09-06-2020, 02:52 PM
https://i.imgur.com/hKPkHnD.jpg

Kira Lewis Jr.

College: Alabama
Position: PG
Height: 6-foot-3
Weight: 165 pounds
Draft Range: 10 to 25

Why: He's a very fast point guard who never gets tired. Quality shooter (36.6% on threes, 80.2% at the line). Strong ball-handler, deadly in the open court and can make plays for teammates. Even though he's skinny, his length allows him to be a plus on defense. This Avery Johnson recruit is young for his class so if you judge him solely on his age, his production really stands out.

Why Not: Decision-making and court vision are both sub par for a point guard. Needs to learn how to run a pick-and-roll. Finishing at the rim needs work for him to truly take advantage of his speed. Would need to add bulk if he has hopes of being a versatile defender.

Spurs Fit: He's raw enough that time in the G League would help him learn the ins and outs of being a point guard. By the second half of his rookie season, he'd probably be ready for NBA minutes.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Supercharged Speedy Claxton

Spurs Comparison - Floor: Weaker Antonio Daniels

Statistics (https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4395698/kira-lewis-jr)
Interview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8F9mhwwqOo)
Highlights (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRz2CxNc9nA)

BackHome
09-06-2020, 05:13 PM
I like the kid he is moving up fast in the draft I don't think he will make it past 16.

Chinook
09-06-2020, 05:49 PM
He seems to have NBA-caliber penetration skills. That's something the team could really use going forward. He's not close to my first choice at 11, but if somehow the Spurs end up with Lewis after making some deals, I won't be mad.

Play Boban
09-06-2020, 06:36 PM
I thought this was a girl tbh

ZeusWillJudge
09-06-2020, 07:33 PM
I watched Bama play 3-4 times last season, and he was a turnover factory. But he's got some serious jets, for sure.

I'm really interested in the Spurs snagging a PG, so I'm always watching for one. The biggest thing, to me, was that he didn't seem to have a lot of court awareness, angles, etc. He basically had two speeds - go and stop. He would drive until someone cut him off, and THEN go looking for a place to pass. That quick first step is a lot more valuable to a guy who understands how to change pace and create angles. I don't remember his D at all, which probably means something.

Still, you can't teach quick, and he's still young. As long as everyone (PATFO) understands that he's a year out from the NBA, at the very least? He's another gamble play, but at least it's a gamble on a PG... I guess. I hate to even say these words, but he's got speed like Parker and he can actually shoot. I'd just hate to see the Spurs draft another PG who is really a 2 in disguise.

mo7888
09-06-2020, 07:54 PM
I watched Bama play 3-4 times last season, and he was a turnover factory. But he's got some serious jets, for sure.

I'm really interested in the Spurs snagging a PG, so I'm always watching for one. The biggest thing, to me, was that he didn't seem to have a lot of court awareness, angles, etc. He basically had two speeds - go and stop. He would drive until someone cut him off, and THEN go looking for a place to pass. That quick first step is a lot more valuable to a guy who understands how to change pace and create angles. I don't remember his D at all, which probably means something.

Still, you can't teach quick, and he's still young. As long as everyone (PATFO) understands that he's a year out from the NBA, at the very least? He's another gamble play, but at least it's a gamble on a PG... I guess. I hate to even say these words, but he's got speed like Parker and he can actually shoot. I'd just hate to see the Spurs draft another PG who is really a 2 in disguise.

The Parker comparison (when he was raw) is what i see too. I like him better than Anthony who seems to be in the same range. He's probably 3rd on my list for PG's but, he might have the highest ceiling because of that speed and quickness.

Play Boban
09-06-2020, 07:59 PM
Tony Parker was a fraud. If Speedy Claxton were our pg, we also win titles in 2004, 2006, and 2008 imho.

KobesAchilles
09-07-2020, 02:29 PM
Tony Parker was a fraud. If Speedy Claxton were our pg, we also win titles in 2004, 2006, and 2008 imho.
If Robert Horry could hit an open shot, instead of the side of the backboard, then we would’ve rang those years. Or Turk back in 04.

BackHome
09-07-2020, 02:48 PM

Yeah I don't either unless they trade Murray for a draft pick and if he were able to fall to us with our second first I would pick him. Put him with the second unit and just let them run the team out of the gyms.

JuneJive
09-07-2020, 03:17 PM
I wish him well, but not on the Spurs.

He does have that "backup PG" label on him which I think he won't shake off.

Play Boban
09-08-2020, 12:20 AM
If Robert Horry could hit an open shot, instead of the side of the backboard, then we would’ve rang those years. Or Turk back in 04.
Yeah but Horry hit one shot in g5 against Detroit so he’s a legend even tho he was trash otherwise :cry

look_at_g_shred
09-08-2020, 08:32 AM
Could be as good as Fox. He's already a better Pg than Murray. I like him alot tbh. Would not be mad at all if we end up with Kira.

MR-Clutch
09-10-2020, 11:02 PM
I like this kid a lot, I second the deaaron fox comparison.

Russ
09-11-2020, 10:16 AM
Just another one of many.

Another one of many who could be the most (or at least one of the most) impactful guy[s] in this draft.

It's crazy folks.

Kira Lewis looks pretty good to me. De'Aaron Fox? Maybe. I could see it. Kinda.

Do you dare spend #11 on this guy? Or try to trade down and get 2 or 3 of these guys who might hit it big?

Or trade up and get someone who might really move the needle like Okongwu or Hayes or Avdija . . .

Settle in folks, it's two more months of this (at least).

BackHome
09-12-2020, 02:07 PM
Check out a recent YouTube video “4 Sleepers in 2020” by Sub Me In Coach I think anyone looking at Kira will enjoy it.

R. DeMurre
09-12-2020, 02:42 PM
His TO rate is pretty high despite a relatively low USG%... not good news for a supposed PG, and his TO per 100 possessions went up in his sophomore season. Even in a best case scenario, I don't see him moving the needle enough to justify a pick at #11.

Dejounte
09-16-2020, 07:42 PM
Alright, basically from what I see from watching this guy a little bit is this:

Good vision, good feel for the game, quick, would provide a serious change of pace to the Spurs, when you watch him on the court you can just tell the difference when he's on it

Prelim player comparison: faster Ja Morant without the hops

rankingtear
09-16-2020, 09:14 PM
Alright, basically from what I see from watching this guy a little bit is this:

Good vision, good feel for the game, quick, would provide a serious change of pace to the Spurs, when you watch him on the court you can just tell the difference when he's on it

Prelim player comparison: faster Ja Morant without the hops

The explosiveness is what seperates the Fox, Wall, from the Schroder , Ish Smith.

rankingtear
09-24-2020, 07:04 AM
Starting to like Kira more, one of the more likely offensive engines in this class. Speed kills but his shooting is also impressive. Can play off ball next to Dejounte or Derrick due to shooting ability and playmaking is no longer an issue when played with other playmaking guards. Good shooter off the bounce, has a good step back jumper and potential to shoot it off screens. That speed paired with a quick trigger is reminiscent of patty mills. Second youngest player in the draft, so there a lot of runway to fill out that frame and be better in decision making. Played 2 college seasons already on a ton of minutes so more NBA ready than most 19 year old. Not many speed demons have as good of a jump shot profile as Kira, maybe that can mitigate his lack of explosiveness and decision making.

PhantomDashCam
09-30-2020, 07:50 PM
Since the college season ended, Kira Lewis Jr. has added about 15 pounds to his frame. That added weight, coupled with his 6-foot-7 wing span, should entice teams who need a point guard in the draft.
https://sports.yahoo.com/kira-lewis-jr-trainer-believes-213954286.html (https://sports.yahoo.com/kira-lewis-jr-trainer-believes-213954286.html)

Hope he participates in measurements at combine. If I was a combo. guard such as Maxey or Cole and I don’t have a 1st round promise, I would be getting nervous about slipping to late first, early second when all said and done.

Chinook
09-30-2020, 10:54 PM
6-7 isn't really impressive. Like it's better than being 6-3, but he'd still be a clear PG defensively. The added weight will be good if he hasn't lost speed though. His ceiling is based on his ability to finish inside, and he'll be better at that if he's heavier. He remains an intriguing player for me in the draft, but I'd prefer him with a bit later pick and after getting a forward with a higher pick. He'd have a place on the roster right away, but he'd definitely require a trade to free up minutes.

PhantomDashCam
10-01-2020, 12:27 AM
6-7 isn't really impressive. Like it's better than being 6-3, but he'd still be a clear PG defensively. The added weight will be good if he hasn't lost speed though. His ceiling is based on his ability to finish inside, and he'll be better at that if he's heavier. He remains an intriguing player for me in the draft, but I'd prefer him with a bit later pick and after getting a forward with a higher pick. He'd have a place on the roster right away, but he'd definitely require a trade to free up minutes.

Disagree about just being a 1 defensively. He probably can guard 2s as well and some 3s depending on context and the defensive schemes Spurs are running. Apart from Houston and Clippers, which of the other Western Conf. teams need specific attention at SG? I understand the need for a big but Spurs should take BPA on their board. He may be the top PG from this draft in a couple of years and still just be 21.

kobyz
10-02-2020, 09:32 AM
Anyone see shades of Tony Parker in him?

BackHome
10-02-2020, 10:04 AM

Yeah would love to make a trade where we could pick him up and still use our 11th pick on Smith or Williams. I would throw in Murray and our second to get him or LMA or DEROZZ.... make it happen RC.

PhantomDashCam
10-09-2020, 05:14 AM
https://youtu.be/KCWfd3dmxLQ

Great breakdown of Kira’s game and as a prospect moving forward.
If have a spare 10 mins, well worth a watch.

Dejounte
10-09-2020, 09:12 AM
https://youtu.be/KCWfd3dmxLQ

Great breakdown of Kira’s game and as a prospect moving forward.
If have a spare 10 mins, well worth a watch.

His first step is so explosive. What's also important is he appears he can decelerate. I think he'll be good.

look_at_g_shred
10-09-2020, 11:59 AM
Absolutely love this kid! Can see New York or PHX nabbing him when they miss out on Melo/Halliburton

BackHome
10-09-2020, 07:10 PM
Yeah I also think the Suns take him he is to talented very high upside

PhantomDashCam
10-09-2020, 08:16 PM
Absolutely love this kid! Can see New York or PHX nabbing him when they miss out on Melo/Halliburton

Yeah think he’s definitely in play from 7 - 10 but could see him drop to 11 under certain circumstances.
Say:
7. Killian Hayes
8. Tyrell Terry. May seem high but they were obsessed with Steph coming out of college and may think he has that potential. Phoenix may have similar thoughts too.
9. Isaac Okoro
10. Tyrese Haliburton

ZeusWillJudge
10-09-2020, 10:08 PM
Well apparently Avery Johnson still speaks highly of him.

He re-classified so he could get out of high school at 17, and he went to college instead of running off to play for Illawara or something. Then Avery Johnson got fired from Bama and he didn't transfer - he stayed around for another year.

He replaced Collin Sexton, and his teammates all said he was just as fast as Sexton. I still question whether he's really a PG, but he's got some things going for him, for sure. I still don't see him being the guy for the Spurs, and I still don't think he'll go higher than about 17-18.

Phenomanul
10-14-2020, 12:09 PM
Well apparently Avery Johnson still speaks highly of him.

He re-classified so he could get out of high school at 17, and he went to college instead of running off to play for Illawara or something. Then Avery Johnson got fired from Bama and he didn't transfer - he stayed around for another year.

He replaced Collin Sexton, and his teammates all said he was just as fast as Sexton. I still question whether he's really a PG, but he's got some things going for him, for sure. I still don't see him being the guy for the Spurs, and I still don't think he'll go higher than about 17-18.

Nabbing him or Haliburton at 11 is a steal tbh...

The Truth #6
10-14-2020, 01:16 PM
I really hope the Spurs pursue a backup plan of trading down if someone they want doesn't fall to 11, because I'd rather have two players in the middle to late teens than have to reach for someone at 11.

I wouldn't want Kira at 11, but he seems like a good prospect to have on the team. He has shooting and speed, but doesn't seem like starter material. His low weight is going to be a problem for him. For 6'3" guards who aren't great passers, I'm still leaning more towards Tyrese Maxey because of his intangibles.

Phenomanul
10-14-2020, 02:05 PM
I really hope the Spurs pursue a backup plan of trading down if someone they want doesn't fall to 11, because I'd rather have two players in the middle to late teens than have to reach for someone at 11.

I wouldn't want Kira at 11, but he seems like a good prospect to have on the team. He has shooting and speed, but doesn't seem like starter material. His low weight is going to be a problem for him. For 6'3" guards who aren't great passers, I'm still leaning more towards Tyrese Maxey because of his intangibles.

Maxey is older and more seasoned. Lewis seems to be growing into his body still, and yet he is doing many things that other players his age did not accomplish. Honestly, I prefer Haliburton, but his stock shot up over the past several months that I don't think that he will slide below pick No. 8.

The Truth #6
10-14-2020, 05:33 PM
Maxey is older and more seasoned. Lewis seems to be growing into his body still, and yet he is doing many things that other players his age did not accomplish. Honestly, I prefer Haliburton, but his stock shot up over the past several months that I don't think that he will slide below pick No. 8.

Exactly. I want a Tyrese on the team next year. I prefer Halliburton but Maxey is definitely growing on me. Normally his height, or lack thereof, would be a problem, but the league is getting smaller via small ball lineups, and Maxey looks like a winner. Halliburton as well. There will never be another Ginobili, but I’m tired of too many anti-Ginobilis on the team, so to speak.

As for Kira, I’m still getting to know his game. I think his weight, not his height, is still a challenge, but at least he isn’t as petite as Terry from Stanford.

Dejounte
10-29-2020, 12:44 PM
https://twitter.com/NBADraftWass/status/1321869822720942081?s=19

Some meh numbers for Kira

Chinook
10-29-2020, 12:57 PM
It's fine for a PG, but only for a PG.

Dejounte
10-29-2020, 01:04 PM
It's fine for a PG, but only for a PG.

If fans are critical about a player who can only play one position, such as Center ... Why not be critical over a player who only plays PG?

Chinook
10-29-2020, 02:42 PM
If fans are critical about a player who can only play one position, such as Center ... Why not be critical over a player who only plays PG?

You can play PGs at the same time. Sometimes you can't even play one center at the same time.

ZeusWillJudge
10-29-2020, 05:42 PM
You can play PGs at the same time. Sometimes you can't even play one center at the same time.

And sometimes you can play with no PG's at all. For years.

Chinook
10-29-2020, 06:52 PM
And sometimes you can play with no PG's at all. For years.

Theoretically. But that's neither here nor there. We aren't talking about idealize roles or whatever. We're talking about heights and how that affects playability.

PhantomDashCam
10-29-2020, 08:10 PM
https://twitter.com/BabcockHoops/status/1321907450614751232?s=20

Right off the bat, Lewis showed off his dazzling speed. It didn’t matter if he was in an isolation or in the pick-and-roll; he was easily getting around his man for easy lay-ins. He always got downhill quickly, staying on par with his success at Alabama. One of the most noticeable things during the runs, however, was how Lewis absorbed contact in the lane.

PhantomDashCam
11-14-2020, 07:38 AM
Probably the last we hear about Kira before the draft. Still love to draft this kid but seems unlikely now.

"His speed and quickness are so elite. Those are things in the NBA, with the additional pace and space, that are really gonna shine," says one team executive. "When you redraft in five years, he could easily go in the top five."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2917665-how-nba-draft-prospect-kira-lewis-jrs-developed-the-elite-speed-scouts-love