timvp
09-06-2020, 02:13 PM
https://i.imgur.com/5XhLz1s.jpg

Aleksej Pokusevski

Position: PF/SF/C/SG
Height: 7-feet
Weight: 195 pounds
Draft Range: 10 to 25

Why: Super smooth out on the perimeter for his size. Very good feel for the game. Has advanced court vision and can pass. Really good ball-handler for his size. Fluid athlete, has guard-like coordination. Shooting stroke looks good; release is high and fast so getting it off in the NBA won't be a problem. High rate of blocks and rebounds points to potential on defense. His ceiling is really high due to his size, age (youngest player in the draft) and collection of skills.

Why Not: So skinny it's scary. Needs to bulk up quite a bit. Gets pushed around even in low levels of basketball. Has been inefficient offensively on every level even though he has only very rarely played against notable competition. Plays like a guard on offense but he needs to stay near the basket to have value on defense, which will make him a difficult piece to fit. Obvious bust potential because he's completely unproven and his body needs so much work.

Spurs Fit: He'd be a major roll of the dice (I'd say there's a 40% chance he's an NBA player, 5% chance he's really good) that the Spurs would develop slowly and with care. It'd probably be two to three years before he's an everyday rotation player. The Spurs would be unlikely to rush that process, especially knowing that he could be a star if they're patient and allow him to grow into his body.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Supersized Willie Anderson with Range

Spurs Comparison - Floor: Malnourished Viktor Sanikidze

Statistics (https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Aleksej-Pokusevski/Summary/130811)
Highlights (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZRgRZoiQaU)
Scouting Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXFjuG5BJvA)

BatManu20
09-06-2020, 02:38 PM
Not as has high on this kid as most are. No, he’s not the next Giannis. Not nearly the athlete nor does he have the frame Giannis had at 19 to put on 30+ lbs of muscle. Has very narrow shoulders. He’ll get pushed around at the next level. He’s basically a taller Bertans to me with a better handle and slightly more upside.

Dejounte
09-13-2020, 11:40 PM
https://youtu.be/lXuvcomwOR8

Struggled to find footage of Alexsej before, glad this one was uploaded. It shows missed shots as well.

Thoughts:

I struggled to find a good comp for Poku before. But now I think I understand who he reminds me of. He moves like Jamal Crawford on the court, with a shamelessly high tendency of throwing up WTF threes (half of which were way off).

Adding strength will do nothing for Poku on offense. Not when the thing he loves most is shooting 3s. He will occasionally post up but that's not his game. He would thrive under a coach that would give him free reign on his 3s, someone like D'Antoni or Steve Kerr.

The problem with putting Poku on a team with structure (or trying to have structure) is I don't think many coaches or teammates in the NBA will put up with the bullshit of running full court to run a set on offense only to have a dumbass 3 thrown up and then running back full court to defense. That will tire your players quick.

Off the ball, he doesn't really try to earn his 3s. He hovers a lot on the 3 point line waiting for the ball to be passed to him. He would be a great fit for the Rockets because of this. Reminds me of Bertans in this regard. But I think even Bertans did SOME movement off the ball.

I didn't see much setting of picks. Again, I think he has a mind of a wing and that will be his role in the NBA on offense.

On defense, my opinion remains largely the same. Adding strength will help here. I did notice that he gets some of his weakside blocks from completely leaving his man all the way out on the perimeter and staying inside the paint anticipating the ball handler. Kind of like when you play NBA 2k and you want to be greedy and get a block to pad your stats so you think the computer is dumb enough not to pass it to the man you left because the player animation is already doing a layup. This won't fly in the NBA for Poku.

Jamal Crawford refresher:

https://youtu.be/KxFAeEpvesg

timvp
09-14-2020, 12:59 AM
I mean, a seven-foot Jamal Crawford would be a pretty epic weapon, tbh ...

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 02:35 AM

Not saying it wouldn't be. Just saying what I think I see in case we do draft the dude. Not a 1 to 1 comp given the obvious differences on defense...not that Jamal Crawford was known for being any sort of pest on defense.

I personally don't think it's a type of pick the Spurs would normally make due to the wildly erratic nature of his playstyle and questions on how his fit will be on defense (will likely match up against PF full time)... But we will see!

Play Boban
09-14-2020, 08:34 AM
High iq

Seventyniner
09-14-2020, 09:04 AM

If that's what he turns into then he's strictly highlight reel material imo. He would be hella fun to watch on a bad team, but if he's on your team and you want your team to make noise in the playoffs you'd probably tear your hair out.

R. DeMurre
09-14-2020, 12:58 PM
Shooting % right now is Poku's main area that needs work, so the Crawford comp doesn't really seem on point to me. Crawford's main (some would say only) strength was in scoring. Poku's strength so far in his young career has been that of an all around stat stuffer who won't lead the team in scoring, but will probably lead them in blocks, steals, rebounds, +/-, and possibly assists... That's a whole different creature. If he can become a 36% or better three point shooter, that becomes a huge weapon, as it'll force a big to guard him on the perimeter, and it's clear he's not afraid or tentative about taking them. Try to guard him with a wing in that scenario, and he shoots the three at will, with no impediments.

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 01:05 PM
Shooting % right now is Poku's main area that needs work, so the Crawford comp doesn't really seem on point to me. Crawford's main (some would say only) strength was in scoring. Poku's strength so far in his young career has been that of an all around stat stuffer who won't lead the team in scoring, but will probably lead them in blocks, steals, rebounds, +/-, and possibly assists... That's a whole different creature. if he can become a 36% or better three point shooter, that becomes a huge weapon, as it'll force a big to guard him on the perimeter, and it's clear he's not afraid or tentative about taking them.

Did you really just say the Crawford comp isn't on point because of shooting percentages? Have you seen Crawford's percentages? He's been a career long chucker whose reputation comes from being able to score in bunches off the bench because he shoots so much (and poorly because most of them are ill-advised shots bred from his supreme confidence).... Very much like Poku on offense. Again, the Crawford comp I made was strictly based off offense. Tendencies, body movement, and dribble/ layup/ shot packages.

R. DeMurre
09-14-2020, 01:07 PM
Did you really just say the Crawford comp isn't on point because of shooting percentages? Have you seen Crawford's percentages? He's been a career long chucker whose reputation comes from being able to score in bunches off the bench because he shoots so much (and poorly because most of them are ill-advised shots).... Very much like Poku on offense. Again, the Crawford comp I made was strictly based off offense. Tendencies, body movement, and dribble/ layup/ shot packages.

No, I'm pointing out that you're keying on Poku's greatest weakness in your comp, to the complete exclusion of all of his strengths. I generally enjoy your takes, but this one seems way off to me because it goes out of the way to ignore his most fundamental positive features.

R. DeMurre
09-14-2020, 01:11 PM
Poku led his Olympiacos team in +/-, PER, Rebounds, steals, and blocks. He was second in assists, and the only player on the roster to be named to the all defense team for his league. Crawford never did anything remotely like that.

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 01:15 PM
No, I'm pointing on that you're keying on Poku's greatest weakness in your comp, to the complete exclusion of all of his strengths. I generally enjoy your takes, but this one seems way off to me because it goes out of the way to ignore his most fundamental positive features.

Poku's strength IS that he can play like Jamal Crawford though, at his size of 7'.

If you're saying I'm excluding rebounds and blocks - those are on defense, which I've acknowledged is a different creature.

If I'm still misunderstanding you, please elaborate.

For reference:

Jamal Crawford's career averages (offensively speaking only):

14.6 ppg on .410 fg%
.348 3 pt %
3.4 assists per game
86.2% from the line

Poku's stats in Greek A2 league:
10.8 ppg on 40.4 fg%
32.1 3 pt %
3.1 assists per game
78.3% from the line

I didn't even look at these stats when I made the comparison, but I believe they back up my conclusions (on offense).

R. DeMurre
09-14-2020, 01:19 PM
Poku's strength IS that he can play like Jamal Crawford though, at his size of 7'.

If you're saying I'm excluding rebounds and blocks - those are on defense, which I've acknowledged is a different creature.

For reference:

14.6 ppg on .410 fg%
.348 3 pt %
3.4 assists per game
86.2% from the line

10.8 ppg on 40.4 fg%
32.1 3 pt %
3.1 assists per game
78.3% from the line

I didn't even look at these stats when I made the comparison, but I believe they back up my conclusions (on offense).

If Poku pans out, it will be as a Swiss Army knife, jack of all trades, glue guy, 5x5 threat... not as a guy that comes in and isn't afraid to lead the team in shot attempts. Crawford's entire career is the polar opposite-- a one dimensional player with mostly bad advanced stats.

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 01:20 PM
Poku led his Olympiacos team in +/-, PER, Rebounds, steals, and blocks. He was second in assists, and the only player on the roster to be named to the all defense team for his league. Crawford never did anything remotely like that.

I think the issue here is when I made my initial post regarding defense, I said "my opinion remains largely the same" and I didn't state what that opinion was.

To sum it up,
IN MY OPINION, we should take his rebounds, steals, and blocks and read it with caution. The offensive ability of his opponents were piss poor and like I said about the blocks... This dude backs off his man just to claim the block in the interior. In the NBA, that's a pass to that open man and a quick 3.

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 01:21 PM
If Poku pans out, it will be as a Swiss Army knife, jack of all trades, glue guy, 5x5 threat... not as a guy that comes in and isn't afraid to shoot. Crawford's entire career is the polar opposite-- a one dimensional player with mostly bad advanced stats.

We simply have different reads with our own eye tests then, and that's fine with me...

To me, he is very much in love with chucking up 3s. I'm not going to deny he doesn't have passing ability. He has that. So did Jamal.

R. DeMurre
09-14-2020, 01:28 PM
I think the issue here is when I made my initial post regarding defense, I said "my opinion remains largely the same" and I didn't state what that opinion was.

To sum it up,
IN MY OPINION, we should take his rebounds, steals, and blocks and read it with caution. The offensive ability of his opponents were piss poor and like I said about the blocks... This dude backs off his man just to claim the block in the interior. In the NBA, that's a pass to that open man and a quick 3.

That may well turn out to be the case, but using Crawford as a comp still doesn't work unless you have the ulterior motive of insinuating that this guy sucks and is secretly one dimensional even though his stats say otherwise. If you said he'd be a poor man's version of Kirilenko, Diaw, or Lamar Odom, I could say, ok, that's a reasonable comp. The Crawford comp just seems like an inherently biased one to me.

exstatic
09-14-2020, 01:34 PM

Unicorn potential. He has a broad spectrum of both big man skills, blocks and rebounds, and little man skills, passing and ball handling and steals. Crawford isn’t the comp, Kristaps is, or maybe a taller Kukoc. He’s an enigma, in that he has probably one of the top 3 highest ceilings, and one of the bottom 3 lowest floors in the first round. In the wrong organization, he’ll be a three year blip on the NBA radar.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
09-14-2020, 01:38 PM

For reference:

14.6 ppg on .410 fg%
.348 3 pt %
3.4 assists per game
86.2% from the line

10.8 ppg on 40.4 fg%
32.1 3 pt %
3.1 assists per game
78.3% from the line

Those stats are terrible, esp in the league he is in

exstatic
09-14-2020, 01:44 PM

To sum it up,

Rebounds are one thing that translates from one basketball level to the next, and going inside for a block is what weak side shot blockers do. The defense rotates to cover them.

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 01:44 PM
That may well turn out to be the case, but using Crawford as a comp still doesn't work unless you have the ulterior motive of insinuating that this guy sucks and is secretly one dimensional even though his stats say otherwise. If you said he'd be a poor man's version of Kirilenko, Diaw, or Lamar Odom, I could say, ok, that's a reasonable comp. The Crawford comp just seems like an inherently biased one to me.

I think this is where the confusion begins.

When I made the Crawford comp, I didn't think of any negative aspect of Jamal. I was strictly looking at three things: body movement, tendencies, move packages.

Even when you look above, timvp's instant reaction was that having a similarity to Jamal is a good thing because of his size.

Rarely when I make a comparison is it ever centered on production. There are too many factors that affect production.

Maybe my mistake was that I didn't offer a defense comparison for Poku. I'll try to do that shortly.

I don't believe it's as simple as a prospect being a version of any NBA player. There's only bits and pieces.

On a side note: who did I compare Diaw to recently???

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 01:46 PM
Unicorn potential. He has a broad spectrum of both big man skills, blocks and rebounds, and little man skills, passing and ball handling and steals. Crawford isn’t the comp, Kristaps is, or maybe a taller Kukoc. He’s an enigma, in that he has probably one of the top 3 highest ceilings, and one of the bottom 3 lowest floors in the first round. In the wrong organization, he’ll be a three year blip on the NBA radar.

No offense, but Kristaps isn't a good comparison. Kristaps is a stiff. No fluidity whatsoever. He doesn't move like a guard at all. Poku does. Big difference there.

exstatic
09-14-2020, 01:47 PM

He’s eighteen, and playing against grown men. Dejounte is also cherry picking the stats he wants to show you, leaving off 7.2 rebounds, 2.8 assists, 1.7 blocks, and 1.3 steals in 21 minutes.

exstatic
09-14-2020, 01:49 PM
No offense, but Kristaps isn't a good comparison. Kristaps is a stiff. No fluidity whatsoever. He doesn't move like a guard at all. Poku does. Big difference there.

So, throw Kristaps and Kukoc in a blender.

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 01:49 PM
He’s eighteen, and playing against grown men. Dejounte is also cherry picking the stats he wants to show you, leaving off 7.2 rebounds, 2.8 assists, 1.7 blocks, and 1.3 steals in 21 minutes.

God... you're reaching DAF levels of annoying. How can I make this any clearer... my initial post was focused on OFFENSE. Jamal was an OFFENSIVE PLAYER comparison.

I even stated in the post that was quoted "OFFENSE ONLY".

Why am I being taken out of context and accused of cherry picking?

exstatic
09-14-2020, 01:54 PM
God... you're reaching DAF levels of annoying. How can I make this any clearer... my initial post was focused on OFFENSE. Jamal was an OFFENSIVE PLAYER comparison.

Player comps are comprehensive. If you want to cut the player in half, it should be stated: his OFFENSIVE comp is...

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 01:56 PM
Player comps are comprehensive. If you want to cut the player in half, it should be stated: his OFFENSIVE comp is...

This was the post:

I struggled to find a good comp for Poku before. But now I think I understand who he reminds me of. He moves like Jamal Crawford on the court, with a shamelessly high tendency of throwing up WTF threes (half of which were way off).

Adding strength will do nothing for Poku on offense. Not when the thing he loves most is shooting 3s. He will occasionally post up but that's not his game. He would thrive under a coach that would give him free reign on his 3s, someone like D'Antoni or Steve Kerr.

The problem with putting Poku on a team with structure (or trying to have structure) is I don't think many coaches or teammates in the NBA will put up with the bullshit of running full court to run a set on offense only to have a dumbass 3 thrown up and then running back full court to defense. That will tire your players quick.

Off the ball, he doesn't really try to earn his 3s. He hovers a lot on the 3 point line waiting for the ball to be passed to him. He would be a great fit for the Rockets because of this. Reminds me of Bertans in this regard. But I think even Bertans did SOME movement off the ball.

I didn't see much setting of picks. Again, I think he has a mind of a wing and that will be his role in the NBA on offense.

On defense, my opinion remains largely the same. Adding strength will help here. I did notice that he gets some of his weakside blocks from completely leaving his man all the way out on the perimeter and staying inside the paint anticipating the ball handler. Kind of like when you play NBA 2k and you want to be greedy and get a block to pad your stats so you think the computer is dumb enough not to pass it to the man you left because the player animation is already doing a layup. This won't fly in the NBA for Poku.

The text in bold was speaking of offense only, while the paragraph below in italicized text describes his defense.

I'll take accountability of this for next time and provide more clarity.

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 02:24 PM
I think this is where the confusion begins.

When I made the Crawford comp, I didn't think of any negative aspect of Jamal. I was strictly looking at three things: body movement, tendencies, move packages.

Even when you look above, timvp (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8)'s instant reaction was that having a similarity to Jamal is a good thing because of his size.

Rarely when I make a comparison is it ever centered on production. There are too many factors that affect production.

Maybe my mistake was that I didn't offer a defense comparison for Poku. I'll try to do that shortly.

I don't believe it's as simple as a prospect being a version of any NBA player. There's only bits and pieces.

On a side note: who did I compare Diaw to recently???

I remember now: it was ALSO Poku before I found the footage in my initial post in this thread. Here is where I say that: https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286832&page=4

I think that comparison still applies.

In fact, a more complete image of Poku's offensive game would be described like this:

Jamal Crawford's body movement/ language, speed, 75% of his dribble move package, some of Diaw's shot+layup package as well
Stephen Curry's shot tendencies on the 3 point line (maybe even more exaggerated)
with Boris Diaw's vision for passing

I think Poku's flashy passing may overstate his potential production on that end. Just because you're flashy, doesn't mean you're going to average 5+ assists per game. I'm not sure if Poku is going to be a primary ball handler for an NBA team. Probably going to be a secondary ball handler. Very few wings are ever the primary ball handler for their team.

R. DeMurre (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=14577)

I advise anyone who still struggles with my Jamal Crawford comparison to please watch the two videos in my initial post. One with Poku and one with J. Crawford.

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 02:40 PM
I dug a little deeper on the "5+assists thing" and I'm always willing to admit when I'm incorrect.

Here are the wings and bigs averaging more than 4.8 assists per game:

Kawhi Leonard
Domantas Sabonis
Bam Adebayo
Joe Ingles
DeMar DeRozan
Giannis
Jimmy Butler
Draymond
Devin Booker
Nikola Jokic
James Harden
Luka Doncic
LeBron James

So, in today's NBA it's definitely in the realm of possibility that Poku can average 5+ assists per game, provided he 1) reaches his potential and 2) a team is willing to give him that many touches. HOWEVER, I still think he loves to chuck it up more than he loves to hand out assists, hence the low number of assists per game in the Greek A2 league. Poku's biggest enemy is himself.

R. DeMurre
09-14-2020, 02:43 PM

I even stated in the post that was quoted "OFFENSE ONLY".

Why am I being taken out of context and accused of cherry picking?

There are times in that video where Poku is playing like Bill Walton at UCLA, working the top of the key and passing nicely to cutters. That's something Crawford would never do. They are many other times where he's the initiator of the offensive sets a la Jokic, there are offensive rebounds, there are interior passes where he draws the bigs away from the basket by his presence... I just see so many examples of an offensive game that seems not comparable to Crawford.

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 02:54 PM
There are times in that video where Poku is playing like Bill Walton at UCLA, working the top of the key and passing nicely to cutters. That's something Crawford would never do. They are many other times where he's the initiator of the offensive sets a la Jokic, there are offensive rebounds, there are interior passes where he draws the bigs away from the basket by his presence... I just see so many examples of an offensive game that seems not comparable to Crawford.

See post I made above.
Also, I think Crawford's vision is being underrated here because of his reputation as a chucker. You can be a chucker and a passer.

R. DeMurre
09-14-2020, 03:15 PM
See post I made above.
Also, I think Crawford's vision is being underrated here because of his reputation as a chucker. You can be a chucker and a passer.

I'm happy to agree to disagree. Most of the three point attempts in that video look like good shots against shorter defenders who have no chance of blocking or altering them. Sorry, I just don't see chucking. I see a high IQ and mostly good decision making with some youthful flaws of trying to do a bit too much sometimes, like trying to force passes in between defenders, but mostly his passes are pretty simple ones to open guys that he sees over shorter defenders. I put Crawford in a category with Lou Williams or DeRozan, putting up flashy numbers that are the result of a high Usage rate that ultimately don't translate as the work of a first option in an efficient offense. I see Poku as a guy content to be a facilitator that doesn't lead the team in FGA per minute.

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 03:19 PM
I'm happy to agree to disagree. Most of the three point attempts in that video look like good shots against shorter defenders who have no chance of blocking or altering them. Sorry, I just don't see chucking. I see a high IQ and mostly good decision making with some youthful flaws of trying to do a bit too much sometimes, like trying to force passes in between defenders, but mostly his passes are pretty simple ones to open guys that he sees over shorter defenders. I put Crawford in a category with Lou Williams or DeRozan, putting up flashy numbers that are the result of a high Usage rate that ultimately don't translate as the work of a first option in an efficient offense. I see Poku as a guy content to be a guy that doesn't lead the team in FGA per minute.

That's fine.

I just think if he was this a flawless prospect who just has "youthful flaws", he would be the #1 pick.

We will see in a couple years whether on the Spurs or another team.

exstatic
09-14-2020, 03:24 PM
That's fine.

I just think if he was this a flawless prospect who just has "youthful flaws", he would be the #1 pick.

He’s not flawless. He’s just got a really robust well rounded game for an 18 YO. He needs to be picked by the right team to reach his potential. If Phoenix or Sacto pick him, his chances of success plummet.

R. DeMurre
09-14-2020, 03:26 PM
That's fine.

I've never said anything remotely like flawless... his FG%s are low, he lacks strength, his ability to guard one on one against perimeter players is shaky, he avoids physical contact near the basket... I see plenty of flaws, and the main thing leading the way for him in the next three years will be his level of dedication, adaptation, and intensity-- all of which I know absolutely nothing about at all.

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 03:27 PM
He’s not flawless. He’s just got a really robust well rounded game for an 18 YO. He needs to be picked by the right team to reach his potential. If Phoenix or Sacto pick him, his chances of success plummet.

What do you personally think his flaws are?

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 03:28 PM
I've never said anything remotely like flawless... his FG%s are low, he lacks strength, his ability to guard one on one against perimeter players is shaky, he avoids physical contact near the basket... I see plenty of flaws, and the main thing leading the way for him in the next three years will be his level of dedication, adaptation, and intensity-- all of which I know absolutely nothing about at all.

Sorry for misinterpreting you.

exstatic
09-14-2020, 04:08 PM
What do you personally think his flaws are?

He needs to tighten up his handles, but that can be problematic at 7 ft. You can only dribble the ball so low at that height. That’s a good problem for a seven footer to have, though. He has the same issue that Lonnie had when he was in college when he shot 34% from beyond the arc: great form, but questionable shot selection. Since Lonnie shot 38% and 40% his first two seasons, I’m pretty sure this will resolve itself. TaT thinks so, too. They project him as a 37% NBA 3 point shooter. He, of course, needs to add strength and weight. He’ll likely never be a great one on one defender, but if he can be a good to great team defender, and create defensive events like blocks and steals, he can be an effective two way player.

DAF86
09-14-2020, 05:39 PM

Those stats are better than what the soon to be B2B MVP Giannis put up on the same league, tbh.

DAF86
09-14-2020, 05:44 PM
Imagine being such a biased obsessed little bitch that you compare Pokusevski to Jamal Crowford, and when people call you out on your retarded take you try to act as if you weren't blatantly trying to diss the guy :lol

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 05:45 PM
Imagine being such a biased obsessed little bitch that you compare Pokusevski to Jamal Crowford, and when people call you out on your retarded take you try to act as if you weren't blatantly trying to diss the guy :lol

Imagine trying to butt in an adult conversation. You're out of your league, boy.

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 05:46 PM
Those stats are better than what the soon to be B2B MVP Giannis put up on the same league, tbh.

Layman takes for everyone! DAF to the rescue with his oversimplified piece of shit takes.

DAF86
09-14-2020, 05:51 PM
Imagine trying to butt in an adult conversation. You're out of your league, boy.

I already told you, I'm done trying to keep it civil with your retarded ass. Fuck you and your federal disability checks you fucking moron.

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 05:52 PM
I already told you, I'm done trying to keep it civil with your retarded ass. Fuck you and your federal disability checks you fucking moron.

I heard the angry typing sounds all the way from over here. You need a new keyboard, you worthless piece of shit.

DAF86
09-14-2020, 06:18 PM
For anyone who hasn't seen anything about Pokusevski yet, don't believe the retarded Crawford comparisson. He's the complete opposite as an offensive player.

For starters Poku doesn't overdribble which is Jamal Crawford's main flaw.

Second, Pokusevski isn't a chucker. He takes over half his shots from the three point land but they are always taken within the flow of the offense. You will never see Pokusevski dribble the ball for 15 straight seconds without going anywhere just to chuck up a contested three, that's just not his game.

Third, Pokusevski actually plays an efficient style on offense. Like I said before, he doesn't overdribble, he doesn't take bad shots, and he favours threes and rim attacks over midrange jumpers. He also makes people around him better with some great passing and vision. That's why despite turning the ball over quite a bit and having below average shooting numbers, his offensive metrics are still pretty good. He actually reminds me of rookie Manu a bit. Not great shooting %, some wild passes here and there, but anyone with a functioning pair of eyes realized the dude played a winning brand of basketball.

He is nothing like Manu at finishing around the rim though, he sucks on that area. He really needs to improve there.

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 06:59 PM
Imagine reading what this douchebag has to write when all he writes are broad and vague statements with little evidence.

"Makes people around him better with some great passing and vision"

"Anyone with a functioning pair of eyes realized the dude played winning brand of basketball"

"The offensive metrics are still pretty good"

Wow. 10/10. Great insight. Really proving you're not worthless there.

"Poku isn't a chucker"

Looks at game logs...

Hmm....

3 of 9 from 3
1 of 6 from 3
1 of 5 from 3
2 of 8 from 3
0 of 4 from 3

Imagine how sad one's life must be to dehumanize the mentally disabled and use their status in life (especially when they were born that way) as some form of "insult" to people on the internet. We have a real tough warrior here, boys.

DAF86
09-14-2020, 07:32 PM
Imagine reading what this douchebag has to write when all he writes are broad and vague statements with little evidence.

"Makes people around him better with some great passing and vision"

"Anyone with a functioning pair of eyes realized the dude played winning brand of basketball"

"The offensive metrics are still pretty good"

Wow. 10/10. Great insight. Really proving you're not worthless there.

"Poku isn't a chucker"

Looks at game logs...

Hmm....

3 of 9 from 3
1 of 6 from 3
1 of 5 from 3
2 of 8 from 3
0 of 4 from 3

Imagine how sad one's life must be to dehumanize the mentally disabled and use their status in life (especially when they were born that way) as some form of "insult" to people on the internet. We have a real tough warrior here, boys.

Stop derailing every thread with your oversensitive obsessed ass. It's boring.

You want a "non-vague" analysis? Here it is:

OK, since this guy seems to be a very polarizing figure I'm gonna provide my in depth scouting report of Pokusevski, after having seen every full game of his I could find in youtube.

PERSONAL INFO AND MEASUREMENTS

Name: Aleksej Pokusevski
Age: 18 years (Born on December 26, 2001 - barely elegible for the draft by a few days)
Height: 7'0'' (although there are rumours that he has already grown 1 or 2 more inches)
Weight: 201 lbs (also rumours that this has increased too)
Wingspan: 7'3''
Standing reach: 9'1''

STATS

Per game: 11 ppg - 8 rpg - 3 apg - 2 bpg - 1.3 spg - 40 FG% - 32 3PT% - 78 FT% - 23 mpg
Per 36 minutes: 17 ppg - 12 rbpg - 5 apg - 3 bpg - 2 spg
Advanced: 105.4 ORtg - 84.4 DRtg - 25 PER

STRENGHTS (in descending order)

1) Blocking: This is honestly the aspect of his game that surprised me the most. He looked like a prime Ibaka out there in the Greek second division league. Whenever he was in vacinity he either blocked the shot or altered it, very rarely did he get scored on. He gets blocks in all the varietes: chasing down a guy from behind, coming from the weak side, waiting as a rim protector in the paint, closing out shooters on the perimeter and, despite his lack of strenght, even when defending one on one on a guy that is trying to post him up. Besides his obvious advantage in length, Pokusevski displays deceptive leaping ability (specially from a standing still position) and just great position and feel for when going up for a block.

2) Ball handling and coordination: Pokusevski isn't just one of those folks that displays "good ballhandling skills for a bigman" ala Anthony Davis or Nikola Jokic. No, he displays good ball handling skills, period. He looks like a 7 foot Kyrie Irving out there, doing behind the back and between the legs dribbles effortlessly. Dude has the ball on a string.

3) Passing and vision: To go along with his ball handling abilities, Pokusevski has above average passing skills and court vision. He averaged 5 apg per 36 minutes on FIBA, where the assist keeping numbers are a lot less friendly than in the NBA. His assist to turnover ratio was 1.6 (again, would have been better with NBA style assist stat tracking). Very inventive and unafraid of making mistakes, both in the open field and in pick and roll situations.

4) Rebounding: Same as with blocking, his length and deceptive leaping ability allow him to get rebounds at a great rate. Will win contested rebounds by volleyballing the basketball among enemies' hands. Inconsistent boxing out.

5) Stealing: Length and feel for the game give him above average stealing skills. Agressive double teaming the ball carrier and takes gambles on passing lanes which, when it doesn't work, it leaves the team on a bad defensive postion.

The combination of blocking, rebounding and stealing skills earned him all-defensive team honours from the website Eurobasket.com.

6) Basketball IQ: Poku is definitely a thinker of the game. He's very vocal too. Despite being only 18 years old, and by far the youngest player on the squad, he was constantly seen directing traffic both on offense and defense.

WEAKNESSES (from worst to not so much)

1) Strength: Without a doubt, Pokusevski main concern. Still very young and will undoubtebly put on some more mass in a couple of years, but will it be enough to hang on the NBA? Not exactly the biggest of frames to fill up. Has narrow shoulders.

2) Finishing: For such a talented player, he misses an alarming amount of shots near the rim. Some of them are explained because of the lack of strength previously mentioned, but other times he just lacks touch.

3) One on one defense: On the tighter, less talented courts of the Green A2 league this didn't prove to be a major issue for Pokusevski, but on the NBA he will be seen as an easy prey both on the block with his lack of strength, and on the perimeter because, even though he has good overall mobility and coordination, he just doesn't put enough effort on bending those knees and moving laterally to stay with his man. Many times he would let the offensive player go past him so that he can then strip the ball from behind or block it at the rim. He won't be able to get away with that on the NBA.

4) Unforced errors: Make no mistake about it, Pop would lose years of his life dealing with some of the mistakes Pokusevski would make if he ever got to coach him. For a guy that displays such high basketball IQ most of the time, he commits quite his fair share of boneheaded plays. His two most common infractions: turning the ball over by looking for the flashy pass instead of the efficient one, and getting lost on defense trying to go for the home run play. Luckily these are easy fixes that will come with maturity.

5) FT rate: Dude just doesn't go enough to the line. Needs to learn how to use his body better when attacking the basket.

QUESTION MARKS/NEUTRAL ASPECTS

Shooting: Pokusevski displays a good enough form on his shot (aside from a weird leg movement he does from time to time) but still hasn't proved he can shoot at a high %. Despite shooting only 32% from three, he shoots a high volume on these (5 threes per game and 7 threes per 36 minutes. That's over half of his field goal attempts). Quick release. Will take threes from spot ups, off the dribble and even in catch and shoot situations coming off screens. This is an encouraging sign that paired with his already good FT shooting (78%) projects him as an average to above average shooter at the NBA level (his projected NBA 3pt% is 37%).

As a side note, not a very good off balance shooter. It seemed like everytime he was forced to take and off balance jumper he would front iron it in an ugly way.

Athleticism: Pretty much an average to slightly above athlete. Not overly fast, but not slow by any means. As already mentioned, deceptive leaping ability. Good coordination and mobility although not always makes the best use of them. And the aforementioned lack of strength.

Body language: Dude displays a weird body language sometimes. One play he's all over the court creating havoc and the next he looks like he's barely even trying. Despite playing with great energy most of the time, he can be often seen with his hands on his knees and his head at legs level searching for air. Might need to work on conditioning.

SO, SHOULD THE SPURS DRAFT THIS GUY?

It all depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a guy that can start contributing right away and who is less of a risk at never stepping foot on an NBA court, then you might be better off looking elswhere. However if you prefer to go for the home run and a shot at drafting your franchise player for the next 15 years, then Pokusevski is definitely your guy. I would even argue that his ceiling is higher than the top prospects in the draft. If the Spurs were drafting in the top 4, then the risk of drafting Poku might be too much, but at 11 I feel like they are at the perfect spot for taking a flyer on possibly the most talented player in the entire draft.

I know it isn't as detailed and evidence-ridden as "he reminds me of Jamal Crawford" or listing nit picked shooting numbers but it's something, tbh.

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 07:51 PM
The Derail King becomes the Derail Police. How fitting. This loser forget all the times he's derailed a thread?

Funny, he comes out swinging then a couple posts later pussies out by saying "oh, you're just derailing".

Bonafide pussy.

DAF86
09-14-2020, 07:56 PM
The Derail King becomes the Derail Police. How fitting. This loser forget all the times he's derailed a thread?

Funny, he comes out swinging then a couple posts later pussies out by saying "oh, you're just derailing".

Bonafide pussy.

Why am I pussying out? Because I don't feel like boring others with personal attacks they don't give a fuck about? If you want me to insult you so much I can PM you some fuck yous if you want. :lol

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 08:19 PM
Why am I pussying out? Because I don't feel like boring others with personal attacks they don't give a fuck about? If you want me to insult you so much I can PM you some fuck yous if you want. :lol

Literally look at your earliest posts in this thread. "I'm done acting civil" proceeds to "bore others with personal attacks" and call people retarded. This is ironic that you're taking this stance now when you made a post like that. You're so conflicted with yourself. It's hilarious. Became a paper tiger just like that.

DAF86
09-14-2020, 08:24 PM
Literally look at your earliest posts in this thread. "I'm done acting civil" proceeds to "bore others with personal attacks" and call people retarded. This is ironic that you're taking this stance now when you made a post like that. You're so conflicted with yourself. It's hilarious. Became a paper tiger just like that.

Yeah, for a post or two per time. Two pages of going back and forth insulting each other is boring for everyone involved and I don't feel like doing it. But I insist, if you feel like getting insulted just PM son and I'll take care of it for you, tbh. :lol

Dejounte
09-14-2020, 08:33 PM
Yeah, for a post or two per time. Two pages of going back and forth insulting each other is boring for everyone involved and I don't feel like doing it. But I insist, if you feel like getting insulted just PM son and I'll take care of it for you, tbh. :lol

I don't get insulted by words meant to dehumanize the mentally disabled. I become insulted FOR those people from lowly scumbags who think it's proper to throw words like that around. Go ahead and PM me if you wish. What are you going to do? Spam me with your childish emojis? All you have to do is send me a PM of your dumbass takes on NBA players and prospects like you normally do in each thread and I'll already feel insulted that someone could have such awful takes.

Chinook
09-14-2020, 08:37 PM
I'm sorry, but this DJ/DAF beef is just bizarre. I almost feel bad for Poke that his thread is being hijacked behind this Political Forum bullshit.

DAF86
09-14-2020, 09:01 PM
I don't get insulted by words meant to dehumanize the mentally disabled. I become insulted FOR those people from lowly scumbags who think it's proper to throw words like that around. Go ahead and PM me if you wish. What are you going to do? Spam me with your childish emojis? All you have to do is send me a PM of your dumbass takes on NBA players and prospects like you normally do in each thread and I'll already feel insulted that someone could have such awful takes.

Dude, if I really wanted to make some damage I would use the personal information you stupidly shared here for no reason. But I don't. Just stop being such a butthurt, weak minded poster and stop taking everything said on a sports forum so seriously.

Now, if you excuse me, I will take my talents elswhere so as to stop boring people to death with this retardation, tbh. :lol

gambit1990
09-15-2020, 12:53 AM
just saw a 30 second clip of him, do not draft. would be a major bust at #11.

rankingtear
09-15-2020, 05:14 AM
Read an article comparing him to Bertans ( tall movement shooter ) and Jokic ( passing IQ ) hybrid.

exstatic
09-15-2020, 06:44 AM
just saw a 30 second clip of him, do not draft. would be a major bust at #11.

From 30 seconds...just wow.

exstatic
09-15-2020, 06:45 AM
Read an article comparing him to Bertans ( tall movement shooter ) and Jokic ( passing IQ ) hybrid.

I’ve seen “taller Bertans with better defense and rebounding”.

gambit1990
09-15-2020, 07:00 AM
From 30 seconds...just wow.
really doesn’t take much TBH.

exstatic
09-15-2020, 08:00 AM
really doesn’t take much TBH.

Not if you’re predisposed, I guess.

R. DeMurre
09-15-2020, 01:52 PM
I don't see the Bertans comp. I've posted before about how I think Bjelica is a supercharged version of Bertans, with good shooting but more rebounds, assists, blocks, and steals. Bjelica can at least hold his own on defense, whereas Bertans generally can't. But that comparison makes sense to me. Poku's best case scenario defensively would be guarding an opposing team's lesser offensive threat at C, PF, or SF, and being allowed to be a kind of free safety for steals in the passing lanes, help side blocks, and defensive rebounds. On offense, his best use would be as a perimeter passer/initiator or 3 pt shooter-- in other words, a 7' SG. Other than shooting the three and being European, his game is nothing like Bertan's.

BackHome
09-15-2020, 05:02 PM
I think Bertans kinda got neutered by Pop by only allowing him to shoot the 3 ball I think he could have done a lot more but was regulated to run to a slot and then either pass or shoot the ball. Poku is going to have to have the ball in his hands a lot more then Bertans for him to be truly reach his true potential.

DAF86
09-15-2020, 05:46 PM
I don't see the Bertans comp. I've posted before about how I think Bjelica is a supercharged version of Bertans, with good shooting but more rebounds, assists, blocks, and steals. Bjelica can at least hold his own on defense, whereas Bertans generally can't. But that comparison makes sense to me. Poku's best case scenario defensively would be guarding an opposing team's lesser offensive threat at C, PF, or SF, and being allowed to be a kind of free safety for steals in the passing lanes, help side blocks, and defensive rebounds. On offense, his best use would be as a perimeter passer/initiator or 3 pt shooter-- in other words, a 7' SG. Other than shooting the three and being European, his game is nothing like Bertan's.

Agreed, Bertans is a player in the mold or JJ Reddick, Kyle Korver, Belinelli, Klay Thompson in the sense that he's pretty much a shooter that can hit coming off screens and spot ups but isn't someone that you can give the ball to and have him create. Whereas Pokusevski is a ball handler. Very different players on the offensive side of the ball.

On defense, however, I do see more of a similarity. They aren't liabilities by any means but they need to be Hidden on the lesser players of the opposing teams, with the difference that Pokusevski has the potential to be a playmaker on that end. Not a one on one stopper, but a guy that can create positive plays on a variety of ways.

gambit1990
09-15-2020, 05:55 PM
people mentioning his blocking ability... he may have good instinct but he's not gonna be meeting people that are 5'8 at the rim in the nba.

gambit1990
09-15-2020, 06:00 PM
surprised so many people are high on him tbh.

i don't trust his frame and that's something you can't change at all.

i'm getting a yi jianlian career sort of vibe. do not draft this man at #11.

Dejounte
09-15-2020, 06:01 PM
Are people ignoring the words Bertans and Jokic hybrid?

Jokic is the centerpiece of the offense and has one of the best vision in the game.

It's like people flip out when they read a player's name and ignore all context behind that sentence. Just like when I said Poku moves on the court like Jamal.

Bertans + Jokic hybrid is very much a different player than just Bertans.

DAF86 have you read my PM or we are going to be stuck in this cycle?

DAF86
09-15-2020, 06:12 PM
Are people ignoring the words Bertans and Jokic hybrid?

Jokic is the centerpiece of the offense and has one of the best vision in the game.

It's like people flip out when they read a player's name and ignore all context behind that sentence. Just like when I said Poku moves on the court like Jamal.

Bertans + Jokic hybrid is very much a different player than just Bertans.

DAF86 have you read my PM or we are going to be stuck in this cycle?

I saw it son, and I'm with you. I wasn't trying to argue with you, tbh. I was just agreeing with R. DeMurre that Pokusevski and Bertans aren't all that similar. FWIW, I know you aren't one of the people saying Pokusevski=Bertans, but there are a lot of other people that are, tbh.

Dejounte
09-15-2020, 06:21 PM
I saw it son, and I'm with you. I wasn't trying to argue with you, tbh. I was just agreeing with R. DeMurre that Pokusevski and Bertans aren't all that similar. FWIW, I know you aren't one of the people saying Pokusevski=Bertans, but there are a lot of other people that are, tbh.

With me? Which one, the first PM or the second PM? Just checking because the PM system doesn't work sometimes.

And all I'm saying is that if Poku has the elements of fast shooting release, off-ball tendencies, and marksmanship of Bertans while the rest of Poku's game is different... Is that so bad? Comparisons don't have to carry everything over, Poku isnt a stiff like Bertans but hell yeah I would want some aspects of Bertans (shooting) to be on a player like Poku. Hell yeah I would say yes to a 7'0 player who moves as fast as Jamal, has most of his dribble set, and overall body fluidity of a guard like Jamal. Everything doesn't have to carryover.

DAF86
09-15-2020, 06:29 PM
With me? Which one, the first PM or the second PM? Just checking because the PM system doesn't work sometimes.

And all I'm saying is that if Poku has the elements of fast shooting release, off-ball tendencies, and marksmanship of Bertans while the rest of Poku's game is different... Is that so bad? Comparisons don't have to carry everything over, Poku isnt a stiff like Bertans but hell yeah I would want some aspects of Bertans (shooting) to be on a player like Poku. Hell yeah I would say yes to a 7'0 player who moves as fast as Jamal, has most of his dribble set, and overall body fluidity of a guard like Jamal. Everything doesn't have to carryover.

The chances of Poku ever developing into the kind of shooter Bertans is are pretty much none existent, imho. Not because Poku doesn't have the potential to be a very good shooter but because Bertans is just too elite on that aspect, he is arguably one of the top 5 best shooters in the World.

Bertans' game consists of coming off screens and spoting up waiting for opportunities. He's strictly an off-ball player, while Pokusevski is at his best when he is the one with the ball in his hands creating for others.

Dejounte
09-15-2020, 06:30 PM
If Spurs draft Poku, they should sign PJ Tucker.

PG: White
SG: Keldon
SF: Poku
PF: PJ Tucker
C: Poetl

On defense:

PG: White
SG: Keldon
SF: PJ Tucker
PF: Poku
C: Poetl

We would need a stocky, strong and tough forward who is fast enough to guard quick forwards/wings on defense with Poku on the floor.

Dejounte
09-15-2020, 06:35 PM
The chances of Poku ever developing into the kind of shooter Bertans are pretty much none existent, imho, not because Poku doesn't have the potential to be a very good shooter but because Bertans is just too elite on that aspect, he is arguably one of the top 5 best shooters in the World.

Bertans' game consists of coming off screens and spoting up waiting for opportunities. He's strictly an off-ball player, while Pokusevski is at his best when he is the one with the ball in his hands creating for others.

Fair point on your first.

On the second, I don't think you are still understanding what I'm trying to say.... Poku will not have the ball 100% of the time. For the times he's playing off the ball, there's nothing wrong with saying he can be similar to Bertans in this aspect. 80% of the time he does have the ball, he's a wing with vision. If this is still not understood, forget it.

rankingtear
09-15-2020, 06:54 PM
Yeah, nobody is saying he will top out as Bertans or shoot the ball like Bertans. I think the Bertans thing is with regard to a big movement shooter. The article is saying the floor for Poku may not be so low, movement shooters regardless of defensive deficiencies are playable early.

Dejounte
09-16-2020, 05:14 PM
Simplis working with Poku, too. timvp ZeusWillJudge

Simplis posted on his IG stories of Poku training on his dribble.
ace3g do you mind uploading these stories? Please and thank you.

The Truth #6
09-16-2020, 05:19 PM
I love the idea of drafting this guy, but I’m not sure if he would ever be in a crunch time lineup in the playoffs, even if he does pan out. But on the other hand, in three years when his game starts to come around, ideally, who knows how much the league will have changed to accommodate players like him. It’s a head scratcher, for me.

ace3g
09-16-2020, 06:54 PM
Simplis working with Poku, too. timvp (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8) ZeusWillJudge (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=54031)

Simplis posted on his IG stories of Poku training on his dribble.
ace3g (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=2345) do you mind uploading these stories? Please and thank you.

https://twitter.com/ace3g/status/1306380671695216642

https://twitter.com/ace3g/status/1306380476102225921

https://twitter.com/ace3g/status/1306380191711731714

exstatic
09-16-2020, 07:26 PM
The Stepien article said that if he were able to play the 5, he'd break NBA defenses. Sound familiar?

Dejounte
09-16-2020, 07:28 PM
The Stepien article said that if he were able to play the 5, he'd break NBA defenses. Sound familiar?

I like him but calm your tits

exstatic
09-16-2020, 07:33 PM
I like him but calm your tits

That would be the 5% scenario. Not likely, but damn...

timvp
09-16-2020, 07:44 PM
Good stuff, Dejounte and ace3g. Watching him move, you can't tell Poku is a seven-footer. From those angles, it even looks like he's like 6-foot-2. :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiCF7GjdxmA

Not sure if that video was posted yet but it's pretty interesting even though it's over a year old. Poku's English is good, he's the son of a coach, his current coach (Tsaldaris -- pretty well-known guard in Greece the last couple decades) seems to like him and that's some clear footage of just how skinny he is, tbh.

baknedkly
09-16-2020, 07:46 PM
I honestly don't mind drafting him at 11 with the skill set he possesses from watching the videos. However, this is a home run swing type of pick that is for the future as he probably won't be ready to really contribute for at least 2-3 years with the team. His first couple of years will require him gaining strength and playing experience with our G-league team before really being ready to break on to the roster in year 3 as a rotational piece. It really isn't a problem if he is brought along this way as his skill set can be taken advantage of by the new coach, probably Becky Hammon. This will be good for him because if he were to play under Pop he would never be allowed to make mistakes and would not play. But if he can be developed into a Nikola Bertans or Davis Jokic in 3 years then we have a weapon.

Dejounte
09-16-2020, 07:53 PM
I honestly don't mind drafting him at 11 with the skill set he possesses from watching the videos. However, this is a home run swing type of pick that is for the future as he probably won't be ready to really contribute for at least 2-3 years with the team. His first couple of years will require him gaining strength and playing experience with our G-league team before really being ready to break on to the roster in year 3 as a rotational piece. It really isn't a problem if he is brought along this way as his skill set can be taken advantage of by the new coach, probably Becky Hammon. This will be good for him because if he were to play under Pop he would never be allowed to make mistakes and would not play. But if he can be developed into a Nikola Bertans or Davis Jokic in 3 years then we have a weapon.

Meh I think the "he's ready in a couple years" thing is a bit overstated

Like I said in the past, adding strength and/or weight isn't going to affect his offensive game because he has a mind of a wing. This isn't a Luka situation because the reason Luka isn't quite as ready is because his strengths currently lie in his ability to make 3's and slash. He's a turnover machine when he tries to handle the ball longer than 7 seconds. Poku currently possesses more ball control. Poku will be more of a playmaker than ever try to bang down low on offense. On defense, he will be a liability but maybe his offense will offset that enough to find consistent playing time by the end of his rookie season.

He also needs to tone it way the fuck down on the 3's.

exstatic
09-16-2020, 07:54 PM
The one takeaway from those IG posts was that his dribble is really low, like lower than Dejounte’s, and Poku is 7 ft. Tall. That is a good thing.

Dejounte
09-16-2020, 07:56 PM
The one takeaway from those IG posts was that his dribble is really low, like lower than Dejounte’s, and Poku is 7 ft. Tall. That is a good thing.

I almost wonder if he's going to have back issues later in his career.

rankingtear
09-16-2020, 08:06 PM
He's 7' feet but probably 6'10 functionally due to long neck and long head. Upper body is skinny but lower body seems to be fine. Good wingspan (7'3) that's why he can dribble lower relative to height much like zinger and durant. If you look at it functionally he is 6'10 with a 7'3 (+5) wingspan with a decent lower body ( non bol bol type ), only needs to add muscle in the upper body.

baknedkly
09-16-2020, 08:10 PM
I agree. I'm not saying that he can't contribute but he probably needs the G-league for strength and also just to not have to be under Pop getting his spirit and will broken. I don't want him to be a constant banger but he does need to be able to take advantage of having smaller players on him with his skill set. I also agree he does need to tone down the 3s just like 90% of the NBA players in the league. I'm really tired of the whole analytics thing. A 15 ft made 2 pointer is better than a missed 22 ft 3 pointer. It is usually easier to hit the target the closer in you are vs being further away.

exstatic
09-16-2020, 08:30 PM
I agree. I'm not saying that he can't contribute but he probably needs the G-league for strength and also just to not have to be under Pop getting his spirit and will broken. I don't want him to be a constant banger but he does need to be able to take advantage of having smaller players on him with his skill set. I also agree he does need to tone down the 3s just like 90% of the NBA players in the league. I'm really tired of the whole analytics thing. A 15 ft made 2 pointer is better than a missed 22 ft 3 pointer. It is usually easier to hit the target the closer in you are vs being further away.

The thing is, if the 3 point guy shoots 37%, not even elite, the two point guy needs to shoot 55% on two point jumpers to match him in an equal number of shots. That’s unsustainable over time.

100 shots

55 2 pointers = 110pts
37 3 pointers = 111pts

You’re never going to put the genie back in the bottle, but offenses would be somewhat more varied if the NBA would change the rules back, and allow defenders to fight over screens. Less switching = fewer mismatches on bigs leading to easy threes. Make them at least work for it.

DAF86
09-16-2020, 08:36 PM
Yeah, the "tone it down with three pointers" doesn't make sense, specially for a team sorely lacking volume 3pt shooting like the Spurs.

ace3g
09-16-2020, 08:42 PM
https://twitter.com/ace3g/status/1306408123897319425

Russ
09-16-2020, 09:39 PM
You’re never going to put the genie back in the bottle, but offenses would be somewhat more varied if the NBA would change the rules back, and allow defenders to fight over screens. Less switching = fewer mismatches on bigs leading to easy threes. Make them at least work for it.

And move the three-point line back a foot -- then you might not even need to worry about defensive rules.

exstatic
09-16-2020, 10:18 PM
And move the three-point line back a foot -- then you might not even need to worry about defensive rules.

I’m not sure how effective that would be. Teams set picks WAY outside the arc, and players regularly launch from 25. I think the best remedy is to allow defenders to fight over picks and contest shots.

rankingtear
09-17-2020, 04:49 AM
If Joker reaches the finals i'm guessing this guy gets picked in the mid lottery.

The Truth #6
09-17-2020, 07:12 AM
In a draft that is considered weak, I can see him rising because of his high ceiling. It’s possible he won’t even be around by the time the Spurs pick.

exstatic
09-17-2020, 07:30 AM
In a draft that is considered weak, I can see him rising because of his high ceiling. It’s possible he won’t even be around by the time the Spurs pick.

I’ve thought from the beginning that he could be NY bound at #8. They got screwed by the lottery balls, dropping two spots from 6, when they had good odds to move up. They spent a much higher pick on Kristaps a few years back.

Dejounte
09-17-2020, 07:40 AM
If Poku moves top 10, it's likely Toppin there at 11. So win/ win.

Seventyniner
09-17-2020, 08:28 AM
I’m not sure how effective that would be. Teams set picks WAY outside the arc, and players regularly launch from 25. I think the best remedy is to allow defenders to fight over picks and contest shots.

My favorite proposed change is to not bend the three-point line at the elbow but instead have it just continue to the sideline in the same arc. That eliminates around 25% of the length of the line (corner and near-corner threes) and makes it far easier to cover the whole thing.

The Truth #6
09-17-2020, 09:41 AM
My favorite proposed change is to not bend the three-point line at the elbow but instead have it just continue to the sideline in the same arc. That eliminates around 25% of the length of the line (corner and near-corner threes) and makes it far easier to cover the whole thing.

Rather than change the three-point line, I’ve read interesting suggestions of changing the size of the paint to pull the game inside. I think that could be doable.

The Truth #6
09-17-2020, 09:46 AM

That would be great. In typical Spurs fashion, some solid player will probably drop to us, and hopefully the Spurs will look like geniuses again on draft day.

cd021
09-17-2020, 06:57 PM
I doubt that Toppin would, but someone would fall out by default. I don't think anyone would take Poku in the top 10 though.

BackHome
09-17-2020, 07:48 PM
My Spider sense went OFF when coach said “He has Battled Injuries In The Past”. Still really like the kid but they better due there due diligence with his medical.

keithington1
09-17-2020, 08:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXuvcomwOR8Spurs are salivating over this scouting report. Looks more talented than Samanic and Johnson was the # 2 SG on the Spurs board. That means Samanic was super high on their board. Poku is like skinny mobile Jokic. When it comes to a player developing decision making you have to trust the Spurs development staff. Needs just 20 pounds or so to his frame to keep his speed but also bully some players. A trade back might be to risky

ace3g
09-17-2020, 08:52 PM
https://twitter.com/ace3g/status/1306772623280414720

Russ
09-17-2020, 09:13 PM
Poku is like skinny mobile Jokic.

Yeah, Jokic has made Poku a lotta money just recently.

keithington1
09-17-2020, 09:22 PM
Yeah, Jokic has made Poku a lotta money just recently.Knicks might go Porzingis 2.0

Atl Spur
09-18-2020, 12:22 AM
We have Luka......

Phenomanul
09-18-2020, 12:36 AM
Wasn’t Robinson’s Senior year weight at the Naval Academy around 205 lb?

pad300
09-18-2020, 09:45 AM
We'll I'll leave this 4 all you to watch and hopefully break this collective cognitive discordance about this dude
its 18 year old Kevind Durant playing against SRs and Juniors in the big 12 who are practically men. If you can SEE the difference...(eye test ya'll that scouting tape where this THINNER dude cant finish or barely finish around the rim with what appears to be 10ths graders...facepalm)

You can argue that you think he's too thin and won't fill out... it's a legitimate possibility. But let's have a little realism about NCAA ball. The starters for the opposition:

Charlie Burgess, JR
Martin Zeno, JR
Jarrius Jackson, SO
Michael Prince, SR
John Plefka, SO

Charlie Burgess, Martin Zeno, Michael Prince, and John Plefka played a combined 0 paid minutes, anywhere covered by B-Ball Reference
Jarrius Jackson (6'2 and presumably the PG) made 4 years in Serie A at 27 years old (ie after working on his skills for another 7 or so years), and lead the league in turnover percentage...

The players in Greek second division are in fact, paid... Not a lot, but they are paid (more than the G-league, for example).

Also, Plefka was the biggest player at 6'8 & 245 - I will give you that's man size. None of the rest weighed more than 210 - calling them full grown men is bullshit.

By contrast, the midranked team in greek A2 this year,
https://basketball.eurobasket.com/team/Greece/AS-Karditsas/16629

starters:
Nikos Kalles, C, 6'11
Vangelis Papadopoulos, PF, 6'9
Theodoros Karras, SF, 6'10
Nikos Paparegkas, SG, 6'7
Nikos Kaklamanos, PG, 6'3

Can't find the weights, but enough BS about "10th graders" ...

kobyz
09-18-2020, 11:26 AM
How's Pau Gasoft as comparison? Remember Pau was a PG before coming to the NBA

Dejounte
09-18-2020, 11:50 AM
TheDrewShow seriously made a youtube video about this. Lmao! I love this guy and his dedication.

pad300
09-18-2020, 12:51 PM
TheDrewShow seriously made a youtube video about this. Lmao! I love this guy and his dedication.

He's enthusiastic all right... but he didn't address my point at all...

pad300
09-18-2020, 01:00 PM
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.prod.www.spiegel.de%2Fimages% 2F88749b9d-0001-0004-0000-000001267263_w1250_r1.4204545454545454_fpx35.2_fpy 50.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

I thnk #11 there is Dirk Nowitzki as drafted... Skinny is a fact of life for 18 year old white 7 ft'ers.

ZeusWillJudge
09-18-2020, 01:14 PM
I've been trying to figure out who Pokusevski reminds me of. He's a less-muscular Anthony Randolph. Randolph was the guy who supposedly had the most upside in the draft that year. He was 6'11" (shoes), and about 190 lbs. He was young, and I remember comments that he ran the floor like a gazelle, and had mad skills that he just needed to grow into. They were pimping him as high as #5 before the draft, and he wound up going at #14.

Randolph was never really a bust, he just didn't come anywhere close to the fabulous upside he was supposed to have - partly because he was too light, and then he was a different player when he finally bulked up to around 230 lbs.

Here he is, folks... the last Aleksej Pokusevski.

https://steveboylephoto.photoshelter.com/img/pixel.gif
https://d9nvuahg4xykp.cloudfront.net/7894037843344284738/7606474435961603197.jpg

ZeusWillJudge
09-18-2020, 01:19 PM
Here is a neat little pre-draft scouting report on Randolph. See if it reminds you of anybody:

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/anthony-randolph/

timvp
09-18-2020, 01:43 PM
https://youtu.be/WNV8XjZ-8jA

:lol, tbh

Poku's lowlights make you wonder if he could hack it in the G League, much less than NBA. But the tools are also difficult to ignore...

timvp
09-18-2020, 01:48 PM
I've been trying to figure out who Pokusevski reminds me of. He's a less-muscular Anthony Randolph. Randolph was the guy who supposedly had the most upside in the draft that year. He was 6'11" (shoes), and about 190 lbs. He was young, and I remember comments that he ran the floor like a gazelle, and had mad skills that he just needed to grow into. They were pimping him as high as #5 before the draft, and he wound up going at #14.

Randolph was never really a bust, he just didn't come anywhere close to the fabulous upside he was supposed to have - partly because he was too light, and then he was a different player when he finally bulked up to around 230 lbs.

https://d9nvuahg4xykp.cloudfront.net/7894037843344284738/7606474435961603197.jpg

That's a good comp. Hadn't thought of that one :tu

Randolph also had epic tools for his height but it turned out his body was just too weak and his extra extra length ended up being more of a disadvantage than anything.

A Poku optimist would point out that the physicality of the league was a lot higher back when Randolph was a prospect. A Poku pessimist would respond that Randolph was more of an athlete and more coordinated and he never really came close to making it.

It's a tough call, tbh.

Dejounte
09-18-2020, 02:01 PM
:lol, tbh

Poku's lowlights make you wonder if he could hack it in the G League, much less than NBA. But the tools are also difficult to ignore...

Please bold this guy already, you DOINK!!

Lmfao

exstatic
09-18-2020, 02:05 PM

Dinosaurs roamed the earth when he was drafted, and the NBA paint. It might as well have been 1948 instead of 2008, for all the validity it holds for today’s NBA.

Weak sauce.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-18-2020, 03:26 PM

I laughed. :tu

The Truth #6
09-18-2020, 04:16 PM
Also, wasn’t Randolph sort of an asshole? Having a difficult personality usually inhibits one’s professional prospects. But the body type is pretty close.

Atl Spur
09-18-2020, 04:48 PM
I don’t remember Randolph having those handles and passing as “thinner”.

objective
09-18-2020, 05:15 PM
I don’t remember Randolph having those handles and passing as “thinner”.

His nickname was 'Magic' Randolph, no lie, because of his passing

But it was often used in a mocking way

BackHome
09-18-2020, 05:35 PM
Yeah from watching vids Randolf is 6’9 or 6’10 and is athletic around the rim as far as dunking and has better lateral speed then Poku. But Poku is a better passer and better outside shooter then Randolf.

DAF86
09-18-2020, 05:45 PM

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

DAF86
09-18-2020, 05:47 PM

Anthony Randolph in today's NBA would be a lot more valuable, tbh.

DAF86
09-18-2020, 05:58 PM
I mean, give me a longer, more skilled Anthony Randolph on today's NBA and under the Spurs' developing staff any day of the week, tbh. Specially on this week ass draft, tbh.

rankingtear
09-18-2020, 06:03 PM
Randolph busting because of being thin is new to me. Scouting report is peppered with maturity and character red flags. Even in the league attitude issues were being reported. He even admitted it when he was out of the league. He's talented but basketball IQ is low, a better comparison for him in this draft is Jaden McDaniels.

ZeusWillJudge
09-18-2020, 06:12 PM
Yeah from watching vids Randolf is 6’9 or 6’10 and is athletic around the rim as far as dunking and has better lateral speed then Poku. But Poku is a better passer and better outside shooter then Randolf.

I think Randolph had been listed as 6'11", and even 7' by some. At the combine he was "only" 6'10.25" without shoes, which is pretty typical. He had a 7'3" wingspan, and Pokusevski is supposed to have a 7'3" wingspan. The scouting reports tried to say that Randolph was 220 lbs. but he weighed in at 197 lbs. which is really, really close to what Pokusevski weighs (even though some people are trying to say he's a lot heavier). Randolph had a 9'1" standing reach at the combine, and ESPN says that Pokusevski has a 9'1" standing reach. So, we can all agree that the physical bodies are pretty damn close to identical?

Calling him Magic Randolph wasn't mocking at first - it was when he couldn't live up to it that people started that. The way they talked about him was so similar to the way they're talking about Pokusevski you almost couldn't tell them apart, except for the fact that Randolph made a higher percentage from the floor, but didn't shoot 3's. Pokusevski shoots 3's, but only at a 32% clip so far. Randolph got pushed around a lot when he got to the NBA, and Pokusevski will too. No base, high center of gravity.

You guys think what you want. But the two stories start out the same, and I think they end the same.

I mean, give me a longer, more skilled Anthony Randolph on today's NBA and under the Spurs' developing staff any day of the week, tbh. Specially on this week ass draft, tbh.

Randolph busting because of being thin is new to me. Scouting report is peppered with maturity and character red flags. Even in the league attitude issues were being reported. He even admitted it when he was out of the league. He's talented but basketball IQ is low, a better comparison for him in this draft is Jaden McDaniels.

LMAO. You guys are right. Pokusevski is going to be a point-center superstar for the next generation. A taller Magic Johnson.

True believers. :lol

rankingtear
09-18-2020, 06:34 PM
LMAO.You guys are right. Pokusevski is going to be a point-center superstar for the next generation. A taller Magic Johnson.

True believers. :lol

When presented with searchable facts you default to mocking the poster.

pad300
09-18-2020, 06:43 PM
Yeah, Randolph is a pretty decent physical comparison. Randolph did have an attitude and work ethic questions; he didn't develop much more than what he came into the league with. Also the league has changed a lot.

Like I estimated 75% chance of being a least a bench guy (Which Randolph was, he got a second contract. He also got his shit a bit together after kicked out of the NBA and made himself a Euroleague career that was pretty decent - A euroleague and 2 spanish championships). With a better attitude, he probably would have played 10 years in the league...

A guy like that, on a strong development path, in the current league? Yeah, he could be pretty good.

DAF86
09-18-2020, 09:56 PM
LMAO. You guys are right. Pokusevski is going to be a point-center superstar for the next generation. A taller Magic Johnson.

True believers. :lol[/FONT]

No son, you are the one that is right. Pokusevski is the next Anthony Randolph 0.1. There's no chance he does anything relevant. He should just end himself right now, tbh.

DAF86
09-21-2020, 09:31 PM
https://twitter.com/THalfCourtPress/status/1308125660913696768?s=19

The Spurs can go so many ways in this draft, it's crazy.

All I'm hoping for is that they don't miss out on their #1 target, whoever that might be. Nobody better cock block the Spurs.

That NBA workout (totally legal, btw, no ilegal substances whatsoever) doing the work.

#draftPoku #shootforthestars #iftheSpursdrafthimandhedoesntpanoutimgonnagetkill ed

DAF86
09-21-2020, 09:36 PM
If you go to that Twitter post, Knicks fans are arguing about drafting Poku. He might not be available at 11, tbh.

Dejounte
09-21-2020, 09:44 PM
That NBA workout (totally legal, btw, no ilegal substances whatsoever) doing the work.

#draftPoku #shootforthestars #iftheSpursdrafthimandhedoesntpanoutimgonnagetkill ed

I get your excitement but like I said in the other thread, it wasn't the NBA workout that changed him... It was whatever he did overseas. Rookie Spur Bertans (2017) looks different than newly drafted Bertans (2011, the one in the photo).

DAF86
09-21-2020, 09:48 PM
I get your excitement but like I said in the other thread, it wasn't the NBA workout that changed him... It was whatever he did overseas. Rookie Spur Bertans (2017) looks different than newly drafted Bertans (2011, the one in the photo).

That's just nature at work, tbh. I was 145 at around age 19, one year later I was 175 with the exact same height.

exstatic
09-21-2020, 09:48 PM
If you go to that Twitter post, Knicks fans are arguing about drafting Poku. He might not be available at 11, tbh.

I’ve said from the start that the team most likely to pick him before 11 is NY.

ace3g
09-21-2020, 10:11 PM
https://twitter.com/ace3g/status/1308242506904027138

BackHome
09-21-2020, 10:30 PM
New York would get blasted I think it’s they don’t want the twice bitten as they were with another 7 European player they had on their team that did not end well.

DAF86
09-21-2020, 10:33 PM
New York would get blasted I think it’s they don’t want the twice bitten as they were with another 7 European player they had on their team that did not end well.

It didn't end well because of what happened later, the pick on itself was a good one, tbh. I think this is the reason why so many Knicks fans want to draft Poku.

XDT76
09-21-2020, 10:59 PM
If drafted what position do we expect him to play, I observed a few tendencies from him, he is frequently the guy at the top of the key during offence and almost camp in the key on defence.

Dejounte
09-21-2020, 11:13 PM
If drafted what position do we expect him to play, I observed a few tendencies from him, he is frequently the guy at the top of the key during offence and almost camp in the key on defence.

SG/SF on offense (secondary playmaker and occasional spot ups for 3s)
PF on defense, or maybe C (weakside blocks when teammate on wing defense fails, will suffer with post defense unless he gains strength)

rankingtear
09-22-2020, 05:34 AM
The doink man maybe right, it's pass the draft date and poku still doesn't look like an nba player.

Ocotillo
09-22-2020, 07:26 AM

Of course, Knick fan is the ones who actually attend the draft in person and always have that crushing, WTF reaction when their pick selection is revealed. Kind of like this message board every draft year. :lol

Seventyniner
09-22-2020, 09:46 AM
Of course, Knick fan is the ones who actually attend the draft in person and always have that crushing, WTF reaction when their pick selection is revealed. Kind of like this message board every draft year. :lol

The Knicks fans hated the Porzingis pick at the time but it turns out to have been a pretty good one. They just want big names, forget production.

DAF86
09-22-2020, 12:35 PM
The doink man maybe right, it's pass the draft date and poku still doesn't look like an nba player.

Are you expecting Poku to gain 20 lbs of muscle before the draft? :lol

Atl Spur
09-22-2020, 01:51 PM
He seems competitive.....I like that!

Atl Spur
09-22-2020, 01:52 PM
He’s a point forward .... 20 or so more pounds in the next two to three years should do it����

pad300
09-22-2020, 02:04 PM
Internet doctor strikes again...

If he does have Marfan, they'll catch it in the medicals.

DAF86
09-22-2020, 05:58 PM
Internet doctor strikes again...

If he does have Marfan, they'll catch it in the medicals.

He wouldn't be able to play professional sports if he had that. :lol

R. DeMurre
09-22-2020, 06:32 PM
Measurements day at whatever version of the combine we get will tell teams a lot. His last measured/stated weights were 196, 200, and 205, stretching from his U18 tournament days up to his most recent Olympiacos profile page. If he shows up at 212 or something like that, I think teams will view that as proof that he's filling out naturally and can reasonably expect to grow towards 225-230. If he weighs in at 202-- especially after no hoops for over 6 months-- I think some will be scared off.

DAF86
09-22-2020, 06:41 PM
Measurements day at whatever version of the combine we get will tell teams a lot. His last measured/stated weights were 196, 200, and 205, stretching from his U18 tournament days up to his most recent Olympiacos profile page. If he shows up at 212 or something like that, I think teams will view that as proof that he's filling naturally and can reasonably expect to grow towards 225-230. If he weighs in at 202-- especially after no hoops for over 6 months-- I think some will be scared off.

Maybe it's just me, but he looks a bit more filled on these last Instagram stories.

pad300
09-22-2020, 09:15 PM
He wouldn't be able to play professional sports if he had that. :lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaiah_Austin

Found out about it as part of the draft. He ended up playing pro, although not in the NBA.

Dejounte
09-23-2020, 08:39 AM
I want a thread with Drew just shit talking everybody and anybody. That would be the most fun and most entertaining thread ever. Drew needs his own show, man. A Spurstalk spin-off.

kobyz
09-23-2020, 11:33 AM
Is he not the next Slowmo to you?

buttsR4rebounding
09-23-2020, 03:04 PM
Is he not the next Slowmo to you?

Slowmo?? Hell, no! He is not bashful about shooting. He probably has more 3 point attempts last season than Kyle has in his career.

exstatic
09-24-2020, 03:08 PM
Video from Mike Schmitz. Not branded as such, but he used to be with D/X.

https://twitter.com/mike_schmitz/status/1308929036673048578?s=21

ZeusWillJudge
09-24-2020, 03:58 PM
https://i.imgur.com/dJkEpqQ.png

My Favorite Marfan? WTF kind of a diseased mind comes up with that? I mean... I laughed. But it's not my fault. :lol

He does look like an alien in that picture, doesn't he? I always pull for these young guys to make it, but man he is painfully skinny. Maybe he grew six inches in a year or something, and he just hadn't filled out.

BackHome
09-24-2020, 05:19 PM

Nice find still like him just not sure on this pick not because of talent I more concerned about him being injury prone because of past. I can't find much with regards to his past medical issues but have read and seen a couple of vids mention that he has battled injuries in prior years.

If you pick him you really swinging for the fences and Poku will definitely be in G League working out on getting bigger if we draft him. Which is OK cause I am telling you straight up I am praying that we tank and get a top 5 draft pick in 2021 man oh man is that draft class going to be loaded.

exstatic
09-24-2020, 07:06 PM
Nice find still like him just not sure on this pick not because of talent I more concerned about him being injury prone because of past. I can't find much with regards to his past medical issues but have read and seen a couple of vids mention that he has battled injuries in prior years.

If you pick him you really swinging for the fences and Poku will definitely be in G League working out on getting bigger if we draft him. Which is OK cause I am telling you straight up I am praying that we tank and get a top 5 draft pick in 2021 man oh man is that draft class going to be loaded.

If there weren’t questions, we’d be wondering which top 5 team would be picking him. There would be no chance for him to drop to 11.

D-Robinson 50 fan
09-24-2020, 09:50 PM

him and John Givony both work for ESPN now. They still put a few things on the draft express twitter page but don’t post stuff on the website because a lot of their content is behind a ESPN.com pay wall

The Truth #6
09-24-2020, 10:00 PM
That video from Schmitz makes him look better as a #11 pick. His playmaking from the top of the circle could be quite helpful for a team without a passing point guard. I’m not sure how he would play next to Luka—we’d likely be too soft.

Sugus
09-24-2020, 10:43 PM
That video from Schmitz makes him look better as a #11 pick. His playmaking from the top of the circle could be quite helpful for a team without a passing point guard. I’m not sure how he would play next to Luka—we’d likely be too soft.

We'd absolutely be too soft. I'm not buying Poku's rebounding numbers will translate well to the NBA - for most players, it might be true, but most players don't have his build. And Luka has never shown to be a good rebounder, which is part of why he doesn't make a good fit next to Poeltl, who is also a bad rebounder himself. And the defense thing as well... Neither Luka nor Poku will ever be adequate at guarding NBA centers. People were pulling their hairs out over Jakob's defense on Embiid/Jokic... You can expect an even worse version of that if we draft Poku, and that's IF he ever gets his body to a level where he can even play in the NBA, which is far from a given.

Having said that, I wouldn't dislike Poku as a pick. I'd be much more enticed by him if the Spurs had a second FRP, but I'd take it even as we are. If he's there at #11, you almost have to take him, if not for anything else, for his star potential in a mediocre draft. He's not #1 in my big board, but certainly top 5 in terms of prospects.

The Truth #6
09-24-2020, 11:32 PM
We'd absolutely be too soft. I'm not buying Poku's rebounding numbers will translate well to the NBA - for most players, it might be true, but most players don't have his build. And Luka has never shown to be a good rebounder, which is part of why he doesn't make a good fit next to Poeltl, who is also a bad rebounder himself. And the defense thing as well... Neither Luka nor Poku will ever be adequate at guarding NBA centers. People were pulling their hairs out over Jakob's defense on Embiid/Jokic... You can expect an even worse version of that if we draft Poku, and that's IF he ever gets his body to a level where he can even play in the NBA, which is far from a given.

Having said that, I wouldn't dislike Poku as a pick. I'd be much more enticed by him if the Spurs had a second FRP, but I'd take it even as we are. If he's there at #11, you almost have to take him, if not for anything else, for his star potential in a mediocre draft. He's not #1 in my big board, but certainly top 5 in terms of prospects.

Exactly. Well said.

objective
09-27-2020, 08:57 PM
Poku's agency is Wasserman, same group that represents Samanic. Poku is skipping the combine. :stirpot:

Jake from State Farm putting in work :stirpot:

Dejounte
09-27-2020, 08:59 PM
Poku's agency is Wasserman, same group that represents Samanic. Poku is skipping the combine. :stirpot:

Jake from State Farm putting in work :stirpot:

Maybe this is going over my head, but what are you trying to insinuate?

objective
09-27-2020, 09:02 PM

I'm joking that because Poku and Samanic share an agency that there is something afoot. It's a joke, but the Spurs in the past have tried to coordinate with agents they've worked with in the past to steer a player to them (like Batum whose agent was Ian's and there was that potentially orchestrated health scare that almost worked in getting Batum to SA).

The other joke is that Brian Wright looks like Jake from State Farm

exstatic
09-27-2020, 10:55 PM

Stashing players, and having them skip pre-draft events is totally Spursy. When I saw the combine list, and he wasn’t on it, that was my immediate reaction. Why else would an unknown not try to improve his position, unless he already knew he was going in the lottery?

Uriel
09-27-2020, 11:04 PM
Hmmm. Did the Spurs make a promise to Poku? :stirpot:

pad300
09-27-2020, 11:32 PM
Stashing players, and having them skip pre-draft events is totally Spursy. When I saw the combine list, and he wasn’t on it, that was my immediate reaction. Why else would an unknown not try to improve his position, unless he already knew he was going in the lottery?

a) Some players try to arrange to only go to certain teams by only working out for those teams.
b) Some players think they will look better in individual workouts vs the combine setting.
c) If it's a promise, that's no guarantee it's us making that promise

Dejounte
09-28-2020, 05:37 AM
Do people really think he would have jumped to the top 10 had he participated in the combine? Because that's the only reason to think that it was the Spurs who gave him the promise (if there was a promise).

exstatic
09-28-2020, 06:40 AM
Do people really think he would have jumped to the top 10 had he participated in the combine? Because that's the only reason to think that it was the Spurs who gave him the promise (if there was a promise).
I think if you’re a player seen as mid first to second round, and you don’t participate in the combine AT ALL, somethings up. The most wildly optimistic site out there for Poku, TaT, has him at #17. Why would you NOT want to improve upon that, unless you already know you have? Could be us, could be the Knicks. I’ll stick with those being his most likely lottery landing spots.

Dejounte
09-28-2020, 06:56 AM
I think if you’re a player seen as mid first to second round, and you don’t participate in the combine AT ALL, somethings up. The most wildly optimistic site out there for Poku, TaT, has him at #17. Why would you NOT want to improve upon that, unless you already know you have? Could be us, could be the Knicks. I’ll stick with those being his most likely lottery landing spots.

It could also be the other way around and he doesn't want to move down from #17 (or into the second round without guaranteed money) because he's afraid his numbers or medicals will turn away teams. There's not just one way to look at it, especially since he's had an injury history.

How fucked would it be if TheDrewShow turned out to be right? Lmao

Dejounte
09-28-2020, 07:07 AM
I don't know much about Marfan syndrome, so I looked it up online and found that these were the signs:

Long arms, legs and fingers
Tall and thin body type
Curved spine
Chest sinks in or sticks out
Flexible joints
Flat feet
Crowded teeth
Stretch marks on the skin that are not related to weight gain or loss

Come to think of it... I havent seen him smile much to show his teeth.

BackHome
09-28-2020, 07:23 AM
Yeah I don’t see Poku going in top 8 that is a huge gamble for teams as the draft top 10 has been pretty much set add that he is not participating won’t be able to sale that to fans. Even at 11 that is a huge gamble for us and am not sure the Organization has the cojones to do that pick.

Agree if I am Poku camp and I got a confirmed offer at anything above 17 I would sit my client out and let the chips fall especially if it’s a team that will help my client grow and be successful.

exstatic
09-28-2020, 07:26 AM
The Drew Show is a clown poster who’s been here forever. Take anything he throws out there with a grain of salt. Four or five of those traits would manifest in half of this draft class. Spreading unsubstantiated rumors is also fairly Jr. high school.

DAF86
09-28-2020, 04:24 PM
I don't know much about Marfan syndrome, so I looked it up online and found that these were the signs:

Long arms, legs and fingers
Tall and thin body type
Curved spine
Chest sinks in or sticks out
Flexible joints
Flat feet
Crowded teeth
Stretch marks on the skin that are not related to weight gain or loss

Come to think of it... I havent seen him smile much to show his teeth.

Dude, c'mon. :lol

Pretty much all of the guys mentioned here as favourites to be picked by the Spurs are not participating at the combine, are all of them hiding a condition? :lol

It sucks but it is what it is. We knew that it was possible for half the people to skip the combine on this pandemic situation. Heck, at first we thought we weren't going to have a combine at all.

D-Robinson 50 fan
09-28-2020, 05:37 PM
Sure the Marfan Jolly LEAN Giant is skipping the Combine, because he has Marfan Syndrome and they know that will get you banned from the league. LOL the Dregs of the Dregs of Spergs talk rooting for the team to blow a lottery pick, or ANY pick on this guys unfortunate misshapen body. LULS EYE TESTERS

Even if he skips the combine teams who ask for his medical info can get it, if his agent signs off on it.

some players only share medical info with teams they are interested in while others share with every team. It’s rare that a team drafts a player without checking their medical history

Atl Spur
09-28-2020, 06:08 PM
Multi BILLION dollar industry..........checking medicals is not even a question! If you don’t like the kid cool but please grow up with the clown type post. Thanks in advance homie����

PhantomDashCam
10-02-2020, 09:56 PM
Seeking "the next Dirk Nowitzki" after helping develop him in Dallas, newly-minted general manager Kiki Vandeweghe seized the opportunity during his first draft by selecting young 7-foot workout phenom: Nikoloz Tskitishvili. Never mind that the Nuggets front office reportedly had never seen him play live (https://www.denverstiffs.com/2013/9/5/4692668/nba-most-hyped-nikoloz-tskitishvilis-dramatic-disappointment). "Skita" was going to be the man.

https://www.denverstiffs.com/2013/9/5/4692668/nba-most-hyped-nikoloz-tskitishvilis-dramatic-disappointment

This is the guy he reminds me of.

PhantomDashCam
10-03-2020, 01:30 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/blob:https://www.spurstalk.com/6e5c97a1-12d0-4189-97f2-e3e5210114f7
If going to cherry pick images. This is what I meant.
https://www.gettyimages.com.au/detail/news-photo/nikoloz-tskitishvili-of-the-denver-nuggets-poses-mid-air-news-photo/1297781https://www.gettyimages.com.au/detail/news-photo/nikoloz-tskitishvili-of-the-denver-nuggets-poses-mid-air-news-photo/1297781

pad300
10-03-2020, 07:39 PM
Man it is going to be sooooo funny if we draft this guy and Drewshow just melts down...

Dejounte
10-03-2020, 08:19 PM
Would love to fast forward to the draft already...

BackHome
10-03-2020, 08:42 PM
You and me both it seems like this has been going on for a year.

wildbill2u
10-06-2020, 02:01 PM
I remember when the Spurs drafted a 7 footer from England who burned out it some minor Euro league? Not very relevant to the discussion, but Spurs were willing to take a flyer on this guy in a late round. Maybe for laughs????

DAF86
10-08-2020, 05:04 PM
The more I think about it, the more I want this guy. More and more we are seeing how having playmakers in as many positions as possible is conductive to winning basketball. Outside of the millions of combo guards in the draft, the only guy (projected to land around 11) that has that playmaking ability is Poku. Add to that the fact that he's a playmaker on defense too and it's hard for me to pass on this guy.

Dejounte
10-08-2020, 05:08 PM
The more I think about it, the more I want this guy. More and more we are seeing how having playmakers in as many positions as possible is conductive to winning basketball. Outside of the millions of combo guards in the draft, the only guy (projected to land around 11) that has that playmaking ability is Poku. Add to that the fact that he's a playmaker on defense too and it's hard for me to pass on this guy.

How could you "more" want this guy than you already did? You were already at 100%... I'm busting your balls here

DAF86
10-08-2020, 05:13 PM
How could you "more" want this guy than you already did? You were already at 100%... I'm busting your balls here

I'm at 110% now. Specially after seeing where the Heat got playing Adebayo and Iggy as point bigmen, tbh.

DAF86
10-16-2020, 10:59 PM
Wa3xU1XlbKE

R. DeMurre
11-16-2020, 12:43 PM
https://www.nba.com/nuggets/news/poku-profile-20201109a

"On a team that epitomizes position-less basketball, Pokuševski could fit right in Denver. As mentioned he’s got great range, speed and agility for a player his size. The key will be patience. Similar to Bol Bol, it might take a year or two of seasoning and conditioning to get him NBA ready as he currently weighs 201 pounds and has played just under 10 minutes of elite-level basketball. If there is a buy-in from both the player and the organization, the Nuggets could have another steal on their hands, if they select the 18-year-old. Another factor to consider is nationality. Pokuševski is Serbian and has actually been coached by none other than the Nuggets’ superstar center in Nikola Jokić in the national team’s youth program. That connection along with Vlatko Čančar, who hails from neighboring Slovenia, should help Pokuševski in transitioning to Denver."

Have to admit, a 2023 Denver team with Jokic, Poku, and Bol Bol on the floor at the same time would be pretty entertaining.

Seventyniner
11-16-2020, 01:22 PM
Have to admit, a 2023 Denver team with Jokic, Poku, and Bol Bol on the floor at the same time would be pretty entertaining.

Yeah, Jerami Grant is undersized to be playing PG in this lineup.

https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status/1286022560963076099

R. DeMurre
11-21-2020, 03:19 AM
Poor Poku: new to the country, new to the NBA, and in the first few days on a new roster, almost the entire team is traded away. I wonder if he stays in Greece another year.

NickiRasgo
11-21-2020, 12:10 PM
Poor Poku: new to the country, new to the NBA, and in the first few days on a new roster, almost the entire team is traded away. I wonder if he stays in Greece another year.

It's actually the other way around.
He'll have his opportunity to grow and focus to his game instead of winning - he'll have no pressure.
I think Sam Presti will find a way to look for a decent coaching staff to help him develop since with the picks they have, he'll need a good amount of decent coaching staff to develop the upcoming rookies.

pad300
11-21-2020, 12:29 PM
LOL Presti Flipping Marfan God for more picks for a NBA Retread of Retreads Johnson Shows not only what the Timber Pups concluded MarfanGod Was worth after bringing him in and kicking the tires (Buyers remorse) but also what Presti thinks he was worth.... LULZ dude who say this guy is some type of "Unicorn" of the Draft....

Are you trying to make sense here? Presti (OKC) has not "flipped" Poku (and I don't think he will; Poku is with the team that drafted him. Presti traded to move up to #17 (and accepted Johnson to make the salary cap work) and pick Poku. Nobody has "kicked the tires" - he hasn't played in so much as a NBA summer league.

R. DeMurre
11-21-2020, 01:27 PM
It's actually the other way around.
He'll have his opportunity to grow and focus to his game instead of winning - he'll have no pressure.
I think Sam Presti will find a way to look for a decent coaching staff to help him develop since with the picks they have, he'll need a good amount of decent coaching staff to develop the upcoming rookies.

We'll see-- I think Poku's strength in the future will be making a good team better rather than being the main guy, so trying to carry a load for a team in complete rebuild mode will be tough.

R. DeMurre
11-21-2020, 01:30 PM
LOL Presti Flipping Marfan God for more picks for a NBA Retread of Retreads Johnson Shows not only what the Timber Pups concluded MarfanGod Was worth after bringing him in and kicking the tires (Buyers remorse) but also what Presti thinks he was worth.... LULZ dude who say this guy is some type of "Unicorn" of the Draft....

Your Vince MacMahon meets Hunter S Thompson schtick is hilarious. Keep up the great work.

R. DeMurre
11-21-2020, 02:48 PM
Schtick? So you are on record that marfangod is on the all rookie team this year? Is that correct?

I'm on record that he's three years away.

R. DeMurre
11-21-2020, 07:21 PM
Then Im on the record that Presti definitely will not exercise the rookie option if even signs him to a rookie contract.

Edit I wrote this assuming you were fully aware the trade was for draft rights and no contracts had already been negotiated let alone signed.

I was counting on at least another season with Olympiacos, now I'm thinking two.

R. DeMurre
11-21-2020, 08:55 PM
So you dont think he was first round worthy? I need clarification. He is a 17th pick and 99.9% of first rounders aren't "Draft and Stash". WTF? So you agree with me that Presti isn't going to sign him to a rookie contract?(I was kinda just shit talking there).

Totally worth it, and as the youngest player in the draft, not ready yet. Poku is 3 years and 9 months younger than Obi Toppin and 1 year and 4 months younger than Devin Vassell.

R. DeMurre
11-21-2020, 10:22 PM
Didnt answer the question.

You mean about Presti? Don't know, don't care. His goal is tearing down a team to nothing and starting from scratch. Like I've said many times, I think Pokusevski's strength as a player will be as a glue guy and versatile 5x5 threat. He'll make a good team better. I wouldn't pick him to start a team from scratch.

The Truth #6
11-23-2020, 08:54 AM
You mean about Presti? Don't know, don't care. His goal is tearing down a team to nothing and starting from scratch. Like I've said many times, I think Pokusevski's strength as a player will be as a glue guy and versatile 5x5 threat. He'll make a good team better. I wouldn't pick him to start a team from scratch.

I think that makes sense. I have concerns about his questionable motor (read: poor motivation), but he is young and so this make take a few years to clarify, just like with Luka, tbh.

Dejounte
02-19-2021, 04:17 AM
Watching the gleague for Luka made me remember this guy is playing there too

I know he's a couple years away, but he's not doing too well right now.

Averaging 5/4/6 through his first four games on 25 minutes. Shooting 21.6% from the field (big yikes)
He has not attempted a free throw in 21 consecutive games/ 300 minutes of playing time (counting both g league and NBA)

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-19-2021, 04:37 AM
Watching the gleague for Luka made me remember this guy is playing there too

I know he's a couple years away, but he's not doing too well right now.

Averaging 5/4/6 through his first four games on 25 minutes. Shooting 21.6% from the field (big yikes)
He has not attempted a free throw in 21 consecutive games/ 300 minutes of playing time (counting both g league and NBA)

Shows how some dudes just need time to adjust. He's talented and he might develop, just like Luka, but for either of them it's not a given despite of the tools they have. It's a long process.

And for the moaners - Poku was taken even earlier in the draft than Luka by the god master best ever Presti.

Dejounte
02-19-2021, 04:43 AM
Shows how some dudes just need time to adjust. He's talented and he might develop, just like Luka, but for either of them it's not a given despite of the tools they have. It's a long process.

And for the moaners - Poku was taken even earlier in the draft than Luka by the god master best ever Presti.

Yeah. What's concerning is that even Luka's first year g league numbers blow Poku's out of the water.

Seventyniner
02-19-2021, 10:21 AM
I wouldn't pay too much attention to how high Poku was picked. OC has so many picks to burn that it makes sense to use some on very high-risk gambles. I see him as a second-round flier taken in the first.

Dejounte
02-19-2021, 10:34 AM
Another point to add to this: isn't the league he was playing in before he was drafted supposedly better than gleague competition? Or at least that's what I remember people saying pre-draft...

rankingtear
02-19-2021, 10:41 AM
Two years away from the G-League it seems. The last one this far off was Bruno Caboclo.

Leetonidas
02-19-2021, 10:45 AM
:lol can you imagine the anger on ST if the Spurs drafted this dude instead of Vassell

Seventyniner
02-19-2021, 10:52 AM
Two years away from the G-League it seems. The last one this far off was Bruno Caboclo.

Wasn't that the guy that one of the announcers at the draft said was two years away from being two years away? I remember the comment (made me :lol) but I forgot who it was about.

Chinook
02-19-2021, 10:58 AM
Eh, I was one of the least-taken-in folks this side of Drew, but it was insane to expect him to come in and dominate the d-league. First, it's obviously a step up in competition. I don't think anyone thought it wasn't. Second, his skills weren't going to directly and immediately translate. Anyone who knew anything about basketball knew that. He needed to get his offense up to an NBA level before worrying about shit like his defense or strength. That doesn't and shouldn't mean he is going to be in the d-league for years. I expect him to keep getting big-club minutes after this Gubble business is over. It's just a way to get him a lot of minutes in a short period of time.

Chinook
02-19-2021, 10:59 AM
Wasn't that the guy that one of the announcers at the draft said was two years away from being two years away? I remember the comment (made me :lol) but I forgot who it was about.

Yeah, it was about Bruno. Still some time away, it seems. But he's at least still hanging around and flashed some potential.

Dejounte
02-19-2021, 11:00 AM
https://youtu.be/lHG9MyC0ON0

https://youtu.be/YXr1I4n8tRw

https://youtu.be/RNWscN_z8Fo

I could only find footage from his NBA play. Seems like whoever was gathering Poku footage gave up after he went to the gleague.

From these videos, his issues look to be:
1) soft on offense, would rather chuck ill-advised 3s
2) constantly being blown by guards on the perimeter
3) attitude? Yanking rebounds from his own teammates

Dejounte
02-19-2021, 11:08 AM
Eh, I was one of the least-taken-in folks this side of Drew, but it was insane to expect him to come in and dominate the d-league. First, it's obviously a step up in competition. I don't think anyone thought it wasn't. Second, his skills weren't going to directly and immediately translate. Anyone who knew anything about basketball knew that. He needed to get his offense up to an NBA level before worrying about shit like his defense or strength. That doesn't and shouldn't mean he is going to be in the d-league for years. I expect him to keep getting big-club minutes after this Gubble business is over. It's just a way to get him a lot of minutes in a short period of time.

Sure, he's not dominating the d league but that's not why I bumped this thread.

The problem is, he's not even doing "OK". This thread was bumped because he's doing -poorly-. It's a red flag and you know it.

DAF86
02-19-2021, 11:25 AM
https://youtu.be/lHG9MyC0ON0

https://youtu.be/YXr1I4n8tRw

https://youtu.be/RNWscN_z8Fo

I could only find footage from his NBA play. Seems like whoever was gathering Poku footage gave up after he went to the gleague.

From these videos, his issues look to be:
1) soft on offense, would rather chuck ill-advised 3s
2) constantly being blown by guards on the perimeter
3) attitude? Yanking rebounds from his own teammates

I've seen quite q few games from Poku until he went to the G-league. His problems have bee all been on the offensive side of the ball. On defense he has been way better than expected. In fact, he's posting positive metrics on that side of the ball. That's pretty wild for a rookie bambi toothpick from overseas.

His problems on offense seem to be all confidence related. The role he's playing has something to do with it too. Here, for obvious reasons, he's not handling the ball as much as in Europe and when he does, he seems scared to fuck up. He's not even looking to attack, that's why he chucks so many ill advised 3's, which results on his abismal FG%. You couod still see flashes of his potential here and there. I think the G-league will do wonders for him (if the Thunder develop him like the Spurs do). He needs to be given the ball on his hands with all the confidence in the world to fuck up as much as he wants. Once he gets a good game and his confidence level rises he won't look back. According to most he was always a 3 years project anyways so it's not like he or the Thunder are in a hurry to make it work right away.

Chinook
02-19-2021, 11:36 AM
Sure, he's not dominating the d league but that's not why I bumped this thread.

The problem is, he's not even doing "OK". This thread was bumped because he's doing -poorly-. It's a red flag and you know it.

Dude...

It's not a red flag for anyone expecting it to take him years to develop. He's having the same production in the d-league as he is in the big league. So if he's looked fine up there, there's no reason to be worried that he didn't instantly look good (or okay). The Gubble is a weird situation, and he wouldn't be the first player to start his d-league experience off slowly. There's no way that you can simultaneously think he's two years away while also having a short fuse with his development.

Does that mean he's not going to be a bust or at least not the great player some folks assumed he be? Obviously not. He could well continue to look bad or give up and wash out or whatever. I'm not even defending the dude. I didn't push for PATFO to draft him or anything like that. But four games into the g-league in the most unstable season in NBA history isn't exactly a clear sample to judge a player's future.

Dejounte
02-19-2021, 12:06 PM
Dude...

It's not a red flag for anyone expecting it to take him years to develop. He's having the same production in the d-league as he is in the big league. So if he's looked fine up there, there's no reason to be worried that he didn't instantly look good (or okay). The Gubble is a weird situation, and he wouldn't be the first player to start his d-league experience off slowly. There's no way that you can simultaneously think he's two years away while also having a short fuse with his development.

Does that mean he's not going to be a bust or at least not the great player some folks assumed he be? Obviously not. He could well continue to look bad or give up and wash out or whatever. I'm not even defending the dude. I didn't push for PATFO to draft him or anything like that. But four games into the g-league in the most unstable season in NBA history isn't exactly a clear sample to judge a player's future.

It says a lot when you suddenly change your tune on developmental players when you wouldn't budge for Luka. Weird double standard, but okay. Also absurd to have no higher expectations for a player to raise his level of play against lesser competition.

No free throws in 300 minutes = unheard of

Developmental or not, playing poor in the g league and then panning out is rare. Name one decent prospect who followed a similar path.

I'm not burning the bridge to Poku ever being good. But to blatantly ignore poor play is preposterous to me.

DAF86
02-19-2021, 12:08 PM
Best case scenario: the thunder give up on him, the Spurs pick him up and develop him properly.

DAF86
02-19-2021, 12:10 PM
It says a lot when you suddenly change your tune on developmental players when you wouldn't budge for Luka. Weird double standard, but okay. Also absurd to have no higher expectations for a player to raise his level of play against lesser competition.

No free throws in 300 minutes = unheard of

Developmental or not, playing poor in the g league and then panning out is rare. Name one decent prospect who followed a similar path.

I'm not burning the bridge to Poku ever being good. But to blatantly ignore poor play is preposterous to me.

I might be talking out of my ass but I think I recall Dejounte not doing too hot in the G-league either to start off.

Chinook
02-19-2021, 12:44 PM

I "wouldn't budge"? I was hoping he'd be a starter before pre-season. My "anti-Samanic" takes aren't about whether he can be a good player. They're about a) Whether him eventually being a better player than Thybulle or Clark would necessarily mean he was a better pick than those would be and b) Whether it matters that his skill-set could've made him a top-five pick the next draft or whatever. I was NOT one of those people who jumped on him every chance I got. I famously wanted Clark. That didn't happen, so I want Samanic to succeed. I expected him to be a rotational player in his second year and am disappointed he's not. I think PATFO is or should also be disappointed. His skill-set would've made him a valuable member of the starting lineup. But they'll have to try again next year, and they shouldn't be afraid to draft a PF or sign a young one in free agency. Samanic shouldn't prevent the team from trying to fix that position.

Not really. It's not rare to have four poor games in a row. It's just not. It's self-evidently not. Stats for individual d-league games are disturbingly hard to find for prior years, so it's hard to see a breakdown of how players improved over their time there. But it definitely takes players games to get into the final form when they're clearly too good, and not all of them graduate beyond the d-league in one season. The dude is taking nine shots a game, which is insanely low for a featured prospect. That could mean that he's NOT the main focus of OKC's d-league team. (In fact, he's only sixth in FGA per game and eighth in FGA per minute on that squad.) It's hard to compare that to guys like Samanic, Walker and Murray, who were at least top-2 options on their squads. Maybe that IS an indictment on Poke's ability; maybe OKC is actually poor at running their d-league team as a developmental organization. Right now, Poke is really just sort of being there. I don't take anything from the Gubble games yet.

Chinook
02-19-2021, 12:45 PM
I might be talking out of my ass but I think I recall Dejounte not doing too hot in the G-league either to start off.

Eh, as I mentioned above, the d-league stats are crazy hard to get when trying to find individual games from the past. But from what I could see, most guys are able to score in the teens on meh efficiency pretty quickly. They just don't get to the point where they're threatening triple-doubles on the regular until later on.

BackHome
02-19-2021, 03:46 PM
It’s hard for college guys to transition to G League it’s even harder I would think for a foreign player to come over and play in G League. I am not sure if he is even fluent in English but as most said this guy is a Long Term Project not expecting anything good until year 3 to be honest.

exstatic
02-19-2021, 05:12 PM
I "wouldn't budge"? I was hoping he'd be a starter before pre-season. My "anti-Samanic" takes aren't about whether he can be a good player. They're about a) Whether him eventually being a better player than Thybulle or Clark would necessarily mean he was a better pick than those would be and b) Whether it matters that his skill-set could've made him a top-five pick the next draft or whatever. I was NOT one of those people who jumped on him every chance I got. I famously wanted Clark. That didn't happen, so I want Samanic to succeed. I expected him to be a rotational player in his second year and am disappointed he's not. I think PATFO is or should also be disappointed. His skill-set would've made him a valuable member of the starting lineup. But they'll have to try again next year, and they shouldn't be afraid to draft a PF or sign a young one in free agency. Samanic shouldn't prevent the team from trying to fix that position.

Not really. It's not rare to have four poor games in a row. It's just not. It's self-evidently not. Stats for individual d-league games are disturbingly hard to find for prior years, so it's hard to see a breakdown of how players improved over their time there. But it definitely takes players games to get into the final form when they're clearly too good, and not all of them graduate beyond the d-league in one season. The dude is taking nine shots a game, which is insanely low for a featured prospect. That could mean that he's NOT the main focus of OKC's d-league team. (In fact, he's only sixth in FGA per game and eighth in FGA per minute on that squad.) It's hard to compare that to guys like Samanic, Walker and Murray, who were at least top-2 options on their squads. Maybe that IS an indictment on Poke's ability; maybe OKC is actually poor at running their d-league team as a developmental organization. Right now, Poke is really just sort of being there. I don't take anything from the Gubble games yet.

Are you even paying attention to Thybulle? His numbers are almost as bad as Poku’s.

R. DeMurre
02-20-2021, 04:11 AM
Everyone who liked Poku agreed he was at least two or three years away. I repeatedly said three.

Remember the guy many said was the most NBA ready player in the draft, the guy who would start and contribute immediately and be the odds-on favorite to win Rookie of the Year, Obi Toppin? He's currently averaging 4.9 ppg & 2.4 rpg for the Knicks.

Mr. Body
02-20-2021, 05:15 AM
He doesn't seem to be a good fit for this Spurs team. He may have more potential than glass cannon Bertans, but they are similar in providing the meat and gristle they'd need in bigger players.

Dejounte
02-20-2021, 08:28 AM
Everyone who liked Poku agreed he was at least two or three years away. I repeatedly said three.

Remember the guy many said was the most NBA ready player in the draft, the guy who would start and contribute immediately and be the odds-on favorite to win Rookie of the Year, Obi Toppin? He's currently averaging 4.9 ppg & 2.4 rpg for the Knicks.

For the 99999th time, no one is saying he isn't a few years away. Obi isn't shooting 20%, he has shot a free throw, and he's not doing that in the g league. This thread doesn't get bumped if Poku was averaging 1 ppg, 1 rpg, 1 apg on NBA minutes.

Poku had yet another horrid outing yesterday in the g league for the 5th consecutive time.

cjw
02-20-2021, 09:25 AM
The Thunder took a flier on him at 17, and if he pans out, it’s going to take a while. They can afford to wait and take risks because they have so many damn picks.

At least they didn’t take a combination of Dion Waiters & James Flight White with the first pick. Though the Wolves are on pace for another top pick ... oh wait, that’s going to the Warriors.

Dejounte
02-20-2021, 09:29 AM
The Thunder took a flier on him at 17, and if he pans out, it’s going to take a while. They can afford to wait and take risks because they have so many damn picks.

At least they didn’t take a combination of Dion Waiters & James Flight White with the first pick. Though the Wolves are on pace for another top pick ... oh wait, that’s going to the Warriors.

For the 100,000th time.... Ahh forget it. No one likes to read.

It only goes to the Warriors if it isn't top 3. They must be praying they win the lottery.

Dejounte
02-20-2021, 10:53 AM

I finally have access to a computer.

Five games now. How far back do you need to go? G League stats go all the way back to 2007-2008. If you can't find a player since then, you're not going to find one at all. Whether he's the main focus or not, the dude isn't coming off the bench, he's a starter. He SHOULD be finding ways to contribute, but the reality is, he's not. He's being benched in g-league the same reason Kylor Kelley gets benched-- he is mismatched on defense and perimeter players take him to school. Again, it was popularly known that he was playing in the "big leagues" or professional league overseas, he should be looking like a NBA player in the *g-league* at the minimum.

To everyone else:

I :clapam:clapnot:clapsaying:clapit:clapwon't:clapta ke:clapa:clapfew:clapyears:clapfor:clapPoku:clapto :clapbecome:clapa:clapdecent:clapNBA:clapplayer.

Merely addressing the fact that he is playing poor against g-league competition. Unheard of for successful NBA players, even for developmental players like Poku.

Chinook
02-20-2021, 12:51 PM

Happy to hear it.

Five games now. How far back do you need to go? G League stats go all the way back to 2007-2008. If you can't find a player since then, you're not going to find one at all. Whether he's the main focus or not, the dude isn't coming off the bench, he's a starter. He SHOULD be finding ways to contribute, but the reality is, he's not. He's being benched in g-league the same reason Kylor Kelley gets benched-- he is mismatched on defense and perimeter players take him to school. Again, it was popularly known that he was playing in the "big leagues" or professional league overseas, he should be looking like a NBA player in the *g-league* at the minimum.

I'd say he looks like a decent NBA prospect in real NBA games. Sure, I do agree as more games pile up, fewer excuses will make sense. But I also don't think you're using the right methods for judging him. Poke is underdeveloped physically. D-league players are not. There are a huge number of players down there with legit NBA bodies and athleticism. It's not like college, where a lot of players are still growing. It's not NBA competition in terms of skills and intelligence, and there is a higher athletic average and ceiling in the big league. But I doubt OKC expected Poke to obviously outshine guys immediately in terms of production. The Thunder's Gubble team has a number of mature borderline NBA players on it as it is, and for some reason they are the ones eating at the top of the pecking order. It's a big deal when trying to evaluate his stats in comparison to guys on say, the Toros, who were featured players from jumpstreet.

And again, it's not clear that the stats are as weird as you say. Any historic d-league stats that I've found are for whole seasons. Right now, the sample of Poke has isn't nearly big enough to fairly compare with guys who got to have a whole season of development there to bring up their averages.

R. DeMurre
02-20-2021, 03:24 PM
For the 99999th time, no one is saying he isn't a few years away. Obi isn't shooting 20%, he has shot a free throw, and he's not doing that in the g league. This thread doesn't get bumped if Poku was averaging 1 ppg, 1 rpg, 1 apg on NBA minutes.

Poku had yet another horrid outing yesterday in the g league for the 5th consecutive time.

:lol So your argument isn't that he isn't three years away, but that his stats right now are poor? Oh, ok.

Dejounte
02-20-2021, 03:25 PM
:lol So your argument isn't that he isn't three years away, but that his stats right now are poor? Oh, ok.

IN THE G-LEAGUE.

"Merely addressing the fact that he is playing poor against g-league competition. Unheard of for successful NBA players, even for developmental players like Poku."

If I'm wrong, name one.

R. DeMurre
02-20-2021, 03:35 PM
IN THE G-LEAGUE.

"Merely addressing the fact that he is playing poor against g-league competition. Unheard of for successful NBA players, even for developmental players like Poku."

If I'm wrong, name one.

Irrelevant if he's three years away. Shooting was never his strength, even when he was dominating the advanced stats at age 17 around other 17 year olds in Europe.

A few years ago, lots of people said there was no way the Spurs would sign Aldridge because the Spurs never land big free agents. George Hill's first few summer league games made people worry he couldn't shoot at all on the big stage, and a decade later he lead the NBA in 3 pt%. Sorry, I just don't think 5 games in a weird bubble during a pandemic from a guy who just turned 20 after moving to a new country means much. 5 games is an incredibly tiny sample size.

BackHome
02-20-2021, 03:43 PM
Have to agree he is a long term pick based on his potential even more so then Luka - Give him two years to figure out how American Basketball is played vs Europe and let him better learn English and just get comfortable and I think he will be a good player if he can stay healthy

DAF86
02-20-2021, 05:35 PM

To everyone else:

I :clapam:clapnot:clapsaying:clapit:clapwon't:clapta ke:clapa:clapfew:clapyears:clapfor:clapPoku:clapto :clapbecome:clapa:clapdecent:clapNBA:clapplayer.

Merely addressing the fact that he is playing poor against g-league competition. Unheard of for successful NBA players, even for developmental players like Poku.

That's just not true.

Dejounte
02-20-2021, 05:36 PM
That's just not true.

Bruh, who?

DAF86
02-20-2021, 05:49 PM
Bruh, who?

Starting g-league playing bad and then went on to make it on the NBA? I recall many guys. Like I said, I remember Dejounte, Lonnie started off poorly too if I recall correctly and I'm sure there are many more guys. It's difficuot to be definitive because it's hard to find game logs from the g-league.

Dejounte
02-20-2021, 05:53 PM
Starting g-league playing bad and then went on to make it on the NBA? I recall many guys. Like I said, I remember Dejounte, Lonnie started off poorly too if I recall correctly and I'm sure there are many more guys. It's difficuot to be definitive because it's hard to find game logs from the g-league.

No, they didn't.

https://stats.gleague.nba.com/player/1627749/boxscores/?Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=PerGame

https://stats.gleague.nba.com/player/1629022/boxscores/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=PerGame

Dejounte
02-20-2021, 05:53 PM

No, they didn't.

https://stats.gleague.nba.com/player/1627749/boxscores/?Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=PerGame

https://stats.gleague.nba.com/player/1629022/boxscores/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=PerGame

Here's the way to find game logs, Chinook

cjw
02-20-2021, 06:34 PM
For the 100,000th time.... Ahh forget it. No one likes to read.

It only goes to the Warriors if it isn't top 3. They must be praying they win the lottery.

Yeah, sorry didn’t clarify that. But with way draft lottery odds got flattened, there’s a 60% chance the worst team doesn’t even get into the top three.

Agree, they’ll be on pins and needles draft lottery night. Either a 40% shot at a top 3 pick, or no pick at all.

Chinook
02-21-2021, 12:40 AM
No, they didn't.

Here's the way to find game logs, Chinook (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557)

Thanks. It's crazy how hard it was for me to see anything. The closest I got was looking a monthly splits on RGM. Those worked okay for this question (since the first month of the season is often just like five or six games), but this is obviously way better.

R. DeMurre
02-27-2021, 12:19 PM
In his latest G League game, Poku's shooting woes continued, but he showed off the ability to affect winning by stuffing the stat sheet across the board, with 19 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals, and 4 blocked shots. And he's still younger than the majority of draftable players coming up this year.

https://gleague.nba.com/games/20210226/OKLAUS/

r0drig0lac
02-27-2021, 12:56 PM
what happened to this thread on the last two pages? wtf

TheGreatYacht
02-27-2021, 06:28 PM
Bro have you ever had a good player evaluation?

exstatic
02-27-2021, 07:11 PM
Bro have you ever had a good player evaluation?

Bro, have you ever learned reading comprehension? High ceiling low floor means he could be Kristaps, or he could be Austin Daye. Oh, and I’ll just leave this here, since you obviously didn’t read it...

In his latest G League game, Poku's shooting woes continued, but he showed off the ability to affect winning by stuffing the stat sheet across the board, with 19 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals, and 4 blocked shots. And he's still younger than the majority of draftable players coming up this year.

https://gleague.nba.com/games/20210226/OKLAUS/

BackHome
02-27-2021, 08:11 PM
KY is not playing for us man go to your Clipper forum.

Mr. Body
03-13-2021, 03:37 PM
Watching OKC vs. Knicks right now. He's a fluid horizontal athlete for his size and given his length probably can play perimeter slots. Holy hell is he a terrible shooter, though. I don't know why they keep letting him shoot.

r0drig0lac
03-14-2021, 03:33 PM
10/23/4 and a W against a tough and competitive Memphis team, this is the moment when people understand that statistics in the gleague are irrelevant and what matters is the development and identifying what can be taken to the real games? probably not, but whatever.

Mr. Body
03-14-2021, 03:49 PM
10/23/4 and a W against a tough and competitive Memphis team, this is the moment when people understand that statistics in the gleague are irrelevant and what matters is the development and identifying what can be taken to the real games? probably not, but whatever.

I dunno. He shoots so much, like a ridiculous amount, at such a horrific percentage, he was bound to have a good game here or there. I think he's definitely an NBA player, but this isn't a surprise to have one good shooting game. Overall he's at 25% from two and 17% from three for the season and doesn't seem to have any discipline on what kinds of shots he throws up.

r0drig0lac
03-14-2021, 03:52 PM
I dunno. He shoots so much, like a ridiculous amount, at such a horrific percentage, he was bound to have a good game here or there. I think he's definitely an NBA player, but this isn't a surprise to have one good shooting game. Overall he's at 25% from two and 17% from three for the season and doesn't seem to have any discipline on what kinds of shots he throws up.

he is very young and has been competing against the "elite" of basketball since day 1, his tools are insane with the right development, he will need to "work hard" to fail in the NBA.

Dejounte
03-14-2021, 03:53 PM

None of which I ever disagreed with but continue on and indirectly try to pile on me. You always miss the context of my posts, anyway. Put me on ignore, it would do us both good.

Mr. Body
03-14-2021, 03:57 PM
he is very young and has been competing against the "elite" of basketball since day 1, his tools are insane with the right development, he will need to "work hard" to fail in the NBA.

I don't think those are good excuses. Young players can be good shooters. He's just a really atrocious one at the moment. I don't know what the OKC staff is thinking letting him launch from everywhere and clattering them against the rim and backboard. Have you seen him play? Just awful.

r0drig0lac
03-14-2021, 03:58 PM
None of which I ever disagreed with but continue on and indirectly try to pile on me. You always miss the context of my posts, anyway. Put me on ignore, it would do us both good.
sorry bro, I didn't really read who wrote something (although I read some posts, I don't really care who writes them), I just hope you don't take it personally, if you look carefully, you'll notice that I liked it several of your posts, it's just disagreement with ideas, nothing more.

r0drig0lac
03-14-2021, 04:06 PM
I don't think those are good excuses. Young players can be good shooters. He's just a really atrocious one at the moment. I don't know what the OKC staff is thinking letting him launch from everywhere and clattering them against the rim and backboard. Have you seen him play? Just awful.it wasn't the intention, it was a cold pre-analysis, not everyone is Rubio, or Doncic, if an analysis is correct or wrong only the future will say, Samanic looked like a guy with little effort and even lack of interest on the court until a few months ago and now he really looks like an above average defender, even with limited nba experience, Poku will improve all aspects of his game, the anomaly would be if he didn't.

DAF86
03-14-2021, 04:14 PM
I don't think those are good excuses. Young players can be good shooters. He's just a really atrocious one at the moment. I don't know what the OKC staff is thinking letting him launch from everywhere and clattering them against the rim and backboard. Have you seen him play? Just awful.

I don't think it's a matter of him being an atrocious shooter, it's just more about your second idea: he's taking awful shots. A lot of off the bounce 3's. Once his shot selection improves, his % will go up.