PDA

View Full Version : 14 years ago today......

ro_50
11-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Magic Johnson announced he had the HIV virus.

For those of us old enough to remember that day, the sky was dark and the mood was somber. I knew something was terribly wrong that day.

That day is still prevalent in my heart and mind. His announcement brought the AIDs Epidemic to the mainstream.

As someone who has lost a special person to this disease, lets not forget that day and how much of an social impact it had on normal everyday people.

HB22inSA
11-08-2005, 06:34 PM
Oh My God I feel old now...

BronxCowboy
11-08-2005, 07:06 PM
For those of us old enough to remember that day,
:lmao
Give me a break. It isn't ancient history. I know I'm young and I'm sure some people younger than me remember. It was only 14 years ago. If you're old enough to drink, you're old enough to remember this.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2005, 07:08 PM
I don't think it was dark everywhere, but yes -- it's important.

JamStone
11-08-2005, 07:30 PM
and Magic is alive and kicking today, with almost no trace of the HIV virus in his blood ... bring back the government conspiracies of withholding cures to medical problems for the masses.

PistonsFan
11-08-2005, 07:45 PM
I was like 2.5 months old

ALVAREZ6
11-08-2005, 07:46 PM
I was 2.

midgetonadonkey
11-08-2005, 07:46 PM
I wish I was an NBA Hall of Famer so I can get cured of my STDs.

BronxCowboy
11-08-2005, 07:47 PM
and Magic is alive and kicking today, with almost no trace of the HIV virus in his blood ... bring back the government conspiracies of withholding cures to medical problems for the masses.

Well, it's important to note 1) that he isn't cured, no one with HIV has been, 2) treatment is currently available for everyone with HIV, but 3) unfortunately, sometimes access to healthcare still does depend who you are, i.e. the best of anything comes with a pricetag.

TDMVPDPOY
11-08-2005, 07:52 PM
14 years ago didnt he hug sumone after the guy finish the dunk and was landin down, and wanted to be release from bearhug?.......

nkdlunch
11-08-2005, 07:55 PM
^ what??

Magic is not cured. and he will die of aids sooner or later. glad He's taking good care of himself though.

Pistons < Spurs
11-08-2005, 08:21 PM
14 years??? OMG where does the time go? I doesn't seem like it was any where near that long ago.

sickdsm
11-08-2005, 08:28 PM
I know i should be more compassionate but i can't stop thinking what an egotistical asshole he was to Mike Dunleavy and how crappy of a commentator he is thats being shoved down our face.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-09-2005, 09:21 AM
Wow, it doesn't seem like fourteen years ago. I guess that means I was about eight or nine. I do remember that very clearly. Even at that age I knew that this was something that was really earth shaking. Back then AIDS still held a status as a medical bogeyman, in that the general public knew enough to be scared of it, but not enough to be considered well informed. This really brought a lot of attention to it and put a straight face on the disease.

It also really highlights the advances that medical sciences has made. Back when the news story broke I remember hearing that he probably wouldn't be around in ten years, and yet here he is. What an age we live in.

Jimcs50
11-09-2005, 09:30 AM
My baby boy was just 3 months old.

Man, that seems like forever.

Mr. Peabody
11-09-2005, 11:39 AM
I remember back then, the experts they interviewed on TV said that Magic would die within the next ten years.

The only thing that died was his talk show.
________
Laguna Heights Condos Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

JamStone
11-09-2005, 11:43 AM
Well, it's important to note 1) that he isn't cured, no one with HIV has been, 2) treatment is currently available for everyone with HIV, but 3) unfortunately, sometimes access to healthcare still does depend who you are, i.e. the best of anything comes with a pricetag.

I didn't say Magic was cured. I'm just reiterating a conspiracy theory that there IS a cure. But, I don't rule out the possibility that he is cured.

But, I recall reading an article several years ago that stated Magic Johnson's blood "currently (again a few years ago) showed no more traces of the HIV virus in his blood." Most HIV infected people die within 4 years of being infected by the virus. Most get full blown AIDS within 2 years of acquiring the virus. Most HIV infectants who last 8-10 years are considered minor miracles.

We all know that Magic has more resources and money and better access to medication. And, being an athlete, Magic likely has/had a stronger immune system and was physically better prepared to stay healthy for a longer time. But, 14 years? And, he still hasn't gotten full-blown AIDS yet? Basically no traces of HIV in his blood? Come on. Let's not be naive here.

Would it really surprise you to find out that Magic was cured?

Kip Fanatic
11-09-2005, 02:19 PM
I remember that day. I was playing basketball at a friends house with like five other guys and we were all in shock. It was cold that day because we were all playing in sweats.

On another note, I remember a joke that came out when Magic announced that he had AIDS. I know it isn't nice, but its funny. It went something like this: "What do you call Magic Johnson on a wheelchair?" What? "Rollaids."

I too have questions everytime I see him on TV. How come this guy looks so good and healthy? Does he have something that a lot of others who have AIDs don't? Or is he just a walking miracle? I am not mad though. Just curious.

boutons
11-09-2005, 02:45 PM
"Does he have something that a lot of others who have AIDs don't? "

Many $Ms

I don't think he looks healthy at all now, but not in a AIDs-wasting sense, rather in an obese sense. He must be about 300 lbs now.

SequSpur
11-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Magic likes the pole.

sickdsm
11-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Maybe i'm living in a box but i'm wondering now how come i don't hear him addressing his case much when back then he did all the time.

BronxCowboy
11-09-2005, 07:37 PM
I didn't say Magic was cured. I'm just reiterating a conspiracy theory that there IS a cure. But, I don't rule out the possibility that he is cured.

I'll rule that possibility out for you right now. There is still no cure. Magic himself is always telling people this. Not that anyone listens.

But, I recall reading an article several years ago that stated Magic Johnson's blood "currently (again a few years ago) showed no more traces of the HIV virus in his blood."

That was a misstatement made by someone who was unfamiliar with the technology. There ARE still traces which could be detected by PCR, but the usual method of determining the amount of infection in HIV patients is not sensitive enough to detect every last virus.

Most HIV infected people die within 4 years of being infected by the virus. Most get full blown AIDS within 2 years of acquiring the virus. Most HIV infectants who last 8-10 years are considered minor miracles.

Don't know where you're getting your information, but let me introduce you to the 21st century in the USA. With modern treatment, the life expectancy of a person with HIV is now long enough that it can be looked at as more of a chronic disease like diabetes or high blood pressure. The figures you are using there were true about ten years ago, maybe more. There are now many people who have been living with HIV for close to 20 years.

Get educated before you try to come up with "theories."

samikeyp
11-09-2005, 08:26 PM
The only thing that died was his talk show

yeah...that was awful.