PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 QB’s

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
09-22-2020, 01:44 PM
For me, I’ll be changing all season, based off the beginning of the year until now

Post your rankings:

1) Mahommes
2) Wilson
3) Jackson
4) Rodgers
5) Newton
6) Brees
7) Brady
8) Allen
9) Murray
10) Watson

Just missed the cut:

11) Rivers
12) Prescott
13) Goff
14) Roethlisberger
15) Ryan
16) Tannehill
17) Wentz
18) Carr
19) Stafford
20) Bridgewater

spurraider21
09-22-2020, 02:53 PM
1) Mahomes - Don't think he's really played off the charts this year, but we know what he is and he still makes stupid good throws like the bomb to Hill on the run this week
2) Wilson - I think it's closer than people think between him and Mahomes
3) Jackson - He still hasn't really been figured out, and has the arm talent to continue improving as a passer
4) Rodgers - Great bounce-back season so far... was starting to think he was getting close to being done.
5) Allen - Might be too early to put him here, but he's playing out of his mind this year, so gotta show him some love. He's still not terribly accurate downfield, but Diggs and Brown are two of the best deep ball receivers in the league, so they give him more room for error.

6) Newton - Nobody thought he'd look this good
6) Brady - Think he's playing better than the numbers have indicated. He's dealt with a surprising amount of drops, including what should have been TDs. Think he'll climb this list.
7) Murray - Looks a lot better in year 2. Hopkins helps, but he's also just playing more confidently than last year
8) Tannehill - He's largely picked up where he left off last year, and that's with AJ Brown not being a factor yet. Things can get even better
9) Prescott - He's been doing it all. Could easily have him as high as #7 on this list and I wouldn't argue it. Hasn't had a huge Cooper/Gallup touchdown yet either.
10) Goff - This team was expected by many to implode, but he's played really well, even with the losses of Gurley and Cooks

honorable mention: Deshaun Watson (big fan of his, but that offense looks lost)

SpursforSix
09-22-2020, 02:54 PM
Too much depends on the situation to rank a lot of them. I think you could put Stafford on the Saints and he's in the top 10.
Wilson and Mahomes are 1 and 2 for me.

spurraider21
09-22-2020, 02:55 PM
Brees is playing nowhere near top 10 right now. It's not even just the arm strength, he was flat out missing throws yesterday.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
09-22-2020, 02:57 PM
Brees is playing nowhere near top 10 right now. It's not even just the arm strength, he was flat out missing throws yesterday.
I dont think so either, but Im trying to be objective from where they started the year. Thats why players like Allen, Murray, Newton, Roethlisberger or Carr arent higher and QB’s like Brees or Brady arent lower

spurraider21
09-22-2020, 03:24 PM
I dont think so either, but Im trying to be objective from where they started the year. Thats why players like Allen, Murray, Newton, Roethlisberger or Carr arent higher and QB’s like Brees or Brady arent lower
Carr hasn't been exceptional either... I don't see any reason to move him up or down from when the season started. Better in the redzone I guess. But until he starts connecting on deeper shots more consistently, he's as good as he was last year

AlexJones
09-22-2020, 03:24 PM
1. Lamar

2. Mahomes

3. Wilson

4. Dak

5. Watson

6. Rodgers

7. Roethlisberger

8. Ryan

9. Murray

10. Cousins

spurraider21
09-22-2020, 03:30 PM
1. Lamar

2. Mahomes

3. Wilson

4. Dak

5. Watson

6. Rodgers

7. Roethlisberger

8. Ryan

9. Murray

10. Cousins
:lmao

florige
09-22-2020, 06:29 PM
1) Mahomes - Don't think he's really played off the charts this year, but we know what he is and he still makes stupid good throws like the bomb to Hill on the run this week
2) Wilson - I think it's closer than people think between him and Mahomes
3) Jackson - He still hasn't really been figured out, and has the arm talent to continue improving as a passer
4) Rodgers - Great bounce-back season so far... was starting to think he was getting close to being done.
5) Allen - Might be too early to put him here, but he's playing out of his mind this year, so gotta show him some love. He's still not terribly accurate downfield, but Diggs and Brown are two of the best deep ball receivers in the league, so they give him more room for error.

6) Newton - Nobody thought he'd look this good
6) Brady - Think he's playing better than the numbers have indicated. He's dealt with a surprising amount of drops, including what should have been TDs. Think he'll climb this list.
7) Murray - Looks a lot better in year 2. Hopkins helps, but he's also just playing more confidently than last year
8) Tannehill - He's largely picked up where he left off last year, and that's with AJ Brown not being a factor yet. Things can get even better
9) Prescott - He's been doing it all. Could easily have him as high as #7 on this list and I wouldn't argue it. Hasn't had a huge Cooper/Gallup touchdown yet either.
10) Goff - This team was expected by many to implode, but he's played really well, even with the losses of Gurley and Cooks

honorable mention: Deshaun Watson (big fan of his, but that offense looks lost)

Idk about teams not figuring out Lamar yet. Over the first two games Cleveland and Houston pretty much held him in check with his scrambling. He made a couple of good runs, but nothing spectacular yet. I think teams are going to continue to just stack the box until he proves consistently that he can beat them with his arm. He's looked solid and hasn't made any real mistakes yet so we'll see how this goes

spurraider21
09-22-2020, 06:33 PM
Idk about teams not figuring out Lamar yet. Over the first two games Cleveland and Houston pretty much held him in check with his scrambling. He made a couple of good runs, but nothing spectacular yet. I think teams are going to continue to just stack the box until he proves consistently that he can beat them with his arm. He's looked solid and hasn't made any real mistakes yet so we'll see how this goes
"stack the box" has been the obvious "answer" against lamar since his rookie year, but nobody has been able to stop that offense, and its because he's punished them with chunk plays to guys like Brown and Andrews

if you sell out to stop his scrambling and he's averaging 10 yards per pass attempt through 2 weeks en route to two easy wins, yeah, he hasn't been figured out

Millennial_Messiah
09-22-2020, 09:12 PM
1. Mahomes
2. Wilson
3. Rodgers

4. Brady

5. Newton (if he can keep it up)
6. Murray
7. Roethlisberger
8. Jackson
9. Stafford
10. Ryan

spurraider21
09-22-2020, 10:04 PM
Josh Allen :wow

look at the second angle

phxspurfan
09-23-2020, 12:00 AM
Brees/Brady aren't even top 20 at this point. Big Ben, Josh Allen, Goff, Lock before he got hurt, Winshew all deserve top 10

Robz4000
09-23-2020, 12:56 AM
As of now:

Mahomes
Struggle
Rodgers
Jackson
Brady
Big Rape
Watson
Murray
Brees (benefit of the doubt)
Allen

Holden_Caulfield
09-23-2020, 08:24 AM
the disrespect to Minshew. based on the first two games he should be in the top 10. hes played better than brees, brady, stafford and watson tbh

SpursforSix
09-23-2020, 09:16 AM
Brees/Brady aren't even top 20 at this point. Big Ben, Josh Allen, Goff, Lock before he got hurt, Winshew all deserve top 10

I don't know about "not even top 20" but in general, I agree with this. And maybe if I ranked the top 20, you might be right. We'll see when Godwin gets back for Brady what he looks like.
But Winston was able to make that offense work until he turned it over every game. Someone like Minshew would crush it with that group.

Millennial_Messiah
09-23-2020, 10:51 AM
Josh Allen :wow

look at the second angle

:lol Jests and Lawlphins.

Okay, I'll put Allen in my 15-20 range for now, one spot above Prescott, but he has to earn it. Can he beat the Patriots? He's 0-4 career against them. Last year he threw 3 ghastly picks at home against them and played so badly he got benched for Matt Barkley. :lmao.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
09-23-2020, 11:28 AM
the disrespect to Minshew. based on the first two games he should be in the top 10. hes played better than brees, brady, stafford and watson tbh
Youre right. He should be placed up here. But he has to do it longer to hit top 15. Id put him abovr Carr and behind Ryan. He has to win. Ryan puts up hella numbers every year.

Millennial_Messiah
09-23-2020, 12:05 PM
Youre right. He should be placed up here. But he has to do it longer to hit top 15. Id put him abovr Carr and behind Ryan. He has to win. Ryan puts up hella numbers every year.

Carr is arguably top 10 himself. Minshew is 6th round talent so he has a lot more to prove. He hasn't really proven to be a winner just yet.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
09-23-2020, 12:29 PM
Carr is arguably top 10 himself. Minshew is 6th round talent so he has a lot more to prove. He hasn't really proven to be a winner just yet.
Neither has Carr. Carr isnt even a lock to keep his job through the year. Im hesitant after two games. If he keeps playing like he has into week 8 he should be top ten. Just cant put him above the players I did. Way too unproven. This is the best hes looked since his rookie year. To put it blunt, I think Mariota is better & Gruden knows it

spurraider21
09-23-2020, 12:33 PM
:lol Jests and Lawlphins.

Okay, I'll put Allen in my 15-20 range for now, one spot above Prescott, but he has to earn it. Can he beat the Patriots? He's 0-4 career against them. Last year he threw 3 ghastly picks at home against them and played so badly he got benched for Matt Barkley. :lmao.
but a great throw in tight coverage is a great throw in tight coverage no matter who he's playing

spurraider21
09-23-2020, 12:37 PM

Neither has Carr. Carr isnt even a lock to keep his job through the year. Im hesitant after two games. If he keeps playing like he has into week 8 he should be top ten. Just cant put him above the players I did. Way too unproven. This is the best hes looked since his rookie year. To put it blunt, I think Mariota is better & Gruden knows it
Carr isn't top 10. He's had 1 legitimate season of top 10 play, and we are in his 7th season. He's playing about as well as he did last year. Efficient, accurate, keeps the offense on schedule, keeps them out of 3rd and long, and has been accurate on 3rd downs... but he doesn't generate enough chunk plays to be explosive. I don't get why people are so enamored with his first2 games of this year as if it's any different from what we saw last year.

The criticism of Carr is that he's really turned himself into a stereotypical "system" QB, in that even on his check-downs, he's more often than not technically making the right read and right decision, but he doesn't take those chances that the great QBs do. He doesn't make those big plays when things break down. He doesn't ramp up the aggressiveness enough when the team is in a hole. He always follows exactly what the progression is, sometimes to a fault.

The next level for him is to start having at least 1-2 chunk plays to Ruggs per game.

He's better than Minshew though :lol

phxspurfan
09-23-2020, 01:25 PM
Carr isn't top 10. He's had 1 legitimate season of top 10 play, and we are in his 7th season. He's playing about as well as he did last year. Efficient, accurate, keeps the offense on schedule, keeps them out of 3rd and long, and has been accurate on 3rd downs... but he doesn't generate enough chunk plays to be explosive. I don't get why people are so enamored with his first2 games of this year as if it's any different from what we saw last year.

The criticism of Carr is that he's really turned himself into a stereotypical "system" QB, in that even on his check-downs, he's more often than not technically making the right read and right decision, but he doesn't take those chances that the great QBs do. He doesn't make those big plays when things break down. He doesn't ramp up the aggressiveness enough when the team is in a hole. He always follows exactly what the progression is, sometimes to a fault.

The next level for him is to start having at least 1-2 chunk plays to Ruggs per game.

Dude who cries on the sidelines better than Grand Master Winshew... ok

Millennial_Messiah
09-23-2020, 02:55 PM
Mariota better than Carr? :lmao

Millennial_Messiah
09-23-2020, 02:56 PM
lmfao

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
09-23-2020, 04:26 PM

No doubt. Win or lose, Carr is in a dangerous place in his career, and it all hinges on this year. Hes right in the middle between a game manager with little flashes of his old self at Fresno State being a gunslinger. He comes from a pass heavy background, but he seemed afraid to make mistakes over the year. He has had a good start, and a win against the Patriots would mean everything.

spurraider21
09-23-2020, 04:39 PM
No doubt. Win or lose, Carr is in a dangerous place in his career, and it all hinges on this year. Hes right in the middle between a game manager with little flashes of his old self at Fresno State being a gunslinger. He comes from a pass heavy background, but he seemed afraid to make mistakes over the year. He has had a good start, and a win against the Patriots would mean everything.
i dont buy that his seat is as hot as people think. the raiders have had 5 first round picks in the last 2 years, all under Gruden's time... they did pay mariota a lot to be a backup, but he's not a realistic replacement option.

if carr does end up having a faceplant season, nothing is off the table, but there would have to be a legitimate replacement option. they're not going to dump him just for the sake of dumping him. i dont think the raiders will be bad enough to land lawrence/field/lance. but faceplant season means faceplant. if he completes 70% of his passes, throws for 4000+ yards, ~25 TDs, they're not moving away

Millennial_Messiah
09-23-2020, 04:50 PM
i dont buy that his seat is as hot as people think. the raiders have had 5 first round picks in the last 2 years, all under Gruden's time... they did pay mariota a lot to be a backup, but he's not a realistic replacement option. if carr does end up having a faceplant season, nothing is off the table, but there would have to be a legitimate replacement option. they're not going to dump him just for the sake of dumping him. i dont think the raiders will be bad enough to land lawrence/field/lance. but faceplant season means faceplant. if he completes 70% of his passes, throws for 4000+ yards, ~25 TDs, they're not moving away plus it's already hard to have a "faceplant season" when you're 2-0 and already beat one of the league's best teams... (yeah I know it happened to Houston in 2013, but that was an absurd extreme outlier and really spurred by Matt Schaub's late game losing pick-six to Richard Sherman and Seattle when Houston was staring 3-1 in the face.

spurraider21
09-23-2020, 04:52 PM
plus it's already hard to have a "faceplant season" when you're 2-0 and already beat one of the league's best teams... (yeah I know it happened to Houston in 2013, but that was an absurd extreme outlier and really spurred by Matt Schaub's late game losing pick-six to Richard Sherman and Seattle when Houston was staring 3-1 in the face.
way too early to make any kind of determination like that. a ton of football to be played.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
09-23-2020, 05:30 PM
way too early to make any kind of determination like that. a ton of football to be played.
As you know, 2-0 means absolutely nothing. So many terrible Carolina teams started out 2-0

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
09-23-2020, 05:31 PM
i dont buy that his seat is as hot as people think. the raiders have had 5 first round picks in the last 2 years, all under Gruden's time... they did pay mariota a lot to be a backup, but he's not a realistic replacement option.

if carr does end up having a faceplant season, nothing is off the table, but there would have to be a legitimate replacement option. they're not going to dump him just for the sake of dumping him. i dont think the raiders will be bad enough to land lawrence/field/lance. but faceplant season means faceplant. if he completes 70% of his passes, throws for 4000+ yards, ~25 TDs, they're not moving away
I just dont think Gruden is behind him, which is big no matter the skill level. If he pushes those numbers he deserves to start. Think he can do it?

DAF86
09-23-2020, 05:40 PM
1) Mahomes / Wilson

3) Jackson

4) Rodgers
5) Watson
6) Murray
7) Allen
8) Roethlisberger
9) Ryan
10) Dak

spurraider21
09-23-2020, 05:54 PM
I just dont think Gruden is behind him, which is big no matter the skill level. If he pushes those numbers he deserves to start. Think he can do it?
people were calling last season a bad season for Carr and he threw for over 4000, 70%, and 21 TDs (23 with rushing).

in 2 games this year he's completing over 72%, on pace for over 4100, and 32 TDs.

gruden also loves having veteran QBs who can understand his system/terminology well. he doesnt have much of a track record with young QBs. he had his best years with Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson, Jeff Garcia

Holden_Caulfield
09-23-2020, 06:20 PM
minshew has a better starting record than murray lol. 7-7 to kylers 7-10-1

spurraider21
09-26-2020, 02:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdo9iuAlJ_k
Millennial_Messiah

Millennial_Messiah
09-26-2020, 08:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdo9iuAlJ_k
Millennial_Messiah (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=50493)

I like that guy's videos but despite all the wordiness and analysis, he's only right about 50-60% of the time.

Blake
10-05-2020, 12:34 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/gardner-minshews-best-throws-351-212200207.html

Minshew has all day to dink and dunk back there. Never had to throw on the run. Nice job but nothing special.

SpursforSix
10-05-2020, 09:37 AM
I like that guy's videos but despite all the wordiness and analysis, he's only right about 50-60% of the time.

Right now, you're sitting at 6 and 7 for the week with your wordiness and analysis.

Millennial_Messiah
10-05-2020, 09:39 AM
Right now, you're sitting at 6 and 7 for the week with your wordiness and analysis.

Chiefs and Falcons win tonight and I'm above .500. If the Falcons in particular lose (Green Gay needs to get knocked off their high horse ASAP, because Cool Russ and the Seahawks >>> Smugface Rodgers) I'll probably take a week off spurstalk sports, being reduced to a meteorologist and political analyst.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
10-05-2020, 10:12 AM
Chiefs and Falcons win tonight and I'm above .500. If the Falcons in particular lose (Green Gay needs to get knocked off their high horse ASAP, because Cool Russ and the Seahawks >>> Smugface Rodgers) I'll probably take a week off spurstalk sports, being reduced to a meteorologist and political analyst.
I dont know where you got those numbers, I count you at 4-9

Blake
10-05-2020, 11:59 PM
I guess we learned Stidham is still mediocre.

I wonder if NE wishes they could have a do over with Tommy