stopped using numbers and math for months after my math was realized.

Ifr less than flu for working class
Less than 10k usa died from only covid...

Yet here he is so worked up about politics he can't do math. Lolololollooolollolooll

Winehole23
09-07-2020, 08:57 AM
You never show your sums, dude.

tholdren
09-07-2020, 09:04 AM

I have. ChumpDumper has buried them many times.

tholdren
09-07-2020, 01:05 PM

ElNono
09-07-2020, 04:07 PM
notice el wrongwrong has stopped using numbers and math for months after my math was realized.

Ifr less than flu for working class
Less than 10k usa died from only covid...

Yet here he is so worked up about politics he can't do math. Lolololollooolollolooll

pgardn
09-07-2020, 04:46 PM
The foldren again derails a thread. I guess he feltanother L occurring.

ChumpDumper
09-07-2020, 04:52 PM
I have. ChumpDumper has buried them many times.th:lolldren lies.

Post your numbers now.