ducks
11-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Finley adjusting to reserve role
Chicago Sun Times
By John Jackson
November 8, 2005
Link: Chicago Sun Times

Finley adjusting to reserve role

Whenever players say it's not about the money, it's almost always about the money. And when it's not about the money, it's usually about playing time.

Michael Finley, though, can honestly say his decision to sign with the San Antonio Spurs back in September had nothing to do with money or playing time. The Phoenix Suns, Miami Heat and Minnesota Timberwolves -- the other teams he was considering -- all were offering more money and a chance to earn a starting job.

The Spurs' offer? It was half the money for a reserve role.

But there was one aspect of playing with the Spurs that none of the other teams could match -- the high probability of playing on a championship team.

San Antonio returns nearly every key player from last season's championship team, and Finley figures his addition makes the team's chances of repeating that much better.

''When you look at this team from afar, you assume they are doing something right because everything is always falling into place for them, on and off the court,'' he said. ''You want to be a part of that.''

Of course, Finley's decision was made easier because the Dallas Mavericks -- who waived him under the amnesty provision of the new collective-bargaining agreement -- still owed him nearly $52 million. He'll collect practically every penny left on that contract (plus his salary this season), but the Mavs saved roughly $50 million in luxury taxes from the move.

But a fat bank account hasn't made adjusting to his new role any easier. The two-time All-Star entered this season with a career average of 19 points per game and had started 696 of 735 regular-season games in his 10-year career.

''Every game, every practice, I'm learning,'' Finley said after the Spurs held off the Bulls for a 104-95 overtime victory Monday night at the United Center. ''It's going to be a gradual adjustment for me. This new role of coming off the bench, I've bought into it, but from a mental and physical standpoint, I have to get used to it.''

The former Proviso East star, who entered the game averaging seven points, started by missing his first 11 field-goal attempts before finally nailing a three-pointer at the start of the fourth quarter and adding a 20-footer later in the fourth. In overtime, Finley nailed a three-pointer for a 98-93 San Antonio lead with just over three minutes left, and the Bulls never threatened again.

He finished with eight points on 3-for-15 shooting -- and surpassed the 14,000-point mark.

''I think he's accepted his role and he understands what he has to do, and it's just about getting some consistency right now from him,'' Spurs All-Star Tim Duncan said of Finley. ''He's struggling right now with his shot, which is his forte. He's getting good looks at the basket, and once he starts knocking them down, he's going to make us better and he's going to get some more time on the floor.''

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich agrees with that assessment of Finley: ''He's a real pro. He's going to come and give you everything he's got every night. He's very attentive, very focused and actually very focused defensively. He's trying to figure out the system team-wise -- where he should be on the court, getting language down -- so he understands what we're doing.

''He's been great.''

Considering the me-first attitude of many players, Finley hasn't been credited with making a selfless decision, but TNT analyst Charles Barkley isn't buying it.

''If the Spurs want you,'' Barkley said, ''you'd be a fool not to want them, too.''

And Finley is no fool.