PDA

View Full Version : CHALLENGE DONALD STERLING.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2003, 10:36 PM
This is a risky gamble but the reward would be substantial.

Sign Brand AND Maggette to offer sheets using the estimated $16.3 mil in Spurs cap room.

Some here say that Sterling would match simply because he 'needs to make the minimum payroll'...but does he take on $120 mil in guaranteed salaries just to do that?

Even if he matched deals with the idea of dealing the players later that's still a substantial liability for Mr. Sterling to take on. He's gonna need coverage in case one of those players should suffer a career ending injury and that couldn't be too inexpensive.

Challenge him and watch him fold quicker than Dizz sucking down a COLD BEER. IMO. :hat

Walton Buys Off Me
07-13-2003, 12:16 AM
Spurs brass doesn't have the cojones

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 11:20 AM
Now you want to challenge Sterling?

Offer Brand and Odom contracts.

Miller and Maggette are gonezo.

Sadly, Sterling will re-up Brand and Odom in all likelihood.

Olowokandi it is folks.

You're Welcome™

:cooldevil

kohai
07-14-2003, 11:23 AM
Sadly, Sterling will re-up Brand and Odom in all likelihood.

Not both, and it looks like Brand, since that's who he made the offer to, even if it was short of the 7 years he could have offered. Odom could be had, I would guess.

scott
07-14-2003, 11:29 AM
I don't think we could make a credible offer to Odom while going after Brand. $6.3 million might be too easy for Sterling to match, in which case we'd lose out on both and dooming Elton and Lamar to shitsville for years to come.

If those are our two targets, we might have to go after them one at a time.

MannyIsGod
07-14-2003, 11:33 AM
This is of course assuming either one wants to sign an offer sheet, something I am not taking for granted this offseason.

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 11:34 AM
Brand will be re-upped for the max by Sterling. He loves Odom, so with Maggette and Miller leaving, there's no reaosn why he wouldn't match a deal for Odom, too.

Next.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 11:38 AM
Perhaps if the Spurs feel that Odom can be that second star for TD they make him a rather large offer? If the Spurs show some belief in Odom's abilities that might lure him to SA. Going after established franchise players is never easy. The last one to leave his team during his prime was Grant Hill in 2000 and before that was Shaq in 1996, IIRC. The other potential ways to acquire superstar talent is through the draft and through signing a young potential star out of free agency. Of course, it's not my money but I do wonder if the Spurs think that Brand is hopelessly bottled up in LA that they don't start to think about making Odom a serious offer.

kohai
07-14-2003, 11:46 AM
...there's no reaosn why he wouldn't match a deal for Odom, too.

Other than the fact that matching Maggs is cheaper? If the Spurs were to come in with a strong offer, I think Odom would be let go, and Maggette would be matched, screwing over Utah in the process (sweet). I think the whole thing of Sterling loving this guy or Sterling loving that guy is WAY overblown, and a bit of a smokescreen/poker bluff to scare off bidders.

Scared money don't get none.

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 11:47 AM
I thought all we needed was cap space and the free agents would be flocking to us?

Question.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 11:48 AM
Yeah, giving Odom a serious offer could work. He has the most upside and him and TD would be one sick duo once they got used to each other on the court.

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 11:51 AM
Maggette and Miller are gone.

We'd have to seriously overpay for Sterling not to match on Odom.

In the meantime, you better be sure you've got Nesterovic or Olowokandi.

Think.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 12:09 PM
Well, duh. The Spurs have the room to sign Nesterovic and make a serious offer to Odom.

kohai
07-14-2003, 12:19 PM
Rasho's offer would probably start at $6M, co-incidentally leaving $10M, enough for one < 7 year MAX FA. Odom and Brand both fit that category.

Good times

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 12:23 PM
Nesterovic is asking for more than that, kiddos. Try again.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 12:32 PM
Nesterovic is asking for more than that, kiddos. Try again.

"More than" what?

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 12:41 PM
What khaoia is willing to give. Certainly more than I am comfortable in giving. Read today's Insider that I posted.

Jimcs50
07-14-2003, 12:52 PM
What is the problem with SA? The problem is this $%$$#$% weather from hell in July. This is not the time to show FAs the wonders of SA, in the middle of July. What man in his right state of mind would leave the beautiful weather of LA and go to the hell hole that is SA in Summer? Do you notice where these Clippers are going??? Denver and Salt Lake City, where the Summer weather competes with LA's. The Spurs need to change the rules so FAs can come in in March and April or November, not in %$%^^$ July.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 12:53 PM
Minnesota's offer is $5.2 mil at a minimum. If it's $6 mil starting then that would be $58 mil total. kohai isn't too far off the mark.

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 01:00 PM
What about this?:

The T-Wolves have already made him a big-time offer, and he probably would be unwilling to wait the 15 days it would take to see if the Clips matched the offer for Brand. — ESPN Insider

That doesn't seem like a "big-time offer" to me.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 01:03 PM
:lol

A contract starting at $5.2 mil for 7 years totals $50 million.

picnroll
07-14-2003, 01:04 PM
The players that are going to Salt Lake and Denver are players that SA didnt appear to be interested in. Maggette may be nice but at the price he comes at versus Jax he's not that nice. And adding Maggette takes time away at the SG spot. Spurs have to be very careful to make Manu happy this year because next year they're likely going to have to convince him to stay here for offers considerably less than he'll get elsewhere.

Miller is no better and far more expensive than Parker.

If Odom or Brand sign with Denver or Utah, unless we tied up the money with Rasho and can't go after them, then I'd say somethings is wrong.

At this point, dreaming, Rasho comes and we get Odom for $9. That would be a great summer.

Supposedly Wilcox is coming on in SL and is expected to get more substantial minutes next year with the Clips.

kohai
07-14-2003, 01:08 PM
GW - Minny's offer is rumored to be in the 7 years, 49M range. An offer from SA starting at $6M with 10% ($600K)raises winds up being 6 years $45M.

6.0M
6.6M
7.2M
7.8M
8.4M
9.0M

45.0M overall

Minny's offer must be something like below. Cheap bastards are starting him only a hair above MCE.

5.000M
5.625M
6.250M
6.875M
7.500M
8.125M
8.750M

48.125M

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 01:12 PM
I guess "big-time" means "big years" to y'all.

That's not a lot of money per year if you think about it.

PJ Brown just got 4 years at $10 million.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 01:14 PM
Listen fucker, the only reason we are mentioning these numbers is because Minnesota's latest offer was reportedly at least $50 mil over 7 years. I've yet to see you offer any estimates of what that contract would look like. Until then stop embarrasing yourself.

MannyIsGod
07-14-2003, 01:19 PM
ROFLMFAO @ LISTEN FUCKER.

thats gotta be the funniest thing i've read all morning.

Jimcs50
07-14-2003, 01:26 PM
Manny, you are easy to entertain.:)

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 01:34 PM
Marcus do not misdiect another failed offseason of frustration at me.

I, myself, don't think that's a "big-time" contract. It's actuall very reasonable. So either Ford has differing information or I have a different view of what "big-time" means.

Calm down. We can still get Brand, right?

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 01:34 PM
Don't dodge the issue.

Put down your numbers.

Jimcs50
07-14-2003, 01:38 PM
Ghost and Matt, you guys just need to lay your cocks on the table at the next GTG and have the females judge which is the best one...this is getting to be an obsession for you guys....enough is enough.:)

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 01:38 PM
Numbers for what?

Who?

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 01:39 PM
Nesterovic you scared trick.

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 01:44 PM
I don't want Nesterovic, b1tch.

I hope the Wolves are offering him more than we're willing to give.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 01:46 PM
That's not the issue. You said our numbers for Nesterovic were incorrect.

Put up or shut up you scared little boy.

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 01:49 PM
No I did not, c0cksvcker.

Show me where I said your numbers were wrong.

For the third time, my definition of a "big-time" contract does not match Chad Ford's. Plain and simple.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 01:50 PM
Don't attempt to split words fucker. You said we were wrong. Show us how.

MannyIsGod
07-14-2003, 01:51 PM
jim...lmao..yeah.

I don't know why that struck me as so funny, but man it had me laughing.

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 01:51 PM
Re-read this post and show me where I said you, Ford or that goof over there was wrong.

You can't, so STFU already.

I don't consider that a bi-gtime contract. The Spurs shouldn't have any trouble outbidding the T-Wolves on that kind of contract. That sucks.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 01:55 PM
There you go again. You told us that our estimates of the Minnesota offer to Nesterovic were too low. To most sane people that means that you thought they were wrong. Show us how they were too low then.

Stop dodging the issue and impress us with your great wisdom, Ghost. You talk so much shit about everyone else here and you know very little.

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 01:57 PM
Um, I just re-read the entire thread and no where did I take exception to your numbers by saying they were too low. I mentioned thta Ford think the Wolves came in with a big-time offer. That's it.

B1tch.

Take your Prozac and keep thinking sweet thoughts of how one of these summers, you'll get that star.

I'm not the enemy.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 01:58 PM
Show us fucker.

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 02:02 PM
Show you what?

I don't disagree with your numbers.

For the fifth time, Super 'Tard, I was surprised at Ford's defintion of a big-time offer, you stupid sunuvabiyathc.

It's not my fault I told you the Holt-ing Pattern was a crapshoot. You're out of excuses as to why the front office can't add star talent to this team. I am truly, deeply sorry.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 02:07 PM
:lol Whatever.

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 02:12 PM
There. When challenged to quote me, you cower.

Are you done with your little tantrum?

I prepared you for this summer's letdown, but you didn't want to believe it.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 02:13 PM
Keep talking. You've been exposed, again, for the scared money 'tard you are.

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 02:16 PM
:rolleyes

Exposed?

When are the superstars coming?

Are you sure you don't want to change your posiiton back to anti-Holt-ing Pattern?

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2003, 02:18 PM
:lol

You poor bitch. You can't back up your shit so you try to dodge the issue again and again. Standard fare for you.

Ghost Writer
07-14-2003, 02:20 PM
I dodge nothing.

I'm not going disprove something you can't prove I ever took exception to.

I can tell you that I was right about the Holt-ing Patten thus far.

You're weren't.

klubyreturns
07-14-2003, 02:34 PM
Marcus, sorry but your idea is shit. Donald Sterling will stare down any offer for his guys and instill fear and intimidation in your boy Popovich. Try again, dude! :rolleyes