PDA

View Full Version : 76ers head coaching search: Job is Mike D'Antoni's to lose, per report

ducks
09-18-2020, 09:52 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/76ers-head-coaching-search-job-is-mike-dantonis-to-lose-per-report/?fbclid=IwAR399Me2inffCYmDhNIFmgTkB8Xreh73VYbLjqIX YxbYNoP9aVi8VbskvTg

Rusty
09-18-2020, 10:16 PM
Ben Simmons will finally start shooting 3's? :lol

baseline bum
09-18-2020, 10:29 PM
If there is one thing D'Antoni is skilled at, it's losing when a heavy favorite

Seventyniner
09-18-2020, 10:37 PM
A match made in Hades. Embiid's knees are going to break in half by midseason.

Rusty
09-18-2020, 11:12 PM

:rollin

R. DeMurre
09-19-2020, 12:20 AM
Jimmy Butler left because he felt the team was undisciplined and not focused enough on defense... D'Antoni doesn't fix those issues.

BG_Spurs_Fan
09-19-2020, 01:36 AM
Literally can't think of a worse fit.

On the other hand Sixers should finally decide between Simmons and Embiid and trade the other one while they have value.

TimDunkem
09-19-2020, 01:39 AM
Are they trying to tank? From Embiid being useless in a D'Antoni system, to him and Ben likely being run down in a D'Antoni team, to not having the personnel to run the system itself, there couldn't be a worse fit.

They have no gameplan after "the process". They had their chance and now they're just throwing shit at the wall.

Play Boban
09-19-2020, 02:57 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/76ers-head-coaching-search-job-is-mike-dantonis-to-lose-per-report/?fbclid=IwAR399Me2inffCYmDhNIFmgTkB8Xreh73VYbLjqIX YxbYNoP9aVi8VbskvTg
white privilege tbh

RC_Drunkford
09-19-2020, 03:25 AM
So the small ball, take 50 3s per game coach goes to a team with a dominant big man and a PG who can’t shoot?

exstatic
09-19-2020, 07:48 AM
D’Antoni is the modern Dick Motta. Their coaching styles are nothing alike. The point is that Motta had a sub .500 record, and was hired enough times to accrue a 935-1017 record. People kept hiring him, when they probably should have moved on from whatever ineffective system he ran over decades.

KaiRMD1
09-19-2020, 12:04 PM
I'll never understand the appeal to D'Antoni considering he seems to shit the bed when he is the heavy favorite. The amount of times his teams have "the odds on favorite" is hilarious.

Dex
09-19-2020, 12:15 PM
76ers is basically the opposite of Pringle's system. All size, no shooting.

He's going to the Pacers.

Dverde
09-19-2020, 02:36 PM
Pringles is done. He just don’t know it yet. I wouldn’t be surprised if no one hired him with his whiny exit in Houston. Crying how his bosses’ boss didn’t call him after losing.

RD2191
09-19-2020, 02:40 PM
Pringles is done. He just don’t know it yet. I wouldn’t be surprised if no one hired him with his whiny exit in Houston. Crying how his bosses’ boss didn’t call him after losing.

I was about to say the same thing. Dude is finished.

MultiTroll
09-19-2020, 03:43 PM
But his teams have an entertainment factor for Casual Fan, and owner$$$ know this. Puts people in seats, gets some TV viewership.

Rockets, could not help but get some good LOLs when watching Harden and not knowing if he was coming off a strip club night where he dropped a portion of his mega millions on strippers and booze and was just sleepwalking thru the game or....having one of his good games. The guy, for all of his flopping bullshit and mostly ball hogging ways he does have some great shooting nights and some great assist nights. We've seen him make some kick ass passes when he chooses to draw attention and dishes off.

cool cat
09-19-2020, 03:51 PM
If there is anyone who knows how to lose a sure thing...

offset formation
09-19-2020, 05:17 PM
This seems like a bad potential hire and a non-fit on every level. I never understand most NBA hires really.

You gonna push the ball andnot set up the offense when you have an old school center nor a team with many starting spot up 3 pt shooters

phxspurfan
09-20-2020, 01:40 AM
lol, this will be funny as hell

gospursgojas
09-20-2020, 03:14 AM
When will the NBA give up on Pringle’s??? Lol

Texas_Ranger
09-20-2020, 04:35 AM
Embiid will retire in 3 years.

tbdog
09-20-2020, 05:03 AM
D'Antoni will also have a what if career. What if Amare and Diaw didn't run off the bench. What if Rockets hit a 3 instead of going 0-27. He is a one trick poney, that get's the most out of his team during the regular season. Which as result, gets owners to pay to make one run.

exstatic
09-20-2020, 05:57 AM

He actually looked done after his NYK stint. Then, along came GS, winning and winning. Humans, being what they are, only saw their flawless offense, not their suffocating top 3 defense, and though Three First Names could replicate it.

BillMc
09-20-2020, 08:54 AM

Yeah. And doesn't Mike D have a thing against traditional big men? Not the coach Embiid needs at all at this point in his career.

Mike hates bigmen, loves outside shooters. Philly's 2 stars are a bigman and a guy with no range. Yikes!

BillMc
09-20-2020, 09:03 AM
I was about to say the same thing. Dude is finished.

i thought he was done after NYK.

Then after the Lakers debacle.

He just keeps rising from his grave like Jason Voorhees, The Rolling Stones, and other undead creatures...

KobesAchilles
09-20-2020, 09:05 AM
It’s a bad fit. I actually think Mike is a great coach, but mainly for teams that don’t have any real pressure on them. Once you have great expectations, he folds. But if you pair him with a young team then he is great. It’s why I think he would be perfect for the Spurs.

look_at_g_shred
09-20-2020, 09:18 AM
I’d welcome him as an assistant. Spurs need to shoot the 3 more.

RD2191
09-20-2020, 09:47 AM
i thought he was done after NYK.

Then after the Lakers debacle.

He just keeps rising from his grave like Jason Voorhees, The Rolling Stones, and other undead creatures...
:lmao

Dverde
09-20-2020, 11:12 AM

I bet some of 76ers owners want him. He might get another job, but he’ll fail and be gone for good within 2 1/2 years. It’s not worth it Pringles, give it up and enjoy your 70s.

Dverde
09-20-2020, 11:13 AM
I’d welcome him as an assistant. Spurs need to shoot the 3 more.

He’d eat a Pringles can before being Pop’s assistant.

baseline bum
09-20-2020, 08:26 PM
I bet some of 76ers owners want him. He might get another job, but he’ll fail and be gone for good within 2 1/2 years. It’s not worth it Pringles, give it up and enjoy your 70s.

Why would he give it up when idiots are lining up to pay him millions?

ducks
09-23-2020, 11:26 PM
According to @KeithSmithNBA, the Sixers are letting teams know they are open to trade talks if they hire Mike D’Antoni as their next head coach.

— Hoop Central (@TheHoopCentral) September 23, 2020
Because of the style of play Mike D'Antoni likes to play, it's likely the team explores trading Ben Simmons, who even though loves to play in transition, he's not a good shooter, and D'Antoni's offense is all about shooting the basketball. Simmons 29% from three just isn't going to cut it.

BillMc
09-24-2020, 05:42 AM
According to @KeithSmithNBA, the Sixers are letting teams know they are open to trade talks if they hire Mike D’Antoni as their next head coach.

— Hoop Central (@TheHoopCentral) September 23, 2020
Because of the style of play Mike D'Antoni likes to play, it's likely the team explores trading Ben Simmons, who even though loves to play in transition, he's not a good shooter, and D'Antoni's offense is all about shooting the basketball. Simmons 29% from three just isn't going to cut it.

LOL, giving up a young (if flawed) star to meet the needs of an aging coach who has never won anything.

mo7888
09-24-2020, 07:10 AM
LOL, giving up a young (if flawed) star to meet the needs of an aging coach who has never won anything.

I think they know they have to trade Ben or Joel this off-season because they aren't a good fit and this is just a way to sell that to their base.

I guess the question for each team now is what would you give for Ben?

cjw
09-24-2020, 08:12 AM
I think they know they have to trade Ben or Joel this off-season because they aren't a good fit and this is just a way to sell that to their base.

I guess the question for each team now is what would you give for Ben?

Agree, this is cover. They know the two can’t coexist. It’s not just their style of play, but also attitude. It’s no wonder they drove away Jimmy Butler, who is the perfect fit for a city like Philly. He’s having the last laugh right now.

Over time, you’ll see the league place more value on guys who can play with any team vs. guys that are a tough fit unless you cater specifically to their style, largely because of lack of shot range. Simmons and Westbrook are extreme examples that alter geometry on the floor. We also feel it with guys like Demar who play a position where shooting from 3 is a must, and needing to surround him with guys who can space the floor but leave things to be desired elsewhere.

exstatic
09-24-2020, 08:46 AM
Agree, this is cover. They know the two can’t coexist. It’s not just their style of play, but also attitude. It’s no wonder they drove away Jimmy Butler, who is the perfect fit for a city like Philly. He’s having the last laugh right now.

Over time, you’ll see the league place more value on guys who can play with any team vs. guys that are a tough fit unless you cater specifically to their style, largely because of lack of shot range. Simmons and Westbrook are extreme examples that alter geometry on the floor. We also feel it with guys like Demar who play a position where shooting from 3 is a must, and needing to surround him with guys who can space the floor but leave things to be desired elsewhere.

Please don’t ever compare Simmons to DeRozan. The ONLY similarity in their games is a lack of 3 point shooting. Simmons has never been a high usage player, topping out at 22%, while DeRozan has had 10 seasons higher than that, once a whopping, Hardenesque 34%. He has also only had one season where he was NOT a net negative on DBPM, and Simmons is always comfortably positive in that category.

Spursfanfromafar
09-24-2020, 08:58 AM
If the Spurs get a chance to trade for Simmons, they *must* do it. He is an excellent defender who defends 1 to 5, very good playmaker and a high IQ player. Yes, he lacks shooting, but he can play point forward and defend and if paired with other shooters, he will be an outstanding addition. Simmons will be a fantastic replacement for DeMar and will be a great fit with White, Keldon, Walker and Aldridge. Heck, even Poeltl will fit well with him if the other three on the floor are good shooters.

Dont know the trade parameters because extensions kick in for Dejounte and Simmons next year. But a trade featuring Demar plus Dejounte plus maybe the 11th pick should be a good one for Simmons, I think, from a Spurs perspective. The 76ers wont get a shooter in exchange though and I dont know if they will agree to this.

Dverde
09-24-2020, 09:01 AM
Pretty sure they are looking to dump Tobias Harris or Al Horford. It would be NBA malpractice to move BenSimmons at this point.

The Truth #6
09-24-2020, 09:43 AM
As long as they stay away from Becky...

exstatic
09-24-2020, 01:53 PM
Pretty sure they are looking to dump Tobias Harris or Al Horford. It would be NBA malpractice to move BenSimmons at this point.

Simmons can’t function in D’Antoni’s offense. Mike has never showed any interest in running any other kinds of sets.

Rusty
09-24-2020, 02:08 PM
Dont know the trade parameters because extensions kick in for Dejounte and Simmons next year. But a trade featuring Demar plus Dejounte plus maybe the 11th pick should be a good one for Simmons, I think, from a Spurs perspective. The 76ers wont get a shooter in exchange though and I dont know if they will agree to this.

No way in hell 76ers agrees to that:lol

rjv
09-24-2020, 03:56 PM
how is this guy still in demand?

ducks
09-25-2020, 12:23 AM
They now want to trade for harden

exstatic
09-25-2020, 08:15 AM
Great. Import two losers, instead of one.

ginobilized
09-25-2020, 02:40 PM
I’m not a numbers guy, but I like Forbes for Simmons
Pringles can have the east coast Steph
Do it, RC

gambit1990
09-25-2020, 03:26 PM
how is this guy still in demand?
he's a good coach.

Robz4000
09-25-2020, 04:16 PM
Would actually prolly benefit Harden to head to Philly with Pringles. He might be able to get to the Finals that way unless the Heat land Giannis.

Seventyniner
09-25-2020, 04:36 PM
What could Philly possible offer Houston that would be enough for Harden?

Something funny to think about is a full-scale roster swap. D'Antonio would just be running it back but in the East instead.

Robz4000
09-25-2020, 04:49 PM
What could Philly possible offer Houston that would be enough for Harden?

Something funny to think about is a full-scale roster swap. D'Antonio would just be running it back but in the East instead.

Simmons, Horford, and a pick for Harden and Westchimp?

exstatic
09-25-2020, 05:05 PM
he's a good coach.

He runs a gimmick system that comes apart like stewed chicken in the playoffs...every time.

gambit1990
09-26-2020, 03:04 AM
He runs a gimmick system that comes apart like stewed chicken in the playoffs...every time.
he'd have at least one ring with the suns if not for the spurs. and at least one ring with the rockets if not for the warriors.

exstatic
09-26-2020, 09:15 PM
he'd have at least one ring with the suns if not for the spurs. and at least one ring with the rockets if not for the warriors.

Excuses. Spurs had some bad beats in the playoffs, Fisher, Manus foul, 2013. They got it done five times. Three First Names runs a gimmick system that doesn’t hold up under pressure.

gambit1990
09-26-2020, 10:12 PM
Excuses. Spurs had some bad beats in the playoffs, Fisher, Manus foul, 2013. They got it done five times. Three First Names runs a gimmick system that doesn’t hold up under pressure.
spurs had td.

exstatic
09-27-2020, 06:41 AM
spurs had td.

Nash, Matrix, Amare, Harden. All in their primes. CP3 and Westbrook, post prime. He’s had talent.