PDA

View Full Version : Chauncey Billups vs. Tony Parker

ABDENOUR POWER
11-08-2005, 10:11 PM
A lot of people on here have been talking about TP's stepped up play, so I thought I'd mention Billups' play. He hasn't been shooting well, but through 3 games he's averaging 9 assists and 1 TO. How do you think Parker and Billups compare?

ducks
11-08-2005, 10:12 PM
head on head billups has an advantage
but tp in game 7 shut him down

Pistons < Spurs
11-08-2005, 10:13 PM
but through 3 games he's averaging 9 assists and 1 TO

hell yeah! 27 assists, only 3to's through 3 games!

My vote is Billups of course! :fro

ducks
TP passing has improved

Pistons < Spurs
head on head billups has an advantage
but tp in game 7 shut him down

Bowen shut Chauncey down.

Pistons < Spurs
11-08-2005, 10:16 PM
if you go to yahoo.com
go to sports then nba
under who is hot
tp is and he is averagng .07 turnovers

HAHAHAHAHA..........Thats Smush Parker! not TP!

ducks
11-08-2005, 10:17 PM
I noticed that that is why I edited that

ducks
11-08-2005, 10:26 PM
and parker is not?

picnroll
11-08-2005, 10:40 PM
In an eight year career Billups has averaged 13.6 points on .408 shooting and 4.6 assists to 2.0 TO. At Parkers age he was scoring 8.6 PPG on.337 shooting with 3.0 assists. Thanks but I think I'll stick with Parker, his present and his future. If Parker has put up Billups numbers at age 29 he'll have been a complete failure.

ABDENOUR POWER
11-08-2005, 10:40 PM
and parker is not?

Parker is legit. But IMO Billups is better.

SpursIndonesia
11-08-2005, 10:44 PM
For now, Billups holds a slight lead, he's a better man to man & versatile defender + better shooter -esp in clutch time-, but considering their age & Tony's potential, TP can catch up within a year or two -better Midrange jumper & FT would help a lot, as his ever improving defense.

One thing for sure, Both are not pass first PG -averaging 9 assists in 3 games doesn't make one IMHO

FromWayDowntown
11-08-2005, 10:54 PM
Parker is legit. But IMO Billups is better.

Billups is also a lot more experienced and, arguably, is THE star of his team. Parker is still only 23, appears to be improving every year, and is not THE star of his team.

If I had to win one big game right now, I take Billups. But over the course of the next 3-4 seasons, I'll take Parker.

It might just be me, but I've argued here before that Parker is the 2nd most talented player on the Spurs roster, behind Duncan and ahead of Ginobili in terms of sheer basketball talent. I stand by that. Ginobili has accomplished more and done it more consistently, particularly when the chips are on the table, but in the long run, I think Parker is the better all-around player.

exstatic
11-08-2005, 11:21 PM
Bowen shut Chauncey down.

Enter Kori in 3...2...1...

MI21
11-09-2005, 12:29 AM
Billups is also a lot more experienced and, arguably, is THE star of his team. Parker is still only 23, appears to be improving every year, and is not THE star of his team.

If I had to win one big game right now, I take Billups. But over the course of the next 3-4 seasons, I'll take Parker.

It might just be me, but I've argued here before that Parker is the 2nd most talented player on the Spurs roster, behind Duncan and ahead of Ginobili in terms of sheer basketball talent. I stand by that. Ginobili has accomplished more and done it more consistently, particularly when the chips are on the table, but in the long run, I think Parker is the better all-around player.

Per usual, I agree 100%.

sprrs
11-09-2005, 01:36 AM
BIllups has a pretty good size advantadge over Parker, otherwise I'd say it would be close

JamStone
11-09-2005, 01:54 AM
I love Tony Parker's speed and his fearlessness at attacking the rim.

I love how Chauncey Billups has evolved into a much more cerebral point guard. I love his leadership, his clutch shooting, toughness, and his overall confidence.

I think Chauncey is better right now. I think Parker will be better maybe as soon as 2 years from now, but it will more likely take 4-5 years, in my opinion. I realize most Spurs fans would disagree it will take that long. But, I just think Chauncey is THAT good and will continue to be that good for several years.

I think Tony Parker is a top 10 point guard. It seems he's really improved his jumpshot. Would still like to see him get stronger to become a better defender, and to continue to develop his basketball IQ, because his physical talents are already pretty amazing.

Duff McCartney
11-09-2005, 01:55 AM
The only thing I wish Tony would do is average more assists. But I guess with that that offense you can't but damn...sometimes Tim averages more assists than Tony.

Vashner
11-09-2005, 02:00 AM
Remember if we didn't win the lottery placement he would be playing for us and Timmy for Celts.

midgetonadonkey
11-09-2005, 02:02 AM
I think right now Billups is the better PG. He gets his people involved in the offense a lot better than Parker can right now and he has a better outside shot. Parker is explosive to through the lane and is a better finisher at the rim. Overall I think Parker will end up being the better player of the two but right now Billups has the edge.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-09-2005, 02:57 AM
*************ATTENTION TO ALL CHAUNCY HOMERS***********

This argument of billups vs Parker is totally moot in every conceivable way.

Why, you Chauncy Homers may ask?
I shall reveal to you the answer:

Tony Parker is a starting point guard in the NBA whose strength is using his speed to get to the basket.

Chauncy Billups is a starting point guard in the NBA whose strength is 3 point shooting and getting to the basket as a result of habitually and continuously palming the ball.

Show me another player inthis league who travels less than him.
Even better: Show me another player in this league who seriously knows no other way of dribbling other than to palm it.
I honestly think the refs let him do it because they know its the only way he knows how to dribble. He even has to palm it while dribbling and standing in place.

How pathetic is that?

The argument is moot.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-09-2005, 03:00 AM
But his hands are so incredibly big the refs have to let him get away with it!!!!!

But its the only way he knows how to dribble!!!!!

But he won a finals mvp!!!!!!!

bah.
moot.

mavsfan1000
11-09-2005, 03:01 AM
Yeah Billups is better than Parker. I think Billups is the perfect point guard for a playoff series. He has a size advantage to most point guards. I think Bruce Bowen owns Billups though because for once Billups doesn't have a size advantage. Teams are at a disadvantage from the start when they put their point guard on Billups. I think you should switch with Detroit and have Parker guard Hamilton who isn't quite as strong as Billups.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-09-2005, 03:03 AM
Do you think Chauncy would be called for more or less travelling violations than LeBron James if he represented his country in Olympic Basketball?

Cant_Be_Faded
11-09-2005, 03:08 AM
()\/\/|\|e|)

mavsfan1000
11-09-2005, 03:10 AM
Palming is a league wide problem. Wade does it more I think.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-09-2005, 03:12 AM
theres palming and theres blatant palming.

some if it is in fact impossible to avoid due to the sheer size of the average players hands.

some of it is just crap

mavsfan1000
11-09-2005, 03:14 AM
I would have to watch it closely. It seems he is holding the ball longer to trick people to think he stopped his dribble and than goes by the player. Sneaky stuff like that I remember.

mavsfan1000
11-09-2005, 03:15 AM
Also another problem in the league is illegal picks. I see that all the time. Yao got away with a shit load of moving picks last year against Dallas.

drclic
11-09-2005, 04:01 AM
Okay, i'm french and a big fan of tony but you can't say parke ris better than Billups ...

During the regular saison, stats are comparable but billups has more experience, best shot and defense ... his taller and stronger too ... no doubt is a theorical better choice but does it match with others teams ?
because he took his time before find the right team and improve his game ... so he's the go to guy with pistons but with spurs i think gino and duncan would shadow him ... and as parker in playoff, he would become the 3rd option ...

I'm not sure my english was clear ... but at least i try ...

Stf.

xcoriate
11-09-2005, 04:34 AM
I think physically its a wash, sure Chauncey is stronger, but Tony is quicker. Tony's quickness is as much an advantage as Chauncey stregnth if not more. I mean how often can you post up as a PG anyway?

Still at this stage I think Chauncey is the better player, Parker still needs to work on his playmaking/jumpshot. Hios defense is underrated and his interior finish is the best for a pg bar none.

Chauncey however has the complete package, a physical gift: streggnth, outside shot, defense as well as the ability to finish in the paint. Finally he can create for others and run a team with a combination of tempo control, passing and leadership.

AI-square
11-09-2005, 04:56 AM
...tempo control, passing and leadership.

And that's why Billups is better than Parker IMO

boutons
11-09-2005, 05:01 AM
"tp in game 7 shut him down"

typical ducks BS.
Bruce guarded Chauncey in Game7 4th qtr because Tony really couldn't handle Chauncey completely.

Pistons < Spurs
11-09-2005, 09:27 AM
*************ATTENTION TO ALL CHAUNCY HOMERS***********

This argument of billups vs Parker is totally moot in every conceivable way.

Why, you Chauncy Homers may ask?
I shall reveal to you the answer:

Tony Parker is a starting point guard in the NBA whose strength is using his speed to get to the basket.

Chauncy Billups is a starting point guard in the NBA whose strength is 3 point shooting and getting to the basket as a result of habitually and continuously palming the ball.

Even better: Show me another player in this league who seriously knows no other way of dribbling other than to palm it.
I honestly think the refs let him do it because they know its the only way he knows how to dribble. He even has to palm it while dribbling and standing in place.

How pathetic is that?

The argument is moot.
:rolleyes

JamStone
11-09-2005, 11:25 AM
Still at this stage I think Chauncey is the better player, Parker still needs to work on his playmaking/jumpshot. Hios defense is underrated and his interior finish is the best for a pg bar none.

I personally think Allen Iverson finishes better in the interior than Tony Parker, but that's just me. Allen Iverson "absorbs" hits and still finishes close to the rim. Tony Parker "avoids" hits close to the rim by using the floater. I just think A.I. is better in this regard. Parker is close behind.

JamStone
11-09-2005, 11:34 AM

Allen Iverson, Tracy McGrady, Stephon Marbury among others. A lot of players palm the ball.

Oh, and for the record, palming the ball is not the same as travelling. Rip travels with the ball all the time. He doesn't get called for it very often either.

Truth is a lot of players in the league get away with things that are borderline in violation of the rules. Patrick Ewing used to travel when he did his hop step into the lane. Jordan got away with offensive push-offs all the time. Tim Hardaway used to palm the ball all the time.

Your argument is silly because if a player is pushing or bending the rules BUT IS GETTING AWAY WITH IT, then that player should by all means use that as an advantage. The argument is not moot. You just don't want to give a relevant and direct argument on Parker's behalf. The players play the game how it's called. If the referees decide to call it a certain way, the players should play under those interpretations.

How about an argument that Bruce Bowen really isn't really a good defensive player because he clutches shorts and taps elbows on jumpshots but gets away with it? HE GETS AWAY WITH IT, and bends the rules to his advantage. If you think Chauncey violates the rules because he palms the ball all the time but gets away with it, at least by that logic, agree that Bruce Bowen is not a good defensive player because he gets away with clutching and grabbing and fouling.

I don't feel that way, but I'd sure like to hear a Spurs fan admit that.

coopdogg3
11-09-2005, 11:48 AM
I personally think Allen Iverson finishes better in the interior than Tony Parker, but that's just me. Allen Iverson "absorbs" hits and still finishes close to the rim. Tony Parker "avoids" hits close to the rim by using the floater. I just think A.I. is better in this regard. Parker is close behind.

I think that's why AI is constantly playing through injuries as well though. AI gets injured a lot, he is tough enough to play through it, but I'll take a Tony Parker who makes the shot, avoids the hit, and stays healthy.

AI-square
11-09-2005, 12:00 PM
I think that's why AI is constantly playing through injuries as well though. AI gets injured a lot, he is tough enough to play through it, but I'll take a Tony Parker who makes the shot, avoids the hit, and stays healthy.

It's easier for Parker because the Spurs have a lot more scoring options. Parker sometimes avoids the shot altogether. He can afford to do that because there is Duncan and Manu, as well as quality scorers from the bench like Finley, NVE and Barry.

I noticed that Ginobili took a few bumps in the playoffs last season as well, when the Spurs needed a basket.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-09-2005, 12:02 PM
Do you think Chauncy would be called for more or less travelling violations than LeBron James if he represented his country in Olympic Basketball?

implacable44
11-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Billups is far better than Parker - this is not even a fair comparison -- you are talking a tier 1 point guard in Billups compared to a tier 2 point guard at best in Parker.

picnroll
11-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Here's a little stat form 82games.com

Zone 15: At the rim
Most attempts Tm Player FGM FGA FG%
PHI Iverson 313 539 .581
MIA Wade 256 481 .532
SA Parker 297 457 .650
NY Marbury 265 432 .613
CLE James 258 410 .629

Most accurate (Min 125 Att) Tm Player FGM FGA FG%
ORL Hill 163 219 .744
MIN Szczerbiak 132 185 .714
BOS Blount 100 140 .714
DEN Miller 207 292 .709
SEA Daniels 95 134 .709

Zone 16: Dunks
MIA O'Neal 258 273 .945
PHO Stoudemire 238 261 .912
DEN Martin 166 180 .922
ORL Howard 161 172 .936
PHO Marion 143 152 .941

Most accurate (Min 50 Att) Tm Player FGM FGA FG%
CLE James 128 130 .985
BOS Davis 59 60 .983
UTA Boozer 54 55 .982
LAC Brand 73 75 .975
DEN Johnson 61 63 .968

These are the glamour zones -- the players who can get to the rim for layups and dunks are generally going to be your superstars: Iverson, LeBron, Wade, Shaq, Stoudemire. Let's not overlook the guys who may not get there as often but can finish when they do, like Grant Hill and his league leading zone 15 percentage.

If you add the at the rim layups and dunk attempts together, the league leaders are:
1. Shaq
2. Stoudemire
3. Wade
4. Iverson
5. LeBron
6. Parker
7. Anthony
8. Marion
9. Marbury
10. J-Rich

link (http://82games.com/shotzones.htm)

Close, very close. Parker's amazing at or near the rim when you consider that he has zero hops. Look at the company he's keeping.

implacable44
11-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Here's a little stat form 82games.com

Zone 15: At the rim
PHI Iverson 313 539 .581
MIA Wade 256 481 .532
SA Parker 297 457 .650
NY Marbury 265 432 .613
CLE James 258 410 .629

Most accurate (Min 125 Att) Tm Player FGM FGA FG%
ORL Hill 163 219 .744
MIN Szczerbiak 132 185 .714
BOS Blount 100 140 .714
DEN Miller 207 292 .709
SEA Daniels 95 134 .709

Zone 16: Dunks
MIA O'Neal 258 273 .945
PHO Stoudemire 238 261 .912
DEN Martin 166 180 .922
ORL Howard 161 172 .936
PHO Marion 143 152 .941

Most accurate (Min 50 Att) Tm Player FGM FGA FG%
CLE James 128 130 .985
BOS Davis 59 60 .983
UTA Boozer 54 55 .982
LAC Brand 73 75 .975
DEN Johnson 61 63 .968

These are the glamour zones -- the players who can get to the rim for layups and dunks are generally going to be your superstars: Iverson, LeBron, Wade, Shaq, Stoudemire. Let's not overlook the guys who may not get there as often but can finish when they do, like Grant Hill and his league leading zone 15 percentage.

If you add the at the rim layups and dunk attempts together, the league leaders are:
1. Shaq
2. Stoudemire
3. Wade
4. Iverson
5. LeBron
6. Parker
7. Anthony
8. Marion
9. Marbury
10. J-Rich

link (http://82games.com/shotzones.htm)

Close, very close. Parker's amazing at or near the rim when you consider that he has zero hops. Look at the company he's keeping.

do these stats include breakway layups and fast break i.e. 3 on 1 etc.. attempts ? I would bet they do.

Admidave50
11-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Currently Billups > TP but let's see if TP can keep up his good performances!

Obstructed_View
11-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Show me another player in this league who seriously knows no other way of dribbling other than to palm it.
Dwayne Wade.

mavsfan1000
11-09-2005, 05:24 PM
Dwayne Wade.

For once I agree with you.

Obstructed_View
11-09-2005, 05:33 PM
For once I agree with you.
I know, I was thinking the same thing. :)

1Parker1
11-10-2005, 08:59 AM
Right now? Billups>>Parker. Even I'm not that much of a homer. :rolleyes :lol

Chauncey has a Finals MVP trophy, Parker doesn't.

MadDog73
11-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Right now, right now?

It's not even close. Parker is avg 22.6 pts with 58% shooting, and 5.8 assists.

Billups is avg. 13.8 pts with 37% shooting (?!?), and 8.8 assists.

At this early stage of the season, you could easily make the case that Parker is playing better than Billups.

He certainly is shooting better....

implacable44
11-10-2005, 09:37 AM
it has been 5 games dude and -that is actually not a statistic in his favor being that he is the point guard on a team that he should be the 3rd option at best - He is averaging more than TD and Ginobili right now. Not a good thing since he has taken more shots. - you know the whole point guard concept to pass and set up players to score - the Spurs offense doesn't really require a scoring PG.

I mean off that philosophy Anthony Carter, Jiri Welsch, Josh Childress, Brian Cook, Fransisco Elson, Earl Watson and Darius Songalia are the best 3 point shooters in the league.

Obstructed_View
11-10-2005, 09:41 AM
If Parker shoots 58 percent all season...

romsey31
11-10-2005, 09:48 AM

You would honestly take TP over AI??????????

coopdogg3
11-10-2005, 09:59 AM
You would honestly take TP over AI??????????

I was really just talking about which style of bball i prefer when close to the basket. I think AI is a better PG then Tony Parker. But if the 76ers offered a straight up trade (if the salaries worked) of AI for Parker, I would be opposed to it. I wouldn't want AI on this team, would you want AI as the starting PG for the Pacers??

jochhejaam
11-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Right now, right now?

It's not even close. Parker is avg 22.6 pts with 58% shooting, and 5.8 assists.

Billups is avg. 13.8 pts with 37% shooting (?!?), and 8.8 assists.

At this early stage of the season, you could easily make the case that Parker is playing better than Billups.

He certainly is shooting better....

Nice shooting edge for Parker but their are other considerations that when added allow for a clearer picture of who's better at this point in the season.

The assist difference equals 6 more points per game on Billups side of the ledger.

Turnovers- Billups 1.2 Parker 3.5 also equates to a team point differential

Steals- Billups .75 Parker .4

FT% Billups 89% Parker 69%

I guess the bottom line of who's better would be who would you rather have on your team?
Billups for sure here.

SouthernFried
11-10-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm not sure you can even compare the two.

Parker fits SA's style, and Billup's fits Detroits.

San Antonio needs a point who can drive to the basket. Billups is best backing and posting up his opponents. That would interfere with Timmy's game. Timmy is our post up guy, not Tony.

On Detroits team, Billups is probably their best Post up player. Rashid really ain't a post up guy.

2 totally different styles, for 2 different teams. The only similarity is tenacious defense. Billups can't guard Tony's speed, and Tony can't guard Billups size. Billup's is detroits #1 option...Tony's really #2 or 3...disregarding his quick start this year.

So I definetly wouldn't take Billups on our team, we don't need a post up guard, tho the assists would be nice. And I don't think Detroit would take Parker on their team on a head to head switch. They've gotten used to have a post-up guard, and need those assists from Billups. San Antonio gets our assists from Tim and Manu.

2 of the best point guards in the league...providing 2 totally different styles of play.

Viva la difference.

And having said all this...I still thing the best pure point guard in the league, is that little Canadian soccer player dood. Him, I'd take over Tony or Chauncy.

coopdogg3
11-10-2005, 10:13 AM
Well Billups low FG% also equates to a team point differential, that being said TP's 3.5 TO per game is way too high. Billups is probably my favorite PG playing today. I love his game. But the Spurs are 4-1 in no small part due to the way Parker is absolutely dominating the opponents back-court. If this continues Parker has definitely taken the leap.

/shrug The fact that Parker is being mentioned in the same breath as Billups makes me happy honestly, and Parker has plenty of time to improve even more.

implacable44
11-10-2005, 10:22 AM
top 5 pg in tony parker? - no way - who is he better than ?:

jkidd
baron davis
andre miller
billups
francis
AI
marbury
nash
tj ford
dwayne wade
gilbert arenas
mike bibby

??

OM_fever
11-10-2005, 10:53 AM
you're all comparing two players so different one from the other. First to really compare thing they have to be comparable, so maybe at the end of their career, we could compare their performance, but for todays you're comparing a player who is on his prime, with a team which fits perfectly with his speed & game to a player who is still very young, playing for a team which has a total different focus to his own (I would love see parker's production in a team like the Suns or other high speed caliber teams) and still improving a lot of his game aspects.

I would say yes Billups todays fit better to the Pistons game, however he doesn't have the possibility to change the way pistons play, parker yes... What would be Parker's production when he gains consistancy on his shot? Imagine the open space to drive to the rim (and if you take into consideration the stats table above, he should increase by far his number of points), the fact that increasing his shots would as well be really effective with the number of free throw he has each game...

And concerning the fact that he is surrounded by better offensive players would help him to get more assists . However when you have someone like Tim or Manu who has great passing abilities should have the opposite effect... not easy to say who is the best. At least, when it's a one on one, I would vote for Billups but only based on last year and because Spurs are a team which doesn't have a unique tempo, they had adapted their speed to the Piston's one, which doesn't help Parker who needs spaces & quick games...

xapatan2
11-10-2005, 12:03 PM
I'm not sure you can even compare the two.

Parker fits SA's style, and Billup's fits Detroits.

San Antonio needs a point who can drive to the basket. Billups is best backing and posting up his opponents. That would interfere with Timmy's game. Timmy is our post up guy, not Tony.

On Detroits team, Billups is probably their best Post up player. Rashid really ain't a post up guy.

2 totally different styles, for 2 different teams. The only similarity is tenacious defense. Billups can't guard Tony's speed, and Tony can't guard Billups size. Billup's is detroits #1 option...Tony's really #2 or 3...disregarding his quick start this year.

So I definetly wouldn't take Billups on our team, we don't need a post up guard, tho the assists would be nice. And I don't think Detroit would take Parker on their team on a head to head switch. They've gotten used to have a post-up guard, and need those assists from Billups. San Antonio gets our assists from Tim and Manu.

2 of the best point guards in the league...providing 2 totally different styles of play.

Viva la difference.

And having said all this...I still thing the best pure point guard in the league, is that little Canadian soccer player dood. Him, I'd take over Tony or Chauncy.

With the time passing, i am more and more F***ed up with all these people unable to recognise what Parker brings to the spurs and to recognise his tremendous evolution during the past four years in NBA....

But... I am SO HAPPY when someone like SouthernFried brings a clear and comprehensible overview of what is really at stake when there is the debate of comparing players....

Xap'

jochhejaam
11-10-2005, 12:15 PM

andre miller
tj ford

mike bibby

??
Better than those 3 which puts him in the top 10.

1Parker1
11-10-2005, 12:17 PM

jkidd
baron davis
andre miller
billups
francis
AI
marbury
nash
tj ford
dwayne wade --NOT A PG !
gilbert arenas
mike bibby

??

:lmao :lmao Hater...plain and simple.

TheTruth
11-10-2005, 12:25 PM

jkidd
baron davis
andre miller
billups
francis
AI
marbury
nash
tj ford
dwayne wade - not a pg
gilbert arenas
mike bibby

??

implacable44
11-10-2005, 01:41 PM
I dont know if I would put Parker ahead of Bibby or Andre - TJ Ford maybe but in 2 more years TJ Ford could have the same erratic shot that TP has and they will be the same player. Francis - No way is TP better than Francis - a consistent all-star - granted I don't want him on the Spurs because of his need to dominate the ball for 22 seconds of the shot clock but he can play. It is silly to say TP Is better than Marbury - just silly - and you can call Dwayne Wade a 2 all you want but the truth of the matter is he is just like AI - he bring it up more than anyone else on that team and initiates the offense.

1Parker1
11-10-2005, 01:56 PM
^:rolleyes

implacable44
11-10-2005, 02:09 PM
:lmao :lmao Hater...plain and simple.

so if I eliminate the names you did - that makes parker 8th

samikeyp
11-10-2005, 02:29 PM
right now...Parker is playing like a top 5 PG...its still early but he is playing really well. Hopefully he can do this all season.

1Parker1
11-10-2005, 02:34 PM
so if I eliminate the names you did - that makes parker 8th

Yes...which is exactly where I think he is...although that's without putting emphasis on this season's play so far. If he continue the way he has been these past 5 games...then he's Top 5 or 6 IMO.

The way you were implying and stating, Parker isn't even Top 15, which is a ridiculous statement...esp considering the other "Point Guards" you had on your list...

implacable44
11-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Yes...which is exactly where I think he is...although that's without putting emphasis on this season's play so far. If he continue the way he has been these past 5 games...then he's Top 5 or 6 IMO.

The way you were implying and stating, Parker isn't even Top 15, which is a ridiculous statement...esp considering the other "Point Guards" you had on your list...

actually i responded to a previous statement where pop said that he was a top 5 and I listed some names to see who he was better than - I mean you can add Sam Cassell, Smush Parker, MArko Jaric and some of those guys but I didn't think there was a question - the ones I wrote down were the names that struck me as some good point guards who I felt are as good or better than TP. I would say he is a top 10 pg - somewhere between 8 and 10 but then I am a little bias -- like you (although not to that extent) - I mean I didn't even put JAson Terry, Stoudamire or even Devin Harris who lit TP up when they played the Mavs.

1Parker1
11-10-2005, 02:57 PM
... but then I am a little bias -- like you (although not to that extent) - I mean I didn't even put JAson Terry, Stoudamire or even Devin Harris who lit TP up when they played the Mavs.

Ummm, it's a good thing you didn't mention those names earlier because I would have laughed even more. :rolleyes

JamStone
11-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Allen Iverson
Steve Nash
Jason Kidd
Baron Davis
Gilbert Arenas
Chauncey Billups

I think those point guards are better than Tony Parker.

Stephon Marbury
Andre Miller
Mike Bibby
TJ Ford
Steve Francis

I think these point guards are at the same level as Tony Parker. However, the way Tony has been playing, he would currently be better than any of those guys.

Dwyane Wade is still more of a shotting guard, in my mind. If you are going to include Dwyane Wade in a list of point guards, you might as well add Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, and maybe even LeBron James (or Larry Hughes), because they bring up the ball and initiate the offense more than the "listed" point guard on their respective teams.

implacable44
11-10-2005, 03:15 PM
Ummm, it's a good thing you didn't mention those names earlier because I would have laughed even more. :rolleyes

you would have laughed at what ? the way Devin Harris lit Tony Parker and the Spurs up ? yeah that would have been funny to laugh at.

samikeyp
11-10-2005, 03:18 PM
I would put TP over Terry and Stoudemire (not a few years ago for Damon but I think he is in decline now) and Devin Harris was awesome but one game does not make a player automatically better. He was for one night but not neccessarily forever.

implacable44
11-10-2005, 03:22 PM
I would put TP over Terry and Stoudemire (not a few years ago for Damon but I think he is in decline now) and Devin Harris was awesome but one game does not make a player automatically better. He was for one night but not neccessarily forever.

but parker is after 5 games ? the same parker who everyone wanted out for Jkidd a few years ago and the same Parker who lost minutes to Beno in crunch time becuase he got couled too hard and quit playing ?

samikeyp
11-10-2005, 03:36 PM
which is exactly why I posted this:

right now...Parker is playing like a top 5 PG...its still early but he is playing really well. Hopefully he can do this all season.

implacable44
11-10-2005, 03:39 PM
which is exactly why I posted this:

so cant i say devin harris is playing like a top 5 pg - hopefully he can keep this up all season ?

JamStone
11-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Is Smush Parker a top 5 point guard? LOL!

I know he just had an ineffective game last night, but look at his first few games!

mavsfan1000
11-10-2005, 04:04 PM
I would take Billups over Parker even early in the season because unlike Parker Billups plays defense. Devin Harris would not have such a great game if Billups was playing against him.

Nikos
11-10-2005, 04:13 PM
To me, in the regular season they are pretty much even.

The reason many consider Billups better is because of his playoff success -- his ability to raise his game and stats in the playoffs. Parker hasn't really done that, with the exception of the 2004 playoffs (pre-Game 3 vs LA). Before Game 3 in LA Parker was on his way towards superstardom at his position, but he came back down to earth by the series end.

Parker has always shown flashes of greatness; where he breaks down defenses, scores and sets up teamattes to near perfection when he is at his best. In last years playoffs he had a handful of excellent games and the rest he was pretty much underacheiving or playing poorly on the offensive end. He was a lot like that in the 2003 playoffs as well. Either Parker has a spectacular game or a "non-factor type of game" -- or at least that is the way it seems. The stats and box scores pretty much support this.

Parker has the opportunity this season to gain some seperation on most of the PG's who are considered at his level. If he can increase his offensive efficiency, namely in the playoffs, he will get the respect he deserves.

Bruno
11-10-2005, 04:15 PM
I would take Billups over Parker even early in the season because unlike Parker Billups plays defense. Devin Harris would not have such a great game if Billups was playing against him.

NVE played against Harris when he took fire.
harris scored only 6 again parker.
Try again.

mavsfan1000
11-10-2005, 04:19 PM
It was Bowen that shut down Billups in game 7 not Parker. Try again :lol

samikeyp
11-10-2005, 04:19 PM
so cant i say devin harris is playing like a top 5 pg - hopefully he can keep this up all season ?

Who said you couldn't? 5 games isn't much but its a better barometer than just one.

Bruno
11-10-2005, 04:22 PM
It was Bowen that shut down Billups in game 7 not Parker. Try again :lol

I never say Parker shut down Billups in game 7.

mavsfan1000
11-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Than you proved my point. Just look at Nash's and Billups stats in the playoffs last year to show that Parker isn't as good of a defender as Billups.

Bruno
11-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Than you proved my point. Just look at Nash's and Billups stats in the playoffs last year to show that Parker isn't as good of a defender as Billups.

I never say Parker is a better defender than Billups.
Billups is the better defender.
But when you speak of Harris, it's BS.

mavsfan1000
11-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Yeah Van Exel is really slow now. Parker didn't change much though when he came in the game late.

leemajors
11-10-2005, 04:45 PM
he came in the game way too late. if nothing else his speed would have helped work harris a bit more on the defensive end, but that game is long over with... =/

Pistons < Spurs
11-11-2005, 01:29 AM
Chauncey this year:

16.4 pts 9.2 assists 1.6 to's 2.8 rbs

89%ft 42%fg

TP this year:

22.6 pts 5.8assists 3.4to's 3.2rbs

72.2%ft 58.1%fg

They're both playing great this year. Hopefully they both keep it up.

But give me Billups any day of the week over TP.

picnroll
11-11-2005, 08:13 AM
Pistons get open looks by running off screens, Rip, Tayshun to an extent and someone, often Billups, delivering the ball. Guys running the screens do 90% of the work.

More and more the Spurs get open looks by Parker breaking down the defense on a drive and kicking to stationary open shooters. Parker does almost all the work setting up the players.

The abilities of Parker as a playmaker are vastly underrated, even by most Spurs fans here. Fact is Parker is a more gifted playmake than Billups or all but a small handful of NBA PGs in his ability to, with a simple pick, get easy, open shots for his teammates. That's what a playmaking PG is supposed to do, however they do it. That's what Parker does.

duncan2k5
11-11-2005, 04:18 PM

you have never watched tony play extensively then...tony abosrbs hits just as good as anyone and he does finish around the basket better than A.I. just because he DOES use floaters doesn't mean he doesn't finish any other way. i think its just that AI is the fabled "rim attacker" lil guy, so he gets more credit for finishing around the rim than tony. ESPN or TNT (cant remember) had a stat last year that tony attacked the rim more than any other point guard last year and made most of his attempts at the rim by far...i would think he had to get some sort of contact being down there so much...but thats me

theMUHMEshow
11-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Come on guys...Chauncey is the better player here without a doubt. Chauncey can take over a game at any moment, plus when the game is on the line he is lights out. I dont know how Parker would be without Duncan there to lead him. Chauncey is clearly the leader of the Pistons.

duncan2k5
11-11-2005, 07:11 PM
he might be the leader of the pistons, but he isnt better than tony. he has his advantages, but i would rather have tony. bullups has reaches his peak...he wont get any better...tony is much younger and is on the same level as billups (slightly better IMO). tony gets better every year...so its a no brainer to me

mike detroit
11-11-2005, 09:17 PM
a lot of you are right, this is just too hard a comparison to make. apples and oranges and all that. I love parker's game, but never in a thousand years would I want him on the pistons over billups. Chauncey has tailored his game to suit our team, he is really the perfect point for our system. TP is hardly the only one I feel this way about. I think Iverson is amazing, I respect the hell out of the way he plays. but on the pistons? no, I think i'd pass(an option that rarely occurs to AI:)).

z0sa
11-12-2005, 01:09 AM
Chauncey is more of a leader than Parker, but Parker is just as good at playmaking in my opinion. The main thing chauncey has on parker is the three point shot - parker is much better at driving and theyre about the same at dishing. so I think its a tie skill wise but chauncey brings more to the floor.